PDA

View Full Version : BCS Bowl Selection Sunday

KoryMac5
12-06-2009, 12:58 PM
I am preparing for the BCS picks today and am gearing up for pages of debate on what match ups intrigue posters and which ones leave you shaking your head.

Should be a fun bowl season with several teams looking to improve their standings in the final polls.

I would love to see TCU vs. Alabama and the Bearcats vs. Texas unfortunately these match ups won't happen. Florida vs. Boise looks like a good possibility though.

freestyle55
12-06-2009, 02:05 PM
I am preparing for the BCS picks today and am gearing up for pages of debate on what match ups intrigue posters and which ones leave you shaking your head.

Should be a fun bowl season with several teams looking to improve their standings in the final polls.

I would love to see TCU vs. Alabama and the Bearcats vs. Texas unfortunately these match ups won't happen. Florida vs. Boise looks like a good possibility though.

ESPN is projecting UC vs. the Tebows...

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/news/story?page=roadtobcs/0909

Brad Edwards' BCS Bowl Projections

BowlMatchupBCS TitleAlabama versus TexasRose BowlOhio St. versus OregonFiesta BowlTCU versus Boise StateOrange BowlGa. Tech versus IowaSugar BowlFlorida versus Cincinnati

KoryMac5
12-06-2009, 02:09 PM
I am hoping we don't see a TCU vs. Boise match up. I want to see how both teams fare vs. the big college programs not against each other. Fla. vs. UC would be a very cool match up of offense vs. defense.

LoganBuck
12-06-2009, 02:35 PM
Thom Brennamen and Brian Billick will be the announcers of the Sugar Bowl.

They just said so during the Bengals game.

I have mentioned many times before how much I despise the Fox BCS productions.
-One camera focused on one member of each band, one on the coaches wife (if she is hot), one on the family of highest profile player in game. Rotate cameras accordingly. Routinely cut back to on field action late after play has resumed.
-Sell only 8 different commercials for the entire broadcast, start repeating them during the middle of the first quarter.
-Thom must fill space with terrible, speculative, and/or inaccurate anecdotes about each player.

Yuck

joshnky
12-06-2009, 02:35 PM
I am hoping we don't see a TCU vs. Boise match up. I want to see how both teams fare vs. the big college programs not against each other. Fla. vs. UC would be a very cool match up of offense vs. defense.

No one will watch a TCU-Boise matchup. If you haven't followed these teams who do you cheer for? I'd watch both games these teams play in for the underdog factor but I won't care in the least if they're in the same game.

HotCorner
12-06-2009, 03:03 PM
No one will watch a TCU-Boise matchup. If you haven't followed these teams who do you cheer for? I'd watch both games these teams play in for the underdog factor but I won't care in the least if they're in the same game.

I'll watch. Boise's O against TCU's D. It should be a good battle.

DTCromer
12-06-2009, 03:38 PM
As if TCU and Boise weren't screwed enough, they'll pair them up against each other.

trbl

KronoRed
12-06-2009, 04:00 PM
I'd like to see a TCU vs Boise State match up, guarantees one will end up undefeated.

DTCromer
12-06-2009, 04:16 PM
I'd like to see a TCU vs Boise State match up, guarantees one will end up undefeated.

I wouldn't. I'd love to see TCU matchup against one of the BCS conference teams.

MWM
12-06-2009, 04:23 PM
The entire point of allowing those teams play in the BCS is to see how they match up against the top programs. THAT is what people want to see. Then playing against each other is a slap in the face, IMO. It will prove nothing.

macro
12-06-2009, 05:15 PM
I think it would be cool to get to see Kentucky in the Music City Bowl. :sleep:

KoryMac5
12-06-2009, 05:28 PM
Rivals has the following match ups:

Alabama vs. Texas

Cincinnati vs GT

Iowa vs. TCU

Florida vs. Boise St

Ohio State vs. Oregon

I would love Florida vs Boise St

texasdave
12-06-2009, 06:11 PM
I would like to see a UC-TCU matchup if possible. I think it would be cool to beat an unbeaten team.

kaldaniels
12-06-2009, 06:11 PM

Those teams have got to play some of the big boys. I think this matchup would be a joke and would do nothing to promote those schools as being able to match up with BCS teams..."to be the man, you gotta beat the man....whooooooo"

GIDP
12-06-2009, 06:29 PM
If Cincy get stuck with GT that will be a massive slap in the face.

NorrisHopper30
12-06-2009, 06:56 PM
I want to face TCU so we can end their love affair with the media.

MWM
12-06-2009, 07:01 PM
Yeah, that's what people said about Boise State when they played Oklahoma and Utah against Alabama. Fact is, these programs have closed the gap.

My guess is if UC and TCU played in a bowl game, the Vegas line wouldbe very close but it would most likely be in TCU's favor. I wonder how many who are minimizing TCU have actualyl watched them play a full game. They are legit and can play with just about anyone. They play on both sides of the ball.

KronoRed
12-06-2009, 07:14 PM
The entire point of allowing those teams play in the BCS is to see how they match up against the top programs. THAT is what people want to see. Then playing against each other is a slap in the face, IMO. It will prove nothing.

I don't see it as a slap in the face, I guess I don't care if they are from little conferences, I think it would be best if the number 3 and 6 teams played vs 3 vs 7 or 6 vs 10.

But like I said, I don't care if they are from the little conference, they are undefeated, I just don't see what they have to "prove".

KoryMac5
12-06-2009, 07:19 PM
I don't see it as a slap in the face, I guess I don't care if they are from little conferences, I think it would be best if the number 3 and 6 teams played vs 3 vs 7 or 6 vs 10.

But like I said, I don't care if they are from the little conference, they are undefeated, I just don't see what they have to "prove".

I don't think they have anything to prove to us or themselves Krono. It is the talking heads we want to shut up. TCU and Boise beating a big time program would go a long way towards doing that.

KronoRed
12-06-2009, 07:21 PM
I don't think they have anything to prove to us or themselves Krono. It is the talking heads we want to shut up. TCU and Boise beating a big time program would go a long way towards doing that.

Nah, Boise beat Oklahoma and Utah beat Alabama, it will never stop until they are "big" conferences or the few good schools in those conferences join the big ones.

TCU vs Boise would be a good game

KronoRed
12-06-2009, 07:23 PM
On another note, how does a bad 6-6 team get into a new years day bowl over 4 teams from the same conference with better records?

What a joke.

MWM
12-06-2009, 07:26 PM

But even those rankings are based on brand name and the conferences they play in.

paintmered
12-06-2009, 07:42 PM
On another note, how does a bad 6-6 team get into a new years day bowl over 4 teams from the same conference with better records?

What a joke.

The rest of the ACC teams agreed to it as a farewell gift to Bobby Bowden.

dougdirt
12-06-2009, 07:48 PM

Plus it would just be the same bowl game for those kids. TCU beat Boise St last season in the Poinsettia Bowl 17-16 (http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/recap?gameId=283582628).

Not only do you screw the kids in that one, but also the fans.

OnBaseMachine
12-06-2009, 08:07 PM
The BcS sucks. That's all I have to say.

paintmered
12-06-2009, 08:09 PM
Did I see that right? TCU ranked #4th? I guess that answers the question if UC would leapfrog them.

Damn. 1 second away. *sigh*

And Boise State v. TCU is an awful matchup. Neither of schools gain anything from that matchup.

paintmered
12-06-2009, 08:14 PM
#3 UC and #5 Florida at the Sugar Bowl as Fox talks like it's a foregone conclusion that Kelly is headed to Notre Dame. :rolleyes:

MWM
12-06-2009, 08:17 PM
And Boise State v. TCU is an awful matchup. Neither of schools gain anything from that matchup.

