PDA

View Full Version : UC Football 2009 Season pt. 2

Pages : 1 [2]

LoganBuck
12-11-2009, 07:51 AM
This team and senior class deserves another banquet after the bowl game win or lose. One where they can legitimately reflect and enjoy their many accomplishments without all the distractions. This one was taken away from them and they deserve it back.

Major Bowl games are rewards.

They will eat enough crayfish, shrimp, and oysters to kill all of them with food poisoning.

joshnky
12-11-2009, 11:19 AM
If you've never been a head coach before, at any level, I want no part of you becoming head coach of the Bearcats. Too many coordinators slip and fall when they finally put on the big headset.

Too many head coaches also fail when they move on to bigger programs. Some Louisville fans felt the same way regarding the hire of Charlie Strong. Looking at Louisville's history, Ron Cooper and Steve Kragthorpe were head coaches while Bobby Petrino was only an assistant.

As a fan of a program who just completed a coaching search, I want the best candidate, head coach or not.

wolfboy
12-11-2009, 11:24 AM
This team and senior class deserves another banquet after the bowl game win or lose. One where they can legitimately reflect and enjoy their many accomplishments without all the distractions. This one was taken away from them and they deserve it back.

Truer words have not been spoken. :beerme:

wolfboy
12-11-2009, 11:31 AM
Ugh -- just the news that would make my day better: Cincinnati looking at bringing in the guy who's team has crapped the bed not once, not twice, but thrice to unranked opponents this season (including a loss to a UTEP team that was coming of a 60+ point stomping at the hands of the Longhorns).

Sumlin has never recruited the midwest, and all his major experience is in the deep south.

Pass. Pass. Pass. This guy has "disaster" written all over him.

Just curious, but why do you say that he has never recruited the midwest? I'd think he would have during his time at Oklahoma, but that's just conjecture on my part. By midwest do you mean this area in particular?

texasdave
12-11-2009, 12:23 PM
Just make it so that the hiring school cannot go to a bowl game until the contract of the coach from the departing school expires. E.G.-If Kelly's contract with UC has two more years left on it, then ND has to sit out two bowl seasons.

IslandRed
12-11-2009, 12:42 PM
Just make it so that the hiring school cannot go to a bowl game until the contract of the coach from the departing school expires. E.G.-If Kelly's contract with UC has two more years left on it, then ND has to sit out two bowl seasons.

Who's going to make it that way? Not the schools. For every Cincinnati that wants to protect its current coach from being raided, there are five schools that just fired their coach and would prefer having options beyond assistants and the unemployed.

Cyclone792
12-11-2009, 12:45 PM
Just implement a playoff, which forces expanded games into mid December to determine the BCS Champ, and this would help squash the problem. ;)

Cyclone792
12-11-2009, 02:05 PM
Word I'm hearing from Mike Waddell is that UC is getting additional tickets allocated for the Sugar Bowl. This is simply outstanding news, and hopefully BCS officials are watching and remembering this for future years. I know UC was collecting a waiting list, and I'm not sure if they will have any additional tickets beyond their waiting list, but if you were interested in getting tickets through UC I'd suggest looking around cause it might be possible again.

Caveat Emperor
12-11-2009, 03:26 PM
Just curious, but why do you say that he has never recruited the midwest? I'd think he would have during his time at Oklahoma, but that's just conjecture on my part. By midwest do you mean this area in particular?

OH/KY/IN/MI/PA -- my understanding from talking to a friend of mine who is a bleeding-red Sooner fan is that Sumlin didn't stray to far from Norman when it came to recruiting. I don't know how true that is, though.

wolfboy
12-11-2009, 03:39 PM
OH/KY/IN/MI/PA -- my understanding from talking to a friend of mine who is a bleeding-red Sooner fan is that Sumlin didn't stray to far from Norman when it came to recruiting. I don't know how true that is, though.

I've read elsewhere that one of his strengths is recruiting, but I don't know one way or the other. I don't worry about his local ties as much because I think a move like Kelly made in hiring Coombs can rectify something like that. The big question for me is why his teams lost to such beatable opponents. Maybe they weren't as good as advertised, but it could be a huge red flag IMHO.

Caveat Emperor
12-11-2009, 04:16 PM
The big question for me is why his teams lost to such beatable opponents. Maybe they weren't as good as advertised, but it could be a huge red flag IMHO.

Agreed. They were obviously good enough to beat Oklahoma State in Stillwater -- but then to take a loss to UTEP by 17 points right after? Not happy about that at all.

I don't want a coach that will beat Pitt and WVU only to lose the next week against Syracuse.

wolfboy
12-11-2009, 04:43 PM
Agreed. They were obviously good enough to beat Oklahoma State in Stillwater -- but then to take a loss to UTEP by 17 points right after? Not happy about that at all.

I don't want a coach that will beat Pitt and WVU only to lose the next week against Syracuse.

It is a concern, but I think any coach will have big question marks. For example, Kelly had never beaten a BCS school prior to his arrival at UC. His record at CMU was an uninspiring 19-16. Granted, CMU was not in great shape when he arrived, but he also lost games he shouldn't have. His first CMU team could have arguably had a winning record. Over his three years there, he struggled mightily against lowly Eastern Michigan. Of course, he was a guy with a clear vision and plan on how to run a winning program. Whoever the choice is, that's what I want to see.

Reds4Life
12-11-2009, 05:24 PM
Maybe it's just me, but so far the names that have been talked about as possible replacements are pretty mediocre.

Al Golden - Gag me, please no.
Skip Holtz - No thanks.
Phil Fulmer - Had resources galore at UT, did nothing.

About the only one so far that has some appeal to it is Kevin Sumlin.

Reds Fanatic
12-11-2009, 05:42 PM
Here is an ESPN insider article on possible replacements at UC:

Four step up for Cincy job

The pool of candidates to succeed Brian Kelly is expanding. Tom Dienhart of Yahoo! Sports reports that Cincinnati has asked for permission to speak to Houston coach Kevin Sumlin, who supposedly is close to signing an extension with the Cougars. Dienhart also says that Oklahoma offensive coordinator Kevin Wilson and Temple coach Al Golden are potential candidates.

Bill Koch of the Cincinnati Enquirer also throws the name of ever-popular Boise State coach Chris Petersen out there, alongside three of the candidates we detail below.

ESPN The Magazine's Bruce Feldman had a surprise name for us in a Thursday chat: Phillip Fulmer. "I wondered if Fulmer could get that job and would they take him?" Feldman said in a chat today. "I doubt Tommy Tuberville would pursue it but I think Fulmer has less leverage because of his age and the way things finished at UT." Fulmer is the former Tennessee coach who has won 152 games in his career, but was ousted in 2008.

Here's a look at the other candidates:

Butch Jones, Central Michigan: For now, it appears Jones is at the top of athletic director Mike Thomas's wish list. Jones was successful following in Kelly's footsteps in Mount Pleasant, so why not tab him to do the same thing in the Queen City? Other schools obviously think he can coach: He reportedly was option No. 2 at Louisville and is in the mix at Marshall and Kansas.

