PDA

View Full Version : Who is the ONE player the 2010 season is most depending on?

Ghosts of 1990
02-04-2010, 09:47 AM
Okay, I'm going to use this topic for tonight's radio show.

Now is your chance to sound off.

The question is: Which ONE Reds player is the 2010's season success depending on the most, and why?

Looking forward to seeing everyone's answers.

texasdave
02-04-2010, 10:00 AM
Jay Bruce or Aaron Harang.

A scintillating Jay Bruce envigorates the offense.

I think the starting rotation is teetering. A healthy and effective Aaron Harang puts it in the above average category.

But since we have to limit it to one player. Jay Bruce. If he plays up to his capabilities I think 85 wins is not out of the question.

fugowitribe
02-04-2010, 10:17 AM
I think it has to be the LF platoon. If someone can have a breakout year in LF, then this team is a solid Starting Lineup and can get things moving toward a run at the playoffs. If we can't find a LF out of what we have, then it is either wait till next year for a run, or spend more money on a Free Agent LF mid season. Either way, if a LF doesn't seperate himself from the rest of the pack, this will be a black eye on the franchise for many years to come from a talent standpoint, or a money standpoint.

Griffey012
02-04-2010, 10:22 AM
I am going to go with Homer Bailey. If he pitches great like he did at the end up last season we have another strong weapon in our rotation and we can deal with Harang having a 4.75 e.r.a and basically being our 4th starter. If Bailey struggles like we have seen him do also, we have 2 holes to fill in our rotation, and things could get messy.

HalMorrisRules
02-04-2010, 10:26 AM
Drew Stubbs. Not to put pressure on the young man but it is imperative that he have success at the lead-off position for this team. Basically be everything that Taveras wasn't last year.

yab1112
02-04-2010, 10:44 AM
Tough question. I agree with dave that it's Harang or Bruce. I think it's gotta be Harang though. If he can return to that consistent solidness, he's the anchor of the rotation. If he's on his game, I feel like the rest of the rotation falls into place.

roby
02-04-2010, 11:08 AM
Jay Bruce can make or break the offense. He has all the potential in the world. Hopefully this year is the year that he breaks out and starts hammering like the superstar he has been predicted to be! What a great complement to Joey Votto.

Mr Larkin
02-04-2010, 11:09 AM
I'd go with Harang. If he is solid, then I think we have a good rotation. If he continues to struggle, then this season of promise could implode quickly. I think he still has something in the tank and he seems like he wants to get back on the top of his game, so I think he has what it takes to return to the Cy Young finalist of three years ago.

5ToolPlaya
02-04-2010, 11:10 AM
Harang.

krm1580
02-04-2010, 11:38 AM
The Reds pitching last year was average to slightly above the NL league average without anyone on the starting rotation having a fantastic season to skew the results. On the flip side hitting was abysmal by nearly every measure.

To me that indicates the most likely source for improvement by the Reds would be an improved offense which would make the most pivotal player the one with the with greatest potential for improvement - Jay Bruce.

BigPoppa
02-04-2010, 11:39 AM
Jay Bruce....if he can trim the strikeouts and find some consistency, the Reds 3-6 in the order could be very effective.

mattfeet
02-04-2010, 11:42 AM
Jay Bruce....if he can trim the strikeouts and find some consistency, the Reds 3-6 in the order could be very effective.

Agreed. Same answer from me.

-Matt

ian_madden
02-04-2010, 11:52 AM
Scott Rolen. If he can play everyday, light a fire in the bellies of the young players, and be the leader he was brought in to be, we could be very good.

Ghosts of 1990
02-04-2010, 11:53 AM
GREAT discussion so far. I'm going to use some of these better takes for tonight's show.

here's my thoughts on it. Hard to pick one single player. For me it was either Homer Bailey or Jay Bruce.
http://www.diamondhoggers.com/2010/02/2010s-most-indispensible-cincinnati-red.html

Alpha Zero
02-04-2010, 12:35 PM
It has to be Jay Bruce. At this point, we know what we're getting from Rolen, Phillips, Cabrera, and Votto. Bruce still has the most room to grow as an offensive player. If he posts an OPS near .900, this will be a formidable team.

