PDA

View Full Version : NFL Early Draft Entries

KoryMac5
12-07-2009, 12:31 PM
We love the draft at RedsZone so much so we have our own Mock Draft that people have a great time with. Over the next few weeks folks will be coming out early. List them here and your feelings on their draft stock.

KoryMac5
12-07-2009, 12:34 PM
Claussen to enter the draft:

Following the advice of deposed Irish coach Charlie Weis, Clausen has decided to forgo his senior season and enter this April’s draft. Rated as perhaps the top quarterback in this year’s class, he is believed to be coveted by St. Louis, Cleveland and Washington — three teams that will conceivably pick in the top 5.

“After the season, in talking to my parents and obviously Coach Weis, I just feel it’s the right time,‘’ Clausen told ESPN.com on Monday before a scheduled 2 p.m. ET news conference in South Bend. "Coach Weis told me whether he was going to be here or not be here, it was time for me to go. He thought I’ve improved so much since I came to Notre Dame. So, I’m taking his advice, and I’m going to head out

Top 5 pick as many teams near the top of the draft will be looking for QB's. The Redskins sent scouts to South Bend for a look and depending on how he does at the combine his stock could continue to rise.

Degenerate39
12-07-2009, 01:09 PM
Where will Tebow get drafted at?

GIDP
12-07-2009, 01:25 PM
Tate from ND is someone im really high on. that guy is amazing the few times I watched ND this year.

GIDP
12-07-2009, 01:26 PM
Where will Tebow get drafted at?

No earlier than 5th round if a team cares enough.

bucksfan2
12-07-2009, 01:32 PM
I wonder at Jimmy Claussen's first press conference if he will sit down with his high school state championship rings on one hand and his 4 BCS championship rings on the other and claim he is going to win super bowls. Oh wait, he never won those BCS championships like he said he would.

KoryMac5
12-07-2009, 01:37 PM

I think somebody will take a chance on Tim Tebow in the third or fourth round. Dude is a pure athlete with strength and speed. It will all depend on how he does at the combine. In my opinion he makes a big mistake if he doesn't go.

GIDP
12-07-2009, 01:39 PM
I think somebody will take a chance on Tim Tebow in the third or fourth round. Dude is a pure athlete with strength and speed. It will all depend on how he does at the combine. In my opinion he makes a big mistake if he doesn't go.

If guys like Pat White cant play in the NFL yet then there is no reason to draft Tim Tebow with a high pick.

MWM
12-07-2009, 01:43 PM
I think someone will take Tebow in the 2nd or 3rd round thinking that this whole Wildcat thing isn't a fad and he could be a real asset.

The only problem I see is that he really isn't a very good runner. He's mobile, but as a puer runner, he was a head down and try to get a few yards kind of guy. He's not fast enough to run in the NFL. But I think someone will see enough upside to grab him earlier than most other teams will. Plus, Tebow is still a young guy. He could bulk up even more than he is now and become a fullback or a situational tight end. He does enough things well that he could have some value on an NFL roster and he seems to be a head strong kid, so he might just find a way to become a productive NFL player if a team is willing to use his skillset correctly.

Oxblood
12-07-2009, 01:52 PM
I remember Lou Holtz saying he would draft Tim Tebow #1 overall, lol.

JaxRed
12-07-2009, 02:14 PM

I'll take that bet.

bucksfan2
12-07-2009, 02:22 PM
I think someone will take Tebow in the 2nd or 3rd round thinking that this whole Wildcat thing isn't a fad and he could be a real asset.

The only problem I see is that he really isn't a very good runner. He's mobile, but as a puer runner, he was a head down and try to get a few yards kind of guy. He's not fast enough to run in the NFL. But I think someone will see enough upside to grab him earlier than most other teams will. Plus, Tebow is still a young guy. He could bulk up even more than he is now and become a fullback or a situational tight end. He does enough things well that he could have some value on an NFL roster and he seems to be a head strong kid, so he might just find a way to become a productive NFL player if a team is willing to use his skillset correctly.

Tebow is a FB. He doesn't throw the ball downfield very well and doesn't have elusive moves. I think the biggest issue I would have with him the LB's he used to run over are now going to be bigger and stronger. His large frame helped in college but it won't help so much in the pros.

GIDP
12-07-2009, 04:46 PM
I'll take that bet.My bet is subjective. My statement is that a team who wants to not waste a pick wont take him before the 5th. He doubtful will play QB in the pros unless the some how becomes a great passer by the time the draft rolls around.

wolfboy
12-07-2009, 05:51 PM
I wonder at Jimmy Claussen's first press conference if he will sit down with his high school state championship rings on one hand and his 4 BCS championship rings on the other and claim he is going to win super bowls. Oh wait, he never won those BCS championships like he said he would.

:ughmamoru

Well, I'm sure the high school state championship rings will earn him instant credibility in an NFL locker room.

DTCromer
12-07-2009, 09:18 PM
Clausen should be a Top 10 pick. I know a lot of people hate him and ND, but he's a legit NFL prospect and may be the best pro prospect in college this year not named Ryan Mallet. Jake Locker is up there too.

DTCromer
12-07-2009, 09:20 PM

Tebow would never survive in a pro offense. Possibly in some type of package, but he'll never be a #1. No way. . EVER. He's never consistently made reads across the field and his accuracy is questionable.

TeamSelig
12-07-2009, 10:27 PM
I think teams will look for a reason to draft Tebow, but he will have to have great stats at the combine.

WVRed
12-07-2009, 11:30 PM
Clausen should be a Top 10 pick. I know a lot of people hate him and ND, but he's a legit NFL prospect and may be the best pro prospect in college this year not named Ryan Mallet. Jake Locker is up there too.

I look for it to be between him and Locker, but make no mistake, this QB class is WEAK.

My ultra preliminary top ten mock, brought to you by the Big 12:

1.Cle-Jake Locker(QB-Washington). I think Holmgren has some role in Cleveland and he would be familiar with Locker as somebody to build around.

2.TB-Nmadkong Suh(DT-Nebraska)
3.StL-Jimmy Claussen(QB-Notre Dame)
4.Det-Russell Okung(OT-Oklahoma St)
5.KC-Gerald McCoy(DT-Oklahoma)
6.Was-Trent Williams(OT-Oklahoma)
7.Oak-Taylor Mays(S-USC)
8.Sea-Eric Berry(S-Tennessee)
9.Buf-Dez Bryant(WR-Oklahoma St)
10.Den-Sam Bradford(QB-Oklahoma)

LoganBuck
12-08-2009, 07:43 AM
I look for it to be between him and Locker, but make no mistake, this QB class is WEAK.

