PDA

View Full Version : Larkin's 1st ballot for the Hall: Let it be his last...

Kingspoint
11-30-2009, 05:41 AM
I'll start.

There are some things you just can't measure with stats. Barry Larkin had all the tools. He always did everything the way it was supposed to be done, and that usually cost him stats that would have given him the comparable Hall-of-Fame numbers other Shortstops of his era piled up. Larkin never used steroids (hello Arod!). Compare his numbers to other shorstops form decades before him and he has the numbers. He has an MVP. He played the hardest position on the team. He captained a World Series Champion. He was many years the best defensive player in baseball, even when politics didn't give him the Gold Glove. He's the best #2 hitter I've ever seen next to Joe Morgan. Another great #2 hitter, Roberto Alomar, is also on the ballot for the first time. Barry Larking was better than Alomar....and he didn't spit in the face of an umpire. Larkin is someone you would want to be your child's mentor.

The only other situational hitter I've seen that was his equal over the last 40 years was Paul Molitor.

Vottomatic
11-30-2009, 09:46 AM
I don't think he'll get in. Just my opinion. Not so sure that Reds fans don't overvalue his accomplishments more than the rest of the country.

DTCromer
11-30-2009, 11:02 AM
I don't think he'll get in. Just my opinion. Not so sure that Reds fans don't overvalue his accomplishments more than the rest of the country.

1st ballot HOFers are reserved for shoe ins and Larkin is FAR from a shoe in. And yes, Reds fans do overvalue Barry. I think he's a very, very, very, very, very good SS, but I don't consider him HOF worthy.

Redsfan320
11-30-2009, 03:09 PM
I don't consider him HOF worthy.

I do. .295 BA, .371 OBP, .975 FP. :party: And besides he's Barry Larkin.

From sunny Florida,

Lockdwn11
11-30-2009, 07:22 PM

If that is the case and Reds fans overvalue his accomplishments then the rest of the country overvalues the accomplishments of a First ballot HOFer Ozzie Smith. Barry played just as good at SS as Ozzie did and was much better at the plate.

Barry had more RBIs a higher OBP, Avg. , slug. and scored more runs. Barry also hit 198 HRs to 28 for Ozzie. Barry was and is the better Baseball player. If Ozzie Smith is a HOFer so is Barry Larkin.

texasdave
11-30-2009, 07:23 PM
I would think 12 AS games, several GG, 1 NL MVP, a lifetime +116 OPS among other things should get Barry in. Not on the first ballot, but eventually.

GIDP
11-30-2009, 07:28 PM
Barry Larkin was Arod before there was Arod. Barry Larkin remade the short stop position.

Vottomatic
11-30-2009, 07:58 PM
Barry Larkin was Arod before there was Arod. Barry Larkin remade the short stop position.

Then Davey Concepcion should be in the HOF too. He remade the position for Ozzie, Larkin, and ARoid.

Concepcion was one of the best defensive SS's I ever seen. (Large Marge)

mroby85
12-01-2009, 04:42 PM
I'm only 22, so Larkin is the best Red I've ever seen. I hope he gets in, but I doubt that he will. I would actually argue however, that Larkin was underappreciated by Reds fans. He's one of the most solid players i've ever seen. He's basically Derek Jeter without the Yankees. He wasn't one dimensional, and was just a good baseball player that could do everything you asked of him, and do it all above average.

FlyerFanatic
12-01-2009, 06:25 PM
if ozzie wouldnt have been around, larkin would have raked in tons of GG's i dont know if hes a 1st ballot hall of famer, but he should be in imo

redsfanmia
12-01-2009, 09:32 PM
if ozzie wouldnt have been around, larkin would have raked in tons of GG's i dont know if hes a 1st ballot hall of famer, but he should be in imo

Ozzie Smith won his last 4 or 5 GG's on reputation alone, Larkin was better at the time.

BigPoppa
12-04-2009, 02:03 PM
Watching Larkin on the MLB network, he looks like he could suit up next Spring and take the field, and still outplay half the youngsters around the NL.

I don't think he'll get in on the first ballot, but he'll get in.

Kingspoint
12-06-2009, 06:29 AM
Ozzie Smith won his last 4 or 5 GG's on reputation alone, Larkin was better at the time.

Yep.