Drew Stubbs and Homer Bailey are obviously the next most important pieces to the puzzle. Stubbs needs to post an OBP in excess of .340, and Bailey needs to cement his position as a mainstay in the Reds' rotation.

Luckily, these milestones seem imminently doable for each of these talented guys. We don't have to pray and wait for a miracle in 2010.

UPRedsFan
02-04-2010, 12:55 PM
For the offense, votes go to Bruce, Stubbs and the left field platoon

For the pitching, votes go to Harang, Bailey or Cueto. But Chapman may surprise everyone and become the most valuable piece.

Of these choices, Bruce is the obvious answer. He's capable of the biggest delta in my mind. A year like we all think he's capable of would mean a huge difference to the offense.

Mr Larkin
02-04-2010, 01:13 PM
Maybe I'm just too much of a homer, but I think that Bruce is going to come through. I see that as expected. I also am banking on Stubbs being able to do over the long range what he did at the end of the season. I'm not so worried about LF- with the rest of the line-up being solid, I think we can run out a player who can put up enough numbers and defense to keep everything together.
That's why I focus on Harang. I think if he returns to the form of three and four years ago we have as solid a starting five as we have had in many years and there is hope of even brighter days to come with Chapman making his way to the majors and Volquez coming back from injury.

Chris Sabowned
02-04-2010, 01:21 PM
I agree with most of the answers here. In order for us to contend were gonna need all of our guys with potential to play up to that potential.

I think Johnny Cueto is very important for this season. If he pitches like he pitched at the beginning of last year we will have a very tough pitching staff. The key is having him keep that up for the whole year.

RoundingThird
02-04-2010, 01:24 PM
Really good topic. I think it's Bruce. If he can start to live up to the potential he has, he instantly energizes our offense. We are a different team is Bruce can hit around .280 with 30 homers.

swaisuc
02-04-2010, 01:26 PM
I think its Homer Bailey. I have a pretty good feel for what we're getting from most of the other guys mentioned. I don't see the middle ground with homer. He could be our ace from day 1, or he could pitch his way out of the rotation.

That is obviously an extreme difference and a difference that may be worth ~ 5 wins to the Reds.

Vottomatic
02-04-2010, 02:02 PM
I can't pick one.

Harang needs to bounce back.
Arroyo and Bailey need to pitch well like the did the second half of last season.
Cueto needs to be well rested at the start of the season and hopefully not tire again.
Bruce needs to live up to expectations.

double21d
02-05-2010, 05:43 AM
It is definitely tough to pinpoint on one...Harang easily pops to mind.
However, Bruce needs to continue his maturation.
Bailey has to prove he can do it for an entire year consistently.
Scott Rolen has to stay healthy.
Stubbs has to prove he belongs and last year was not a fluke.

I scanned the replies very quickly...so I'm not sure if anyone mentioned this but honorable mention needs to go to Edinson Volquez. If he can come back for a decent chunk of this year and make the rotation better the Reds are more likely to be competitive going into August/September.

Kingspoint
02-05-2010, 06:04 AM
Jay Bruce is the one player.

He needs to take a huge step forward.

Redsfan320
02-05-2010, 06:18 AM
I think Rolen and Bruce both mean a lot to the lineup.

They'll probably be batting 5-6, so if Rolen does well and gets on base, there would be a runner on for Bruce, who also needs to hit well.

I agree with others that Harang needs to bounce back, but I fear that he's done.

Ghosts of 1990
02-05-2010, 09:15 AM
I agree with Bruce/Bailey.

It'd be nice to see Rolen or Phillips hit 6th behind Bruce, I think it would really help; but most likely Bruce is going to have to hit being protected by Ramon Hernandez or Chris Dickerson or Johnny Gomes or Ryan Hanigan. Not good.

Bill Slawski
02-05-2010, 11:13 AM
Possibly a choice that few would make, and not based upon offensive prowess or defensive skill, but I'm choosing Ramon Hernandez.

The Reds have a pitching lineup that could potentially set them apart from many teams in the Central division, have worked hard on improving defense, and may still find it hard to put bat to balls on some days and nights.

We do have a couple of vets in Harang and Arroyo manning the mound, but having Cueto, Bailey, Volquez, and the other young pitchers that round out the rotation (including possibly Chapman) grow and develop, may be one of the keys to the success of this team in 2010.

