PDA

View Full Version : Marshall hires Doc Holliday

WVRed
12-17-2009, 02:50 PM
I'm far from a WVU fan, but on top of a former player passing away today, this one has to hurt. I think most Mountaineer fans would have rather seen Bill Stewart leave for Huntington rather than Holliday, and there could be some assistants packing as well. I consider Marshall my second team in college football, so I am really happy with this hire.

http://rivals.yahoo.com/ncaa/football/news?slug=ap-marshall-holliday&prov=ap&type=lgns

HUNTINGTON, W.Va. (AP)óMarshall athletic director Mike Hamrick says West Virginia assistant John ďDocĒ Holliday has signed a five-year contract to coach the Thundering Herd.

Hamrick says Holliday will be paid $600,000 per season. The school has scheduled a news conference for 2 p.m. Thursday to introduce Holliday.

Holliday replaces Mark Snyder, who resigned Nov. 29 after going 22-37 in five seasons.

Itís the first head coaching job for the 52-year-old Holliday after three decades as an assistant, most of them with the Mountaineers. He has the task of restoring respectability to a program that hasnít had a winning season since 2003.

Defensive coordinator Rick Minter will coach Marshall (6-6) in the Little Caesarís Pizza Bowl in Detroit on Dec. 26.

Boston Red
12-17-2009, 02:56 PM
Seems like a good hire for Marshall. I'd love to see them get back to where they were before Pruett retired.

Just noted the part about Rick Minter. UC's coaches and former coaches are all over the news these days.

Reds4Life
12-17-2009, 02:57 PM
I don't know why WVU fans hate Stew so much. It's not like he's been horrible, he's 19-7 in three years there, that is a 73% winning %.

As a UC fan, we sure know how it feels to be lied to now, just like RichRod did, but it seems like a lot of the hate for Stewart is simply because he isn't RichRod.

GIDP
12-17-2009, 02:58 PM
I thought he died way back when from tuberculous

WVRed
12-17-2009, 03:49 PM
I don't know why WVU fans hate Stew so much. It's not like he's been horrible, he's 19-7 in three years there, that is a 73% winning %.

As a UC fan, we sure know how it feels to be lied to now, just like RichRod did, but it seems like a lot of the hate for Stewart is simply because he isn't RichRod.

I've always made the comparison of Bill Stewart to Tubby Smith at Kentucky. Followed a coach that the fans absolutely loved, did a good job with what he had, but never lived up to expectations. When you were going to BCS bowls with Rich Rodriguez and playing in the Fiesta and Sugar Bowl and are having to settle for the Meineke Car Care Bowl and the Gator Bowl under Stewart, people start to notice. A 73% winning percentage is nice, but if you aren't making final fours or BCS bowl games, fans get frustrated.

Also doesn't help that most fans thought WVU jumped the gun in hiring Stewart just based on the bowl win against Oklahoma. Most fans wanted either Doc Holliday or Terry Bowden.

Slyder
12-17-2009, 03:50 PM

Watch the way the team plays. We play down to the competition (more on this later). The offense has been offensive since Rich left. The guy Stew hired to be OC was at a school that was near bottom of NCAA D1 when he was OC there (Wake Forest), they make just shear STUPID mistakes over and over and over again, we see something working and go away from it (our RBs during the UC game for example).

Now down to the earlier point "we play down to our competition".

Liberty yes they arent your usual cupcake D2 team winning the big south. But a BCS team to win only by 13? We got up 23-10 and sat on it.

Marshall= They dominated for most of the first 3 quarters before running out of gas, if not for the fact they run out of gas we likely lose that game.

UConn= With everything that happened to them that previous week it shouldnt take a 56 yd miracle to win a game. We let them hang around.

Louisville= Without our defense line being absolutely dominating we I guarentee LOSE this game. They are a 4-8 team that throttled our o.

Auburn= Jarrett Brown has his worst game of the year and Noel Devine runs for 128 yds on only 15 carries... 4th quarter 12 minutes to go and he throws 4 INTs there was still plenty of time that we didnt have to abandon the run.

Special Teams was given a whole new meaning. CONSTANTLY pinning our defense in a corner giving the opposing offense great starting position. I would turn the game off on any sort of kickoff by WVU out of thought for my blood pressure.

Stewart cannot be questioned by anyone about anything, he is out of his element, he is over his head, and he has had great recruiters and athletes who have been able to win inspite of him and the offense coaches. If that defensive staff losses much more in the way of coaches then that buffer will be gone.

First it is Doc, rumors are there that Castillo could be on his way to Florida State to join up with a former WVU assistant Jimbo Fischer. I may not be a fan of the 3-3-5 but that defense is the ONLY reason we made it to the Gator Bowl, with the team we have we should not have to rely on nailbiters to beat Louisville, Marshall, and UConn's of the world. We shouldnt have to speak of moral victories or we should have won 17-16 and we got screwed in games such as Cincy, we shouldnt have to hear about "golly gee darn that Pauxatony School for the Blind are this great team that we will be lucky to squeak out any victory against." We (WVU fans) have seen this song and dance before it was the last decade of the Don Nehlen era the only difference is Stu uses the shotgun rather than the I formation.

And I for one have tasted what its like to be like Ohio State, like Michigan, like Florida and I want more. I dont want to go back to being lucky to win 9 games and feasting on MAC cupcakes. Stu with time will be no different than Nehlen eventually the great recruits will dry up and he will be exposed as the emperor without any clothes on.

WVRed
12-17-2009, 03:57 PM
Watch the way the team plays. We play down to the competition (more on this later). The offense has been offensive since Rich left. The guy Stew hired to be OC was at a school that was near bottom of NCAA D1 when he was OC there (Wake Forest), they make just shear STUPID mistakes over and over and over again, we see something working and go away from it (our RBs during the UC game for example).

Now down to the earlier point "we play down to our competition".

Liberty yes they arent your usual cupcake D2 team winning the big south. But a BCS team to win only by 13? We got up 23-10 and sat on it.

Marshall= They dominated for most of the first 3 quarters before running out of gas, if not for the fact they run out of gas we likely lose that game.

UConn= With everything that happened to them that previous week it shouldnt take a 56 yd miracle to win a game. We let them hang around.

Louisville= Without our defense line being absolutely dominating we I guarentee LOSE this game. They are a 4-8 team that throttled our o.

Auburn= Jarrett Brown has his worst game of the year and Noel Devine runs for 128 yds on only 15 carries... 4th quarter 12 minutes to go and he throws 4 INTs there was still plenty of time that we didnt have to abandon the run.

Special Teams was given a whole new meaning. CONSTANTLY pinning our defense in a corner giving the opposing offense great starting position. I would turn the game off on any sort of kickoff by WVU out of thought for my blood pressure.

Stewart cannot be questioned by anyone about anything, he is out of his element, he is over his head, and he has had great recruiters and athletes who have been able to win inspite of him and the offense coaches. If that defensive staff losses much more in the way of coaches then that buffer will be gone.

First it is Doc, rumors are there that Castillo could be on his way to Florida State to join up with a former WVU assistant Jimbo Fischer. I may not be a fan of the 3-3-5 but that defense is the ONLY reason we made it to the Gator Bowl, with the team we have we should not have to rely on nailbiters to beat Louisville, Marshall, and UConn's of the world. We shouldnt have to speak of moral victories or we should have won 17-16 and we got screwed in games such as Cincy, we shouldnt have to hear about "golly gee darn that Pauxatony School for the Blind are this great team that we will be lucky to squeak out any victory against." We (WVU fans) have seen this song and dance before it was the last decade of the Don Nehlen era the only difference is Stu uses the shotgun rather than the I formation.

And I for one have tasted what its like to be like Ohio State, like Michigan, like Florida and I want more. I dont want to go back to being lucky to win 9 games and feasting on MAC cupcakes. Stu with time will be no different than Nehlen eventually the great recruits will dry up and he will be exposed as the emperor without any clothes on.

I just replied before you did but this completely sums up why people are down on Stewart. WVU has been in decline since Rodriguez left. People here want to point and laugh at Rod in Michigan, but they haven't exactly picked up where they left off.

Slyder
12-17-2009, 04:28 PM
I just replied before you did but this completely sums up why people are down on Stewart. WVU has been in decline since Rodriguez left. People here want to point and laugh at Rod in Michigan, but they haven't exactly picked up where they left off.

I'm not saying I would take Rich back after the way he left. But we need a legitimate division 1 football coach not a guy who will be the puppet like Nehlen was in his later years. The big difference between WVU and Michigan... support. He always had the unquestioned support of the administration and boosters at WVU irregardless until the very end, remember he went 3-8 his first year with a loss to F'ing Temple!1!1!

The administration let him bring in "his guys", let the players go who didnt feel they fit RR system, etc. He never had that at Michigan and opposing coaches have used that against him. Granted he made a lot of his own problems with the way he tried to weasel out of the buyout and the burned bridges as he left town.

And honestly I would rather bring Nehlen back than go another season with Stu.

Hoosier Red
12-17-2009, 04:59 PM
word is "he'll be their huckleberry."

Boston Red
12-17-2009, 05:14 PM
I feel awful for those poor WV fans who had to "endure" the 9-3 season that was a 3-point loss against the #3 team in the country away from ending in a BCS bowl. I'm not sure how you guys are getting by.

Slyder
12-17-2009, 05:19 PM
I feel awful for those poor WV fans who had to "endure" the 9-3 season that was a 3-point loss against the #3 team in the country away from ending in a BCS bowl. I'm not sure how you guys are getting by.