Skip Holtz, Easy Carolina: Holtz also is a rising star, and he has experience recruiting the area for Notre Dame. But at this point in his career, he may have his eye set on a more marquee job. (He's already been in the Big East of sorts -- at UConn before the Huskies joined the conference for football.) Plus, the transition from Kelly's system to his might be more problematic; we already know it works with Jones.

Jeff Quinn, Cincinnati offensive coordinator: Quinn has been Kelly's right-hand man for so long, it's hard to see him striking out on his own now. But he's still relatively young (47), and he may want to avoid a rep as a lifelong assistant. If he has greater aspirations, now would be the time.

Kerry Coombs, Cincinnati associate head coach: Coombs is rumored to have been anointed as the next coach already, and that just confuses us. Yes, he has the title associate head coach, but up until 2007 he was a local high school coach (albeit a successful one). It's not a direct comparison by any means, but you'll recall that Gerry Faust was a Cincinnati prep coach when he was tabbed by Notre Dame to replace Dan Devine, and that didn't exactly work out.

Reds4Life
12-11-2009, 05:50 PM
Quinn is going with Kelly to be the OC at Notre Dame.

joshnky
12-11-2009, 07:43 PM
Quinn is going with Kelly to be the OC at Notre Dame.

So, he wouldn't take the UC job if offered?

cincrazy
12-11-2009, 08:15 PM
Maybe it's just me, but so far the names that have been talked about as possible replacements are pretty mediocre.

Skip Holtz - No thanks.

I don't think UC should pursue Fulmer, but you have to give him more credit than "did nothing." He had some great teams at Tennessee, and won a national championship. The Vols were a powerhouse for many, many years. The fact that his final couple of years were poor shouldn't take away from his entire body of work.

dabvu2498
12-11-2009, 08:25 PM
Maybe it's just me, but so far the names that have been talked about as possible replacements are pretty mediocre. Al Golden - Gag me, please no. Skip Holtz - No thanks. Phil Fulmer - Had resources galore at UT, did nothing. About the only one so far that has some appeal to it is Kevin Sumlin. Fulmer did nothing at UT? 1998 disagrees with you. If you want to say he is washed up, I could go for that. To say he did nothing is incorrect. 152 wins is a lot.

KoryMac5
12-11-2009, 09:36 PM

Skip Holtz - No thanks.

Tough response here to some of the potential candidates. Golden and Holtz are both rising stars that are a little better at coaching than what you are giving them credit for. I mean Golden actually has brought Temple back from the dead, if he can win at Temple think of what he could do with some talent. Skip Holtz 4 bowl appearences in 5 seasons with East Carolina, plus upsets of VT and WV in the same season, not too shabby.

To me the Bearcats should look for an offensive minded coach and to me Holtz foots that bill. However I think it is going to depend on what system the coach will employ and how smooth the transition will be from one offense to the next.

Revering4Blue
12-11-2009, 10:53 PM
Ugh -- just the news that would make my day better: Cincinnati looking at bringing in the guy who's team has crapped the bed not once, not twice, but thrice to unranked opponents this season (including a loss to a UTEP team that was coming of a 60+ point stomping at the hands of the Longhorns).

Sumlin has never recruited the midwest, and all his major experience is in the deep south.

Pass. Pass. Pass. This guy has "disaster" written all over him.

http://www.indy.com/posts/ex-purdue-lb-sumlin-revives-houston-program

Butch Jones is the best choice, but IMO, Sumlin is no slouch, either.

Redlegs23
12-12-2009, 01:41 PM
Jones and Sumlin would be the two guys that I would focus on. I have no doubt that Mike Thomas will bring in the best guy that he can get. So far I think he has done a VERY good job on hiring coaches.

Cronin has taken a lot of heat, but that's looking more and more like a good hire. And I think you would have been dumb not to take Cronin if you were Mike Thomas. Cronin's resume was a perfect fit for UC. He is from Cincy, assistant under Huggs, assistant under Pitino, successful at Murray State, and reputation as being a great recruiter, what wasn't to like.

Also, Thomas obviously hit a homerun with the Brian Kelly hire, when many people were calling for a more well known coach.

I have faith that Thomas will bring in the right guy.

paintmered
12-12-2009, 04:17 PM
We can cross Sumlin off the list. He withdrew his name from consideration for the job. I can't say I'm all that upset for the many reasons explained by CE.

http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/sports/college/houston/6766918.html

I'm not dead set on a candidate but I'm tentatively in the Jeff Quinn camp now.

Reds4Life
12-12-2009, 06:44 PM
Count me out on Quinn. He doesn't impress me. He's the OC in name only, Kelly called the plays.

I get the feeling UC is looking to hire on the cheap.

GIDP
12-12-2009, 06:46 PM
Count me out on Quinn. He doesn't impress me. He's the OC in name only, Kelly called the plays.

I get the feeling UC is looking to hire on the cheap.

I doubt they hire on the cheap. I think they go and get one of the top named guys that are for the position.

Reds4Life
12-12-2009, 06:54 PM
I doubt they hire on the cheap. I think they go and get one of the top named guys that are for the position.

Don't know who that would be. None of the names mentioned are current BCS coaches. Honestly, I've been pretty disappointed with the names being thrown out there. It's not like who ever takes this job is walking into a wasteland. This team will be ranked top 15 (maybe top 10) in the pre season and will be favored to win the Big East again next year.

Caveat Emperor
12-12-2009, 06:56 PM
We can cross Sumlin off the list. He withdrew his name from consideration for the job. I can't say I'm all that upset for the many reasons explained by CE.

http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/sports/college/houston/6766918.html

I'm not dead set on a candidate but I'm tentatively in the Jeff Quinn camp now.

If you're going to target Quinn, may as well go talk to Dave Christensen at Wyoming. At least he has HC experience and, obviously, showed the initiative to go get his own program -- which Quinn hasn't to this point. Or, if it's system continuity you're after, Butch Jones up at CMU.

Quinn worries me a little -- mostly because he's been tied at the hip to Kelly for two decades and shown little interest in branching out on his own. That indicates, to me at least, that he lacks a little bit of that drive or ambition that you need to be a successful coach and successful salesman for your program. Maybe I'm reading it wrong, but when I look at Quinn, I see a guy who's content to be #2. Not sure I like that in a college coach.

Further, you've gotta wonder what Jeff Quinn actually does -- by all accounts, it's Kelly's playbook and Kelly's gameplan that's been implemented for Cincinnati (and CMU, and GVSU) on offense. Kelly calls the plays on gameday. Quinn seems more like a middleman or point-man for Kelly with the position coaches and a worker-bee as opposed to a guy who can be the leader.

I dunno. I'd be cool letting him go continue to be Kelly's shadow in ND.

GIDP
12-12-2009, 06:56 PM
Don't know who that would be. None of the names mentioned are current BCS coaches. Honestly, I've been pretty disappointed with the names being thrown out there. It's not like who ever takes this job is walking into a wasteland. This team will be ranked top 15 (maybe top 10) in the pre season and will be favored to win the Big East again next year.

Not many coaches in the BCS would likely go from a BCS school to another BCS school unless its the big time programs.

Reds4Life
12-12-2009, 07:00 PM
Not many coaches in the BCS would likely go from a BCS school to another BCS school unless its the big time programs.

They will if they have a better chance to win, and more money.

