PDA

View Full Version : Reds About to Sign a Free Agent?

travisgrimes
01-28-2010, 09:39 AM
http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2010/01/reds-signing-brewing.html

Looks like the Reds are interested in Johnny Damon but also another Scott Boras free agent as well. Wouldn't be surprised if the Reds asked about Felipe Lopez because he is younger than Orlando Cabrera and has more pop in his bat.

BLEEDS
01-28-2010, 09:49 AM
Saw that, full text:

http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2010/0...g-brewing.html

By Tim Dierkes [January 28, 2010 at 8:37am CST]
According to a John Fay tweet for the Cincinnati Enquirer, the Reds called Scott Boras about a client and asked about Johnny Damon too. Boras' other free agents include Hank Blalock, Felipe Lopez, Joe Crede, Garret Anderson, Jarrod Washburn, Eric Gagne, Scott Schoeneweis, and Ron Villone.

In another tweet, Fay notes that Reds owner Bob Castellini might adjust the budget for the right free agent addition. Fay says the Reds are still talking to Jonny Gomes and Orlando Cabrera, and feels something is brewing in Cincinnati.

Joel Sherman of the New York Post suggests the Yankees are still in play for Gomes, if he'll take a minor league deal. They're also still considering right-handed hitting outfielders Rocco Baldelli and Marcus Thames.

IFF the FO wants the fans to believe the "we want to win NOW" statements, this is the perfect time to strike and get ticket purchases up.
Risking that the current team, AS-IS, will win and get fans coming to the park, the better bet is to sign a "NAME" FA at a decent price, and get fans to purchase SEASON tickets before the season starts.

Damon and Cabrera/Lopez would not only boost sales, but would actually improve this team by 4-5 wins.

PEACE

-BLEEDS

will5979
01-28-2010, 09:51 AM
Damon, yes, we need another good OFer and he would be great with Stubbs and BRuce.

FeLo-No tanks for nuttin, we've been there done that don't want him back, Janish there batting 8th is fine for me.

Stubbs-CF
Damon-LF
Phillips-2B
Votto-1B
Rolen-3B
Bruce-RF
Hernandez/Hannigan C
Janish-SS

travisgrimes
01-28-2010, 09:52 AM
i think the Reds become the favorites in the division if they are able to sign Damon and Cabrera/Lopez

will5979
01-28-2010, 09:54 AM
Damon and Cabrera/Lopez would not only boost sales, but would actually improve this team by 4-5 wins.

PEACE

you know what a 4-5 win improvement means right? YES, a winning record, that alone is worth it for me.

As for PEACE, you know the 60s are over right!?

wojo1025
01-28-2010, 10:29 AM
After reading that article I'm thinking FeLo, and I really hate saying that! I have a feeling Walt will like him due to his versatility and he's been a pretty solid player for the last couple of years.

CySeymour
01-28-2010, 10:30 AM
I think Damon would be one heck of a good signing, but I really doubt he will come down enough in salary demands to sign with Cincinnati.

Red in Atl
01-28-2010, 11:26 AM
Damon, yes, we need another good OFer and he would be great with Stubbs and BRuce.

FeLo-No tanks for nuttin, we've been there done that don't want him back, Janish there batting 8th is fine for me.

Totally agree. He could really teach the young outfielders a ton, and it gives Francisco a year at AAA. Then you can let go of all the others and have Heisey and Dickerson as backups.

I still think Janish is going to blossom this year given the opportunity. And signing Damon allows it to happen.

CRedsLarkin11
01-28-2010, 11:30 AM
In my fantasy world they sign Damon and Cabrera then my "hope springs eternal" energy would be back for 2010 b/c they would be significantly better. Janish could still be used as a late inning defensive replacement which is what he is ideal for. Heisey could probably benefit from more time in AAA and Nix and Dickerson are not the answer. BUT... in reality I would probably be okay if they signed Gomes and Lopez. It is still an improvement

Vottomatic
01-28-2010, 11:56 AM
Damon posted his fourth best OPS of his 15 year career last year and his 2nd best slugging percentage season of his career. Tied his career high with 24 HR's, and his second best walk total of his career too with 71. Also his third best doubles total with 36. Doesn't look like he's slowing down any at age 36. Plus we have guys to spell him if he can only play 140 games.

I've changed my mind on him. Like Rolen, might be a good veteran signing of just a guy who's a plain winner.

The weird thing about Lopez is......he's only 29. He turns 30 in May of this year. He's a switch hitter, and his numbers weren't too bad last season. Scored 88 runs while playing for 2 teams and actually hit over .300 for both. Posted a career high in walks. Interesting. I thought the label on him was he was lazy?