Watch the games and you'll see why were lucky to only be 9-3.

Boston Red
12-17-2009, 05:39 PM
As a Louisville fan, I can tell you that I have no sympathy for fans from the No. 16 team in the country and their "problem" coaches.

reds1869
12-17-2009, 08:27 PM
I'm a Herd fan who is thrilled with the hire. A lot of my fellow alums are upset because he is blue and gold through and through, but I couldn't care less. Doc is a great coach and an even better recruiter. He will turn things around in Huntington quickly...his players will run through brick walls for him.

That, and he is bringing Beatty and Dunlap with him. :D

WVRed
12-17-2009, 11:53 PM
I'm a Herd fan who is thrilled with the hire. A lot of my fellow alums are upset because he is blue and gold through and through, but I couldn't care less. Doc is a great coach and an even better recruiter. He will turn things around in Huntington quickly...his players will run through brick walls for him.

That, and he is bringing Beatty and Dunlap with him. :D

I see Holliday as a stepping stone coach. If Stewart is gone within the next three years and Marshall is thriving by that time, I wouldn't be surprised if he comes back to Morgantown.

People are saying Holliday is peeved because the WVU job went to Stewart and not him, but Holliday was at Florida and decided to come on board when Stewart was hired. That excuse holds as much merit as Rodriguez throwing the Pitt game.

Hope that is true about Beatty and Dunlap.

WVRed
12-18-2009, 12:02 AM
As a Louisville fan, I can tell you that I have no sympathy for fans from the No. 16 team in the country and their "problem" coaches.

Think about how Louisville fell after Steve Kragthorpe took over. I wouldn't say WVU's fall from grace is near as traumatic as Louisville's, but going to the Orange Bowl, losing your head coach, and then watching your team fade to mediocrity and ultimately crash. WVU isn't at that level yet but I think it ultimately will.

Boston Red
12-18-2009, 12:26 AM
Think about how Louisville fell after Steve Kragthorpe took over.

Well, that's the point. WV fans should count their blessings. While they are whining about being the 16th ranked team in the country, Steve Kragthorpe never had a winning season.

Slyder
12-18-2009, 05:00 AM
Think about how Louisville fell after Steve Kragthorpe took over. I wouldn't say WVU's fall from grace is near as traumatic as Louisville's, but going to the Orange Bowl, losing your head coach, and then watching your team fade to mediocrity and ultimately crash. WVU isn't at that level yet but I think it ultimately will.

The only difference in the two situations was that Stu was on the staff already so he already had a lot of relationships with the players which helped stem any layover. Thats why WVU isnt on the step trajectory that Louisville felt I think.

reds1869
12-18-2009, 06:34 AM
I see Holliday as a stepping stone coach. If Stewart is gone within the next three years and Marshall is thriving by that time, I wouldn't be surprised if he comes back to Morgantown.

There is a $3 million buyout clause in his contract, so it will be hard for WVU to lure him back if they want him.

Boss-Hog
12-18-2009, 09:23 AM
I wouldn't call 9-3 and the 16th ranked team "mediocrity". There's plenty of teams below you that'd gladly settle for that. :)

will5979
12-18-2009, 09:46 AM
I wouldn't call 9-3 and the 16th ranked team "mediocrity". There's plenty of teams below you that'd gladly settle for that. :)

When you were going 11-2 every year and on the doorstep of a MNC 9-3 with a Gator Bowl is mediocrity.

6-7 years ago 9 wins playing in the Big East was awesome! Miami was the top dog with WVU/VPI always placing runner up with an occasional title. Since the ACC invasion if WVU doesn't win the BE title every year West Virginians go berzerk! Trust me I know, I'm one of them. ;)

will5979
12-18-2009, 09:53 AM
I'm far from a WVU fan, but on top of a former player passing away today, this one has to hurt. I think most Mountaineer fans would have rather seen Bill Stewart leave for Huntington rather than Holliday, and there could be some assistants packing as well. I consider Marshall my second team in college football, so I am really happy with this hire.

http://rivals.yahoo.com/ncaa/football/news?slug=ap-marshall-holliday&prov=ap&type=lgns

I would have rather have Bill Stewart leave...what I would rather have more is that both A.D.s will put the ax to this stupid Friends of Coal Bowl Series.

Boston Red
12-18-2009, 10:50 AM
I don't understand that either. There are two Division I-A schools in one tiny state. And you don't think they should play each other?!? They should play each other in every sport.

And you are complaining this much about a fall from 11-2 to 10-3 (assuming a win over FSU)?!? Nuts.

Boss-Hog
12-18-2009, 11:07 AM
When you were going 11-2 every year and on the doorstep of a MNC 9-3 with a Gator Bowl is mediocrity.

I get that, but it's not really the definition of mediocrity; maybe it's "relative mediocrity". :)

reds1869
12-18-2009, 12:07 PM
I don't understand that either. There are two Division I-A schools in one tiny state. And you don't think they should play each other?!? They should play each other in every sport.

And you are complaining this much about a fall from 11-2 to 10-3 (assuming a win over FSU)?!? Nuts.

Now don't go talking all logical to the Mounties. They would rather pretend Marshall is "not a rival" and then proceed to verbally rip us to shreds at every opportunity. You should see some of the nasty stuff on their forums right now.

WVRed
12-18-2009, 01:16 PM
I would have rather have Bill Stewart leave...what I would rather have more is that both A.D.s will put the ax to this stupid Friends of Coal Bowl Series.

The Friends of Coal Bowl was a good idea when Marshall was actually good and WVU was in the final years of Don Nehlen. Then Bob Pruett decided to retire, Rich Rodriguez was hired at WVU, and both programs went in the opposite direction.

Now don't go talking all logical to the Mounties. They would rather pretend Marshall is "not a rival" and then proceed to verbally rip us to shreds at every opportunity. You should see some of the nasty stuff on their forums right now.

Ask anybody from Morgantown and Marshall backed out of playing a three game series after 1997. Ask anybody from Huntington and they will tell you those games were never scheduled.

reds1869
12-18-2009, 01:48 PM
Ask anybody from Morgantown and Marshall backed out of playing a three game series after 1997. Ask anybody from Huntington and they will tell you those games were never scheduled.

True enough. But I say there is no way there was ever a series scheduled. Marshall wanted it too badly to walk away. One way or another, the game needs to be played. And it is getting ready to be a whole lot more profitable if MU expands Edwards Stadium to 55,000 as planned.

will5979
12-18-2009, 01:48 PM

Marshall is not a rival. They never have been. The series has been lopsided and both play in completely different leagues on a different level. Its like a AAA high school powerhouse playing a A high school that has not yet fallen prey to consolidation.

Marshall to WVU is like an annoying little brother...sure you can whip them, but its just not the right thing to do, adn there is no need to flex your muscles. This series is bad BOTH programs, its a lose-lose situation.

Hoppy Kurchival said it best back in October when he said the "divorce" between the 2 schools needs to happen. What should be a Mexican fiesta has turned into a Mexican standoff. And lets get real, is a "rival" that never wins really a rival at all?

Also FWIW the only people in the state that seems to enjoy this game are people in Huntington and the 250 supporters that live just north of me in Logan.

reds1869
12-18-2009, 01:53 PM
Marshall is not a rival. They never have been. The series has been lopsided and both play in completely different leagues on a different level. Its like a AAA high school powerhouse playing a A high school that has not yet fallen prey to consolidation.

Marshall to WVU is like an annoying little brother...sure you can whip them, but its just not the right thing to do, adn there is no need to flex your muscles. This series is bad BOTH programs, its a lose-lose situation.

Hoppy Kurchival said it best back in October when he said the "divorce" between the 2 schools needs to happen. What should be a Mexican fiesta has turned into a Mexican standoff. And lets get real, is a "rival" that never wins really a rival at all?

Then I am sure you will agree that Penn State was never your rival? Get real. I was at plenty of WVU-PSU games and can assure you that there was a rivalry from both ends. Same goes for Army-Navy, and both of those are about as lopsided as can be. I suppose UC and Xavier are no longer rivals, either? XU and UD? There is more to rivalry than recent results.

will5979
12-18-2009, 01:55 PM
Then I am sure you will agree that Penn State was never your rival? Get real. I was at plenty of WVU-PSU games and can assure you that there was a rivalry from both ends. Same goes for Army-Navy, and both of those are about as lopsided as can be. I suppose UC and Xavier are no longer rivals, either? XU and UD? There is more to rivalry than recent results.

Here we go with the different levels of play...comparing WVU/Marshall to WVU/Penn St. is comparing apples/oranges. No one cares, like I said except people in Huntington and Logan.

Trust me, we have our rivals...

1. Pitt-obviously
2. Louisville-was good 05-07, not so great now.
3. VT-former but we still hate em.
4. Cuse-was great in the 90s, not so much now.
5. USF-not official yet but they are getting there, they are our Achillies Heel
6. Maryland-Series resumes next year
7. Penn St.-former

RANDY IN INDY
12-18-2009, 02:00 PM
Doesn't seem to bother you guys to schedule a plethora of MAC teams at the beginning of the season. What's the difference? The two should play. I remember back in the 70's when WVU was regularly getting their tails kicked. Remember Frank Cignetti? Penn State has owned WVU and I guarantee that the WVU people think it was more of a rivalry than anyone at Penn State. Fact is, Penn State/Pittsburgh was the rivalry. WVU was more a second thought.

will5979
12-18-2009, 02:09 PM
Doesn't seem to bother you guys to schedule a plethora of MAC teams at the beginning of the season. What's the difference? The two should play. I remember back in the 70's when WVU was regularly getting their tails kicked.

