PDA

View Full Version : Mark McGwire admits steroird use.

jimbo
01-11-2010, 03:07 PM
Fox News just reported that Mark Mcgwire has issued a statement that stated he did use steroids during his home run chase and that he apologizes for it. Trying to find a link online but no luck so far.

Found a link:

Mark McGwire finally came clean Monday, admitting he used steroids when he broke baseball's home run record in 1998. McGwire said in a statement sent to The Associated Press on Monday that he used steroids on and off for nearly a decade.

http://abcnews.go.com/Sports/wireStory?id=9533663

OesterPoster
01-11-2010, 03:11 PM
Wow, water is wet, the sky is blue...

Krawhitham
01-11-2010, 03:25 PM
Can MLB force him talk about other he knows of?

Talk or you can not be a MLB hitting coach?

FlyerFanatic
01-11-2010, 03:29 PM
Can MLB force him talk about other he knows of?

Talk or you can not be a MLB hitting coach?

theyre not gonna do that. selig is a tool. not to mention any players he mentioned would sue his ass off

mroby85
01-11-2010, 03:30 PM
McGwire showed more class at the congress hearings than Palmeiro who denied it majorly, and Sosa who pretended to not understand english. I thought it was crazy how they made McGwire out to be worse than the rest of the people on that stand, when he just chose to not lie about it. Hopefully this will take some heat off of him eventually since he came clean, he seems to genuinely be a nice guy any time i've ever heard him do interviews. I'm just annoyed that he admitted to it, because now espn is going to be all about steroids for another month.
I don't think he should come clean about other players, only a rat like canseco would do that. He took care of himself, its up to other players to come clean, not his business to bring them out.

BLEEDS
01-11-2010, 03:48 PM
Canseco just looks smarter and smarter everyday.

Too bad MLB and Selig didn't want to listen to him, let alone Congress.

Now that MLB is a big fat cash cow again after steroid-induced home runs brought the fans back, I guess they can just poo-poo everything that comes out now and "forgive the past".

It's a freakin joke that McGwire et al can not only be forgiven but can work in MLB, but Pete Rose continues to be black-balled.

PEACE

-BLEEDS

GBC Red
01-11-2010, 04:29 PM
McGwire showed more class at the congress hearings than Palmeiro who denied it majorly, and Sosa who pretended to not understand english. I thought it was crazy how they made McGwire out to be worse than the rest of the people on that stand, when he just chose to not lie about it. Hopefully this will take some heat off of him eventually since he came clean, he seems to genuinely be a nice guy any time i've ever heard him do interviews. I'm just annoyed that he admitted to it, because now espn is going to be all about steroids for another month.
I don't think he should come clean about other players, only a rat like canseco would do that. He took care of himself, its up to other players to come clean, not his business to bring them out.

I fully agree. At this point we just have to be honest, everyone is guilty until proven innocent. It's a harsh and sad reality. That being said, McGwire was treated like he committed perjury and lied in the face of America. That's just not true. McGwire was not there to talk about the past and simply stated that. Yet people don't seem to be as harsh on Palmeiro, who flat out lied. I just don't get it.

FlyerFanatic
01-11-2010, 04:46 PM
I fully agree. At this point we just have to be honest, everyone is guilty until proven innocent. It's a harsh and sad reality. That being said, McGwire was treated like he committed perjury and lied in the face of America. That's just not true. McGwire was not there to talk about the past and simply stated that. Yet people don't seem to be as harsh on Palmeiro, who flat out lied. I just don't get it.

i would imagine more people are more harsh on mcgwire because a) he had home run records/ homerun race with sosa b) hes coming back into baseball as a coach. palmerio has basically fell flat off the earth.

mroby85
01-11-2010, 05:56 PM
How ridiculous is that though? they both cheated, and did the same exact thing. McGwire just takes more grief because he was better at baseball. I agree with you, that's probably why, but it's not right.

PedroBourbon
01-11-2010, 06:12 PM
Canseco just looks smarter and smarter everyday.

Too bad MLB and Selig didn't want to listen to him, let alone Congress.

Now that MLB is a big fat cash cow again after steroid-induced home runs brought the fans back, I guess they can just poo-poo everything that comes out now and "forgive the past".

It's a freakin joke that McGwire et al can not only be forgiven but can work in MLB, but Pete Rose continues to be black-balled.

PEACE

-BLEEDS

I couldn't agree more and am happy that basically somebody typed it for me. Rose is so much more deserving of the HOF than McGwire. What a surprise, NOT.

foxfire123
01-11-2010, 07:08 PM
Well, DUH Mark. Like we didn't already know....

