PDA

View Full Version : Favorite Western

TRF
02-05-2010, 02:30 PM
In honor of the favorite war movie thread....

While I'd love to say films like Unforgiven, or 3:10 to Yuma, my favorite Western is....

Support Your Local Sheriff.

I also like "The Broken Trail" mini series. Was not a Lonesome Dove fan at all. Just didn't grab me. Silverado was decent. Tombstone is great for running movie lines.

Will M
02-05-2010, 02:35 PM
Rio Lobo. Not the classic Rio Bravo. Rio Lobo is a kinda cheesy John Wayne western where he plays an ex Union Colonel who teams up with two ex Confederate soldiers to save a small town.

George Anderson
02-05-2010, 03:07 PM
Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid
The Outlaw Josey Wales
The Assassination of Jesse James by the Coward Robert Ford
Rooster Cogburn

westofyou
02-05-2010, 03:09 PM
The Searchers
The Shootist
The Man who shot Liberty Valence
The Long Riders
Unforgiven
The Ox Bow Incident
Broken Arrow

TRF
02-05-2010, 03:27 PM
The Searchers
The Shootist
The Long Riders
Unforgiven
The Ox Bow Incident
Broken Arrow

"He shot Liberty!"

god that man had the tinniest voice.

TRF
02-05-2010, 03:28 PM
The Outlaw Josey Wales
The Assassination of Jesse James by the Coward Robert Ford
Rooster Cogburn

Rooster Cogburn and not True Grit?

I prefer True Grit.

BRM
02-05-2010, 03:33 PM

I prefer True Grit.

Same here but I like both. I also like your favorite, Support Your Local Sheriff. Support Your Local Gunfighter was good too.

Some other John Wayne favorites, besides the ones already listed:

El Dorado
The Comancheros
The War Wagon
Chisum
The Undefeated

Not many of his movies I don't like honestly.

George Anderson
02-05-2010, 04:38 PM

I prefer True Grit.

True Grit was good but the girl got on my nerves big time.

But any flick with The Duke and Glenn Campbell hasta be good.

Rojo
02-05-2010, 04:40 PM
Rio Lobo. Not the classic Rio Bravo.

Rio Bravo is the right answer.

marcshoe
02-05-2010, 05:14 PM
Red River's my favorite John Wayne role, mostly because he plays a sort of bad guy and does it so well that you actually dread seeing him come on screen.

Blimpie
02-05-2010, 05:23 PM
Hang 'Em High
High Plains Drifter
The Good, the Bad and the Ugly
Unforgiven
Tombstone
3:10 to Yuma
Blazing Saddles

TRF
02-05-2010, 05:27 PM
Villain with Arnold and Kirk Douglas.

Betterread
02-05-2010, 05:59 PM
Unsanitized US western "The Wild Bunch"
santized, US Hollywood western "High Noon"
Cheesy, stereotypical spaghetti western "the good, the bad and the ugly"
Australian western "the Proposition"

MrCinatit
02-05-2010, 06:30 PM
Once Upon A Time In The West
The Good, The Bad, The Ugly.

oneupper
02-05-2010, 07:04 PM
They call me Trinity
Annie Get Your Gun (yeah, yeah...I can do anything better than you)

Suffice to say I haven't seen a western in a LONG time.

Spazzrico
02-05-2010, 07:19 PM
The Wild Bunch
For a Few Dollars More
A Fistful of Dollars
Good the Bad and the Ugly
High Noon

savafan
02-05-2010, 07:23 PM
The Missouri Breaks

TeamSelig
02-05-2010, 08:02 PM
anything with clint eastwood

Kingspoint
02-05-2010, 08:15 PM
"The Man Who Shot Liberty Valance"

But, my favorite moment is from a John Wayne movie where in the last scene he rides off into the sunset and the era of the Cowboy and the Old West rode off with him. Forgot which movie that was.

