PDA

View Full Version : Lost Season 6 (Final Season!)

Pages : 1 [2] 3

Redsfaithful
04-10-2010, 03:10 PM
Dare I say the best ever??

I had that thought. It's top 5 at least, imo.

marcshoe
04-11-2010, 12:02 AM
I must be a bit daft, I'm still not seeing any answers. I enjoy whats going on, but I don't see anything being resolved or answered yet.

I don't think it's so much that answers are being presented as it is that various threads are coming together in ways that make answers possible. The characters are in place, and the part each of them has to play is coming into focus. The new questions that are being asked are ones that, when resolved, will reveal the answers to the big one--what is this all really about?

We aren't being directly given clear answers yet, but answers are now possible.

HotCorner
04-13-2010, 11:50 PM
:eek:

HeatherC1212
04-14-2010, 12:58 AM
I think my brain exploded tonight. Wow, what a great episode! After starting off kind of slow, they seem to be going at a breakneck pace now with these episodes. The ride to the finish is going to be a wild one! :eek:

Jack mentioned Juliet....that alone made this episode awesome for me. THANK YOU. :D

Trace's Daddy
04-14-2010, 08:39 AM
This has got to be the best show on TV. I'll miss it once it concludes, but I think I'll watch it all over again to catch what all I didn't notice the first go around.

Think there will be a twist at the end where Jacob is actually evil? Though it seems he plays the role of god and gives everyone free will.

Oh yeah, who was that boy in the woods?! A young Jacob?

redsmetz
04-14-2010, 09:47 AM
This has got to be the best show on TV. I'll miss it once it concludes, but I think I'll watch it all over again to catch what all I didn't notice the first go around.

Think there will be a twist at the end where Jacob is actually evil? Though it seems he plays the role of god and gives everyone free will.

Everything is ramping up and the last three episodes have been jammed full of things.

SPOILER ALERT - DON'T READ FURTHER IF YOU HAVEN'T WATCHED LAST NIGHT'S EPISODE!

Since there were so many other things in this episode, I had already forgotten the kid again. Whoever he is, he's got Flocke spooked. He wants no part of him, telling Desmond to not pay any attention to him. Who was the other person who saw the kid? Sawyer?

I wasn't surprised that Ilana went "boom" - both my wife and I kept wondering why that dynamite wasn't blowing up the way she was being so cavalier with it. Heavens! Arzt was careful as all get out and he went up in smoke.

An answer was arrived at!!! Michael tells Hurley that the whispers are folks like him stuck on the island. And it sounds like the "ghosts" don't see each other, because Michael told Hurley to apologize to Libby for him if he sees her.

Was anyone surprised when Flocke pushed Desmond down the well? I figured he'd end up down there, but I thought he'd get him to turn the wheel and I was trying to get my mind around what havoc that would wreak. The preview shows Desmond sitting down there, somewhat bloodied, but awake.

While sideways Desmond is beginning to seek out the others from the safely landed flight, he flat out just runs over John Locke, teacher. I'm guessing he needs to prevent Locke "the vessel" from getting to the island or over to the other world or whatever. Head spinning there.

Libby in the sideways is, not surprisingly, another "conduit" to the original world (same as Daniel and Charlie, likewise dead back there). And Hurley sees it too when he kisses Libby. I believe Desmond saw it too in his encounter with Charlie when they crashed into the water.

I'm sure I'm leaving some other stuff out.

Cant' wait for next week's segment!

yab1112
04-14-2010, 12:02 PM
Last night's ep was awesome! Can't wait to find out who the boy is:eek:

Redsmetz, I hadn't made the connection that all the "conduits" are people that died. Good call.

redsmetz
04-14-2010, 12:17 PM

Redsmetz, I hadn't made the connection that all the "conduits" are people that died. Good call.

I'd like to take credit for it but either someone else here mentioned that some weeks ago, or my daughter said it to me.

LoganBuck
04-14-2010, 03:03 PM
Gotta believe the team of Ben, Miles, and Richard will answer as much of the left over stuff about Dharma on their trip to Dharmaville.

As to Desmond running over Locke, maybe Locke has to be dead in order for whatever this is to occur?

The only thing that really ticks me off, is that as we get closer to the end, the number of unanswered questions doesn't really get smaller. The show invested so much time to storylines, such as pregnant women dying, What Dharma was up to, etc, etc, etc. It is blatantly apparent that they are just going to abandon some of those storylines.

OUReds
04-14-2010, 03:48 PM
Gotta believe the team of Ben, Miles, and Richard will answer as much of the left over stuff about Dharma on their trip to Dharmaville.

As to Desmond running over Locke, maybe Locke has to be dead in order for whatever this is to occur?

The only thing that really ticks me off, is that as we get closer to the end, the number of unanswered questions doesn't really get smaller. The show invested so much time to storylines, such as pregnant women dying, What Dharma was up to, etc, etc, etc. It is blatantly apparent that they are just going to abandon some of those storylines.

Gotta leave some stuff for the movie!

One quibble with Redsmetz's great post, Michael says he is trapped on the island due to what he has done. I tend to think that Michael cannot apologize to Libby because she was not trapped on the island like he was when she died. So it's possible those trapped on the island at death are still aware of each other.

macro
04-15-2010, 02:37 AM

I think the boy bears a striking resemblance to Jacob, so that's going to be my guess.

MWM
04-15-2010, 11:29 AM
I don't think that was the same boy as from earlier in the season. The first one was more blonde than the one from this week...... at least I think that's the case, but could be wrong.

reds1869
04-15-2010, 11:50 AM
Just throwing this out there, but could the boy have some connection to Charlie?

klw
04-15-2010, 01:14 PM
My guess is that the boy is a younger version of Locke/Man in Black/ Smoke Monster, died on the island, and like Michael is trapped there but has been there on the island so long that he is able to manifest himself to a greater degree.

or is Aaron.

freestyle55
04-15-2010, 01:43 PM

I think him running over Locke is his way of getting Locke to see Jack at the hospital to get his spine fixed. He can't just go up to Locke and say "Go see Jack Shepard" I'm assuming without breaking the "rules", but who wants to bet that he ends up a St. Sebastian (I think that's the hospital) where all of the Lost characters have been going.

I think Jack vs. Locke is the key, and this action of getting Locke towards Jack on the Alt-timeline will play a big role...

yab1112
04-15-2010, 01:59 PM
or is Aaron.

I don't know how it would fit in but that would be super cool.

It would be interesting to go back and look at all the warnings and advice dead people have been giving the Losties for the past 5+ seasons to try and sort out the cause-and-effect chain of the overall schemes of Jacob and MIB.

Things like someone warning Claire not to let anyone raise her baby (can't remember who :confused:) or Ben's daughter Alex (really MIB) telling Ben to do whatever Locke says.

Redsfaithful
04-15-2010, 07:08 PM
What did everyone think of Flocke asking Desmond if he knew who he was and Desmond answering "Sure. You're John Locke."? Part of me is hoping there's something to that.

redsmetz
04-15-2010, 07:33 PM
What did everyone think of Flocke asking Desmond if he knew who he was and Desmond answering "Sure. You're John Locke."? Part of me is hoping there's something to that.

That was an interesting interchange because everyone says straight up that he's not Locke. And yet Desmond, who seems fairly aware now says exactly the opposite. I like the supposition that Desmond ran over Locke to get him to the hospital. Of course Locke might have said, "you could have just asked."

savafan
04-15-2010, 09:23 PM

Maybe the body in the coffin wasn't Locke? :confused:

Yachtzee
04-15-2010, 09:31 PM
I don't know how it would fit in but that would be super cool.

It would be interesting to go back and look at all the warnings and advice dead people have been giving the Losties for the past 5+ seasons to try and sort out the cause-and-effect chain of the overall schemes of Jacob and MIB.

Things like someone warning Claire not to let anyone raise her baby (can't remember who :confused:) or Ben's daughter Alex (really MIB) telling Ben to do whatever Locke says.

I think you have to focus on whether the dead person was actually the dead person or was MIB posing as the dead person. It seems to me that MIB can manifest himself as people whose bodies are located on the island. For example, he could be Christian Shepard, Alex, or Yemi (Eko's brother) because their bodies were on the island. It seems to me that in those cases, MIB is trying to manipulate people to his own ends. For example, appearing to Locke as Christian Shepard allowed MIB to manipulate Locke into the situation where he dies and is brought back to the island so that MIB can appear as him to manipulate the other people on the island. He appears as Christian Shepard to Claire to manipulate her. He appears as Alex to get Ben to listen to Fake Locke. He appears as Yemi to attempt to manipulate Eko, but ends up killing him when it becomes apparent that Eko can no longer be manipulated by Fake Yemi.

LoganBuck
04-15-2010, 10:54 PM
I think you have to focus on whether the dead person was actually the dead person or was MIB posing as the dead person. It seems to me that MIB can manifest himself as people whose bodies are located on the island. For example, he could be Christian Shepard, Alex, or Yemi (Eko's brother) because their bodies were on the island. It seems to me that in those cases, MIB is trying to manipulate people to his own ends. For example, appearing to Locke as Christian Shepard allowed MIB to manipulate Locke into the situation where he dies and is brought back to the island so that MIB can appear as him to manipulate the other people on the island. He appears as Christian Shepard to Claire to manipulate her. He appears as Alex to get Ben to listen to Fake Locke. He appears as Yemi to attempt to manipulate Eko, but ends up killing him when it becomes apparent that Eko can no longer be manipulated by Fake Yemi.

Yet Michael appeared to Hurley this past week. I didn't interpret that as specific to Hurley's unique ability, because the others in the group heard the whispers. I really don't think that we can read too much into who was the MIB, and who wasn't yet.

Yachtzee
04-15-2010, 11:13 PM
Yet Michael appeared to Hurley this past week. I didn't interpret that as specific to Hurley's unique ability, because the others in the group heard the whispers. I really don't think that we can read too much into who was the MIB, and who wasn't yet.

I think Michael was just who he is, Michael. First, Michael's body isn't on the island, it's somewhere in the ocean, as he blew up on the tanker. Second, it's already been established that MIB is stuck in Locke form for some reason.

yab1112
04-16-2010, 12:33 AM

Well said.

Another thing I was thinking is what if when/if the two timelines connect in some fashion there's a Locke vs. Flocke battle of some sort. That's not a theory based on evidence or facts, but ya know...it would be friggin awesome :cool:

MrCinatit
04-16-2010, 12:50 AM

I agree it is the best show in TV right now, and is quite up there on the all time list. However, I think the ending is just about right - this is a series that is best ended on its own terms, and it is ending before it gets completely stale and old.