Born in 79, didn't start following college football till 1991. Baseball is my true passion, has been since I was lucky enough to see Pete Rose play in person in 1985. Obviously I don't remember ANYTHING about a rivalry with Penn St. so to be honest, I have never hated them cause we didn't play them the last 2 decades.

Not going to argue cause actually it does bother me. I hate the exhibition game teams have at the beginning of each year, bring in an AA school, beat em up, give them a check. I never have liked it. If we must have a tune up game every year then we could use Marshall for that. I really wouldn't care if Marshall was on our schedule for our tune up game, but they are one of our OOC teams AFTER the AA school that we play.

We have 5 OOC games every year and to be honest I would rather have a Big Ten school on our schedule to go with our SEC, ACC, and CUSA opponents. I know that next year it will be an AA school, LSU, Maryland, MArshall, and UNLV.

reds1869
12-18-2009, 03:03 PM
Here's the thing: Marshall fills your stadium. We are a guaranteed draw...no one else can say that. For goodness sake, you couldn't even fill the stands against Pitt! Same goes for you guys coming to Huntington. You are a 100% lock-down sell-out.

If you think that Marshall would be replaced with a better opponent, you are wrong. It would be Eastern Michigan, Louisiana-Monroe, etc. And none of those teams would be nearly as big a ticket seller for you as Marshall. To me, that suggests that people in the WVU fan base might just care a tad more than they admit.

will5979
12-18-2009, 03:06 PM
To me, that suggests that people in the WVU fan base might just care a tad more than they admit.

I thought that next you were going to qoute Booby Pruett that we are skeeret!

Did you hear about those guys a few years back that bought season tickets to Marshla just to get the WVU tickets and they burned the rest? If I do that next year I'm selling the rest. You want to buy them?

RANDY IN INDY
12-18-2009, 03:35 PM
The WVU/Marshall game fills the stands at both stadiums and is a great thing for the state, one that is in need of anything positive and good for its residents. Being from there, and having lived there for 30 years before moving, I can't see any negatives to playing the game each season. No doubt that the mounties have dominated, but the games have been pretty good and exciting. Having two strong football programs should be the goal for the state and moving forward, that could very well happen again. There will be ups and downs for both programs, but I just can't see any negatives.

Slyder
12-18-2009, 04:36 PM

We are 16th in the rankings because we draw ESPN ratings and bring in revenue $$$.

Slyder
12-18-2009, 04:38 PM
I thought that next you were going to qoute Booby Pruett that we are skeeret!

Did you hear about those guys a few years back that bought season tickets to Marshla just to get the WVU tickets and they burned the rest? If I do that next year I'm selling the rest. You want to buy them?

Speak of the devil. On the scout board I read theres a rumor going around that Coach Stew in all his wisdom has called of all people... Bobby Pruett about an assistant coach/recruiting position at WVU. Just a rumor no real specifics.

Honestly I really couldnt care whether we played or didnt play Marshall, because regardless that would like be some cupcake team that we'll struggle to kill. So might as well at least get some money moving in the state economy.

Although its a dumb idea to have any games more than maybe a 2 for 1 at Marshall with half the capacity.

Boston Red
12-18-2009, 04:51 PM
We are 16th in the rankings because we draw ESPN ratings and bring in revenue $$$.

Wow, what's amazing is that you probably actually believe this. How do you think ESPN massaged all those BCS computer rankings to get WV ranked so high? That's some pretty impressive stuff.

will5979
12-18-2009, 11:38 PM
Wow, what's amazing is that you probably actually believe this. How do you think ESPN massaged all those BCS computer rankings to get WV ranked so high? That's some pretty impressive stuff.

Well, regardless of the end of the season we had the Gator Bowl no matter what...granted we did legitimately earned the bid but since our fans travel so well and J-Ville needed money...well, politics at its finest. Weird that it works in the world of college football as well. Speaking of which that is the only reason FSU is there. no way should they have received that bid OVER Miami or VT.

WVRed
12-18-2009, 11:54 PM

Also FWIW the only people in the state that seems to enjoy this game are people in Huntington and the 250 supporters that live just north of me in Logan.

A couple of things:

1. I currently live in Parkersburg but I have lived in Kentucky across the river from Huntington. WVU's fanbase really does not start until you get into Charleston, and you could make a case that it is divided. Everybody further down south either pulls for Marshall or UK. Charleston, Parkersburg, Clarksburg/Bridgeport, and Beckley are your real WVU pulls. You won't find very many WVU fans south of Charleston heading down 64.

2. Marshall will always be looked at by WVU fans as "Little Brother U" until Marshall ends up doing the unthinkable and beating them. When that day happens, half of the population in West Virginia will commit Harry Caray, and I believe a rivalry will be born. It took Louisville doing that in the NCAA tournament for the rivalry to be born with Kentucky, im just waiting for Marshall to do the same.

WVRed
12-19-2009, 12:03 AM
Here we go with the different levels of play...comparing WVU/Marshall to WVU/Penn St. is comparing apples/oranges. No one cares, like I said except people in Huntington and Logan.

Trust me, we have our rivals...

1. Pitt-obviously
2. Louisville-was good 05-07, not so great now.
3. VT-former but we still hate em.
4. Cuse-was great in the 90s, not so much now.
5. USF-not official yet but they are getting there, they are our Achillies Heel
6. Maryland-Series resumes next year
7. Penn St.-former

Of those teams listed, Pitt and Maryland are the closest teams you have to a rival. If Pitt ends up leaving for the Big Tweleven as rumored, that rivalry could deteriorate just like the Va Tech rivalry did.

By that same logic, anybody in the Big East could be considered a "rival".

reds1869
12-19-2009, 08:50 AM
A couple of things:

1. I currently live in Parkersburg but I have lived in Kentucky across the river from Huntington. WVU's fanbase really does not start until you get into Charleston, and you could make a case that it is divided. Everybody further down south either pulls for Marshall or UK. Charleston, Parkersburg, Clarksburg/Bridgeport, and Beckley are your real WVU pulls. You won't find very many WVU fans south of Charleston heading down 64.

2. Marshall will always be looked at by WVU fans as "Little Brother U" until Marshall ends up doing the unthinkable and beating them. When that day happens, half of the population in West Virginia will commit Harry Caray, and I believe a rivalry will be born. It took Louisville doing that in the NCAA tournament for the rivalry to be born with Kentucky, im just waiting for Marshall to do the same.

1. I grew up in Parkersburg but lived in huntington for a while. Your assessment of fan bases is pretty accurate, though only if you are talking the western counties. When you go east UK is replaced by VT and UVA, and WVU has a much stronger presence.

2. So basketball counts for Kentucky schools but not WV ones? Are you forgetting 2006, when a terrible Marshall team knocked off #9 WVU?

will5979
12-19-2009, 11:00 AM
2. So basketball counts for Kentucky schools but not WV ones? Are you forgetting 2006, when a terrible Marshall team knocked off #9 WVU?

Depends on your opinion of basketball...

I like what Ty Cobb said about basketball, bunch of fruits running around in underwear! Obviously I hate that sport.

WVRed
12-20-2009, 12:34 AM

I do remember that, actually. The Capital Classic in Charleston.

Sad thing is, while WVU is doing good in basketball right now, the fanbase really isn't as strong. People in West Virginia are football crazy and if Marshall would ever win people in Morgantown wouldn't know how to cope.

It should be a point that WVU will play Marshall in everything else but football.

reds1869
12-20-2009, 08:51 AM
Sad thing is, while WVU is doing good in basketball right now, the fanbase really isn't as strong. People in West Virginia are football crazy and if Marshall would ever win people in Morgantown wouldn't know how to cope.

Good point. I was talking to my parents last night, both of whom live in Parkersburg and are huge WVU fans. Neither of them seemed aware that WV is ranked 6th in the nation.

will5979
12-22-2009, 10:29 AM
Good point. I was talking to my parents last night, both of whom live in Parkersburg and are huge WVU fans. Neither of them seemed aware that WV is ranked 6th in the nation.

Known fact, WVU is a football school, basketball to most is well, basketball.

I grew up a WVU fan and I am a WVU grad...M.A. 2003.

And I honestly CAN'T tell you the BBall team's record or rankings. The only time I've ever enjoyed BBall is when WVU beat Texas Tech to advance to the Elite Eight and Mo-Town signaled the Russian space station MIR with couch burnings across the city!

But like I said before, I'm not a basketball fan...to me it is the most boring sport to follow, JMO.

RANDY IN INDY
12-23-2009, 04:52 PM
They do like to set couches on fire in Morgantown, don't they? :lol:

reds1869
12-23-2009, 06:27 PM

Here is a picture of their new helmet.

http://i282.photobucket.com/albums/kk273/reds1869/Images/MorganholeU.jpg

will5979
12-23-2009, 11:44 PM

:lol: Morgantown, Where Greatness is Learned and Couches Are Burned!!!

RANDY IN INDY
12-24-2009, 05:20 PM
Here is a picture of their new helmet.

http://i282.photobucket.com/albums/kk273/reds1869/Images/MorganholeU.jpg

:laugh::laugh::laugh:

Homer Bailey
02-24-2010, 07:03 PM
Here's the thing: Marshall fills your stadium. We are a guaranteed draw...no one else can say that. For goodness sake, you couldn't even fill the stands against Pitt! Same goes for you guys coming to Huntington. You are a 100% lock-down sell-out.