Exactly. The reason these teams want to play the big boys is that is helps their arguments in the future when they go undefeated. The more often a Utah beats an Alabama, the more likely it will be for the voters to finally give one of these teams a chance to play for the title.

kaldaniels
12-06-2009, 08:28 PM
Should TCU be the team getting so much hype and respect in the rankings compared to Boise this year...Boise St. beat Oregon for crying out loud. Boise has hardly gotten a mention it seems from the talking heads this year.

dougdirt
12-06-2009, 08:35 PM
Should TCU be the team getting so much hype and respect in the rankings compared to Boise this year...Boise St. beat Oregon for crying out loud. Boise has hardly gotten a mention it seems from the talking heads this year.

Oregon is the only team that Boise beat who would even go .500 against the schedules of Texas, Cincinnati or TCU. They just don't have the schedule that really gets them in the conversation. Not that its entirely their fault, the league really let them down this year.

WMR
12-06-2009, 08:37 PM
UC is gonna get Tebowed.

jimbo
12-06-2009, 08:39 PM

Outside of the championship game, what does any team really gain from their bowl game?

paintmered
12-06-2009, 08:40 PM
UC is gonna get Tebowed.

So they're going to see more tears after the game when UC beats Florida?

WMR
12-06-2009, 08:41 PM
So they're going to see more tears after the game when UC beats Florida?

:laugh: We shall see. I'm very excited to see this vaunted UC offense face a legit SEC defense.

paintmered
12-06-2009, 08:42 PM
:laugh: We shall see. I'm very excited to see this vaunted UC offense face a legit SEC defense.

I think it's a very intriguing matchup. Urban and his alma mater. Win or lose, I can't wait to get to New Orleans!

WMR
12-06-2009, 08:43 PM
Outside of the championship game, what does any team really gain from their bowl game?

$$$, the extra practices, and recruiting exposure.

WMR
12-06-2009, 08:45 PM
I really hate seeing TCU paired up with Boise State. I want to see those teams face 'big boy' schools, not paired against each other.

paintmered
12-06-2009, 08:48 PM
It turns out Kelly voted UC #1 in the USA Today poll. :laugh:

dabvu2498
12-06-2009, 09:07 PM
It turns out Kelly voted UC #1 in the USA Today poll. :laugh:

He is nothing if not arrogant.

dougdirt
12-06-2009, 09:11 PM
He is nothing if not arrogant.

I would buy that if he didn't go out and say the BCS got it right on ESPN 10 minutes ago.

Reds4Life
12-06-2009, 09:14 PM
UC is gonna get Tebowed.

Bet they fair a lot better against Florida than UK did. Wasn't the score of that game 41-7?

dabvu2498
12-06-2009, 09:14 PM
I would buy that if he didn't go out and say the BCS got it right on ESPN 10 minutes ago.

Actions speak louder than words.

WMR
12-06-2009, 09:33 PM
Bet they fair a lot better against Florida than UK did. Wasn't the score of that game 41-7?

:lol: Were we discussing Kentucky football?

Just expressing my opinion concerning the BCS matchups. Hope you're mature enough to understand and handle that.

Spring~Fields
12-06-2009, 09:34 PM
I would love to see UC beat Florida. That would be a great present moment, during the game and a great memory for years to come. Yeah, feels good just imagining it right now.

Reds4Life
12-06-2009, 09:39 PM
:lol: Were we discussing Kentucky football?

Just expressing my opinion concerning the BCS matchups. Hope you're mature enough to understand and handle that.

Uh huh. You discussing maturity with anyone is laughable.

You can go back to trolling now.

WMR
12-06-2009, 09:46 PM
Uh huh. You discussing maturity with anyone is laughable.

You can go back to trolling now.

Sorry not everyone on this board is a UC/Big East cheerleader.

Paint and I had a nice little discussion. Sorry you're not capable of that.

I think Florida is 2 touchdowns better than UC.

DTCromer
12-06-2009, 09:48 PM

lulz. . . except Miami.

Also, Boise/TCU is a good matchup. What would be better? Boise or TCU vs GT or Iowa? I think both teams are better than the Orange Bowl matchup.

paintmered
12-06-2009, 09:51 PM
lulz. . . except Miami.

Also, Boise/TCU is a good matchup. What would be better? Boise or TCU vs GT or Iowa? I think both teams are better than the Orange Bowl matchup.

TCU/Boise is a good matchup, but they played last year in the Holiday Bowl. I'm not going to go out of my way to watch that one or the Orange Bowl. Iowa is the weakest of all the BCS teams and they get the winner of the ACC Wheel of Destiny that lost to Georgia.

They'll be good football games, but they'll get lost amongst the other BCS matchups.

Plus Plus
12-06-2009, 09:57 PM

The matchup between the two teams in a vacuum isn't the issue. The fact of the matter is that winning that game is about akin to winning the NIT. It will only settle one debate in the minds of the "talking heads": who the best team in the non-bcs conferences is. Neither of these teams gain anything from this game at all, aside from the increase in money and potential increase in exposure. Until these teams are given a "real chance" there will never be an opportunity to see a TCU or Boise St. in the national championship, regardless of who is on their team. They could have 22 Tim Tebows and would still finish 6th or 4th and not make the national championship.

And, let's not forget that the BCS will gladly pimp this matchup as a "battle of the unbeatens" and so on, regardless of how poorly thought out the bowl selections were this year. Simply switching Florida and Boise would have fixed this in a heartbeat.

GIDP
12-06-2009, 09:57 PM
Florida and UC should be a fun game. I hope UC wins so it will shut up SEC fans a little.

paintmered
12-06-2009, 10:06 PM
Florida and UC should be a fun game. I hope UC wins so it will shut up SEC fans a little.

If Florida wins, it's because UC sucked all along. If UC wins, it's because Florida didn't play well and was distracted, or something.

The media will spin this in such a way that UC has no way of winning the perception battle no matter the outcome on the field. And of course, all non-Florida SEC fans will take credit as if they accomplished it themselves. I never understood that attitude.

WMR
12-06-2009, 10:11 PM
If Florida wins, it's because UC sucked all along. If UC wins, it's because Florida didn't play well and was distracted, or something.

The media will spin this in such a way that UC has no way of winning the perception battle no matter the outcome on the field. And of course, all non-Florida SEC fans will take credit as if they accomplished it themselves. I never understood that attitude.

I can explain why I feel conference pride... when you play in the grinder that is the SEC East, season after season, it's hard NOT to begin to develop those feelings. That's just me, speaking for myself. I certainly won't feel anywhere near the elation that I would experience were it MY team winning the game, however.

KronoRed
12-06-2009, 10:11 PM

That's ridiculous, I wonder how much it was the ACC giving the finger to the Gator bowl since they have decided to ditch the ACC for their next bowl tie in.

dabvu2498
12-06-2009, 10:35 PM
I can explain why I feel conference pride... when you play in the grinder that is the SEC East, season after season, it's hard NOT to begin to develop those feelings. That's just me, speaking for myself. I certainly won't feel anywhere near the elation that I would experience were it MY team winning the game, however.Yup. I spend 8 weeks a year watching the SEC kick my favorite team's butt. So it gives me a bit of pleasure when the SEC breaks it off in an out of conference game against a "good" team.

WMR
12-06-2009, 10:39 PM
Yup. I spend 8 weeks a year watching the SEC kick my favorite team's butt. So it gives me a bit of pleasure when the SEC breaks it off in an out of conference game against a "good" team.

Perfectly stated. It's nothing malicious, so don't take it personal, UC fans or whomever else. I enjoy rooting for my conference.

MWM
12-06-2009, 11:00 PM
Only, it's not the SEC. It's Florida and Alabama; or before Nick Saban, Florida and LSU. I've also never understood how people get some kind of fulfillment from the this. The reason UK and Vandy get kicked around week in and week out is because they're just not very good football programs. UK would get kicked around in most major conferences out there with the ocassional season where they win some games (like they did in the SEC a few years ago). Of course, I'm sure their fans believe it's only because the SEC is so tough, but it would be the same in the Pac-10, Big-10, Big-12, and maybe even the Big East. Heck, they'd be lucky to be 5th best in the Mountain West. Every conference has the teams they beat up on.

macro
12-06-2009, 11:01 PM
I'm a UK fan and an SEC fan of sorts, but I would never root for Florida, Georgia, or any Steve Spurrier coached team under any circumstances.

dabvu2498
12-06-2009, 11:14 PM
Only, it's not the SEC. It's Florida and Alabama; or before Nick Saban, Florida and LSU. Really? Really? You better check the SEC's out of conference and bowl record the last few years. Heck, even doormat Vandy got a bowl win last year over the ACC runner up last year. And doormat Kentucky is working on a 3 season bowl winning streak.

dabvu2498
12-06-2009, 11:19 PM
I'm a UK fan and an SEC fan of sorts, but I would never root for Florida, Georgia, or any Steve Spurrier coached team under any circumstances. Tennessee is my bugaboo. Spurrier and Petrino are close. I respect Richt a lot, as a man, so it is hard for me to root against them.