1.Cle-Jake Locker(QB-Washington). I think Holmgren has some role in Cleveland and he would be familiar with Locker as somebody to build around.

7.Oak-Taylor Mays(S-USC)

I think you will see Taylor Mays slide to the second half of the first round. He is a traditional SS, not really favored by many of today's defenses. He would be perfect for a defense like Mike Zimmer's, but he will be limited in pass coverage.

bucksfan2
12-08-2009, 11:32 AM

7.Oak-Taylor Mays(S-USC)

This QB class is weak???? Huh???? I had always thought the experts said this was a good QB class. Depending on how the picks go I think you can see Locker, Claussen, Bradford, and McCoy go in the 1st round. I also don't know if a guy like Sneed could combine his way into a 1st round pick.

As for Claussen I wouldn't touch him with an early pick. He has an arrogant streak that would scare me as a GM. The only QB in today's game that has an arrogant level that can even touch Claussen's is Rivers. I want the leader of my team to be confident yet humble. With the exception of Rivers you never see a top QB taunt the opposite sideline. I have seen Claussen do that numerous times.

DTCromer
12-08-2009, 12:19 PM
Eric Berry laughs and spits at Taylor Mays being in front of him.

Berry is the truff. Reminds me of Ed Reed. The guy is always around the ball.

Slyder
12-08-2009, 12:21 PM

7.Oak-Taylor Mays(S-USC)

If Oakland takes Taylor Mays I may have to hang up the colors for good (or at least until Al Davis is gone). You could have Nnamdi and Neon Deion at the corners and Polomalu and Ed Reed as your safeties and still have below par defense because you are not getting any pressure on the qb and not stopping the run. The Raiders problem has been the front 7 the last few years and we continue to reach like morons with our first round picks for track guys and physical freaks with million dollar arm and 5 cent head qbs.

This QB class is the deepest of potential draft picks that we have seen since maybe the class that included Rivers and Manning. This class could literally go 8-10 deep of at least BACKUP ability. To the point where some team maybe really happy with a guy in the 3rd-4th round because theres just so many.

In no particular order:
Claussen (already declared)
Bradford (already declared)
Locker (if he declares)
Mallet (if he declares)
LaFevour
McCoy
Pike

All 7 of these guys could be taken in the first 2 rounds.

Tebow is a floater in my eyes (depends on if he's willing to take a "slash" role to start and "earn" a qb job)

Robinson
Keenum
Hiller
Snead (if he declares)

These 4 could very easily move up into that first group with impressive numbers at the combine and workouts.

One guy that I hope an NFL with a GOOD coaching staff takes a chance on is Jared Brown, the guy has all the physical tools he lacks the experience only starting this year at WVU, great charecter guy, will "wait his turn", and had arguably the biggest... (thinking of a word that won't get me in trouble with the mods)... morons in division 1 as his coach and offensive cordinator, plus a concussion vs Marshall really affected his season.

Plus Plus
12-08-2009, 12:31 PM
Tebow would never survive in a pro offense. Possibly in some type of package, but he'll never be a #1. No way. . EVER. He's never consistently made reads across the field and his accuracy is questionable.

Tebow could be a real killer if drafted by Miami.

Slyder
12-08-2009, 12:41 PM
Tebow could be a real killer if drafted by Miami.

Theyve already got a better model... Pat White :D :p:;)

WVRed
12-08-2009, 06:16 PM
Eric Berry laughs and spits at Taylor Mays being in front of him.

Berry is the truff. Reminds me of Ed Reed. The guy is always around the ball.

I thought about putting Berry in at Detroit, but they need somebody to protect Stafford. You could also make an argument for Dez Bryant, even with their reputation for wideouts.

The reason I put Mays at Oakland is because it is an Al Davis pick. Think Derrius Heyward-Bey over Michael Crabtree.

WVRed
12-08-2009, 06:20 PM
This QB class is weak???? Huh???? I had always thought the experts said this was a good QB class. Depending on how the picks go I think you can see Locker, Claussen, Bradford, and McCoy go in the 1st round. I also don't know if a guy like Sneed could combine his way into a 1st round pick.

As for Claussen I wouldn't touch him with an early pick. He has an arrogant streak that would scare me as a GM. The only QB in today's game that has an arrogant level that can even touch Claussen's is Rivers. I want the leader of my team to be confident yet humble. With the exception of Rivers you never see a top QB taunt the opposite sideline. I have seen Claussen do that numerous times.

I should probably clarify that. In terms of superstar talent, this class is weak. Claussen is probably the closest thing to it but he is going to have to prove he belongs. The rest have their share of concerns. My mind might change after the bowl games though. :)

I also think this will be the year that the Bengals will invest in a QB somewhere in rounds 2-4. The defense really has no holes, but I think you will see the offense get some looks in this years draft. I would be ecstatic with Mardy Gilyard in the first and Jevan Snead possibly falling to the second. Might be a pipe dream though.

DTCromer
12-08-2009, 09:01 PM
I thought about putting Berry in at Detroit, but they need somebody to protect Stafford. You could also make an argument for Dez Bryant, even with their reputation for wideouts.

The reason I put Mays at Oakland is because it is an Al Davis pick. Think Derrius Heyward-Bey over Michael Crabtree.

That theory sounds great, but Al Davis is obsessed with speed and Mayes isn't exactly a speedster. The only tool Al Davis owns is a stop watch. He doesn't care much about anything else.

GIDP
12-08-2009, 09:13 PM
Theyve already got a better model... Pat White :D :p:;)

Pat White is a better QB in general.

bucksfan2
12-09-2009, 09:43 AM
I should probably clarify that. In terms of superstar talent, this class is weak. Claussen is probably the closest thing to it but he is going to have to prove he belongs. The rest have their share of concerns. My mind might change after the bowl games though. :)

I also think this will be the year that the Bengals will invest in a QB somewhere in rounds 2-4. The defense really has no holes, but I think you will see the offense get some looks in this years draft. I would be ecstatic with Mardy Gilyard in the first and Jevan Snead possibly falling to the second. Might be a pipe dream though.

I think they look OT and WR early in the draft. I agree with you I would like a project at QB in the mid to late rounds. Snead is a possibility.

While this QB class may lack luster, the same players didn't lack much luster last season. Bradford was a #1 pick and McCoy was a late round 1 guy early 2 guy. Its amazing how one year can change so much. I also would be wary of "great" classes and "average" classes. Too much is decided based on snap judgments instead of longer term projections.