If you think that Marshall would be replaced with a better opponent, you are wrong. It would be Eastern Michigan, Louisiana-Monroe, etc. And none of those teams would be nearly as big a ticket seller for you as Marshall. To me, that suggests that people in the WVU fan base might just care a tad more than they admit.

I know I'm late to the party here, but I can't let this one slide (die hard WVU fan here).

We don't need a "draw." We sell out all of our games. The student section was partially empty for the Pitt game due to it being Thanksgiving break. Let's not act like WVU has any problems selling tickets.

The WVU/Marshall game fills the stands at both stadiums and is a great thing for the state, one that is in need of anything positive and good for its residents. Being from there, and having lived there for 30 years before moving, I can't see any negatives to playing the game each season. No doubt that the mounties have dominated, but the games have been pretty good and exciting. Having two strong football programs should be the goal for the state and moving forward, that could very well happen again. There will be ups and downs for both programs, but I just can't see any negatives.

The game is great for Marshall because they get a big paycheck, get to play in a real stadium, and get a chance to knock off THEIR rival. For WVU, it's a lose-lose. The win doesn't help their SOS, and they have to play a team that is very excited to even be there. Nothing to gain for WVU, everything to gain for MU.

WVRed
02-24-2010, 08:10 PM
The game is great for Marshall because they get a big paycheck, get to play in a real stadium, and get a chance to knock off THEIR rival. For WVU, it's a lose-lose. The win doesn't help their SOS, and they have to play a team that is very excited to even be there. Nothing to gain for WVU, everything to gain for MU.

That's all fine well and good, but let me ask a question to all WVU fans on this board.

IF Marshall ever beats WVU in football, whether it be in Morgantown or Huntington, and it served as a possible black eye for a good bowl bid, would it then be considered a rivalry?

If I were a WVU fan I would be concerned with Marshall hiring Holliday. He may or may not make the impact at Marshall that Donnan/Pruett did, but losing your ace recruiter as well as possible other coaching defects to join him in Huntington (as discussed in this thread) could unmask the ineffectiveness that is Bill Stewart.

FWIW, after the whole incident at the WVU-Pitt game in basketball with the fans, I can honestly say I have moved into the "hate WVU" crowd.

Homer Bailey
02-24-2010, 08:51 PM
That's all fine well and good, but let me ask a question to all WVU fans on this board.

IF Marshall ever beats WVU in football, whether it be in Morgantown or Huntington, and it served as a possible black eye for a good bowl bid, would it then be considered a rivalry?

If I were a WVU fan I would be concerned with Marshall hiring Holliday. He may or may not make the impact at Marshall that Donnan/Pruett did, but losing your ace recruiter as well as possible other coaching defects to join him in Huntington (as discussed in this thread) could unmask the ineffectiveness that is Bill Stewart.

FWIW, after the whole incident at the WVU-Pitt game in basketball with the fans, I can honestly say I have moved into the "hate WVU" crowd.

No, it still won't be a rivalry. It would be one fluke victory. Marshall has NEVER beaten WVU. Only time it was even close was in 1911. It's been flat out domination almost everytime the two teams have played. It's just not going to happen.

WVU recruiting will be fine. People act like we lost some long time recruiting coordinator. He was here two years. We managed to get arguably our best recruiting class ever this year even after he left. There's a reason he's never been a head coach before after 27 something years in football. I don't see it working out well in Huntington.

The ineffectiveness that is Bill Stewart is going to be displayed regardless of whether or not DH is at WVU. BS is still recruiting well, so hopefully that will cover up for his lack of coaching ability and poor offensive coordinator.

The Pitt bball game incident was just embarrassing, but I honestly don't get why it was such a big deal. It has happened many many times before at other places, and multiple times AFTER this incident as well. The only time it made headlines? That's right, when WVU did it. Hell, Pitt fans used to throw raw fish on the floor after bad calls. It was only a big deal because WVU is ranked in the top 10. In no way am I excusing the behavior, but its not reflective of the entire fan base. Yes, we absolutely have a huge share of idiots, and it sucks that they have to spoil the fun for everyone else.

reds1869
02-24-2010, 09:10 PM
I know I'm late to the party here, but I can't let this one slide (die hard WVU fan here).

We don't need a "draw." We sell out all of our games. The student section was partially empty for the Pitt game due to it being Thanksgiving break. Let's not act like WVU has any problems selling tickets.

I have no response, except to say: God, do I hate WVU. It grows stronger every day I live out of WV, and increases ten fold every time I visit my hometown. I liked WVU until the mid 90s. Since then the arrogance of your fan base has driven me to total disdain for the EEUN.

WVRed
02-24-2010, 10:01 PM
No, it still won't be a rivalry. It would be one fluke victory. Marshall has NEVER beaten WVU. Only time it was even close was in 1911. It's been flat out domination almost everytime the two teams have played. It's just not going to happen.

WVU recruiting will be fine. People act like we lost some long time recruiting coordinator. He was here two years. We managed to get arguably our best recruiting class ever this year even after he left. There's a reason he's never been a head coach before after 27 something years in football. I don't see it working out well in Huntington.

The ineffectiveness that is Bill Stewart is going to be displayed regardless of whether or not DH is at WVU. BS is still recruiting well, so hopefully that will cover up for his lack of coaching ability and poor offensive coordinator.

The Pitt bball game incident was just embarrassing, but I honestly don't get why it was such a big deal. It has happened many many times before at other places, and multiple times AFTER this incident as well. The only time it made headlines? That's right, when WVU did it. Hell, Pitt fans used to throw raw fish on the floor after bad calls. It was only a big deal because WVU is ranked in the top 10. In no way am I excusing the behavior, but its not reflective of the entire fan base. Yes, we absolutely have a huge share of idiots, and it sucks that they have to spoil the fun for everyone else.

The game played during the 1990's was pretty close. WVU jumped out to a big lead and Marshall cut it to 3 before WVU won 42-31. That was when I was in favor of seeing a WVU-Marshall series. WVU was respectable and Marshall was hitting their peak.

Then Rodriguez took over at WVU and Pruett retired from Marshall. Manchin was elected and decided to get involved and get the schools to play. One team on the rise and another's inevitable collapse really didn't make for a good bowl series.

My point is this, there are TWO schools in West Virginia at the D-1 level. May not play in the same conference, but it would do more to unite the state and play the game rather than see the divide from Charleston north and south. I don't see how scheduling Marshall is worse than scheduling Liberty, Eastern Washington, Western Michigan, or even Mississippi State.

I didn't say that recruiting would suffer because Holliday left, but that Holliday could take certain WVU assistants with him and leave Stewart high and dry. If that were to happen, eventually the recruiting ability gets hampered especially if WVU doesn't turn out a lot of pro's.

I do agree on one point. When you are a recruiting coordinator, you are trying to sell recruits on playing for your boss. When you have Urban Meyer and even taking those connections with you to WVU (most of WVU's talent comes from the Sunshine state or the south). Now Holliday is trying to sell people on playing for him. It completely changes everything, especially if he doesn't have a niche he can sell.

I'd compare it with Josh Pastner at Memphis, an excellent recruiter who had bosses in Cal and Olson he could sell recruits on playing for, but Pastner can recruit the Memphis area for talent. Going to be hard to win if most of your recruits come from the Mountain State.

As for the Pitt game, there was an article on ESPN a couple days prior highlighting WVU's fans. Profanities escaping the sensors on ESPN from the student section and the Karen Sypher chants when they played Louisville (By comparison, this did not happen in Lexington, where we have a rivalry with our in-state competition :)). I would say this was the climax after other bad behavior leading up to the Pitt game.

And I do realize its happened other places. Mississippi State fans threw water bottles at the refs and Cal after we pretty much ended their season last week. I'm waiting for a game (doesn't matter who), where the fans end up costing their team a game with their behavior. It needs to happen soon, otherwise there will be copycat offenders.

reds1869
02-25-2010, 09:00 AM
The game played during the 1990's was pretty close. WVU jumped out to a big lead and Marshall cut it to 3 before WVU won 42-31.

Cut it to three? We took the lead 31-28, son. Quietest I've ever heard Mountaineer Field. Gotta get your history straight. And I've gotta brag where I can in this sadly lopsided series. :)

WVRed
02-25-2010, 10:33 AM
Cut it to three? We took the lead 31-28, son. Quietest I've ever heard Mountaineer Field. Gotta get your history straight. And I've gotta brag where I can in this sadly lopsided series. :)

I stand corrected. :)

The last two WVU-Marshall games also were pretty close until the second half and the Herd would always run out of gas.

joshnky
02-25-2010, 12:36 PM

I know other Louisville fans that travel to road games (particularly football) and they all claim WVU has the nastiest fan base they've seen. Honestly, I couldn't care less about WVU or their program but the reason it made headlines is because West Virginia has that reputation, deservedly.

The UK-UofL rivalry is intense but outside of a few fights that inevitably occur at football games, the fans stay fairly civil.

