PDA

View Full Version : Build the rosters of each affiliate

David Cubbedge
02-08-2010, 07:59 PM
Just taking a look at our roster, and the potential of youth coming up. So how about a depth chart?

I am going to be very wrong on some of this, so with all your expertise, let's try and get this thing corrected to as close as possible.

Here is my best shot at it. Please help me fill the holes and fix this thing.

Cincinnati:

Lineup (not my lineup, but Dusty's)
CF Stubbs
SS Cabrera
1B Votto
2B Phillips
3B Rolen
RF Bruce
C Hernandez
LF Dickerson

Bench
C Hanigan
IF Janish
OF Nix
IF/OF Miles
OF Balentein

Rotation
SP Harang
SP Arroyo
SP Cueto
SP Bailey
SP Wood

Bullpen
LR Owings
MR Rhodes
MR Burton
MR Herrerra
MR Lincoln
SU Massett
CL Cordero

Louisville:

Lineup
SS Cozart
2B Valaika
3B Frazier
LF Francisco
1B Alonso
CF Heisey
RF Dorn
C Miller

Bench
C ???
IF Sutton
OF Anderson
IF/OF Cairo
OF ???

Rotation
SP Maloney
SP Lehr
SP Klinker
SP Lecure
SP Buck

Bullpen
LR Avery
MR Fisher
MR Del Rosario
MR Reinecke
MR ???
SU Viola
CL Ondrusek

Carolina:

Lineup (just putting starters up by position)
C Mesoraco
1B Parker
2B Buchholz
3B Eymann
SS Gregorious
LF Puckett
CF Fellhauer
RF Henry

Bench
C Denove
IF Negron
OF Reed
IF ???
IF/OF ???

Rotation
SP Chapman
SP Smith
SP Carroll
SP Ravin
SP Webb

Bullpen
LR Smit
MR Thurman
MR Talbor
MR Gonzalez
MR Horst
SU Watson
CL Valiquette

Lynchburgh:

C Soto
1B Bankston
2B Kuo
3B ???
SS Rojas
LF Wiley
CF Silva
RF Phipps

Bench
C Coddington
OF Means
IF ???
IF/OF ???
IF/OF ???

Rotation
SP Leake
SP Boxberger
SP Sulbaran
SP Serrano
SP Fairel

Bullpen
LR ???
MR Krebs
MR Corcino
MR Hotchkiss
MR ???
SU Pearl
CL Joseph

Dayton:

C Barnhart
1B ???
2B H. Rodriguez
3B ???
SS Hamilton
LF ???
CF Y. Rodriguez
RF Duran

Bench
C Fleury
???

Rotation
SP Lotzkar
SP Johnson
SP Hildebrandt
SP Infante
SP Cline

Benihana
02-08-2010, 08:33 PM
Rather than list lineups and reserves for the minor league affiliates (too unpredictable), I'll just go something like this:

Cincinnati (would be my lineup, not Dusty's):

CF Stubbs
SS Cabrera
1B Votto
3B Rolen
RF Bruce
2B Phillips
LF Balentien/Dickerson
C Hernandez

SP Arroyo
SP Harang
SP Cueto
SP Bailey
SP Maloney
CL Cordero

Louisville

Notable Hitters:

CF Heisey
1B Alonso
3B Frazier (might play him at 2B)
LF Francisco
RF Dorn
SS Cozart
2B Valaika (might play him at 3B)

SP Wood
SP Klinker
SP Lecure
SP Smith
SP Avery
CL Ondrusek

Carolina

Notable Hitters:

RF Sappelt
2B/LF Puckett
2B Buchholz
CF Reed
SS Gregorious/Negron

SP Chapman (should be in Louisville by June)
SP Leake (could be in Louisville by ASB)
SP Fairel
SP Carroll
SP Horst/Webb (will move into rotation once Chapman or Leake promoted)
CL Joseph

Lynchburg

Notable Hitters:

CF/RF Fellhauer
CF/RF Means
LF Wiley
SS Rojas
C Mesoraco/Coddington (play D-Mes behind the plate 5 days a week and DH Coddington)

SP Boxberger
SP Sulbaran
SP Serrano
SP Ravin

Dayton

Notable Hitters:

C Soto
CF Y.Rodriguez
RF Silva
SS Hamilton
2B H.Rodriguez

SP Lotzkar
SP Cline
SP Hildenbrandt
SP H.Johnson

Rooke Leaguers to watch (Billings or GCL):

RF Duran
SS/2B/CF Arias
SS Valor
C Barnhardt
LHP Guillon
RHP Tuttle

camisadelgolf
02-08-2010, 09:44 PM
Craig Tatum was claimed on waivers by Baltimore.

