PDA

View Full Version : Vikes v. Bengals - who is ready to clinch a playoff spot today?

GIDP
12-13-2009, 12:10 PM
Some notes about the game I picked up

Larry and Cedric are going to split some carries.

Percy Harvin might not play.

If you guys come across any others post em up.

DTCromer
12-13-2009, 01:24 PM
Harvin is officially inactive.

GIDP
12-13-2009, 01:31 PM
Winfield is playing.

KoryMac5
12-13-2009, 02:22 PM
Good to see the penalties on the line got fixed.

KoryMac5
12-13-2009, 02:31 PM
Hall picks off Favre his 5th int of the season. Lots of folks were upset when he was picked in the 1st round. The kid is alright.

KoryMac5
12-13-2009, 02:35 PM
Bengals first three drives have fizzled, Brat needs to open it up.

KoryMac5
12-13-2009, 02:39 PM
Crocker is down hopefully he can return.

redsfandan
12-13-2009, 02:39 PM
Good to see the penalties on the line got fixed.
Gotta cut down on the penalties.

KoryMac5
12-13-2009, 02:43 PM
Vikings inside the 20 now.

KoryMac5
12-13-2009, 02:44 PM
Gotta cut down on the penalties.

To me that's a coaching issue.

KoryMac5
12-13-2009, 02:44 PM
0-0 after the first quarter, good D being played by both teams.

KoryMac5
12-13-2009, 02:48 PM
Favre is sacked on third down and the Vikes settle for a FG, 3-0 Vikes.

redsfandan
12-13-2009, 02:48 PM
To me that's a coaching issue.
And to me it's a big issue. Penalties are never good anyway but if they want to have a ball control offense you can't be making that many mistakes.

KoryMac5
12-13-2009, 02:51 PM
Crocker looks to be done for the game, carted off with an ankle issue.

KoryMac5
12-13-2009, 02:56 PM
Another 15 yd penalty for the Bengals.

KoryMac5
12-13-2009, 03:01 PM
Flagfest today as the Vikes get whistled twice. PS Rey can't cover Peterson.

KoryMac5
12-13-2009, 03:03 PM
TD Vikes, Bengals are about to get blown out if they don't score here.

CTA513
12-13-2009, 03:06 PM
Offense needs to step up and cut out the penalties or this game is over.

KoryMac5
12-13-2009, 03:15 PM
TD Bengals Ocho Cinco from Palmer. Nice drive to get the Bengals within 3.

KoryMac5
12-13-2009, 03:21 PM
Crocker is indeed out for the game, big blow to the Bengals.

KoryMac5
12-13-2009, 03:27 PM
Penalty number 8 for the Bengals. A 15 yarder too!

redhawkfish
12-13-2009, 03:34 PM
The Bengals might not win this game, but having two shutdown corners is some thing that can carry a team along way. The whole defense can do more things with corners playing the way Joseph and Hall are!

Reds Fanatic
12-13-2009, 03:37 PM
Bengals give away 3 points with a turnover at the end of the half

Playadlc
12-13-2009, 03:37 PM
Just giving away points right now. I don't understand what the heck the Bengals were doing on that last drive.

Playadlc
12-13-2009, 03:39 PM
Man, that last three points scored by the Vikes really pisses me off.

DTCromer
12-13-2009, 03:39 PM
This might be the worst 9-3 team in NFL history.

dougdirt
12-13-2009, 03:44 PM
Just giving away points right now. I don't understand what the heck the Bengals were doing on that last drive.

Yep. If you aren't going to legitimately try to get in FG range, run the ball. Calling for 5 yard pass routes is just asking for trouble.

Redhook
12-13-2009, 03:45 PM
The Bengals are clearly outclassed by the Vikings. Not good.

On the flip side, we may actually see Carson throw the ball a bit in the 2nd half. I'll tell you what, I absolutely despise Bratkowski. He's a complete predictable moron. And, nice calling at the end of the half there, jackass.

CTA513
12-13-2009, 03:53 PM
How do the Bengals start off the 2nd half? by getting a penalty for kicking the ball out of bounds.