Boston Red
02-25-2010, 12:45 PM
I went for the WV/Louisville game in '05. Very strange. 95% of their fans were the nicest fans you'd ever want to meet. And it's funny, because they couldn't stop apologizing for the other 5%. Even before we had "experienced" that other 5%. And those other 5% earned their reputation in spades. Nasty, nasty people.

joshnky
02-25-2010, 02:48 PM
I went for the WV/Louisville game in '05. Very strange. 95% of their fans were the nicest fans you'd ever want to meet. And it's funny, because they couldn't stop apologizing for the other 5%. Even before we had "experienced" that other 5%. And those other 5% earned their reputation in spades. Nasty, nasty people.

Good point. As is usually the case, its a slim minority that causes the problems. I'm not sure why but that slim minority at WVU is exceptionally bad.

Homer Bailey
02-25-2010, 04:33 PM

This.

It's so frustrating. I went to the Auburn/WVU game this year in Alabama, and was in a mixed section between WVU and Auburn fans. Very enjoyable group of people, except for ONE guy that just acted like a complete jackass the entire time. It was honestly embarrassing.

The students are obviously the problem at WVU. Yes, there were degrading chants in the games leading up to Pitt game. No, that behavior is not excuseable. However, it does happen in other places as well, but it only made news because the president decided to use the media to try to stop the problem. Then ESPN got wind of the president trying to control the students, and it only made things worse. The students saw what kind of attention they were drawing, and they upped their effort.

I'm well aware that there are many, many people out there that hate WVU, and to be honest, I can't blame any of you. With the success we've had lately, combined with the ridiculous behavior of too many of our fans can cause some strong opposition. I really don't know what to say. I wish things were different, and we had more class as a whole, but there are just too many idiot WVU fans.

Homer Bailey
02-25-2010, 04:46 PM
I have no response, except to say: God, do I hate WVU. It grows stronger every day I live out of WV, and increases ten fold every time I visit my hometown. I liked WVU until the mid 90s. Since then the arrogance of your fan base has driven me to total disdain for the EEUN.

Can't blame you. I don't even like our fanbase for the most part. But I was born a WVU fan and I will always be one.

The game played during the 1990's was pretty close. WVU jumped out to a big lead and Marshall cut it to 3 before WVU won 42-31. That was when I was in favor of seeing a WVU-Marshall series. WVU was respectable and Marshall was hitting their peak.

Then Rodriguez took over at WVU and Pruett retired from Marshall. Manchin was elected and decided to get involved and get the schools to play. One team on the rise and another's inevitable collapse really didn't make for a good bowl series.

My point is this, there are TWO schools in West Virginia at the D-1 level. May not play in the same conference, but it would do more to unite the state and play the game rather than see the divide from Charleston north and south. I don't see how scheduling Marshall is worse than scheduling Liberty, Eastern Washington, Western Michigan, or even Mississippi State.

I didn't say that recruiting would suffer because Holliday left, but that Holliday could take certain WVU assistants with him and leave Stewart high and dry. If that were to happen, eventually the recruiting ability gets hampered especially if WVU doesn't turn out a lot of pro's.

I do agree on one point. When you are a recruiting coordinator, you are trying to sell recruits on playing for your boss. When you have Urban Meyer and even taking those connections with you to WVU (most of WVU's talent comes from the Sunshine state or the south). Now Holliday is trying to sell people on playing for him. It completely changes everything, especially if he doesn't have a niche he can sell.

I'd compare it with Josh Pastner at Memphis, an excellent recruiter who had bosses in Cal and Olson he could sell recruits on playing for, but Pastner can recruit the Memphis area for talent. Going to be hard to win if most of your recruits come from the Mountain State.

As for the Pitt game, there was an article on ESPN a couple days prior highlighting WVU's fans. Profanities escaping the sensors on ESPN from the student section and the Karen Sypher chants when they played Louisville (By comparison, this did not happen in Lexington, where we have a rivalry with our in-state competition :)). I would say this was the climax after other bad behavior leading up to the Pitt game.

And I do realize its happened other places. Mississippi State fans threw water bottles at the refs and Cal after we pretty much ended their season last week. I'm waiting for a game (doesn't matter who), where the fans end up costing their team a game with their behavior. It needs to happen soon, otherwise there will be copycat offenders.

Regarding the series, I think the fact that we are debating this perfectly summarizes it. Marshall people love it, WVU people hate it. There just isn't anything to gain from it. To Marshall, it is their Super Bowl. To WVU, all it is is a chance to look foolish. I understand your point of saying how is it different than scheduling Libertry, EWU, etc. My point is that those teams don't get nearly as jazzed up to play WVU as Marshall does, and that is just not an ideal situation for WVU. The fact that the game is ever played in Huntington makes no sense to me. If you're doing it for "the state", then play the game at Mountaineer Field, and even let Marshall finds by all the tickets they can first. Play it so the people of the state actually get to see the game, instead of cramming all of those WVU fans into that tiny stadium in Huntington.

Every year, my family (mostly WVU fans, some Marshall) has a big huge email chain heading up to the game. Mostly, it is all just trash talk and Marshall jokes. If Marshall were to ever beat WVU, I would NEVER hear the end of it. Never. If WVU beats Marshall, ho hum. It may not sound like a big deal, but I would not be able to handle a year of listening to my aunt remind me of Marshall beating WVU. But I gain nothing out of talking smack to her, because we are supposed to beat them every year.

Again, that may sound trivial, but I just don't like the idea of WVU playing a game like that, where a team is so motivated, and we really have nothing to gain.

Regarding the fan behavior, I believe my post right above this one addresses that. I should have just done one post.

I know other Louisville fans that travel to road games (particularly football) and they all claim WVU has the nastiest fan base they've seen. Honestly, I couldn't care less about WVU or their program but the reason it made headlines is because West Virginia has that reputation, deservedly.

The UK-UofL rivalry is intense but outside of a few fights that inevitably occur at football games, the fans stay fairly civil.

And I've been to both basketball and football games in Louisville, and can honestly say they were some of the worst fans I've encountered on road trips. Did it bother me? No. I know from my experience as a Mountaineer fan, that going on the road can be like that, you just can't take it personal. I actually look forward to being hostily treated by opposing fans. I honestly can't wait for the LSU game this year. Supposedly they "rival us" as having the worst fan base in the country.

RANDY IN INDY
02-26-2010, 08:43 AM
Just one more reason to hate WVU. One more elitist, condescending attitude toward Marshall is just the more reason to despise WVU. I remember when WVU was getting their tails handed to them in small, decrepit, old Mountaineer Field in the early 70's. I was born and raised in West Virginia, rooted for both Marshall and West Virginia as a kid growing up and have basically been turned off on WVU by the ridiculous fans that think their University is the only one in the state and think it is their duty to ridicule Marshall at every opportunity, including wearing derogatory t-shirts about the plane crash to the Marshall game in Huntington. I have relatives that are WVU fans that I can hardly stand to be around anymore because of their condescending comments and attitude toward Marshall. Despicable, rude, ugly, with no class are my general feelings about most WVU fans that I come in contact with. Having lived in other parts of the country, it is interesting to hear the same comment from nearly everyone that I come in contact with, "What is up with those nasty, rude people from WVU?" With that type of behavior going on whereever WVU plays, it is no wonder that so many people negatively stereotype people from West Virginia as they do.

WVRed
02-26-2010, 10:08 AM
Just one more reason to hate WVU. One more elitist, condescending attitude toward Marshall is just the more reason to despise WVU. I remember when WVU was getting their tails handed to them in small, decrepit, old Mountaineer Field in the early 70's. I was born and raised in West Virginia, rooted for both Marshall and West Virginia as a kid growing up and have basically been turned off on WVU by the ridiculous fans that think their University is the only one in the state and think it is their duty to ridicule Marshall at every opportunity, including wearing derogatory t-shirts about the plane crash to the Marshall game in Huntington. I have relatives that are WVU fans that I can hardly stand to be around anymore because of their condescending comments and attitude toward Marshall. Despicable, rude, ugly, with no class are my general feelings about most WVU fans that I come in contact with. Having lived in other parts of the country, it is interesting to hear the same comment from nearly everyone that I come in contact with, "What is up with those nasty, rude people from WVU?" With that type of behavior going on whereever WVU plays, it is no wonder that so many people negatively stereotype people from West Virginia as they do.

You know what they say, West Virginia fans act like West Virginia residents. :)

I'm all in favor of cancelling the Friends of Coal bowl actually. With the way WVU is headed under Stewart and Marshall likely to still be in bowl contention, it wouldn't be a shock to see them play in the St. Petersburg Bowl sometime in the near future. If Marshall does the unthinkable and WVU approaches them looking for a grudge match next season in Morgantown, tell them "Thanks, but no thanks".

Homer Bailey
02-26-2010, 12:00 PM

I can't defend the rude WVU fans (the plane crash stuff sickens me), but to blame the Marshall inferiority complex on me and other WVU fans is ridiculous. I wasn't around in the 70's during the dark days of WVU football, but I was around in the 90's when Marshall fans walked around the WV beating their chests about their football team, and about how they were the best team in the state. We all know what's happened once they've decided to join the big boys at the D1 level. WVU has won every single time they've played. Yet you guys consider it a rivalry. Honestly, why would we consider it a rivalry? You've never beaten us! In the last 5 years alone we've beaten the likes of Georgia, Georgia Tech, Auburn, Oklahoma, etc. We aren't the cream of the crop in NCAA football, but we do play on a different level than Marshall. I'm sure you'll view it as elitist, but any non-biased fan would tell you what it is: fact.