Ravenlord
02-05-2010, 11:56 PM
The Man Who Shot Liberty Vallence

Broken Arrow

Lonesome Dove (all five parts)

Ravenlord
02-05-2010, 11:56 PM
"The Man Who Shot Liberty Valance"

But, my favorite moment is from a John Wayne movie where in the last scene he rides off into the sunset and the era of the Cowboy and the Old West rode off with him. Forgot which movie that was.
The Shootist.

Kingspoint
02-06-2010, 05:46 AM
The Shootist.

Thank you. That was a great movie, and very great Western.

A similar feeling right now is the sadness that comes with the disappearance of the last of the World War II Veterans. There's very few of them left.

When I went to Honolulu 3 years ago, I read every single name that appeared on the wall at the Pearl Harbor Memorial. I felt I owed them that much. It was pretty heart-wrenching.

sonny
02-06-2010, 09:42 AM
The Searchers - John Wayne at his best

KittyDuran
02-06-2010, 11:14 AM
Not much of a Western movie fan so my favs in that genre tend to be what I call "non-standard" comedies/musicals...

Evil Roy Slade
Dirty Dingus McGee
Blazing Saddles
McLintock!
Great Scout & Cathouse Tuesday
The Paleface
Calamity Jane
Ruggles of Red Gap
Fancy Pants
Westworld ("Draw")

Reds4Life
02-06-2010, 12:12 PM
Not a classic, but Tombstone.

Kilmer did a great job with Doc Holiday.

Tom Servo
02-06-2010, 01:57 PM
Definately The Good, The Bad, and The Ugly.

Screwball
02-06-2010, 02:14 PM
Appaloosa

savafan
02-06-2010, 02:17 PM

Oh, it will be a classic!

HalMorrisRules
02-06-2010, 04:35 PM
I was always kinda partial to Silverado.

IowaRed
02-06-2010, 04:57 PM
High Noon
Outlaw Josie Wales

Hoosier Red
02-06-2010, 05:12 PM
My vote goes to Tombstone. Great great movie.

RedsBaron
02-06-2010, 05:31 PM
Tombstone may not be the greatest western ever, but it is easily my favorite. Terrific dialogue, wonderful cast, just a lot of fun.
Rio Lobo and Rio Bravo have already been mentioned, but of the three times Howard Hawks essentially made that movie I prefer El Dorado, which had the best cast of the three, with Robert Mitchum playing the Dean Martin character and James Caan playing the Ricky Nelson character from Rio Bravo. Rio Lobo had the weakest cast of the three, although any film with Jennifer O'Neill is worth watching.
The Searchers and The Man Who Shot Liberty Valance are probably John Wyane's best westerns, but Red River and She Wore A Yellow Ribon were very god.
The Outlaw Josey Wales is my favorite Clint Eastwwod western, and, just like Tombstone, has some great lines.
Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid is another favorite with wonderful dialogue.
No western had a better closing scene than Joey yelling "Shane! Come back!" in Shane.

Kingspoint
02-06-2010, 07:22 PM
The Searchers - John Wayne at his best

Thanks, sonny. Yes. It was "The Searchers", not "The Shootist", where Wayne rides off into the Sunset and the Era of the Cowboy and the Old West rides off with him.

Probably the most depth of any John Wayne character, and to me, John Wayne's greatest acting job, but that could easily be arguable, as he had so many.

VR
02-06-2010, 07:32 PM
anything with clint eastwood

amen to that....but "Il buono, il brutto, il cattivo" is tops

redsfanmia
02-06-2010, 08:10 PM
The Man Who Shot Liberty Valance
The Sons of Kati Elder
Cheyenne Social Club

mth123
02-06-2010, 08:22 PM
The Magnificent Seven
Tombstone
Silverado
El Dorado
True Grit
McClintock
Open Range
High Noon
My Darling Clementine
Stagecoach

Raisor
02-06-2010, 08:27 PM
For pure watching enjoyment, nothing beats Tombstone. I've seen it so many times the grooves on the DVD are wearing out. Otherwise, if it's got John Wayne, Lee Marvin and/or Jimmy Stewart in it, I'll watch it. I'll also agree with TRF with loving Support Your Local Sheriff.