GAC
12-07-2009, 05:29 AM

Exactly Mike.

So what do they do? Pair these two teams up against each other. Didn't they play each other in a bowl game last year?

Will it be a good game? Sure. But it's still a smack in the face to these smaller schools IMO.

Cincy gets that opportunity by being paired up with Florida. And while I'll be rootin for, and hoping, the Bearctas beat them, I just don't see it happening. But.....

GO BEARCATS!!!

Redsfan320
12-07-2009, 08:07 AM
As a UC fan, I am terrified. I've seen what Florida can do, and I'm a huge Tebow fan,and I truly fear for Cincy. BTW, I'll be rooting for UC of course

From sunny Florida :cool:,

DTCromer
12-07-2009, 08:08 AM
Conference pride is for the weak-minded. SEC fans started it and Big 10 fans are starting to get just as bad. Can any of you Bengals fans ever root for the Steelers or Ravens to win? If you ever root for your most hated rival just because they were in your conference, then you don't really have a rival.

paintmered
12-07-2009, 08:19 AM
I understand rooting for other teams in the conference to do well because that improves the image of your own team. Every fanbase does that. What I don't understand is the adopted ownership of every team in the conference.

If you're a Georgia fan and Florida beats Ohio State, it wasn't your team that beat Ohio State so stop claiming victory like it was. That's what I don't get.

*steps off soapbox*

DTCromer
12-07-2009, 08:32 AM
I understand rooting for other teams in the conference to do well because that improves the image of your own team. Every fanbase does that. What I don't understand is the adopted ownership of every team in the conference.

If you're a Georgia fan and Florida beats Ohio State, it wasn't your team that beat Ohio State so stop claiming victory like it was. That's what I don't get.

*steps off soapbox*

I still think the SEC still has that "southern pride" thing going on dating back to the Civil War. And yes, I'm serious. There's more unity for the schools down south. Alabama and Tennessee hate each other, but they'll be rooting for each other during bowl season. I don't get it.

That would be like me rooting for the Cubs to win the world series. I'd light myself on fire than root for the Cubs even against the yankees or Red Sox. 29 World Series titles for the yankees couldn't undo the pain and agony of seeing the Cubs win #2.

Roy Tucker
12-07-2009, 08:38 AM
I have very mixed emotions when rooting for other Big 10 teams in bowl games.

Eventually I do, but its with clenched fist and skunk eye. And if they lose, I think "well, they stink anyhow". If they win, I think "well, I guess that's OK, but they still stink".

I feel a little bad for TCU and Boise St., but I don't know how else it should have played out. Alabama definitely deserved to be in the NC game, but after that, it's a crap shoot between Texas, UC, and TCU. All have very legit claims. Boise St. not as much.

BCS sucks.

bucksfan2
12-07-2009, 08:48 AM
FWIW if there was no BCS then Texas is playing in the Fiesta Bowl and Alabama is playing in the Sugar Bowl. The BCS is in place to get the #1 and #2 ranked teams to play each other nothing else. Im not defending the system, but it does do its job. Unless there is a playoff there will continue to be complaining about matchups like TCS and BSU.

15fan
12-07-2009, 09:00 AM
If Cincy get stuck with GT that will be a massive slap in the face.

GT is a pretty good football team.

That's ridiculous, I wonder how much it was the ACC giving the finger to the Gator bowl since they have decided to ditch the ACC for their next bowl tie in.

There isn't going to be much love lost on either side of the Jacksonville-ACC relationship when the ways are parted.

DTCromer
12-07-2009, 09:06 AM

There isn't going to be much love lost on either side of the Jacksonville-ACC relationship when the ways are parted.

What's really hurting the ACC is FSU and Miami being down. Miami' starting to revive itself and FSU will continue to be average or 8-4 under Jimbo. He's not the answer there. If both programs were still as good as they thought when Miami entered the conference, Jacksonville wouldn't be giving up on the ACC. Clemson has a pretty good program. Virginia Tech will ALWAYS be a good program under Beamer. North Carolina has revived itself under Butch Davis. Georgia Tech is VERY good under Paul Johnson. There's a lot of potential in the ACC. They're closer to being one of the Top 2 conferences behind the SEC than one would think. They're still a few years from that, but it's possible.

As for GT, if they weren't playing their 3rd game in like 11 days vs Miami, they could possibly be undefeated with a different mindset going into the UGA game. GT really is underrated even being 11-2. I'd rather UC face Florida than GT. If UC beats Florida, they'll have an even bigger stake or claim to the NC than Boise or TCU.

Roy Tucker
12-07-2009, 09:23 AM
FWIW if there was no BCS then Texas is playing in the Fiesta Bowl and Alabama is playing in the Sugar Bowl. The BCS is in place to get the #1 and #2 ranked teams to play each other nothing else. Im not defending the system, but it does do its job. Unless there is a playoff there will continue to be complaining about matchups like TCS and BSU.

I beg to differ. Alabama is #1, but who is #2 is very much up in the air.

dabvu2498
12-07-2009, 09:44 AM
FWIW if there was no BCS then Texas is playing in the Fiesta Bowl and Alabama is playing in the Sugar Bowl. The BCS is in place to get the #1 and #2 ranked teams to play each other nothing else. Im not defending the system, but it does do its job. Unless there is a playoff there will continue to be complaining about matchups like TCS and BSU. Texas would've been in the Cotton Bowl under the old system.

macro
12-07-2009, 09:46 AM
As a UC fan, I am terrified. I've seen what Florida can do, and I'm a huge Tebow fan,and I truly fear for Cincy. BTW, I'll be rooting for UC of course

From sunny Florida :cool:,

I think there's a good chance that Florida has a hard time getting up for the game, based on their disappointment over not playing for the title.

macro
12-07-2009, 09:56 AM
Tennessee is my bugaboo. Spurrier and Petrino are close. I respect Richt a lot, as a man, so it is hard for me to root against them.

Yep, I forgot about Petrino over at Arkansas. I have nothing against South Carolina or Arkansas as programs, but will be against them until they change coaches.

My problem with Georgia is a silly one, based on some obnoxious Georgia fans I encountered at Commonwealth Stadium a few years ago. Withough realizing what we were doing, we bought scalper tickets right in the middle of the Georgia section, and even though we didn't even give any hint that we were even UK fans (no cheering, no UK stuff on, just observing the game), we were given quite a hard time by some of their fans.

I realize that they in no way represented the entire fan base, but every time I see Georgia football, I remember those people and hope their team loses and they're somewhere weeping over it. :laugh:

GIDP
12-07-2009, 10:25 AM

Cincy deserved to be playing against a better team than GT. GT might be good but Cincy is a top 3 team and how many top 3 have ended up playing the worst of all BCS bowl teams? College football deserves Florida v. UC. Im happy with it.

Mario-Rijo
12-07-2009, 10:36 AM

I see where you are coming from on this, it's kind of hard not too see it that way unless you're a UC/Big East/non traditional powerhouse school Fan. I do believe it applies at times, probably most often. However I really believe that it's worse for the big school in that there really is nothing to win but being able to say you held serve. Florida probably should beat UC no matter what in most peoples mind. So if UC wins people will spin it, but it matters not it just means UC was better than people gave them credit for being and should win some favorable perception points as a result outside their own fan base. At least that is the way I feel, I can't imagine I'm alone in my thinking. I truly expect the Gators to win and convincingly (10-24 pts), if they play their worst I still expect them to edge UC (between 3-10 pts), if they play their best and UC doesn't well it could get downright ugly (better than 24 pts). So if UC wins they are better than I thought they were, that's gotta be good for something.