I've long thought Jacob is evil. Let's face it - while his gifts seem very nice, they also seem to be huge curses. Richard does not seem to be very happy about living forever. Hurley is not thrilled about seeing and talking to dead people. Ben's ability to talk himself out of any situation seems to be quite the curse as well.
At one time, I thought maybe the man in black gave out the same types of "gifts" as well (Hurley keeps running into the same numbers and has the whole good luck/bad luck thing...and, everyone does like Hurley) - but the limited time that the show has remaining is quickly turning that into another one of my crazy ideas that is not going to work out (SEE: Sayid was also going to be a smoke monster after being deemed sick. Hey, they all can't be gems).

Everything is ramping up and the last three episodes have been jammed full of things.

SPOILER ALERT - DON'T READ FURTHER IF YOU HAVEN'T WATCHED LAST NIGHT'S EPISODE!

Since there were so many other things in this episode, I had already forgotten the kid again. Whoever he is, he's got Flocke spooked. He wants no part of him, telling Desmond to not pay any attention to him. Who was the other person who saw the kid? Sawyer?

Most likely another one of my lame brains, but I think the kid might be more important than we are being lead to think so. I think he is a whole other character, a third of the immortal so called gods of the island. Jacob and the man in black are fighting over opening this Pandora's Box, maybe this kid is an overseer or an instigator of some sorts.
I think this is the same kid we've seen before and his change in appearance can be explained by one simple thing: real time (our time) has passed and the actor playing the original kid has aged.
Again, this is me sort of grasping for straws here.

Yeah, I think Locke has to be dead in the alternative universe in order for this to work.
I've always said, there will be quite a few questions which remain unanswered and mysteries remained wrapped once this is all said and done - and I will be very disappointed if everything IS explained in the very end. (I almost had nightmares earlier of Richard giving us a Broadway-esque"TA-DA!" moment in the last seconds of the show.). And since Abrams has shown a propensity to use other media forms to give out answers, those answers could come to us in another form (or even already be out there, but not yet found...again, SEE: Cloverfield).

HeatherC1212
04-16-2010, 10:44 AM
I've always said, there will be quite a few questions which remain unanswered and mysteries remained wrapped once this is all said and done - and I will be very disappointed if everything IS explained in the very end. (I almost had nightmares earlier of Richard giving us a Broadway-esque"TA-DA!" moment in the last seconds of the show.). And since Abrams has shown a propensity to use other media forms to give out answers, those answers could come to us in another form (or even already be out there, but not yet found...again, SEE: Cloverfield).

Just as an FYI....JJ Abrams hasn't been involved with Lost since the first season. It's Damon Lindorff and Carlton Cuse who run the show and have for most of it's tenure (not to say that JJ hasn't had any influence on anything but he has said several times in interviews that he hasn't been involved with the show since that first season).

MrCinatit
04-16-2010, 03:30 PM
Just as an FYI....JJ Abrams hasn't been involved with Lost since the first season. It's Damon Lindorff and Carlton Cuse who run the show and have for most of it's tenure (not to say that JJ hasn't had any influence on anything but he has said several times in interviews that he hasn't been involved with the show since that first season).

I'd had a feeling on that (was just too lazy to do the research) - however, I wonder if he had a tiny list of guidelines he'd hope would come from the show.
In addition, Lindelof has been "hanging around" with Abrams for quite some time - perhaps they are on the same mental wavelength. And since Cuse was one of the writers/producers for The Adventures of Brisco County Jr., well, he just about has to be on the same wavelength.

marcshoe
04-18-2010, 09:29 PM
I used to have a job that I hated, part of which occasionally involved me talking to famous people (Sheryl Crow, Christopher Guest, Seth McFarland, Annette O'Toole, etc.) Most of the time I didn't mention that I'd heard of them--they likely knew that. Right about the time Lost was finishing its first season, I talked to Carlton Cuse, but couldn't place the name. As soon as he hung up, I remembered Brisco County, Jr., and wished I'd remembered in time to tell him that was one of my all-time favorite shows. Then shortly after, he hooked up with "Lost".

Anyway, he's at the top of the list of favorite celebs I've talked to. Well, maybe right after Susan Harris, Golden Girls & Soap creator, and that's only because she talked to me for a long time and was both friendly and funny.

My least favorite, btw, was Maureen Dowd, who was just plain rude.

But man, I'd like to talk to Cuse now!

durl
04-20-2010, 10:54 AM

I'm thinking that there IS something to that. Perhaps Locke has had a connection to MIB since birth? (cue Twilight Zone theme song...)

- The answer to the "whispers" was kinda interesting. Reading the transcripts on Lostpedia made it seem as though they were observing what was going on with the Island's current residents. Even so, did we learn WHY they whisper or why they're heard at certain times? I didn't catch it if they told us. And why are they "trapped" there? Why can't they "move on?"

- A possibly HUGE nugget was Richard's comment that Jacob "never tells us what to do." That's something that will cause you to review stuff that the Others have done in the name of Jacob, including when Widmore told a younger Ben that Jacob wanted Baby Alex to be killed. If Jacob didn't order it, then why did Widmore say it? And don't forget The Purge. I've read here (and elsewhere) the theories that Jacob might be evil because he ordered the deaths of so many. Richard's comment throws a wrench into that theory. But it also raises the question of why Richard went along with The Purge if he knew Jacob didn't order it.

- I figured Locke 2.0 would try to kill Desmond. What I thought was interesting is that the torch that Locke dropped made a splash, but in the previews we see Desmond sitting on dirt about 10-15' down.

macro
04-20-2010, 02:23 PM
Does anyone remember the scene in the pilot episode when Locke was shown sitting on the beach alone, and he had this sorta evil, ominous expression on his face? IIRC Walt gave him an extended stare because of it.

Looking back, I think that was meant to foreshadow what has happened this season.

M2
04-21-2010, 12:30 AM
I think Miles is the only character who hasn't talked to Smoky Locke (which seems to be mighty important). Just sayin'.

HeatherC1212
04-21-2010, 01:08 AM
I think Miles is the only character who hasn't talked to Smoky Locke (which seems to be mighty important). Just sayin'.

Good catch and I think you're onto something. Interesting.

Loved tonight's episode mainly because I like all the interaction between the characters. It seems like they're setting things up for an awesome showdown in the end. I hope the endgame merges the islanders with the sideways world somehow because I don't want sideways world to just go away but I can't imagine the island world always remaining the real world either. Should be an exciting few weeks! :thumbup:

redsmetz
04-21-2010, 06:25 AM
Good catch and I think you're onto something. Interesting.

Loved tonight's episode mainly because I like all the interaction between the characters. It seems like they're setting things up for an awesome showdown in the end. I hope the endgame merges the islanders with the sideways world somehow because I don't want sideways world to just go away but I can't imagine the island world always remaining the real world either. Should be an exciting few weeks! :thumbup:

I wondered about how they'll change (merge?), particularly following the interchange between Sayid and Desmond. I presume that Sayid, in fact, didn't kill Desmond. Desmond asked how Flocke was going to bring back Nadia(?) and that seemed to effect Sayid. My wife also said she thought there were a difference in flaky Sayid when he answered Flocke as to whether he had actually shot and killed Desmond, just a hint of a smile when he lied that he had (if that is not the case).

Interesting how Sun seemed to freak out when she was wheeled into the hospital alongside Locke, "it's him, it's him!". Perhaps being injured, she's seeing across the chasm between the two worlds.

Everyone in the sideways world are pretty much converging at this point with the exception of Charlie. They're picking up the pace now.

RiverRat13
04-21-2010, 10:38 AM
Everyone in the sideways world are pretty much converging at this point with the exception of Charlie. They're picking up the pace now.

No pun intended, right :)

redsmetz
04-21-2010, 11:58 AM
No pun intended, right :)

:clap: I'd love to say pun fully intended, but it wasn't, but I'm kicking myself for not catching that one. I stand in awe of you...

durl
04-22-2010, 10:30 AM
I've just got to say that having all the characters linking up at the hospital and the law office was really wild! Someone mentioned that things are moving fast and I thought the same thing last night.

- Desmond talked to Sayid. Claire said you're with Locke after you listen to him. Perhaps Desmond "claimed" Sayid? I can't remember the exact words, but Faraday told Desmond that "love" changed how they saw what we would call the sideways world. On the Island, Desmond appealed to Sayid's love for Nadia.

- We're apparently seeing that those claimed by MIB can be redeemed from "the dark side."

MWM
04-22-2010, 12:15 PM

Interesting...I hadn't thought about that. But that could explain why when Miles was "kidnapped" by Ilana's people to try to get him to come to the island with him instead of Widmore's people, and Miles asked why it was so important he go with them, dude responded something like, "because a war is coming and if you go with them the wrong side will win."

yab1112
04-22-2010, 12:30 PM

What about Frank the pilot?

LoganBuck
04-22-2010, 02:44 PM
What about Frank the pilot?

He definitely has heard Flocke speak, one of the first really. Last season in Dharmaville, and then again this season as part of Hurley's group when they went to join up with Locke.

yab1112
04-22-2010, 03:18 PM
He definitely has heard Flocke speak, one of the first really. Last season in Dharmaville, and then again this season as part of Hurley's group when they went to join up with Locke.

Forgot about the Dharmaville meet up. Now Miles is with Richard and Ben off getting more dynamite. Can't wait to see that group again.:thumbup:

FutureRedsGM
04-27-2010, 06:52 PM
What's the special occasion that's preventing a new Lost tonight? My cable guide says we are getting the "Richard" episode again.

Joseph
04-27-2010, 07:43 PM
What's the special occasion that's preventing a new Lost tonight? My cable guide says we are getting the "Richard" episode again.

I was 99% sure there was no reruns.

RedsManRick
04-27-2010, 08:09 PM

Probably just trying to time the final episodes in a way that maximizes viewership. I'm not sure why that involves skipping tonight though.

macro
04-27-2010, 11:33 PM
Well, there's 45 minutes I'll have freed up tomorrow night. Thanks for the heads-up. I just deleted it.

LoganBuck
04-28-2010, 12:22 AM
I was so ticked, I thought my DVR didn't record it. Then I come here and read this. Phewww

TheBigLebowski
04-28-2010, 08:20 AM
Yeah, what was up with last night? I had to break 3 engagements to ensure I'd be home for the episode and I get a re-run, albeit a great re-run...

reds1869
04-28-2010, 09:21 AM
It's ABC; they are utterly incapable of showing a long stretch of new programming!

HeatherC1212
04-28-2010, 12:44 PM
We had to endure at least two, if not three, rerun breaks from the show last year and IIRC they were only a couple weeks apart too. I'm quite happy there's only one rerun this time and now they're going to run the last few episodes all in one block up until the May 23rd finale. I kind of liked having a break last night because this week has been insane for me and not having to stop everything and watch Lost worked out well for me to get some things done. I'm more than ready for it to be back next week though. :)

TeamCasey
04-28-2010, 08:11 PM
I was NOT happy!