And what's up with Jukich in A+? He was taken by the Cardinals in the rule five draft, and if he were returned, he would go to AAA.

David Cubbedge
02-08-2010, 10:18 PM
Thanks guys, as I said, there will be plenty of mistakes. Fixing now...thanks!

tripleaaaron
02-09-2010, 01:54 AM
If Reinecke is Josh Roenicke, he is no longer with the Reds, was traded to Toronto in the Rolen trade.

TRF
02-09-2010, 09:21 AM
I'd definitely put Heisey at CF in Louisville. I think that is his future.

Farnsie
02-09-2010, 10:22 AM
If Reinecke is Josh Roenicke, he is no longer with the Reds, was traded to Toronto in the Rolen trade.

Chad Reineke signed a minor league contract with the Bats on 22nd Dec.

redsof72
02-09-2010, 11:08 AM
My best guess pending spring injuries and various positional battles:

Cincinnati:

CF Stubbs
SS Cabrera
1B Votto
2B Phillips
3B Rolen
RF Bruce
C Hernandez
LF Dickerson (I still think Gomes returns)

Bench
C Hanigan
IF Janish
OF Nix
IF Miles
OF Balentein

Rotation
SP Harang
SP Arroyo
SP Cueto
SP Bailey
SP Maloney

Bullpen
LR Owings
MR Rhodes
MR Burton
MR Herrerra
MR Fisher
SU Massett
CL Cordero

Louisville:

Lineup
C Miller
1B Alonso
2B Valaika
3B Francisco
SS Cozart
LF Frazier
CF Heisey
RF Anderson

Bench
C/UT Castillo
C Yarbrough
IF Sutton
IF Burke
OF Dorn
OF West

Rotation
SP Wood
SP Lehr
SP Klinker
SP Lecure
SP J. Smith or Jukich (returned)

Bullpen
Bray
Del Rosario
Viola
Ondrusek
Adkins
Tabor
Reineke/Baez

Carolina:

C Denove
1B Parker
2B Griffin
3B Eymann
SS Negron
LF Henry
CF Sappelt
RF Danielson

Bench
Bour
Castro
Kahaulelio
Chapman
Kainer

Rotation
SP Chapman
SP Buck
SP Carroll
SP Horst
SP Webb

Bullpen
Krebs
Smit
Geronimo
Watson
Valiquette
Avery
Lutz
Medina
Montano
Ward

Lynchburg:

C Coddington/Mesoraco
1B Mendez
2B Puckett/Buchholz
3B Soto
SS Rojas
LF Wiley
CF Fellhauer
RF Phipps

Bench
Reed
Day
Feiner
Long

Rotation
SP Leake
SP Serrano
SP Fairel
SP Janke
SP Ravin

Bullpen (7 from among this group):
Thurman (first pitcher promoted)
Boxberger
Gonzalez
Partch
Bowman
Bohana
Gaffney
Beal
Freeman
Otterness

Dayton:

C Fleury
1B Richburg
2B Carlson
3B H. Rodriguez/Gualdron
SS Gregorius
LF Oliveras
CF Means
RF Contreras

Bench
McMurray
Wideman/Weems
Nurre
Kuo
Pfister
Brown
Satterwhite

Rotation
Sulbaran
Villarreal
Cline
Crabbe
Christiani

Bullpen (7 from among)

Joseph
Infante
Hotchkiss
Pearl
Walczak
Salinas
Santana
Walker
Ware
Castro
Martinez
Konstanty

Extended or could make Dayton team

OF Y. Rodriguez
SP Tuttle
SP Johnson

Dayton or continue rehab

SP Lotzkar
SP Shunick
SP Hildenbrandt

Who am I leaving out???