What's drives WVU fans nuts about Marshall fans is the fact that nowadays, Marshall fans only talk junk to WVU fans about games that we lose to other teams. I constantly get reminded of "13-9" by Marshall fans. I just don't get it.

For years, we hated Miami. We got jazzed up to play them every year. Why? Because they always beat us! Did they think of it as a rivalry? Of course not. They were winning the Big East every year and playing in consecutive national championships. To WVU it was a "rivalry", to Miami, it was just another game against a pesky team.

Honestly, I wouldn't say anything about Marshall, but it's the fact that Marshall fans are ALWAYS talking about WVU, always trying to bring WVU down, and always trying to establish themselves on the same level as WVU. It's tiresome.

Boston Red
02-26-2010, 12:12 PM
We all know what's happened once they've decided to join the big boys at the D1 level. WVU has won every single time they've played.

You conveniently fail to point out that Marshall had quite a few excellent teams right after joinining Division I-A, and WV played exactly one of them...and won a classic. Just about everyone would agree that if Marshall and WV had played every year over the five seasons following that game that WV would have struggled to win a majority of those games.

Homer Bailey
02-26-2010, 12:28 PM
You conveniently fail to point out that Marshall had quite a few excellent teams right after joinining Division I-A, and WV played exactly one of them...and won a classic. Just about everyone would agree that if Marshall and WV had played every year over the five seasons following that game that WV would have struggled to win a majority of those games.

Grasping for straws here. I'm not giving a history lesson on Marshall football. I'm stating facts, you're arguing a hypothetical that can NEVER be proven. Yes Marshall had good teams when it came to D-1, but it seems like everytime they were exposed to a legit BCS school, they got beaten up on.

Boston Red
02-26-2010, 12:33 PM
Yes, like when they beat Big XII champ K-State in Manhattan? Or when they won in Death Valley? Or when they won at South Carolina?

Homer Bailey
02-26-2010, 12:56 PM
Yes, like when they beat Big XII champ K-State in Manhattan? Or when they won in Death Valley? Or when they won at South Carolina?

While getting destroyed by Florida, VT, Miami Ohio, losing to Tennessee?

Yes they had some quality wins, but they also had their butts handed to them by big time schools. The majority of their wins came against non-BCS schools, and the majority of the time they played BCS schools, they lost. I'm saying this off memory, and don't want to put forth the effort to do any more googling that I've already done.

Boston Red
02-26-2010, 04:26 PM
WV in that era wasn't exactly Tennessee, Florida or VaTech (or even Miami(OH) the year Big Ben led them to a top 15 ranking).

Homer Bailey
02-26-2010, 05:10 PM
WV in that era wasn't exactly Tennessee, Florida or VaTech (or even Miami(OH) the year Big Ben led them to a top 15 ranking).

I'm aware of that. Those were our transition years with RR.

Boston Red
02-26-2010, 05:17 PM
Yes, and Marshall, while clearly inferior today, would have had one helluva chance to beat the Mountaineers back then. I mean, you can't refuse to play a team when they're good and you're not, schedule them when you're good and they're not and then claim total superiority because you never lose to the other team.

Hell, if UK had refused to play Louisville until Steve Kragthorpe arrived, UK could claim that they have always been superior to the Cards.

Homer Bailey
02-26-2010, 05:26 PM
Yes, and Marshall, while clearly inferior today, would have had one helluva chance to beat the Mountaineers back then. I mean, you can't refuse to play a team when they're good and you're not, schedule them when you're good and they're not and then claim total superiority because you never lose to the other team.

Hell, if UK had refused to play Louisville until Steve Kragthorpe arrived, UK could claim that they have always been superior to the Cards.

To be honest, I don't know the details of the "refusing to play" claim you make. I don't know of any story where we refused to play Marshall. If it exists, I'm not aware of it, nor am I interested in it. Schedules are made years and years in advance. It's impossible to predict how good a team will be when you schedule them. When WVU and Auburn agreed to a H&H, both teams were in the top 10. When they played both teams, neither was in the top 25. It's not like WVU backed out on the Friday before the game because Marshall was too good to play them.

All I know is that we've beaten Marshall every time we've played them, and that you are arguing a hypothetical that can NEVER be proven.

Boston Red
02-26-2010, 05:41 PM
Just don't make it out to be more than it is. Yes, WV has beaten every Marshall team they've played. All that means is that the WV teams that have played Marshall have been better than those particular Marshall teams.

It sure as hell does not mean that WV has always been and always will be superior to Marshall in football every year.

Did you know that Xavier is 13-0 against Louisville all-time in football? Pretty sure that doesn't mean that Xavier always has been, is and always will be superior to Louisville in football.

reds1869
02-26-2010, 07:52 PM
Just don't make it out to be more than it is. Yes, WV has beaten every Marshall team they've played. All that means is that the WV teams that have played Marshall have been better than those particular Marshall teams.

It sure as hell does not mean that WV has always been and always will be superior to Marshall in football every year.

Did you know that Xavier is 13-0 against Louisville all-time in football? Pretty sure that doesn't mean that Xavier always has been, is and always will be superior to Louisville in football.

Undefeated since 1973, baby! A thread with both Marshall and Xavier...I'm in heaven.

WVRed
02-26-2010, 11:18 PM
I can't defend the rude WVU fans (the plane crash stuff sickens me), but to blame the Marshall inferiority complex on me and other WVU fans is ridiculous. I wasn't around in the 70's during the dark days of WVU football, but I was around in the 90's when Marshall fans walked around the WV beating their chests about their football team, and about how they were the best team in the state. We all know what's happened once they've decided to join the big boys at the D1 level. WVU has won every single time they've played. Yet you guys consider it a rivalry. Honestly, why would we consider it a rivalry? You've never beaten us! In the last 5 years alone we've beaten the likes of Georgia, Georgia Tech, Auburn, Oklahoma, etc. We aren't the cream of the crop in NCAA football, but we do play on a different level than Marshall. I'm sure you'll view it as elitist, but any non-biased fan would tell you what it is: fact.

What's drives WVU fans nuts about Marshall fans is the fact that nowadays, Marshall fans only talk junk to WVU fans about games that we lose to other teams. I constantly get reminded of "13-9" by Marshall fans. I just don't get it.

For years, we hated Miami. We got jazzed up to play them every year. Why? Because they always beat us! Did they think of it as a rivalry? Of course not. They were winning the Big East every year and playing in consecutive national championships. To WVU it was a "rivalry", to Miami, it was just another game against a pesky team.

Honestly, I wouldn't say anything about Marshall, but it's the fact that Marshall fans are ALWAYS talking about WVU, always trying to bring WVU down, and always trying to establish themselves on the same level as WVU. It's tiresome.

I do find it slightly amusing that WVU looks at Marshall the same way WVU's other rivals (maybe with the exception of Pitt) perceive them.

WVU fans saw Miami as a rivalry, whereas Miami saw Florida St (ACC) and Florida (SEC) as their rivals. Virginia Tech and Maryland also come to mind.

will listed teams that WVU views as rivals. I wonder how many feel the same way?

reds1869
02-28-2010, 08:56 AM
Just thought I'd throw this out there. It is an excerpt from a recent Charleston Gazette article by Mitch Vingle, one of the more pro-WVU/anti-Marshall writers in Charleston.

"So it's a sticky situation. I realize many Mountaineer fans say, ah, the heck with it. Let Marshall sink. But my question is, why? In this state? Why wouldn't the two major institutions work together? I mean, aren't there enough outside forces working against us? Do we need to "hate'' instate as well?

Just seems the animosity is silly. Especially since a deal can be worked out.

Look, if Louisville and Purdue can agree to home-and-home series with Marshall, and WVU can agree to a home-and-home series with East Carolina into, seemingly, perpetuity, an agreement can be made between our state's two universities."

http://wvgazette.com/Sports/Marshall/201002270517

RANDY IN INDY
02-28-2010, 09:33 AM
Bailey, I have no inferiority complex about Marshall. That is your own perception. I just can't stand WVU or, for the most part, its fans.

will5979
02-28-2010, 08:34 PM
I stand corrected. :)

The last two WVU-Marshall games also were pretty close until the second half and the Herd would always run out of gas.

Marshall scored a total of 10 points in those 2 games...27-3 and 24-7 are hardly "pretty close."

This argument is going nowhere, 2 things are for sure and thats Marshall will always feel that they have something to prove and WVU will always be in a no-win situation with the series. If Marshall were smart they would run and hide from this series...you honestly think I miss the Miami series?

will5979
02-28-2010, 08:41 PM
I just can't stand WVU or, for the most part, its fans.

What can I say? Not all us West Virginians are perfect. All I know is that when that football team wins its not just a win for the WVU atheletic dept.,its a win for the entire state...WVU represents West Virginia, they bear the state nickname, as well as the state colors...every true West Virginian should be proud of this team...they are 15th on the all time list in NCAA D-1 wins. For a team that has never won the MNC that is pretty damn impressive.

Don't tell me there wasn't any state pride when WVU beat Georgia in the Sugar Bowl in the wake of the Sago Mine Disaster...I almost cried thinking of how proud of our state that I was that night, especially in light of the tragedy. Or when Owen Schmitt made his famous Fiesta Bowl speech about the only fans in the nation to pick WVU to beat Oklahoma was the greatest state in the nation...I also almost cried during that speech.