HotCorner
04-29-2010, 02:56 PM
I had a colleague visit my office for a project at the beginning of April and one of our non-work subjects we discussed was TV shows. I recommended Lost to her since she had never seen it. She bought the DVD's and is now watching season 5 in less than a month. She loves it!

macro
04-29-2010, 05:03 PM
Wow, that's a Lost marathon. We had never watched it until SciFi Channel started showing it, beginning the the pilot, in September 2008. They showed four episodes every Monday night. We watched the first 3 1/2 seasons in four months and then bought the DVD of season four in order to get it finished before season 5 started last year.

It was nice to not have to wait so long to find out things.

MrCinatit
04-29-2010, 06:34 PM
I know this is a stretch, but could we say that, technically, Sun has not talked to Locke?

LoganBuck
04-29-2010, 11:33 PM
I know this is a stretch, but could we say that, technically, Sun has not talked to Locke?

Nope, she talked to him when Frank did last season. She was the first of the Oceanic Six to talk to him.

Homer Bailey
04-30-2010, 01:47 AM
I don't keep up with this thread, and don't remember where the comment was, but the kid that was shown in the most recent episode (I think it was the most recent) is 100% the kid that we previously saw. The first time we saw him he had "light" hair. The 2nd time, it was dark. Hmmmm....

P.S. I suggest you guys check out this Lost Message Board if you're ever board. Some awesome theories and really smart people on there.

http://forum.lostpedia.com/main-forum-f2.html

BuckeyeRed27
04-30-2010, 01:25 PM
I don't keep up with this thread, and don't remember where the comment was, but the kid that was shown in the most recent episode (I think it was the most recent) is 100% the kid that we previously saw. The first time we saw him he had "light" hair. The 2nd time, it was dark. Hmmmm....

P.S. I suggest you guys check out this Lost Message Board if you're ever board. Some awesome theories and really smart people on there.

http://forum.lostpedia.com/main-forum-f2.html

I love the Lostpedia message board. You do have to be careful sometimes with peoples "theories". It hasn't been as bad lately but a couple seasons ago a "theory" I read on Friday was a complete spoiler for Tuesday's episode.

yab1112
04-30-2010, 02:16 PM
I love the Lostpedia message board. You do have to be careful sometimes with peoples "theories". It hasn't been as bad lately but a couple seasons ago a "theory" I read on Friday was a complete spoiler for Tuesday's episode.

I used to be addicted to it but for the very reason you mention, I stopped visiting the site. Pretty much ruined season 5 for me.

There was one epic thread that is the stuff of legend on Lostpedia. A less than articulate poster claimed to have seen a dinosaur head in some smoke. A debate ensued, but was quickly ended when the guy uploaded a screenshot where he had traced an absurd outline of a dinosaur head in the smoke. Hilarity and ridicule quickly followed.

Here's the thread if you have some time to kill (Thread has over 4,000 pages :eek:): http://forum.lostpedia.com/dinasaur-head-lost-t19893p5.html?highlight=dinosaur

HotCorner
05-04-2010, 11:27 PM
Awesome return! Next week's look very promising - a Jacob/MIB centric episode.

MWM
05-04-2010, 11:31 PM
The dialogue between Jack and Locke at the hospital was nothing short of brilliant.

kbrake
05-04-2010, 11:44 PM
I thought it was a great episode and can't wait for next week. Should learn quite a bit.

I'm thinking two more weeks and then it wraps up on Sunday the 23rd is that right or did I just completely make that up?

HotCorner
05-05-2010, 12:15 AM
I thought it was a great episode and can't wait for next week. Should learn quite a bit.

I'm thinking two more weeks and then it wraps up on Sunday the 23rd is that right or did I just completely make that up?

You are correct.

yab1112
05-05-2010, 02:01 AM
Man they're really moving things along now aren't they? This was a great episode overall but a sad ending.

Where did Sayid say Desmond was? I couldn't quite make out what he said.

durl
05-05-2010, 09:31 AM
I'm torn over this one. I wasn't pleased with the outcome (Sawyer...you weren't too high on my list before and you just took a nosedive) but I thought the flash-sideways was GREAT. I wasn't a huge fan of them when they started but as we're seeing them come together with what's happening/happened on the Island I'm really liking them.

Man they're really moving things along now aren't they? This was a great episode overall but a sad ending.

That he was in a well about a half-mile(?) inland.

RiverRat13
05-05-2010, 09:54 AM

In a well a half mile south of the camp where they just were or something to that effect.

RIP Sayid. Probably my favorite character.

klw
05-05-2010, 02:17 PM
In a well a half mile south of the camp where they just were or something to that effect.

RIP Sayid. Probably my favorite character.

Well he is not dead in the alternate flash sideways reality.

Benihana
05-05-2010, 02:54 PM
Well he is not dead in the alternate flash sideways reality.

Neither are Jin and Sun

redsmetz
05-05-2010, 07:30 PM
I saw a preview for next week with former West Wing vet Allison Janney playing a character, opposite a young woman just stranded on the island. Clothing was 18th century or so. Speculation that the two woman are MIB and Jacob's mothers (although not sure which is which). Also the preview right after last night episode showed the kid that keeps appearing to Richard and Fake Locke running very fast through the jungle.

Still trying to process last night's episode. I never know what to believe anymore. For example, I'm not convinced that Jin is dead; but I could be wrong about that.

Sayid certainly redeemed himself. My wife suggested that after the encounter with Desmond, the old Sayid was back to being himself.

Trace's Daddy
05-05-2010, 08:23 PM
Wow, that's a Lost marathon. We had never watched it until SciFi Channel started showing it, beginning the the pilot, in September 2008. They showed four episodes every Monday night. We watched the first 3 1/2 seasons in four months and then bought the DVD of season four in order to get it finished before season 5 started last year.

It was nice to not have to wait so long to find out things.

You probably have a better understanding of what is going on and are able to piece things together than those of us who have watched since 2004. I can speak for myself that going almost a year between new episodes makes it difficult to make sense of what is going on.

Blimpie
05-06-2010, 12:01 AM
In a well a half mile south of the camp where they just were or something to that effect.Pretty much what I heard, except I think Sayid also said to Jack, "It has to be you..." or something like that.

HeatherC1212
05-06-2010, 12:57 AM
Pretty much what I heard, except I think Sayid also said to Jack, "It has to be you..." or something like that.

I think Sayid actually said, "It's going to be you" to Jack before he ran off with the bomb.

That episode gutted me. It was hard enough watching Jin & Sun drowning in the sub but I about lost it when Hurley and the others started crying on the beach. I think I better stock up on Kleenex for these last few episodes. :(

savafan
05-06-2010, 02:03 AM
I think Sayid actually said, "It's going to be you" to Jack before he ran off with the bomb.

I just watched it, and this is precisely what he said.

ian_madden
05-06-2010, 09:54 AM
What do you think about the scene in the sub when Jin and Sun are holding hands, after it is believed they drown, and their hands slip apart? What does that mean, they weren't supposed to be together forever? That Sun should not have come back? That Jin is still alive? He has survived near drowning before. They lost the baby in the side flash, now in this universe, the baby doesn't have any parents.

pahster
05-06-2010, 10:41 AM
What do you think about the scene in the sub when Jin and Sun are holding hands, after it is believed they drown, and their hands slip apart? What does that mean, they weren't supposed to be together forever? That Sun should not have come back? That Jin is still alive? He has survived near drowning before. They lost the baby in the side flash, now in this universe, the baby doesn't have any parents.

It means they're dead.

HeatherC1212
05-06-2010, 11:02 AM

They didn't lose their baby in Sideways World unless I missed something somewhere. IIRC, the last time we saw them over there, Sun was in the hospital but the baby was fine.

klw
05-06-2010, 12:46 PM
ABC has announced the finale is getting an extra half hour. Preshow recap from 7 until 9, finale from 9 to 11:30 now.

yab1112
05-06-2010, 12:55 PM
ABC has announced the finale is getting an extra half hour. Preshow recap from 7 until 9, finale from 9 to 11:30 now.

That is awesome news and that is a whole lot of Lost :thumbup: :beerme:

Donder
05-06-2010, 01:00 PM

This is a week from Sunday, right? That's going to be a heck of an event.

yab1112
05-06-2010, 01:02 PM
This is a week from Sunday, right? That's going to be a heck of an event.

Two weeks from Sunday, May 23rd.

Donder
05-06-2010, 07:18 PM
Two weeks from Sunday, May 23rd.

Thanks! I had thought there were only two episodes left for some reason. Glad there's still three.

savafan
05-07-2010, 08:36 AM
Frank Lapidus went down with the sub too, correct?

Blimpie
05-07-2010, 09:31 AM
Frank Lapidus went down with the sub too, correct?Technically, they only showed him getting hammered by the blast door when it was flung from its hinges.

I would not be surprised if he was simply shown washing ashore on the beach...choking, wheezing, but otherwise okay.

macro
05-07-2010, 10:21 AM
Technically, they only showed him getting hammered by the blast door when it was flung from its hinges.

I would not be surprised if he was simply shown washing ashore on the beach...choking, wheezing, but otherwise okay.

:lol:

I love Lost and always will, but the main characters on the show certainly seem to have nine lives.

Another recurring theme is guns being drawn. It has almost become comical how many time someone (or a group of someones) draws guns. And even people who would have otherwise never fired a gun in their lives seem completely comfortable with them once on the island.

And finally, I wonder what the running total is on number of characters and background stand-ins have been killed in this series' six seasons?

RiverRat13
05-07-2010, 11:18 AM
Will there be an episode on the 18th, or is the 11th the final episode before the finale?

pahster
05-07-2010, 11:20 AM
Will there be an episode on the 18th, or is the 11th the final episode before the finale?

There are episodes on the 11th and the 18th. The finale airs on the 23rd.

yab1112
05-07-2010, 01:01 PM
Another recurring theme is guns being drawn. It has almost become comical how many time someone (or a group of someones) draws guns. And even people who would have otherwise never fired a gun in their lives seem completely comfortable with them once on the island.

I know! Some characters it makes sense they know there way around a weapon (Sayid, even Kate), but there was an episode last season where Jack got into a gun fight with dharma people and he was handling himself like a soldier. Wow doc, where'd you learn to shoot like that?! :eek:

And finally, I wonder what the running total is on number of characters and background stand-ins have been killed in this series' six seasons?

I'm sure Lostpedia has an actual count. There's a funny scene toward the end of season 4 where the mercenaries from Widmore's boat start killing Losties at the Barracks. Sawyer keeps yelling "stay back don't go out there!" and these random extras keep running out like lemmings getting mowed down one by one.

savafan
05-07-2010, 01:29 PM
I'm sure Lostpedia has an actual count. There's a funny scene toward the end of season 4 where the mercenaries from Widmore's boat start killing Losties at the Barracks. Sawyer keeps yelling "stay back don't go out there!" and these random extras keep running out like lemmings getting mowed down one by one.

Yes, the tragic and untimely demise of Frogurt.

yab1112
05-07-2010, 01:37 PM
Yes, the tragic and untimely demise of Frogurt.