OnBaseMachine
02-09-2010, 11:14 AM
The Reds have already said Mike Leake will most likely begin the season in Carolina.

Scrap Irony
02-09-2010, 11:38 AM
The AAA RiverBat roster may be better than Kansas City's, top to bottom. Starting pitchers are outstanding (they're all major league caliber-- if not ace material). The outfield has a chance to outproduce their major league counterparts. And the infield has two MLB Top 50 top prospects, two solid top 15 prospects for the team, and at least one probable former major leaguer as a back-up. There is legitimate help at every position on the team.

And as to AA, as good as Louisville is, Carolina has a chance to be that bad. Depending on Soto's movement, there may not be a prospect on the offensive side of the ball.

mace
02-09-2010, 11:48 AM
72--a few questions. Who's West? Who's Danielson? Did you leave out Cairo or just figure they won't keep both him and Burke? Have you heard they're putting Partch in the bullpen or do you just think there's not room for him in the rotation? Same with Infante. And are they committed to trying Konstanty as a pitcher? Thanks.

camisadelgolf
02-09-2010, 12:18 PM
redsof72, I could be wrong, but I don't think Bill Bray has any options left. I don't know if the Reds could outright him without another team picking him up.

redsof72
02-09-2010, 12:40 PM
You may be correct on Bray. Good call. If he is out of options, healthy, and throwing well in March, I would probably move him to the big league list and move Fisher to Louisville.

Kevin West, signed as a free agent. Kind of a version of Kevin Barker.

Link to career stats:

http://stats.howesportsdata.com/howesportsdata/stats/baseball/career/released/West,KevinCurtis.txt

Sean Danielson, signed as a free agent, fills the role that Cumberland filled last year.

Link to his career stats:

http://stats.howesportsdata.com/howesportsdata/stats/baseball/career/bostonredsox/Danielson,SeanP..txt

This is all guesswork. Cairo...hard for me to see him sitting on a Triple-A bench. If you are a veteran infielder, Louisville is not the team you want to be with right now. Partch...I could see him remaining as a starter if there is room but on that list, there is not room unless they put Janke in the pen or send Ravin back to Dayton. Infante...not sure. Could fill either role. Guys like Infante often start seasons in the bullpen because they will target higher profile prospects for the starting jobs to get innings. Then when the need arises for a starter later in the season, those kind of guys are there...Konstanty, as far as I know, will be a pitcher in spring training.

camisadelgolf
02-09-2010, 01:12 PM
Who in the Reds organization had his mother punched by Sean Henry? His numbers are always solid, so why would the Reds stick him at AA for the fourth consecutive years? Personally, I've seen the guy play a number of times and would be very tempted to call him a non-prospect, but I find it hard to justify keeping a guy down those kinds of numbers.

Benihana
02-09-2010, 01:16 PM
I'd like to see Hamilton and Yorman get a shot in Dayton. I also think Soto should be behind the plate there to start the year.

Also, is Boxberger going to begin as a starter or reliever? Either way, I'd imagine he should start in Lynchburg.

OnBaseMachine
02-09-2010, 01:32 PM
According to Mark Sheldon, Bill Bray still has options remaining.

Out of options

In case you were wondering, the following Reds players head into 2010 Spring Training out of options:

RHP Bronson Arroyo, RHP Homer Bailey, IF/OF Wladimir Balentien, RHP Francisco Cordero, RHP Mike Lincoln and RHP Nick Masset.

http://marksheldon.mlblogs.com/

camisadelgolf
02-09-2010, 01:52 PM
Hmmm . . . here's what I know about Bray's transactions:

April 5, 2009 - Optioned to Louisville (AAA).
May 9, 2008 - Recalled from Louisville (AAA).
May 5, 2008 - Optioned to Louisville (AAA).
April 28, 2008 - Recalled from Louisville (AAA).
March 28, 2008 - Optioned to Louisville (AAA).
August 11, 2007 - Recalled from Louisville (AAA).
July 20, 2007 - Missed 96 games on the DL (left index finger) and optioned to Louisville.
May 31, 2006 - Contract purchased from New Orleans (AAA)

TRF
02-09-2010, 02:25 PM
the options in 2008 count only once i believe.

redsof72
02-09-2010, 02:27 PM
Camisadelgolf, as strongly as you feel about Sean Henry, imagined how strongly HE feels about the same thing. Maybe he makes the Triple-A bench. One thing working against him a little is that they don't have enought outfielders in Double-A. Maybe they send Kevin West to Carolina and keep Henry in Louisville. The first time I saw Henry, I was surprised by how small he was. Built like a Lance Johnson but unfortunately without the speed. I would like to see him get a chance in Triple-A too.

