PDA

View Full Version : The Crosstown Shootout: 2009 Edition

paintmered
12-13-2009, 12:29 PM
I can't believe there's no thread on this yet. Rivalry aside, I'm glad that the two schools are finally on equal footing again and that this game can start to restore its national prominence.

Political correctness aside, I hope UC wins by 40. :D

TV info: 7:00 on ESPNU.

Cyclone792
12-13-2009, 12:35 PM
If UC gets up for this game like they did their three games in Maui, they'll give themselves a great shot to win. If they show up with lackluster effort and play like they did against Miami (OH), they'll give themselves a great shot to lose.

Hopefully it's the former. Go Cats!

Reds4Life
12-13-2009, 12:39 PM
UC should win.

X isn't looking so hot, maybe they finally bungled a hire with Mack. The fact they've been able to replace so many coaches without having one backfire in their face is pretty rare accomplishment. Of course it also helps playing in the A10, which is horrible.

Redlegs23
12-13-2009, 12:53 PM
I think UC wins this one. This game is going to be very physicaly IMO. UC has been playing physical on defense and on the boards all year, and with the added excitement of it being the shootout I'm guessing it gets a little chippy out there. It will be interesting to see how much time Thomas gets in his first game as a Bearcat.

In the end, I say UC's defense wins the game for them and the Cats pull out the win 59-55.

guttle11
12-13-2009, 12:54 PM
UC should win.

X isn't looking so hot, maybe they finally bungled a hire with Mack. The fact they've been able to replace so many coaches without having one backfire in their face is pretty rare accomplishment. Of course it also helps playing in the A10, which is horrible.

I think it's a bit early to say even question the choice of Mack. Sean Miller missed the postseason entirely his first season and was really wearing out his welcome the second season until Xavier won 4 games in 4 days to win a crazy A10 tourney at US Bank arena. Mack is 8 games into his career.

And full disclosure, I'm a UD fan. Classy ignorant cheap shot at the A10.

Go X today.

paintmered
12-13-2009, 12:56 PM
Also, this is Ibrahim Thomas's first game of eligibility from his transfer. A 6'11" high post player with a midrange jumper is what the doctor ordered against the zone.

paintmered
12-13-2009, 12:58 PM
I think it's a bit early to say even question the choice of Mack. Sean Miller missed the postseason entirely his first season and was really wearing out his welcome the second season until Xavier won 4 games in 4 days to win a crazy A10 tourney at US Bank arena. Mack is 8 games into his career.

And full disclosure, I'm a UD fan. Classy ignorant cheap shot at the A10.

Go X today.

The A-10 is a good conference at the top with UD and Xavier (both legitimately good programs). The back half of that conference is putrid, you have to admit. The A-10 is the Mountain West of basketball.

GIDP
12-13-2009, 01:35 PM
I can't believe there's no thread on this yet. Rivalry aside, I'm glad that the two schools are finally on equal footing again and that this game can start to restore its national prominence.

Political correctness aside, I hope UC wins by 40. :D

TV info: 7:00 on ESPNU.

I say its a Lance coming out party today.

GIDP
12-13-2009, 01:36 PM
A-10 is bad.

dougdirt
12-13-2009, 01:38 PM
Xavier will win. Why? Because I think UC can actually win this one.

jimbo
12-13-2009, 01:39 PM
The A-10 is a good conference at the top with UD and Xavier (both legitimately good programs). The back half of that conference is putrid, you have to admit. The A-10 is the Mountain West of basketball.

I guess it depends on what you would consider "putrid."

jimbo
12-13-2009, 01:45 PM
A-10 is bad.

I would consider such conferences as the Mid-Eastern, Atlantic Sun, and the Big South as "bad" conferences. The A10 annually finishes around #8 or #9 in conference standings in just about every ranking system. Not ACC or Big East worthiness, but certainly not "bad."

paintmered
12-13-2009, 01:55 PM
I guess it depends on what you would consider "putrid."