:rolleyes:

Redhook
12-13-2009, 03:55 PM
How do the Bengals start off the 2nd half? by getting a penalty for kicking the ball out of bounds.

:rolleyes:

Seriously, these penalties are just inexcusable. Especially kicking it out of bounds. That should never happen.

Redhook
12-13-2009, 03:55 PM
And another penalty offsides....unreal.

Redhook
12-13-2009, 03:56 PM
Puke. Should of been 3rd and 17, then the penalty made it 3rd and 12. First down Vikings. About to be game over.

CTA513
12-13-2009, 04:02 PM
TD for the Vikings.
Expect Palmer to get rushed even more now that the Vikings have an even bigger lead.

MWM
12-13-2009, 04:03 PM
The Bengals are a good football team, but they're clearly not yet in the class of the elite. The Vikes are just better at just about every aspect of the game.

Bratkowski is not a terrible O-coordinator, but I hope they go another direction next year. He's not the guy to get them to the next level.

The Operator
12-13-2009, 04:37 PM
Bengals get to the red zone.

Run, run, pass. Bet nobody saw that coming.

Redhook
12-13-2009, 04:40 PM
Bengals get to the red zone.

Run, run, pass. Bet nobody saw that coming.

Amazing. Even Bratkowski acknowledged they've been predictable inside the red zone. And guess what, he does exactly what he's done all year and calls the worst 3 plays in a row he could possibly choose in his playbook.

Redhook
12-13-2009, 04:42 PM
Bratkowski is not a terrible O-coordinator

He's definitely not good either.

The Operator
12-13-2009, 04:52 PM
Meanwhile, Baltimore is beating Detroit 41-3.

I'm really starting to lose faith in this team.

Joseph
12-13-2009, 04:56 PM
I was mad this game wasn't being shown in my area, now it doesn't bother me so much. I don't think this is a good team, its a talented one, but not a good one. You can't even make the claim they play to the level of the competition because they haven't looked good against Minnesota based on the box score at least.

CTA513
12-13-2009, 05:01 PM
Best thing the Bengals did today was take Palmer out so he doesn't risk getting injured in a game they already lost.

KoryMac5
12-13-2009, 05:03 PM
This might be the worst 9-3 team in NFL history.

Dude you don't even have a horse in this race, and you sound more and more like a closet Steeler fan every week. I don't think anyone here right now is feeling really good about our chances in the coming weeks if things don't get fixed. Right now however I could do without your hyperbole.

GIDP
12-13-2009, 05:03 PM
Having no safeties other than Chinny and having no CBs other than Hall and Joseph kills us not to mention the complete lack of a passing game. Every pass play is terrible from start to finish.

GIDP
12-13-2009, 05:04 PM
Dude you don't even have a horse in this race, and you sound more and more like a closet Steeler fan every week. I don't think anyone here right now is feeling really good about our chances in the coming weeks if things don't get fixed. Right now however I could do without your hyperbole.

He is a Steeler fan.

wolfboy
12-13-2009, 05:05 PM
He is a Steeler fan.

Explains a lot.

The Operator
12-13-2009, 05:06 PM
When does Marvin start to take some of the blame for this?

Year after year, game after game, this is an undisciplined team that shoots themselves in the foot with penalties and fails to show up in important games.

I know a lot of people are grateful that Marvin has gotten the team back to respectability, but I truly think any coach can go 8-8, 11-5, 8-8, 7-9, etc. with a QB like Carson Palmer. I'm really not that impressed.

DTCromer
12-13-2009, 05:07 PM
He is a Steeler fan.

I am? You could've fooled me.

I'm just looking at things objectively. The team has looked like garbage even in their wins this year, except for the Bears game.

Now, if you want to continue to root for a cheap franchise and hold on hope that someday they'll be a winner, then keep rooting for excrement.

SeeinRed
The Bengals are terrible offensively right now. The O-line is weak in pass protections and the play calling is down right horrendous at times. You just have to shake your head sometimes when you see run after run stopped in the backfield or line of schrimage and no downfield pass attempts.

The play calling at the end of the first half had me so angry I turned off the TV. Why call a time out to get the ball back then try two short yardage plays with no chance of getting down field? Just terrible.