Mike Griffin and Eric Eymann are in kind of the same position as Henry, guys who I am sure believe they have nothing to prove going back to Double-A, but might have to go back anyway. You could see a trade with a guy like that if they find another org that needs depth in Triple-A and has an abundance of players at a position where the Reds have a hole.

No way do I see Hamilton in Dayton. He hit .205 in the GCL. Hopefully he hits .260 in Billings. Gregorius will be the Dayton shortstop. Boxberger may make some starts to get innings. Longterm, he is a reliever most likely.

redsof72
02-09-2010, 04:37 PM
For those who like to follow the rosters during the season, one big change you will see this year:

For the past several years, if the high-A club in Sarasota needed a player for a couple of weeks or less, they would just bring someone over from the minor league complex (extended spring guys in the first half, GCL guys in the second half). It saved the cost of a plane ticket and saved a player the trouble of having to pack up and move to a new city, find a new place to live, etc. Therefore, you saw Gregorius in high-A, Puckett in high-A in '08, and countless other examples of this happening.

That obviously will change in 2010 and beyond. The extended spring guys and the AZL guys (who replaced the GCL) are now a long way from any of the affiliates. There would be nothing to gain by moving those guys up for short term needs.

Adjustments will have to be made. You may not see as many moves, period. You probably will see each club carry a player on the phantom DL who can be activated immediately if a need arises. You may see some teams have to play a little short-handed for a few days in some cases. Players may have to play positions for a few games that they might not have been asked to play in past years. In short, it will not be as easy to make short-term changes if a pitcher has to miss a start or a position player has to miss a week or so. If Lynchburg needs a player, he will not be walking over from the other side of the property. It probably will result in some tougher decisions for the farm director on when to make changes, which players to leave where they are, and which players to put on a plane.

Long-term changes should not be affected.

thorn
02-09-2010, 04:54 PM
Which begs the questions, do you see the club moving any of their minor league affiliates to AZ anytime soon, particularly Lynchburg or is that a permanent situation?

dougdirt
02-09-2010, 05:29 PM
Which begs the questions, do you see the club moving any of their minor league affiliates to AZ anytime soon, particularly Lynchburg or is that a permanent situation?

The high A team will not be going to Arizona because there isn't a league there for High A. It will have to be in the Florida State League, Carolina League (where they are now) or the California League.

The rookie level team (not Billings) will play in the Arizona League this season.

redsof72
02-09-2010, 09:19 PM
I put my list together without giving it too much thought and it does not seem to let me go back and edit it but yes, Leake should be in the Carolina rotation, bumping Webb to the bullpen or back to Lynchburg. Boxberger should be a starter with Lynchburg, not a reliever.

The whole thing is just a guess of course. I would imagine that for each club, there are 15-18 players locked in and the other roster spots will be decided based on spring training, injuries, and related trickle down based on what Dusty does with the big club. We don't know who the 15-18 are and we sure don't know the rest.

redsof72
02-09-2010, 09:28 PM
Chapman, as some may know, is living in Florida with Dayton pitching coach Tony Fossas, a native of Cuba, and Fossas is a good person to put into a mentor role for a Spanish speaking player. No one has any idea what to expect from Chapman. He could make the big league club. He could go to spring training and start throwing like Nuke Laloosh before Crash Davis got to town. His performance will dictate his assignment. The Fossas connection leads to speculation that Chapman could start the year by making a couple of starts with Dayton to get his feet wet. On the other hand, they could just as easily just send Fossas to Carolina to stay with Chapman (ala Johnny Narron-Josh Hamilton) and send a different pitching coach to Dayton, like Bob Forsch. It will be interesting to watch.

lollipopcurve
02-10-2010, 07:14 AM
Almost completely ignored has been the hires of former big leaguers David Bell, Tony Fossas, Bob Forsch and Delino DeShields by the Jocketty FO. There may be others. I like these moves. Ex big leaguers, so long as they're quality role models, will get the attention of kids trying to make it.

camisadelgolf
02-10-2010, 10:39 AM
Here's a stab at it. I haven't made any corrections to it in a while, but this is about as close as I can get right now.

