PDA

View Full Version : POLL: #5 starter

Redsfan320
01-21-2010, 04:44 PM
I'm goin with Chapman, then Lehr then, Maloney.

Donder
01-21-2010, 05:14 PM
Tough call, but I'm going with Owings because I think Price will be partial to him due to their time together in Arizona. I'm sure Baker will have the final say, but Price will certainly have input.

thorn
01-21-2010, 05:28 PM
No offense, but it Lehr gets more than 5 spot starts, we are in for a world of hurt. Maloney, Ownes, Lecure, Wood, Leake then Chapman is my preferred order of 5th starter/Spot starters. Wood, Leake and Chapman need more time in the minors or they would be higher, IMO. I also think Volquez will be available late in the year pushing Lehr further down the list.

nemesis
01-21-2010, 07:45 PM
Owings. Shoulder will be stronger another year removed. Bat is very valuable off the bench. Best season as a pro came with Price as his pitching coach... Might find new success.

malcontent
01-21-2010, 08:13 PM
Maloney deserves a legit shot, IMO.

Redsfan320
01-21-2010, 08:14 PM
Interesting. 21 votes in and Maloney has a 1 vote lead over Chapman.

Vottomatic
01-22-2010, 01:58 AM
Lehr, Maloney, Owings, Wood, Chapman.

Wood starts season in triple A.
Chapman starts season in double A.
Lehr and Maloney battle for 5th starter position in spring training.
If those two fail, Owings gets the 5th starter position.

Redsfan320
01-22-2010, 07:58 AM
Wow. Didn't expect Maloney to be in the lead, especially not by so much.

Also thought Chapman would've had more votes.

I liked what I saw in Lehr better than Maloney, though I took Chapman to win.

Donder
01-22-2010, 02:21 PM
Also thought Chapman would've had more votes.

Although Chapman is the most appealing name, I think most people understand that he's such a key part to the Reds future that the organization will handle him with kid gloves. I'm honestly surprised he's gotten as many votes as he did.

I'm a little surprised Maloney is leading by so much also. I thought it would be real close between him, Owings, and Wood.

flash
01-22-2010, 04:25 PM
Smit has an unbelievable Spring forcing the Reds to put him in the rotation. Hey, it could happen. I am surprised he was even given a ST invite.

Redsfan320
01-22-2010, 04:34 PM
Smit has an unbelievable Spring forcing the Reds to put him in the rotation. Hey, it could happen. I am surprised he was even given a ST invite.

Never heard of him. Wearing #69 though, so the Reds don't expect him to make it.

flash
01-22-2010, 06:23 PM
Actually Smit probably has a better chance than Chapman of being the #5 starter. He had 73 k in 71innings last year to go with a 3.04 ERA at Carolina. He was one of the Netherlands pitchers in the classic that simply shut the Puerto Rican or DR team down. he is a little wild and he is a fly ball pitcher. Maybe the Reds want to give other teams a look. Maybe the Dodgers are interested. They talked about Harang.

Glove o' Gold
01-22-2010, 07:34 PM
I like Wood here. What is so different bringing him up then when we brought up Cueto? Wood is older than Cueto was when we brought him up and has spent just as much time in the minor leagues.

Hey Meat
01-22-2010, 10:50 PM
Please not Owings again. Make him the Long guy out of the pen and use him to pinch hit-not as the 5th man. Rather see Lehr or Maloney than him there.

Redsfan320
01-23-2010, 08:40 AM
Why so many votes for Owings? 5.34 ERA, 7-12, I don't get it.

Whoever's voting for him, what's your rationale?

Why not give one of the young guys a shot?

lucky bugle boy
01-23-2010, 11:38 AM
I voted Maloney. I think he is the most mature pitcher right now (besides perhaps Owings) and provides a left-hander for the rotation. If he struggles, then Owings can be plugged in unless someone else is beating the door down.

Thoughts on the others:

Chapman: If he dominates in the spring, I give him the nod and start Maloney in AAA.

Wood: Needs some more time at AAA from what I've read. Again, if he beats the door down, welcome to Cincinnati!

Owings: I liked him in shorter stints at the end of the season; he was much more successful there. The intriguing thing is that if a starter is knocked out of a game early, he can come in and pitch a few innings without worrying about pinch-hitting for him. then he could pinch-hit on days following longer relief outings.

Lehr: Nice depth to have at AAA, but hopefully not someone we need to count on often.

BTW, I seemed to have forgotten what happened with Kip Wells. Was he released by the Reds?

Ultimately, I hope the Reds pick up one more starter to compete for the fifth spot. You can never have too much pitching! Wouldn't it be sweet if they surprise us with Ben Sheets?

Redsfan320
01-23-2010, 12:11 PM
BTW, I seemed to have forgotten what happened with Kip Wells. Was he released by the Reds?

Yes, his contract ran out, and the Reds didn't resign him. I thought he was a better pitcher than any in this group, but I'm not making the decisions.

Why is there a general opinion that Maloney is better than Lehr. I liked what I saw out of him this year.

lucky bugle boy
01-23-2010, 12:16 PM
Why is there a general opinion that Maloney is better than Lehr. I liked what I saw out of him this year.

One advantage is his left-handedness (if that's a word:p:). The other is that Maloney strikes out more batters, or at least did in the minors. He is younger and I believe can still improve at the major league level. He showed signs of this at the end of '09.

gedred69
01-24-2010, 03:15 PM
I voted Owings to start the season at least. Experience, and with Price I hope he makes a few tweeks.

XU Lou
01-24-2010, 07:43 PM
I voted Owings only because it is based on the Opening Day roster. With his experience and relationship with Price it seems logical, although I don't think he is the best pitcher out of the group. I expect Maloney, Leake or Wood to end up in the role by mid season though. For some reason, I get the feeling the front office is not enamored with Lehr.

Redsfan320
01-24-2010, 08:14 PM
Well, today, Owings got a ton of votes. Fascinating.

Girevik
01-25-2010, 08:42 AM
Please not Owings again. Make him the Long guy out of the pen and use him to pinch hit-not as the 5th man. Rather see Lehr or Maloney than him there.

That's the problem with making him a releiver..you really CAN'T use him to pinch hit. First of all he'd be in the bullpen and not on the bench, but more importantly managers probably wouldn't want to take an arm out of the bullpen to use as a pinch hitter. The only time I see that working is if he had gone several innings the day before and isn't available for this game.

Can you imagine the heat Dusty would take if he used Owings as a pinch hitter in the 8th, then ran out of pitchers in a long extra inning game because of it?

5ToolPlaya
01-25-2010, 10:03 AM
I'd rather Owings spend spring training trying to earn the left field spot. If he doesn't earn the spot or show promise for developing there then go to AAA and get the arm ready for pitching and make a early June debet. Maloney and Lehr could hold down the #5 spot in the rotation until then.