PDA

View Full Version : Reds got Chapman

Redsfan320
01-10-2010, 01:45 PM
Per ORG, per yahoo!.

This deserves a thread of its own!

Non-stop Delta flight left FLL for Cincinnati at 9:20 this morning. Another source said $30 million deal is for five years.

2 minutes ago from web Narrowed it down: It's an NL Central team. Cincinnati making more and more sense. Reds "going after him like crazy," team source said.

4 minutes ago from web Cuban LHP Aroldis Chapman agrees to $30M deal with National League team, according to source. Left Ft. Lauderdale airport this a.m. to sign.

http://twitter.com/jeffpassan

If they signed him, things are gonna get very interesting.

Harang or Bronson will have to go, to make room on the payroll.

wojo1025
01-10-2010, 01:54 PM
On January 10, 2010, the Cincinnati Reds signed Aroldis Chapman to a 5 year, $30,000,000 contract. This is the latest of signings for the Cincinnati Reds in the Latin American market.

From Chapman's Wiki page

markymark69
01-10-2010, 01:57 PM
If true. I think we know where Scott Rolen's differed money went to.

mattfeet
01-10-2010, 02:03 PM
OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG!!!!

SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO stoked!!!!

Orodle
01-10-2010, 02:04 PM
On January 10, 2010, the Cincinnati Reds signed Aroldis Chapman to a 5 year, $30,000,000 contract. This is the latest of signings for the Cincinnati Reds in the Latin American market.

From Chapman's Wiki page

where on his wiki?

also that guy tweeting it has only had like 3 tweets ever....sounds fishy to me

Redsfan320
01-10-2010, 02:10 PM
SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO stoked!!!!

I don't know. He looks good, but keep in mind he's never pitched an inning in the majors. This is really a risky move.

mattfeet
01-10-2010, 02:14 PM
I don't know. He looks good, but keep in mind he's never pitched an inning in the majors. This is really a risky move.

But his upside is nothing we've had the privilege of being a part of in recent years. The Reds are making a risky move on an unproven major league talent. However, the Reds ARE making a move. We're taking a gamble. That alone is something worthy of praise.

-Matt

wojo1025
01-10-2010, 02:16 PM
where on his wiki?

also that guy tweeting it has only had like 3 tweets ever....sounds fishy to me

It's since been removed....

robmadden1
01-10-2010, 02:23 PM
Aroldis Chapman Agrees To $30MM Deal: http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2010/01/aroldis-chapman-agrees-to-30mm-deal.html

JohnnyBench
01-10-2010, 02:27 PM

I'm alright with risky. It's about time we got risky.

redhawk61
01-10-2010, 02:42 PM
2012 Rotation in no particular order

Volquez
Cueto
Chapman
Bailey
Leake
:eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:

Farnsie
01-10-2010, 02:55 PM
I think I just had a minor heartattack. Nice too see a move made. Especially since it's a guy with this much potential.

Farnsie
01-10-2010, 02:56 PM
2012 Rotation in no particular order

Volquez
Cueto
Chapman
Bailey
Leake
:eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:

That's one Awesome rotation... Hopefully!

mattfeet
01-10-2010, 02:57 PM
Deal confirmed!!!!!!!!!!!!!!: http://twitter.com/JeffPassan/status/7602568341

FlightRick
01-10-2010, 02:58 PM
That may well be our 2011 rotation (in no particular order)... but you're right: it's in 2012 that that rotation (in no particular order) ought to be solidified and mature enough to strike fear in the hearts of any opponent.

Now, let's hear that the Coresponding Roster Move (to make room for Chapman on the 40-man) be waiving Taveras, and this will be the greatest day in Reds off-season history...

Rick

laxtonto
01-10-2010, 03:02 PM
Not a great move. Overpaid for a guy that may or may not ever make it to the majors. Most are not even sure he can become a starter and instead might profile as a reliever due to his control issues.

Great arm, no control of his FB. Great slider that he has off and on control of.

Is it worth 5M a year for 6 years a middle reliever that will spend at a minimum of a year in the minors and more likely 2?

Cant Touch This
01-10-2010, 03:10 PM
Not a great move. Overpaid for a guy that may or may not ever make it to the majors. Most are not even sure he can become a starter and instead might profile as a reliever due to his control issues.

Great arm, no control of his FB. Great slider that he has off and on control of.

Is it worth 5M a year for 6 years a middle reliever that will spend at a minimum of a year in the minors and more likely 2?

Here's where Mario Soto makes his money.

MBZags
01-10-2010, 03:12 PM
I, admittedly, know nothing about mechanics, but this quote from a scouting report kind of scares me: "Freeze frame him and it looks like his elbow will snap off."

mattfeet
01-10-2010, 03:13 PM

If people never made risky moves, baseball would be a huge snoozefest.

This is an OUTSTANDING risk, and even if he just turns into a solid MOR guy, 6mil/yr for that type of pitcher is STILL a great deal.

-Matt

mattfeet
01-10-2010, 03:15 PM
Who would you rather have?

Choice A.) A proven MOR guy who won't blow your socks off, but isn't terrible either.
Cost: 6mil/yr

Choice B.) A young talent that will likely NOT dip below a MOR pitcher, but has the potential to be a very dominant TOR pitcher
Cost: 6mil/yr

B. Please.

mattfeet
01-10-2010, 03:17 PM
Holy cow! This could become a 10 year deal?!

From Fay -"Please welcome me back from furlough.

The Reds are, indeed, talking to Cuban left-hander Aroldis Chapman. I’ve got a call into Walt Jocketty but haven’t heard back.

The Reds are close to wrapping the deal up. It could be for as long as 10 years.

I’ll update if I find out more.