As for Mays I wouldn't be surprised if Oakland takes him. I think he deserves to go in the mid to late 1st round but I think his combine will be great and he will move into the top 10, perfect for Al Davis.

DTCromer
12-09-2009, 09:52 AM

I'd agree. There's not a "superstar" in this class, but it's pretty deep. Claussen is the most polished and NFL ready IMO. He'll be a pretty good NFL QB no matter what most ND haters think. . . and I'm one of them.

TC81190
12-11-2009, 01:59 AM
What are the odds, does the board think, of Gilyard going to the Bengals?

GIDP
12-11-2009, 02:02 AM
What are the odds, does the board think, of Gilyard going to the Bengals?

Do we even know what round he will go in? I cant see him going much higher than 3rd or 4th.

bucksfan2
12-11-2009, 10:38 AM
Do we even know what round he will go in? I cant see him going much higher than 3rd or 4th.

Ginn a better returner but an less polished WR went in the top 10.

Hester a better returner but had no position to play went in the 2nd round.

Gilyard has the height and speed to be a good NFL WR. He has the ability to take a kickoff or punt to the house. He is a perfect round 2 pick for a team like the Bengals. I wouldn't touch him in the 1st, as a Bengal, because I think there are more pressing needs (OT).

wolfboy
12-11-2009, 11:36 AM
Ginn a better returner but an less polished WR went in the top 10.

Hester a better returner but had no position to play went in the 2nd round.

Gilyard has the height and speed to be a good NFL WR. He has the ability to take a kickoff or punt to the house. He is a perfect round 2 pick for a team like the Bengals. I wouldn't touch him in the 1st, as a Bengal, because I think there are more pressing needs (OT).

Yeah. With his ability to be a big play maker, I'd be shocked if he didn't go in the 3rd round or higher. That being said, a lot can happen between now and draft day.

GIDP
12-11-2009, 12:05 PM
Mardy needs to add some weight.

Slyder
12-15-2009, 03:22 AM
You can take Jake Locker off the list of potential QBs taken in Rd 1 of the NFL Draft. ESPN is reporting that he is returning to the University of Washington for his senior season.

dougdirt
12-15-2009, 04:31 AM
You can take Jake Locker off the list of potential QBs taken in Rd 1 of the NFL Draft. ESPN is reporting that he is returning to the University of Washington for his senior season.

Idiot.

Too much risk involved if you ask me to return to school looking at being a Top 5 pick (arguably the #1 pick).

reds44
12-15-2009, 06:17 AM
He didn't learn from Sam Bradford.

bucksfan2
12-15-2009, 10:27 AM
Idiot.

Too much risk involved if you ask me to return to school looking at being a Top 5 pick (arguably the #1 pick).

Ironic that you are calling a kid an idiot because he wants go back and pursue his college degree.

I will never criticize a player who wants to go back to school for a senior year. Some times they don't work, Sam Bradford, but at other times it is a smart decision. More than anything I would blame a head coach, Bob Stoops, for convincing a kid to come back to school.

BuckeyeRedleg
12-15-2009, 10:35 AM
Maybe Locker's family is loaded or maybe he just enjoys the college experience. Maybe both.

Good for him. Good for college football.

GIDP
12-15-2009, 10:41 AM
Ironic that you are calling a kid an idiot because he wants go back and pursue his college degree.

I will never criticize a player who wants to go back to school for a senior year. Some times they don't work, Sam Bradford, but at other times it is a smart decision. More than anything I would blame a head coach, Bob Stoops, for convincing a kid to come back to school.

Yea he is an idiot. You never pass up being a top 5 pick.

bucksfan2
12-15-2009, 10:57 AM
Yea he is an idiot. You never pass up being a top 5 pick.

Stay classy. :thumbup:

GIDP
12-15-2009, 11:05 AM
Stay classy. :thumbup:

I cant for the life of me understand anyone who would advise anyone to pass up that much money in any situation. So in my mind yes he's being an idiot if he does. It's simply a dumb decision.

bucksfan2
12-15-2009, 11:28 AM
I cant for the life of me understand anyone who would advise anyone to pass up that much money in any situation. So in my mind yes he's being an idiot if he does. It's simply a dumb decision.

Maybe there is more to Locker than money. Maybe it is a sense of community. Maybe he wants to be there when UW turns the corner. Maybe he wants to win a Heisman. Maybe he just really enjoys the college football lifestyle. Maybe he took out one heck of an insurance policy. Maybe his coach, who helped Palmer, Leinhart, Booty, and Sanchez told him stuff he needs to work on to be successful at the next level. Maybe he wants an education to fall back on after his playing career. I bet many of ex football players would want an education to fall back on after they go broke 5 years once they are done playing.

Chip R
12-15-2009, 11:59 AM
Maybe there is more to Locker than money. Maybe it is a sense of community. Maybe he wants to be there when UW turns the corner. Maybe he wants to win a Heisman. Maybe he just really enjoys the college football lifestyle. Maybe he took out one heck of an insurance policy. Maybe his coach, who helped Palmer, Leinhart, Booty, and Sanchez told him stuff he needs to work on to be successful at the next level. Maybe he wants an education to fall back on after his playing career. I bet many of ex football players would want an education to fall back on after they go broke 5 years once they are done playing.

I hope all that is true. However, college will always be there if he wants it. Sam Bradford went from Top 5 pick to low first/second round pick. That's a huge difference in money. Locker could not only finish his education at his leisure but he could have a building named after him with the money he could donate to UW.

GIDP
12-15-2009, 12:16 PM
Dare I say its irresponsible to pass on top 5 pick money. There is no excuse other than your family is already loaded for passing on that money. Anyone who tells a kid to pass on it is being selfish in some fashion.

Puffy
12-15-2009, 01:00 PM
Geez, maybe he feels he is not ready. Maybe he feels like he would rather play in 13 games next year rather than sit on the sidelines with a clipboard for 17 weeks. Maybe he really enjoys the college life and wants to finish what he started with his classmates.

QBs make their money no matter what. They can play into their late 30s. Jake Locker will be fine.

Hoosier Red
12-15-2009, 01:27 PM
From a money standpoint, it's no doubt a dumb decision. From a quality of life standpoint it's impossible to say.

From a being ready standpoint? THat's a hard pill to swallow because he's already going to be a top 5 selection, he's basically giving his future employer one year of free on the job training, which gets us back to a money decision and from a money standpoint there's no argument it is not in his best interest to return to school.