Homer Bailey
03-01-2010, 10:46 AM
What can I say? Not all us West Virginians are perfect. All I know is that when that football team wins its not just a win for the WVU atheletic dept.,its a win for the entire state...WVU represents West Virginia, they bear the state nickname, as well as the state colors...every true West Virginian should be proud of this team...they are 15th on the all time list in NCAA D-1 wins. For a team that has never won the MNC that is pretty damn impressive.

Don't tell me there wasn't any state pride when WVU beat Georgia in the Sugar Bowl in the wake of the Sago Mine Disaster...I almost cried thinking of how proud of our state that I was that night, especially in light of the tragedy. Or when Owen Schmitt made his famous Fiesta Bowl speech about the only fans in the nation to pick WVU to beat Oklahoma was the greatest state in the nation...I also almost cried during that speech.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sQW80DHKLEU

I tear up every time.

joshnky
03-01-2010, 11:24 AM
All I know is that when that football team wins its not just a win for the WVU atheletic dept.,its a win for the entire state...WVU represents West Virginia, they bear the state nickname, as well as the state colors...every true West Virginian should be proud of this team.

I've never understood this thought process and I'll compare it to the UofL-UK situation. They're both public institutions, so regardless of the name, your tax dollars go to both. If UK wins the NCAA championship, no one thinks "wow, Kentucky must be a terrific state". The praise goes to the university and more specifically the team which this year has only one minor role player from the state of Kentucky and a vagabond coach. And, I suspect (reverting back to WVU-Marshall) there are actually more native West Virginians, especially among the starters, on Marshall's football team than on WVU's so one might say that Marshall is more West Virginia's team than WVU.

As a UofL fan, I hate UK and feel no obligation to cheer for them out of some abstract and false cause such as state pride. I imagine Marshall fans feel the same way.

WVRed
03-01-2010, 11:43 AM
Marshall scored a total of 10 points in those 2 games...27-3 and 24-7 are hardly "pretty close."

This argument is going nowhere, 2 things are for sure and thats Marshall will always feel that they have something to prove and WVU will always be in a no-win situation with the series. If Marshall were smart they would run and hide from this series...you honestly think I miss the Miami series?

What was the score at halftime?

will5979
03-01-2010, 11:51 AM
What was the score at halftime?

Typical Marshall fan, "we played good with them for a half."

Son football is played for 4 quarters 60 min. All that matter is what is on the scoreboard when the clock hits 0:00.

will5979
03-01-2010, 11:51 AM
As a UofL fan, I hate UK and feel no obligation to cheer for them out of some abstract and false cause such as state pride. I imagine Marshall fans feel the same way.

Oh well, their loss. Watch that Owen Schmitt video above, "I love this state" while in tears says it all.

Boston Red
03-01-2010, 11:59 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YgUiLKHAiAI&NR=1

We're supposed to take seriously anything that a guy who does this says?!?

WVRed
03-01-2010, 12:19 PM
I've never understood this thought process and I'll compare it to the UofL-UK situation. They're both public institutions, so regardless of the name, your tax dollars go to both. If UK wins the NCAA championship, no one thinks "wow, Kentucky must be a terrific state". The praise goes to the university and more specifically the team which this year has only one minor role player from the state of Kentucky and a vagabond coach. And, I suspect (reverting back to WVU-Marshall) there are actually more native West Virginians, especially among the starters, on Marshall's football team than on WVU's so one might say that Marshall is more West Virginia's team than WVU.

Couldn't have put it any better myself.

All I know is that when that football team wins its not just a win for the WVU atheletic dept.,its a win for the entire state...WVU represents West Virginia

I needed a good laugh for the day. Thank you.

Make no mistake, you could draw a map and divide the state of West Virginia from Charleston. The northern part of the state including Parkersburg, Bridgeport, Clarksburg, and Morgantown are all WVU country. You might include Beckley but there is a UVA-VaTech pull there as well. South of Charleston is either Marshall or Kentucky. Most people in the southern part of the state are put off by the condescending and obnoxious fanbase that is West Virginia University.

By the same analogy though, would WVU fans consider Marshall beating Xavier back in the 70's a "win for the state" after what happened with the plane crash? I'm just curious.

I realize this is basketball, but I think it does perfectly illustrate the divide in the Mountain State. Huntington High had a team three years ago that featured Patrick Patterson, one of the best high school players to ever come out of West Virginia and was a five star recruit. By the logic of state pride, Patterson "should" be playing for WVU right now, but he quickly eliminated the Mountaineers from his list. Why would he? Play for his hometown team and play in the Big East, the most loaded conference in college basketball.

OTOH, WVU was able to secure a commitment from the top O-Line prospect in the nation in Josh Jenkins, who was from Parkersburg High. State pride? Oh yeah. When you consider what happened with Rodriguez and he also had Florida and Ohio State recruiting him.

West Virginia is divided, whether WVU fans want to accept it or not. Not everybody south of Charleston loves the Mountaineers.

will5979
03-01-2010, 12:28 PM
By the same analogy though, would WVU fans consider Marshall beating Xavier back in the 70's a "win for the state" after what happened with the plane crash? I'm just curious.

West Virginia is divided, whether WVU fans want to accept it or not. Not everybody south of Charleston loves the Mountaineers.

Allow me to answer your 2nd question first...I have lived in Southern WV my entire life and trust me, 8 of 10 people that I live around bleed gold and blue. I even know one man that PLAYED for Marshall but his true love is Mountaineer football, he cheers for WVU when they play.

And the win vs. Xavier, well I wasn't alive but I know that after what happened to the Marshall football team I would have been damn proud to see them overcome those obstacles to win that game...yes it was a win for the state...did you also know about Bobby Bowden playing tribute to that disaster by having his team don MU crosses on their WVU helmets? No not the arrogant, elistist, dispicable Mountaineer football program, that is not their style remember?

Hell man even the ESPN achors commented during the WVU/Auburn game last year about how WVU football was the State's team...whether YOU want to admit it or not.

WVRed
03-01-2010, 12:38 PM
Allow me to answer your 2nd question first...I have lived in Southern WV my entire life and trust me, 8 of 10 people that I live around bleed gold and blue. I even know one man that PLAYED for Marshall but his true love is Mountaineer football, he cheers for WVU when they play.

And the win vs. Xavier, well I wasn't alive but I know that after what happened to the Marshall football team I would have been damn proud to see them overcome those obstacles to win that game...yes it was a win for the state...did you also know about Bobby Bowden playing tribute to that disaster by having his team don MU crosses on their WVU helmets? No not the arrogant, elistist, dispicable Mountaineer football program, that is not their style remember?

Hell man even the ESPN achors commented during the WVU/Auburn game last year about how WVU football was the State's team...whether YOU want to admit it or not.

Depends on which part of the south it is. From 64 on up through Charleston, you won't find very many WVU fans.

The crosses was taken from We Are Marshall. That also doesn't surprise me with Bobby Bowden because I have always viewed him as a class act.

As for the WVU-Auburn game, John Calipari when he was at Memphis referred to Memphis as "Tennessee's team", mostly to irritate Bruce Pearl. Does it make it true? Especially when the entire state bleeds orange when it comes to the Vols.

will5979
03-01-2010, 12:43 PM
The crosses was taken from We Are Marshall. That also doesn't surprise me with Bobby Bowden because I have always viewed him as a class act.

As for the WVU-Auburn game, John Calipari when he was at Memphis referred to Memphis as "Tennessee's team", mostly to irritate Bruce Pearl. Does it make it true? Especially when the entire state bleeds orange when it comes to the Vols.

Hell man I can tell you that Tenn is that state's team! Yes the crosses were depicted factually in We Are Marshall...

That scene is historically accurate. The cross and "MU" decals were worn on West Virginia helmets during the following spring.

In another scene in the movie, Bowden allows Marshall coaches access to game film and playbooks to help their switch to the veer offense. That, too, is historically accurate.

And you are definitely right, Bowden is one helluva man!

Slyder
03-01-2010, 01:24 PM

They outplayed us for at least a half of the game (this past year 3 quarters) because we have a moron for a coach who doesnt know how to prepair his teams for teams we should KILL. Don't look at just the score. I watched both those games and was absolutely livid that we had to rely on Marshall wearing out in order to put them away.

Why would Marshall run now? They are getting to a point where they can actually compete and this gives them a perfect opportunity to grab headlines and show progress as a program. As long as Coach Stew is at WVU it shouldnt be hard for Marshall to find some pop warner league coach who can outcoach him. Now they have a guy with a reputation as a premier recruiter.

I miss both the Penn State and Miami series. It gave us a chance to play an elite team (most years) on a grander scale than most of our games were. It gave us an opportunity to go to the big dawgs and see how we stood up. I missed having another opportunity at Miami after coming 1 stop away from winning in the ORANGE BOWL. There wasnt many places that walking into a place and winning meant MORE than coming out of the Orange Bowl with a W.

will5979
03-01-2010, 04:26 PM
I missed having another opportunity at Miami after coming 1 stop away from winning in the ORANGE BOWL. There wasnt many places that walking into a place and winning meant MORE than coming out of the Orange Bowl with a W.

We beat them there in 1997...we actually only beat them 3 times, 97, 93 during Perfect Season #2, and I think sometime in the 70s before there was a BE.

I agree with you about Bill Stewart...as much as it pains me to say this I would ALMOST CONSIDER forgiving RichRod to come back, but that will never happen, Bill good golly gee gosh darnit to heck Stewart is one of them Good Ole Boys that our administration likes. Since 2005 we should have only lost 3 games...VT 05, ECU 08, and USF 09. The rest of the losses since 05 could have easily been ours, I hate Bill Stewart (as a coach, not as a person). He definitely cost us FSU 10, UC 09/08, Auburn 09, Colorado 08, sPitt 08. I seriously believe that since he has been head coach we should have only lost 2 games, 09 USF and 08 ECU.