Chapman, 22, pitched for Cuban National team in the World Baseball Classic."

markymark69
01-10-2010, 03:28 PM

Some people you just can't please no matter you do. If they do nothing you gripe. If they do something you gripe. If they take a gamble you gripe. Please make up your mind. The Yanks and Red Sox would love to have this guy, but when you have stratospheric payrolls like they do, they just can't afford it.

If the market is set in the 30-plus million range, which it appears to be, how is that overpaying, if that what the market demands?

cbowen2112
01-10-2010, 03:38 PM
Twice the price of Strasbug. I hope he is as dominant.

2011 is the year IMO.

laxtonto
01-10-2010, 03:43 PM
Some people you just can't please no matter you do. If they do nothing you gripe. If they do something you gripe. If they take a gamble you gripe. Please make up your mind. The Yanks and Red Sox would love to have this guy, but when you have stratospheric payrolls like they do, they just can't afford it.

If the market is set in the 30-plus million range, which it appears to be, how is that overpaying, if that what the market demands?

5M per for 6 years is overpaying for a guy that more than likely profiles as reliever. If they are willing to drop 5M per for 6 years into the LA market instead would be an infinitely smarter move.

If it moves to a 30M for 10 move it will be more reasonable due to the mitigation of risk. The problem with this deal is that it is putting all the eggs in one basket so to speak. I have no problem with investing in international talent, but with the limited budget we constantly hear about why not spread the risk vs. reward factor out?

Investing an extra 5M a year in the draft or Latin America would have a much greater value longterm than any one player, especially one with questions to his pitching arsenal and attitude.

Orodle
01-10-2010, 03:49 PM
I, admittedly, know nothing about mechanics, but this quote from a scouting report kind of scares me: "Freeze frame him and it looks like his elbow will snap off."

Freeze any pitcher that throws 95+ and your gunna see this. Especially Nolan Ryan stills.....and he was throwing 95 at 45 years of age.

Revering4Blue
01-10-2010, 03:52 PM
Source: Chapman close to MLB deal

Cuban defector Aroldis Chapman appears to be closing in on an agreement to play with the Cincinnati Reds, though his agent said that no deal is complete.

One source told ESPN The Magazine's Jorge Arangure that the Reds will sign Chapman, a coveted left-handed pitcher, to a deal believed to be worth $30 million over five years.

Chapman's representatives said Sunday afternoon that the deal is not done and would not confirm the team, but did say the Reds are "possible."

"We have to wait still," agent Rodney Fernandez wrote to ESPN The Magazine in a text message in regards to a possible deal with the Reds. "It's possible. We'll see."

Yahoo! Sports and MLB.com reported Sunday that sources told each that Chapman would sign with the Reds.

Reports earlier last week had the Boston Red Sox and Los Angeles Angels in the bidding for Chapman.

Chapman attended a Yankees playoff game in New York and also visited Red Sox officials in Fenway Park while he was still represented by his previous agent, Edwin Mejia. Last month, Chapman held a workout in Houston attended by more than a dozen teams, including the Red Sox, who have scouted him extensively in international play.

He was also being courted by the Toronto Blue Jays and Florida Marlins, though the Miami Herald reported last week that the Marlins would drop out of the bidding if the price exceeded $20 million.

Chapman, 22, was a sensation pitching for the Cuban national team in last spring's World Baseball Classic, with a fastball that topped 100 mph, but some officials have expressed concerns about his control.

"He's the real deal,'' one scout told ESPNBoston.com on Thursday. "He's a real good athlete. When he was pitching for Cuba, it was almost like he was a reliever when he was starting, told to throw as hard as he could for as long as he could.

"He's not ready for the big leagues yet, but he has a fabulous arm. His slider is going to be a plus pitch, and though he has no feel yet for the changeup, his arm action is good and that could come with time.''

My take: :thumbup:

Kudos to the Reds FO for actually acting proactively for a change. The time to sign/trade for an ace is before said pitcher becomes an ace.

Mission accomplished.

Cigar2
01-10-2010, 03:56 PM
WOW!!! Is all I have to say!

FlyerFanatic
01-10-2010, 03:59 PM
gotta say, i gotta wait to see espn or buster or someone says its official. heck even a reds statement i might have to wait for. i dont wanna get my hopes up only to have em shattered

Krawhitham
01-10-2010, 04:27 PM
If true. I think we know where Scott Rolen's differed money went to.

In a bank account as per MLB rules

IrishDavidKY
01-10-2010, 04:38 PM
Risky move, but I'm curious who goes to free up the money... Harang?

HalMorrisRules
01-10-2010, 04:54 PM
Here are some things I found in a quick jaunt around the interwebs.

Keith Law had him as the #5 Free Agent this offseason.

Buster Olney writes that some are comparing him to a young Randy Johnson:

One group of talent evaluators believes Chapman is an extraordinarily gifted pitcher, with the kind of skill set you see once in a generation. Some compare his arm to that of Randy Johnson, and they're in awe of what he could become. And while they acknowledge there are questions about his command and his maturity, some raise the R.J. comparison again. "Where was Randy Johnson when he was that age?" asked one scout rhetorically. "He is still a very young pitcher and he needs time."

To review, Johnson made his major league debut at age 24, logged his first season of double-digit win totals at age 26. He led the American League in walks for three consecutive seasons. It wasn't until he was 29 that Johnson corralled his control issues; in 1993 (the year he threw over the head of John Kruk at the All-Star Game), Johnson struck out 308 and walked 99, and he went on to win five Cy Youngs. At age 21, he was raw, but greatness was possible because of his tool set.