BLEEDS
01-28-2010, 12:11 PM
According to a bunch of tweets from Fay, doesn't look like we're interested in Damon - for now, since he's asking too much (Boras). If he drops, of course we'd be interested, along with about 17 other teams.
Apparently the call to Boras was in regards to Nady, before he signed with the Cubs.

Looks like it might be for Gomes, and maybe Cabrera. Lopez might be an interest, but I'm guessing that's either a darkhorse, or nobody's talking about it. More than likely just speculation due to the reported call into Boras.

PEACE

-BLEEDS

fugowitribe
01-28-2010, 12:43 PM
i think the Reds become the favorites in the division if they are able to sign Damon and Cabrera/Lopez

Easy........I don't know about favorites. We haven't played memorable baseball in September for a long time. They have to do something on the field before they can be considered favorites.

mattfeet
01-28-2010, 01:07 PM
USA Today's Bob Nightengale tweets that Gary Sheffield might be a good fit for the Reds, and that Sheff was "on his way" to the Diamondbacks before they signed Adam LaRoche.

http://blog.internetnews.com/apatrizio/do-not-want-dog.jpg

wojo1025
01-28-2010, 01:26 PM
Was just about to post the same thing about Sheff being a "perfect fit" for the Reds. Ugh. I'm not seeing it~

bounty37h
01-28-2010, 02:49 PM
Damon, yes, "we need another good OFer" and he would be great with Stubbs and BRuce.

Stubbs-CF
Damon-LF
Phillips-2B
Votto-1B
Rolen-3B
Bruce-RF
Hernandez/Hannigan C
Janish-SS

Whats that got to do with Damon? Think peeps want him for his bat, not his field play. Last I checked, bieing able to throw is part of fielding. I do want him though, but doubt we can/would afford what he is likely to want.

schmidty622
01-28-2010, 05:39 PM
Felipe Lopez is the way to go if he can still pick it at short.

He actually had a pretty darn productive 2009 at the plate so I would have no problem bringing him back.

Redsfan320
01-28-2010, 08:21 PM
Per MLBTR, per Yahoo Sports' Tim Brown:

"Cabrera is choosing between offers from the Reds and Rockies."

Sounds like it's 50/50! Anyone know how much dough the Rox have to spare? (hopefully less than the Reds).

SullyGator
01-28-2010, 08:49 PM
I feel like Felipe would want too much money. And I can't be confident he will be able to match what he did last year.

Cabrera seems like a solid choice. As long as he doesn't lead his position in errors again. Sign him for a year and let him and Janish fight it out if need be. If they get him cheap I don't see how it could hurt them too much.

I'm still bitter they couldn't get Damon :thumbdown

mattfeet
01-28-2010, 08:52 PM
The front office has completely impressed me this off-season. Even if we lose out on Cabrera I think they've proven that:

A) Theyre willing to take chances - - i.e. Chapman signing
B) Theyre serious (for once) about building a winning team.
C) They follow through with rumored signings and it's not ALL hot air.
D) They devise a game plan and STICK WITH IT. i.e. - young ball club w/ a few veteran presence

Regardless of the outcome of Cabrera, Im happy with this off-season.

-Matt

cbowen2112
01-28-2010, 10:32 PM
This might be the best off season by far in a while, if the Reds can get Cabrera.

roby
01-28-2010, 11:56 PM
I think I prefer Felipe over Cabrera. He is a little better hitter. Has shown flashes of being a good fielder and is at the optimal age to produce. And is WAY younger than Cabrera. I'm probably in the minority here, but I'm pulling for Lopez!

Griffey012
01-29-2010, 01:48 AM
I think I prefer Felipe over Cabrera. He is a little better hitter. Has shown flashes of being a good fielder and is at the optimal age to produce. And is WAY younger than Cabrera. I'm probably in the minority here, but I'm pulling for Lopez!

Lopez is a horrible fielder at SS. Cabrera had a bad UZR last season but an oppositely good one the year before. Cabrera most likely brings us defense that is average and a much better bat than Janish. Lopez brings a much better bat and much worse defense. Cabrera is the better option their age is irrelevant because neither are the long term solution, but a 1 year stop gap.

Redsfan320
01-29-2010, 03:55 AM
Leaving for Orlando (so early :yawn: ), so no internet for ~24 hours.

Hope I don't miss anything!

Later,

Griffey012
01-29-2010, 09:41 AM
Leaving for Orlando (so early :yawn: ), so no internet for ~24 hours.

Hope I don't miss anything!

Later,

Wouldnt you rather miss a big signing, than not miss nothing at all? :thumbup:

FlyerFanatic
01-29-2010, 10:00 AM
Buster_ESPN

Heard this: Today is the day Orlando Cabrera will choose between offers from the Rockies and the Reds...

buster olney tweet

mattfeet
01-29-2010, 10:04 AM
Dunno how reliable 'ole Bowden is, but....