WVRed
03-01-2010, 05:41 PM
They outplayed us for at least a half of the game (this past year 3 quarters) because we have a moron for a coach who doesnt know how to prepair his teams for teams we should KILL. Don't look at just the score. I watched both those games and was absolutely livid that we had to rely on Marshall wearing out in order to put them away.

Why would Marshall run now? They are getting to a point where they can actually compete and this gives them a perfect opportunity to grab headlines and show progress as a program. As long as Coach Stew is at WVU it shouldnt be hard for Marshall to find some pop warner league coach who can outcoach him. Now they have a guy with a reputation as a premier recruiter.

I miss both the Penn State and Miami series. It gave us a chance to play an elite team (most years) on a grander scale than most of our games were. It gave us an opportunity to go to the big dawgs and see how we stood up. I missed having another opportunity at Miami after coming 1 stop away from winning in the ORANGE BOWL. There wasnt many places that walking into a place and winning meant MORE than coming out of the Orange Bowl with a W.

I see your point, but as much as I want Holliday to be successful at Marshall, I really don't see it happening. He is a recruiting coordinator who's jobs include selling players on the idea of playing for his boss (Urban Meyer or Bill Stewart). Now he is having to recruit kids to play for him.

In West Virginia and surrounding states that will be pretty easy. The extremely talented such as Jenkins will go to the Mountaineers, but Holliday will only have a talent pool of in-state talent. That will work against teams in C-USA, but likely will not get them into a national ranking.

He definitely cost us FSU 10

I don't think anybody outside of the state of West Virginia thought that WVU was going to win that game (even if they were ranked going in). Of course, you could make the Oklahoma argument, but playing the Gator Bowl in Bobby Bowden's last game, you knew FSU was going to get all the breaks.

Homer Bailey
03-01-2010, 05:51 PM
I don't think anybody outside of the state of West Virginia thought that WVU was going to win that game (even if they were ranked going in). Of course, you could make the Oklahoma argument, but playing the Gator Bowl in Bobby Bowden's last game, you knew FSU was going to get all the breaks.

The game was over. WVU was up 14-3 with the ball, and absolutely could not be stopped. Stewart infamously decided to "spread the wealth", and start passing the ball, despite the fact that Devine had already run for over 100 yards, and it was the 2nd quarter. All WVU had to do was continue to run it down their throats, and what does Stewart do? He starts chuckin it. Brown throws a pick, and now it's 14-10, and 14-13 at half. Brown gets hurt, in comes the true freshman. Back to the running game right? Nope. Let's air it out FIFTEEN TIMES in the 2nd half. Absolutely ridiculous. FSU had one of the worst run defeneses I have EVER seen on a D1 team, and we decided to throw it basically every down. Disgusting performance. WVU should have blown them out of the water.

will5979
03-01-2010, 06:04 PM

I can't argue with you on that, I knew from the get go when they were going to match FSU/WVU no matter what in the Gator that we had lost. We legitimately earned that berth, FSU should not have been there, we should have been playing Miami or Tech...would have much rather lost to them than a mediocre FSU team.

WVRed
03-30-2010, 11:07 AM
This isn't really related to Doc Holliday or the football program, but I thought it would be better than posting a new thread.

Donnie Jones has taken the UCF job. Thought that Orlando Antigua would be a candidate for it. One of the names I have heard linked to the job is Brett Nelson, the former Florida PG under Billy Donovan and a Jones assistant.

Reading HerdNation, you would think it was a WVU message board with all the stuff coming out on there toward Jones. :) I can't say I blame him even though it is in the same conference.

reds1869
03-30-2010, 02:40 PM
This isn't really related to Doc Holliday or the football program, but I thought it would be better than posting a new thread.

Donnie Jones has taken the UCF job. Thought that Orlando Antigua would be a candidate for it. One of the names I have heard linked to the job is Brett Nelson, the former Florida PG under Billy Donovan and a Jones assistant.

Reading HerdNation, you would think it was a WVU message board with all the stuff coming out on there toward Jones. :) I can't say I blame him even though it is in the same conference.

I'm a Marshall fan that completely understands why he left. More money+living in Orlando=Easy Choice. But I'll never forgive him as a coach for going to UCF. I'm cool with coaches leaving for a bigger program, but this is a lateral move in every area except the two mentioned above. I wouldn't be so bothered if he didn't always claim to be "a Son of Marshall" and "completely thrilled to be in West Virginia again."

Slyder
03-30-2010, 05:56 PM
I'm a Marshall fan that completely understands why he left. More money+living in Orlando=Easy Choice. But I'll never forgive him as a coach for going to UCF. I'm cool with coaches leaving for a bigger program, but this is a lateral move in every area except the two mentioned above. I wouldn't be so bothered if he didn't always claim to be "a Son of Marshall" and "completely thrilled to be in West Virginia again."

Welcome to Rootsville... Population: WV.

WVRed
03-30-2010, 08:09 PM

I think that has a lot to do with it (obviously), but I also think he really didn't get much support from the administration. Mike Hambrick is a former Marshall football player and Marshall is a football school. What little bit of money the university brings in, most of it is going to Doc Holliday and the football program.

I posted this on HerdNation, but I think Orlando Antigua would be somebody to consider. I look for him to land a coaching job this year and Huntington may be a good place to start. The name i've been hearing is Brett Nelson, former Florida PG and Donnie Jones assistant (St Albans native)

RANDY IN INDY
03-31-2010, 08:53 AM
I would like to see them look at one of the Duke assistants. Chris Collins or Wojo.

reds1869
03-31-2010, 10:21 AM
I think that has a lot to do with it (obviously), but I also think he really didn't get much support from the administration. Mike Hambrick is a former Marshall football player and Marshall is a football school. What little bit of money the university brings in, most of it is going to Doc Holliday and the football program.

I posted this on HerdNation, but I think Orlando Antigua would be somebody to consider. I look for him to land a coaching job this year and Huntington may be a good place to start. The name i've been hearing is Brett Nelson, former Florida PG and Donnie Jones assistant (St Albans native)

I've heard Nelson's name tossed around, too. I wouldn't be at all surprised.

KronoRed
03-31-2010, 04:54 PM
If they hire Nelson the Florida/Marshall connection keeps on going :lol:

WVRed
03-31-2010, 10:46 PM
I would like to see them look at one of the Duke assistants. Chris Collins or Wojo.

Don't know about that. Outside of Capel, I really don't think Coach K has produced any quality coaches.

Mike Brey: Good but his job has been called into question a few times.

Tommy Amaker: Fired from Michigan and is now working his way back up at Harvard.

Johnny Dawkins: Too early to tell at Stanford.

Revering4Blue
04-03-2010, 12:17 AM
The job to replace Donnie Jones at Marshall will likely come down to Pittsburgh associate Tom Herrion, former Charlotte head coach Bobby Lutz, Appalachian State's Buzz Peterson and Cleveland State associate head coach Jayson Gee. UNLV assistant Steve Henson is also in the mix, but sources have told FOXSports.com that the job will likely go to someone with current or previous Division I head coaching experience.

http://community.foxsports.com/goodmanonfox/blog/

Slyder
04-03-2010, 01:58 AM
Jayson Gee has some local ties, he was the coach at University of Charleston forever. I dont remember him having another head coaching position. He ran the youth camps for years.

WVRed
04-03-2010, 07:30 PM
Not really overwhelmed by any of the names.

I liked Buzz Peterson as a person when he was at Tennessee, just thought he was in over his head. Lutz may be the best one that has been mentioned. Gee could be intriguing.

I just dont see Marshall spending money on a decent coach. Even if they do, they will leave again just like Jones did.

reds1869
04-04-2010, 08:48 AM
Not really overwhelmed by any of the names.

I liked Buzz Peterson as a person when he was at Tennessee, just thought he was in over his head. Lutz may be the best one that has been mentioned. Gee could be intriguing.

I just dont see Marshall spending money on a decent coach. Even if they do, they will leave again just like Jones did.

Clearly you don't have faith in Mike Hamrick. He will shell out whatever resources are needed to get the man he wants. See: football coach.

WVRed
04-04-2010, 09:23 AM
Clearly you don't have faith in Mike Hamrick. He will shell out whatever resources are needed to get the man he wants. See: football coach.

That's just it. Football.

Marshall is a football school. What little resources Marshall has ultimately goes to the football program. Basketball is second fiddle in Huntington and Hamrick is a former MU football player. See a trend?

Revering4Blue
04-09-2010, 08:36 PM
Pittsburgh associate head coach Tom Herrion has been hired at Marshall.

Sources told FOXSports.com that Herrion will be introduced at a news conference on Saturday.

Herrion, 42, has spent the past three years working for Jamie Dixon at Pittsburgh after being let go after a four-year stint at the College of Charleston in which he averaged 20 wins per season.

Herrion takes over a program that won 23 games last season under Donnie Jones, who left to go to fellow C-USA Central Florida.

Herrion was 80-38 in his career at Charleston and was also an assistant at Virginia from 1998-2002 and Providence from 1994-98.

reds1869
04-10-2010, 09:48 AM
Herrion is a good hire. If he brings the Pitt style to Huntington the fans will love it.