UC wanted to run with the big boys, and now they are. If you want to maintain it, then you gotta pay to play. I have a feeling they aren't willing to do that.

GIDP
12-12-2009, 07:03 PM
They will if they have a better chance to win, and more money.

UC wanted to run with the big boys, and now they are. If you want to maintain it, then you gotta pay to play. I have a feeling they aren't willing to do that.
Uc still isnt a big boy. There is a lot of teams that are in the same class of Cincy like Kansas. The only way they get a big named guy is if the guy came from the school. Give Cincy maybe another coach with success then they probably might be getting close to the upper tier of programs.

Reds4Life
12-12-2009, 07:05 PM
Uc still isnt a big boy. There is a lot of teams that are in the same class of Cincy like Kansas.

Over the last 3 seasons, the BCS teams that have won as many games as UC, or played in consecutive BCS bowls, ain't many.

GIDP
12-12-2009, 07:07 PM
Over the last 3 seasons, the BCS teams that have won as many games as UC, or played in consecutive BCS bowls, ain't many.

There is a history though. I mean this year Cincy was the 3rd best team debatable 2nd best. Does that mean they should be able to go and get any coach they want?

I'm not saying they are scrubs im just saying they dont really have as much credit as some bigger targets probably want.

Reds4Life
12-12-2009, 07:13 PM
There is a history though. I mean this year Cincy was the 3rd best team debatable 2nd best. Does that mean they should be able to go and get any coach they want?

I'm not saying they are scrubs im just saying they dont really have as much credit as some bigger targets probably want.

I don't mean trying to hire Urban Meyer, or something alone those lines. But it seems that UC is aiming small. Even if you don't hire a proven coach from a BCS program, does it hurt to try? Of the names rumored, it looks like they aren't even making an effort to do so.

I think the reason for that is simple.....they don't want to pay em'.

BearcatShane
Butch Jones is my #1 and Quinn is my #2. He was with Kelly for 20 years, do we really believe he doesn't know the plays?

GIDP
I don't mean trying to hire Urban Meyer, or something alone those lines. But it seems that UC is aiming small. Even if you don't hire a proven coach from a BCS program, does it hurt to try? Of the names rumored, it looks like they aren't even making an effort to do so.

What guy would you have in mind?

DTCromer
12-12-2009, 08:11 PM

UC plays in arguably the weakest BCS football conference in a smaller market of Cincinnati. IT's going to take a lot to bring in another coach from another BCS conference. Heck, you won't even get an interview from a lot of coaches at non-BCS schools like TCU and the likes because they can still compete for a NC there. It has nothing to do with money.

UC fans are thinking too big. You're not going to snag someone from another BCS conference. . .it would just be a lateral move. And if they move from another BCS conference school, it's because they're probably about ready to get fired.

I think UC would do very well with Skip Holtz. The more I think about Jones, the more I dislike him. He rode Kelly's coattails at CMU and lost some questionable games against inferior opponents this year.

Holtz would be 1 guy. I'd also look for someone like Brady Hoke at SDSU. He turned around Ball State's program and they were absolutely HORRENDOUS before he got there. He moved onto SDSU because of Ball State pays absolutely nothing. Not to mention, I think he'd bring along Stan Parrish as an OC who is the current head coach at Ball State and would probably make comparable money as OC with less headaches.

Hoke graduated from Michigan and recruited this area as good as he could at BSU.

Gus Malzahn is another possibility, but he's a guy prone to leave early once someone from the SEC comes calling so I wouldn't even bother.

Holtz and Hoke are my 2 choices.

Overall, after reading UC message boards and this board, I think if Combs or Quinn were hired, they would be terrible hires. UC can get someone more experienced AND better. Not to mention, Quinn might be going with Kelly to ND. I really like Holtz and Hoke, with Jones as being someone I could live with. Just my personal opinion.

joshnky
12-12-2009, 08:28 PM

To get a realistic idea of where UC football ranks money-wise: TCU generated $16.6 million dollars in revenue last year. UC generated only $11.5 playing in a BCS bowl and in a BCS conference. Until UC upgrades the stadium and facilities they will struggle to attract and pay top coaches.

The reality is that given the current state of their athletic department, money-wise, UC will struggle to be a consistent player on the national scene and even a consistent player in the Big East. I'm not saying they can't do it, just that it is more difficult for them compared to their peers because they don't have the money.

Caveat Emperor
12-12-2009, 08:42 PM
Overall, after reading UC message boards and this board, I think if Combs or Quinn were hired, they would be terrible hires. UC can get someone more experienced AND better. Not to mention, Quinn might be going with Kelly to ND. I really like Holtz and Hoke, with Jones as being someone I could live with. Just my personal opinion.

I agree with your assessments -- UC is not going to lure another BCS-level coach away from his team. I think that idea is lunacy and more the product of homerism and bias than anything else. UC the team is far ahead of UC the program, and there are lots of things that will be hinderances to UC's continued growth until they get corrected: the stadium size, lack of premium seats in the stadium, low booster support, etc.

Some of these issues can get resolved within the next 5-10 years if the chain of success is unbroken (i.e. a few more BE titles) and if the BE continues to grow and doesn't get raided for more teams in the next round of conference swapping.

The guy I'm continuing to look at is Dave Christensen from Wyoming. He seems like he would be a perfect fit for the job.

BearcatShane
12-12-2009, 11:10 PM
I'm pretty sure Butch Jones will get this job. At least I hope so.

Revering4Blue
12-13-2009, 12:13 PM
FootballCoachScoop has BREAKING NEWS and the FIRST TO REPORT that Butch Jones (Central Michigan Head Coach) will be named Head Coach at Marshall by
Athletic Director Mike Hamrick this week. Our sources believe it could happen as early as Wednesday. According to our sources, MU flew a private charter
to Michigan to pick up the coach and his wife, Barb, for a visit with Thundering Herd Athletic Director Mike Hamrick.

Remember, this site also repeatedly reported that BK was not going to ND. We'll see if this is true.

paintmered
12-13-2009, 12:19 PM
Some good news. Katz just posted on his Twitter that Coombs won't be going to Notre Dame. He is absolutely crucial if UC has any hopes of keeping some of the local kids in Clifton.

I also want to see one of the GCL coaches added to the staff of the new coach. The foundation for continued success at UC is keeping the talent at home.

jimbo
12-13-2009, 12:39 PM
Katz just posted on his Twitter that Coombs won't be going to Notre Dame.

I'll believe it when I see it.

Reds4Life
12-13-2009, 12:41 PM
I'll believe it when I see it.

You can believe it. Coombs has been in Cincinnati his entire life, all his family lives here. There is zero chance he goes with Kelly.

Caveat Emperor
12-13-2009, 12:49 PM
You can believe it. Coombs has been in Cincinnati his entire life, all his family lives here. There is zero chance he goes with Kelly.

Yup. I've already got word from people very close to the situation that Coombs has no interest in following Kelly to ND.

As much as I dislike him as a potential head coach, he's an instrumental part of the local recruiting and the best weapon to combat Kelly's future attempts to get local kids to leave for South Bend.

paintmered
12-13-2009, 01:07 PM
Remember, this site also repeatedly reported that BK was not going to ND. We'll see if this is true.