KronoRed
02-06-2010, 10:12 PM
Paint Your Wagon.

OnBaseMachine
02-06-2010, 10:23 PM
Pat Garrett and Billy the Kid.

GAC
02-07-2010, 04:57 AM
I'm probably the western aficionado of this forum. That's all I ever seem to want to watch. My TV in the bedroom pretty much stays on the Encore Western channel, and my DVD collection is pretty extensive and continues to grow.

Everyone has pretty much mentioned many of the classics that include such luminaries as Wayne and Eastwood. Did either of them ever make a bad western? Not IMO. :lol:

I always thought Eastwood's character in Unforgiven was a final portrayal of the "man with no name" character and basically what happens to him at the "end of the trail".

Just watched Two Mules For Sister Sara too.

Lately I've been into Jimmy Stewart westerns. After Stewart came back from serving in WW2 his "restart" to his career didn't exactly take off, even had some flops, so he returned to westerns in the 50s with such westerns as Broken Arrow, Winchester 73, Bend of the River, Naked Spur, The Far Country, and Man From Laramie. Recently I've added every one to my collection, and watched Winchester 73 and The Far Country last night. Two of my favorite Stewart westerns.

Walter Brennan, IMO, is the best western sidekick of all-time, as far as western movies go. He co-starred with some of the best, including with Gary Cooper in The Westerner as hanging Judge Roy Bean (another one of my favorites), as well as with Stewart, Wayne, and others.

The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly is one of my all-time favorites. But I am a BIG fan of Sergio Leone and spaghetti westerns.... Once Upon A Time In The West is one of his best.

Anyone fans of Terence Hill and Bud Spencer, and the Trinity movies? Just recently purchased My Name Is Nobody with Hill and Henry Fonda.

Errol Flynn notables.... Dodge City, Virginia City, Sante Fe Trail.

True Grit was good but the girl got on my nerves big time.

Kim Darby (Mattie Ross). Wanted to shoot her myself. ;)

One of the greatest lines from a western (and maybe scene) was when Rooster was facing down Ned Pepper and his gang in that valley...

Rooster: I mean to kill you in one minute, Ned. Or see you hanged in Fort Smith at Judge Parker's convenience. Which'll it be?
Ned: I call that bold talk for a one-eyed fat man!
Rooster: Fill your hand, you son of a b****!

While True Grit was a good movie, and I loved Wayne's character, I still say his portrayal as Ethan Edwards in The Searchers is his best.

It's a classic in my book. Has some of the best lines in a western. Costner's Wyatt Earp came out around the same time. It was far more historically accurate, yet not as entertaining as Tombstone.

GAC
02-07-2010, 05:17 AM
Greatest Western Shootouts

A Western just isn't a Western without at least one good shootout. So it goes to follow that a great shootout pretty much means a great movie. Here are ten battles that set the standard for the genre.....

http://blogs.amctv.com/photo-galleries/greatest-western-shootouts/introduction.php

Kingspoint
02-07-2010, 06:23 AM
Errol Flynn notables.... Dodge City, Virginia City, Sante Fe Trail.

Kim Darby (Mattie Ross). Wanted to shoot her myself. ;)

I can't watch "True Grit" because I can't stand Kim Darby. It took me over 25 years to watch it from start to finish.

Just watched Santa Fe Trail again (Dodge City twice in the last 8 months, and Virginia City once, and Flynn as Custer once). In honor of Ronald Reagan's 99th Birthday, (Happy Birthday, Ronnie!), he looked pretty sharp there in Santa Fe Trail with Flynn and Van Heflin.

It still kills me that there were people in that movie still doing the "throwing" of the pistol forward every time they shot the pistol. It looks like a 5-year old playing "guns".

Just watched "The Westerner", too, in the last week along with a couple of Robert Taylor Westerns.