15fan
12-07-2009, 10:57 AM
Cincy deserved to be playing against a better team than GT. GT might be good but Cincy is a top 3 team and how many top 3 have ended up playing the worst of all BCS bowl teams? College football deserves Florida v. UC. Im happy with it.

You could also argue that Cincy is as low as the 6th best team, behind not only Alabama & Texas, but also 1 loss Florida and the Boise/TCU undefeateds.

Regardless, I think Cincinnati-Florida is the most likely BCS game to be a one-sided affair.

Roy Tucker
12-07-2009, 11:21 AM
Interesting.

http://www.usatoday.com/sports/college/football/2009-final-coaches-ballots.htm?loc=interstitialskip

dabvu2498
12-07-2009, 11:22 AM
Cincy deserved to be playing against a better team than GT. GT might be good but Cincy is a top 3 team and how many top 3 have ended up playing the worst of all BCS bowl teams? College football deserves Florida v. UC. Im happy with it. Iowa is the worst BCS team this year. And maybe the worst at large BCS team ever.

MWM
12-07-2009, 11:24 AM
Yep, Iowa has no business in the BCS.

This might be the first time EVER dabvu and I agreed on something. :evil:

kaldaniels
12-07-2009, 11:31 AM
Interesting.

http://www.usatoday.com/sports/college/football/2009-final-coaches-ballots.htm?loc=interstitialskip

Tressel voted Florida #3 and Cincy #5. :eek:

BuckeyeRed27
12-07-2009, 11:32 AM
Iowa is the worst BCS team this year. And maybe the worst at large BCS team ever.

So who deserved it more?

Pitt? Nebraska? Arizona? Clemson? Okie St?

Iowa isn't a great team this year, but they are the most deserving at large team after TCU and Boise.

Roy Tucker
12-07-2009, 11:40 AM
Tressel voted Florida #3 and Cincy #5. :eek:

Les Miles had UC #8.

KoryMac5
12-07-2009, 11:40 AM
The injuries sure caught up to Iowa to the point that the BCS was thinking of taking Penn State a team that Iowa already beat. It really will depend on how Iowa's freshman QB plays in the Orange Bowl. He looked really good vs. Ohio State not so much in the other games. Plus Iowa will have been idle for almost two months by the time the game is played, young freshman QB's need reps not rest. Iowa better hope that great defense of theirs can keep them in the game.

I do agree with BuckeyeRed the field is pretty underwhelming and mediocre at best when you look at it. There are the top 5 teams and everybody else.

jimbo
12-07-2009, 11:41 AM
Iowa is the worst BCS team this year. And maybe the worst at large BCS team ever.

I've read several other similar posts here about Iowa and it just keeps reminding me of the RedsZone game threads during the summer after the lineups are posted. You know, X player is batting in the X spot of the lineup, what is Dusty thinking? Several posts of Dusty and X player bashing soon follow.

X player then goes 4-4 with a home run and 3 RBIs.

Not saying this is what's going to happen with Iowa, but I'd love it if it would.

dabvu2498
12-07-2009, 11:43 AM
So who deserved it more? Pitt? Nebraska? Arizona? Clemson? Okie St? Iowa isn't a great team this year, but they are the most deserving at large team after TCU and Boise. I agree, the field was pretty weak, but I would've gone with Va. Tech.

Sea Ray
12-07-2009, 11:46 AM

You're right about the function of the BCS but its limitations are why we need a playoff badly. Just because Alabama can beat Texas doesn't mean they are better than UC, or TCU or Boise.

cumberlandreds
12-07-2009, 11:56 AM

I agree too. Does the Big Ten have some agreement with the BCS to put two of their teams in a BCS? If not that is a travesty they are in one. Even with an agreement of that sort it's bad. That's one BCS bowl I won't be watching.

cumberlandreds
12-07-2009, 11:57 AM
So who deserved it more?

Pitt? Nebraska? Arizona? Clemson? Okie St?

Iowa isn't a great team this year, but they are the most deserving at large team after TCU and Boise.

I would have taken any of those teams over Iowa. Also Va Tech or maybe even Utah.

cumberlandreds
12-07-2009, 12:00 PM
Texas would've been in the Cotton Bowl under the old system.

If the SWC was still around that's correct. The pre BCS system was corrupt at best. The BCS is a much better system but not near as good as a true playoff.

cumberlandreds
12-07-2009, 12:02 PM
I still think the SEC still has that "southern pride" thing going on dating back to the Civil War. And yes, I'm serious. There's more unity for the schools down south. Alabama and Tennessee hate each other, but they'll be rooting for each other during bowl season. I don't get it.

That would be like me rooting for the Cubs to win the world series. I'd light myself on fire than root for the Cubs even against the yankees or Red Sox. 29 World Series titles for the yankees couldn't undo the pain and agony of seeing the Cubs win #2.

You are basically correct about SEC rooting for each other. I can only speak as a UK fan but I normally root for other SEC teams in the bowls and NCAA tournament except for Tennessee. I just can't do that one. :)

BuckeyeRed27
12-07-2009, 12:03 PM
I agree too. Does the Big Ten have some agreement with the BCS to put two of their teams in a BCS? If not that is a travesty they are in one. Even with an agreement of that sort it's bad. That's one BCS bowl I won't be watching.

No there is no agreement. The Big 10 has the same rules as all the other conferences. However after the first game all the other games care about is money and match ups. Despite your other post Iowa is the most deserving team this year. But more importantly on a money basis they were selected. The fact is Big 10 and SEC teams have large passionate fan bases that will travel to watch their team play football. So in most years if there is a choice between a Big 10 and a ACC or Big East school (which this year there wasn't) the Big 10 school is going to get the nod.

dabvu2498
12-07-2009, 12:03 PM
I agree too. Does the Big Ten have some agreement with the BCS to put two of their teams in a BCS? If not that is a travesty they are in one. Even with an agreement of that sort it's bad. That's one BCS bowl I won't be watching. I will because I find GT's offense fascinating. Well, that and I'm a degenerate college fb fan.

OnBaseMachine
12-07-2009, 12:05 PM
If you ever root for your most hated rival just because they were in your conference, then you don't really have a rival.

Agreed 100%. I'll never understand how some can root for hated rivals just for conference pride. It takes away from the rivalry.

GIDP
12-07-2009, 12:05 PM
You could also argue that Cincy is as low as the 6th best team, behind not only Alabama & Texas, but also 1 loss Florida and the Boise/TCU undefeateds.

No you couldnt.

BRM
12-07-2009, 12:11 PM
Agreed 100%. I'll never understand how some can root for hated rivals just for conference pride. It takes away from the rivalry.

I know I don't. It will be a cold day in hell before I ever root for Purdue.

kaldaniels
12-07-2009, 12:15 PM
No you couldnt.

I can make a case for Florida after thinking about this a bit.

1. I make the assumption that Bama is number 1.

2. I make the assumption that Florida will beat UC (without much problem in my opinion).

3. The only team Florida lost to was to number 1 Bama.

Now I'm not saying this is how I would vote...but I can't shake myself of the fact that the logic above is there. Remember these rankings are all speculative so opposing arguments can be made...but if you agree with 1 and 2 above...why can't Florida be above UC in one's poll. Its all moot anyway as it will be settled on the field.

GIDP
12-07-2009, 12:17 PM

Because some people think that if their rival wins it some how makes their favorite team better. Only conference that really does this is the SEC. If Pitt was in the National Title game I dont know if I would be actively rooting against them. It does get embarrassing when people openly become fans of every other team in the same conference though the way some people do it.

Cheering for your conference to do well is one thing but actively boasting about how awesome your conference is what drives most college football fans nuts about SEC fans.

cincrazy
12-07-2009, 12:18 PM
No you couldnt.