JimBowdenXMFOX

As previously reported by Ken Rosenthal, John Fay and Tim Brown....Reds and Orlando Cabrera getting close to one year deal

Trace's Daddy
01-29-2010, 10:40 AM
USA Today's Bob Nightengale tweets that Gary Sheffield might be a good fit for the Reds, and that Sheff was "on his way" to the Diamondbacks before they signed Adam LaRoche.

http://blog.internetnews.com/apatrizio/do-not-want-dog.jpg

http://mos.totalfilm.com/images/m/monty-python-and-the-holy-grail-02-800-75.jpg

RUN AWAY!!!

roby
01-29-2010, 11:25 AM
Lopez is a horrible fielder at SS. Cabrera had a bad UZR last season but an oppositely good one the year before. Cabrera most likely brings us defense that is average and a much better bat than Janish. Lopez brings a much better bat and much worse defense. Cabrera is the better option their age is irrelevant because neither are the long term solution, but a 1 year stop gap.

Wasn't a lot of Lopez' fielding problems attributed to immaturity and lack of concentration? not ability?

BLEEDS
01-29-2010, 11:47 AM
The more I read about Cabrera, the more I like him.

Veteran, solid bat, good d - last year looks to be an aberration UZR-wise, an ORG poster said he watched every game the last two months and said he looked good - great intensity and clubhouse guy, been to the postseason. Basically, everything Paul Janish is not minus the "wizard D" monicker that Paul seems to have, albeit arguably still unproven/debatable.

I'll take the .100+ OPS increase and take my chances that his D is average to above average. For one year, possibly two (with an option) we can live with that risk.
Cozart is probably the heir-apparent anyways, Janish is a project at best at this point, so give me an "interim" guy who looks to be pretty low-risk, and as noted is a good to great (SS-relative) bat, until one of the younger guys proves he's a better all-around option.

PEACE

-BLEEDS

BoldOD
01-29-2010, 04:51 PM
Cabrera and Gomes would punctuate a nice off season for the front office.

mdccclxix
01-29-2010, 06:03 PM
http://www.fangraphs.com/fantasy/index.php/has-orlando-cabrera-lost-a-step

Everyone talks about his last year numbers, but damn I see he was pretty great before that.

The link above talks about the decline last season and one person mentions how he was overweight going into the year. Perhaps if he signs he'll show up ready to be 2000-2008 OCab.

malcontent
01-29-2010, 08:46 PM
Agreed.

Griffey012
01-29-2010, 11:48 PM
Wasn't a lot of Lopez' fielding problems attributed to immaturity and lack of concentration? not ability?

Concentration is part of a player's ability. Staying focused for a million pitches over a course of a 162 game season takes skill. Either way, Lopez has still never shown to be a good defensive SS or even league average. Would much rather have Cabrera.

mikemo14
01-30-2010, 12:58 AM
Would anyone be shocked if the Reds brought David Weathers to camp as a non roster invitee?

BigPoppa
01-30-2010, 01:24 AM

I concur.

BEETTLEBUG
01-30-2010, 08:59 AM
What about signing Roco?

Redsfan320
01-30-2010, 10:02 AM
What about signing Roco?

I'm a big fan, and was hoping we'd sign him last year. I'm all for it, but he'd have to prove himself in ST.

Vottomatic
01-30-2010, 01:36 PM
Would anyone be shocked if the Reds brought David Weathers to camp as a non roster invitee?

Yes I would.

wojo1025
01-30-2010, 05:03 PM
Reports are swirling that the Reds are very close to signing both Cabrera AND Gomes!!

cbowen2112
01-30-2010, 05:59 PM
SATURDAY, 3:10pm: Cabrera is leaning towards accepting the Reds' offer, tweets Tim Brown of Yahoo Sports. He adds that a deal will likely get done today.

FRIDAY, 4:39pm: Reds GM Walt Jocketty tells John Fay of the Cincinnati Enquirer that the club should know within a couple days if Cabrera is going to accept its offer. Jocketty hasn't given Cabrera a deadline.

The Reds have offered Jonny Gomes a minor league deal, Jocketty confirmed.

http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/

Baseball Lover
01-30-2010, 06:19 PM
I just don't think Cabrera is an upgrade over Janish at this point, especially with Cabrera entering his decline phase so rapidly.

cbowen2112
01-30-2010, 06:24 PM
If offense is what we need added to the IF....

.212 vs .284?

Which would you rather have?

mattfeet
01-30-2010, 06:26 PM
"Jocketty's patience pays off with Cabrera and Gomes close to signing with Reds and Castellini's payroll budget flexibility a key."

WOOT!

Baseball Lover
01-30-2010, 06:55 PM
If offense is what we need added to the IF....

.212 vs .284?

Which would you rather have?

I definitely wouldn't use average to justify an offensive argument, especially when Janish's average was effected by an unlucky .247 BABIP.