And this is from a Red Sox blog after he worked out a few weeks ago:

According to ESPN's Jorge Arangure Jr., he was very impressive, seeming in shape and ready to pitch and showing no obvious issues with his makeup on the mound, having made some mechanical changes from his pitching in the past. His fastballs generally were around 92-93 mph and topped out at 96, as well as demonstrating a slider and a changeup. All of this, of course, was without a batter, which can always change everything.

Finally, look at these videos on YouTube. The first is an interview with him and the second is from the WBC. Check out the pitch at the 3:00 mark in the second video.

You Tube #1 (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N5Bv9JhT2YE)

You Tube #2 (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZE0iQmsFSms&NR=1)

redsfanmia
01-10-2010, 04:55 PM
Nice move, probably over paid but if the guy can throw 100+ it's all good. I like the foundation of Volquez, Cueto, Bailey, Chapman and Leake, that is a nice stable of young arms.

cbowen2112
01-10-2010, 04:57 PM

He would be my guess. Another question. Will he start going into the regular season? I would hope with that kind of money.

HalMorrisRules
01-10-2010, 04:58 PM
John Fay (http://cincinnati.com/blogs/reds/2010/01/10/chapman-deal-confimed/)

Fay says it is a six year deal paid out over ten years.

cbowen2112
01-10-2010, 05:01 PM
http://cincinnati.com/blogs/reds/2010/01/10/chapman-deal-confimed/

Fay says the money will spread out over 10 years possible.

Press Conference tomorrow!

That said. This is one of the best days of my life!

ILoveWilly
01-10-2010, 05:03 PM
Haven't posted since the offseason, but I think this is worthy of one. Great move, nice to see us finally do something during the offseason! And if we're trying to unload money, I hope we don't unless we get something legitimate in return. Harang will get it together if we give him time, then he would increase his trade value.

mroby85
01-10-2010, 05:35 PM
Very Nice!! I think we were more in need of offense, but this is more than I expected, and sounds like he has some definite potential. You guys think he will start the year in the rotation?

XU Lou
01-10-2010, 05:44 PM
Haven't posted in quite a while but this move certainly lends the opportunity.
Negatives:
As far as a FA signing the cost is about average but Chapman has no big league experience and probably isn't major league ready (at least as a starter).

That's it on the bad news, everything else related to this signing points to the positives:
He is 22 years old
Throws up to 100mph
Has a smooth delivery
A lefty
Contract spread over 10 years, therefore budget hit is relatively light
Signed up to 6 years
Given his age, should retain trade value even if he doesn't pan (barring injury)
Provides pitching depth, allowing for trade flexibility.

SoTxRedsFan
01-10-2010, 05:46 PM
Just seeing the FO open up the pocketbooks after such a frustrating offseason is huge. Now if this guy reaches 75% of his hype this deal is a bargain. Great day to be a Reds' fan. GO REDS!

scott91575
01-10-2010, 05:50 PM
This is the kind of a thing a small market team has to do in order to compete. When you find a guy with huge upside, you sign him in hopes you get a deal. He could end up being better than $10 million pitchers. If the Reds went out and spent $6 million a year on a mlb free agent pitcher you get an average pitcher at best, and more than likely below average. That ensures you that your payroll will dictate your success - a below average payroll means a below average team. Yet if you go out and take risks, maybe you can have a team full of players that are overplaying their contracts. The first way is through the draft, of course. Yet the other way is paying for Latin American players, and outbidding the Red Sox, Yankees, and Angels of the world while you still can.

In other words, for the Reds, this is a great deal. He may end up being a bust, but I like the attitude the organization is taking. It's finally a logical approach to make a winner out of a small market team in a league without a salary cap. Anyone that hates this deal must like sub par baseball and zero hope....aka Pandora's box fan.

cbowen2112
01-10-2010, 05:56 PM
http://cincinnati.com/blogs/reds/2010/01/10/chapman-details/

Here is the details per Fay

cbowen2112
01-10-2010, 06:01 PM
Oh can someone take off the question mark on the original title!

FlyerFanatic
01-10-2010, 06:11 PM
is the presser gonna be online tommorow?

wojo1025
01-10-2010, 06:11 PM
Spreading the money out over 10 years? That is amazing. Kudos to Jocketty for going out and getting this done. This team has an exciting future, that's for sure!

HalMorrisRules
01-10-2010, 06:16 PM
http://cincinnati.com/blogs/reds/2010/01/10/chapman-details/

Here is the details per Fay

The big thing in that article, if true, is this year's salary will only be $1M. That way if he has to go to the minors, he wont be affecting the major league team that much by hamstringing their salary structure.

XU Lou
01-10-2010, 06:50 PM
The pay structure is sweet. The major hit to payroll is in 2014, by that time the Reds will sell out everygame since they will all be shutouts:beerme:

Vottomatic
01-10-2010, 06:53 PM
I don't really care what other people think. There are 2 scouting camps. The negative ones that think he's wild and the positive ones that think he will be dominant. Randy Johnson was wild at 22 years old.

I saw a long YouTube video of him pitching a game in the WBC, and where in the world did scouts come up thinking he's wild??????? Looked very much in control to me hitting 99 mph at times and dropping in changeups that just buckled players knees. Also saw a very solid curve too.

Scouts are nuts.

Now, I'm not projecting him as a starter this year. I think they stick him in the minors and see if he's unhittable and fast track him through each level if he's really that good.

Ghosts of 1990
01-10-2010, 07:02 PM
I'm ecstatic! This is tremendous. I wonder where he fits into the 2010 rotation?

I also wonder if this makes us a legitimate darkhorse in the central/NL in general?

Biggest move since the Griffey trade.