Does he think this is going to get him into the HOF?

And I agree, if they let McGwire in, then Pete most definitely needs in--I'd rather have a gambler out there than a juiced up 'roid rager any day.

Kingspoint
01-11-2010, 07:43 PM
Consider yourself a naive person if....

....you ever for one moment thought that Mark McGwire wasn't on steroids while he was playing baseball from 1990 forward.

Kingspoint
01-11-2010, 07:43 PM
Well, DUH Mark. Like we didn't already know....

Does he think this is going to get him into the HOF?

And I agree, if they let McGwire in, then Pete most definitely needs in--I'd rather have a gambler out there than a juiced up 'roid rager any day.

....who bet on his own team, so it's not like he was cheating (like McGwire) and tanking games. He was trying even harder to win games.

Kingspoint
01-11-2010, 07:46 PM
He should be banned from baseball for life and everyone else who is caught using steroids, and the lame commissioner should be banned for life for turning a blind eye to it and allowing it to happen.

Bud Selig is the biggest piece of turd in all of baseball.

Kingspoint
01-11-2010, 07:47 PM
And to every one of those sportswriters who have cast a vote for McGwire to go into the Hall of Fame, they can all go to you-know-where.

mlh1981
01-11-2010, 10:42 PM
He made himself look real bad on the mlb tv interview with Bob Costas.

How stupid does he think people are?

(actually, I'd rather not know the answer to that question :cool:)

BigPoppa
01-11-2010, 11:41 PM
It kind of saddens me to have to say that I like Mark McGwire a lot less following the Costas interview.

He avoided questions, sniffed, stuck to his talking points, sniffed, made himself out to be a victim, and sniffed.

It was tough to watch for me. I really liked the guy before tonight.

It's a shame that he refused to come clean all this time, but finally after getting a batting coach job and with Spring Training fast approaching, now he owns up after basically running out of time.

I'm no big LaRussa fan, but he defended McGwire up to the end. I wonder how he feels now ?

FlyerFanatic
01-11-2010, 11:48 PM
I'm no big LaRussa fan, but he defended McGwire up to the end. I wonder how he feels now ?

i doubt larussa cares. i'm sure he knew everyone was taking them. he reaped all the rewards that came with mcgwire.

fugowitribe
01-12-2010, 12:25 AM
So here St. Louis is with a career .230 hitter with the only credit to his game now going to the roids as a hitting coach. I hope he tries to mess with Pujols. Maybe he can get him to look like a Mack truck and swing with one hand and hit the ball off the arch. McGwire is a piece of work. All that religious B.S. and everything he has preached about. The competition between him and Sammy back in '98 and how it was "good for baseball" and American as apple pie. Someone needs to tell him it is about the past, and it is what we need to concentrate on. I know it was an era, but he was the pinnacle of that era. The Home-Run chase of 1998 is about as legit as Y2K. It made a lot of hype, but now its a nuisance on the game of baseball. It just goes to show that Barry Larkin is a legend among men in an age of steroids, he seems to have played it right.

Is it just me or is Roger Maris the Home-Run King? 61 in '61 is the record to beat (legitly) in baseball.

BigPoppa
01-12-2010, 12:40 AM
Speaking of Larkin, I just now heard a sound bite from him on the MLB Network.......he was pretty harsh against McGwire and I'm with him 100%.

Kingspoint
01-12-2010, 01:11 AM
So here St. Louis is with a career .230 hitter with the only credit to his game now going to the roids as a hitting coach. I hope he tries to mess with Pujols. Maybe he can get him to look like a Mack truck and swing with one hand and hit the ball off the arch. McGwire is a piece of work. All that religious B.S. and everything he has preached about. The competition between him and Sammy back in '98 and how it was "good for baseball" and American as apple pie. Someone needs to tell him it is about the past, and it is what we need to concentrate on. I know it was an era, but he was the pinnacle of that era. The Home-Run chase of 1998 is about as legit as Y2K. It made a lot of hype, but now its a nuisance on the game of baseball. It just goes to show that Barry Larkin is a legend among men in an age of steroids, he seems to have played it right.

Is it just me or is Roger Maris the Home-Run King? 61 in '61 is the record to beat (legitly) in baseball.

Roger Maris is the homerun King. It doesn't matter if it's ever amended.

And, if there hadn't been steroids, Dale Murphy would be in the Hall-of-Fame right now, and Larkin would make it on the 1st ballot.

Griffey012
01-12-2010, 01:38 AM
Roger Maris is the homerun King. It doesn't matter if it's ever amended.