At what point do the penalties start to reflect badly on the coaches instead of the players? It is clear that this team is not a disciplined as it should be IMO. That starts with Marvin as far as I'm concerned.

GIDP

Year after year, game after game, this is an undisciplined team that shoots themselves in the foot with penalties and fails to show up in important games.

I know a lot of people are grateful that Marvin has gotten the team back to respectability, but I truly think any coach can go 8-8, 11-5, 8-8, 7-9, etc. with a QB like Carson Palmer. I'm really not that impressed.

We dont have anything remotely resembling the perception of Carson Palmer right now. He is Carson Palmer in name only.

DTCromer
12-13-2009, 05:08 PM

Marvin should be fired for the calls before the end of the half. That's about the dumbest thing I've ever seen a coach do. Even Les Miles is laughing at that type of game management.

GIDP
12-13-2009, 05:09 PM

I'm just looking at things objectively. The team has looked like garbage even in their wins this year, except for the Bears game.

Now, if you want to continue to root for a cheap franchise and hold on hope that someday they'll be a winner, then keep rooting for excrement.

You do nothing but talk about how much the Bengals suck and defend the Steelers. I think its safe to say you are a Steeler fan at this point. No point is denying it anymore.

DTCromer
12-13-2009, 05:12 PM
You do nothing but talk about how much the Bengals suck and defend the Steelers. I think its safe to say you are a Steeler fan at this point. No point is denying it anymore.

There's too many Bengals homers on this board that it needs to be evened out.

All the Bengals fans are laughing at a "down" year by the Steelers and they forget to look at the big picture. If that makes me apart of one of the worst fan bases in sports, then go ahead and label me a Steelers fan.

GIDP
12-13-2009, 05:13 PM

All the Bengals fans are laughing at a "down" year by the Steelers and they forget to look at the big picture. If that makes me apart of one of the worst fan bases in sports, then go ahead and label me a Steelers fan.

I'm pretty sure I already labeled you a Steeler fan.

KoryMac5
12-13-2009, 05:15 PM
They have one or two good drives per game which isn't going to get it doen vs. the elite teams. It's almost like Brat sees something that works and decides not to use it again. As far as I am concered there is no excuse for 8, 9, 10 penalties a game. It is a sign of a very undisciplined team. I would be all for Zimmer taking over at the end of the year.

KoryMac5
12-13-2009, 05:17 PM

It's a Bengals vs. Vikings thread, if you don't like the homers don't post.

Playadlc
12-13-2009, 05:21 PM

Exactly. It is so douchy to jump in a thread with upset Bengals fans after a loss and say things like "this is the worst 9-3 team in NFL history".

Just weak.

DTCromer
12-13-2009, 05:33 PM

Although I've consistently been right about pretty much everything regarding this team, I'll let you guys have back this thread.

Hey, at least no one has blamed Brian Kelly for the loss yet. ;)

dougdirt
12-13-2009, 05:36 PM
Although I've consistently been right about pretty much everything regarding this team, I'll let you guys have back this thread.

Hey, at least no one has blamed Brian Kelly for the loss yet. ;)

You simply can't make an argument that this is the worse 9-3 team ever. Its a matter of opinion. I doubt you have even seen 10% of the 9-3 teams play in the history of the game.

The Operator
12-13-2009, 05:39 PM
I dunno, DT Cromer probably had a lot of time off during football season between those minor league seasons w/ September call-ups.

Betterread
12-13-2009, 06:01 PM
As a vikes fan, I thought this game would be a tough test. Based on what I read on this board, the Bengals have an elite QB, ran the ball well, stopped the run and defended the passing game. I saw little evidence of 3 of those 4 things. This was an easy win.
Palmer's not an elite QB.
The Bengals running game has good numbers, but they can't run the ball when they need to.
The Vikes O-line was a lot better. Sorry, but this is the weakest run defense I have seen against the vikes since the Lions
You have some good corners and did a good job defending the pass - Brett was stymied a lot. I was impressed although it would have been a lot harder if our best receiver, Harvin, had played.

Oh, and the Ocho's trash talking seems to have influenced a lot of players on your squad. That's a bad influence. The Bengals have a lot of "dirty play" penalties. From what I saw, it only fires up the Vikes more.

