PDA

View Full Version : The 25-man roster

Redsfan320
01-26-2010, 07:44 PM
Assuming no one's traded or signed, and that we're going with the typical 13 pitchers, 12 batters, here's what we're going into the season with:

5 starters:

Harang
Arroyo
Cueto
Bailey
Chapman/ Maloney/ Lehr/ Owings/ Wood/ possibly someone else from minors

7 relievers:

Cordero
Rhodes
Masset
Herrera
Any 3 of the following: Fisher, Lincoln, Chapman, Maloney, Lehr, Owings, Bray, Burton, Wood, Ondrusek, Del Rosario, or maybe someone else from minors I guess.

13 batters:

Hernandez
Hanigan
Votto
Phillips
Janish
Rolen
Stubbs
Bruce
Dickerson
I suppose these are technically the only definites, then at least 2 of:
Heisey
Nix
Taveras
Balentin
Francisco
Frazier
And 2 of:
Sutton
Rosales
Burke
Frazier
Francisco
Alonso

Watcha think?

Vottomatic
01-26-2010, 08:33 PM
Pretty dead on. Good post.

Redsfan320
01-26-2010, 08:44 PM
Thanks, vm. I probably forgot someone, but I can't think of anyone, and I didn't see anyone else on the roster who has any chance of cracking the Bigs.

Glove o' Gold
01-27-2010, 02:49 PM
I think that Maloney gets the 5 spot because he is a lefty
Out of the three reliever options I believe it will be:

Fisher
Burton
Pedro Viola? Im not sure if we wtill have him but I've heard only good things about him.

And I like Heisey, Rosales, Balentine, and Frazier to make the team on top of the locks you posted.

mdccclxix
01-27-2010, 03:08 PM
This will be another year in which it's hard to remember a deeper team going into camp.

Redsfan320
01-27-2010, 03:29 PM
Oh yeah, I forgot my picks.

The 5th starter spot really just depends on how everyone does in ST.

I'd go with Fisher and Burton out of the pen as well, the other spot depends on ST, but I'd say Bray will get it, leading to a 3-lefty pen. (Herrera, Bray, Rhodes)

For the position players I'll take Heisey, Francisco, Rosales, and 2 of Frazier/Alonso/Burke depending on their springs.

Glove o' Gold
01-27-2010, 03:54 PM
With all the in house options we have for left field I dont think we need to go out and get anyone. SS is another question though. I would love to sign Cabrera and if we are not in contention by the trade deadline then trade him.

Redsfan320
01-27-2010, 04:09 PM
I would love to sign Cabrera

I know that many, including myself, wouldn't mind seeing the Reds sign/trade someone, but the thread starts with:

Assuming no one's traded or signed

I'd prefer to keep it that way. We have many threads about trades/signings, and if you want to start one about Cabrera then feel free to. This one was intended to be about which in-house options you prefer, as well as to talk about what we have now, not what we don't.

BUT... it's really no big deal :cool:

This post isn't directed toward you, it's just that I'd rather not see it fly off the intended topic so quickly. (which, looking back, I didn't make very clear, so my fault not yours)

Glove o' Gold
01-27-2010, 04:16 PM
Yeah after going back and reading that it did kind of come out of left field. Im just excited to see if any of the young guns can step up and take over left.

flash
01-29-2010, 10:01 AM
Looking at this I can't help but feeling the Reds may be in for a monster year or years ahead.

Catching: the Reds may have one of the best tandems in the majors. I know Hannigan had a big knock for driving in runs, but no one can discount his defense. He will work a pitcher also when at bat.

1B Votto will be a star, a no doubter.
2B Phillips- drives me batty with his obsession with power and his laziness at times. Needs to be corrected, but if it is watch out.
SS- I actually don't think this area is too bad. I believe Cozart is ready, Valaika is supposed to be ready. Janish is there as a defensive whiz. The reds are in pretty good shape.
3B Rolen/ Francisco. Should Rolen go down Francisco is in the wings.
RF Bruce/ Dickerson Bruce has to get better. If everyone is right, and he does, Watch out.
CF Stubbs/ Dickerson I really think Dickerson is better in center, but if either he or Stubbs plays to their potential this will be a good centerfield.
LF Stubbs/ Dickerson/ Francisco- This is where I want Stubbs, but the alternative isn't bad

Bench
Heisey/ Fraizer/ Rosales/ Nix/ Ballentein/Sutton. Lots of potential there.
Taveras/ Where can he play?