UPRedsFan
01-10-2010, 08:43 PM
Trade Arroyo now for a ML ready ss or a proven left fielder

Imagine Volquez coming back in August and Chapman getting called up in August. It could be a very exciting final 2 months of the season!!!

mdccclxix
01-10-2010, 08:46 PM
I'm ecstatic! This is tremendous. I wonder where he fits into the 2010 rotation?

I also wonder if this makes us a legitimate darkhorse in the central/NL in general?

Biggest move since the Griffey trade.

Interesting point. You might be right.

flash
01-10-2010, 08:49 PM
I was going to post a new thread for this, but I decided to just keep it here because I could be way off base. (forgive the pun).

Did Tony Perez have anything to do with the signing? I saw him and Johnny Bench in the picture with Barry Larkin, and I remember being surprised. (Does Tony still work for the Marlins?)

Anyway, being curious as I am, and knowing what a big deal was made during the 75 Seres of how Luis Tiant's parents were granted permission to leave the island for the series. I wondered then as I wonder now why Perez's parents weren't given the same treatment. Of course, Tiant's father was a big time baseball star in Cuba who may have supported the Revolution while Perez's father was a sugar-cane worker. I looked briefly online about Perez's parents and could find nothing.

Perez's departure from Cuba was also interesting. He supposingly was signed by the Reds in May of 59, given $2.50 and a plane ticket to the US. I also could not find any record of him ever returning to Cuba. It was pointed out that the signing and departure was rude treatment by the Reds. Maybe the Reds felt the need to get him off the island as quietly as possible. Te same month that he came to the United States I believe Castro nationalized the sugar plantations. Coincience or not, I don't know.

I know Ardoldis failed to escape Castro in his first attempt. I have to wonder if Perez helped him escape in the Netherlands or aided him in getting his paperwork together. I know that Perez was born in Cielo de Avila, but I could not find a birthplace for Ardoldis. So if there was a relationship between families or friends, I couldn't find it.

I guess we will never know, Kinda makes you wonder though.

Tony Perez, only black manager, (Oops, can't be black and speak Spanish as your native tongue.) only Hispanic manager ever hired by a racist, then fired by a politically correct GM his first week on the job.

mdccclxix
01-10-2010, 09:13 PM
Great read flash, you may not be too far off base.

Zimmers
01-10-2010, 09:14 PM
Wow just wow. Anyone who hates needs to have their head examined. If i was a stros fan i would be upset that they got brett myers. 22 lhander throws a 100 or a one season wonder and often injured. Oustanding

FlyerFanatic
01-10-2010, 09:34 PM
olney says in a tweet, oakland came in 2nd for chapman. weird, figured it would have been a bigger market team

cinredsfan2000
01-10-2010, 09:49 PM
Nice to see walt do something and not overspend like the Red Sox and pay someone like John lackey $82.5 million over five years,

Kingspoint
01-10-2010, 10:02 PM
Wow!

I didn't see that coming.

I'm used to fluff and talk coming out of Cincy, but no substance.

Way to go, Walt! That makes up for the Rolen/Stewart-Roenicke fiasco.

goreds2
01-10-2010, 10:21 PM
Nice sign. Hopefully, the Reds will televise each game he starts in Spring Training. :thumbup:

Orodle
01-10-2010, 10:56 PM
I don't really care what other people think. There are 2 scouting camps. The negative ones that think he's wild and the positive ones that think he will be dominant. Randy Johnson was wild at 22 years old.

I saw a long YouTube video of him pitching a game in the WBC, and where in the world did scouts come up thinking he's wild??????? Looked very much in control to me hitting 99 mph at times and dropping in changeups that just buckled players knees. Also saw a very solid curve too.

Scouts are nuts.

Now, I'm not projecting him as a starter this year. I think they stick him in the minors and see if he's unhittable and fast track him through each level if he's really that good.

from the youtube videos i saw of him he was "wild in the strike zone" especially with his breaking stuff.

Griffey012
01-10-2010, 11:26 PM
The pay structure is great. There is nothing not to like about this deal. You just dont get 22 year old lefties that throw mid to high 90's with a sharp plus slider. These guys come around once every 20 years for most teams. Now not all of these guys pan out, and Chapman may not. However he has international experience on the Cuban national team, which is a big step up for high school or college talent.

He will dominate in the minors, like Bailey did because of his hard stuff. Hopefully it will translate to the majors faster than Bailey.

All in all great pickup, this seems like the perfect move for the long term and it may even reap benefits for this season.

George Foster
01-11-2010, 12:34 AM
We still need offense. It sucks to waste good pitching in a 3-1 loss. It sucks to watch those types of games as well. With that being said, this was a big "get" for the reds and sends a signal that they seriously want to win.
We need a hitting SS just as bad!

cbowen2112
01-11-2010, 01:03 AM
from the youtube videos i saw of him he was "wild in the strike zone" especially with his breaking stuff.

Seriously, that is what you got from his post?

cbowen2112
01-11-2010, 01:19 AM
Per Fay's Blog:

AROLDIS CHAPMAN: WHAT THEY’RE SAYING
“He’s the real deal”

There is debate in baseball circles about Chapman’s readiness to pitch in the big leagues. … What isn’t in dispute is his raw ability; he regularly touches 100 mph with his fastball and complements the pitch with a mid-80s slider.

“He’s the real deal,” a scout told ESPNBoston.com last week. “He’s not ready for the big leagues yet, but he has a fabulous arm. His slider is going to be a plus pitch, and though he has no feel yet for the changeup, his arm action is good, and that could come with time.”

- The Sporting News
Reds liken Chapman to a young Randy Johnson

The 6-foot-4, 205-pound lefthander allayed some of concerns about his control at a Dec. 15 workout in Houston where he threw roughly 45 pitches with markedly better control, according to one MLB scout who was present.

