PDA

View Full Version : Cards ink Holliday for $17M per season over 7 years.

Kingspoint
01-05-2010, 08:13 PM
And the REDS sign.....

Josh Anderson to a minor league contract.

Anderson receives an invite to spring training. The former Astros prospect hit .240/.276/.304 in 118 games for the Tigers and Royals last season. He can play all three outfield positions and will have a decent chance of cracking Cincinnati's roster out of spring training.

Print those playoff tickets now.....for the Cardinals.

Vottomatic
01-05-2010, 10:13 PM
Meh.........Holliday will have a season ending injury in April and this will all just be a waste of money. ;)

mattfeet
01-06-2010, 10:58 AM
Why does all of RZ get so upset about these minor-league signings? The kid has potential to be decent, and we all know he's likely better than our all-star CF (Taveras) just by being alive. This is a decent boost in our farm system, and gives a local kid the chance to play close to home. It's not like we signed an A ball player for a 5million/yr contract.

-Matt

swaisuc
01-06-2010, 12:10 PM
Why does all of RZ get so upset about these minor-league signings? The kid has potential to be decent, and we all know he's likely better than our all-star CF (Taveras) just by being alive. This is a decent boost in our farm system, and gives a local kid the chance to play close to home. It's not like we signed an A ball player for a 5million/yr contract.

-Matt

I realize Kings was just making a joke here, but I'm with you. Hitting on a few low-risk high reward chances is one of the few ways that a small market team can help narrow the cap in the baseball economy. Besides, the Reds have a decent track record of making some of these work.

Would I rather have Holliday than Anderson? Of course.
But honestly, signing Anderson to a minor league deal makes a heck of a lot more sense for the Reds than signing Holliday to a 17M per season deal would have.

Red in Atl
01-06-2010, 01:11 PM
It's just a timing joke really. We should be used to other clubs making big signings while we "stock up" our minor league system.

The bigger picture here is that no one else wanted Holiday at that price. Tells me a lot.

I've never wanted him that bad, as I always thought he was another product of Coors Field. I think the Cards way overpaid for him, and he will be the straw that breaks the cards lock on the division.

BTW, what is Albert the Great paid right now per year? If they pay Holliday one penny more than Albert, it's pure insanity.

Kingspoint
01-06-2010, 05:59 PM
Yes. It was just a timing joke.

If we can't laugh at the REDS, it will end up being frustrating, at best.

Carolina Red
01-06-2010, 10:26 PM
I actually like this signing. This signing coupled with the King's ransom Prince Albert will command next year makes me think think the Cards will have little flexibility to sign quality free agents and keep other valuable veterans over the next several years. It takes an entire team including a great pitching staff to win and I think the Cards will suffer from this in the long run.

BruiserUD
01-10-2010, 11:59 AM
My question is, with the Cards dropping that kind of money on Holliday will they even be able to afford Pujols? With his free agency looming on the horizon, if he puts up numbers again like he has every other year of his career what kind of contract will he want?? Are we talking more money than A-Rod got? If so, that would completely cripple the Cards ability to sign anyone else of real value unless they decide to add a bunch of money to their payroll. Definately a good story to keep in mind as the season plays out.