Speaking of "The Western Channel", something that I haven't seen on it in about 10+ years was the 1986 mini-series, "Dream West" about the life of John Charles Fremon' (changed to Fremont). It turns out that Fremont was probably one of the 10 most influential people in the history of the United States. I'm not exaggerating. I can prove it if anyone's interested, but I'll tell you why in a pm. Actually, I'll try to start a thread about it. If looked at from a "history" standpoint, politics can be avoided.

That western mini-series about "The Pathfinder" inspired me to really find out about his life. I even found where two of his children were buried, their gravestones had been completely covered up (probably for about 50+ years), and I uncovered them revealing the tenderest markers with "Annie" and "Benton" on them. Both were child's graves while both had passed away in other cities and eventually buried nest to their Grandfather, the great Senator Thomas Hart Benton. I can't think of anyone who led a fuller life than John Fremont.

If you like the Old West, St. Louis has many historical opportunities of interest that reveal a lot of the beginnings of the exploration West of the Mississippi.

Mario-Rijo
02-07-2010, 10:49 AM
Anyone fans of Terence Hill and Bud Spencer, and the Trinity movies? Just recently purchased My Name Is Nobody with Hill and Henry Fonda.

Absolutely I own "They call me Trinity", great stuff, Terrence Hill is one smooth character in a very unique way, which is what makes the movies he does entertaining. That and the gun slinging. I been wanting to add My name is Nobody haven't seen it for years, things have been a bit tight lately, so I'll have to wait on that.

It's a classic in my book. Has some of the best lines in a western. Costner's Wyatt Earp came out around the same time. It was far more historically accurate, yet not as entertaining as Tombstone.

Agree 100% on that quote.

marcshoe
02-07-2010, 10:50 AM
My biggest problem with this category is that I've seen most of these movies so many times that it takes something away from how good they really were. Movies such as The Searchers, The Westerner, High Noon, Shane, and Broken Arrow really were top notch, though, and I enjoyed the John Wayne movies from the sixties where he played a larger than life version of himself as well.

One thing I really liked that hasn't been mentioned here was the "Into The West" mini-series from a few years back.

Mario-Rijo
02-07-2010, 10:56 AM
Greatest Western Shootouts

A Western just isn't a Western without at least one good shootout. So it goes to follow that a great shootout pretty much means a great movie. Here are ten battles that set the standard for the genre.....

http://blogs.amctv.com/photo-galleries/greatest-western-shootouts/introduction.php

I think they should have added Appaloosa, I don't know that there is a more realistic shootout in the history of the genre. Of course if there is perhaps you would know GAC, what say you?

Mario-Rijo
02-07-2010, 10:58 AM
Another topic really but what about best Cowboy? Personally as much as I like Eastwood and the Duke I really like Robert Duvall he just seems like the genuine article IMO. Also like Sam Elliott.

Mario-Rijo
02-07-2010, 11:03 AM
In honor of the favorite war movie thread....

While I'd love to say films like Unforgiven, or 3:10 to Yuma, my favorite Western is....

Support Your Local Sheriff.

I also like "The Broken Trail" mini series. Was not a Lonesome Dove fan at all. Just didn't grab me. Silverado was decent. Tombstone is great for running movie lines.

Anything with Duvall is up there on my list but Lonesome Dove was by far my favorite, how it could not grab you amazes me.

marcshoe
02-07-2010, 11:07 AM
Another topic really but what about best Cowboy? Personally as much as I like Eastwood and the Duke I really like Robert Duvall he just seems like the genuine article IMO. Also like Sam Elliott.

I'd add Gary Cooper Like Duvall, his screen persona fit the genre perfectly.

VR
02-07-2010, 11:28 AM
[QUOTE=GAC;2022771]Rooster: I mean to kill you in one minute, Ned. Or see you hanged in Fort Smith at Judge Parker's convenience. Which'll it be?
Ned: I call that bold talk for a one-eyed fat man!
Rooster: Fill your hand, you son of a b****!