A source familiar with the Reds says Cincinnati was not overly concerned with Chapman’s control issues — he registered 5.37 walks per nine-innings in Cuba — and said that the Reds likened him to a young Randy Johnson, who also needed time to harness his left-handed power before progressing to a Cy Young Award winning career. Though some scouting reports project Chapman as a reliever, the Reds are said to consider him a starter, like Johnson.

Some teams expressed concerns about Chapman’s maturity and makeup, but SI.com sources say the Reds felt comfortable with Chapman.

SI.com
Agent: Good deal for Reds

While some in the industry have reservations about Chapman’s maturity, one player agent (who was not involved in the negotiations) believes that the team took a sensible risk by signing him.

As a small-market club, the Reds can’t often compete for the highest-priced major league free agents each offseason. And Chapman has the power repertoire that should enable him to succeed at hitter-friendly Great American Ballpark.

“(International scouting) is one area where you can inject talent to your organization at a discount,” the agent said. “If Chapman ends up being a front-of-the-rotation guy in the near future, it’s a bargain. They can’t afford that type of guy otherwise.

“They’ve got really good international scouts, and they’ve invested on the international side.”

Foxsports.com
Agent switch helped Chapman

Cincinnati, which could shed almost $20 million from its payroll after this year by declining options for Aaron Harang and Bronson Arroyo, stepped up at the end by offering only $2 million less than Jose Contreras received when he defected.

The increased interest coincided with Chapman firing Edwin Mejia, a fledgling agent who helped him establish residency in Andorra after he defected from the Cuban national team over the summer. His new agents, Randy and Alan Hendricks, are well-respected around baseball, and officials said they appreciated the transparency the Hendrickses applied to Chapman.

Jeff Passan, Yahoo! Sports
Concern since big-market teams withdrew

FanHouse’s source described him as a “tremendous talent” with three plus pitches at the time of the workout.

There does, however, seem to be some division about how much he’ll be able to harness that stuff and translate it into success in the majors. Clearly the Reds feel he is extremely valuable, but the apparent withdrawal of big-market teams like the Red Sox, Yankees and Angels in recent weeks might be cause for concern.

As for Cincinnati, this amounts to an enormous gamble.

General manager Walt Jocketty told Fanhouse he would probably have to slash payroll at the GM Meetings in November, and with $6 million a year now tied up in Chapman, an almost complete unknown, the Reds may once again have to revisit trade talks for one or several of their highest-paid players like Brandon Phillips, Bronson Arroyo, Aaron Harang or Francisco Cordero.

- FanHouse

http://cincinnati.com/blogs/reds/2010/01/10/what-the-press-is-saying-about-aroldis-chapman/

cbowen2112
01-11-2010, 01:20 AM
The Reds will have a press conference tomorrow at noon.

Per Fay.

This is amazing.:cool:

yab1112
01-11-2010, 01:23 AM
Wow! This is such a great move! Yes, there's some risk but how else can a small market team like the Reds hope to compete?

This is the perfect news after coming off a Bengals playoff loss. Now-when do pitchers and catchers report?:thumbup:

Brandon4MVP
01-11-2010, 08:50 AM
The Reds will have a press conference tomorrow at noon.

Per Fay.

This is amazing.:cool:

Where do they do the press conference at GAPB?

Vottomatic
01-11-2010, 09:34 AM

You watched the wrong YouTube video then. :D

TheBigLebowski
01-11-2010, 10:21 AM
Talk about out of left field...this is awesome and completely unexpected.

BLEEDS
01-11-2010, 10:39 AM

It's "only" $6M per year. Realistically, that's peanuts, and can be fit in with a restructure or two, IFF they even thought they needed it after the Rolen signing.

What it says to me is - you can erase the pencil lead, and get out the ink - BP will NOT be playing for the Reds in 2011. No way we can pay our 2B-man $12M.

I think they look to package Harang/Arroyo with Alonso/BP at some point here in the near future.

I think we trade for a "little" salary relief - say in the neighborhood of $6M or so - and pick up a SS.
I think the Mets are a possible trade partner, as they want to get rid of Reyes.

I'm just BLOWN AWAY that we are making such a bold move. Kudos to Jockety for this.

And a LEFTY to boot - NICE!

PEACE

-BLEEDS

BLEEDS
01-11-2010, 10:43 AM
Haven't posted since the offseason, but I think this is worthy of one. Great move, nice to see us finally do something during the offseason! And if we're trying to unload money, I hope we don't unless we get something legitimate in return. Harang will get it together if we give him time, then he would increase his trade value.

With your sig name, I wouldn't post either!!! :p:

I'd request the mods and see if you can get a new moniker!!

PEACE

-BLEEDS

BigPoppa
01-11-2010, 10:45 AM
Slightly off topic ..................is Chapman a common surname in Cuba ?

BLEEDS
01-11-2010, 10:50 AM
Edit - after seeing it's paid over 10 years, it's even better - although as many have noted, when you "defer" payments, it's actually put in a bank account so you really have spent it already.

PEACE

-BLEEDS

BoldOD
01-11-2010, 10:55 AM
I really like this signing. Says a great deal about front office etc. I am not terribly concerned with maturity (takes a man to leave everything he has ever known behind for a better life). It is just funny how this is getting (currently) zero press. If this was a Yankee or Red Sox signing it would be all over the major news outlets.

fugowitribe
01-11-2010, 10:57 AM
Per Fay's Blog:

AROLDIS CHAPMAN: WHAT THEY’RE SAYING
“He’s the real deal”

“He’s the real deal,” a scout told ESPNBoston.com last week. “He’s not ready for the big leagues yet, but he has a fabulous arm. His slider is going to be a plus pitch, and though he has no feel yet for the changeup, his arm action is good, and that could come with time.”

http://cincinnati.com/blogs/reds/2010/01/10/what-the-press-is-saying-about-aroldis-chapman/

So as a student at Ohio State, any chances he starts off in Louisville and gives me a chance to see him throw in April at Huntington Park? I don't really know how the level of minor leagues is determined when it comes to placing a kid, but man it would be nice to see him when Louisville comes to play the Clippers sometime. I wouldn't mind traveling to Cincinnati to see his major league debut in April either.