And, if there hadn't been steroids, Dale Murphy would be in the Hall-of-Fame right now, and Larkin would make it on the 1st ballot.

Funny you mentioned Dale Murphy, because the other day in a discussion about Dawson getting into the hall of fame I mentioned if he gets in the Dale Murphy should be in.

Kingspoint
01-12-2010, 04:09 AM
Funny you mentioned Dale Murphy, because the other day in a discussion about Dawson getting into the hall of fame I mentioned if he gets in the Dale Murphy should be in.

Steroids (probably used by at least 30% of the players (pitchers and hitters) from '85-'05) screwed all of those players who didn't use steroids during that era and all the players who played in the early 80's, whose career numbers took a hit because of it and their individual yearly totals were downplayed during the second half of their careers in the late 80's and early 90's.

You really have to understand how things "should have been", with no greater evidence of that than the league leaders in slugging percentage in the National League in 1986.

Your Top Ten:

Name....Age.....SLG

Mike Schmidt: .....36...... .547
Darryl Strawberry:...24.... .507
Kevin McReynolds: ....26... .504
Glenn Davis: ........25...... .493
Kevin Bass: .........27...... .486
Jim Morrison: .......33...... .482
Von Hayes: .........27...... .480
Andre Dawson: ......31..... .478
Dave Parker: ........35..... .477
Dale Murphy: ........30..... .477

Kingspoint
01-12-2010, 06:49 AM

When Dawson won his MVP in 1987, it had a lot to do with how popular he was. Heck, it had everything to do with how popular he was. To me, it was a joke. Dawson had missed three straight All-Star games because, basically, during the prime of Dawson's career, aged 29, 30, and 31, he wasn't even among the best 3 Outfielders in the National League. You should at least dominate your position in your prime to be a Hall-of-Famer, and you're supposed to be dominating your league, just not your position, and he couldn't even do that.

Dawson was a popular player among the baseball writers, but he was no more deserving than Dale Murphy.

To give you an idea of how popular Dawson is and was, just look at the voting for the 1987 National League MVP, which should have won by Jack Clark, hands down. There were half a dozen more deserving players than Andre Dawson that year. Dawson moved to Chicago that season and just swung for the fences every at bat with the wind blowing out.

Bold=Led League in '87

1. Jack Clark: 131 gms, 1.055 OPS, 35HR, 106-RBI, 93-R, 176 OPS+, .459 OBP, .597 SLG, 127 Runs Created, 55 Adj Batting Runs, 5.2 Adj Batting Wins, .824 Offensive Win %, AB per HR of 12.0, 309 Outs (154 fewer Outs than Andre Dawson!!!), 1.258 Total Average, .343 BAbip, 11.0 Runs Created per Game, He was injured throughout the season (as were many players back then, still), and he gutted it out as much as he could. Dawson and Murphy also were always injured and gutted it out, too.

2. Dale Murphy: 159 gms, .997 OPS, 44HR, 105-RBI, 115-R, 16SB, .417 OBP, .580 SLG, 29IBB (he was feared), 157 OPS+, 143 Runs Created, 51 Adj Batting Runs, 4.9 Adj Batting Wins, 289 Times On Base (2nd), .767 Offensive Win %, 23.5 Power-Speed #, 328 Total Bases, 421 Outs, 1.106 Total Average, .315 BAbip, 9.1 Runs Created per Game, (Should have gotten a Gold Glove after having won 5 straight and finishing the year with 14 assists, tying his career high, while also tying for his highest fielding percentage since he started playing the outfield for the first time in 1980, but Dawson was popular, so it got taken from Murphy to give to Dawson. Murphy still had better range than Dawson that year and was the better fielder (and had more assists/doubleplays), and Gwynn actually had fewer assists/doubleplays with less range while playing the same Right Field position. Davis was the indisputable Gold Glover in the 1987 Outfield.)

3. Eric Davis: 129 gms, .991 OPS, 37HR, 100-RBI, 120-R, 50SB (6CS!), .399 OBP, .593 SLG, 155 OPS+, 350 Outs (113 fewer Outs than Dawson), 1.182 Total Average, .333 BAbip, 9.5 Runs Created per Game, Gold Glove (and all of his high-light real catches), 124 Runs Created, 39 Adj Batting Runs, 3.7 Adj Batting Wins, .781 Offensive Win %, 42.5 Power-Speed #.