Scrap Irony
12-15-2009, 01:54 PM
I wouldn't have traded my college experience for any amount of money. I wanted no part of having to grow up and be an adult earlier than absolutely necessary.

If Locker is similar, it's an easy decision. Besides, it's not like Bradford will end up destitute. He'll make a million or two pretty much no matter what. And, if you're smart, that's plenty of money to make last for an entire lifetime.

GIDP
12-15-2009, 02:35 PM
I wouldn't have traded my college experience for any amount of money. I wanted no part of having to grow up and be an adult earlier than absolutely necessary.

If Locker is similar, it's an easy decision. Besides, it's not like Bradford will end up destitute. He'll make a million or two pretty much no matter what. And, if you're smart, that's plenty of money to make last for an entire lifetime.

You wouldnt have traded a year or two of college for 30 million guaranteed? wow.

Scrap Irony
12-15-2009, 05:22 PM
$30 million in one season? Not likely. More like $5 to $10 million.

And yeah, some things are worth more than money.

Too, it's not like this is an either/or situation. He's going to get paid. He's just putting it off for a year so he can still be a kid.

And that's worth far more than $30 million. At least to me.

GIDP
12-15-2009, 05:45 PM

Too, it's not like this is an either/or situation. He's going to get paid. He's just putting it off for a year so he can still be a kid.

Mark Sanchez got 30 million guaranteed last year.

dougdirt
12-15-2009, 05:49 PM

A college degree will always be there.... what are the odds that a $50M deal is? One wrong move and he could lose $50M. Its just a poor decision on his part.

dougdirt
12-15-2009, 05:53 PM

So is 1 year of college worth risking tens of millions of dollars if he gets hurt? I am sorry, but partying at the frat house is never worth that kind of money. I didn't go to college, so I am not the expert on the college life, but I do know that there is very little in life that is worth tens of millions of dollars for just an experience (and basically that is only going to come down to life itself - wife, kids, family... not some 'college experience' which I have already had 3 years of).

Scrap Irony
12-15-2009, 06:51 PM
[QUOTE=dougdirt;2003239]I am sorry, but partying at the frat house is never worth that kind of money. I didn't go to college, so I am not the expert on the college life...[QUOTE]

Then you can't understand the importance of it. College is a seminal experience, much like marriage and children.

GIDP
12-15-2009, 07:41 PM
Id probably leave my wife for 30 million dollars. Especially if I could go back to them after 3 or so years.

Revering4Blue
12-15-2009, 07:46 PM
Geez, maybe he feels he is not ready. Maybe he feels like he would rather play in 13 games next year rather than sit on the sidelines with a clipboard for 17 weeks. Maybe he really enjoys the college life and wants to finish what he started with his classmates.

QBs make their money no matter what. They can play into their late 30s. Jake Locker will be fine.

Exactly. Another year with Sarkisian and Nussmeir will help immensely.

Granted, it is early, but every mock I've seen has both Claussen and Bradford taken ahead of Locker. Plus, Colt McCoy will likely go in round 1, and who knows
if Mallett will declare.

Scrap Irony
12-15-2009, 08:40 PM
Id probably leave my wife for 30 million dollars. Especially if I could go back to them after 3 or so years.

And I wouldn't leave mine for any amount.

Obviously, our priorities are different.

dougdirt
12-15-2009, 08:45 PM
Then you can't understand the importance of it. College is a seminal experience, much like marriage and children.

Marriage and children are comparable experiences to 4 years of college over 3 years? Please. Marriage and children are about love, the rest of your life and so much more. 1 year of college in no way, shape or form can possibly compare to those things.

Granted, it is early, but every mock I've seen has both Claussen and Bradford taken ahead of Locker. Plus, Colt McCoy will likely go in round 1, and who knows if Mallett will declare.

Mel Kipers big board has Jake Locker at #5 (http://insider.espn.go.com/nfl/draft10/insider/news/story?id=4727227&action=login&appRedirect=http%3a%2f%2finsider.espn.go.com%2fnfl %2fdraft10%2finsider%2fnews%2fstory%3fid%3d4727227 ) overall behind Suh, G McCoy, Berry and Claussen.

Todd McShay has Locker going #1 overall (http://espn.go.com/blog/pac10/post/_/id/6305/locker-no-1) on his most recent mock draft.

I guess my question is, what mock drafts are you reading?

TeamSelig
12-15-2009, 08:54 PM

LOL

Scrap Irony
12-15-2009, 08:57 PM
Marriage and children are comparable experiences to 4 years of college over 3 years?

My college years were the best of my life. My wife agrees. I'm sure our children will agree as well. College is where you experience life for the first time. Where you're truly free to do just about anything you want to do. You dabble in a thousand things, learning not just about literature, science, or history, but about your own limits and abilities.

You make the best friends you'll have for the rest of your life-- friends you know you can depend on. Even the bad times teach lessons and give joy.

If you've never experienced it, you can't imagine how it feels. Sorry.

And you'd be willing to give that up for a few dollars?

What is money to Locker anyway? He'll have it next year and it's not like he won't be filthy stinking rich in 15 months or so anyway.

What's money to that freedom?

dougdirt
12-15-2009, 09:10 PM
My college years were the best of my life. My wife agrees. I'm sure our children will agree as well. College is where you experience life for the first time. Where you're truly free to do just about anything you want to do. You dabble in a thousand things, learning not just about literature, science, or history, but about your own limits and abilities.

You make the best friends you'll have for the rest of your life-- friends you know you can depend on. Even the bad times teach lessons and give joy.

If you've never experienced it, you can't imagine how it feels. Sorry.

And you'd be willing to give that up for a few dollars?

What is money to Locker anyway? He'll have it next year and it's not like he won't be filthy stinking rich in 15 months or so anyway.

What's money to that freedom?
Everyone I know went to college (friends wise). I did just about everything that they did short of going to class (I did write many papers and take a few exams for some.... but that is another story) and drink beer. I experienced the college social scene and realistically, it just wasn't for me. Its for mostly immature people who need to grow up for the most part but are stuck in some 'frat' lifestyle rather than actually acting like an adult which they should be. I have one single friend that I don't know from before college days, despite me hanging around on college campuses for 5 years with college students. I have known my best friend since I was 11 years old. The only 'college' things I missed out on was beer (not the parties, I was there for those), class and interning.

As for trading it all for a few bucks.... he isn't. He has had the lifestyle that you loved so much for 3 full years. You are making a big assumption that he gets through 2010 healthy and can still be filthy stinking rich if he doesn't. As a quarterback, that isn't close to a guarantee.