Richmond, Duquesne, St. Louis, La Salle, Fordham, George Washington and St. Bonaventure all had an RPI of 120 or greater last year. The A-10 isn't a bad conference. I'd say it's in the top two of the non power-conferences with the Missouri Valley (I hate the term "mid-major") and a conference ranking of 8th or 9th reflects that. But without Dayton or Xavier, it's basically the Horizon League.

BearcatShane
12-13-2009, 01:57 PM
UC 105
XU 63

It's gonna be a HUGE blowout at Cintas Center today. HUGE.

dabvu2498
12-13-2009, 02:05 PM
The A-10 is actually a little better so far this year.

http://www.realtimerpi.com/rpi_conf_Men.html

But I'm loving how Big East basketball fans sound like SEC football fans. That's amusing.

paintmered
12-13-2009, 02:11 PM
But I'm loving how Big East basketball fans sound like SEC football fans. That's amusing.

Not yet.

The Big East is the best conference ever and your lousy school would never win a single game if they played our schedule!!

Okay, now we have. :duel:

jimbo
12-13-2009, 02:17 PM
Richmond, Duquesne, St. Louis, La Salle, Fordham, George Washington and St. Bonaventure all had an RPI of 120 or greater last year. The A-10 isn't a bad conference. I'd say it's in the top two of the non power-conferences with the Missouri Valley (I hate the term "mid-major") and a conference ranking of 8th or 9th reflects that. But without Dayton or Xavier, it's basically the Horizon League.

The only consistent downers to the conference has been Fordham and St. Bonaventure. Richmond is currently at #33 in the RPI, LaSalle at #77. The other teams you mentioned all have had success during given years. I know it's early, but the A10 currently has 8 teams under 100, with a strong Temple team at the top at #13, and the conference sitting at #5.

I'm not saying they will end the season #5, but the conference is stronger this season than it has been the past few.

Being a UC football fan, you should understand how frustrating it is to constantly hear your team and conference getting unfairly disrespected.

My last post on this subject as I don't want to derail the thread.

http://www.realtimerpi.com/rpi_atl10_Men.html

dabvu2498
12-13-2009, 02:20 PM
Not yet.

The Big East is the best conference ever and your lousy school would never win a single game if they played our schedule!!

Where would 08-09 Xavier have finished in the Big East? :D

paintmered
12-13-2009, 02:23 PM
Where would 08-09 Xavier have finished in the Big East? :D

In a year where the Big East had three #1 seeds in the NCAA tournament and half of the Elite 8 teams, I think Xavier would have finished around fourth and been a #2 seed. They were a darn good team last season.

Redlegs212
12-13-2009, 03:39 PM
I'm a big UC fan, but this prediction is not biased at all... UC 74 - XU 61

BearcatShane
12-13-2009, 03:43 PM

There is the Big East.... and everyone else. The A-10 has a couple decent teams in Xavier and Dayton though.

Boston Red
12-13-2009, 05:25 PM
UC should win.

Get yourself to Vegas, because the betting public disagrees (and so do I).

Xavier is going to be a different team at home than you've seen in their losses to date.

Boston Red
12-13-2009, 05:26 PM
There is the Big East.... and everyone else. The A-10 has a couple decent teams in Xavier and Dayton though.

As Mick Cronin would probably say, are you telling me that LeMoyne wouldn't win the A-10?!?

GIDP
12-13-2009, 05:30 PM

I'm wearing by Big East hat right now. YEAH!

No its not that we cheer for the Big East. The A-10 just isnt that good outside of Xavier and Dayton. Its how C-USA used to be carried by Cincy year in and year out.

GIDP
12-13-2009, 05:32 PM
Not yet.

:laugh:

Boston Red
12-13-2009, 06:52 PM
Hopefully Temple over Villanova is a trend that continues this evening at Cintas (I'm going to ignore Fordham/St. John's as I wish I could ignore the fact that Fordham is in the A-10).

guttle11
12-13-2009, 07:13 PM

I would never deny that the A10 has some clunker programs, and generally the bottom 4 in a given year are weak, I just don't like the "It's not the Big East so it's terrible" attitude of many fans, not just people in this thread.