Redsfan320
01-11-2010, 12:15 PM
He was given a #54 jersey at the press conference. Was last worn '08 by Jolbert Cabrera, a backup SS.

He had a translator with him at the conference, so not very much (if any) English. Cueto, Volquez, Cordero, etc. etc. should be able to help out though.

Redsfan320
01-11-2010, 12:23 PM
Jocketty doesn't know if he'll start in the majors, but does expect him to start wherever he is.

BLEEDS
01-11-2010, 12:30 PM
Dude is TALL! No wonder he can whip it up to 100 MPH with a seemingly ridiculously SMOOTH delivery.

I'm so excited, I don't have words to describe it.

We SO needed a lefty in this rotation, and now we've signed the best LH prospect in 10/20+ years!

PEACE

-BLEEDS

BLEEDS
01-11-2010, 12:36 PM
You've got to have the feeling that our international presence, and all of the spanish speaking players we have, had a lot to do with him wanting to come here as well.

His attorney/agent guy said as much - he now has a Spanish speaking head coach, pitching coach, catcher, and about 9 other guys on the team who speak Spanish including Volquez and Cueto, who will be his mates for years to come.

Good to see we are getting some returns on our international investment. We really have one of the top ones in MLB. This is vital to getting some talent we wouldn't otherwise have a shot at.

PEACE

-BLEEDS

yab1112
01-11-2010, 12:41 PM
You've got to have the feeling that our international presence, and all of the spanish speaking players we have, had a lot to do with him wanting to come here as well.

His attorney/agent guy said as much - he now has a Spanish speaking head coach, pitching coach, catcher, and about 9 other guys on the team who speak Spanish including Volquez and Cueto, who will be his mates for years to come.

Hopefully this bodes well not just for getting these guys to Cincy but for keeping them here to. If there's an atmosphere here where these Latin players feel more comfortable, that could go a long way toward keeping them here when their contracts are up (especially if the Reds start winning :thumbup:).

FlyerFanatic
01-11-2010, 12:54 PM
are we sure the pitching coach speaks spanish? i was about to ask that question. i also wonder if rick sweet as well? hopefully he's up here next year, when they let dusty go *wishful thinking*

HalMorrisRules
01-11-2010, 12:55 PM
I was going to post a new thread for this, but I decided to just keep it here because I could be way off base. (forgive the pun).

Did Tony Perez have anything to do with the signing? I saw him and Johnny Bench in the picture with Barry Larkin, and I remember being surprised. (Does Tony still work for the Marlins?)

Anyway, being curious as I am, and knowing what a big deal was made during the 75 Seres of how Luis Tiant's parents were granted permission to leave the island for the series. I wondered then as I wonder now why Perez's parents weren't given the same treatment. Of course, Tiant's father was a big time baseball star in Cuba who may have supported the Revolution while Perez's father was a sugar-cane worker. I looked briefly online about Perez's parents and could find nothing.

Perez's departure from Cuba was also interesting. He supposingly was signed by the Reds in May of 59, given $2.50 and a plane ticket to the US. I also could not find any record of him ever returning to Cuba. It was pointed out that the signing and departure was rude treatment by the Reds. Maybe the Reds felt the need to get him off the island as quietly as possible. Te same month that he came to the United States I believe Castro nationalized the sugar plantations. Coincience or not, I don't know.

I know Ardoldis failed to escape Castro in his first attempt. I have to wonder if Perez helped him escape in the Netherlands or aided him in getting his paperwork together. I know that Perez was born in Cielo de Avila, but I could not find a birthplace for Ardoldis. So if there was a relationship between families or friends, I couldn't find it.

I guess we will never know, Kinda makes you wonder though.

Tony Perez, only black manager, (Oops, can't be black and speak Spanish as your native tongue.) only Hispanic manager ever hired by a racist, then fired by a politically correct GM his first week on the job.

Aroldis said he had no idea who Tony was.

FlyerFanatic
01-11-2010, 01:00 PM
man soto and price are gonna be working with him soon. thats awesome to hear. how giddy must price be right now? all these young arms. he's gotta be drooling

Redsfan320
01-11-2010, 01:08 PM
He's on the 40-man wearing #54 and listed as 6'4", 185 lb., lefty pitcher and hitter.

Also, everyone at the conference was pronouncing it " ar-ALL-dis", whereas I thought it was "ar-OL-dis"

BLEEDS
01-11-2010, 01:09 PM
Aroldis said he had no idea who Tony was.

Yeah, apparently Cuba doesn't let American baseball on TV, no internet either.

Also, the kid wasn't born yet when Tony was playing.

He didn't even know anything about any of the MLB teams.

Again, our presence in those areas are KEY to getting those guys to know who the Cincinnati Reds are.

PEACE

-BLEEDS

mdccclxix
01-11-2010, 01:32 PM
The Tony Perez theory wasn't bad, but it does turn out that Aroldis felt comfortable going to a place with Spanish speaking people from top to bottom.

Really neat to hear he'll be throwing with Ramon and Pryce really soon.