And what is money to what freedom? What freedom can he have in college compared to the freedom he can have with $10M in his bank account as a 22 year old professional athlete?

Scrap Irony
12-15-2009, 09:44 PM
But that $10 million comes with HUGE pressure. Why take that on earlier than you have to?

And I suppose we'll have to disagree about the importance of college, doug. I can't explain the importance of it to someone who hasn't been there and tried it. I don't think anyone could. Being there for the parties is hardly the "social scene" I had.

I learned to sky dive while in college.

I learned how to make drinks and clean a bar in under 30 minutes stem to stern.

I rock climbed. Once. But that was enough.

I had a thousand roommates and learned how to live with most of them.

I ate Ramen noodles and peanut butter for a month in order to afford one date.

I learned the importance of not kissing and telling. And of friendship.

I played ball and found out I wasn't nearly as good as I thought I was.

I saw a guy get his ear ripped off in a rugby match. He scored first, then went back to get his ear and go to the hospital.

College basketball games in the student section, body paint, and television cameras make for a really fun night and a really odd next morning, especially if your body paint and hers mix.

Saturday afternoon cartoons with buddies after Friday night beers. Trying beer and Fruity Pebbles because your milk is three weeks out of date.

Professors that "get it", then teach it to you.

Classes you struggle through, and are rewarded for.

10:15 classes and other people telling you how early that is.

Girls in flip-flops, baseball caps, and sweat pants in class are hot. Seriously hot.

I'm guessing Dude is more like me than you, doug. He loves all that stuff. He doesn't want to leave it and he doesn't care all that much about money.

And there's absolutely nothing wrong with that decision, nor is it necessarily "wrong" or stupid.

dougdirt
12-15-2009, 10:23 PM
But that $10 million comes with HUGE pressure. Why take that on earlier than you have to? Because it may not be there if you wait?

I learned to sky dive while in college.

I learned how to make drinks and clean a bar in under 30 minutes stem to stern.

I rock climbed. Once. But that was enough.

Those can't be learned without college? It costs about $125 bucks to go skydiving. College not required.

I ate Ramen noodles and peanut butter for a month in order to afford one date.

I learned the importance of not kissing and telling. And of friendship.
Surely you don't think people who don't go to college don't know the value of money or not having much of it do you? As for not kissing and telling.... yeah, something else that doesn't require college to learn.

I played ball and found out I wasn't nearly as good as I thought I was.

I saw a guy get his ear ripped off in a rugby match. He scored first, then went back to get his ear and go to the hospital. Good story. I blew up my knee playing football, then walked up 50 steps by myself because no one thought I was truly hurt. A few weeks later I had two knee surgeries to fix a blown ACL and shredded meniscus. Didn't require college for that one.

College basketball games in the student section, body paint, and television cameras make for a really fun night and a really odd next morning, especially if your body paint and hers mix. Did those at UC. Don't need to be a student for those.

Saturday afternoon cartoons with buddies after Friday night beers. Trying beer and Fruity Pebbles because your milk is three weeks out of date.
Not dumb enough to try that one even if I did drink.

Girls in flip-flops, baseball caps, and sweat pants in class are hot. Seriously hot. You don't have to tell me. Like I said, I was all over college campuses from 18-24 because all of my friends were there.

I'm guessing Dude is more like me than you, doug. He loves all that stuff. He doesn't want to leave it and he doesn't care all that much about money.
Trust me, I am one of the last people to care about money. But if dude is like you and likes hot girls, beer and body paint.... he can certainly get hotter girls, more and better beer and glow in the dark body paint with tens of millions of dollars.

And there's absolutely nothing wrong with that decision, nor is it necessarily "wrong" or stupid.
There may not be anything wrong with the decision, but from a career decision, if he truly wants to play in the NFL, its a dumb decision. There are too many risks to take over the next 13 months that can take that chance away from him.

GIDP
12-15-2009, 10:45 PM
I can think of a lot of things I could do making 30 million. Being in college probably holds me back from doing awesome things honestly.

Scrap Irony
12-15-2009, 11:46 PM
Trust me, I am one of the last people to care about money. But if dude is like you and likes hot girls, beer and body paint.... he can certainly get hotter girls, more and better beer and glow in the dark body paint with tens of millions of dollars.

And once again, you've missed my point. College is much more about the mindset and much less the "hot girls, beer, and body paint" (which obviously was not my main point, but I'm guessing you knew that). There is a freedom in college you won't find anywhere else at any other time of your life.

I'm truly sorry you didn't experience that.

But the fact remains, for millions of us, that college is the best time of life. Perhaps he knows this early enough to make a decision not based on the almighty dollar.

This decision is not necessarily a poor one for him. He may be willing to sacrifice that life of constant media pressure and fan scrutiny for one more year of freedom.

I applaud that.

You can't understand it.

Let's just agree to disagree at that.

dougdirt
12-15-2009, 11:53 PM
And once again, you've missed my point. College is much more about the mindset and much less the "hot girls, beer, and body paint" (which obviously was not my main point, but I'm guessing you knew that). There is a freedom in college you won't find anywhere else at any other time of your life.

I'm truly sorry you didn't experience that.

But the fact remains, for millions of us, that college is the best time of life. Perhaps he knows this early enough to make a decision not based on the almighty dollar.

This decision is not necessarily a poor one for him. He may be willing to sacrifice that life of constant media pressure and fan scrutiny for one more year of freedom.

I applaud that.

You can't understand it.

Let's just agree to disagree at that.

College is the best time of the life for most because its the last time they get a chance to not be all that responsible. Guys making $40M aren't the guys who fall into that category. You can't really understand it either because I am willing to bet you have never had to make a decision where $40M was on the table for you. I don't need to understand college life to understand its a very poor career choice to push off $40M+ when there are chances, that you can lose a whole lot of that in 1 single year. We can agree to disagree, but from a career standpoint its a terrible decision because of the risk associated with going back to school. There isn't much room for him to improve as he is projected #1 in several mock drafts, so the only way for him to go is down, thus costing him money (and likely a lot of it).

GIDP
12-16-2009, 12:00 AM
1 injury and Jake Locker is looking at 5 million instead of 30.

Scrap Irony
12-16-2009, 12:01 AM
Did he make a bad career decision?

Perhaps.

You don't know if he did or not.

Is it risky?

Sure, but so is getting out of bed in the morning.

