PDA

View Full Version : What it would take for the Reds to contend in 2010

fewfirstchoice
12-30-2009, 06:01 PM
I really truly believe that the Reds could contend next year if they add a avg. to good SS( Cabrera or Tejada ) and a number 3 to 4 type starter. The lineup would look really good and the rotation would be pretty good aswell.

C- Hernandez
1B- Votto
2B- Phillips
SS- Tejada or Cabrera (2 yr deal for either for 10 mil)
3B- Rolen
LF- Nix or Balentin (it will be one or the other IMO)
CF- Stubbs
RF- Bruce

1) Harang
2) Arroyo
3) Mulder or Garland (1yr deal for 3-4 mil. with a option)
4) Cueto
5) Bailey

1) Stubbs
2) Cabrera
3) Votto
4) Phillips
5) Bruce
6) Rolen
7) Hernadez
8) Nix or Balentin

Strider
12-30-2009, 06:24 PM
Divine Intervention ?

RedLakerFan24
12-30-2009, 06:39 PM
1. Drew Stubbs CF
2. Reid Brignac SS
3. Joey Votto 1B
4. Brandon Phillips 2B
5. Scott Rolen 3B
6. Jay Bruce RF
7. Chris Heisey LF
8. Ramon Hernandez

1. Aaron Harang
2. Bronson Arroyo
3. Johny Cueto
4. Homer Bailey
5. Erik Bedard

cbowen2112
12-30-2009, 06:44 PM
literally could have replied on the threads I started earlier.

cbowen2112
12-30-2009, 06:45 PM
1. Drew Stubbs CF
2. Reid Brignac SS
3. Joey Votto 1B
4. Brandon Phillips 2B
5. Scott Rolen 3B
6. Jay Bruce RF
7. Chris Heisey LF
8. Ramon Hernandez

1. Aaron Harang
2. Bronson Arroyo
3. Johny Cueto
4. Homer Bailey
5. Erik Bedard

Who do we give the Rays?

Vottomatic
12-30-2009, 07:17 PM
Stay Healthy!

cbowen2112
12-30-2009, 07:33 PM
Stay Healthy!

^^^^^^
This:thumbup:

RedLakerFan24
12-30-2009, 07:34 PM
Who do we give the Rays?

Juan Franciso + Matt Moloney

cbowen2112
12-30-2009, 07:56 PM
1. Drew Stubbs CF
2. Reid Brignac SS
3. Joey Votto 1B
4. Brandon Phillips 2B
5. Scott Rolen 3B
6. Jay Bruce RF
7. Chris Heisey LF
8. Ramon Hernandez

1. Aaron Harang
2. Bronson Arroyo
3. Johny Cueto
4. Homer Bailey
5. Erik Bedard

What kinda money for Bedard?

Kingspoint
12-30-2009, 08:35 PM
http://www.redszone.com/forums/showthread.php?t=79726

Ghosts of 1990
12-30-2009, 08:48 PM
I don't think its going to happen in 2010. They're not sucking me in this time like they have the past several years, last included. We're a 5th place franchise until otherwise is proven.

And we're a 5th place ballclub that will end up playing guys like Chris Burke 100+ games and Laynce Nix for 110. That's just not good. The youngsters need their at-bats, not guys who will be out of baseball once the Reds are finished with them.

We always bottom feed. I'm sorry but as a baseball fan I don't see anyway they can contend the past few months.

People will say pitching, but unless they get more consistent the truth is it's only potential. That stands for Bailey, Cueto, Harang, and Bunny Arroyo.

Ghosts of 1990
12-30-2009, 08:48 PM
Stay Healthy!

This would REALLY help and its a must to even have a shot.

redleg40
12-31-2009, 12:11 AM
I really like this team and I don't feel the need for an overhaul. We are a couple of players away. That is assuming everyone stays healthy and has decent years with average progression. What I would like to see is: Tavarez and Lincoln traded to Cubs or Tigers with Owings if necessary for whatever just to relieve us of the 6.5 million they get. Trade Alonso,Heisey,Valaikia,and Carlos Fisher to Tampa Bay for Matt Garza and Jason Bartlett and we are set. We would probably have to take Pat Burrell as well but that is where ownership would just have to give up some of their revenue sharing dollars and play to win! Sign Chien Mien Wang to minor league deal and we are good!

cbowen2112
12-31-2009, 12:28 AM
I really like this team and I don't feel the need for an overhaul. We are a couple of players away. That is assuming everyone stays healthy and has decent years with average progression. What I would like to see is: Tavarez and Lincoln traded to Cubs or Tigers with Owings if necessary for whatever just to relieve us of the 6.5 million they get. Trade Alonso,Heisey,Valaikia,and Carlos Fisher to Tampa Bay for Matt Garza and Jason Bartlett and we are set. We would probably have to take Pat Burrell as well but that is where ownership would just have to give up some of their revenue sharing dollars and play to win! Sign Chien Mien Wang to minor league deal and we are good!