Or was it? http://frogurtisjacob.homestead.com/ :p:

HotCorner
05-07-2010, 04:54 PM
Or was it? http://frogurtisjacob.homestead.com/ :p:

:laugh::laugh::laugh:

savafan
05-11-2010, 01:10 PM
What on earth ever happened to Rose and Bernard on the island?

Allegro
05-11-2010, 01:30 PM
What on earth ever happened to Rose and Bernard on the island?

We saw them a few episodes back. They are happy living the beach life together with Vincent. They have been alone since everyone left (sort of anyway) 3 years ago. I guess they did not jump in time like everyone else.

savafan
05-11-2010, 01:39 PM
We saw them a few episodes back. They are happy living the beach life together with Vincent. They have been alone since everyone left (sort of anyway) 3 years ago. I guess they did not jump in time like everyone else.

Okay, I do remember that now. Thanks!

LoganBuck
05-11-2010, 03:07 PM

My guess is that they are still around and will reappear. After all the death and destruction last week, Jack and Co. is in need of allies.

Trace's Daddy
05-11-2010, 07:12 PM
Is there a place on the web that lists all of current loose ends on LOST?

Homer Bailey
05-11-2010, 07:57 PM
Is there a place on the web that lists all of current loose ends on LOST?

http://lostpedia.wikia.com/wiki/Unanswered_questions

Homer Bailey
05-12-2010, 12:24 AM
A light.

6 seasons of my life for a freakin light.

Going to be tough to wrap this up in 2 episodes.

yab1112
05-12-2010, 12:34 AM
A light.

6 seasons of my life for a freakin light.

Going to be tough to wrap this up in 2 episodes.

I felt a little let down by that. Then again, with all the hype I don't know what alternative they could have come up with that would live up to expectations.

Still a great episode and I loved the ending.

LoganBuck
05-12-2010, 01:22 AM
Color me unimpressed. Not a single "wow" moment.

5DOLLAR-BLEACHERBUM
05-12-2010, 02:37 PM
Maybe no wow moments but we sure did get alot of info. Lots of biblical reference, like the adam and eve comment in the black and white pebble flashback by Locke. Also the drink from the cup, now you are as I am scene. We learned a little about why or how the smoke monster came about. I kind of got a light= forbidden fruit theme. With the smoke monster being the serpent. We know that Jacobs brother appears in the future from scenes we have already seen, breaking the wine bottle ect. So some loose ends will be tied up next week as to what happens to him, being that his body is still there when Jack Kate and Locke find them many years later.

Benihana
05-12-2010, 03:42 PM
I was also pretty underwhelmed by last night's episode. It was almost fairy-tale like, but a bad fairy tale at that. I was reminded of The Land Before Time.

LoganBuck
05-12-2010, 04:04 PM
I was also pretty underwhelmed by last night's episode. It was almost fairy-tale like, but a bad fairy tale at that. I was reminded of The Land Before Time.

Wasn't that the one with the animated talking dinosaurs?

Benihana
05-12-2010, 04:11 PM
Wasn't that the one with the animated talking dinosaurs?

Yep

durl
05-12-2010, 05:53 PM
I wonder if there's more to the "Light" than what Mother told them. We still don't know how or why Mother got there so there's definitely more to the story. Perhaps last night was more of a setup for the finale; it definitely gave us more to think about.

The whole "light inside all of us," and "men will want more" was a little too philosophical to be the whole story about the Island. We'll see...

Trace's Daddy
05-12-2010, 06:35 PM
I kind of got a light= forbidden fruit theme. With the smoke monster being the serpent.

Hey, good call on that - it does make sense.

savafan
05-13-2010, 09:54 AM
I felt cheated and ask that this episode be replaced.

Redsfaithful
05-13-2010, 11:37 AM
I thought it was good. Starting to think I might have lower expectations than other Lost fans.

Blimpie
05-13-2010, 11:51 AM
I am with you RF, I kinda enjoyed the storyline on this week's episode.

Reds Fanatic
05-13-2010, 12:13 PM
Some details about the finale night Sunday night May 23rd. It is going to be a full night of Lost programming

7-9 PM is Lost recap special looking back at the whole series
9-11:30 PM is the final episode
12:05 AM Jimmy Kimmel is going to have the whole cast on his show and they are going to show some alternate endings that were filmed

MWM
05-13-2010, 01:37 PM
I thought it was good. Starting to think I might have lower expectations than other Lost fans.

I think it depends on why an individual is drawn to Lost. One of the geniuses of this show is that it appeals to all different kinds of people for different reasons. A lot of people have been drawn in primarily by the story and the mysteries of the island. I'm not one of those people and I can see how they might feel disappointed with how things seem to be playing out.

For me, the overarching world of the island is secondary. I'm fascinated by the characters of the show and the metaphors of life and people to which the island is just the backdrop. Because of that, I don't see how I can be disappointed if the story part of things doesn't resolve itself in a way that's overly enticing.

LoganBuck
05-13-2010, 02:42 PM
I think it depends on why an individual is drawn to Lost. One of the geniuses of this show is that it appeals to all different kinds of people for different reasons. A lot of people have been drawn in primarily by the story and the mysteries of the island. I'm not one of those people and I can see how they might feel disappointed with how things seem to be playing out.

For me, the overarching world of the island is secondary. I'm fascinated by the characters of the show and the metaphors of life and people to which the island is just the backdrop. Because of that, I don't see how I can be disappointed if the story part of things doesn't resolve itself in a way that's overly enticing.

I am one of those people that cares more about the island, the mysteries, the how, and the why. I am disappointed with how this has come down to the end. So many things have not been answered, or only half answered that it is impossible to do them justice. The more I think about the last episode, that madder I get. They didn't reveal anything about Jacob and the MIB that enhances the story. So many questions just from this last episode to answer them in the time remaining.

BuckeyeRed27
05-13-2010, 02:45 PM
I had to watch it twice, but after my second viewing I came away really liking it.

Here is my question and I hope it makes sense.

I don't really care what "the light" is per say other than what someone has to protect. Jacob's "mother" clearly would do anything to make sure that men couldn't find/use it and she isn't the first person that has had this job. This was the job that Jacob was supposed to fill and is filling. However now for apparently the first time a man went into the light and the smoke monster was created. They have made a big deal (the cork, the bottle) about the smoke monster not being allowed to leave the island.

So is Jacob's role now both to prevent men from finding/using the light, find a replacement and keep MIB on the island? Or is that just part of his game?

I hope that made sense.

marcshoe
05-13-2010, 04:07 PM
Anyone else think of this?

The Orbs - A man-made electromagnetic wave particle net that captures energy at certain nodal intersections of the space-time grid. The Orbs were created in 5502 and sent back in time to aid the advancement of mankind. They are the key to the future and to possess them is to rule the world. John Bly lives only to posses them. Professor Ogden Coles calls them faith. One was called an Unearthed Foreign Object (UFO) when it is unearthed by chinese rail workers. These mysterious objects display the power to give men great strength and heal the wounded but can be lethal if used improperly. The first orb is lost down a river when Big Smith takes it bridge diving from a speeding train. The final two Orbs are taken back to the future by Karina.
Episodes: Pilot, Bye Bly.

Brisco County Jr. Encyclopedia (http://www.theoasis.com/brisco/)

kbrake
05-13-2010, 07:32 PM
Just to add to the Lost lineup from ABC the weekend of the finale. ABC will be showing the pilot episode of Lost on Saturday night (5/22) at 8 pm. A whole weekend of Lost, good work ABC.

Yachtzee
05-13-2010, 08:35 PM
Anyone else think of this?

Brisco County Jr. Encyclopedia (http://www.theoasis.com/brisco/)

Maybe Bruce Campbell will make an appearance in the finale.

Joseph
05-13-2010, 08:47 PM
I dig me some Bruce Campbell. Bring on the Chin!

durl
05-15-2010, 04:22 PM
OK...some thoughts.

- MIB is not "really" Jacob's brother; he's the Smoke Monster. The same way that Smokey took on Locke's appearance (as well as his memories) he took over the body of Jacob's brother. Still, I wonder if Locke had a connection to the Smoke Monster before he even got on Flight 815. Locke's mother said that he was "special;" Brother was told the same thing by Mother. Locke said his mother was "crazy;" Smokey (as MIB) said the same thing.

- The Temple where Sayid was taken after he died was built over the "Cave of Light" and the pool there was the same water as in the cave. The leader of the others in the Temple said that the water was no longer "white" before they put Sayid in there.

- I don't really believe that "Mother" was not a Smoke Monster, but merely knew how to summon it to destroy the Roman camp and somehow fill in the well. Still, she was killed by the same dagger that Dogen gave Sayid to use in an attempt to kill Locke/Smokey. Killed by the same instrument for the same reason??

- I thought it was interesting Claudia told Brother that Jacob couldn't see her because she was dead. Meaning Brother could see dead people but Jacob couldn't? However, Hurley can see dead people. Why would Hurley and Brother have the same ability?

- So, anyone else think the Island is Atlantis? :D The beginning of Season 6 showed the Island as being underwater. OK...I'm not very serious about that one.

LoganBuck
05-15-2010, 05:25 PM
OK...some thoughts.

- MIB is not "really" Jacob's brother; he's the Smoke Monster. The same way that Smokey took on Locke's appearance (as well as his memories) he took over the body of Jacob's brother. Still, I wonder if Locke had a connection to the Smoke Monster before he even got on Flight 815. Locke's mother said that he was "special;" Brother was told the same thing by Mother. Locke said his mother was "crazy;" Smokey (as MIB) said the same thing.

- The Temple where Sayid was taken after he died was built over the "Cave of Light" and the pool there was the same water as in the cave. The leader of the others in the Temple said that the water was no longer "white" before they put Sayid in there.

- I don't really believe that "Mother" was not a Smoke Monster, but merely knew how to summon it to destroy the Roman camp and somehow fill in the well. Still, she was killed by the same dagger that Dogen gave Sayid to use in an attempt to kill Locke/Smokey. Killed by the same instrument for the same reason??

- I thought it was interesting Claudia told Brother that Jacob couldn't see her because she was dead. Meaning Brother could see dead people but Jacob couldn't? However, Hurley can see dead people. Why would Hurley and Brother have the same ability?

- So, anyone else think the Island is Atlantis? :D The beginning of Season 6 showed the Island as being underwater. OK...I'm not very serious about that one.

Good stuff!!

Benihana
05-15-2010, 05:46 PM
Random thoughts:

First, I just walked past Hurley (the actor who plays him) earlier today in Manhattan. Guy is HUGE.
Second, I wonder why more isn't made of the Ben vs. Widmore battle. Did everyone just give up on that plotline? Remember when Ben summoned Smokey to kill all of Widmore's men after they shot Alex? Does this mean that Ben is allied with Smokey and Widmore is allied with Jacob? It sure doesn't appear that way, as Ben was taking orders from Jacob and clearly feared fLocke. Who was Ben referring to when he always used to say "We are the good guys"? This to me is very confusing.