If that's the case, I fully expect Butch Jones to be the next UC coach. :laugh:

GIDP
12-13-2009, 01:33 PM
If that's the case, I fully expect Butch Jones to be the next UC coach. :laugh:

:laugh: isnt that the truth lol

paintmered
12-13-2009, 04:31 PM
Everyone's favorite rag website is "reporting" that Quinn interviewed and Jones will interview tomorrow.

SeeinRed
12-14-2009, 11:06 AM
How would everyone feel about Mike Zimmer or Shannahan?

Reds4Life
12-14-2009, 11:15 AM
How would everyone feel about Mike Zimmer or Shannahan?

For UC? Don't see that happening ever.

Now for the Bengals, I'm for either one. :D

Cyclone792
12-14-2009, 11:17 AM
How would everyone feel about Mike Zimmer or Shanahan?

I'm hearing the same rumbles. Makes me wonder if there's any smoke there?

Reds4Life
12-14-2009, 11:19 AM
I'm hearing the same rumbles. Makes me wonder if there's any smoke there?

Are you guys posting in the right thread?

How on earth could UC afford Shanahan? Mike Zimmer is probably going to be an NFL coach next year, why would he take the UC job?

And this is coming from a UC fan who wants them to step up and hire a big name.

SeeinRed
12-14-2009, 11:46 AM
Are you guys posting in the right thread?

How on earth could UC afford Shanahan? Mike Zimmer is probably going to be an NFL coach next year, why would he take the UC job?

And this is coming from a UC fan who wants them to step up and hire a big name.

Shanahan is a friend of Thomas from what I hear. Also, Zimmer interviews today from what I hear. Sure Paint has heard the same things. Obviously, you'd have to question the interest level of both, but either would be an interesting hire to say the least.

Reds4Life
12-14-2009, 11:52 AM
Shanahan is a friend of Thomas from what I hear. Also, Zimmer interviews today from what I hear. Sure Paint has heard the same things. Obviously, you'd have to question the interest level of both, but either would be an interesting hire to say the least.

Shanahan would bolt as soon as a good NFL team offered him a job.

It would be a helluva headline for UC though.

Roy Tucker
12-14-2009, 12:09 PM
I read this article in the paper over the weekend about Quinn and this is how you say things without really saying anything. He was asked if he was interested in the UC job. Kelly should have taken notes...

http://news.cincinnati.com/article/20091211/SPT0101/312110058/1064/Quinn+s+first+move++Give+players+a+break

Quinn said he has not had discussions with Thomas about his candidacy for the UC head coaching job, but he made no secret of his interest.

“This is a great situation,” Quinn said. “Maybe it wasn’t this way three years ago. Who wouldn’t want to coach the University of Cincinnati Bearcats? It’s going to be a very competitive situation. There’s really nothing to comment on until the process takes place. Anybody would be honored (to coach at UC). I would personally be honored.”

But he says his focus now is on getting the players ready for Florda.

“Anybody who knows Jeff Quinn knows the type of coach, type of person, the type of professional that I am,” Quinn said. “It’s very important that we maintain a high level of enthusiasm and focus on the task at hand, really not putting a lot of emphasis on Jeff Quinn being the next head football coach.

“We all stand to benefit from another win, the greatest season capped off by the greatest win. To pull that off, we have got to keep our focus.”

joshnky
12-14-2009, 12:11 PM

So Zimmer is going to abandon the Bengals mid-season? I would be shocked if Zimmer is actually a candidate. If the Bengals make a playoff run UC wouldn't have his services until mid-January at best. The time in the interim will be enough to lose the recruiting class.

Reds4Life
12-14-2009, 12:25 PM
So Zimmer is going to abandon the Bengals mid-season? I would be shocked if Zimmer is actually a candidate. If the Bengals make a playoff run UC wouldn't have his services until mid-January at best. The time in the interim will be enough to lose the recruiting class.

I agree 100%.

I can't see this happening. I can't see the Bengals allowing him to interview for any positions right now either. If the Bengals were already eliminated from the playoffs...maybe. But right now? I just can't see it.

Reds4Life
12-14-2009, 12:27 PM
I read this article in the paper over the weekend about Quinn and this is how you say things without really saying anything. He was asked if he was interested in the UC job. Kelly should have taken notes...

http://news.cincinnati.com/article/20091211/SPT0101/312110058/1064/Quinn+s+first+move++Give+players+a+break

People who refer to themselves in third person shouldn't be considered.

SeeinRed
12-14-2009, 12:47 PM

Who says he would have to leave mid-season. Quinn could coach the bowl game and then Zimmer could take over after the NFL season. I'm sure if UC and him were really interested in these talks, things could be worked out. Not saying it would happen, but the longer this search goes the more I think MT is willing to let Quinn coach the game.

SeeinRed
12-14-2009, 12:50 PM
I can't see the Bengals allowing him to interview for any positions right now either.

Zimmer was to interview today. Thats from some pretty reliable sources. Again that the interview isn't more than just a token one but I'd put my money on the interview actually happening.

SeeinRed
12-14-2009, 12:54 PM
All of this is just meant to be some interesting thoughts, not something that I present as something that I think has a chance of actually happening for the record.

GIDP
12-14-2009, 01:03 PM
I would find it amazing if Zimmer went to any college team.

Reds4Life
12-14-2009, 01:16 PM
Who says he would have to leave mid-season. Quinn could coach the bowl game and then Zimmer could take over after the NFL season. I'm sure if UC and him were really interested in these talks, things could be worked out. Not saying it would happen, but the longer this search goes the more I think MT is willing to let Quinn coach the game.

Would be giving up on recruiting though. The rest of the staff would be gone, and just be Coombs left.

joshnky
12-14-2009, 01:18 PM
Zimmer was to interview today. Thats from some pretty reliable sources. Again that the interview isn't more than just a token one but I'd put my money on the interview actually happening.

Sorry, but I question your sources because this makes absolutely no sense. First, Zimmer will be the hot name this off-season for an NFL head coaching position and is likely to be named the assistant of the year in the NFL. Second, he has no roots in this city and no connection prior to 2008. If, he was looking to return to college, the Kansas position would have made more sense because he spent a lot of time in Big 12 country and was once considered for the Nebraska job. Finally, he has been out of the college game for 20 years and has shown no interest. All of that is in addition to the point I already made and the point R4L made that Mike Brown would likely ask UC to wait until the off-season to interview.

Why Not?
12-14-2009, 01:19 PM
As an impartial observer, I'm flabbergasted by how angry people are at Cincinnati about Kelly's departure. I mean, you had to know anybody who had success with that program would move on.

There are a handful of programs that coaches just don't turn down (like Notre Dame) and a handful of programs that keep coaches for 20+ years (Cincy ain't one of them).

joshnky
12-14-2009, 01:21 PM
As an impartial observer, I'm flabbergasted by how angry people are at Cincinnati about Kelly's departure. I mean, you had to know anybody who had success with that program would move on.

There are a handful of programs that coaches just don't turn down (like Notre Dame) and a handful of programs that keep coaches for 20+ years (Cincy ain't one of them).

Read the thread. People aren't mad that he left just that he burnt every bridge he could on the way out of town.

GIDP
12-14-2009, 01:23 PM
Nothing to do with him leaving but the way and all the reports on how it went down.

