PDA

View Full Version : So where are all these players gonna play?

nemesis
02-02-2010, 10:50 PM
The thing that truly excites me for this season is all the depth we have at AAA. In fact we have so much depth that guys who normally would have been a first call up might not even make the AAA roster...

The ML squad will consist of one way or another...

Votto
Phillips
Rolen
Cabrera
Probaly Gomes or Damon
Stubbs
Bruce
Hernandez

your bench will be more than likely

Hanigan
Dickerson
Miles
Janish
Balentien

Your AAA lineup is

Alonso
Valakia
Francisco
Cozart
Frazier
Heisey
Nix
Denove

With a 4 man bench of

Sutton
Miller
Dorn
Cairo

Leaving players such as

Burke
Anderson
Yarbrough
Castillo
West
Terrero
Griffin
Eymann

all without a job or a demotion to AA.

Actually if you go down the list there is a lot of fodder being pushed out of the organization this year.

I can see players like Castillo, Yarbrough, Eymann and Griffin dropping to AA. Castillo could be a personal catcher for Chapman if he ends up there. Might be a good organizational move for both of them.

Vottomatic
02-03-2010, 12:21 AM
If the Reds fall just short of contending but some of these veterans are having good seasons, they'll be more trading at the deadline that will both add more to our farm system and allow guys to move up and show us what they got in August and September.

Personally, I hope to make the playoffs instead.

Mr Larkin
02-03-2010, 12:48 AM
I'm not sure all of the vets would take an assignment to AAA. Who is out of options? Could we lose some of them because we have no room in Cincy? It is nice to at least feel like we have some depth - a luxury we have not enjoyed for some time.

Griffey012
02-03-2010, 02:00 AM
That AAA lineup is better than the Royals.

PhatHead
02-03-2010, 06:29 AM
Do you believe Balentien will get the bench job over Nix because he is better, because of his contract, or because he is right handed? I actually thought Nix might get the bench job because of his ability to play CF too.

nemesis
02-03-2010, 06:58 AM
Do you believe Balentien will get the bench job over Nix because he is better, because of his contract, or because he is right handed? I actually thought Nix might get the bench job because of his ability to play CF too.

Dickerson can play CF. I took Balentien over Nix because they would have to make a roster spot for Nix. Balentien is out of options and would not clear waivers. Plus Balentien hits RH like a LH.

flash
02-03-2010, 07:44 AM
I really don't see Balentein making the team over Fraizer or Heisey. Same thing with Miles. Francisco should also make the team.

I really think the whole outfield is up for grabs right now. bruce's spot in right is not even guaranteed. Remember, the Reds were not even that eager to bring him up from Louisville last September. So if he starts off slow, he may not be starting.

If Dusty was telling the truth about Alonso and catching, Alonso will be at Carolina not in Louisville.

The truth of the matter is that there will be serious competition for jobs in Arizona which is good.

DannyB
02-03-2010, 08:10 PM
Castillo could be a personal catcher for Chapman if he ends up there. Might be a good organizational move for both of them.

Does he actually catch?

Redsfan320
02-03-2010, 09:12 PM
Does he actually catch?

IIRC, that's his "real" position and the IF/OF work is just a bonus. But I could be wrong.

5ToolPlaya
02-04-2010, 10:11 AM
Wilkin Castillo was the starting catcher for the Dominican Republic in the first game of the Caribbean World Series a few days ago.

nemesis
02-04-2010, 02:36 PM
Does he actually catch?

Yes. He just has a weak bat. A switch hitting UT player that can Catch and speak spanish is worth holding onto just in case he develops enough of a bat to stick. His biggest weakness is his BB rate. It makes Francisco look like Bonds.

mdccclxix
02-04-2010, 04:16 PM
Ya know, when you look at the MLB free agent list, this thread could really be about all of baseball. Not sure if it's as prevalent annually, but there seems to be a lot of older guys dropping off. Steroid factor?

http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2008/12/2010-mlb-free-a.html