LoganBuck
05-16-2010, 12:33 AM
Random thoughts:

First, I just walked past Hurley (the actor who plays him) earlier today in Manhattan. Guy is HUGE.
Second, I wonder why more isn't made of the Ben vs. Widmore battle. Did everyone just give up on that plotline? Remember when Ben summoned Smokey to kill all of Widmore's men after they shot Alex? Does this mean that Ben is allied with Smokey and Widmore is allied with Jacob? It sure doesn't appear that way, as Ben was taking orders from Jacob and clearly feared fLocke. Who was Ben referring to when he always used to say "We are the good guys"? This to me is very confusing.

I will give you the annoying answer, that people who like the direction of this season have memorized, "They can't answer everything."

marcshoe
05-16-2010, 01:36 AM
I would bet that Ben will play a major part in the finale. He's been humbled this season, "broken" like most of the other characters, but he's been too much of a cog to be left floundering weakly.

Redsfaithful
05-16-2010, 11:29 AM
Still, I wonder if Locke had a connection to the Smoke Monster before he even got on Flight 815. Locke's mother said that he was "special;" Brother was told the same thing by Mother. Locke said his mother was "crazy;" Smokey (as MIB) said the same thing.

Interesting to remember here Locke drawing the smoke monster as a kid in the scene where Richard Alpert visits him.

redsmetz
05-16-2010, 07:28 PM
Article in today's Times about the show. My wife's reading it now, I'll read it later.

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/05/16/arts/television/16weblost.html?ref=television

LoganBuck
05-16-2010, 10:38 PM
Article in today's Times about the show. My wife's reading it now, I'll read it later.

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/05/16/arts/television/16weblost.html?ref=television

After reading that, I am going to be really ticked off, come next Sunday.

marcshoe
05-16-2010, 11:36 PM
I don't mind not having all questions answered, as long as the whole show didn't happen in an autistic boy's snow globe. Interesting to read that the writers' identified with Desmond. I had him as the dark horse to take over Jacob's job, but after reading this, I don't think so. Jack's the obvious answer, with everything falling into place in his story arc.

ochre
05-16-2010, 11:47 PM
I figure the show will end with Jack (or Sawyer?) waking up next to Suzanne Pleshette.

LoganBuck
05-17-2010, 12:45 AM
I figure the show will end with Jack (or Sawyer?) waking up next to Suzanne Pleshette.

All of them will be sitting down to a dinner at CluckU Chicken, some mysterious guy will be at the counter, Claire will come bouncing in the door, Jack will look up, and then fade to black.

LoganBuck
05-17-2010, 12:49 AM
I don't mind not having all questions answered, as long as the whole show didn't happen in an autistic boy's snow globe. Interesting to read that the writers' identified with Desmond. I had him as the dark horse to take over Jacob's job, but after reading this, I don't think so. Jack's the obvious answer, with everything falling into place in his story arc.

From reading that, I come away reading that the entire story will have some weird cliffhanger. I am not cool with that.

reds1869
05-17-2010, 08:01 AM
From reading that, I come away reading that the entire story will have some weird cliffhanger. I am not cool with that.

Why not? I find it hard to believe that a cliffhanger would kill the enjoyment of a show largely on mysteries. Of course, I'm always the oddball who loves the movie without a neat, happy ending, so maybe I'm just weird.

RiverRat13
05-17-2010, 10:41 AM

I didn't get that impression. Cuse was on Bill Simmons' podcast last week. He said there would be a conclusion. Simmons asked him if there would be a Lost movie, and Cuse made it sound like they did not write the finale to lead into a movie.

I think there will be resolution Sunday.

macro
05-17-2010, 10:41 AM
I'd love to own some of this stuff...

http://www.profilesinhistory.com/lost-auction-preview/lost-auction-preview

HotCorner
05-17-2010, 03:47 PM
I'd love to own some of this stuff...

http://www.profilesinhistory.com/lost-auction-preview/lost-auction-preview

Me too!

durl
05-17-2010, 04:11 PM
More random thoughts/questions (if y'all don't mind):

- Ben gave Locke the opportunity to kill Anthony Cooper but Locke couldn't bring himself to do it. Ben said that he knew Locke couldn't do it and was using that to shame him before the Others. So Locke convinced Sawyer to do it for him after getting a file from Richard showing that Cooper was the man James was looking for. So is it possible that Locke couldn't kill Cooper because of the Rules? Perhaps Ben knew that a Rule was in play?

- At one point, Richard complained that Dharma couldn't get along with the original inhabitants of the Island. I can't recall his statement exactly, but I believe he said something similar to Mother and MIB (people come, destroy, etc..) So who were the original inhabitants? Mother seemed to claim that no one else lived there although many visited and were presumably destroyed by Smokey. And if Richard held the same view of outsiders as did Mother and MIB/Smokey, how does that fit with his allegiance to Jacob who held a slightly different view?

- And I'm still wondering why Richard was sometimes seen all dirty wearing ragged clothes and well-groomed with clean clothes.

MrCinatit
05-17-2010, 05:09 PM
In all honesty, after following Lost for 6 years, I would be disappointed if the season did not end on a cliffhanger. I don't want all of the answers submitted to me in a pretty package on a silver platter - I want unanswered questions to bounce around in my brain for ages after the series ends.
In a worst case scenario, I picture all of the main characters gathered in one room the last five minutes of the series, all of the pieces suddenly falling into piece like a 1930s mystery movie.

reds1869
05-17-2010, 06:58 PM
In all honesty, after following Lost for 6 years, I would be disappointed if the season did not end on a cliffhanger. I don't want all of the answers submitted to me in a pretty package on a silver platter - I want unanswered questions to bounce around in my brain for ages after the series ends.
In a worst case scenario, I picture all of the main characters gathered in one room the last five minutes of the series, all of the pieces suddenly falling into piece like a 1930s mystery movie.
:beerme:

Exactly how I feel.

gonelong
05-17-2010, 08:27 PM

Dadgum, right on. I can get my entertainment pre-packaged and tied up in a nice neat bow every 30 minutes with the other 99.9% of what is on.

GL

Joseph
05-17-2010, 10:28 PM
Well from everything I've been hearing, you guys are gonna get your wish.

LoganBuck
05-17-2010, 11:54 PM
I want to sit around in a dazed and confused state, after the series ends. No wait a second I don't want to sit around like that. I don't mind some ambiguity, but I do want some payoff, after all the time spent sitting around with this show.

Yachtzee
05-18-2010, 01:09 AM
I go with Viking Funeral.

klw
05-18-2010, 07:52 AM
I want Bob Newhart waking up saying "Now that was the wierdest dream!"

TeamCasey
05-18-2010, 08:24 AM
I don't mind being left with some ponderables but I'd be disappointed if they didn't pull this together in some fashion.

Joseph
05-18-2010, 10:51 PM
Oh my. I figured it would be Hurley.

durl
05-19-2010, 12:27 AM
Funny that Smokey/Locke promised Ben that he could have the Island if he killed some people for him, then later told Ben that he was going to destroy the Island. So what's Ben's motivation for helping Smokey now??

Blimpie
05-19-2010, 08:45 AM
At this point, I would think that Ben's motivation would be to stay alive. Was it just me, or was the episode chock full of character deaths (Richard, Whidmore, Zoe)?

It almost seems like the writers realized, "Oh crap, we have only got two shows left..."

LoganBuck
05-19-2010, 08:47 AM
Notice that Miles still hasn't spoken to FLocke?

yab1112
05-19-2010, 09:20 AM

Did he run off by himself? I thought he was going with Whidmore and then he wasn't in the secret room. :confused: In any event, it's looking more and more like that's going to be a factor.

I was thinking about how Mile's ability could potentially be used against Locke. Maybe it has something to do with why Locke can't get past ash, it being remains of people killed on the island. It's one of the only things that can stop him so maybe Miles channels all the souls floating around to trap him. That could potentially set up a return of everyone who we've seen die on the island...how cool would that be for a final scene?

The unceremonious death of Whidmore and that other lady I get, but I was hoping we'd get something a little more for the death of Richard.

Now that Jack got the job, can he not be killed by Locke or was that protection something exclusive to Jacob?

I am so pumped for Sunday. I'm going to try and watch all 5 hours, from the 2 hour recap show all the way through Jimmy Kimmel.

kbrake
05-19-2010, 10:04 AM
At this point, I would think that Ben's motivation would be to stay alive. Was it just me, or was the episode chock full of character deaths (Richard, Whidmore, Zoe)?

It almost seems like the writers realized, "Oh crap, we have only got two shows left..."

The Sopranos went the same way. The episode before the finale main characters started dropping off.

Trace's Daddy
05-19-2010, 10:20 AM

There has to be something here. Miles should play a big role in the finale. Instead of hiding in Ben's closet it seems that he ran off into the jungle with the walkie talkie.
What if instead of being a hero against the smoke monster, Miles is somehow teamed up with the smoke monster?
Can't wait for Sunday!

HotCorner
05-19-2010, 10:35 AM
I believe "Smokey" existed prior to MIB in the form of their "mother" because his mother completely destroyed MIB's donkey wheel well, torched the village and slaughtered all of the people. The same kind of destruction we saw at the Temple by MIB/Smokey.

Also when MIB stabbed his mother he did it from behind without saying a word until after she was fatally wounded. I believe at that point the "black monster" was dead. Yet as fate would have it, Jacob sees his dead mother and his brother than beats the crap out of him. He inadvertently creates a "new black monster" after sending his brother's body into the heartlight. Their mother had told them to "never go in there". One of the boys asked if they would die if they did and she said something like "it's worse". So how would she know unless she went in their and subsequently became the monster?

ochre
05-19-2010, 11:11 AM
well. That whole scene/set of scenes bifurcated the island's protector. Up until that point, apparently, the smoke was part of the protector type element. Their false mother, aside from his desire to flee the island, was really much more like the nameless brother. And, in the end, he seems to have taken on the darker aspects of her.

Just a guess, but maybe the smoke should have belonged to Jacob as part of his role inheritance, but his actions upon his "mother's" death separated that aspect from the protector role.

Trace's Daddy
05-19-2010, 11:16 AM
Can't stop thinking about LOST. What if Desmond's resistance to the magnetism allows him to put the smoke monster back into the light - kind of like putting a genie back in the bottle. Maybe the ash from Jacob's fire could be used as well to corral the smoke monster at the light?

RiverRat13
05-19-2010, 11:19 AM
Are we 100% sure Richard is dead?

redsmetz
05-19-2010, 12:21 PM
Are we 100% sure Richard is dead?

We're never 100% sure of anything. Until last night I held out the possibility that Jin may still be alive, although how I don't know, but I think they're both gone. I think it's possible that Frank is still alive, although, again, I don't know how. But anything can happen really.

savafan
05-19-2010, 12:47 PM
Richard will ride in on the back of the polar bear and save the day. Just watch!