Pos MLB AAA AA A+ A Rk AZL
C Ramon Hernandez Corky Miller Devin Mesoraco KevinCoddington Mark Fleury Trey Manz Tucker Barnhart
1B Joey Votto Yonder Alonso Logan Parker Kyle Day Chris Richburg Tom Nurre Derrick Lowery
2B BrandonPhillips Chris Valaika Jake Kahaulelio Alex Buchholz Yen-Wen Kuo Henry Rodriguez Mauricio Pimentel
3B Scott Rolen Todd Frazier Eric Eymann Nefi Soto Carlos Mendez Oliver Santos Cristobal Rodriguez
SS Orlando Cabrera Zack Cozart Kris Negron Miguel Rojas Didi Gregorius BillyHamilton Junior Arias
LF WladimirBalentenJuan Francisco Sean Danielson Byron Wiley Sean Conner EfrainContreras Theo Bowe
CF Drew Stubbs Chris Heisey Dave Sappelt Josh Fellhauer Alex Oliveras YormanRodriguez Juan Silva
RF Jay Bruce Danny Dorn Sean Henry Justin Reed Andrew Means Carter Morrison Juan Duran
C Ryan Hanigan BrandonYarbroughJason Bour Chris McMurray Jordan Wideman Danny Vicioso Yovan Gonzalez
C Chris Denove Chase Weems
C
1B Kevin West Donald Lutz Dave Stewart
2B Aaron Miles Miguel Cairo Jose Castro Jose Gualdron John Dao Jefry Sierra
3B Cody Puckett Frank Pfister Will Stramp
SS Paul Janish Chris Burke Shane Carlson
OF Chris Dickerson Laynce Nix Denis Phipps Albert Laboy Tony Brown Josh Garton Dayne Read
OF Luis Terrero Carson Kainer Stephen Chapman
OF Josh Anderson
UT Drew Sutton Wilkin Castillo Mike Griffin Kevyn Feiner Ryan Doran
SP Aaron Harang Daryl Thompson Mike Leake Matt Fairel Kyle Lotzkar Harold Johnson Jesus Adames
SP Bronson Arroyo Travis Wood Aroldis Chapman Mark Serrano J.C. Sulbaran Daniel Tuttle Mike Henry
SP Johnny Cueto Sam LeCure Jeremy Horst Lance Janke EvanHildenbrandtBlair Carson Ricky Bowen
SP Homer Bailey Matt Klinker Dallas Buck Travis Webb Oscar Castro Tim Crabbe Nick Christiani
SP Matt Maloney Justin Lehr Scott Carroll Josh Ravin Tyler Cline Luca Panerati Jake Wiley
SP Edinson Volquez*Jordan Smith James Avery Curtis Partch Tzu-Kai Chiu Chase Ware Adian Kummet
RP FranciscoCorderoPedro Viola Sean Watson Mace Thurman Brad Boxberger Brian Pearl Jamie Walczak
RP Nick Masset EnerioDelRosarioRuben Medina JordanHotchkiss PedroVillarreal Nate Driessen Jason Braun
RP Jared Burton Logan Ondrusek Ramon Geronimo Aguido Gonzalez Doug Salinas Marcos Molina Forest Cannon
RP Micah Owings Carlos Fisher Phil Valiquette Scott Gaffney Justin Freeman Junior Martinez Mike Konstanty
RP Arthur Rhodes Lee Tabor Derrik Lutz Drew Bowman Mike Bohana MatteoPizziconi Po-Cheng Chi
RP DanielRayHerreraJoe Krebs Terrell Young Donnie Joseph EzequielInfante Mitch Clarke Arshwin Asjes
RP Mike Lincoln Bill Bray Misael DeJesus Jeff Jeffords Josh Beal Stephen Smith
RP Ben Jukich# Federico Baez Luis Montano Steve Otterness Hector Santana Raul Rodriguez
RP Chad Reineke Tom Cochran Justin Walker
RP Jesus Delgado Alex Smit
RP Jon Adkins
RP Jose Arredondo*

Mario-Rijo
02-10-2010, 11:26 AM
I put my list together without giving it too much thought and it does not seem to let me go back and edit it but yes, Leake should be in the Carolina rotation, bumping Webb to the bullpen or back to Lynchburg. Boxberger should be a starter with Lynchburg, not a reliever.