Reds4Life
12-14-2009, 01:29 PM

As the others said, it's all about the way he left. His preaching about how he was going to stay, this is a destination job and all the rest...meanwhile he was hiring PR firms to leave and lying to everyone for at least a month.

Hoosier Red
12-14-2009, 01:45 PM
Sorry, but I question your sources because this makes absolutely no sense. First, Zimmer will be the hot name this off-season for an NFL head coaching position and is likely to be named the assistant of the year in the NFL. Second, he has no roots in this city and no connection prior to 2008. If, he was looking to return to college, the Kansas position would have made more sense because he spent a lot of time in Big 12 country and was once considered for the Nebraska job. Finally, he has been out of the college game for 20 years and has shown no interest. All of that is in addition to the point I already made and the point R4L made that Mike Brown would likely ask UC to wait until the off-season to interview.

Actually, Zimmer probably won't be that hot of a name in NFL circles. There are currently 6 ex head coaches with Super Bowl rings. Now some may not move back to football(Dungy, Billick, Gruden) and some may not move back to head coaching(Holmgren) but any team looking to make a splash is going to go with start with those 6 names. Then you've got Leslie Frazier in Minnesota, the coordinators for the Saints and Colts, and than probably Zimmer.

So UC may be a good spot to get some head coaching experience.

Eric_the_Red
12-14-2009, 01:59 PM

Cross these names off then:

http://www.honoludell.net/FLB/images/rickey_henderson_base.jpg

http://rocker66843.files.wordpress.com/2009/09/the-rock1.jpg

Caveat Emperor
12-14-2009, 02:34 PM

What if he called himself "The Q" -- kinda like "The Situation" on Jersey Shore. I think I could get behind a coach who chided reporters in press conferences with statements like "You dare question The Q's decisionmaking process? Stand up when you're talking to The Q!"

FWIW -- I heard last night that Skip Holtz was the current clubhouse leader, but I'd also heard that there was at least one "mystery name" that hadn't surfaced yet. And then, today, Rivals broke that Shanahan and Zimmer were both coming in for interviews.

Most people expect this thing to be finalized by the end of the week -- so anyone interviewing at this point probably has already expressed a genuine interest in the job.

And, to echo R4L's point -- this cannot linger on past the bowl season. A lot of Cincinnati's verbals are already getting offers to take additional campus visits, and the school is in danger of losing a lot of it's recruiting class if they don't get someone in place.

LoganBuck
12-14-2009, 02:55 PM
And, to echo R4L's point -- this cannot linger on past the bowl season. A lot of Cincinnati's verbals are already getting offers to take additional campus visits, and the school is in danger of losing a lot of it's recruiting class if they don't get someone in place.

I am out of the loop on the inner workings of UC's recruiting class. Has Brian Kelly tried to grab any of them and take them along to ND? Are there any players in that group who are Notre Dame level recruits?

SeeinRed
12-14-2009, 03:45 PM

FWIW -- I heard last night that Skip Holtz was the current clubhouse leader, but I'd also heard that there was at least one "mystery name" that hadn't surfaced yet. And then, today, Rivals broke that Shanahan and Zimmer were both coming in for interviews.

As I said before, just because he interviews doesn't mean he has full out interest in the job, but Zimmer will/has interviewed for the job. Caveat and Paint have said the same. No reason to question the sources just the interest of Zimmer in the UC job.

Why Not?
12-14-2009, 04:22 PM
As the others said, it's all about the way he left. His preaching about how he was going to stay, this is a destination job and all the rest...meanwhile he was hiring PR firms to leave and lying to everyone for at least a month.

Gotcha. I just think that's sort of the way it's done. It's not too different than Rich Rodriguez leaving WVU. People are still furious about that in my home state. But in reality, how could he NOT take that job?

I think of Roy Williams and his "I don't give a bleep about North Carolina" interview after the Final Four game.

Coaches say what they have to say at the moment. Seems like there is -- by definition -- a little bit of deception whenever a coach leaves one school for another. I'm not defending Kelly and I'm certainly not criticizing Cincy.....it just seems like these coaching moves are sometimes taken a little too personally.

Cyclone792
12-14-2009, 04:37 PM
Gotcha. I just think that's sort of the way it's done. It's not too different than Rich Rodriguez leaving WVU. People are still furious about that in my home state. But in reality, how could he NOT take that job?

I think of Roy Williams and his "I don't give a bleep about North Carolina" interview after the Final Four game.

Coaches say what they have to say at the moment. Seems like there is -- by definition -- a little bit of deception whenever a coach leaves one school for another. I'm not defending Kelly and I'm certainly not criticizing Cincy.....it just seems like these coaching moves are sometimes taken a little too personally.

As R4L and others have said, it's about the process on how it was done, specifically how Kelly handled the situation with the players. In the end, coaches will lie to fans and they'll lie to the media, that's to be expected and nobody should be surprised about it.

But on the other hand, in college athletics, coaches are always preaching to players (at least claiming so) character, honesty, integrity, sportsmanship, etc. What's highly disappointing for me was when Kelly just went and violated all of that with regards to his own players. These are guys aged 18-22 years - some of whom grew up in broken families - and they don't deserve to have a football coach who they've looked up to just go ahead and treat them how Kelly did last week.

Nevertheless, my personal stance on Kelly is I still very much appreciate everything positive he did for UC football. This was a program that needed to be cultivated, it needed some tender care, and it needed someone willing to provide the leadership in an effort to boost this program forward. Brian Kelly very likely did accelerate this program's growth over the last three years as well as anybody could have, and I'm grateful for that. I've personally had a whole bunch of fun the past few years at UC football games, and I know Brian Kelly is responsible for a good chunk of that.

In the end, it was inevitable that he was going to leave at some point. I just wish he would have handled the entire situation better with his own players. Those are the guys that really deserved upfront honesty from him, and by all accounts they didn't get that.

texasdave
12-14-2009, 05:12 PM

Texasdave agrees. This is why Texasdave declined an opportunity to interview.

As an aside, does anyone think Kelly is helping UC prepare for the Florida game behind the scenes? 13-0 would look pretty nice in the record books and years from now who is going to know he didn't coach the last game?

paintmered
12-14-2009, 06:20 PM

I don't have any inside sources and am reading the same things you are. I don't know what to say to the rumors other than Shanahan would be a big boy hire. Until other sources corroborate this rumor, I don't put much stock in it. But if it's true, then that's a belly-flop off the high dive kind of big splash.

Puffy
12-14-2009, 06:35 PM
Nevertheless, my personal stance on Kelly is I still very much appreciate everything positive he did for UC football. This was a program that needed to be cultivated, it needed some tender care, and it needed someone willing to provide the leadership in an effort to boost this program forward. Brian Kelly very likely did accelerate this program's growth over the last three years as well as anybody could have, and I'm grateful for that. I've personally had a whole bunch of fun the past few years at UC football games, and I know Brian Kelly is responsible for a good chunk of that.

Kelly came out today and stated that he'd like to start scheduling Cincinnati. I think that would be excellent for both teams (provided the game in Cincinnati would be played at Paul Brown for time being).

