PDA

View Full Version : Cubs & Padres Interested In Jermaine Dye

RedLegSuperStar
01-14-2010, 12:32 PM
Padres, Cubs Eyeing Jermaine Dye
By Tim Dierkes [January 14 at 8:06am CST]
THURSDAY, 8:06am: MLB.com's Corey Brock has*a source saying a Dye deal is "low on likelihood" for the Padres.* More likely would be Randy Winn or Jerry Hairston Jr., to whom the Padres have made offers.* Another mild possibility for Dye is the Cubs.* The Chicago Tribune's Paul Sullivan says they're looking at him for a platoon/backup/DH role.

WEDNESDAY, 11:02am: The Padres are showing interest in free agent outfielder Jermaine Dye, according to Jon Paul Morosi of FOX Sports.* However, Morosi believes the Padres would have to trade a veteran to be able to afford him.* He names Heath Bell and Kevin Kouzmanoff as trade candidates.

Dye isn't a great fit for a National League club, given his outfield defense.* And he's not the type of free agent you make other moves to accomodate.* Given the limited interest, I can't see him getting much more than $3MM.

$3MM? Where do I sign up? You factor the Reds saved $5 or so million on the Rolen restructure and the Chapman signing is only paying him $1MM.. You still have enough to gamble on Dye for around $3MM. I know Dye's defense isn't much better the a blind Adam Dunn but at that price he'd be worth it right?

Homer Bailey
01-14-2010, 12:34 PM
I'm in for $3M as well. After all, it isn't my money :p:

RedsManRick
01-14-2010, 12:36 PM
Using FanGraphs' figures, Dye was sub-replacement in 2007 and 2009. I know it's tantalizing to think he'll be able to recapture 2006, but he's 36 and not getting any younger. In terms of projected performance in 2010, it would seem he's basically no different than Gomes and I'd rather go with the guy more likely to stay healthy.

I'd just as soon go with what we already have in house. The upside of Dye or Gomes is imaginary -- their defense basically starts them behind the 8-ball and they require a very solid offensive performance to provide any value at all. I'd much rather go with Heisey or Dickerson who only need to OPS .700ish to provide positive value -- or even Nix or Balentein.

There's just no reason to spend cash on poor fielding bopper in LF.

OnBaseMachine
01-14-2010, 12:40 PM
I'd pass on Dye. As Rick said, if we're going to employ a bad defender in left field then why not just re-sign Jonny Gomes? I still think shortstop is our biggest need. I think one of Juan Francisco, Todd Frazier, Chris Heisey, and Wladimir Balentien will win the left field job and do pretty well.

Johnny Footstool
01-14-2010, 12:59 PM
Ryan Church signed with the Pirates for less money, and will be a better player in 2010.

Slyder
01-14-2010, 01:38 PM
So the Cubs traded Milton Bradley and want to replace him with Jermaine Dye? Sure have at it his d may make Bradley look like Jay Bruce in the field.

RichRed
01-14-2010, 01:47 PM
Another mild possibility for Dye is the Cubs.* The Chicago Tribune's Paul Sullivan says they're looking at him for a platoon/backup/DH role.

The Cubs are so dumb, they think they're in the AL.

RedLegSuperStar
01-14-2010, 04:09 PM
The Cubs are so dumb, they think they're in the AL.

Yeah.. I thought that was comical

Raisor
01-14-2010, 04:10 PM
Cubs DO play interleague games with a DH.

RichRed
01-14-2010, 04:19 PM
Cubs DO play interleague games with a DH.

Party pooper.

Vada Pinson Fan
01-15-2010, 07:28 PM
Using FanGraphs' figures, Dye was sub-replacement in 2007 and 2009. I know it's tantalizing to think he'll be able to recapture 2006, but he's 36 and not getting any younger. ...There's just no reason to spend cash on poor fielding bopper in LF.

I hear ya Rick but I still believe Dye would feel refreshed with a change of venue. Put Dye in Great American and let him have FUN!!! Paired with Rolen as savvy veterans, his presence would only help the Reds. We lived with Dunn in left for a loooooong time and Dye wouldn't be as bad fielding but granted not as good as Dunn was hitting for power. If the price was right and Jermaine would sign to come to Cincinnati; Jocketty could certainly do worse than Dye in Left.

edabbs44
01-15-2010, 07:42 PM
Dye in Petco would be an adventure

Blitz Dorsey
01-15-2010, 08:10 PM
The Reds should step up here and give him a better offer. If all it takes is $4 million, do it! Sell him on the fact that GABP is a hitter's park and the Reds just need a RH bat in the middle of the order to take some of the pressure off Votto and Bruce.

Would love to see something like:
1. Stubbs CF
2. Phillips 2B (or Rolen)
3. Votto 1B
4. Dye LF
5. Bruce RF
6. Rolen 3B (or Phillips)
7. Hernandez C
8. Janish SS

Then the top bench players would be Dickerson and Nix, both lefties. Need some right-handed sticks with pop.

RedLegSuperStar
01-15-2010, 10:14 PM
Dye doesn't have many suitors.. I would of thought with the Reds going after him last year that they would be in on him.. yet we were all shocked the Reds nabbed Aroldis Chapman. If they don't then they are going to have to give the reigns over to Chris Heisey or Juan Francisco... which isn't a bad thing.

Captain Hook
01-16-2010, 12:33 PM
Any talk of Dye just reminds me of how close the Reds came to trading the guy that figures to be at the very least the 4th starter in the rotation this year and has the potential to become a TOR pitcher very soon for one year of services from an overpaid OF with declining skills.

I guess that doesn't change the fact that he's available now and that we don't have to trade Homer to get him.Still, I think I'd rather have Eric Byrnes as long as the D-Backs are picking up the bill or else just go with the in house options.I don't see how a 36 year old OF that can't play defense and put up terrible numbers in the 2nd half of 09 fits in on the Reds team.

2nd half of 09
246 PA 7 HR 26 RBI .176 BA .293 OBP .297 SLG .590 OPS