All kidding aside, wasn't Richard made immortal, or is he just ageless?

redsmetz
05-19-2010, 01:31 PM
Richard will ride in on the back of the polar bear and save the day. Just watch!

All kidding aside, wasn't Richard made immortal, or is he just ageless?

Well he certainly believed he couldn't be killed handling the dynamite at the Black Rock. Now maybe Smoky can kill him. "The rules" feel like a bit of a moving target at the moment as we move towards the denouement (assuming we'll have one, that is).

durl
05-19-2010, 01:53 PM
Yeah...Ben is a wimpy (yet devious) version of Sawyer: it's all about survival.

To be honest, I enjoyed the flash-sideways more than the Island scenes last night. The characters seeing glimpses of the other time-line, Desmond orchestrating everything flawlessly, even Hurley knowing Ana Lucia's name and dropping it by mistake...all if it was just fun to watch.

marcshoe
05-19-2010, 02:46 PM
One name keeps popping into my head: Eloise.

macro
05-19-2010, 03:20 PM
I think the boy bears a striking resemblance to Jacob, so that's going to be my guess.

Yay for me! :clap:

Yachtzee
05-19-2010, 04:16 PM

Actually, I think Ben was fully on the Jacob side up until the point where Whidmore showed up. Once he saw that Whidmore wanted to keep Smokey from getting off the island, he turned because he had never forgiven Whidmore for sending those mercenaries that killed Alex.

I don't think Richard necessarily died. It just showed that Richard was no longer useful to Smokey.

ochre
05-19-2010, 06:37 PM
YouTube - Totally Lost (5/18/10) - Part 5 (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IJVSRqltKsU&feature=player_embedded)

MWM
05-19-2010, 10:27 PM
:jump:

OH. MY. GAWD. That's got to be the funniest thing I've ever seen. I haven't laughed so hard in ages.

reds1869
05-20-2010, 07:50 AM
Great find, ochre! :D

macro
05-20-2010, 10:37 AM
Did you catch this last night?

YouTube - David Letterman - 'Lost' Spoilers Top Ten (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TYOJK6C4ijY)

It's worth your three minutes to see #5. :lol:

redsmetz
05-20-2010, 12:56 PM
The Letterman bit was good. Then there's these various "Final 10 Seconds" of the show done as various other shows:

http://www.atom.com/spotlights/lost/

OK, I just watched the interchange with MIB and Jacob. Oh my that was funny.

Blimpie
05-20-2010, 04:20 PM
The Jacob vs. MIB bit was a scream...

Blimpie
05-20-2010, 04:34 PM
Did he (Miles) run off by himself? I thought he was going with Whidmore and then he wasn't in the secret room. :confused: In any event, it's looking more and more like that's going to be a factorMy guess is that Miles is the one who lowered the rope into the well in order to free Desmond.

TeamCasey
05-20-2010, 06:21 PM
Betty White can tie it all together! :thumbup:

RedsManRick
05-20-2010, 08:40 PM
http://www.mtv.com/videos/movies/518736/lost-star-michael-emerson-puts-a-creepy-spin-on-everyday-phrases.jhtml

ochre
05-20-2010, 11:09 PM
My guess is that it will be revealed that the light is midichlorians.

savafan
05-21-2010, 12:05 AM
All questions will be answered, maybe not Sunday night, but...eventually!

http://popwatch.ew.com/2010/05/20/lost-dvd-extras/#comments

Lost fans are already sweating the prospect that Sunday’s series won’t resolve their favorite pet mystery or most burning question. For those left wanting, there is hope: EW has confirmed a TV Guide report that the producers plan to address a selection of baffling bits of unfinished business on the season 6 DVD, which goes on sale in August. An ABC insider says the set will include “new content that addresses some of the unanswered questions in an entertaining way,” though disputed reports that there could be as much as 20 minutes worth of mystery-resolution material.

savafan
05-21-2010, 12:22 AM
YouTube - "I'll Never Be Lost Again" - Epic Lost Season 6 Hip-hop/R&B anthem! (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iggE4ImYwyc&feature=player_embedded)

marcshoe
05-22-2010, 02:43 AM
Widmore went out a little too easily for my taste, btw. I would have liked to have known more about what changed his mind.

The timelines converging has to be handled carefully. If the end result is everyone being alive again, the ending may feel cheap.

I thought that Jacob's passing the torch to Jack was reminiscent of Jesus' restoring Peter at the end of the gospel of John, as well as, given Cuse's Catholicism (without making this a religious discussion), the idea of Jesus' passing the leadership torch to Peter.

Although the light at the center may begin to reveal the secret of the island, do we really know what the island is, yet? I keep thinking of the island's moving when the wheel was turned.

I want a deep look at Sawyer's soul before this thing is over. Even with Jack's about-face, Mr. Ford may still be the most complex character. This being tortured by Sayid in what seemed to be an act of penance on his part in season one, his gradual maturation, and the honesty of the hard emotions still inside him, in spite of his softening, all combine to create one of the best characters on television.

In the end, I hope the inevitable violence of the finale is only a small part of the show's resolution. With the stated theme of the show being redemption, is it possible that the MIB will find ultimate redemption himself, ala Anakin Skywalker in Return of the Jedi?

I want Farraday and Juliet to play a part in the finale.

Just a small part of what's running through my head,

redsmetz
05-22-2010, 10:06 AM
My daughter sent me this, Tony LaRussa explains Lost:

http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/page2/story?page=caple/100521_lost&sportCat=mlb

The numbers source explanation was surprising. I hadn't seen that before.

yab1112
05-22-2010, 11:39 AM
I want Farraday and Juliet to play a part in the finale.

Remember when Sawyer was holding Juliet as she was dying in the first episode of this season? She said, "We should get coffee some time." Then Miles spoke to her corpse/spirit and she said "It worked."

I think we'll definitely see Juliet in the finale and I think we'll here her say "We should get coffee some time." As for Faraday, I'm assuming his concert event thing is going to be the place where Desmond gathers them all.

Blimpie
05-22-2010, 12:11 PM
I am guessing that Juliet could end up being Jack's mysterious wife in the flash sideways world.

Joseph
05-22-2010, 12:50 PM
I am guessing that Juliet could end up being Jack's mysterious wife in the flash sideways world.

I've wondered that same thing.

reds1869
05-22-2010, 11:38 PM
Add me to the list wondering about Juliet and Jack. Only 24 hours until it all ends!

marcshoe
05-22-2010, 11:53 PM
Remember when Sawyer was holding Juliet as she was dying in the first episode of this season? She said, "We should get coffee some time." Then Miles spoke to her corpse/spirit and she said "It worked."

I think we'll definitely see Juliet in the finale and I think we'll here her say "We should get coffee some time." As for Faraday, I'm assuming his concert event thing is going to be the place where Desmond gathers them all.

My mind's going in circles. For some reason, I was thinking the concert was Jack's son's, but you're right, it's likely Farradays. Perhaps the connection between music, time, and the universe will be explored.

MrCinatit
05-22-2010, 11:57 PM
Are Charlie and Faraday in the same band? I'd assumed the concert was Charlie's.

Yachtzee
05-23-2010, 12:10 AM
Are Charlie and Faraday in the same band? I'd assumed the concert was Charlie's.

I believe the idea was that Faraday, now an accomplished pianist, has some crazy desire to put on a show with his favorite rock band, Drive Shaft, much to his parents' chagrin.

HeatherC1212
05-23-2010, 01:47 AM
Didn't the Faraday concert thing all ready happen? I could have sworn that the day Sideways Desmond met Sideways Faraday was the actual day of that concert. I think the concert they're all talking about now is some fundraiser to raise money for the museum where Miles' dad works. Maybe Jack's son David is playing somehow for it? That makes the most sense to me.

I hope Juliet plays a big part in the finale somehow. I've missed her all season and I'm looking forward to seeing what's up with her in Sideways world. I'd lay down money that she's David's mother though. They cast that kid to look way too much like a Jack-Juliet child for her not to be his mother, LOL :laugh:

LoganBuck
05-23-2010, 07:32 AM
Didn't the Faraday concert thing all ready happen? I could have sworn that the day Sideways Desmond met Sideways Faraday was the actual day of that concert. I think the concert they're all talking about now is some fundraiser to raise money for the museum where Miles' dad works. Maybe Jack's son David is playing somehow for it? That makes the most sense to me.

I hope Juliet plays a big part in the finale somehow. I've missed her all season and I'm looking forward to seeing what's up with her in Sideways world. I'd lay down money that she's David's mother though. They cast that kid to look way too much like a Jack-Juliet child for her not to be his mother, LOL :laugh:

Heather, I think you are correct about the Farraday concert.

Donder
05-23-2010, 09:23 AM
They were setting up for the concert when Desmond met Faraday, but I'd be willing to bet that this concert will feature Faraday, Charlie, and Jack's son. Obviously (well, as obvious as anything can be on this show) they're bringing everyone together in one place.

Blimpie
05-23-2010, 12:01 PM
Don't forget Dojo's (?) son as well. He and Jack bumped into each other when they were watching their sons rehearse in the auditorium.

Donder
05-23-2010, 01:34 PM
Don't forget Dojo's (?) son as well. He and Jack bumped into each other when they were watching their sons rehearse in the auditorium.

Nice memory. Yeah, I bet we see Dogan again.

Maybe Claire will get up and sing "Catch a Falling Star." :)

savafan
05-23-2010, 02:16 PM
I'm betting on John Locke not actually being dead. Nothing to base that on, just a gut feeling.

marcshoe
05-23-2010, 05:14 PM
I've thought that too, even as it looks less and less likely. Everything happens for a reason--including Locke being the one who was selected as mib's host.

Beyond that, I feel as if i should post something deep today, but I got nothing. Counting down the hours. I usually try to be in bed by nine on Sunday nights, so i took a good nap this afternoon, and I'll be DVRing the whole thing and watching through the episode itself.

marcshoe
05-23-2010, 05:32 PM
Oh, one more thing. The reason i accepted the idea that this was Farraday's concert so quickly was because this would bring Eloise into the picture. If the timelines are going to be resolved, I think she'll be a catalyst.

Then again, Desmond repeated her "not ready yet" words about another character (I don't remember who) last episode, so he could be where she was.

MWM
05-23-2010, 06:33 PM
It could be that now that Jacob's replacement is official, that replacement could do what Jacob has done in the past and give life to someone who's dead such as John Locke. Jack giving new life to the real John Locke would fit perfectly in with the entire 6 seasons of this show. Those two need each other and have all along. It's been obvious it's been about Jack vs. Locke all along. I don't see how it doesn't come down to those two.

MWM
05-23-2010, 07:01 PM
I've been as big a fan of this show as there is for a while now. I've defended most of their choices for quite some time now, but I don't see anyway that I don't walk away with some level of disappointment at the end of this season. I am definitely not someone who wanted all the answers handed over to us point by point on a silver platter. But I think they've been too hasty to wrap things up and have glossed over some important things that merited a lot more depth, IMO. Although, I can understand where they're coming from to a point, as had they done this the masses would likely have complained that they're not getting answers fast enough.