Cincinnati gets a huge gate plus a big boy on the non-conference side of things, and keeps up the momentum that Kelly helped bring there (as did Dantanio) and ND fills out the Big East portion of their schedule each year with Pitt, Cincinnati and then one other team.

Win/win.

paintmered
12-14-2009, 06:39 PM
Kelly came out today and stated that he'd like to start scheduling Cincinnati. I think that would be excellent for both teams (provided the game in Cincinnati would be played at Paul Brown for time being).

Cincinnati gets a huge gate plus a big boy on the non-conference side of things, and keeps up the momentum that Kelly helped bring there (as did Dantanio) and ND fills out the Big East portion of their schedule each year with Pitt, Cincinnati and then one other team.

Win/win.

I disagree. It's nothing more than "I want to recruit Cincinnati" and this is a way to do it. Besides, UC already has two BCS teams in their non-conference schedule each year. Mike Thomas would be foolish to agree to it.

joshnky
12-14-2009, 07:08 PM

I believe Notre Dame has to schedule three Big East teams a year so this really isn't a shock. And I also believe they have to rotate through the league so at some point they will have a home and home with Cincy. He really isn't conceding anything that hasn't already been conceded.

GIDP
12-14-2009, 07:24 PM

Win/win.

Kelly just wants to up his schedule so he goes for the easy target of Cincy.

Caveat Emperor
12-14-2009, 07:57 PM

See if he'll agree to play at a neutral site in Maryland.

paintmered
12-14-2009, 11:08 PM
The Shanahan rumors are false (big surprise there). But there might be something to the Mike Zimmer rumors. If this was a simple competition of the best resume among the remaining island dwellers, he'd win easily.

SeeinRed
12-14-2009, 11:29 PM
The Shanahan rumors are false (big surprise there). But there might be something to the Mike Zimmer rumors. If this was a simple competition of the best resume among the remaining island dwellers, he'd win easily.

Yeah, that whole thing really upsets me. No way i pay for that subscription anymore. Lost all my respect for that site. What a crappy way to do reporting. My apologies to everyone, especially joshnky an R4L. I heard that rumor from a lot of different people so i don't really see what good comes from these types of tricks.

I'd much rather discuss UC sports here than that other board anyway!

paintmered
12-14-2009, 11:42 PM
Yeah, that whole thing really upsets me. No way i pay for that subscription anymore. Lost all my respect for that site. What a crappy way to do reporting. My apologies to everyone, especially joshnky an R4L. I heard that rumor from a lot of different people so i don't really see what good comes from these types of tricks.

I wouldn't be so hard on Bearcatlair. I think their information is better than the UC Scout site although I don't subscribe to either. It may have been something as simple as a bad game of telephone which resulted in this rumor. Who knows really? You have to remember that these sites will throw out any rumor no matter the confidence level because people pay for it. And so you get the bad with the good. You're just the messenger and you have no need to apologize.

There is one important tidbit out of all of this. Redszone doesn't allow premium baseball content to be republished on this site for legal reasons. I'd have to think that that rule extends to non-baseball premium info as well. Of course, the Shanahan rumor was posted on every non-premium UC board out there, so you aren't the only guilty one out there. It's not a big deal, but just be aware of this into the future.

Mike Shanahan however, was the first name I've heard during this whole search that had me instantly excited. All the names on the list carry substantial risk, and that's what scares me about this hire.

BearcatShane
12-15-2009, 01:31 AM
Skip Holtz is 28 games over 500 in his coaching career that started at then 1-aa UConn and now at East Carolina. He has 7 winning seasons in 10. He might not be the best candidate in the world but a lot of UC fans really don't like him and I can't figure out why.

SeeinRed
12-15-2009, 08:56 AM
I wouldn't be so hard on Bearcatlair. I think their information is better than the UC Scout site although I don't subscribe to either. It may have been something as simple as a bad game of telephone which resulted in this rumor. Who knows really? You have to remember that these sites will throw out any rumor no matter the confidence level because people pay for it. And so you get the bad with the good. You're just the messenger and you have no need to apologize.

There is one important tidbit out of all of this. Redszone doesn't allow premium baseball content to be republished on this site for legal reasons. I'd have to think that that rule extends to non-baseball premium info as well. Of course, the Shanahan rumor was posted on every non-premium UC board out there, so you aren't the only guilty one out there. It's not a big deal, but just be aware of this into the future.

Mike Shanahan however, was the first name I've heard during this whole search that had me instantly excited. All the names on the list carry substantial risk, and that's what scares me about this hire.

Looking back, the thing that upsets me is that I was intrigued by those candidates. The thing is that reporter could have used more subtle and less exciting ways to get the job done. IMO the end does not justify the means. I still lost a lot of respect for him because of the ploy. I never post any rumors unless I've heard/seen them from more than one source. He obviously fooled and excited a lot of Bearcat fans and that is a shame IMO.

Reds4Life
12-15-2009, 10:14 AM

Not your fault, nothingn to apologize for. :)

I'm with Paint, of all the candidates mentioned, Shanahan would have been awesome. There is a bit of fracture with UC fanbase, none of the candidates mentioned are really impressive, so everyone is in their own camp with their favorite. Shanahan would have sure brought everyonen together. I think Zimmer would have to.

FWIW, the Zimmer thing wasn't 100% wrong. He was up for the Nebraska job a few years ago, and Dallas gave him a raise to stay. So I DO think he might be interested in it. He likes Cincinnati a lot, and on a more sad note...his wife is buried here, that is one of the reasons he doesn't want to leave.

Caveat Emperor
12-15-2009, 03:24 PM
Seems like all signs pointing to Butch Jones or Skip Holtz.

I guess, of the two, I'd have to throw my support behind Jones. I dislike the idea of bringing a guy in who will completely overhaul a team that, on paper, looks to be a contender for the Big East title next year. Holtz would mean wholesale changes. Not sure I like that.

Reds4Life
12-15-2009, 04:27 PM
Seems like all signs pointing to Butch Jones or Skip Holtz.

I guess, of the two, I'd have to throw my support behind Jones. I dislike the idea of bringing a guy in who will completely overhaul a team that, on paper, looks to be a contender for the Big East title next year. Holtz would mean wholesale changes. Not sure I like that.

Agree, of the two, I'd go with Jones. There would be less of a transition period.

paintmered
12-15-2009, 07:29 PM
And another page of the calendar turns without a coach. One thing's for sure, UC's administration leaks far less info to the press than Notre Dame's did. This has become the least interesting coaching search in the history of coaching searches.

My preferences as of today: Quinn, Jones, Holtz (distant third)

Caveat Emperor
12-15-2009, 08:57 PM
And another page of the calendar turns without a coach. One thing's for sure, UC's administration leaks far less info to the press than Notre Dame's did. This has become the least interesting coaching search in the history of coaching searches.

I'd say that's mostly because nobody outside the 513 area code really cares too much about who UC hires.

After much consideration, I've decided that (of the known names) I'm on Team Quinn. Lots could go wrong with hiring him, but going with the top coordinator seemed to work for Boise & Utah -- while bringing in outside help really torpedoed Louisville.

Caveat Emperor
12-15-2009, 09:45 PM
By way of update:

http://twitter.com/TomDienhart

I'm hearing that Butch Jones may be the guy at Cincinnati. Stay tuned. 24 minutes ago from web

GIDP
12-15-2009, 09:50 PM
Ouch twice in 3 or so years. I feel sorry for CMU guys.