Starting pitching- Those contending for the fifth spot will make up the entire rotation at Luoisville. Is that great or what. An entire reserve staff capable of pitching in the show. Same could be said of relievers.

mikemo14
01-30-2010, 01:53 AM
My Early 25

Rotation Arroyo, Harang, Cueto Bailey Chapman

LH Relief Herrera Rhodes DL Bray

Rh Relief Owings Burton Massett A Sleeper Cordero

C Hernandez Hanigan

Start Inf Votto Phillips Cabrera Rolen

Utility Janish

Super utility Frazier (An Aurillia type role)

OF Bruce, Stubbs , Heisey, Dickerson Nix

Redsfan320
01-30-2010, 10:55 AM
Start Inf... Cabrera

Ahem. In-house options, please.

Redsfan320
01-31-2010, 08:25 AM
Wow, 400 posts. The last 100 went fast. Thanks for such a great time, guys (and girls)

And 2 of:
Sutton
Rosales
Burke
Frazier
Francisco
Alonso

There should now only be one from that list, as I think O-Cab and Janish will definitely make the roster.

Redsfan320
02-02-2010, 08:23 AM
at least 2 of:
Heisey
Nix
Taveras
Balentin
Francisco
Frazier

We can remove Taveras from the list now, making it just a bit less crowded.

texasdave
02-02-2010, 08:40 AM
We can remove Taveras from the list now, making it just a bit less crowded.

Of course if they sign Gomes we are right back to square one.

Redsfan320
02-02-2010, 09:49 AM
Of course if they sign Gomes we are right back to square one.

Yep. But much better him than WillyT!

Redsfan320
02-03-2010, 07:45 AM
And 2 of:
Sutton
Miles
Burke
Frazier
Francisco
Alonso

Now, not only should there be just 1 from that list, but now Miles is on the list replacing Rosales.

WildcatFan
02-03-2010, 10:52 AM
At this point I've got:

INF
C Ramon Hernandez
SS Orlando Cabrera
2B Brandon Phillips
3B Scott Rolen
1B Joey Votto

OF
RF Jay Bruce
LF Chris Dickerson
CF Drew Stubbs

Bench
C Ryan Hanigan
OF Wladimir Balentien
OF Laynce Nix
INF Aaron Miles
INF Paul Janish

Rotation
RHP Aaron Harang
RHP Bronson Arroyo
RHP Johnny Cueto
RHP Homer Bailey
RHP Micah Owings

Bullpen
RHP Jared Burton
RHP Carlos Fisher
LHP Daniel Ray Herrera
RHP Mike Lincoln
RHP Nick Masset
LHP Arthur Rhodes
Cl Francisco Cordero

Looking for Gomes to replace Nix on that list.

That's an incredibly solid infield, both offensively and defensively. Hernandez and Hanigan are both great with the pitchers.

Rotation is similar to last year's, with Bailey in for Volquez. Would love to get him back by June and move Arroyo (maybe as package with Alonso?)

Outfield defense is also very good; you just have to worry about the offensive production from those three. Bruce's bat becomes the X-factor. If he swats, this team becomes very, very good.

Gotta give Walt some love for the last few months.

Red in Atl
02-03-2010, 11:38 AM
That looks pretty darn close. And yes I'm sending the Love Walt's way. I think he did a great job of being patient with the market, being sneaky with Chapman and being straight up with what he thinks will make us winners; pitching, defense, mix of young and old.

If they sign Gomes, I think Balentien goes to AAA. Only because he has options, I assume. I still think Nix could put it together to be a great pinch hitter and late inning defensive replacement.

But what I really want to see is Heisey step it up, along with Dickerson, so they can plantoon in left and bat 7th.

DannyB
02-03-2010, 02:09 PM
That looks pretty darn close. And yes I'm sending the Love Walt's way. I think he did a great job of being patient with the market, being sneaky with Chapman and being straight up with what he thinks will make us winners; pitching, defense, mix of young and old.

If they sign Gomes, I think Balentien goes to AAA. Only because he has options, I assume. I still think Nix could put it together to be a great pinch hitter and late inning defensive replacement.

But what I really want to see is Heisey step it up, along with Dickerson, so they can plantoon in left and bat 7th.

Wlad is out of options.
Probably not good news for Stubbs or Dickerson.

Redsfan320
02-03-2010, 05:29 PM
Wlad is out of options.
Probably not good news for Stubbs or Dickerson.

Then DFA him. Stubbs and Dickerson both deserve to be in the majors a lot more than "Wlad."

malcontent
02-03-2010, 05:31 PM
I want the Reds to keep Balentien, whether they sign Gomes, or not.

Great minor league stats. Could be ready to put it all together.

Nix should be the odd man out if they sign Gomes.

I'd also prefer Frazier or Sutton over Janish. With the IF defense the team already has in Rolen, Cabrera and Phillips, Janish isn't needed as much as another bat.

DannyB
02-03-2010, 06:31 PM
Then DFA him. Stubbs and Dickerson both deserve to be in the majors a lot more than "Wlad."

We hear the "he has options" excuse every year.
Stubbs and Dickerson still have them.