This I agree with.

Trading both Alonso and Heisey is not the way to go. They were both raved about in the AFL. I think they might be our future. With as little money as we have we need to keep guys like this. Garza might be good for a while, Bartlett however might start to decline, just a hunch.

Vottomatic
12-31-2009, 03:43 PM
I love Heisey and hope we see him succeeding as our new left fielder.

My view is that Alonso needs to be traded to upgrade SS. He has no other position than 1B, and is not viewed as a good fielder to begin with. We have a glut of OFers, so no need to move Votto to LF. Trade Alonso.

If the chance arrived, I'd trade Valaika and Dorn. Both are on the verge of being Rule V prospects because of their tenure in the minor leagues. Neither are in the Reds long term plans.

Cozart and Frazier ARE in the Reds long term plans. They restructured Rolen's contract through 2012, and I don't see any team taking Rolen in trade at this stage of his career and his age. We are stuck with Rolen, which is fine by me. But that means third base is covered. We have a glut of decent OFers that I don't see Frazier in the mix for LF. More than likely, Frazier is our future second baseman, and BP will be traded at some point considering he is set to make over $11M in '11. Cozart will be our next starting SS as soon as he has nothing left to prove in triple A or Janish gets hurt.

Hang on to Francisco. He's the ONLY player I move Votto to LF for if he flourishes and continues to jack the ball with good average. I'd start getting him some time at 1B in the minors. He seems to be a typically first baseman to me with those kind of numbers. An Adrien Gonzalez-potential type player.

Otherwise, we have a very young team with nearly all positions filled.

C - Hernandez (old vet), Hanigan (still reasonably a newbie)
1B - Votto (young stud)
2B - Phillips (seasoned vet), Frazier (his replacement)
SS - Janish (young utility type player), Cozart (the future at SS)
3B - Rolen (old vet), we really have no competent third basemen in the system
LF - Heisey, Gomes, Nix, Dickerson, Balentien
CF - Stubbs (young), Dickerson (young)
RF - Bruce (young)

Other than Rolen and Hernandez, and you could possibly add Phillips to that mix, this is a very young team in in positions 1 thru 8.

UPRedsFan
12-31-2009, 07:46 PM
Everyone need to stay healthy for a change.

Bruce needs to arrive

Those things happen and I think we'll give St L a run for their money in aug and sept. especially with a rejuvinated Volquez coming back late in hte season.

gedred69
01-02-2010, 06:16 PM
It's been the same story for at least the last 2 years, a lot of "ifs". If everyone stays healthy. If Bruce loses the Dunn-esque love of the long ball, and hits for a much better avg., (the HRs will come). If Stubbs is at least a .275 lead-off, If Bailey picks up where he left off, and so on. There is forever the hope that some year,----maybe this year the "ifs" will come around.

zjr1717
01-04-2010, 02:17 AM
Health might be the biggest factor for any team to have a successful season in any year, some teams have smaller margin of error than others, and i would say that the Reds margin is on the slimmer side.

That being said, what the reds need is consistency in the back of the rotation (thats not asking alot, the average teams 5th starter ERA in MLB is extremely high), at least one of their starters to step up and pitch in a TOR fashion, and most of all, hit, defensively they can pick it but you have to be at least an average hitting team to win in this league. The reds have some good pieces but they're weak at short and they desperately need some guys who can get on base and at least one more who can really pack some lumber.

Oh and a little bit of luck helps as well ;)

mroby85
01-04-2010, 02:25 AM
Divine Intervention ?

I'm with this guy! lol

BLEEDS
01-04-2010, 12:49 PM
In order of magnitude, IMO:

Get a proven veteran LF-er, hopefully someone who can hit RHP for more than a .400 SLG and .800+ OPS. I'd even take a Jonny Gomes/Chris Dickerson platoon - letting Gomes get more starts vs. RHP as well - maybe 50/50.

Get either a total reversal from Harang (in terms of luck and run support) combined with a full season of "2nd half Arroyo", or we trade Harang and get another person to step in and pitch 175+ IP of 4.21 ERA. Homer has a solid year, Cueto has a solid year, and we get a combined ERA of <5.50 out of the #5 spot, and we average 5+ runs vs every other team's #5 starter.

Jay Bruce OPS's .850+ for 150+ games

Joey Votto starts 150+ games

Rolen starts 110+ games

BP continues to improve vs. RHP and can actually OPS .750+ against them

Stubbs continues to play well in CF and can improve his OBP a bit.

SS ""doesn't bat 2nd dude" !! and plays Defense at near Gold Glove level

Hernandez stays healthy and get 66% of the starts, Hanigan gets 33%

PEACE

-BLEEDS

BLEEDS
01-04-2010, 12:53 PM
http://www.redszone.com/forums/showthread.php?t=79726

Totally agree.

I do think that this is pretty much set in stone that he won't get a roster spot after ST. I think he starts the year in Lousville.