Caveat Emperor
12-15-2009, 09:53 PM
Ouch twice in 3 or so years. I feel sorry for CMU guys.

Yeah, I think we need to schedule some home-and-homes or something. A fruit basket at the very least.

Joseph
12-15-2009, 10:49 PM
Let me ask UC fans a question.

Now that you are a top 5 ranked football team, do you feel a bit underwhelmed going to 1-AA or small schools for a coach instead of trying to get a 'name' coach?

I ask this with all sincerity, no malice intended. As a UK basketball fan I know I'd have been agitated had our AD gone after say Murray States coach instead of Calipari.

I understand quite clearly the huge gap in history the two schools have in each program, but personally as a casual observer I feel insulted on behalf of you guys that the AD isn't reportedly targeting 'name' coaches.

dougdirt
12-15-2009, 10:55 PM

Now that you are a top 5 ranked football team, do you feel a bit underwhelmed going to 1-AA or small schools for a coach instead of trying to get a 'name' coach?

I ask this with all sincerity, no malice intended. As a UK basketball fan I know I'd have been agitated had our AD gone after say Murray States coach instead of Calipari.

I understand quite clearly the huge gap in history the two schools have in each program, but personally as a casual observer I feel insulted on behalf of you guys that the AD isn't reportedly targeting 'name' coaches.

When the schools football ranks 60th among money generating schools and only ahead of Mississippi State among BCS schools, its tough to go after 'name' coaches. But yeah, it does seem a bit lackluster at this point.

GIDP
12-15-2009, 10:56 PM

top 5 ranked and top teir isnt the same thing. We are a few years from having the pull of the top guys. I think its unreasonable to expect us to go and pull a coach from the same level we are on.

Caveat Emperor
12-15-2009, 11:08 PM

There's a gap between the TEAM level now (#3) and the PROGRAM level (probably somewhere in the mid-30s / mid-40s). Regardless of how you rank it, this is a much better team than it is a program. Since the program hires coaches, as opposed to the team, I really can't fault where the AD is looking right now. Hopefully, in a few years, the program will be at a point where, should the coach choose to leave, there will be lots of options available.

Having said that, meet your new coach of the UC Bearcats:
http://img36.imageshack.us/img36/1930/whoisbutchjones.jpg

paintmered
12-15-2009, 11:36 PM
I'm not overwhelmed with the hire but I wasn't with Kelly either FWIW. Overall, I think Butch Jones is a solid choice and has the capability to build the program to match the success on the field.

One thing is for certain, Jones is the most important coach in UC football history. Even moreso than Kelly. The time is now to make the jump as a program and Jones will have to be the one who has to lead them there. And oh yeah, at least challenge for the Big East championship every year now that there are expectations. Good luck. ;)

paintmered
12-16-2009, 12:36 AM
This was over at Bearcat Banter and I can't stop laughing.

http://img686.imageshack.us/img686/1663/cincymu.jpg

:laugh::laugh:

GIDP
12-16-2009, 12:39 AM
He's pretty Butchin

BearcatShane
12-16-2009, 12:56 AM
He was the logical choice in my opinion if Thomas didn't think Quinn was good enough.

top6
12-16-2009, 01:13 AM

As an Ohio State fan, I was fine with it, and am fine with it.

I cannot figure out the obsession with going after name coaches at big schools. I always feel like I'm taking crazy pills around this time of year: why don't big schools follow that model and look for solid, 1-AA coaches? Or small Division 1/non-BCS schools (which is sort of what Notre Dame did this time, or probably thought it was doing)?

GIDP
12-16-2009, 01:14 AM
I wouldnt be surprised if they didnt want Quinn because of Kelly.

OnBaseMachine
12-16-2009, 01:22 AM
Good hire for Cincy, IMO.

Caveat Emperor
12-16-2009, 01:29 AM
This was over at Bearcat Banter and I can't stop laughing.

:laugh::laugh:

Guilty as charged (I'm #41 over there, in case you didn't know). ;)

I rediscovered the joy of GIMP tonight.

Cyclone792
12-16-2009, 07:31 AM
Nice hire, IMO. When I saw the initial realistic lists people were throwing out, Butch Jones was one of the top two guys that I liked.

Jones sure has weapons to start working with too; he'll love the WR core we've got, Pead at RB and his ability to choose between Kay and Collaros at QB. I certainly won't expect him to win 12 games next season, but with the four Big East home games on the slate and his returning core, I think he's got a great shot to win a minimum of nine games (@ WVU and @ UConn will be tough).

Additionally, I hope a good chunk of our assistants stay on, especially the guys with local recruiting ties (Hinton, Coombs). The direct pipeline from Cincy HS to UC opened up a bit the past few years with Kelly, and I'd like to see that pipeline remain open, and better yet, expand even further.

Chip R
12-16-2009, 12:20 PM
As an Ohio State fan, I was fine with it, and am fine with it.

I cannot figure out the obsession with going after name coaches at big schools. I always feel like I'm taking crazy pills around this time of year: why don't big schools follow that model and look for solid, 1-AA coaches? Or small Division 1/non-BCS schools (which is sort of what Notre Dame did this time, or probably thought it was doing)?

There have been very few FCS (1-AA) coaches who have successfully made the transition from head coach in FCS to head coach in FBS. Terry Allen had a great deal of success at Northern Iowa in the late 80s-and the 90s. Kurt Warner didn't even start there until he was a senior. Kansas hired him and it didn't work out well for him. After a stopover at Iowa St. he's at Missouri St. where he has not enjoyed the success he had at Northern Iowa.

I know most of you West Virginians know the success Jim Donnen had at Marshall when they were in 1-AA. He was hired by Georgia and that didn't work out well.

John L. Smith was another 1-AA coach when Idaho was in 1-AA who went to the big time and had better success than Allen or Donnen but not exactly a coaching giant.

Tressel's been the notable exception. Virginia's hired Richmond's coach so we'll see how that works out. If others had more success I would think that schools would take more chances on 1-AA guys.

Redlegs23
12-16-2009, 01:42 PM
From Tom Dienhart on twitter...

TomDienhart

Expect OC Jeff Quinn, DC Bobby Diaco, ST coach Mike Elston and QB coach Greg Forest to join Brian Kelly at Notre Dame.

Just posted a few minutes ago.

TomDienhart

And it looks like DB coach Kerry Coombs; TE coach Lorenzo Guess and RB coach Tim Hinton won't come along to Notre Dame with Brian Kelly. 5 minutes ago from web

GIDP
12-16-2009, 01:45 PM
I think all that was expected. No real surprises.

Caveat Emperor
12-16-2009, 02:04 PM
Hopefully Kerry Coombs gets retained by Jones. He'd be idiotic to let him go, given the successes Coombs has had in building Cincinnati's recruiting base here locally.

GIDP
12-16-2009, 02:05 PM
Plus hes turning into a local legend.

Reds4Life
12-16-2009, 02:10 PM
Hopefully Kerry Coombs gets retained by Jones. He'd be idiotic to let him go, given the successes Coombs has had in building Cincinnati's recruiting base here locally.