If Hernandez (and Hannigan) can bring something positive to the mental side of the game, to picking up situational observations and opportunities, to communicating effectively with the pitching staff during the flow of games, they could potentially take what is already perceived as a strength of this team, and make it even better.

I'd love to see Jay Bruce pick up his offense, Stubbs and Dickerson show they are solid MLB'ers, Rolen and Cabrera provide leadership by example, and Votto continue to mature into one of the better players in the game.

I hope Hannigan has been working hard on learning Spanish during the off season. That communication between pitcher and catcher may be one little thing that could make the biggest difference for the Reds in the coming season.

BoldOD
02-05-2010, 12:20 PM
Great question (would be interesting to revisit mid-season).

I believe the two biggest contributors to the Reds looking so much better down the stretch were Bailey on the mound and Rolen at the corner but more importantly in the clubhouse. If both perform like Aug/Sep 09 I am optimistic for the season.

PhatHead
02-05-2010, 12:50 PM
I gotta say Votto. Bruce's name is flying around, but honestly if Jay Bruce hit .240 with 20 HRs and 70 RBIs we would be disappointed by I don't think it kills our season. If Votto puts up those numbers, I think we're done.

Krawhitham
02-05-2010, 02:55 PM
Votto

If he has a horrible season then the Reds do too

FlyerFanatic
02-05-2010, 03:04 PM
bruce for sure. is it me or did last season, as the year went on, bruce became very impatient at the plate, hacking at pitches patterson/taveras would only swing at? damn dusty getting in his head.

Knightro28
02-05-2010, 03:11 PM
I would think Cabrera would have been touched on more in this thread. Starting shortstop, most likely 1 or 2 hitter. Pretty important.

FlyerFanatic
02-05-2010, 03:20 PM
I would think Cabrera would have been touched on more in this thread. Starting shortstop, most likely 1 or 2 hitter. Pretty important.

ridiculous hes gonna be 1 or 2 hitter. man, i hope dusty is gone after this season. cabrera should bat like 8th

Kingspoint
02-05-2010, 08:14 PM
ridiculous hes gonna be 1 or 2 hitter. man, i hope dusty is gone after this season. cabrera should bat like 8th

No kidding. Can the REDS really ever have a chance as long as Dusty's managing?

gedred69
02-05-2010, 11:43 PM
Take your pick, or hope for all three. (Bailey, Bruce, Stubbs). I feel everybody else is a known quantity, with the exception of LF. The right decision/platoon should answer that.

Kingspoint
02-06-2010, 05:39 AM
Take your pick, or hope for all three. (Bailey, Bruce, Stubbs). I feel everybody else is a known quantity, with the exception of LF. The right decision/platoon should answer that.

I find it interesting that almost everyone agrees on the same thing, a rarity at REDSZONE. That one thing being the "known quality" versus the "unknown quality", with Bruce being the biggest "unknown quality", with a consensus opinion about Harang being the 2nd biggest "unknown quality".

It kind of shows me that most of us here agree on the basics about the REDS for the most part. There's no mystery. Kind of how REDSZONE can usually get within a couple of games of the expected season win total when we do the prediction thread.

There really are a lot of realists here,... very strange for an internet forum.

Props to the mods and owners for putting it together in a way that draws this out. No, I'm not kissing any you-know-what, so forget about it.

improbus
02-06-2010, 08:39 AM
100% Bruce. If he isn't good, our offense is very pedestrian. If he is a threat, we can at least be league average.

Ghosts of 1990
02-06-2010, 08:43 AM
See I don't think you can say Votto is make or break; for the sheer fact that we're almost expecting .300/25-30/100 out of him. It's almost a given if he stays healthy. For us to be good we need to get what we've came to expect out of the proven players and we need a few "X" factors (Bruce, Dickerson, Stubbs, Frazier, Bailey, etc.) to jump up off their usual stat norm and have a breakout year. Then we'll jump off the page.

Almost unfair, but Phillips, Rolen, Cabrera, Votto, Ramon Hernandez, all veterans must show up and put up the numbers they've put up over the course of their careers in good years.

Ghosts of 1990
02-06-2010, 08:44 AM
100% Bruce. If he isn't good, our offense is very pedestrian. If he is a threat, we can at least be league average.