BruiserUD
01-11-2010, 04:01 PM
Great move for the Reds. Haven't been this excited for a season and the future in quite some time. The contract is def back loaded which gives them flexibility in the present and some of the money for the signing bonus gets to come out of the amateur signing fund. Shrewd way of using your resources to land a TOR potential guy for not that much money. Can't wait to see if he will be able to thrive when put in with the nucleous of Latin players we have. Season cant come soon enough!

bgwilly31
01-11-2010, 04:40 PM
Im not sure what to think about this. if the reds were the yankees and Gobs and gobs of money to spend. I probably love this. However we all know the reds are not. And to me this is kind of saying yeah the next 2 yrs at least are growing years. So prepare for more recent suckage.

DannyB
01-11-2010, 04:59 PM
Slightly off topic ..................is Chapman a common surname in Cuba ?

From Wikipedia:
Albertin Aroldis Chapman de la Cruz

BLEEDS
01-11-2010, 05:09 PM
Im not sure what to think about this. if the reds were the yankees and Gobs and gobs of money to spend. I probably love this. However we all know the reds are not. And to me this is kind of saying yeah the next 2 yrs at least are growing years. So prepare for more recent suckage.

Quite the opposite. We can't afford to compete with the Yankees and sign FA's in the market. But we can compete in the international spaces.

Basically, we just signed the best LH pitching prospect - think Steven Strausberg from the left side - and are paying him $5M per year. Do you know what kind of pitching you can get on the FA market for $5M per? Not a lot, and that comes with as much if not more risk given that those guys are usually on the peak or down-trend of their careers.

For reference, we are set to pay $4M for Wily Taveras this year. For $1M more (per year average) you get this stud pitching prospect.

We just WON a bidding war for a change, be grateful.

And, according to Walt, they expect him to hit the rotation soon - think Cueto of a few years back.
With Harang and Arroyo ready to come off the books in 2011, this is a ready for next year - if not sooner - for replacing them.

It's clearly a LT plan, but it's also a near-term one as well.

PEACE

-BLEEDS

FlyerFanatic
01-11-2010, 05:14 PM
i'm freaking geeked out right now. i cannot wait for soto and price to start working with this kid. on top of it, i cant wait to see price work with the entire staff. i think price is gonna do wonders for our young staff

foxfire123
01-11-2010, 07:11 PM
You'all seriously need to hear the Cardinals fans down here!

"He's got endurance issues" "he's an attitude problem" "He won't pan out, they're stupid" "he's never going to be anything but a reliever" etc, etc.

But, one of the guys who was popping off wouldn't give me an answer when I asked him "would you be saying this if the Cardinals signed him?" If the Cardinals signed him he'd have been the greatest thing since sliced bread.

Yeah, I hate St Louis.....

Red in Atl
01-11-2010, 11:32 PM
Yeah, I hate St Louis.....

here...here

:beerme:

oh yeah...screw macquire, im tired of hearing it and give the Reds some credit ESPN, you tools!

JKam
01-12-2010, 12:23 PM
I know we are all excited to see Chapman in the starting rotation, but before we pencil him, do we even know what his pitching history is in terms of IP per year? Is there a way to cobble some sort of estimate of how many IP he's had in the last couple of years? If his workload has been, say 90 IP, do we really want him in the rotation when he should theoretically only be pitching 110 innings this year?

bgwilly31
01-12-2010, 01:38 PM
Quite the opposite. We can't afford to compete with the Yankees and sign FA's in the market. But we can compete in the international spaces.

Basically, we just signed the best LH pitching prospect - think Steven Strausberg from the left side - and are paying him $5M per year. Do you know what kind of pitching you can get on the FA market for $5M per? Not a lot, and that comes with as much if not more risk given that those guys are usually on the peak or down-trend of their careers.

For reference, we are set to pay $4M for Wily Taveras this year. For $1M more (per year average) you get this stud pitching prospect.

We just WON a bidding war for a change, be grateful.

And, according to Walt, they expect him to hit the rotation soon - think Cueto of a few years back.
With Harang and Arroyo ready to come off the books in 2011, this is a ready for next year - if not sooner - for replacing them.

It's clearly a LT plan, but it's also a near-term one as well.

PEACE

-BLEEDS

Good point bleeds. When you break it down i guess its not THAT much money. But still what scares me is its probably going to be the biggest move we make this offseason. Which isnt a good thing for the next couple of years.

corwinator3407
01-12-2010, 01:40 PM
I am just as excited as it seems everyone else around here is about this move. I just hope everyone is still as excited if he grows and matures more like Homer has, over several years, and not in 1/2 a year like everyone is expecting. Given that he is older already, I'm just saying..

Can't wait to see him pitch.

texasdave
01-13-2010, 03:51 AM
From "free" Baseball Prospectus:

There's been another defection from the land of Castro. Aroldis Chapman is a 21-year-old Cuban emigré—and we're more certain about that than we are for most Cuban players—who walked out of a Dutch hotel in July while playing in a tournament. Given the likelihood of a bidding war as frenzied as the one involving Jose Contreras, he's someone you should have on your radar as a pitcher who may well attract as much interest as the top free agents available to your friendly neighborhood ballclub.