He is staying.

Hopefully they start grooming him for the big job, so if Jones bails they can just hand it off to Kerry and forget about it.

paintmered
12-16-2009, 06:25 PM
I'm watching the Butch Jones press conference now. Jones just announced his first coaching staff hire is Kerry Coombs. :thumbup:

Edit: Coombs will remain the DB coach.

Caveat Emperor
12-16-2009, 06:37 PM
I'm watching the Butch Jones press conference now. Jones just announced his first coaching staff hire is Kerry Coombs. :thumbup:

I left my college football coach drinking game guide at the office -- is it 1 drink or 2 when a coach who just bolted another program talks about "loyalty" in his new press conference? ;)

I like Jones -- I think he and Quinn were the two best choices the University had, and I can't fault them for going with the guy who had head coaching experience. I think Butch Jones is going to be a very good hire. Hopefully he's as good at the off-the-field stuff as Kelly was -- the program needs coach, but the program needs a champion as well.

The next 5 years could make or break UC Football. Do things right, and the program could be set up for a long-term run of success. Do things wrong, and it'll be back to the land of mid-tier BCS-level AQ squads.

Chip R
12-16-2009, 06:48 PM
I left my college football coach drinking game guide at the office -- is it 1 drink or 2 when a coach who just bolted another program talks about "loyalty" in his new press conference? ;)

I think it's one or else you'd get drunk too quickly. ;)

SunDeck
12-16-2009, 07:15 PM

Edit: Coombs will remain the DB coach.

I hope that's one step towards keeping Kelly from getting any kids from Cincinnati.

Caveat Emperor
12-17-2009, 01:35 AM
From Bearcat Banter -- video of Butch Jones getting his team fired up before the MAC Title game.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zRpoTgAbvpo&feature=player_embedded

Three years ago, UC was struggling to keep attendance at games north of 20,000. This year, they've sold roughly 20,000 tickets to a game 11 hours away.

Just think where UC might find itself in three more years.

Chip R
12-18-2009, 05:56 PM
Looks like the Sugar Bowl isn't good enough for Gator Fans. UC fans may actually outnumber them.

http://www.wlwt.com/sports/22008112/detail.html

paintmered
12-18-2009, 07:06 PM
My Sugar Bowl tickets arrived today. 14th row!

Revering4Blue
12-20-2009, 05:50 PM
For Buffalo, Quinn is in
Posted by John Taylor on December 20, 2009 4:43 PM ET
As far as an offensive coordinator goes, it turns out, Brian Kelly won't have an old buddy to lean on as he embarks on resurrecting the echoes at Notre Dame.

According to a press release issued by the University of Buffalo, Cincinnati interim head coach Jeff Quinn will be named as the Bulls' new head coach on Tuesday. The long-time Kelly confidante will be officially introduced at a 2 p.m. ET press conference on Dec. 22.

Quinn will replace Turner Gill, who left the Bulls earlier this month for Kansas.

Quinn, who is expected to lead the Bearcats as they prepare to take on Florida in the Sugar Bowl, was widely rumored to be headed to South Bend to rejoin Kelly if he did not land his own head-coaching job.

The offensive coordinator was also in the running to replace Butch Jones at Central Michigan.

Jones was officially hired as the Bearcats' new head coach this past week.

http://collegefootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2009/12/20/for-buffalo-quinn-is-in/

kaldaniels
01-01-2010, 11:28 PM
Can I throw a question up here for people to answer honestly.

If UC was in the Big 12 what would their record be?

And even If UC was in the SEC what would their record be?

I know they are not in those conferences, but in this crazy system we have sometimes you have to think outside the box to rank teams.

Absolutely they have done every thing they could this year and I tip my hat to them...but if they were facing Texas (who like UC did everything they could this year) and I had to bet my house on it, well, lets just say I'd bet on the Horns. Not looking for a fight cause thats pointless, but I just want to know how you guys think UC would do in a "higher tier" conference.

I tip my hat to UC for their regular season performance. They did all that was asked of them. But I was accused of devaluing UC's season for asking the above. The reason why I asked the above questions a few weeks back was due to my suspicions....the Big East is a weak conference. About that, there can be no debate.

redsfandan
01-02-2010, 12:01 AM
I hate to say it but I'm starting to wonder if OSU might take back the "best team in Ohio" tag when the final rankings come out.

dabvu2498
01-02-2010, 12:49 AM
I hate to say it but I'm starting to wonder if OSU might take back the "best team in Ohio" tag when the final rankings come out. Pretty safe bet.

joshnky
02-01-2010, 07:07 AM
This (http://www.courier-journal.com/blogs/demling/blog.html) has to hurt UC:

But the good news for the U of L program comes out of Cincinnati.

Bucknuts.com, a website devoted to covering Ohio State sports, is reporting that Cincinnati Winton Woods quarterback/athlete Dominique Brown (photo) has picked the Cardinals over Ohio State and Cincinnati after a weekend visit to Louisville.

The 6-foot-2, 210-pound Brown is ranked as the No. 20 athlete in the nation and No. 10 prospect in the state of Ohio by Rivals.com. He's considered a four-star prospect.

After rushing for more than 2,600 yards and passing for over 900 yards during his sophomore and junior seasons combined, Brown had a sensational senior season in helping Winton Woods claim the schools first state title.

Brown was named Ohio Division II Co-Offensive Player of the Year after running for 1,998 yards and 32 TDs. He scored 16 TDs in five postseason games, including 11 in the final two games. For his career, Brown had 4,685 rushing yards, 64 rushing TDs, 1,691 yards passing and 15 TDs.

A commitment from Brown - who has not confirmed with any news source so far - could put Louisville in solid position for Cincinnati Northwest three-star linebacker Preston Brown.
Brown told me recently the two are good friends. They were both committed to Cincinnati before Brian Kelly left for Notre Dame and Brown said he would "like to go where he goes," talking about Dominique Brown. Preston Brown also has an offer from Louisville.

redsmetz
02-03-2010, 10:20 AM
There are reports on Twitter that New Orleans prep QB Munchie Legaux will sign NLI with UC. What's the report on the guy. Seems like he was highly recruited.

SeeinRed
02-03-2010, 11:53 AM
There are reports on Twitter that New Orleans prep QB Munchie Legaux will sign NLI with UC. What's the report on the guy. Seems like he was highly recruited.

This is from a small blurb on Channel 5 (http://www.wlwt.com/sports/22420244/detail.html):

CINCINNATI -- A high school quarterback considered by some to be a top dual-threat quarterback has committed to play for the University of Cincinnati.

Benton "Munchie" Legaux had verbally committed to go to Colorado before instead signing a letter of intent with the Bearcats on Wednesday.

Legaux passed for more than 1,800 yards and 30 TDs his junior year.

Rivals.com ranked him as high as No. 12 in its list of running-throwing quarterbacks.

A New Orleans paper said last fall (http://www.nola.com/sports/index.ssf/2009/08/karrs_munchie_legaux_has_nearl.html) that Legaux had nearly 20 scholarship offers by August 2009.

Sounds like a good fit for the spread offense. Pretty solid recruiting season all things considered. Black decommitting is a little dissapointing, but all things considered with the coaching change it has been a good effort.