Redsfaithful
12-13-2009, 06:01 PM
Injuries are killing them, and the Vikings were an awful matchup for a team that likes to run the ball and has trouble throwing.

They'll do better against San Diego I think, might not win because it's tough to travel out west and win but they match up better with the Chargers.

Peko being out is a game changer, and the secondary is awfully thin, not really sure what they are going to do about that. And the penalties aren't going anywhere anytime soon, that's what happens when you have an offensive line that isn't very good. They are trying to get every advantage they can, and that gets flagged sometimes.

Things kind of snowballed this week, it happens, but I am guessing that'll be the worst game they play in the regular season. To say this is the worst 9-3 team ever is ignorant, but most people don't put enough value in a solid defense and good running game.

Redsfaithful
12-13-2009, 06:10 PM
The Bengals have a lot of "dirty play" penalties.

Joseph gets head butted, Chad gets punched in the head/helmet knocked off, Carson gets hit late way out of bounds and the Bengals have a lot of dirty play penalties?

GIDP
12-13-2009, 06:13 PM
Joseph gets head butted, Chad gets punched in the head/helmet knocked off, Carson gets hit late way out of bounds and the Bengals have a lot of dirty play penalties?

Seriously :laugh:

KoryMac5
12-13-2009, 06:17 PM
It's funny how the Vikings fan waits until the game is over to come out of the closet. This team (Bengals) does deserve to be kicked in the butt they played like crap today. Buckle up Bengals fans because it is going to be a rough ride over the next week. I just don't see it getting fixed until KC or the Jets game. Even those two games are in doubt now as the injuries pile up.

Hoosier Red
12-13-2009, 06:20 PM

Okay Carson getting hit way late was laughable. It was stupid by Minnesota's defender and it should have been a penalty, but the Italian soccer team looked at that one and came away impressed.

He was shoved, took two steps and then apparantly a sniper took him out.

Redsfaithful
12-13-2009, 06:24 PM
Okay Carson getting hit way late was laughable. It was stupid by Minnesota's defender and it should have been a penalty, but the Italian soccer team looked at that one and came away impressed.

He was shoved, took two steps and then apparantly a sniper took him out.

Even if you take that one off the other two were pretty bad.

yab1112
12-13-2009, 06:33 PM
I know this has been mentioned over and over but I just wish Brat would be more creative. I don't mean run or pass because I'm pretty sure it's been close to 50/50 with respect to that. Look at the play Chad scored on, they fake a reverse and Winfield bites-leaving a wide open left side of the field for Chad. Now why can't they throw things like that in there more often?:confused:

Even if this were true, how does that justify jumping into threads like this just to post things that are meant to antagonize us?

Tony Cloninger
12-13-2009, 07:42 PM
Being smarmy about the Bengals faults (Gee whiz...they have faults? I did not known that!) makes you no friends here.

Palmer...like Fouts in 1986-87...is not good at ball control passing. But this is what they have to deal with now. However.... if they are that great at running then why could they barely average 3 yards per carry against DET while BAL goes off with 300 yards rushing on 48 or so attempts?

Heck even Flacco threw for 230 yards. On 13 completions. You think they did not go over the top a few times to help that running game?

KoryMac5
12-13-2009, 09:44 PM
I only got to see half the game can someone assess how Smith did in his first start.

traderumor
12-13-2009, 09:49 PM
I only got to listen on the radio traveling home from Southern Ohio, but it sounded like the Vikes were on their game and the Bengals did very little right all day. The offense is missing Chris Henry more than I thought they would.

And I don't know why anyone is even responding to DTCromer anymore. He is obviously posting to get a rise out of Bengals fans. To each his own, but that type doesn't make sense to me.

KoryMac5
12-13-2009, 09:54 PM
Palmer's last few games have been a concern: 178, 207, 110, 220 and 94 yds passing. Palmer stated after the game that teams are taking away Chad and another receiver needs to get open. Coles and caldwell need to step up to the plate here with Henry out and TJ in Seattle.

redsfandan
12-13-2009, 09:58 PM
I only got to see half the game can someone assess how Smith did in his first start.
I didn't get to see all of it but he was probably one of the few bright spots. Lapham was thrilled about it.

