PDA

View Full Version : Manager after Dusty Baker?

vottofan4life
01-01-2010, 03:38 PM
I believe Rick Sweet should be the successor to Dusty Baker hopefully sooner than later since he knows most of these guys on the team and he has been very successful down in Louisville. But you know what happened last time we got a minor league coach ended up being the Dave Miley...Any other thoughts who should be the next manager?

Redsfan320
01-01-2010, 03:42 PM
I would like Sweet here also. We're building a team with a lot of homegrown guys, so Sweet knows them all, and it seems like he works with players very well.
He also just seems like a nice guy: you know what I mean if you've seen of the Reds Live Tech Talk segments with him in them.

redsfanmia
01-01-2010, 03:49 PM
I say they hire someone who works cheap. I think Dave Miley would be a good choice.

Farnsie
01-01-2010, 03:54 PM
I'm satisfied as long as Dusty's not back. Altough I like the idea of Rick Sweet so he gets my vote.

BEETTLEBUG
01-01-2010, 03:55 PM
I voted for Rick Sweet cause he knows all the players and he won with them but I also think Ron Oester would be good option.

SanDiegoRed
01-01-2010, 04:18 PM
ABD Anybody but Dusty...

SanDiegoRed
01-01-2010, 04:19 PM
ABD That would be Anybody but Dusty...:eek:

DannyB
01-01-2010, 04:19 PM
I believe Rick Sweet should be the successor to Dusty Baker hopefully sooner than later since he knows most of these guys on the team and he has been very successful down in Louisville. But you know what happened last time we got a minor league coach ended up being the Dave Miley...Any other thoughts who should be the next manager?

I thought the same thing about Dave Miley.

redleg40
01-01-2010, 04:39 PM
I would like for Barry Larkin to be named bench coach and Eric Davis hitting coach now and being groomed to take over for Dusty when they can finally get rid of him.

Redsfan320
01-01-2010, 04:41 PM
I would like for Barry Larkin to be named bench coach and Eric Davis hitting coach now and being groomed to take over for Dusty when they can finally get rid of him.

That's an interesting idea. I wouldn't mind giving Larkin a shot at the job.

Vottomatic
01-01-2010, 06:22 PM
Dusty won't get fired. If they aren't contending, they'll let him finish the season and pay him the rest of his contract instead of paying him and adding the cost of another manager.

If they do contend, it presents a whole new problem. I still think they will let him go after next season due to "philosophical differences" unless he miraculously wins it all.

Then I definitely see Rick Sweet hired for the simple 2 reasons of knowing most of these players and saving the organization money since it will be his first mlb coaching gig.

BigPoppa
01-01-2010, 07:41 PM
I'm down with Larkin and plugging E.D. in somewhere. I've also advocated "reassigning" Jacoby for a while now, and replacing him with Sean Casey.

chettt
01-01-2010, 08:01 PM
Baker will stay through his current contract. The Reds aren't going to pay two managers. I say Sweet is next in line - only because he will be cheaper. It's all about the money.

flash
01-01-2010, 09:00 PM
Baker will stay through his current contract. The Reds aren't going to pay two managers. I say Sweet is next in line - only because he will be cheaper. It's all about the money.

I agree. I think the only way Dusty will stay is if he takes the tean to the Series. Even then it is a hard sell in this economy. It will be best also because Rolen can't go two years without getting mad at his manager. Rolen will have some issue with Baker before the season is over. And Baker is not LaRussa. Then when Rolen throws his second fit he'll be gone and Francisco will be the third baseman. There is no way Rolen makes it through his contract.

Besides it will be evident that Dusty had little to do with the build up of this team. In fact he may have held it back some. Harang has really suffered under him and Pole along with Arroyo. Cueto' s sevelopment has been held back. Judging from comments at the time, I really don't think Pole liked having Soto around. Bailey's development was also slow. The fact that September call-ups have been orced into action and played well does not look good for Baker. It makes one wonder why these guys were not up earlier. Think Taveras, Patterson, and Bako. I have criticized Jockerty, but he did bring in Masset and Rolen, then reduced Rolen's salary. But the contracts for Lincoln, Taveras and Phillips were somewhat out of line.

Red in Atl
01-02-2010, 01:00 AM
Pete McKannin...

Trace's Daddy
01-02-2010, 10:48 AM
Tony Perez

Newport Red
01-02-2010, 12:44 PM
Pete McKannin...

I'm a fan of Mackanin. I'd take Rick Sweet as well. Dusty, and if Dusty get fired, LaRussa are luxuries. You are paying them for what they have done in the past and hoping they can duplicate that past success.

If the Reds want to build the major league squad through their farm system, they need to invest that extra money in successful scouts and minor league instructors.

How many wins did Dusty gain in 2009 that Mackanin or Sweet wouldn't. It's pretty much a function of talent. (I do admire how he handled the Votto situation)

Pay market value for someone who has earned the right to manage in the Majors that has a history of success in the minors.

vottofan4life
01-02-2010, 01:16 PM
I'd forgotten that Lou's contract is up after this season for the Cubs...Just another thought...he actually came to Redsfest

KiefMoon
01-11-2010, 03:57 AM
Who should it be? Davey Johnson. He has the know how to handle young kids on the verge and veterans. Hes proved it many times over.

Oh any one that wants Rolen off this team has no clue how to build a winning club. Feel like Im beating a dead horse on that one but still a lot of people here that dont know their Reds history. PS Larkin is NOT a leader, 2000 proved that.

Vottomatic
01-11-2010, 09:36 AM
This organization is becoming all about youth and cutting costs. Rick Sweet will be the next manager. And he has coached all these guys before anyway. It only makes sense.

Kingspoint
01-11-2010, 07:57 PM
After I voted, only 17% thought that Baker would keep his job and get an extension. While the thought of that scares me to death, I voted on it because I see nothing from Castellini that's changed my mind that he doesn't want to continue to travel the social circles with baseball's elite. His ego too huge to "not" give Baker an extension, and it's only Baker who will choose to part ways, not the other way around. Production has nothing to do with it, as we've obviously seen already many times.