And the pressure he has to go through as the likely face of his franchise can be absolutely stifling. There's no chance he can be free-- ever-- in the media storm of an NFL city and its fans. No chance.

And, fwiw, he's a projected number one pick (before the season is even over) in one mock draft.

Scrap Irony
12-16-2009, 12:02 AM
1 injury and Jake Locker is looking at 5 million instead of 30.

And $5 million is enough to live on for the rest of your life.

dougdirt
12-16-2009, 12:08 AM
Did he make a bad career decision?

Perhaps.

You don't know if he did or not.

Is it risky?

Sure, but so is getting out of bed in the morning.
You just went to the extreme with your comparison. Going back to playing college football is more dangerous to his career than getting out of bed.

Scrap Irony
12-16-2009, 12:52 AM
You're right. Any extreme should be ignored.

Unless he has a catastrophic injury (one that very few QBs get), the kid is going to get paid.

And it's not like an injury is predestined, nor is it a surety it will affect a kid's draft status. Sam Bradford, despite his shoulder woes, is probably still going to go top five (depending on who drafts where and their needs), just behind (or ahead of) Claussen.

dougdirt
12-16-2009, 01:29 AM
You're right. Any extreme should be ignored.

Unless he has a catastrophic injury (one that very few QBs get), the kid is going to get paid.

And it's not like an injury is predestined, nor is it a surety it will affect a kid's draft status. Sam Bradford, despite his shoulder woes, is probably still going to go top five (depending on who drafts where and their needs), just behind (or ahead of) Claussen.

The difference between #1 and #5 in 2009 was $12M. The difference between #1 and #10 in 2009 was over $40M. Thats a HUGE risk to make.

Scrap Irony
12-16-2009, 01:39 AM
That's IF he's drafted number one. (Which is not at all what most mock drafts posted.)

IF he gets injured enough to affect his numbers. (How many "sure-fire" first-round QBs in the past 10 years have been injured in their last year of college enough to affect draft status? One? Two? Not many.)

IF a team cares enough to pick someone else. (Signs now are that Bradford's draft status is the same now despite his injury than it was at the beginning of the year.)

IF he cares about money. (Which is not the end-all, be-all of his life, as seen by his choice of staying in school.)

Lots of if's there, doug.

And it's not such a HUGE risk if you're going to make enough money to set your family up for life. How much can one guy spend?

dougdirt
12-16-2009, 01:51 AM
That's IF he's drafted number one. (Which is not at all what most mock drafts posted.)

IF he gets injured enough to affect his numbers. (How many "sure-fire" first-round QBs in the past 10 years have been injured in their last year of college enough to affect draft status? One? Two? Not many.)

IF a team cares enough to pick someone else. (Signs now are that Bradford's draft status is the same now despite his injury than it was at the beginning of the year.)

IF he cares about money. (Which is not the end-all, be-all of his life, as seen by his choice of staying in school.)

Lots of if's there, doug.

And it's not such a HUGE risk if you're going to make enough money to set your family up for life. How much can one guy spend?

As a pro athlete, you can spend a ton. There is a reason plenty of former NFL players are flat out broke.

And sure, Bradford looks good now, but lets see where he is sitting at after his workouts/combine dates. And yeah, he may not go #1, what if he would have gone #5, gets hurt then goes #25? Another huge drop off in money. And yeah, there are some ifs in there. Not one of which is worth tens of millions of dollars for 1 year of college.

TeamSelig
12-16-2009, 02:23 AM
Actually, one injury can make you go from $30 mil or $10 mil to $0.00 if it is serious enough.

The Operator
12-16-2009, 05:30 AM
I figured I'd pop in and offer an extra perspective on the college life thing.

I'm 22 and getting closer to being done with my Bachelor's Degree, and I wish I had been done about 3 years ago. Maybe it's because of my major (Electrical Engineering) being pretty difficult, I don't know. But I know there are lots of weekends where the best quality time I get with my girlfriend (a Biology major) are when we are sitting across from each other in the library studying because we both have labs, quizzes, and exams to prepare for.

I really just want to be done so I can get going with a career and get my life started. The "college experience", how most people define it, isn't that great to me. Don't get me wrong, I love my major and I love learning, but I'm ready to be done.

If somebody offered me millions of dollars to leave (and I have about one year left, coincidentally), I'd be gone in a heartbeat.

bucksfan2
12-16-2009, 09:43 AM
The difference between #1 and #5 in 2009 was $12M. The difference between #1 and #10 in 2009 was over $40M. Thats a HUGE risk to make.

Doug not sure why you are so jaded on the college experience. And I will never fault a player for deciding to pass up his senior year to go to college.

Sure there is a difference between the #1 and #10 pick. But the reality is its the second contract where you make the big bucks, especially as a QB. Right now Locker just switched to a pro style offense. His completion percentage hovers around the 55% mark. He has things to work on in order to become a legit college QB. Right now he looks very similar to Rick Meier. He won't last very long in the NFL if he puts of Rick Meier numbers and it behooves him to improve on that, and if college is the answer I have no problem with it.

He could be JaMarcus Russel, whom I think is dumb as a rock, and out of the league in 5 years. If you aren't intelligent you can blow though your guaranteed money very quickly. Or he could be a guy like Aaron Rogers who went later in the 1st round but is due to sign a max contract, if he already hasn't done so.

bucksfan2
12-16-2009, 09:55 AM
I figured I'd pop in and offer an extra perspective on the college life thing.

I'm 22 and getting closer to being done with my Bachelor's Degree, and I wish I had been done about 3 years ago. Maybe it's because of my major (Electrical Engineering) being pretty difficult, I don't know. But I know there are lots of weekends where the best quality time I get with my girlfriend (a Biology major) are when we are sitting across from each other in the library studying because we both have labs, quizzes, and exams to prepare for.

I really just want to be done so I can get going with a career and get my life started. The "college experience", how most people define it, isn't that great to me. Don't get me wrong, I love my major and I love learning, but I'm ready to be done.

If somebody offered me millions of dollars to leave (and I have about one year left, coincidentally), I'd be gone in a heartbeat.

I see where you are coming from, but lets look at it this way. Lets say that some engineering firm offered you a $5M contract halfway through your 3rd year in school. You jump at it, take the job, leave school behind, and enter the work force. You know that you are missing out on 2.5 years of education but you figure you will learn that on the job. 5 years later you have to take your professional engineers exam (don't know if Electrical Engineers have to but I know Civil's do). Unfortunately you are unable to pass that exam and the company decides to let you go because they can't afford to have a 5 year vet on their staff who can't sign off on projects.