4. Darryl Strawberry: 154 gms, .981 OPS, 39HR, 104-RBI, 108-R, 36SB, .398 OBP, .583 SLG, 162 OPS+, 132 Runs Created, 50 Adj Batting Runs, 4.8 Adj Batting Wins, .757 Offensive Win %, 37.4 Power-Speed #, 310 Total Bases, 401 Outs, 1.103 Total Average, .299 BAbip, 8.8 Runs Created per Game.

5. Tony Gwynn: 157 gms, .958 OPS, .370 AVG, 218H, 56SB, 13-3B, 119-R, .447 OBP, .511 SLG, 158 OPS+, 143 Runs Created, 54 Adj Batting Runs, 5.1 Adj Batting Wins, .782 Offensive Win %, 303 Times On Base, 26IBB (he was feared), 301 Total Bases, 402 Outs, 1.086 Total Average, .383 BAbip, 9.6 Runs Created per Game, Gold Glove.

6. Tim Raines: 139 gms, .955 OPS, .330 AVG, .429 OBP, 123-R, 50SB (5CS!), 149 OPS+, 132 Runs Created, 42 Adj Batting Runs, 4.0 Adj Batting Wins, .781 Offensive Win %, 26IBB (he was feared), 26.5 Power-Speed #, 372 Outs, 1.133 Total Average (245 pts more than Dawson), .339 BAbip, 9.5 Runs Created per Game.

7. Ozzie Smith: Another "popular" person among the writers. Nobody knows that better than REDS fans, as they saw Smith take several Gold Gloves away from Larkin that should have been Barry's just because of popularity. Ozzie Smith finished 2nd in the MVP voting to Jack Clark's 3rd behind Dawson. I remember Ozzie Smith had to have taken many a vote away from Jack Clark that year as St. Louis made the playoffs, but lost to Houston.

Here's Dawson's stats: While his Total Bases was clearly impressive, if any of the other players had played in Chicago and swung for the fences every time up as Dawson did that season, they also would have led the league in Total Bases.

8. Andre Dawson: 153 gms, .896 OPS, .328 OBP, .568 SLG, 49HR, 137-RBI, 90-R, 7IBB (he wasn't feared like Murphy, Clark, Gwynn and Raines), 130 OPS+, 353TB, 11SB, .636 Offensive Winning % (paltry compared to everyone else's), 21.4 Adj Batting Runs (paltry compared to everyone else's), 111 Runs Created (paltry compared to everyone else's), 2.1 Adj Batting Wins (paltry compared to everyone else's), 18.0 Power-Speed # (quite a bit less than Murphy and a lot less than everyone else except Clark), 463 Outs (7th worst in NL), .868 Total Average (314 pts less than ED!), .274 BAbip, Gold Glove (stolen from Murphy), 6.4 Runs Created per Game (3.1 less than Eric Davis and 4.8 less than Jack Clark...Dawson getting the MVP was a joke!).

Jack Burton
01-12-2010, 01:44 PM
He made himself look real bad on the mlb tv interview with Bob Costas.

How stupid does he think people are?

(actually, I'd rather not know the answer to that question :cool:)
But hey, people still talk about the homeruns he hit in legion.

texasdave
01-12-2010, 11:45 PM
So if steroids didn't help anyone play better, why were they all taking them? What would be the point? Making that statement makes McGwire a cheater and a liar. That's all.

mlh1981
01-13-2010, 11:23 AM
Did you guys notice his neck? CREEPY!

Looks like an accordian :eek:

Girevik
01-13-2010, 12:15 PM
....who bet on his own team, so it's not like he was cheating (like McGwire) and tanking games. He was trying even harder to win games.

Not that I don't want to see Pete in the Hall, but IMO that view is a bit simplistic. What if he used a releiver who had gone the last three days in a close game because he had money on it that day? Potentially, he could be risking putting a guy out for a month to win a bet today.

FlyerFanatic
01-13-2010, 12:40 PM

i really dont see what mcgwire can bring to the table as a hitting coach. i mean if someone on the cardinals needs hitting lessons/pointers, go talk to albert. thats not to say people wont get some good pointers, but if you wanna be a better hitter, getting in the cages with albert and watching his approach might be even more beneficial.

will5979
01-14-2010, 01:33 PM
Not that I don't want to see Pete in the Hall, but IMO that view is a bit simplistic. What if he used a releiver who had gone the last three days in a close game because he had money on it that day? Potentially, he could be risking putting a guy out for a month to win a bet today.

No offense but I don't like that analogy. You win at all costs, period! If a man goes down, a man goes down. I wish we had a manager right now that was betting on his team to win and ACTUALLY TRYING TO WIN.