Taking nothing away from the Bearcats, but it's absurd to contend that you can't make an argument for those other teams being better. Not saying they ARE better, but it's certainly possible. Cincinnati has the weakest defense out of all of them, and it's not even close.

GIDP
12-07-2009, 12:18 PM
I can make a case for Florida after thinking about this a bit.

1. I make the assumption that Bama is number 1.

2. I make the assumption that Florida will beat UC (without much problem in my opinion).

3. The only team Florida lost to was to number 1 Bama.

Now I'm not saying this is how I would vote...but I can't shake myself of the fact that the logic above is there. Remember these rankings are all speculative so opposing arguments can be made...but if you agree with 1 and 2 above...why can't Florida be above UC in one's poll. Its all moot anyway as it will be settled on the field.
they might not beat florida but Cincy is still 3rd best ranked team. If they got a 9th ranked team in a BCS bowl it would have been a slap in the face.

GIDP
12-07-2009, 12:20 PM
Taking nothing away from the Bearcats, but it's absurd to contend that you can't make an argument for those other teams being better. Not saying they ARE better, but it's certainly possible. Cincinnati has the weakest defense out of all of them, and it's not even close.

Ok fine then I argue Cincy is the best team in college football.

Hoosier Red
12-07-2009, 12:21 PM
I know I don't. It will be a cold day in hell before I ever root for Purdue.

Darn right, on a different vein when the Big 11 won the B11/ACC challenge this year I was happy that the conference as a whole won, but if I had to line up my three least favorite Big 11 schools, Purdue, Illinois and THE Ohio State University are probably at the top of the list.

Sea Ray
12-07-2009, 12:24 PM
You are basically correct about SEC rooting for each other. I can only speak as a UK fan but I normally root for other SEC teams in the bowls and NCAA tournament except for Tennessee. I just can't do that one. :)

What separates Tennessee from the rest of the SEC?

As a Tennessee fan I root for SEC teams in Bowls because it helps strength of schedule arguments. The fact is teams in different conferences play completely different schedules. Thus how do I compare UT's 7-5 with Connecticut's 7-5? Since there are no common opponents the record comparison is pretty useless. But seeing how UC fares against Florida will give me an idea since UT played Florida and U Conn played UC

WMR
12-07-2009, 12:44 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H05bHQpQ8q8

cumberlandreds
12-07-2009, 12:59 PM
What separates Tennessee from the rest of the SEC?

For me, Tennessee is the biggest rival. Louisville has surpassed that for most UK fans over the years but when I was growing up as a UK fan Tennessee was the most hated rival no matter the sport. They still are for me. From reading others posts it seems like their is one big rival in the conference they won't root for over anyone else. I think that's typical.

Plus Plus
12-07-2009, 01:59 PM

Keep in mind that GT is forced to play in the Orange Bowl as the ACC champion, and UC is forced to play in the Sugar Bowl as Big East champion. There is no scenario that they could have had occur where they played one another, just as there was no scenario where OSU would have played anyone other than Oregon this year. Even with the BCS, bowls retain their auto-bid conference ties.

And the reason that Iowa is going to a bcs game is because Penn St. and Iowa are the only bcs conference teams (sans Florida) with less than three losses. The BCS would have been certifiably insane to pick a three loss team over a choice of two different two loss teams, especially teams with large enough fan bases to fill up stadiums across the nation.

cincrazy
12-07-2009, 02:02 PM
Ok fine then I argue Cincy is the best team in college football.

I can respect that opinion.

I wasn't trying to belittle Cincinnati earlier. I don't feel they're the best team in the country.... HOWEVER, it's a shame they don't get a chance to prove it.

I didn't think George Mason could beat UConn a few years ago to advance to the Final Four... but they got a shot, and they did.

Too bad UC can't get the same.

dabvu2498
12-07-2009, 02:55 PM
I still think the SEC still has that "southern pride" thing going on dating back to the Civil War.

That's right. We got our butt kicked at war so we have made our solemn pledge to kicking y'all's Yankee butts at college football 145 years later. And when y'all Yankees realize that nothing relevant has happened in college football above the Mason-Dixon Line for about 7 years, y'all will be better off!!! :D

Seriously, I've been thinking on how to better answer "the SEC question" all day and I finally have some time, so here goes. Bear with me, this may take a while.

The rabid nature of SEC fans is due in part to the fact, that other than the Braves, there's not a professional team in the Deep South with a broad fan base. Kids who are born and raised in the Deep South are born and raised mostly on college football. Basketball is just a warm place to be until Spring practice starts. Baseball is a nice summertime diversion, but Southerers would prefer to play than watch.

So college football is it. And in families, those college loyalties run deep. I've always been "weird" in my family for going to a school in the SEC other than UK. If I had gone to Ohio State or Northwestern or even Duke, that would have been ok, but I went to a place where we play each other. A good friend of mine came from a UT family. He decided to go to Ole Miss because it was the only SEC team that would give him a shot to play baseball. You would have thought the Earth's axis had shifted in his family.

But there is a cultural aspect to it. We know all about each other. We know each other's radio announcers, especially the good ones like Cawood, Larry Munson, John Ward, and Eli Gold. We know about Rolling Toomer's Corner, white linens and fine china in the Grove, cowbells, the seismograph and Billy Cannon, that damn song and that damn color in Knoxville, Mr. Two Bits, houndstooth, Woo Pig Sooey, silver britches, going to 11 AM games in a coat and tie in September, 18 MPH, Hotty Toddy, "mama called," and those damn animals everybody goes crazy for (Nova, UGa, Mike, Smokey). It's about Thursday of game week when the RV's from opposing teams start shoing up and taking over parking lots near the stadium... heckling you on the way to class then inviting you over for BBQ and beers later.

A good friend from college made the fatal (to his family) mistake of going to an opposing SEC school. His grandfather had been Coach Bryant's roommate at Alabama and his family remained good close friends with the Bryants. One night we went to the Mongomery Inn for dinner and, I swear, the man teared up when he saw a houndstooth hat they had on display there.

So we can say we hate all that crap, but unless they're cheating or lying (Lane Kiffin), we all have a small bit of envy towards the other schools because, well, it's a lot of fun.

So maybe there's no rational reason for it. Florida beating UC isn't going to make Vandy's 2-10 record look any better. Bama winning the national championship won't make it look any better either. But some of my "frenemies" will be happy, and that's ok.

PS: It was kind of striking that as a student in 1996, we were able to say that we saw national champions in Football (Florida), Men's Basketball (UK), Women's Basketball (UT), and Baseball (LSU), play 3 blocks from where we were living.

WMR
12-07-2009, 03:02 PM
Great work, Dab. I love the SEC and I always will. It's hard for those who aren't a part of it to understand the passion, but you've done a good job enumerating some of those reasons and traditions.

Sea Ray
12-07-2009, 03:32 PM
Keep in mind that GT is forced to play in the Orange Bowl as the ACC champion, and UC is forced to play in the Sugar Bowl as Big East champion. There is no scenario that they could have had occur where they played one another, just as there was no scenario where OSU would have played anyone other than Oregon this year. Even with the BCS, bowls retain their auto-bid conference ties.

UC was not forced to play in the Sugar Bowl as Big East Champion. The Big East has no Bowl affiliation for its champion. Its champion is always an at large entry in the BCS. Last year UC played the ACC champion in the Orange Bowl. That could have happened this year.

Sea Ray
12-07-2009, 03:35 PM
For me, Tennessee is the biggest rival. Louisville has surpassed that for most UK fans over the years but when I was growing up as a UK fan Tennessee was the most hated rival no matter the sport. They still are for me. From reading others posts it seems like their is one big rival in the conference they won't root for over anyone else. I think that's typical.

What do you have against Tennessee? Why not hate Florida? I've never understood why UK hates UT. They can't beat 'em so it's not really a rivalry and UT doesn't really hate UK so the feelings not mutual. They hate Vandy, Florida and Alabama a lot worse. Seems to me a rivalry has to have hate on both sides and each team needs to win occasionally.