I mean, if he is a threat..... the lineup is pretty nasty. Maybe one of the better in the NL, right?

I don't think we're 'Pedestrian' either way.

CRedsLarkin11
02-06-2010, 09:50 AM
I agree with most, I think it's Bruce. We need another guy that can knock in runners other than Votto.

goreds2
02-06-2010, 10:57 AM
I think it has to be the LF platoon.

Agreed, I do not want us to go out and mortgage our future by having to obtain a vetern if in fact we are in it late July.

roby
02-06-2010, 11:57 AM
I think I have the answer... The guy they haven't aquired yet. The big bat to play left field!

PhillipsHead
02-06-2010, 12:24 PM

Horrible post.

Cabrera batted .282 last year, scored 83 runs and drove in 77. With the second to last offense in the NL last year, and only one hitter who hit over .280 (Votto) over a full season with the Reds, I'd say he's a LOCK as our 2 hitter.

But of course it would be Dusty's fault for making the right choice.

I'm sure you'll follow that up by telling me you'd like Dickerson to hit 2....

Orodle
02-06-2010, 04:01 PM
Bruce having a .290 30+ HR season

FlyerFanatic
02-06-2010, 04:57 PM
Horrible post.

Cabrera batted .282 last year, scored 83 runs and drove in 77. With the second to last offense in the NL last year, and only one hitter who hit over .280 (Votto) over a full season with the Reds, I'd say he's a LOCK as our 2 hitter.

But of course it would be Dusty's fault for making the right choice.

I'm sure you'll follow that up by telling me you'd like Dickerson to hit 2....

horrible post? shall i reference you to the last 2 seasons lineups dusty has filled out? hows that worked out? i suppose you'll come back with how dusty knows what hes doing and i shouldnt blame him for anything...

PhillipsHead
02-06-2010, 04:58 PM
horrible post? shall i reference you to the last 2 seasons lineups dusty has filled out? hows that worked out? i suppose you'll come back with how dusty knows what hes doing and i shouldnt blame him for anything...

I don't care much for Dusty, but that was just a retarded post.

Cabrera IS the two hitter we need, and Dusty would be an idiot NOT to hit hit there.

RiverRat13
02-06-2010, 05:09 PM
Jay Bruce. It probably isn't fair for a 23 year-old to have such weight on his shoulders, but it is what it is.

FlyerFanatic
02-06-2010, 05:16 PM
I don't care much for Dusty, but that was just a retarded post.

Cabrera IS the two hitter we need, and Dusty would be an idiot NOT to hit hit there.

retarded post? i guess just as retarded as batting corey patterson and taveras in the lead off spot...good ol' dusty. oh wait...its not his fault...:rolleyes:

gedred69
02-06-2010, 06:47 PM
retarded post? i guess just as retarded as batting corey patterson and taveras in the lead off spot...good ol' dusty. oh wait...its not his fault...:rolleyes:

Why bring up the Flops from the past two seasons? Do you expect Cabrera to be likewise? (Just asking).....

FlyerFanatic
02-06-2010, 11:13 PM
Why bring up the Flops from the past two seasons? Do you expect Cabrera to be likewise? (Just asking).....

i just dont see how one can call my lineup suggestion retarded, when dusty has yet to prove he can fill out a lineup card correctly. we can agree to disagree on if cabrera should be in the 2 hole, but to call my post retarded? i can only gather that the poster must like how dusty fills the lineup cards.

mlh1981
02-07-2010, 02:24 PM
I agree with the names mentioned, but I'll also add Ryan Hanigan/Ramon Hernandez. We need a year of above average production out of the catcher spot for once, and with the young arms on this staff, consistent veteran leadership is needed to get these guys through jams.

Girevik
02-08-2010, 08:55 AM
I gotta go with Arroyo / Harang. If one of these guys has a bounce back year, the Reds will be in the playoff hunt until the end.

bounty37h
02-08-2010, 09:19 AM
Possibly a choice that few would make, and not based upon offensive prowess or defensive skill, but I'm choosing Ramon Hernandez.

The Reds have a pitching lineup that could potentially set them apart from many teams in the Central division, have worked hard on improving defense, and may still find it hard to put bat to balls on some days and nights.