I've said all along the great characters of this show, and those characters' evolution over the course of the series, is what drew me to this show more than anything else. So it's no surprise that my disappointment in Season 6 relates to this area. But I can't help but be disappointed that so many of the characters that have made this show so fascinating have been little more than in the background this season. Seriously, Kate has been almost invisible this season and when she is there she's just kinds of sitting on the sidelines. Ben Linus has also been almost non-existent for much of the season. Same for Sawyer. They all had their episode where they were focused on and were important in a few other points in the season, but for the most part they had little to do with the overall season. Even Jack pretty much disappeared for several episodes in the middle of the season. It's all been about the fake Locke dude. Hell, the Dharma initiative has been completely forgotten about.

And I just don't see how it will be possible to answer adequately a lot of they "whys" of the series. I'mless concerned about the "whats" and much more the "whys". The list is exhaustive, but a few examples would be:

- why did Miles and Charlotte have to come back to the island and why was is so important that Miles choose the right side to return to.

- What was the purpose of Widmore's freighter

- What the hell was the Dharma initiative and what did they know about the Island, what were they trying to accomplish, and what happened to them. This one is weird because the guy who started the whole thing had the same last name as the captain of the Black Rock. So there's some connection there. And they had to know something about the place.

- Why could babies no longer be born on the Island (this was important to the story for w while).

- Why was Michael kept alive and how was it that he could not be killed? The guy who came to track him down could not be killed either, but somehow he was when Hurley ran over him with the van.

- There are tons of rules I assume will be addressed as far as who they can and can't inhabit, how Jacob could leave the island, etc... but there are so many that it will be tough to take care of the plot while also getting these cleared up.

I could go on and on as I had a bunhc more in my head but you get the point. I don't need everything handed over to me in a nice clean box, but I'd hate to have things that just made no sense.

Again, I think they should have made season 6 an entire TV season starting in the fall. It seems like a mistake to get hasty on such a breakthrough television innovation, but that seems to me what they've done with this season. They sacrificed too much to get it wrapped up in time.

Having said all that, I still thing it's perhaps the greatest piece of television I've seen in my lifetime. Everything about it has been fascinating from the way they told the story, to the characters, to the mysteries. Even with some disappointment, I have to tell myself that this was what it was before it started. So if we start messing with the way it plays out, we probably mess with the entire package. Lost is a package deal that we have to either like or not like. More than anything I've ever seen on TV, it's something you have to look at in the whole and not piece by piece. No matter how tonight winds up, Lost was a work of genius, IMO, and will be tough to ever be out-done.

GIDP
05-23-2010, 07:02 PM
I cant wait to watch this 1 episode and spoil what ever I can.

marcshoe
05-23-2010, 09:23 PM
The Dharma Initiative and the baby problem have both been on my mind, in part because they seem to be likely to be dropped.

Joseph
05-23-2010, 09:59 PM
Did the pre-game shows reveal anything special?

HeatherC1212
05-23-2010, 10:28 PM
JULIET!!! :D :D :D

marcshoe
05-23-2010, 10:37 PM
Nice exchange about Jack being the obvious choice. By the time it was made, though, Jack becoming the protector was the only choice that would be true to the series

GIDP
05-23-2010, 10:39 PM
Man so Jack kills Sawyer to save the pilot then Kate kills John Locke to kill the man in black that ultimately is Desmond aka Batman.

Joseph
05-23-2010, 10:45 PM
Man so Jack kills Sawyer to save the pilot then Kate kills John Locke to kill the man in black that ultimately is Desmond aka Batman.

Stop spouting nonsense.

HeatherC1212
05-23-2010, 11:01 PM
I don't know if I'm supposed to be feeling this way but I'm getting very attached to Sideways World from this episode. I enjoyed it before but dang, all the relationships and memories from the Losties are making me a pile of mush. :)

HeatherC1212
05-24-2010, 12:31 AM
I think a TON of people may hate it but I LOVED the ENTIRE finale. I have also cried my eyes out for the last twenty minutes. Wow. What a way to end the show. I'm speechless.

GIDP
05-24-2010, 12:33 AM
Stop spouting nonsense.

rofl

marcshoe
05-24-2010, 12:36 AM
I think a TON of people may hate it but I LOVED the ENTIRE finale. I have also cried my eyes out for the last twenty minutes. Wow. What a way to end the show. I'm speechless.

The characters lives were resolved, which imho was more important than all the mysteries being resolved. I thought the ending was satisfying.

I still don't know what the island was, though. :dunno:

Oxilon
05-24-2010, 12:37 AM
So...they were in purgatory the entire time? So...what was the point of everything on the island? I think I have more questions than ever before.

marcshoe
05-24-2010, 12:39 AM
So...they were in purgatory the entire time? So...what was the point of everything on the island? I think I have more questions than ever before.

I don't think so. The kicker seemed to be that the island was real, but the flash-sideways world was a sort of purgatory, the opposite of what many assumed.

Oxilon
05-24-2010, 12:42 AM
Wait, so did everyone die after the initial plane crash in the pilot? With the very end and the scene of the accident when they were showing the credits, that's the initial assumption I got.

RiverRat13
05-24-2010, 12:43 AM
I don't think so. The kicker seemed to be that the island was real, but the flash-sideways world was a sort of purgatory, the opposite of what many assumed.

This is how I took it. Sawyer and the gang really got off the island. The sideways reality was after all of them die, as Christian said: some before Jack, some after.

Gainesville Red
05-24-2010, 12:43 AM
On the whole, I was okay with it. My only real gripe was a simple mistake. Ben Linus was moving around pretty well for a guy that had a tree fall on top of him. That sort of thing sort of bothers me. One minute they're in some sort of typhoon, Linus has a tree on top of him that no one can budge. The next scene, he's alright.

But other than that, yeah, I was alright with it.

reds1869
05-24-2010, 12:44 AM
I am very content, especially because so much mystery will remain unanswered while the characters lives were resolved. The finale captured the essence of what made the series so brilliant. The ending was simply beautiful.

HeatherC1212
Someone on another board described it like the movie Titanic where at the end, when the older Rose passes away, the younger Rose is reunited with all the people who died on the ship. They didn't all die at the same time but the ship was a sort of gathering place where her happiest times were so that's where they all met again. The people from the island didn't all die at the same time, but somehow this Sideways world got created for them so they could all find each other again after they did die in their 'real' lives (for lack of a better word). That's how I understand it anyway and I haven't been able to stop crying since the show ended because the performances were just wonderful tonight. The actors made that episode awesome. *sniff sniff* :(

GIDP
lol @ this show

pahster
05-24-2010, 12:45 AM
lol @ this show

No one is making you read this thread.

GIDP
05-24-2010, 12:47 AM
No one is making you read this thread.

Dont get upset im just laughing at how unimportant the whole show was based off the ending. Seems like from my POV nothing in the seasons really mattered at all.

reds1869
05-24-2010, 12:48 AM
Dont get upset im just laughing at how unimportant the whole show was based off the ending. Seems like from my POV nothing in the seasons really mattered at all.

And that, my friend, IS the point. If you don't see the beauty in that then don't bother with this thread.

Oxilon
05-24-2010, 12:50 AM
So how's this purgatory/parallel universe thing work? Kate, Sawyer, and company (people still alive) can just visit this purgatory and see their dead loved ones?

pahster
05-24-2010, 12:50 AM
So how's this purgatory/parallel universe thing work? Kate, Sawyer, and company (people still alive) can just visit this purgatory and see their dead loved ones?

No, they went there after they died.

Oxilon
05-24-2010, 12:52 AM
When they died? When did Kate and Sawyer die?

WVPacman
05-24-2010, 12:53 AM
I did'nt like the ending at all b/c im stuck with more questions than answers.Did they die when the plane crashed or did they die when the island sank? Its puts a damper on the show atleast for me watching the show all six years then they all die at the end.

One question about Ben! The reason he did'nt go in the church is b/c he is still alive OR do you think he went to hell?

pahster

Sometime after they got off the island. Christian told Jack near the end that some of the people there died before him and some after him.

GIDP
And that, my friend, IS the point. If you don't see the beauty in that then don't bother with this thread.

Not considering how everyone said "What does this mean, what does that mean, oh man all these things no one really knows"

Character lines got finished but nothing got explained. I watched the last episode and feel like I know how the whole show ended up.

I dont want to come off like I'm a jerk, but then again apparently posting in a Lost thread with out being a Lost junkie makes me one. Sorry I will step out now that I realize how crazy some of you are about a show.

GIDP
05-24-2010, 12:54 AM
I did'nt like the ending at all b/c im stuck with more questions than answers.Did they die when the plane crashed or did they die when the island sank? Its puts a damper on the show atleast for me watching the show all six years then they all die at the end.

One question about Ben! The reason he did'nt go in the church is b/c he is still alive OR do you think he went to hell?

I figured Ben was evil and wasnt allowed into Heaven yet.

kbrake
05-24-2010, 12:55 AM

The way I understood it was at some point later in life they died. That could have been 5 minutes after they got off the island or they lived to 100. Either way once they died everyone could reunite.

GIDP
05-24-2010, 12:56 AM
Also I didnt see the pilot, or the asian guy in the church. Basically I guess they never died.

Oxilon
Ben's evil? I know Sawyer, Kate, and Sayid killed people (off the top of my head). Ben's evil but those three aren't?

Donder
Yeah, we don't know what happens the rest of Sawyer, Kate, Ben, Hurley's lives. We just know after death they're all reunited somehow. The plane goes back to the "real world," Hurley and Ben stay back to protect the island/keep evil from taking over the world, eventually they all die in their own time and are reunited. I'm very pleased and satisfied with the ending.

Hurley and Ben spin off? ;)

Gainesville Red
05-24-2010, 12:57 AM
I didn't see it as Ben being evil and not allowed in. I saw it as he didn't feel worthy, and chose not to go in.

GIDP
05-24-2010, 12:57 AM
Hey im just giving a 2nd opinion.

Gainesville Red
05-24-2010, 12:58 AM
Hey im just giving a 2nd opinion.

And you're entitled to it. The finale is not going to be unanimously liked.

GIDP
05-24-2010, 12:58 AM
Hurley and Ben were also probably the new Man in Black and Jacob.

RiverRat13
05-24-2010, 12:59 AM

More like the new Jacob and Richard.

GIDP
05-24-2010, 12:59 AM
Also they showed the plane at the end of the episode. Looked pretty tore up imo. I think its hard to say that some how they lived.

Donder
05-24-2010, 01:01 AM
I figured Ben was evil and wasnt allowed into Heaven yet.

My take wasn't that he wasn't allowed, he just wasn't letting himself yet. He hadn't forgiven himself, he had to have time to reconcile with himself what he had done. The others all seemed to want him to come in. Locke forgave him.

pahster
05-24-2010, 01:02 AM
Also I didnt see the pilot, or the asian guy in the church. Basically I guess they never died.