KronoRed
12-07-2009, 04:31 PM
I find it funny that fans of other SEC schools rooting for the other ones in bowl games is weak minded and means they are hicks but OSU fans rooting for UC and vice versa, In-State schools, is A-OK.

Ohio pride? ;)

paintmered
12-07-2009, 05:20 PM
Keep in mind that GT is forced to play in the Orange Bowl as the ACC champion, and UC is forced to play in the Sugar Bowl as Big East champion.

The Big East is the only BCS Conference without a specific BCS Bowl Tie-In. They get an automatic bid, but get treated like an at-large when it comes to which BCS Bowl they go to.

Edit: Sea Ray beat me to it.

GAC
12-07-2009, 05:27 PM
I think there's a good chance that Florida has a hard time getting up for the game, based on their disappointment over not playing for the title.

I think it's gonna be just the opposite. Tebow is over the tears, and Florida will be geared and ready for Cincy, or any opponent they would have faced.

If Florida can -again this is a Meyer's coached team (can't stand the guy) - they will be looking to prove something, will run up the score on Cincy, and will really try to embarrass them.

paintmered
12-07-2009, 05:31 PM
I think it's gonna be just the opposite. Tebow is over the tears, and Florida will be geared and ready for Cincy, or any opponent they would have faced.

If Florida can -again this is a Meyer's coached team (can't stand the guy) - they will be looking to prove something, will run up the score on Cincy, and will really try to embarrass them.

Would you try to publicly embarrass your alma mater, GAC?

GAC
12-07-2009, 05:32 PM
I find it funny that fans of other SEC schools rooting for the other ones in bowl games is weak minded and means they are hicks but OSU fans rooting for UC and vice versa, In-State schools, is A-OK.

Ohio pride? ;)

I don't get it either Matt. ;)

GAC
12-07-2009, 05:33 PM
Would you try to publicly embarrass your alma mater, GAC?

I personally wouldn't.

But I'm not Urban Meyer. :D

paintmered
12-07-2009, 05:34 PM

Ohio pride? ;)

I don't think there are many OSU fans that really root for UC. Instead, I'd say most of them want to see UC be successful (but not too successful) and are being polite about it.

GAC
12-07-2009, 05:44 PM
I don't think there are many OSU fans that really root for UC. Instead, I'd say most of them want to see UC be successful (but not too successful) and are being polite about it.

I'm one rabid OSU fan that doesn't agree with you paint (above).

I'm a loyal Ohioan. :p:

A vast majority of us Buckeye state residents haven't had too much to be happy about, lo these many years, when it comes to our major sports franchises (Reds, Indians, Bengals, Browns). The Cavs have done something since Lebron; but even they were laughingstocks for years.

I don't consider UC a rival. I would like them to become one though.

Them MAYBE I'd learn to hate them. :p:

But I root for OHIO teams.

jimbo
12-07-2009, 06:00 PM

I'm not so sure I agree with that. I am about as loyal a Buckeye fan there is, buy myself and most of my friends have been rooting for UC. And I'm just not one who worries about the whole "best team in Ohio" argument.

I will say this though, I think there are lot more Buckeye fans who also root for UC as opposed to vice versa. Haven't met a UC fan yet who doesn't have an utter hatred for Ohio State football.

Plus Plus
12-07-2009, 06:57 PM
UC was not forced to play in the Sugar Bowl as Big East Champion. The Big East has no Bowl affiliation for its champion. Its champion is always an at large entry in the BCS. Last year UC played the ACC champion in the Orange Bowl. That could have happened this year.

You're right, I misread something on CBS. Sorry about that!

dougdirt
12-07-2009, 07:02 PM
I'm not so sure I agree with that. I am about as loyal a Buckeye fan there is, buy myself and most of my friends have been rooting for UC. And I'm just not one who worries about the whole "best team in Ohio" argument.

I will say this though, I think there are lot more Buckeye fans who also root for UC as opposed to vice versa. Haven't met a UC fan yet who doesn't have an utter hatred for Ohio State football.

We should meet so you can no longer say that.

jimbo
12-07-2009, 10:30 PM
We should meet so you can no longer say that.

It would be an honor. :beerme:

Captain Hook
12-08-2009, 12:51 AM
Despite any complaints I share with the rest of you guys I'm looking foreword to the this years Bowl season. As a Ohio State fan it's nice to be playing someone not ranked in the top 3 for the first time since we blasted ND 4 years ago.

And yes, as an OSU fan I do root for the rest of the big 10.This year it looks like the conference will have some favorable match ups.I honestly feel a winning record isn't too unlikely.

As far as comparing rooting for your conference in CFB compared to your teams NFL conference there is no comparison.In the NFL if your team has a great season and wins the conference you get a chance to play for a championship regardless of the perception of your conference.If you beat down your competition and get your wish for your rival to be completely miserable,it affects your team none.In CFB you can go undefeated while doing everything possible to win a championship and you could end up playing in a meaningless bowl game.

MWM
12-08-2009, 01:22 AM
Note: I had no idea it was going to turn into something this long when I started to respond. If you can get through it, hats off to you. :)

Seriously, I've been thinking on how to better answer "the SEC question" all day and I finally have some time, so here goes. Bear with me, this may take a while.

Oh, I get it. Always have. I've spent enough time in SEC land to understand what college football means down there. And I've always pretty much thought it was for the reasons you stated regarding it being the biggest thing they got going in most places. I have no problem recognizing that college football means something different to the folks in SEC country. I've never had any sense of jealousy over it as it's just sports and it's built into the culture there. I'd rather have all the other sports interests I have and not be quite as fanatic about one. But that's just me.

Heck, I think it's fantastic. I love college football and one of these days I want to take a fall season and go on the road to all of the great college football venues in the south. I've been wanting to do that for years (might be easier as it looks like I might be moving to Nashville). I definitely have an appreciation for the overall experience in the south compared to the midwest. Trust me, I get it.

And as a huge college football fan, I couldn't wait to watch the Florida-Alabama game. #1 vs #2 in the country in the regular season!!! I wouldn't miss it. I have no grudge against the SEC or the teams and enjoy watching them as much as anyone. I'm conference agnostic when it comes to watching great college football.

What I was oblivious to prior to the Ohio State loss to Florida a few years back was how much the SEC crowd related their conference to the rest of the country. Redszone is what woke me up to it and I've been bombarded by it incessantly in the 4 years since by just about anyone I've come into contact with who cheers for an SEC school (and yes, it's been a lot worse for those fans of the lesser teams). This was new for me. And before or since, I've never had anything remotely similar with fans of any other conference, probably because most other fans are more into their team than the conference. The extremity of conference fanaticism is pretty much an SEC thing.

What I have found insufferable are all the nonsensical conclusions people draw based on their perceived SEC superiority (not calling you out for this, BTW). I've never had a problem admitting that the SEC is the premier conference in college football, much like the ACC is for basketball (although the new Big East has changed that somewhat) and the Big Ten is for wrestling (yes, I'm a big college wrestling fan and the big 10 dominates that sport more than any other conference dominates any sport. Unfortunately, no one cares. :) ) But since the 2005 National Title game, you'd think the gap was the major leagues compared to AAA for the rest of the country.

I just don't see the disparity being as large as it’s been made out to be by some of those I've come into contact with. Some folks know that it's the strongest conference, but their thought stops right there and they take that to mean things it really doesn't mean. You have to look at why the conference is strong. I contend that it's strength comes mostly from the lack of god awful teams (with an exception or two here or there) compared to most other conferences. There's not many cupcakes in the SEC. That much is clear to me. Most others have a few cupcakes every year.

Most conferences have A,B,C and D teams. Any given year, the SEC has a couple of A teams, then a lot of B teams and a C or two with the occasional D (sorry Vandy). Most other conferences have one A team and sometimes two, a B team or two, then a lot of Cs and Ds. Very scientific, I know, but this is my perception. And in this day and age, B teams are beating A teams more often than they use to and the same for Cs and Bs.