Instead look at OBP, which .296 vs. .316. Not so big of a difference now, and that still doesn't factor in the boost Janish is expected to have when his BABIP goes into at least semi-normal range.

Factor that in with Janish's superior defense and the concept that Janish is making mere pennies compared to Cabrera, it just doesn't make sense.

FlyerFanatic
01-30-2010, 06:56 PM
"Jocketty's patience pays off with Cabrera and Gomes close to signing with Reds and Castellini's payroll budget flexibility a key."

WOOT!

where is that from? source?

Redsfan320
01-30-2010, 07:11 PM
I'm thrilled! I like the O-Cab signing, as long as he's not handed the starting spot (which I don't think he will be), but I'm especially pumped about Gomes.

I think he ends up as starting LF.

cbowen2112
01-30-2010, 07:16 PM
I definitely wouldn't use average to justify an offensive argument, especially when Janish's average was effected by an unlucky .247 BABIP.

Instead look at OBP, which .296 vs. .316. Not so big of a difference now, and that still doesn't factor in the boost Janish is expected to have when his BABIP goes into at least semi-normal range.

Factor that in with Janish's superior defense and the concept that Janish is making mere pennies compared to Cabrera, it just doesn't make sense.

How many MLB playoff teams has Janish played on?

You cannot discredit veteran leadership. See: Scott Rolen

I would rather have the .316 OBP.

Cabrera gets hits and gets on base in the AL. In the NL he should handle a much weaker pitching league.

As for BABIP, you can say the same thing about Jay Bruce. If he doesn't start getting a little more lucky, then we should have the same argument there. IMO, luck is also a factor in defense. When you switch over to a turf field like Minnesota, it is not easy to catch balls on a hop etc. We know Janish is a defensive wiz, but Cabrera is not terrible. He is leaps and bounds better than Gonzalez. Also, Cabrera fits into the two hole. Janish, no matter how unlucky, should never fit there.

Baseball Lover
01-30-2010, 07:38 PM
Neither player should ever be in the two hole. Cabrera is a hideous 2-hole option. This money could have been spent much better else where. We'll see how it works out though.

BLEEDS
01-31-2010, 12:31 PM
Cabrera's OBP the 3 years before 2009 were all .340/.345-ish

Janish is a black hole with the bat, period. His career OPS versus RHP in the MINORS is sub .700.
I know some people think Janish is the next coming of Concepcion, but that ain't happening.

As one poster in tORG said, for Janish to have any value at all, he doesn't just have to be good with the glove, he has to be really, REALLY good. Like best in the league good.
I'm not read to anoint him that after 63 starts in the Bigs.

If nothing else, at least there is a back-up plan. If Cabrera's D falls of so much that his bat can't overcome it, we can go back to Janish.
If Janish continues to hit sub .200 and he suddenly is just a "good" glove, what was our option? Keep running him out there and batting him second per DUHsty the Toothpick?

It's a great signing IMO.

Now, get us Gomes and we are practically looking at a REAL MLB roster, with no positions below league average out on the field.

PEACE

-BLEEDS

Griffey012
01-31-2010, 12:35 PM
Neither player should ever be in the two hole. Cabrera is a hideous 2-hole option. This money could have been spent much better else where. We'll see how it works out though.

Where could we have spent the 4 million dollar commitment any better at? We aren't getting Damon for 4 million. At least now we do have 2 SS's, if we start Janish we have no backup either. We avoided the potential at have 1/3rd of our offense as a total black hole.

ILoveWilly
02-01-2010, 02:56 AM
Great signing, I'm pumped. If only we could get off the hook for Taveras somehow, who is the black hole on the roster. I would even give him away for free and pay his salary for practically any spare piece out there.

Kingspoint
02-01-2010, 05:55 AM
Cabrera's OBP the 3 years before 2009 were all .340/.345-ish

What in the world does that have to do with 2010?

Have you never seen a projection for a 35-year old before?

Kingspoint
02-01-2010, 05:57 AM
You cannot discredit veteran leadership. See: Scott Rolen

Veteran Leadership accounts for nothing.

These are all grown men who are playing for the money. Money motivates them (and some personal pride). Nobody's going to play better or worse because a "veteran" is on the team.

Redsfan320
02-01-2010, 06:43 AM
KP, I get where you're going, but I think there is something to be said for veteran leadership.

Someone experienced out there to rally the team. A father figure, in a way, I suppose.

:bracesforimpact:

FlyerFanatic
02-01-2010, 09:49 AM
has there been an official announcement of the cabrera signing yet?

BLEEDS
02-01-2010, 10:40 AM
What in the world does that have to do with 2010?

Have you never seen a projection for a 35-year old before?

Well it's called "trending" and "statistics" and "outliers".

PEACE

-BLEEDS