They weren't on Oceanic Flight 815, so it makes sense that they wouldn't be there.

They're the new Jacob and Richard Alpert.

Oxilon
05-24-2010, 01:03 AM
Even with the explanation of life after death, purgatory, etc.. there are still many questions I have about the island itself and events that took place throughout the seasons that weren't answered.

RiverRat13
05-24-2010, 01:04 AM
Yeah, we don't know what happens the rest of Sawyer, Kate, Ben, Hurley's lives. We just know after death they're all reunited somehow. The plane goes back to the "real world," Hurley and Ben stay back to protect the island/keep evil from taking over the world, eventually they all die in their own time and are reunited. I'm very pleased and satisfied with the ending.

^^^
This.

The more I think about it, the more I love the ending. Jack has always been the one to try to save everyone, which he gets to do. Locke gets vindicated because as Jack tells the MIB, Locke right all along. And the alternate ending tells us through Ben that Locke was indeed special, and not the rube he was referred to being for most of Season 5 and 6.

The producers have always said they knew what the final scene would look like. Now we know they wanted it to come full circle. Pretty cool, IMO and fits Lost perfectly.

GIDP
05-24-2010, 01:04 AM
Yea sorry like I said I didnt watch the show like a lot of you. Just giving this outsiders perspective. Maybe I should bail.

I agree that Ben just wasnt ready to go to Heaven yet. I ask why Ben didnt go in, but was left at the island with Hurley. They really didnt do much of anything at the end. I guess basically the seasons didnt matter just the alt reality.

MWM
05-24-2010, 01:13 AM
About halfway through the finale I realized that this show was always intended to be about the redemptive quality of people so I was fine with the way it was all turning out.

But I don't know for sure that the sideways universe was fake, while the Island one was real. My initial take was that the island itself was the place they all created so they could find each other and none of THAT was real.

If the island was in fact real, then we still have no clue what it was. Jacob was real, the smoke monster was real, the time ravel was real, etc... It just seems more plausible that THIS was the creation of the characters.

I really have no idea.

Spazzrico
05-24-2010, 01:16 AM
I think the seasons matter, because they did fulfill a purpose by not letting MIB/Flocke off the island. They saved the world in other words. That's important.

HeatherC1212
05-24-2010, 01:16 AM
I copied this theory from another board but it could explain things pretty well and I like the way this person described everything....

So the Island is the the Gate to Hell? That's my theory, and some mythical person must protect the gate.

Then the sideways world was the step before Heaven. Desmond was bringing everyone together to move on so they could be with the ones they loved. It was always part of "the beyond", and what happened on the Island (including the flashbacks and flashforwards) really happened.

I think they all died at separate times on the Island timeline, but came together in the sideways world as a precursor to Heaven.

The original Island timeline is the real timeline. Everything that happened there really happened but the Sideways world was where everyone could meet up again before moving on towards the afterlife together. It makes sense to me but I guess if you don't really believe in an afterlife it may not work so well for you. I'm sure there are going to be people out there who hated this finale but I still think it was wonderful. :)

Kimmel is all ready cracking me up. :laugh:

RiverRat13
05-24-2010, 01:26 AM
The original Island timeline is the real timeline. Everything that happened there really happened but the Sideways world was where everyone could meet up again before moving on towards the afterlife together. It makes sense to me but I guess if you don't really believe in an afterlife it may not work so well for you. I'm sure there are going to be people out there who hated this finale but I still think it was wonderful. :)

Yep.

kaldaniels
05-24-2010, 01:28 AM
They weren't on Oceanic Flight 815, so it makes sense that they wouldn't be there.

Strike that, as Des and Penny were in the church.

pahster
05-24-2010, 01:35 AM

Good point. Maybe those actors were already gone by the time they shot that scene?

HeatherC1212
05-24-2010, 01:45 AM

Juliet was also in the church and she wasn't on the plane either. I think if the person was important to an 'original Lostie' for lack of a better word, then they somehow ended up being at the church. I couldn't argue with anyone who was there and all I can come up with for the others is that they just didn't impact the other characters lives enough for them to want to cross over with them. That's just my theory though.

Yachtzee
05-24-2010, 01:56 AM
Ugh. Our local station had technical difficulties the whole night, so there was a lot of choppiness and my DVR won't show the last 20 minutes. I'm stuck at the point where Ben is telling Hurley what he needs to do to protect the island.

LoganBuck
05-24-2010, 02:11 AM
Ugh. Our local station had technical difficulties the whole night, so there was a lot of choppiness and my DVR won't show the last 20 minutes. I'm stuck at the point where Ben is telling Hurley what he needs to do to protect the island.

It turns out that it was all Vincent's dream.

LoganBuck
05-24-2010, 02:19 AM
As to Ben, I think it comes back to the definition of purgatory. Some faiths view purgatory, as a place of service, or penance for ones deeds. We see Ben as fulfilling a role in Alex's life, that he didn't in real life in placing her interests above his own, he also is taking care of his elderly father. I think it is more likely he is "not ready", and needs/wants to do more to shift the balance of the scale.

Which goes back to Ana Lucia last week, when Hurley asked "Is she coming with us?" Desmond told Hurley "She is not ready". Imo, She was still doing penance, for her bad deeds. Which were many.

Just my take.

Oh yeah, so if Hurley was the new Jacob, supposedly immortal, I wonder how he died.

IslandRed
05-24-2010, 03:02 AM
I have to admit, they pulled one over on me. It never occurred to me that the flash-sideways world was the Purgatory, and Desmond was rounding people up for a reason that had nothing to do with returning to/saving the island.

Also a nice touch to have the ending mirror the opening scenes of the pilot episode.

Like everyone else, I can think of loose ends that weren't wrapped up, but you know, it was a TV show. Not everything was allegory.

Tony Cloninger
05-24-2010, 03:41 AM
I guess we will have to buy the DVD to get more answers. Or wait for the movie. "Lost and Found"

MrCinatit
05-24-2010, 05:33 AM
Ben never really did belong, as he admitted himself ("Because no one else will have me"). So naturally, he would see himself as an outsider to the rest, hence he stay outside the church.

The real world being a purgatory makes a lot of sense. For one thing, Locke healed up way too fast after his surgery, and there is no way he would have been able to walk that quickly. Perhaps the likes of Miles, Richard, Ana, Walter and so on also did not feel that they belong as well, hence they also were not in the church.

At first, I thought the whole thing a made up fantasy of Jack as he lay dying right after the crash (hence the footage of the crash) - but he was not wearing the same suit after the crash. And, there were no other bodies on the beach. I'm actually not sure about the beach footage and think it even could be simply a collection of shots to remind us of how they got there.

membengal
05-24-2010, 07:45 AM
Hey all. First ever non-related Reds post on this board. I wade in with trepidation.

As I see it, the sideways world was simply a place for them to wait, until whatever group was ready to move on, had all gathered to move on. I don't read any lack of atonement or need to atone as the reason why some were at the gathering and some were not. Just that group in the end was "ready", and, more importantly, had shared the most important parts of their lives together. The "church" at the end was Eloise Hawking's pendulum place, right? I think so anyway, a version of it. There were symbols from ever major religion on the walls.

As for what was "real", everything else other than the sideways world was real. As Faraday said all along, what happend, happened. So Locke did die when Ben talked him into hanging himself. Sun and Jin when the sub sank, along with Saeed. Shannon back when she was was shot on the island, along with Libby. Etc. And Jack at the end as true hero Lapides flew the plane away. Lapides, Miles, Richard, Claire, Kate, and Sawyer were the only ones to "leave" the island, as it were. And they went on to live whatever lives they had to live. Hurley and Ben stayed back and lived out their lives protecting the island. However long that took. Thousands of years for Hurley, if need be. And in the end, when they were ready, they gathered to move on, the notion of what "time" it was in a linear sense, meaningless in the sideways world.

I really liked it. A lot. I don't need answers for everything. Ultimately, such answers are likely to be unsatisfactory anyway. Plus, this way, the writers have given themselves the room for another series or movie about what the island is. I loved seeing the characters connect back with their true loves etc. Altho I didn't like Saeed with Shannon, that should have been Nadia. Perhaps that's a quibble. Maybe he really did fall that in love with her in the short time they had together on the island.

I am quite happy with where they went with it.

Then again, full disclosure, I liked the Sporanos ending too.

TeamCasey
05-24-2010, 09:03 AM
Good morning all. I still haven't seen the last hour. (Don't worry about spoilers. I'm not.)

Did they ever explain the polar bears and bear cages or the Dharma initiative for that matter? Just one of those things that's bugged me all along. We lost a lot of the "sci fi-ness of the show when Jacob and MiB came on the scene.) I'm glad I watched the 2 hour special beforehand. It explained some of the things I was confused about.

membengal
05-24-2010, 09:20 AM
Nope, no real "answers" as what the Island was, or Dharma's presence on it, or the polar bear or other scientific oddities. The focus was on the characters.

The door is wide open for them to revisit just "what" the island is in a spin-off or movie if they so choose someday.

reds1869
05-24-2010, 09:39 AM
Nope, no real "answers" as what the Island was, or Dharma's presence on it, or the polar bear or other scientific oddities. The focus was on the characters.

The door is wide open for them to revisit just "what" the island is in a spin-off or movie if they so choose someday.

Like my mom said, "they have to leave something for the movie." :D

After sleeping on it, I like the finale even more. My wife and I discussed the show for around 2 hours before falling asleep. I think the finale wasn't everyone's cup of tea, as it depends on when/why you became a Lost fan to some extent. We both thought it was brilliant and are happy so many questions were left unanswered. After six seasons of questions, I'd be upset if I wasn't left with more after it all ended.

MWM
05-24-2010, 10:13 AM
I think series finales almost have to be polarizing to be truly great.

durl
05-24-2010, 11:01 AM
I was a little disappointed. Some have said that LOST is all about the characters, and I agree to a large extent. The backgrounds of the characters, their flawed natures, and, for many, their redemption, has been a key to the series. In my opinion, however, the Island is also a character. The mysteries and events were a driving force of the series and, while many things were answered, I wanted more resolved. Not all, necessarily...just more.

The ending was a bit weak to me. Still, I believe the writers wanted to get everyone back together in the end. Of the original Losties, only Kate, Claire (and Aaron), and Sawyer get off the Island...a bit of a downer ending, wouldn't you say? (Rose and Bernard have a happy ending but they were more minor characters. Hurley and Ben protect the Island...but that would be a boring storyline, IMO.) So the writers chose to re-unite all the people that died at various times and locations by ushering them into the afterlife together. Not the ending I would have preferred but one of the few options that the writers left for themselves.

Benihana
05-24-2010, 11:15 AM
Wasn't the Ajira plane wired with explosives by Widmore? Did everyone forget about this or am I missing something?