The whole thing is just a guess of course. I would imagine that for each club, there are 15-18 players locked in and the other roster spots will be decided based on spring training, injuries, and related trickle down based on what Dusty does with the big club. We don't know who the 15-18 are and we sure don't know the rest.

While that last part may be true and we all know someone almost always lands somewhere unexpectedly every year I think yours is about how the majority would see it (with the Leake/Boxberger corrections).

Mario-Rijo
02-10-2010, 11:44 AM
Cam you missed Danny Ray Herrera.

mace
02-10-2010, 12:00 PM
Nice work, golf. Those pitching staffs seem especially impressive, although, through injuries, they're almost never what they promise to be. In particular, I have doubts that the Dayton rotation will materialize as it appears it could. Lotzkar and Hildrenbrandt are of course coming off injuries, so I suppose there's no telling when they'll be available. I'd be surprised to see Cline start out there, but I guess it's conceivable.

We're all aware of the depth at shortstop, but the string of center fielders stands out as well. There's not a non-prospect in the bunch.

It's hard to imagine the rookie-through-AA teams being as non-competitive as they were last year.

camisadelgolf
02-10-2010, 12:01 PM
Cam you missed Danny Ray Herrera.
Thanks. I meant to put him up with the Reds when I heard that Bray had an option left.

11larkin11
02-10-2010, 02:14 PM
I personally hope Denove takes some starts away form Corky down at AAA. He showed some nice potential with the bat last year.

Benihana
02-10-2010, 02:18 PM
If there is any area of concern, one thing that seems to stick out to me is the lack of hitting prospects from Dayton through Carolina.

Sure Rojas has a good glove, and guys like Wiley and Coddington have outperformed their expectations. But realistically, other than Fellhauer, Soto and Mesoraco- all of which have huge question marks of their own- there is not a single real hitting prospect in the bunch. Not one player who you could say with any degree of confidence will have a real major league career. That concerns me.

Still though, the organization is in a MUCH better place than its been in years- especially considering the pitching, which looks pretty strong across the organization.

dougdirt
02-10-2010, 02:19 PM
If there is any area of concern, one thing that seems to stick out to me is the lack of hitting prospects from Dayton through Carolina.

Sure Rojas has a good glove, and guys like Wiley and Coddington have outperformed their expectations. But realistically, other than Fellhauer, Soto and Mesoraco- all of which have huge question marks of their own- there is not a single real hitting prospect in the bunch. That concerns me.

Still though, the organization is in a MUCH better place than its been in years- especially considering the pitching, which looks pretty strong across the organization.

Are you counting the guys who will be in Dayton this year?

Benihana
02-10-2010, 02:24 PM
Are you counting the guys who will be in Dayton this year?

Depends if a guy like Yorman Rodriguez will be in Dayton. I hope he will, but everyone else's projections seem to think he won't.

TRF
02-10-2010, 02:25 PM

Sure Rojas has a good glove, and guys like Wiley and Coddington have outperformed their expectations. But realistically, other than Fellhauer, Soto and Mesoraco- all of which have huge question marks of their own- there is not a single real hitting prospect in the bunch. That concerns me.

That actually doesn't concern me as much given the relative youth of the MLB team, and the fact that almost every position at AAA has a legit prospect. The two rookie teams plus whoever graduates to Dayton is where the wave of talent following the Reds/Bats roster will come from. And it's an interesting, athletic bunch.Right now at High A/AA I want to see the pitching flourish. Some bats would be nice too, but the pitching AT THIS POINT is what is important.

nemesis
02-10-2010, 02:26 PM
If I remember correctly each Affiliates roster only has 24 players...

So mine is based on those constraints...