He's a bit of a stringbean at 6-foot-3 and 185 pounds, and he throws left-handed, which is always attractive, but what puts him truly over the top is that he throws 100 mph. Here are his actual stats in Cuba for the last four years:

Aroldis Chapman Born: 9/11/1987 Age: 21 Bats: L Throws: L Height: 6'3" Weight 185

Year Team Lge G GS IP H R ER HR BB K W L SV H/9 HR/9 BB/9 K/9 ERA PBRA
2006 Holguin CBA 15 15 54.0 48 33 26 5 54 56 3 5 0 8.0 0.8 9.0 9.3 4.52 5.19
2007 Holguin CBA 23 12 81.1 59 26 25 4 50 100 4 3 7 6.5 0.4 5.5 11.1 2.90 3.79
2008 Holguin CBA 16 16 74.0 55 36 32 3 37 79 6 7 0 6.7 0.4 4.5 9.6 3.49 3.05
2009 Holguin CBA 22 20 118.1 109 56 53 7 62 130 11 4 0 8.3 0.5 4.7 9.9 3.19 3.17-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Minors 66 63 327.2 271 151 136 19 203 365 24 19 7 7.4 0.5 5.6 10.0 3.74 3.81
That number on the right, PBRA, is a runs-allowed esimator called Pitcher Base-Run Average, and basically evaluates the pitcher's rate of runs allowed by accounting for everything he gives up or generates, interpreted to a league where the average runs-allowed mark is 4.50. The statistics are pretty impressive, but there is a big 'but' you need to know in evaluating them. Holguin is one of the 16 teams that forms Cuba's top league on an island with a population of about 11.5 million. That's only slightly larger than the Dominican Republic (9.5 million), and about the same size as Ohio. They may be baseball-crazy, but that's only about 1/14 the ratio between the US population and major leagues, (300 million for 30 teams), and ignores the fact that the US majors draw from more than just the US, and that many of the best players have left Cuba for the US. We would expect the level of play in the Cuban league to be lower than the US.

By comparing the statistics of players who have left Cuba and come to the US—such as Yuniesky Betancourt, Kendry Morales, and Alexei Ramirez—in terms what they've done there and then once they reach the majors, we can get a good idea of the level of play in Cuba. The changes in their statistics suggests that the Cuban level of play is similar to the Low-A leagues here in the US, so something like the South Atlantic or Midwest leagues.

Allowing for that level of play, here is what those stats translate to as far as a US major league line:
Aroldis Chapman Born: 9/11/1987 Age: 21 Bats: L Throws: L Height: 6'3" Weight 185

Year Team Lge G GS IP H ER HR BB K W L SV H/9 HR/9 BB/9 K/9 NERA PBRA
2006 Holguin CBA 15 15 47.1 54 53 19 64 45 1 4 0 10.3 3.6 12.2 8.6 8.75 11.31
2007 Holguin CBA 23 12 69.2 76 63 24 61 88 2 6 6 9.8 3.1 7.9 11.4 5.68 7.75
2008 Holguin CBA 16 16 70.1 64 43 14 45 65 3 5 0 8.2 1.8 5.8 8.3 6.78 6.20
2009 Holguin CBA 22 20 107.1 115 80 25 73 105 4 8 0 9.6 2.1 6.1 8.8 6.29 6.46
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Minors 76 63 294.2 309 239 82 243 303 10 23 6 9.4 2.5 7.4 9.3 6.66 7.60The rest of this article is restricted to Baseball Prospectus Subscribers.

If you place any credence in BP analysis he would not be ready for the majors just yet.

Girevik
01-13-2010, 09:31 AM
Is there any fear that this guy may turn out to be 26 rather thatn 21, like we sometimes see with the Dominican players?

yab1112
01-13-2010, 11:00 AM
Is there any fear that this guy may turn out to be 26 rather thatn 21, like we sometimes see with the Dominican players?

I read somewhere that he might actually be younger than he says. I don't remember where though. :confused:

mlh1981
01-13-2010, 11:24 AM
One of the best things about all of this is that the news broke right after the heartbreaking Bengals loss, so nice rebound for Cincinnati sports. :D

Farnsie
01-13-2010, 05:20 PM
I read somewhere that he might actually be younger than he says. I don't remember where though. :confused:

I believe there was a link in ORG's thread about him. I think someone mentioned he might in fact be 6 months younger.

Since you can't have too much pitching I'd like Reds to make a serious attempt at José Arredondo. I still think it's a little weird they just seemed to give up on him..

Southpaw
01-13-2010, 05:37 PM
Since you can't have too much pitching I'd like Reds to make a serious attempt at José Arredondo. I still think it's a little weird they just seemed to give up on him..

Apparently, they didn't just give up on him....

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jos%C3%A9_Arredondo

Although Arredondo came off a stellar 2008 rookie season, he arrived at training camp poorly prepared, with diminished velocity and poor control

Following a rough start to the 2009 season, Arredondo was optioned to the Angels' Triple-A affiliate, the Salt Lake Bees, on June 10. Soon after, an MRI revealed a sprained ligament in his elbow.

After a few sporadic appearances in July and August for the Angels, the Angels management asked Arredondo to train at the team's camp in Arizona in case he was needed for the playoffs. "Arredondo chose not to, heading home to the Dominican instead," Orange County Register's Bill Plunkett reported. "It was a decision Reagins admitted 'surprised' if not disappointed the organization." His history of elbow injury and behavior issues, "seriously dented his standing with the Angels," wrote Plunkett, "and calls into question his future with the organization."[2]

On December 10, 2009, the Angels announced that Arredondo would have elbow reconstruction is expected to miss the entire 2010 season.[3] Just two days later, on December 12, the Angels announced they would not offer Arredondo a contract for 2010.[4]

Vermilion Red
01-13-2010, 07:25 PM
Maiden Voyage on the RZ Express, longtime Reds fan dating to post-Lee May Machine. I'm as excited as anyone, as Chapman seems like a legitimate prospect, and I am really glad the Reds' front office took the initiative. However, is there any precedent for this kid being ready to help the Reds at the major league level within even two years? His numbers don't indicate his stamina is anywhere near that of a major league starter. Without understanding the inticacies of the contract, I'd give up a year of major league service for a mature pitcher.