PEACE

-BLEEDS

swaisuc
01-05-2010, 12:09 PM
In order of magnitude, IMO:

Get a proven veteran LF-er, hopefully someone who can hit RHP for more than a .400 SLG and .800+ OPS. I'd even take a Jonny Gomes/Chris Dickerson platoon - letting Gomes get more starts vs. RHP as well - maybe 50/50.

Get either a total reversal from Harang (in terms of luck and run support) combined with a full season of "2nd half Arroyo", or we trade Harang and get another person to step in and pitch 175+ IP of 4.21 ERA. Homer has a solid year, Cueto has a solid year, and we get a combined ERA of <5.50 out of the #5 spot, and we average 5+ runs vs every other team's #5 starter.

Jay Bruce OPS's .850+ for 150+ games

Joey Votto starts 150+ games

Rolen starts 110+ games

BP continues to improve vs. RHP and can actually OPS .750+ against them

Stubbs continues to play well in CF and can improve his OBP a bit.

SS ""doesn't bat 2nd dude" !! and plays Defense at near Gold Glove level

Hernandez stays healthy and get 66% of the starts, Hanigan gets 33%

PEACE

-BLEEDS

Very nice post... I would personally move some of the pitching issues to the top though.

1. Cueto puts together a full season like he started last year.
2. Bailey puts together a full season like he ended last year.
3. Harang returns somewhere close to 2007 and before form.
4. Jay Bruce OPS's .850+ for 150+ games
5. Joey Votto plays in 150+ games
6. Scott Rolen plays in 125+ games
7. Someone.... ANYONE.... gets on base in the leadoff spot on a regular basis.

If we get 5 of these, we compete this year. If we get 6 of these, we can get a playoff spot. If we get 7 of these, we win the division and are a playoff contender.

How many will happen? Probably about 3... but its nice to know its possible.

foxfire123
01-05-2010, 10:48 PM
A flippin' miracle. :pray::pray:

foxfire123
01-05-2010, 10:51 PM
I really like this team and I don't feel the need for an overhaul. We are a couple of players away.

Unfortunately, we've been saying "we are only a couple players away" for how many years now?

I just can't drink the Kool-Aid this year...

Redus
01-05-2010, 11:56 PM
a 28 team plane crash..

mikemo14
01-07-2010, 12:32 AM
Sign Xavier Nady and Orlando Cabrera to incentive laiden contracts.

This Years Lineup CF Stubbs or Heisey
ss Cabrera
2b Phillips
1b Votto
3b Rolen
Rf Bruce
Lf Nady
C Hernandez

How about signing David Weathers to a minor league deal for bullpen insurance and a bounce back starter to compete with the youth.

will5979
01-07-2010, 09:34 AM
First things first, YOU HAVE TO SPEND MONEY...as long as this organization refuses to open the checkbook, we are doomed to losing seasons.

fugowitribe
01-08-2010, 12:54 AM
How about a miracle? Maybe an act of God gets us in contention. Outside of that, I don't see it. What's changed? Where are we better than last year, and the year before, and so on. I don't know how to get excited about this season. Don't get me wrong, I hope we do well and shock the world (including me) and make a run at something, but it was said well earlier when someone said that we are bottom feeders and we will always play like we pay.

Girevik
01-08-2010, 11:30 PM
How about a miracle? Maybe an act of God gets us in contention. Outside of that, I don't see it. What's changed? Where are we better than last year, and the year before, and so on. I don't know how to get excited about this season.

They finished the season strong! All of us who also follow the Bengals know that when a horrible team finishes with a few wins it means a successful next season. Right?

cbowen2112
01-09-2010, 12:46 AM
How about some guys with lot's of money do their jobs. Other guys who get paid big bucks coach to their potential and an owner who spends money on FAs.

That is too much to ask.

I like the above posts that mention divine intervention.

chettt
01-10-2010, 09:36 AM
Cash! Lots of cash. Shortstop, leftfielder, pitching for a start. Cash mainly to be able to retain Votto, Bailey, Bruce and all the other youngers when their time comes.

Vottomatic
01-10-2010, 10:22 PM
All my solutions involve spending money.

Our major league roster is pretty much decided already albeit a with a few players to determine their fate with their spring training play - namely Heisey and Francisco.

We need to shore up SS and it wouldn't hurt to shore up our offense. My solutions are multiple:
1. Sign Tejada, move him to 2B and move BP to SS. Improves offense and defense would still be good.
2. Or trade for Hanley Ramirez or Jose Reyes. We have the prospects to get this done. But this adds payroll.

I wish we could just keep Harang and Arroyo one more year and then if we still want to get rid of them, trade them or buy them out ($2M option). Harang and Arroyo's contracts are essentially up after this year. Cordero's is up after 2 more seasons. BP's is up in a couple more seasons. Why not see where this team goes next year and just keep the payroll where it is?