This team does have talent. If they could cut down on the mistakes, improve the play calling, and if everyone was healthy, they could be very good. That's alot of ifs though and not alot of time to fix the problems for the playoffs.

redsfandan
12-13-2009, 10:02 PM
Palmer's last few games have been a concern: 178, 207, 110, 220 and 94 yds passing. ...
Why the heck did I draft Palmer for one of my fantasy teams? lol I just really expected more out of the passing attack. Heck any kind of passing attack.

Betterread
12-13-2009, 10:21 PM
It's funny how the Vikings fan waits until the game is over to come out of the closet.
I don't post much in the Bengals thread because the Vikings don't play the Bengals often, but I have posted from the perspective of a Vikings fan before. I wish the Bengals well, unless they play the Vikings.

cincrazy
12-13-2009, 10:30 PM

Man, this is a Bengals thread, where Bengals fans come to chat about the game, whether the outcome is good or bad.

They are 9-4. They are heading to the playoffs. Even if they are one and done, it's still a successful season.

I don't know why you feel the need to constantly run around here starting fires.

WVRed
12-13-2009, 11:21 PM
If the Bengals are the worst 9-4 team in the league, then Indianapolis is the worst undefeated team in the NFL. Especially when you consider Manning threw three picks and the Colts allowed Brandon Marshall to catch 21 passes to set an NFL record.

I think this game will help us get ready for the Chargers. We need that game more than we needed this one, IMO. We still can land a first round bye.

wolfboy
12-13-2009, 11:46 PM
As a vikes fan, I thought this game would be a tough test. Based on what I read on this board, the Bengals have an elite QB, ran the ball well, stopped the run and defended the passing game. I saw little evidence of 3 of those 4 things. This was an easy win.
The Bengals running game has good numbers, but they can't run the ball when they need to.
The Vikes O-line was a lot better. Sorry, but this is the weakest run defense I have seen against the vikes since the Lions
You have some good corners and did a good job defending the pass - Brett was stymied a lot. I was impressed although it would have been a lot harder if our best receiver, Harvin, had played.

Oh, and the Ocho's trash talking seems to have influenced a lot of players on your squad. That's a bad influence. The Bengals have a lot of "dirty play" penalties. From what I saw, it only fires up the Vikes more.

Well, the Bengals might stink, but based on what I saw out of the Vikes last week, they aren't going anywhere either. All the pompous condescension in the world won't help.

cincrazy
12-14-2009, 12:40 AM
I don't post much in the Bengals thread because the Vikings don't play the Bengals often, but I have posted from the perspective of a Vikings fan before. I wish the Bengals well, unless they play the Vikings.

In regards to your comment about the Bengals run defense... they held Adrian Peterson to 3.7 yards per carry. Not too bad huh?

The defense wasn't at fault today. The offense was atrocious. And while Palmer was bad, he's throwing behind a line that can't block and receivers who can't get open, so he can only shoulder so much of the blame.

Matt700wlw
12-14-2009, 03:02 AM
Palmer's last few games have been a concern: 178, 207, 110, 220 and 94 yds passing. Palmer stated after the game that teams are taking away Chad and another receiver needs to get open. Coles and caldwell need to step up to the plate here with Henry out and TJ in Seattle.

On one play Carson threw to Chad, I swear there were 3 or 4 guys near him.

How in the world is somebody else not open if there are 3 or 4 guys near Chad?

The Operator
12-14-2009, 05:03 AM
On one play Carson threw to Chad, I swear there were 3 or 4 guys near him.

How in the world is somebody else not open if there are 3 or 4 guys near Chad?

It's mind boggling, really. Coles is seeming like a complete waste of a roster spot, and I was really happy when they first signed him. Caldwell has been non-existant since the Oakland game.

macro
12-14-2009, 11:27 AM

With all due respect, your opinion of the Bengals would be more valid if you'd watched them play all thirteen games instead of basing your opinion on their worst game of the year. You made some pretty broad, sweeping judgments based on seeing 1/13th of their season.

As someone mentioned earlier, similar judgments could have been made about the Vikings following the Cardinals game last weekend. Those judgments would have been just as inaccurate.