I'm thinking an entire new thread could be dedicated to best quotes of all time from Westerns. Clint Eastwood may have 8 out of the top 10 :)

GAC
02-07-2010, 01:11 PM
Speaking of "The Western Channel", something that I haven't seen on it in about 10+ years was the 1986 mini-series, "Dream West" about the life of John Charles Fremon' (changed to Fremont). It turns out that Fremont was probably one of the 10 most influential people in the history of the United States. I'm not exaggerating. I can prove it if anyone's interested, but I'll tell you why in a pm. Actually, I'll try to start a thread about it. If looked at from a "history" standpoint, politics can be avoided.

Never heard of it, but you've peaked my interest, so I'll have to see if I can find it. And you are right about Fremont.

I get home from work in the afternoon and find myself watching several of the old TV westerns from the 50s/60s every night..... Cheyenne, Have Gun Will Travel, and The Virginian. Good stuff.

Another TV mini-series that came out several years ago, and I have on DVD, is "Into The West". Not bad.

In the last couple of weeks, I've picked up copies of The Plainsman (Gary Cooper), The Cowboys (JW), and Jeremiah Johnson (Redford) in various discount bins.

Another movie I just saw for the first time a couple years ago, because I'm not the biggest fan of Sharon Stone, was The Quick and the Dead. Darn good movie though.

Betterread
02-07-2010, 05:48 PM
The Coen Brothers cast Sam Elliott as the quintessential cowboy, just as they cast Albert Finney as the quintessential Irish mobster and Jeff Bridges as the quintessential slacker. They make brilliant casting decisions.

Raisor
02-08-2010, 10:21 PM
In the last couple of weeks, I've picked up copies of The Plainsman (Gary Cooper), The Cowboys (JW), and Jeremiah Johnson (Redford) in various discount bins.

The Cowboys is a great movie to use while playing the Kevin Bacon game.

TRF
02-09-2010, 09:22 AM
Am I the only person that liked Quigley Down Under?

SunDeck
02-09-2010, 09:31 AM
Unforgiven.

BRM
02-09-2010, 09:32 AM

One of my dad's all-time favorites. I thought it was alright.

RedsBaron
02-09-2010, 08:23 PM

I liked it. It has a great line, one I've used in my work: "This ain't Dodge City. And you ain't Bill Hickok."

Driver62
02-12-2010, 12:58 PM
I love westerns so it's hard to pick the best but here goes.

Jerimiah Johnson
Unforgiven - Clint Eastwood was great
Outlaw Josie Wales - Chief Dan George was great
The Searchers
Open Range - Great gunfight at the end
True Grit - Even though Kim Darby was annoying
The Shootist - Wayne's last movie
She Wore A Yellow Ribbon - One of Wayne's best
The Alamo
Dances With Wolves - Great movie
McClintock - Funny
The Man Who Shot Liberty Valance - Lee Marvin was nasty
Shane - Jack Palance was also nasty
Hang 'Em High
Silverado
Tombstone
The Westerner
High Noon

BoydsOfSummer
02-12-2010, 07:36 PM
Don't think I've seen "Dances with Wolves" mentioned. Watched again the other night. Really like it.

GAC
02-13-2010, 04:12 AM
Anyone ever seen the movie called Purgatory? It starred Sam Shepard, Eric Roberts, and Randy Quaid. It was kinda like Rod Serling goes west. The movie takes place in a small western town called Refuge. Refuge is unique in that it’s residents are deceased famous outlaws hoping to get to heaven, but stuck in a kind of purgatory. The townsfolk stay in Refuge, existing in peace and atoning for their murderous lives. This peaceful existence would be easy if it were not for the rowdy band of cowboys (led by Roberts) that arrive. Furthermore, heaven is depicted by a stagecoach that comes to collect those individuals who have successfully completed their stay. Hell, on the other hand is just a few short steps away in the fog shrouded graveyard.

I liked it.

Razor Shines
02-13-2010, 06:24 AM
The Searchers
The Shootist
The Long Riders
Unforgiven
The Ox Bow Incident
Broken Arrow

John Travolta, Christian Slater, missing Nucs...what's not to love?