Reds

1B Votto*
2B Phillips
3B Rolen
SS Caberera
LF Balentien
CF Stubbs
RF Bruce*
C Hernandez

OF Nix*
OF Dickerson*
IF Janish
UT Miles
C Hanigan

SP Harang
SP Arroyo
SP Cueto
SP Bailey
SP Owings

LR Lincoln
LR Herrera*
MR Burton
MR Fisher
MR Rhodes*
SU Massett
CL Cordero

AAA

1B Alonso*
2B Valakia
3B Francisco*
SS Cozart
LF Frazier
CF Heisey
RF Dorn*
C Denove

IF Cairo
UT Sutton#
OF Anderson
C Miller

SP Maloney*
SP Lehr
SP Wood*
SP Lecure
SP Klinker

LR Thompson
LR Cochran*
MR Del Rosario
MR Bray*
MR Viola*
SU Ondrusek
CL Adkins

AA

1B Parker*
2B Kahaulelio
3B Negron#
SS Castro
LF Henry
CF Sapplett
RF Dainelson
C Castillo#

C Yarbrough*
IF Eymann
OF Kainer
UT Griffin

SP Smith
SP Leake
SP Chapman*
SP Buck
SP Smit*

LR Avery
LR Tabor*
MR Krebs*
MR Valiquette*
MR Thurman*
MR Watson
CL Young

A+

1B Mendez
2B Buchholtz
3B Soto
SS Rojas
LF Wiley*
CF Reed*
RF Fellhauser*
C Mesorasco

IF Puckett
C Coddington
OF Phipps
DH Day*

SP Horst*
SP Carroll
SP Fairel*
SP Partch
SP Janke

LR Serrano
LR Freeman
MR Salinas
MR Gaffney
MR Gonzalez*
SU Beal
CL Joesph*

A-

1B Konstany
2B Kuo*
3B Rodriguez#
SS Gregorious*
LF Oliveras*
CF Means
RF Conteras
C Manz*

C Fleury*
OF Conner*
OF Brown*
IF Gualdron

SP Sulbaran
SP Ravin
SP Boxberger
SP Villrreal
SP Walker*

LR Infante*
LR Ware
MR Santana
MR Kummett
MR Panerati*
SU Molina
CL Pearl

Billings

1B Richburg
2B Pimental#
3B Stramp
SS Hamilton#
LF Silva*
CF Rodriguez
RF Bowe*
C Vicious

UT Barnhardt
C Wideman
OF Garton*
IF Sierra

SP Hildenbrandt
SP Cline
SP Tuttle
SP Johnson
SP Chiu*

LR Adames
LR Driessen*
MR Cannon
MR Clarke
MR Wiley
SU Walczak
CL Corcino

AZL

1B Stewart
1B Lutz*
3B C. Rodriguez
RF Duran
OF Morrison
C Y. Gonzalez

DSL Candidates for AZL

SS Arias

SS Valor

C Y. Lopez .351 OBP as a 16 year old .667 OPS

IF Chacoa# - Gotta give him a US look eventually

1B Sanchez* 26 XBH outta 46 total Lead team with 17 2B 4 3B 2nd with 5 HR .437 SLG
K rate was low at 16.2% BB rate was a decent 8.9%

3B Baez - I really like this kid. Only 19.
Big time Sleeper.
Over last 2 months line was:
.287/.368/.463/.831 OPS Over 97 AB's with 10 BB and 14K's

OF Moreno .391/.367/.758 Line at 17... low K rate 14.4% High BB rate at 13.4%

SP Correja
SP Gullion
SP Marizan*
SP Morillo*
SP Quezada

Extended Spring Training (Injury Rehab/Reinforcements)

SP Shucnick
SP Lotzkar
SP Carson
SP Crabbe
SP Castro

RP Lutz
RP J. Martinez*
RP Braun
RP Pizziconi*
RP R. Rodriguez

No idea where to put em...
(fighting for a job)

1B Nurre
2B Feiner
IF Burke
3B Pfister
SS Carson
OF West
OF Terrero
OF LaBoy
OF Chapman
C Bour
C Long
C McMurray
C Weems*