We do have a couple of vets in Harang and Arroyo manning the mound, but having Cueto, Bailey, Volquez, and the other young pitchers that round out the rotation (including possibly Chapman) grow and develop, may be one of the keys to the success of this team in 2010.

If Hernandez (and Hannigan) can bring something positive to the mental side of the game, to picking up situational observations and opportunities, to communicating effectively with the pitching staff during the flow of games, they could potentially take what is already perceived as a strength of this team, and make it even better.

I'd love to see Jay Bruce pick up his offense, Stubbs and Dickerson show they are solid MLB'ers, Rolen and Cabrera provide leadership by example, and Votto continue to mature into one of the better players in the game.

I hope Hannigan has been working hard on learning Spanish during the off season. That communication between pitcher and catcher may be one little thing that could make the biggest difference for the Reds in the coming season.

Not to be an azz, but why wouldnt we hope the others have worked on learning English this off season then?

Mr Larkin
02-08-2010, 11:43 AM
No kidding. Can the REDS really ever have a chance as long as Dusty's managing?

Dusty, my fellow Reds fans, was a proven commodity when he was hired. He has been named manager of the year before and has guided his teams to the playoffs. He has been a solid manager before and I think he continues to be a solid manager.

I think we have been losing because we have not had the talent. It is not the manager's fault that the players are not capable of playing as well as the competition. Would the Red's fortunes been different if Willy was not the leadoff hitter last year? No. Would the Reds have been World Series ready if they had not had Corey in CF two years ago? No. In order to win, the players must play better than the other team. Our players have not been able to do so since Dusty has been at the helm.

I think this could be the first year where we are equal to the task as far as having players who can honestly compete. Let's see if Dusty can now deliver the solid managing skills he displayed as a successful manager before he arrived in Cincy.

FlyerFanatic
02-08-2010, 12:31 PM
Dusty, my fellow Reds fans, was a proven commodity when he was hired. He has been named manager of the year before and has guided his teams to the playoffs. He has been a solid manager before and I think he continues to be a solid manager.

I think we have been losing because we have not had the talent. It is not the manager's fault that the players are not capable of playing as well as the competition. Would the Red's fortunes been different if Willy was not the leadoff hitter last year? No. Would the Reds have been World Series ready if they had not had Corey in CF two years ago? No. In order to win, the players must play better than the other team. Our players have not been able to do so since Dusty has been at the helm.

I think this could be the first year where we are equal to the task as far as having players who can honestly compete. Let's see if Dusty can now deliver the solid managing skills he displayed as a successful manager before he arrived in Cincy.

i think theres no question the talent level needed to be upgraded. but how can one be okay with patterson and taveras being the lead off guys the past 2 yrs? it just hamstrung the entire lineup when your leadoff guy could NEVER get on. clearly its not the total problem, but it sure doesnt help seeing their numbers pop up on the screen and some of the stats you would hear about as they sucked. then to see dusty be so stubborn and not mix the lineup up and move them down is just ludicrous. basically, he wasnt utilizing the lineup the best way he could with the players he had.

the manager of the year stuff doesnt hold weight imo, if the team is good enough and has one of the best hitters in the game on it, not going to be hard to win that award. look at what dusty did when he got to chicago, no he didnt ruin prior and wood's arms, his first year he won the central, then every year on out proceeded to do worse and worse.

Boston Red
02-08-2010, 12:54 PM
Chris Burke for sure.

gedred69
02-09-2010, 06:43 PM
i just dont see how one can call my lineup suggestion retarded, when dusty has yet to prove he can fill out a lineup card correctly. we can agree to disagree on if cabrera should be in the 2 hole, but to call my post retarded? i can only gather that the poster must like how dusty fills the lineup cards.

I don't give a rat's a** about your purported line-up, and the "retarded" retorts, brought by other(s) on this or any other site. I simply asked, do you think Cabrera was going to be a Patterson/Taveras-like flop?

FlyerFanatic
02-09-2010, 06:45 PM
I don't give a rat's a** about your purported line-up, and the "retarded" retorts, brought by other(s) on this or any other site. I simply asked, do you think Cabrera was going to be a Patterson/Taveras-like flop?

nope, i dont. doesnt mean i wanna see him at the 2 spot...

dusty supporter i take it?