RedsBaron
02-13-2010, 08:45 AM
Anyone ever seen the movie called Purgatory?
I've never seen "Purgatory" but I was once "there." Do you recall the TV movie "The Sacketts," which featured Tom Selleck, Sam Elliott, Ben Johnson and Glenn Ford? It is a good western that is re-telecast from time to time; Selleck and Elliott later made another western, "The Shadow Riders," both based upon Louis L'Amour novels.
Anyway, part of "The Sacketts" took place in the town of "Purgatory." Those scenes were filmed at a re-created old west town called "Buckskin Joe's" located near Colorado Springs. Kim and I visited there in 1987. It was neat to walk through the town, recalling scenes from the movie.

RedEye
02-13-2010, 10:50 AM
Lots of essential titles already mentioned here. Among Ford's other films, I've always been partial to both My Darling Clementine (1946)--which is certainly a western--and Young Mr. Lincoln (1939)--which is probably a western. I tend to like anything Henry Fonda is in though.

BTW, I also think that Ace in the Hole (Billy Wilder, 1951) is an interesting genre hybrid of noir and the western. Be interested to hear what others think.

Kingspoint
02-13-2010, 04:18 PM
Lots of essential titles already mentioned here. Among Ford's other films, I've always been partial to both My Darling Clementine (1946)--which is certainly a western--and Young Mr. Lincoln (1939)--which is probably a western. I tend to like anything Henry Fonda is in though.

BTW, I also think that Ace in the Hole (Billy Wilder, 1951) is an interesting genre hybrid of noir and the western. Be interested to hear what others think.

When "The West" was between the Appalachian Mountains and the Mississippi, those were the days of the first 'Western Pioneers'. Nothing historically accurate about those films made about those times, but I love all of them. Wish they would make more about that period. But, they just don't appeal to the "movie crowd" of teenagers.

RedEye
02-13-2010, 06:37 PM
When "The West" was between the Appalachian Mountains and the Mississippi, those were the days of the first 'Western Pioneers'. Nothing historically accurate about those films made about those times, but I love all of them. Wish they would make more about that period. But, they just don't appeal to the "movie crowd" of teenagers.

True, you have a point. Although I suppose the genre doesn't strictly require "The West" to be what we now regard as a geographical area. Leone, for one, exploded that idea many times over. In some ways, I'd call Star Wars or Mad Max westerns, for example... or at least western-inflected sci fi films. I've never really watched fiction movies for historical accuracy--but that might just be me.

Interesting what you say about the "movie crowd" of teens these days. I've often thought the western would be much more of a big seller if they just gave it another shot. Tarantino, for example, did a pretty good job in Kill Bill II and Robert Rodriguez has made several that qualify. I've often thought that if some of those guys would make more straightforward genre films, the younger viewers would be right on board again. Hollywood is all about cycles and imitating success--so all it really takes is one or two hits.

GAC
02-14-2010, 05:36 AM
John Travolta, Christian Slater, missing Nucs...what's not to love?

:lol:

I think he was referring to....

http://t1.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:A0nBB6b4hZbgIM:http://blip.tv/file/get/Calfkiller-BrokenArrowScreenDirectorsPlayhouse146.mp3.jpg

RedsBaron
02-14-2010, 07:27 AM
True, you have a point. Although I suppose the genre doesn't strictly require "The West" to be what we now regard as a geographical area. Leone, for one, exploded that idea many times over. In some ways, I'd call Star Wars or Mad Max westerns, for example... or at least western-inflected sci fi films. I've never really watched fiction movies for historical accuracy--but that might just be me.

The TV series "Firefly" and its movie continuation "Serenity" are excellent examples of westerns set in space.

GAC
02-15-2010, 04:38 AM
The TV series "Firefly" and its movie continuation "Serenity" are excellent examples of westerns set in space.

