PDA

View Full Version : When not re-work/extend Brandon Phillips like Rolen?

Vottomatic
12-28-2009, 10:49 PM
BP is scheduled to make nearly $7M in '10 and $11.2M in '11.

Why not rework his contract while extending it, like they did Rolen? Or do we just want to hope that Todd Frazier is our next second baseman? They could extend BP without allowing a "no trade" clause, which would make him more financially feasible for the Reds or for trade bait.

'10: $7M
'11: $8M
'12: $8M
'13: $8M

Salaries are dropping unless you play for the Yanks.

Edit: Wish a mod would change title to "Why" instead of "When". Typo. Thanks.

BLEEDS
12-29-2009, 12:44 AM
They should, otherwise we're trading him, because he's due $12M in 2011!!! YIKES!!

He's got to move to SS or restructure like you suggest - or both!

PEACE

-BLEEDS

Donder
12-29-2009, 11:43 AM
I absolutely think that the team should approach him with something like this. If BP wants to stay he just might bite on it. However, financially I think in the long run he could do better leaving it as it is and testing the FA market (assuming he continues producing as he has).

I would definitely try something like this with Harang and Arroyo too (unless the club thinks Harang is running out of fuel at this point). It doesn't hurt to try.

vottofan4life
01-01-2010, 04:31 PM
Brandon still has more potential though because he is young and that is why his contract should not be restructured. I'd rather restructure Bronson's contract and keep him around for longer. Maybe 2 years for 6 million per

Vottomatic
01-01-2010, 07:23 PM
It would be interesting if they actually could get these guys to restructure.