You do have your guaranteed contract, but some of that went to buy your first home. You used some to buy yourself and your now wife a car. You bought an apartment in a different city because your job required you to do so. And you and your now wife spent a couple of weeks each year traveling. Your guaranteed $5M is now down to $.8M and your work place skills are lacking. Not to mention taxes you have to pay on your homes. What do you do and where do you turn.

Revering4Blue
12-19-2009, 11:49 AM
Locker didn't get a first-round grade from Advisory Committee

Posted by Mike Florio on December 18, 2009 8:25 PM ET

For those of you who admire the dedication and/or question the sanity of Washington quarterback Jake Locker for deciding not to enter the NFL draft in what could be the last year of the big-money windfalls at the top of the pecking order, the decision to stay in school isn't as honorable and/or stupid as previously believed.

As pointed out in the Associated Press article regarding Locker's decision not to forgo his final season of college eligibility, Locker had submitted his name for consideration to the NFL Collegiate Advisory Committee, which estimates where a player might be drafted.

Despite a proclamation by ESPN's Todd McShay that Locker would/should/could be the first overall pick, a league source tells us that Locker didn't receive a first-round grade from the Advisory Committee.

The source concedes that Locker might have still be drafted in round one given the value of the position, but the source insists that McShay was flat wrong in his assessment of Locker.

"That's the problem," the source opined. "McShay is clueless. Up until three weeks before the 2008 draft, he said that [Kentucky's] Andre Woodson would be a first-round pick. He went in the sixth and is out of the league."

And the source explained that these opinions come not from the same-old rant by NFL scouts that guys like McShay and Mel Kiper have the luxury of popping off with no accountability as long as it all sounds good (the same-old rant has a significant amount of accuracy, by the way), but from concerns that guys like McShay do kids a disservice by pumping up their expectations.

"The problem I have with people like McShay saying stupid things is parents and others who 'advise' these kids think McShay knows what he is talking about," the source said. "And they believe him before they believe the Advisory Committee. Then, when the kids go a lot lower than projected they are pissed and/or depressed. . . . This stuff happens every year and we have to deal with the broken hearts because people who don't know what they are talking about put visions of grandeur into young players' heads."

This item isn't intended to be a shot at McShay. But if the Advisory Committee didn't give a first-round grade to the guy that McShay had at the top of his board, then something is wrong with this picture. And we're inclined to think the defect doesn't come from the Committee made up of folks who scout players for a living -- and whose ongoing careers depend not on their ability to talk smoothly about their views, but on whether enough of the players whom they believe to be good players become good players.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2009/12/18/locker-didnt-get-a-first-round-grade-from-advisory-committee/

Mario-Rijo
12-19-2009, 03:10 PM
How stupid is Locker now? ;)

GIDP
12-19-2009, 03:17 PM
I think my stance on if you are a top 5 pick you are stupid for not going hasnt changed.

Mario-Rijo
12-19-2009, 03:24 PM
I think my stance on if you are a top 5 pick you are stupid for not going hasnt changed.

I'd probably agree with that but Locker wasn't stupid he didn't buy into the hype prematurely.

dougdirt
12-19-2009, 03:48 PM
How stupid is Locker now? ;)

I guess my question is this.... we always get to see McShay and Kiper's projections. How often do we see the Draft Advisory's? We have no baseline to compare them to like we do with the other guys.

Mario-Rijo
12-19-2009, 04:00 PM
I guess my question is this.... we always get to see McShay and Kiper's projections. How often do we see the Draft Advisory's? We have no baseline to compare them to like we do with the other guys.

So it's the NFL draft advisory board that's wrong here?

Slyder
12-19-2009, 07:42 PM

They are guys who make their living scouting the college ranks. Todd McShay is the guy who had Woodson as a first round pick until like the week before. McShay and Kiper arent paid by NFL theyre paid by BSPN to blow smoke.

dougdirt
12-20-2009, 04:03 AM
So it's the NFL draft advisory board that's wrong here?

Certainly not, but that guy can sit around and pick apart the McShay/Kipers of the world because they have their stuff out there every week from August-April. We don't get that same thing from the NFL Advisory board. We don't know where they had X player in week 1, 5 and 13 of the 2007 season versus where they actually went.

Everyone misses. Tom Brady went in the 6th round. TJ Houshmanzadeh in the 7th. Troy Williamson went 7th overall. Joey Harrington went 3rd overall. NFL Scouts were all responsible for those picks.

I am just saying that no matter who is doing the scouting, they are going to miss. Calling someone out for missing means very little, especially when no one can see your track record.

Dom Heffner
12-20-2009, 10:49 AM
Certainly not, but that guy can sit around and pick apart the McShay/Kipers of the world because they have their stuff out there every week from August-April. We don't get that same thing from the NFL Advisory board. We don't know where they had X player in week 1, 5 and 13 of the 2007 season versus where they actually went.

Everyone misses. Tom Brady went in the 6th round. TJ Houshmanzadeh in the 7th. Troy Williamson went 7th overall. Joey Harrington went 3rd overall. NFL Scouts were all responsible for those picks.

I am just saying that no matter who is doing the scouting, they are going to miss. Calling someone out for missing means very little, especially when no one can see your track record.

I think this is pretty spot on. I've never seen an in depth analysis of Kiper's suggestions, but this stuff is a crap shoot, and you need someone to have an opinion if you are covering the draft.

And while I sort of roll my eyes at him at times, at least he doesn't just sit there and spout off "backbackbackback" and "He...could...go...all...the..way" for twenty plus years.

Chris Berman may be pretty knowledgeable on sports, but we'd never know it because he fills his airtime with the same catch phrases over and over and over and over.

Revering4Blue
12-20-2009, 01:20 PM
Instant Analysis - Dec. 15

Jake Locker to stay at Washington

Pete Fiutak

“Great athlete for the position with tools and intangibles, but he’s as green as grass and must be developed into an NFL passer with accuracy being the key. Unless he gets to work with a really good QB coach, he could be a major disappointment.”

That’s from the Pro Football Weekly 1993 Draft Preview analyzing Notre Dame quarterback Rick Mirer, who was taken second overall by the Seattle Seahawks. Apply the same thing to Washington’s Jake Locker.