But what I hear all the time are arguments trying to make B teams in the SEC into A team and Cs into Bs. Having the letters SEC next to their name does not make a second tier team top tier. This is the crux of my POV and it gets me mocked by the SECites. But this is what I see being argued all the time and I just don’t agree with it. B teams in the SEC are the same as B teams in most other conferences, IMO. That’s why they’re B teams.

The difference is that there are just more of them down south. Most conferences have one or two, the SEC generally has 4 or even 5. So what happens is folks see that the SEC’s 6th best team is probably pretty close to most conference’s 4th. That’s a fair statement in most years. But for some reason unknown to me, huge leaps are then taken to imply absolute superiority in individual team matchups that really aren’t that lopsided when looked at objectively from outsiders. So when the SEC #2 or #3 is playing against another conference's #2 or #3, I hear about how it's a mismatch because the SEC is so much better. It’s also blown way out of proportion when trying to discuss rankings among all teams as well.

There was a stretch a few years back where the SEC was as strong as they had ever been. They had Florida and LSU at the top, but then several programs put together better than normal teams at the same time. That’s when Georgia was really strong, Arkansas had McFadden and Jones, even Kentucky and Vandy were solid. But those couple of years were an exception, not the norm and people are assuming it’s like that every year. This year is a good example. Florida and Alabama are elite teams, but the next crop of teams are not all that great, not compared to the previous few years. I think this year is more the norm.

But even those years, second tier teams of other conferences faired OK against second tier SEC teams. In 2006 when Florida spanked OSU, Wisconsin beat Arkansas and both were 2nd place in the conference. Auburn was 11-2 but barely squeaked by a bad 9-4 Nebraska team. Penn State beat Tennessee. Georgia beat VaTech, but it was also close, Alabama (SEC #8) lost to Ok State (Big 12 #7). The only two lop-sided games were Florida and LSU beating a not very good Notre Dame team.

The following year, which might have been the SEC’s strongest it wasn’t much different. LSU beat OSU (and I’ve never hidden my opinion on Tressel in those games), but the Big Ten #2 again beat the SEC #2 when Michigan beat Florida after Tebow won the Heisman. Arkansas got destroyed by Missouri, Tennessee beat Wisconsin by 4 (Wisconsin had the ball inside the UT 10 yard line in the last minute of the game and couldn’t get it in, so it went down to the wire), Auburn beat Clemson in OT, UK beast FSU by a TD, Alabama beat Colorado by 6, MSU beat UCF by a TD. The only real blow out was Georgia over Hawaii.

In 4 of the last 5 years, the Big Ten #2 has played the SEC #2 in a bowl game (last year was th exception as OSU was the #2 team, and was an at-large BCS team as Penn State went to the Rose Bowl). The Big won all 4 games. And the year prior to that, the #2 teams played again, but the SEC team won, but it went into OT. That's not an attempt to assert any kind of conference equity, but it does show that the differences in the conferences aren't always at the top, but usually go deeper. Good Big Ten teams can play with good SEC teams.

See, this is why I don’t buy into a lot of what I hear about this vast gap between the SEC and the rest of the country. What I see from what I listed out above is a lot of good teams capable of winning bowls, but I don’t see them blowing teams away very often. For the most part, they’re playing in close games and even losing some of them. If they were that much better, it wouldn’t be so close most of the time. Where the Big Ten has had a drop off after the 4th team or so, the SEC can go a few more and still win bowl games. But those top 4 Big Ten teams have fared pretty well against the SEC.

So yes, it does get tiring constantly hearing about how much better the SEC is than the rest of the planet. I fully grasp that they are the deepest conference, but stop making it sound like no one else can play with them. And stop with the double standards. When a good SEC team loses to a lesser SEC team it just shows how tough the conference is. When the same thing happens in any other conference it's because the top teams in that conference just aren't very good.

And I’m always hearing the strength of schedule argument regarding non-SEC schools. “They didn’t play anybody” is all I ever hear. Yet few SEC teams play anyone OOC. If I had one disappointment with the SEC it’s they rarely, if ever, schedule tough road games out of conference. I bring it up and the response I get is that the conference is so tough that they don’t need tough OOC games. So you can see why some folks get a little tired of hearing it when it’s thrust upon us at every turn. We can't talk about Ohio State or the Big Ten on this site without someone stopping by making reference to SEC superiority.

I get why the fans are so fanatical about their football down there. I really do. But people would be a lot more receptive to it if it weren’t shoved in our faces at every turn and exaggerated 10 fold. Other people like their teams too and they don’t take too kindly to being told they’re second class because they don’t have an S and E and a C following their name.

GAC
12-08-2009, 05:24 AM

Agree jimbo. And wouldn't the "best in Ohio" really, in a way, be good for the state (Ohio sports fans)? Sports is all about competition. And not just between teams, but also between fans.

I've never been one who gets into the extreme hatred aspect of it. For instance - I've been following the Browns before there ever was a Bengals team; but my younger brother has been a huge Bengals fan since they came into the league. And while "battle lines" may be drawn when they play each other, we both root for the Ohio team. I've never hated the Bengals, or their fans, simply because I'm a division rival. I've followed, and rooted for the Bengals, especially in the 80's during their SB appearances.

As far as OSU and Bearcats goes.... and college football in the state of Ohio, Ohio State has been dominant simply because of their program and history. Yeah, the Bearcats have a football history; but as I mentioned previously (on the other thread), UC really has never placed the emphasis on their football program until in the last decade.

But I hope UC continues to emphasize and build their football program. There's room enough in this state for two "super powers" in college football.

And I'd love to see a rivalry develop. But IMO, there just hasn't been justification for it before, as far as football programs go.

Let me ask Bearcats fans a question.....

Prior to the Bearcats putting in the investment these last several years to advance, improve their football program - and be honest, you didn't have much to cheer about prior - did you follow and root for OSU?

paintmered
12-08-2009, 07:38 AM
Prior to the Bearcats putting in the investment these last several years to advance, improve their football program - and be honest, you didn't have much to cheer about prior - did you follow and root for OSU?

That's a fair question. I grew up in a predominantly Ohio State family even though my father played football for Ohio, so I was a huge Ohio State fan growing up.

Then I decided to go to UC. I remember being torn by the UC/OSU game my freshman year (2002) because it was my childhood team vs. my school. By the end of the game, I was decidedly a UC fan. But I still rooted about as hard as ever for Ohio State to beat Miami that January. That following fall, Ohio State lost to the first time to Wisconsin. A few of my roommates had some friends over who were Ohio State fans. They were balling because of the loss. I'm sure it was traumatic to them, but to me, they needed to get over themselves.

I don't dislike Ohio State, I'm just indifferent to them. But in all honesty, it was my interaction with fans around the subsequent UC/OSU games that turned me off for good. Maybe it's because I dared to publicly declare my allegiance to something other than the almighty College of Columbus, but I remember getting smack talked in Target of all places because I had the audacity to wear a UC shirt to the store. For a large part, OSU fans leave a pretty bad taste in my mouth because I've run into so many jerks out there. It's unfair to paint all of you with that wide of a brush, but the least of you leaves the strongest and most lasting impression.

But now I'm an alumus and loyal to a fault (thy loyal children we will be). I'm going to invest too much of my time, money and emotional energy into the Bearcats and I can't turn it off. I have to say that being a Bearcats fan is potentially more rewarding for me. It's easy to be the fan of a team that wins 10 games every year and has more resources than anyone and plays on New Year's every year. But I've shamelessly promoted UC, grown my season ticket group, shrilled on here for years about the need for alumni to support the team (I got some indifferent responses to that from a few notable UC fans on here four years ago). So it means more when you've played an active role, no matter how small. A school like UC requires that because it needed (and still needs) to grow so much.

Sea Ray
12-08-2009, 09:18 AM
But I root for OHIO teams.

Does that include the Bengals?