Are there any saloons and Indians? :mooner:

GAC
02-15-2010, 04:44 AM
I've never seen "Purgatory" but I was once "there." Do you recall the TV movie "The Sacketts," which featured Tom Selleck, Sam Elliott, Ben Johnson and Glenn Ford? It is a good western that is re-telecast from time to time; Selleck and Elliott later made another western, "The Shadow Riders," both based upon Louis L'Amour novels.
Anyway, part of "The Sacketts" took place in the town of "Purgatory." Those scenes were filmed at a re-created old west town called "Buckskin Joe's" located near Colorado Springs. Kim and I visited there in 1987. It was neat to walk through the town, recalling scenes from the movie.

I found the movie Purgatory on Amazon cheap. Gonna get a copy.

I use to love to read Louis L'Amour. Good books. He and Zane Grey were two of the finest western writers IMO.

I never knew that Grey was somewhat of a baseball talent in his younger days, and went to the University of Pennsylvania on a baseball scholarship, where he studied dentistry.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zane_Grey

When he arrived at Penn, he had to prove himself worthy of a scholarship before receiving it. He rose to the occasion by coming in to pitch against the Riverton club, pitching five no-run innings and producing a double in the tenth which contributed to the win. The Ivy League was highly competitive and an excellent training ground for future pro baseball players. Grey was a solid hitter and an excellent pitcher who relied on a sharply dropping curve ball. When the distance from the pitcher's mound to the plate was lengthened by ten feet in 1894 (primarily to reduce the dominance of Cy Young’s pitching), the effectiveness of Grey’s pitching suffered. He was re-positioned to the outfield. The short, wiry baseball player remained a campus hero on the strength of his timely hitting.

RedsBaron
02-15-2010, 06:53 AM
Are there any saloons and Indians? :mooner:

There most definitely were saloons, and horses, and handguns that resembled the revolvers of the 1860s on "Firefly." If you have never seen the series or movie, you need to do so.
My dad once owned a set of hard cover Zane Grey westerns, and I read a few of them, including "Riders of the Purple Sage","The Lone Star Ranger" and "The Hash Knife Outfit."

flyer85
02-16-2010, 10:45 AM
Outlaw Josie Wales
McClintock
Goin' South
High Plains Drifter
Once Upon a Time in the West
The Searchers

Nugget
02-16-2010, 07:36 PM
I don't believe no one has mentioned The Magnificent Seven - also one the best scores ever too. The Magnificent Seven Rides Again was okay too.

Also The Sundowners was one the best too.

Probably will get flamed for this one but what about Back to the Future Part III?

GAC
02-17-2010, 04:32 AM
Probably will get flamed for this one but what about Back to the Future Part III?

I'd put it right there with The Shakiest Gun In The West.... Don Knotts, Marty McFly, and Dr Emmett Brown. The West would never be the same again.

http://www.clown-ministry.com/images/don-knotts-shakiest-gun-west.jpg

GAC
02-17-2010, 04:35 AM
Goin' South

I loved the scene where Nicholson was on the other side of the river taunting, having escaped the posse, while unknowingly his horse behind him drops dead. :lol:

gonelong
02-17-2010, 12:15 PM
Eastwood
* A Fistful of Dollars
* For a few dollars more.
* The Good, the Bad, the Ugly
* Hang 'em High
* Paint your wagon
* High Plains Drifter
* The Outlaw Josey Wales
* Pale Rider
* Unforgiven

I'd be happy with just those. I like my cowboys tough, quiet, and smoking cigars. :)

GL

RichRed
02-17-2010, 01:41 PM
This was one of my dad's favorites - used to make him laugh like crazy. Nothing says Western like Dean Martin and Joey Bishop.

http://image.allmusic.com/00/avg/cov200/drv300/v356/v35651peffb.jpg

Nugget
02-17-2010, 02:49 PM
And how could I have forgotten "Shanghai Noon".

Jack Burton
02-17-2010, 05:53 PM
How 'bout that Claudia Cardinale?

GAC
02-18-2010, 04:09 AM
How 'bout that Claudia Cardinale?

She was a hottie in Leone's Once Upon A Time In The West.

So was Ann Margret in The Train Robbers with John Wayne. :D