PDA

View Full Version : The Toronto Blue Jays want Brandon Phillips...to play third base.

TC81190
11-27-2009, 08:48 PM
http://www.theglobeandmail.com/sports/the-look-ahead/article1364415/

...if the Reds are serious about trading Brandon Phillips as has been speculated, the Toronto Blue Jays will be all over him. Blue Jays scouts think he has the arm to play third base – Phillips won a Gold Glove at second in 2008, but Aaron Hill’s not likely to be moved – and Phillips is well-known to both general manager Alex Anthopoulos and adviser Tony LaCava. LaCava was with the Montreal Expos in 1999 when Phillips was chosen second overall, and as an adviser with the Cleveland Indians, he pushed for him to be included in the Bartolo Colon deal. Phillips has two years and $19-million (U.S.) left on his contract.

Apparently O's fans are on board with this idea for their team as well:
http://forum.orioleshangout.com/forums/showthread.php?t=90263

Moosie52
11-27-2009, 09:53 PM
The Toronto press is well known for tampering. They did it with John Tavares before the NHL draft this year.

Ghosts of 1990
11-28-2009, 10:24 AM
What are they going to do with Edwin if they come and get Brandon to play third base?

I'm hoping we let Brandon stay put for one more year. If we could just have a winning season with this current nucleus, the Reds would hold onto a lot of these guys for a long run and only add, not subtract.

Vottomatic
11-28-2009, 12:42 PM
.......and we get Halladay in return? :)

Redsfan320
11-28-2009, 05:45 PM
[QUOTE=Vottomatic;1996080].......and we get Halladay in return? :)[/QUO

I wish. Seriously though, what about Overbay (move Votto to left) and Roenicke for Phillips. Then teach Francisco to play second. Not sure how great this would be, just throwing it out there for comments.

From sunny Florida,

texasdave
11-28-2009, 05:48 PM
There is no doubt that Phillips could play third base, but does he have the bat for it?

mroby85
11-28-2009, 06:09 PM
Did you mean Juan Francisco on 2nd? I haven't seen him play very much, but he doesn't look like he's built at all to play 2nd base. Trading Phillips from this team is one of the most ridiculous things i've ever heard. If they trade him they're dumber than I thought, and that's shockingly dumb.

Vottomatic
11-29-2009, 06:14 PM
Did you mean Juan Francisco on 2nd? I haven't seen him play very much, but he doesn't look like he's built at all to play 2nd base. Trading Phillips from this team is one of the most ridiculous things i've ever heard. If they trade him they're dumber than I thought, and that's shockingly dumb.

I agree. But it's a money thing. Phillips scheduled to make $7M next year and $11M in '11. They are probably trying to capitolize on his recent success to get something in trade return and cut payroll.

Dracodave
11-29-2009, 07:21 PM
I agree. But it's a money thing. Phillips scheduled to make $7M next year and $11M in '11. They are probably trying to capitolize on his recent success to get something in trade return and cut payroll.

My train of the thought is cashing in the "out machine" before he fully regresses with the bat. If thats Walt's train of thought, I'm okay with it if the return is selling high and not ditching payroll

BigPoppa
11-30-2009, 12:20 AM
There is no doubt that Phillips could play third base, but does he have the bat for it?

Did Edwin ?

flash
11-30-2009, 10:06 AM
If the Reds could get Rzepczyski for Phillips I would say go for it. But I don'e think the Jays would do it without a pitcher thrown in.

Redsfan320
11-30-2009, 02:51 PM
Trading Phillips from this team is one of the most ridiculous things i've ever heard. If they trade him they're dumber than I thought, and that's shockingly dumb.
Post #100 already:

I wasn't actually advocating trading Phillips. I was simply throwing the idea out there for everybody's thoughts.
BTW, the internet service here isn't the greatest, so I'm not sure how much I'll get to post.

From sunny Florida :cool:,

Dracodave
11-30-2009, 06:47 PM
I'm not advocating a trade if its to slash payroll. I'm advocating a trade if it boosts the talent level of the team. The same way I would if this was Harrang or Arroyo in talks.

Vottomatic
11-30-2009, 08:12 PM
If the Reds could get Rzepczyski for Phillips I would say go for it. But I don'e think the Jays would do it without a pitcher thrown in.

Phillips, Jukich, Dorn for Rzepczyski.

flash
12-01-2009, 10:10 AM
[QUOTE=Vottomatic;1996710]Phillips, Jukich, Dorn for Rzepczyski.[/QUOTE

I can't believe someone finally agrees with me. Rzepcyski would be a bigger bonaza than Halladay. 60 K's in 60 innings last year after he was called up. He is a little wild, but I believe he will be very good. He will be one of my top picks if I go for a fantasy league team this year.