PDA

View Full Version : Reds interested in Noah Lowry

aubashbrother
12-02-2009, 02:51 PM
http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/

Alpha Zero
12-02-2009, 03:18 PM
Lowry wouldn't be a terrible pick up. It's not like the Reds have too many better options for the fifth spot in the rotation while Volquez is out. I see no reason not to give the guy a shot during Spring Training if the price tag is minimal. He would provide depth if nothing else.

GIDP
12-02-2009, 03:26 PM
We have wanted Lowry for a while from what I remember.

One problem is even in his good season his numbers werent all that spectacular. Doesnt K many batters, and walks a few too many for my liking for the shift to GABP. He has always had some big home road splits and that is a bit scary, but in the end hes been around league average and hes still kind of young so I can see him being a decent target.

Ghosts of 1990
12-02-2009, 10:41 PM
For the price he will command, I'd rather give the home grown talent Maloney a chance for this season. And I'm not particularly a Maloney fan/believer. But he isn't a huge dropoff from Lowry IMHO.

I guess I'm middle ground on signing this guy.

Alpha Zero
12-03-2009, 11:06 AM
For the price he will command, I'd rather give the home grown talent Maloney a chance for this season. And I'm not particularly a Maloney fan/believer. But he isn't a huge dropoff from Lowry IMHO.

I guess I'm middle ground on signing this guy.

I agree with your assessment of Lowry's talent level, but do you really think that he's going to command much money at all? He hasn't pitched at all since 2007, and he wasn't great then. He posted a pretty good ERA, but his peripherals have always looked pretty bad and he doesn't have great stuff outside of his changeup. I really don't see him getting more than a million bucks, but I guess someone might overpay for him. I see Lowry getting a Gomes-type deal (~$600k and a chance to re-build his value), and if that's the case, I'd pick him up for some healthy competition and quality depth.

Vottomatic
12-03-2009, 11:06 AM
Arroyo
Harang
Bailey
Cueto
Maloney/Lehr/Wood - one of those 3 will be fine.

Don't spend money on Lowry. If anything, spend money on a SS.

texasdave
12-03-2009, 01:58 PM
Memo to Walt. Just say No(ah). If i was gonna take near-league minimum dollars and try to rebuild my value as a pitcher, GAPB is not the place I would choose to do so. I am thinking he will stay on the West Coast. Preferably a pitcher's park. Oakland?

mattfeet
12-03-2009, 02:06 PM
This Just In!!!!!!!

There's no shortage of interest in Jamey Carroll this year. Ed Price of AOL FanHouse reports that the Red Sox, Angels, Dodgers, A's, Rangers, Pirates, Reds and Indians all have interest in the 35-year-old utility man. We know the Marlins are interested, too.

Carroll hit .276/.355/.340 with the Indians last year, spending most of his time at second and third, and playing some outfield as well. UZR/150 suggests Carroll has been an above-average defender at second base over the course of the last five years.

-MLBTradeRumors.com

-------

Another mediocre player we'll overpay and disregard young (and cheaper) talent for.

-Matt

edit: Why cant I make a new post?

Dracodave
12-03-2009, 05:29 PM
For a back up, we could pick up alot worse than Jamie Carrol. For a pitcher, we could pick up alot better than Lowry, or just stick with Maloney.

mdccclxix
12-03-2009, 06:12 PM
Lowry doesn't miss too many bats but he doesn't appear to give up too many line drives either. I can see if they were going to get rid of Harang...otherwise I'd like to see Maloney get his shot all year like Beslile did in 07.