The Bengals haven't led the NFL in fewest points allowed by accident or by doing it with smoke and mirrors. The Vikings were playing at home, were coming off their worst showing of the season, and were on top of their game. The Bengals failed in every facet of their game, and ran into a buzz saw. It happens, sometimes even to teams that end up winning the Super Bowl a few weeks later (not that I'm predicting that for the Bengals). But it doesn't negate their accomplishments in their previous nine wins.

I was impressed although it would have been a lot harder if our best receiver, Harvin, had played.

Yes, and it would have been a lot harder for the Vikings if our best deep threat, Chris Henry, or the NFL leader in sacks (at the time), Antwan Odom, or DT Domata Peko had played. Injuries are all around, it seems.

Hoosier Red
12-14-2009, 11:38 AM
It's mind boggling, really. Coles is seeming like a complete waste of a roster spot, and I was really happy when they first signed him. Caldwell has been non-existant since the Oakland game.

Caldwell had a couple of catches for first downs yesterday but yeah he never seems to be open more than 5 yards down field.

Roy Tucker
12-14-2009, 01:43 PM
So, what's wrong with Carson Palmer?

Physical ailments, lousy receivers, lousy game plan, what?

Eric_the_Red
12-14-2009, 01:55 PM
So, what's wrong with Carson Palmer?

Physical ailments, lousy receivers, lousy game plan, what?

Yes.

;)

I think it is the perfect storm of craptitude. Bad pass blocking OL, no true deep receiving threat, difficulty finding a passing rhythm with the emphasis on rushing and Bob Bratkowski. (Not neccessarily in that order.)

LoganBuck
12-14-2009, 02:27 PM
Amazing stat of yesterday.

1 sack allowed by the Bengals.

This team as finally reached the point that the injuries have caught up. When Chris Crocker went down, the defense seemed to soften. A quick look at what was missing.

Roy Williams
Chris Crocker
Domata Peko
Antwaan Odom

Both safeties, and the two best defensive linemen. Not too many teams can withstand blows like that and still play adequate defense. I think it is safe to say that unless Crocker and Peko come back this team is in a world of hurt.

I think it is time to bring in Joey Galloway. I thought it was a stupid idea three weeks ago, but now am sure that it would be a good idea. Opposing defenses do not have to defend a deep threat, not named Ochocinco, and his game isn't going vertical. Safeties are crowding the box, and playing the run and the short passing game much better. Without Chris Henry opponents are now teeing off on the Bengals offense.

Bring in Joey Galloway.

Eric_the_Red
12-14-2009, 03:25 PM
Galloway won't help if A) Palmer only has 0.8 seconds to throw the ball and B) Bratkowski refuses to call downfield passing plays.

Redsfaithful
12-14-2009, 05:12 PM
I wish I could see actual game film, it's impossible to tell from watching on television if guys are getting open or not. And of course the announcers aren't going to bother telling you something pertinent like that when they could be talking about how much fun Brett Favre's having instead.

macro
12-14-2009, 08:45 PM
I wish I could see actual game film, it's impossible to tell from watching on television if guys are getting open or not. And of course the announcers aren't going to bother telling you something pertinent like that when they could be talking about how much fun Brett Favre's having instead.

Brett Favre Are you implying that Brett Favre there are people Brett Favre who watched the Brett Favre game for a Brett Favre reason other than Brett Favre to see Brett Favre? Brett Favre

LoganBuck
12-15-2009, 12:46 AM
Brett Favre Are you implying that Brett Favre there are people Brett Favre who watched the Brett Favre game for a Brett Favre reason other than Brett Favre to see Brett Favre? Brett Favre

I have Brett Favre on my fantasy team!

BuckeyeRedleg
12-15-2009, 10:40 AM
It would have been nice if this was a better game, but as far as the playoffs go, it meant very little.

The Bengals still control their own destiny. Win out (@SD, KC, @NYJ) and they get a 2-seed and a bye. Lose to SD and it doesn't matter. They will host a WC game.

The way I look at it is - as of now, the Bengals could be just 5 straight wins from the Superbowl.

One week at a time. This next game is THE biggie.