There’s a difference between being ready to play in the NFL and going to the NFL. Locker can’t throw, and that could be a wee bit of an issue at the next level. He’s a bigger, much faster Mirer who completed 58% of his passes this year for 2,800 yards and 21 touchdowns with 11 picks, and for his career he has completed just 53% of his passes with 36 touchdowns and 26 interceptions. While he’s very fast and he’s a great runner, that only matters in the pros if there’s throwing touch added into the mix. But if you’re projected to be a first round pick, and possibly even top five, then you go to the NFL and you get paid millions and millions of dollars to let the professionals teach you. You don’t come back for another year so you can eat pizza with the guys.

More importantly, the Locker might be making a Shelly Long-like career move. While there’s a chance the NFL takes a while to get its act together and enforces a rookie salary cap for the 2012 NFL Draft, the odds are 50/50 that a cap might kick in for the 2011 Draft. That means a $40 million contract that Locker could sign in April might be less than $10 million in two years. Don’t look at this like a superfan or like someone who misses being back in college. This is big business and Locker could be making a mistake that’s even bigger than Sam Bradford’s ill-advised decision to return for one more year.

If you want to be a football player, then be a football player and do it at the highest level. And if you’re going to be a professional football player, then go do it and get paid. I’m glad he’s back as a college football fan, but he might have just taken a really, really big pay cut.

Richard Cirminiello

Wow.

Had you been reading the tea leaves on Jake Locker’s future, surely he’d be leaving early for the NFL Draft, right? A projected first rounder, with a history for getting banged up, he’d be nuts to stick around and possibly be subjected to a rookie salary cap in 2011. Uh-uh. Rarely one to do the conventional, the junior stunned just about everyone by declaring that he’d be back in Seattle for one more season. Yippee.

For U-Dub, that means one more year in Steve Sarkisian’s passer-friendly offense. One more year to grow alongside a young and upwardly-mobile supporting cast that includes RB Chris Polk, TE Kavario Middleton, and receivers Jermaine Kearse, Devin Aguilar, and James Johnson. And one gigantic opportunity to climb above .500 for the first time since 2002 and actually contend for the Pac-10 title. Locker is that important to what Sarkisian and his assistants are trying to do with the program. His return will have a ripple effect that continues into signing day, spring ball, and the start of another season.

In the Huskies’ final game of 2009, the offense delivered its sharpest performance of the year, rushing for 177 yards and three scores and passing for 286 yards and three scores in an improbable 42-10 rout of Cal. What appeared to be the final chapter for Locker in Washington on that afternoon actually wound up being the beginning of something special that’s going to trickle into the 2010 season. With him back behind center, Washington has all the parts to be fantastic on offense, and make the quantum leap it’s been after for the better part of the decade. For a school that’s failed miserably to rekindle the glory days when Don James was calling the shots, this is better news than any December bowl invitation could have provided.

Matt Zemek

1) Let’s provide a reality check for those who think this is a shortsighted and unenlightened move by Mr. Locker: A month ago, Washington was 3-7 and wallowing in misery. Locker is gifted, without question, but the young man – who missed most of the 2008 season and was still trying to get comfortable under center as his 2009 campaign progressed – looked like a distinctly unfinished product over the past few months. He showed considerable composure in a September upset of USC, but Locker didn’t sustain that form in October and November. Beating Washington State and an unmotivated Cal crew for a 5-7 mark should not lead observers to conclude that Locker is ready for the pros. Oh, by the way: Anyone else notice how NFL defensive coordinators quickly adjusted to Mark Sanchez, another quarterback who displayed questionable in-game decision making for much of his 2008 season at USC? Locker needs another year of Steve Sarkisian’s tutelage, against an imposing schedule… at least, that is, if he wants to be a great NFL quarterback.

2) To encapsulate the challenge (and the opportunity) in front of Jake Locker, look at his Washington career this way: In 2007, his freshman year, Locker ran wild and rolled up big numbers in freewheeling shootouts his team lost because of a deficient defense. The 2008 sophomore season was a bust because of injuries, and in 2009, Locker tried really hard – often too hard – to be a pocket passer. The hyped Husky needs a senior season in Seattle because he needs to be able to combine his dynamic athleticism with increased wisdom in the pocket. If Locker can turn this trick, he’ll lay the foundation for an NFL career that will be far more successful than it would have been if he had bolted for the pros as a junior.

Michael Bradley

On first glance, it’s tempting to compare Jake Locker’s decision to return to Washington for his senior year to Sam Bradford’s ill-fated choice to be an Oklahoma Sooner in 2009, rather than being a top-five (or top one) NFL pick. Locker is taking the same chance Bradford is by eschewing an opportunity to be in the upper reaches of the 2010 NFL Draft for another year of college ball and the very real (ask Bradford) risk of serious injury. After Bradford’s shoulder troubles this year, few thought any top-flight NFL prospect would stick around campus and risk torpedoing their professional careers. But Locker’s choice is a good one.

Even though he would clearly be a first-round choice and probably a top-10 pick (ESPN’s Todd McShay had him as the first pick overall), Locker needs more time. He completed a solid but unspectacular 58.4% of his throws this year and has connected on only 53.4% during his career. Locker just switched to a pro-style offense this year under new coach Steve Sarkisian and needs more exposure to that style of play. It’s nice that Locker wants to help Washington continue its rebuilding process and move forward, but this decision, while partially about the Huskies, will be more beneficial to the QB himself, even though he takes a chance by coming back, especially since he missed eight games in ’08 with a busted thumb. But the reward is greater, since the training and experience he receives in 2010 will position him for a spot perhaps at the top of the Draft and a chance at a more productive professional career.

http://cfn.scout.com/2/929350.html

Revering4Blue
01-08-2010, 06:53 PM
Jevan Snead - QB - Rebels

Ole Miss quarterback Jevan Snead will leave the Rebels for the NFL next season.
Snead has the tools to be a top pick, but his decision making has been questionable. Still, with receivers Dexter McCluster and Shay Hodge graduating, it was probably a wise decision. Nathan Stanley and Raymond Cotton figure to battle for snaps next season. Jan. 7 - 4:45 p.m. ET
Source: Espn.com

IslandRed
01-08-2010, 08:12 PM
The thing is, Kiper and the draft advisory board come at it from opposite perspectives. (I don't really follow McShay's work so I can't comment on it.) "How do you rate this player" and "where do you expect him to go" are different questions that frequently have different answers. Kiper mainly sticks to the first question; the draft advisory board is honor-bound to give a straight answer to the second.

A guy like Locker, who has enormous ability and lacks polish, is the type that generates the most disagreement, particularly with some other name QBs on the board. And QB is the position in the draft that is most sensitive to a team's situation and needs. It's not unheard of for a QB to slip a lot if he gets past the first few teams that need one.