The A10 can play. Along with the Mountain West and sometimes the Missouri Valley, it's usually pretty much equal to the worst "big six" conference in a given year. For example, this year I'd rank both ahead of the PAC 10 and not think twice about it.

If Xavier gets a couple nice wins from what they have left OOC and Richmond, Temple, and Dayton all win 11 A10 games or so, the league could potentially get 4 bids this year. And that's not taking very good teams like Charlotte and Duquesne into account. Duquesne will be extremely tough when their best player returns late this month.

paintmered
12-13-2009, 07:39 PM
With a half hour before tip, let's have some predictions. I think this is a fairly low-scoring game separated by no more than five points. If UC comes out like they did against Miami, they get blown out of the gym.

Thugs of Clifton: 64, Uppity Jesuits of Avondale: 61.

gilpdawg
12-13-2009, 09:07 PM
31-26 X at the half. X went 7 minutes without scoring from the 14-7 minute marks, or it could be worse.

dabvu2498
12-13-2009, 09:12 PM
Hopefully Temple over Villanova is a trend that continues this evening at Cintas (I'm going to ignore Fordham/St. John's as I wish I could ignore the fact that Fordham is in the A-10). I saw Temple live and in the flesh on Tuessday in Oxford. They aren't bad. They dusted Miami. Of course, Miami isn't good. By the way, the trend started with Charlotte over Louisville. Of course, Louisville isn't so good either (Western Carolina).

paintmered
12-13-2009, 10:14 PM
Well, half of my prediction came true. Headed to overtime tied at 61. It has been a great game.

DTCromer
12-13-2009, 10:46 PM
No matter what happens, UC doesn't deserve to win. They've blown so many opportunities.

DTCromer
12-13-2009, 10:50 PM
It must be nice for Xavier to consistently win these games by having 1 player who has no business taking over games doing exactly that.

Kevin Frey can DIAF

paintmered
12-13-2009, 10:57 PM
Heck of a game. UC's lack of finishing and free throw shooting cost them at the end. If UC has better shot selection, this game doesn't even see the first overtime and the free throws (also a problem) aren't an issue tonight.

paintmered
12-13-2009, 11:02 PM
Kevin Frey can DIAF

That kind of talk needs to stop. Way over the line.

DTCromer
12-13-2009, 11:26 PM
That kind of talk needs to stop. Way over the line.

Huh? It's obviously a sarcastic comment.

paintmered
12-13-2009, 11:41 PM
Huh? It's obviously a sarcastic comment.

Of course it was, and it was still over the line.

jimbo
12-14-2009, 01:09 AM
Good win for the A10.

Matt700wlw
12-14-2009, 02:56 AM
UC teams always seem to struggle at the line...this goes back to the Huggins days. It's not the first time it's bit them in the rear end either.

Their inconsistencies from 3 point range don't help, either...

Heck of game, though, wrong outcome.... an appropriate ending to what turned out to be a frustrating sports day for my teams.

Boston Red
12-14-2009, 03:18 AM
Good win for the A10.

No. Good win for Xavier.

DTCromer
12-14-2009, 07:44 AM
No. Good win for Xavier.

Exactly. Conference pride is stupid. Big East fans need to settle down in that regard.

jimbo
12-14-2009, 11:17 AM
Conference pride has nothing to do with it, I'm being 100% selfish by saying what I did. I'm a UD fan, so I have an utter hatred for xavier. But I want all A10 teams to do well out of conference because ultimately it helps our SOS.

So it is a good win for the A10.

redsfan1966
12-14-2009, 07:33 PM
Epic battle....my only regret is I didnt come down to see it live....Stephenson and Halloway were battlers.....that game was the epitome of rivalry.....great game.

By the way, ESPN Classic is airing it again tonite (12/14) at 10 for those who didnt see it live...

Boston Red
12-16-2009, 10:03 PM
UC with the post-Shootout hangover tonight. That's why it's best this game not be played during the conference season anymore.