RBA
12-08-2009, 11:56 AM
I am hopeful of attending the Rose Bowl so I can see another PAC 10 team beat up on Ohio State. ;)

dabvu2498
12-08-2009, 12:29 PM
Mwm- I will stack the SEC's bowl record and nonconference road schedule up against anyone's. Ga at Okie St. Bama v. Va. Tech in Atlanta. Arky v. Texas AnM in Dallas. LSU at Washington. Tennessee has played at Cal and a couple other tough places recently. Auburn just finished a homeand home with WV. Vandy likely gave up a bowl appearance 2 years ago to play at Michigan. 4 schools with big ooc rivalry games that are played on the road every other year...

Sea Ray
12-08-2009, 02:48 PM
You bet the south looks at football differently.

Alabama announced they're cancelling classes for 3 days because of the national championship game:

TUSCALOOSA, Ala. — Alabama students and faculty won’t have to worry about missing class to attend the national title football game.

The university canceled classes from Jan. 6-8.

The school said Tuesday that students will have to make up for the lost class time. They have two days of classes upon returning from the Christmas break before getting another respite.

Alabama cited the number of students who have to be in Pasadena and those students and staff who want to attend the game.

The top-ranked Crimson Tide plays No. 2 Texas on Jan. 7 in Pasadena, Calif.

Eric_the_Red
12-08-2009, 02:52 PM
You bet the south looks at football differently.

Alabama announced they're cancelling classes for 3 days because of the national championship game:

Nice priorities. Make the entire student population make up 3 days of classes for a couple thousand going to watch a football game.

Sea Ray
12-08-2009, 02:55 PM
Nice priorities. Make the entire student population make up 3 days of classes for a couple thousand going to watch a football game.

Eh, it's priorities, man. Priorities

cumberlandreds
12-08-2009, 02:58 PM

Hey! What's more important? Football or school? :D I know what my answer is.

Sea Ray
12-08-2009, 03:03 PM
Alabama is the same state that changed the mandatory retirement age for state employees so that Bear Bryant could continue to coach past 70.

This from a Sports Illustrated article in 1982:

Now that it has been duly confirmed that 68-year-old Bear Bryant is in a category all his own—the Alabama legislature passed a special law not long ago waiving mandatory retirement at age 70 for him, which presumably will allow him to continue coaching the Crimson Tide well into the next century—Bryant can get back to the business of producing championship football teams.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/vault/article/magazine/MAG1125842/index.htm

15fan
12-08-2009, 07:32 PM

Right call by the school.

For those who can't go, make it just like a regular game day at home. Have people tailgate all day long. Set up projection screen TVs around the stadium. Game will go late into the night, so folks can sleep in their RVs or stagger back to their campus dorm / apartment after the conclusion of the game.

Eric_the_Red
12-09-2009, 07:56 AM
Right call by the school.

For those who can't go, make it just like a regular game day at home. Have people tailgate all day long. Set up projection screen TVs around the stadium. Game will go late into the night, so folks can sleep in their RVs or stagger back to their campus dorm / apartment after the conclusion of the game.

You need three days off to watch a game on tv? I wouldn't expect a place of higher learning to put football above... y'know, education.

So if the Bengals go to the Super Bowl can I tell my boss we need to close down for 3 days? Or if the Reds make it to the World Series I suppose that would be a week or so off work.

I think it is a joke that bowl games are pushed back to avoid a conflict with finals and here the entire school is shutting down because 2% of the students and faculty will be travelling.

15fan
12-09-2009, 10:12 PM
I value education as much as anyone. Have the degrees to prove it. I also have almost 15 years on the administrative side of higher education, so I'm more than a little familiar with the nature of the proverbial beast.

You know what 2 of my all-time favorite memories are?

1: When the Reds won the World Series in 1990, my dad, the ultimate stick in the mud, pulled me out of high school so that we could drive down from Columbus to Cincinnati for the Fountain Square celebration. I can count on one hand the number of fun things that my old man and I did the first 2 decades of my life. That was one of them.

2: In college, I strolled in late to a seminar one spring afternoon, because I was waiting for a FedEx delivery. The delivery was an envelope of tickets so that some buddies and I could go watch our school play that night in the Sweet Sixteen. A friend who was in on the road trip gave the prof a heads-up that I'd be late. When I walked in, the prof stopped the seminar and applauded my enthusiasm. He literally clapped for me.

Some times the fun things in life don't neatly fall into the calendar and happen when it's most convenient. When they do, it's ok to occasionally say to heck with everything and live for the moment. This is clearly one of those moments in the state of Alabama. No one's education or quality of life is going to be irreparably ruined by shuffling around a couple of days of classes.

Carpe Diem.

Eric_the_Red
12-10-2009, 07:45 AM
I value education as much as anyone. Have the degrees to prove it. I also have almost 15 years on the administrative side of higher education, so I'm more than a little familiar with the nature of the proverbial beast.

1: When the Reds won the World Series in 1990, my dad, the ultimate stick in the mud, pulled me out of high school so that we could drive down from Columbus to Cincinnati for the Fountain Square celebration. I can count on one hand the number of fun things that my old man and I did the first 2 decades of my life. That was one of them.

2: In college, I strolled in late to a seminar one spring afternoon, because I was waiting for a FedEx delivery. The delivery was an envelope of tickets so that some buddies and I could go watch our school play that night in the Sweet Sixteen. A friend who was in on the road trip gave the prof a heads-up that I'd be late. When I walked in, the prof stopped the seminar and applauded my enthusiasm. He literally clapped for me.

Some times the fun things in life don't neatly fall into the calendar and happen when it's most convenient. When they do, it's ok to occasionally say to heck with everything and live for the moment. This is clearly one of those moments in the state of Alabama. No one's education or quality of life is going to be irreparably ruined by shuffling around a couple of days of classes.

Carpe Diem.

Did your father have the ENTIRE high school shut down so you could go to the celebration? Did your college stop ALL classes for your delivery?

See the difference? I'm all for playing skipping a day of school every now and again to experience a rare sports moment. My problem is forcing all students/faculty to change their school schedule for it. Believe it or not, there are people out there that don't enjoy sports.

DTCromer
12-10-2009, 08:20 AM

Carpe Diem.

Haha, your professor clapped for being late? I can see why class and professionalism is going down the crapper in this country.

15fan
12-10-2009, 03:36 PM
My problem is forcing all students/faculty to change their school schedule for it. Believe it or not, there are people out there that don't enjoy sports.

My guess is that if you polled everyone metro-Tuscaloosa ;), you would find that an overwhelming majority of them are rabid about Crimson Tide football. Not just interested. Not casual fans. Foaming at the mouth rabid. Think roided up Red Sox fans on Red Bull benders cicra late October 2004.

They fill their ~ 100,000 seat stadium for the spring game. Though it's smack in the middle of the Bible Belt, if Jesus ran against Bear Bryant for political office in Alabama, Jesus would need a concession speech and he'd give it early on election night. I've met a bunch of people with ties to Alabama in the 15 years I've lived here. You know how many of them think the world revolves around something other than fall Saturdays at Bryant-Denney Stadium? Zero. Gameday in Tuscaloosa is the absolute center of the entire space-time continuum.

If someone in Tuscaloosa did complain about the change in schedule for the national title game, you know what the response would likely be to that person?

Transfer to Auburn.

Eric_the_Red
12-10-2009, 07:39 PM
My guess is that if you polled everyone metro-Tuscaloosa ;), you would find that an overwhelming majority of them are rabid about Crimson Tide football. Not just interested. Not casual fans. Foaming at the mouth rabid. Think roided up Red Sox fans on Red Bull benders cicra late October 2004.

They fill their ~ 100,000 seat stadium for the spring game. Though it's smack in the middle of the Bible Belt, if Jesus ran against Bear Bryant for political office in Alabama, Jesus would need a concession speech and he'd give it early on election night. I've met a bunch of people with ties to Alabama in the 15 years I've lived here. You know how many of them think the world revolves around something other than fall Saturdays at Bryant-Denney Stadium? Zero. Gameday in Tuscaloosa is the absolute center of the entire space-time continuum.

If someone in Tuscaloosa did complain about the change in schedule for the national title game, you know what the response would likely be to that person?

Transfer to Auburn.

Which tells me all I need to know about an UofAla college education.