SP Reineke
SP Webb*
SP Montano
SP Guerrero

RP DeJesus
RP Medina
RP Gil
RP Ward*
RP Delgado
RP Baez
RP Geronimo
RP Otterness
RP Pawelek*
RP Asjes
RP Bohana
RP Bowman*
RP Henry
RP Gardner

Benihana
02-10-2010, 02:27 PM
That actually doesn't concern me as much given the relative youth of the MLB team, and the fact that almost every position at AAA has a legit prospect. The two rookie teams plus whoever graduates to Dayton is where the wave of talent following the Reds/Bats roster will come from. And it's an interesting, athletic bunch.Right now at High A/AA I want to see the pitching flourish. Some bats would be nice too, but the pitching AT THIS POINT is what is important.

Very true.

However if you wanted to critique any part of the minor league organization, that is the biggest area of weakness that I would highlight. I do agree that it is not as much of a concern given we have at least one very good player/prospect under 25 at almost every relevant position (aside from C, 2B and maybe SS).

dougdirt
02-10-2010, 03:10 PM
Depends if a guy like Yorman Rodriguez will be in Dayton. I hope he will, but everyone else's projections seem to think he won't.

I don't think he will, I just wasn't sure if you were including guys like Gregorius, H Rodriguez, Fleury and the likes in the Dayton group.

Mario-Rijo
02-10-2010, 03:20 PM
Very true.

However if you wanted to critique any part of the minor league organization, that is the biggest area of weakness that I would highlight. I do agree that it is not as much of a concern given we have at least one very good player/prospect under 25 at almost every relevant position (aside from C, 2B and maybe SS).

Not a fan of Cozart, Valaika or the handful of catchers we have? I have always maintained that Valaika could be a decent 2B in the pros. But after having watched some recent footage of Valaika I am not sure that is going to happen he has gotten thicker and IMO slower footed. He probably will end up that UT IF that he was 1st reported to be when he was drafted. He could play 3B but I doubt his bat would play there enough to consider him an everyday player, but stranger things have happened.

Benihana
02-10-2010, 04:18 PM
Not a fan of Cozart, Valaika or the handful of catchers we have? I have always maintained that Valaika could be a decent 2B in the pros. But after having watched some recent footage of Valaika I am not sure that is going to happen he has gotten thicker and IMO slower footed. He probably will end up that UT IF that he was 1st reported to be when he was drafted. He could play 3B but I doubt his bat would play there enough to consider him an everyday player, but stranger things have happened.

I agree with your most recent assessment of Valaika- he looks like a utility guy to me. Cozart has the potential to be a starter if he continues to improve with the stick- that is why I said "maybe SS."

At this point, there is no catcher in the organization that appears to be a serious prospect. Coddington has outperformed so far, and Mesoraco can show flashes of potential, but there still is no one who I could confidently say is a significant part of the future at this point. If Mesoraco holds his own in AA this season (if he makes it that far), that may change. By holding his own, I'd like to see an OPS > .750, not "improved peripherals" with a poor slash line. Conversely if either guy can maintain an OPS well over .800 in Lynchburg, I'd be fine with that too- assuming they continue to improve defensively.

redsof72
02-10-2010, 05:44 PM
Nice effort Nemesis. You remembered Terrell Young, whom many of us had slipped on. One note though: Konstanty is now a pitcher. Rosters are 24 in Triple-A and Double-A for the first 30 days, then they are 23. They are 25 all year in Single-A.

Another guy we are leaving out is Jeff Jeffords, who showed some promise in 08 and has a good arm but missed 09 with an injury.

I am going to post the entire list of farm system players in a new thread.

camisadelgolf
02-10-2010, 06:53 PM
I remembered all those guys. :cool:

nemesis
02-11-2010, 09:54 AM
Nice effort Nemesis. You remembered Terrell Young, whom many of us had slipped on. One note though: Konstanty is now a pitcher. Rosters are 24 in Triple-A and Double-A for the first 30 days, then they are 23. They are 25 all year in Single-A.

Another guy we are leaving out is Jeff Jeffords, who showed some promise in 08 and has a good arm but missed 09 with an injury.

I am going to post the entire list of farm system players in a new thread.

Thank You 72.

I also forgot Read the CFer who signed late and should be in AZL and did the Reds ever sign Christiani (sp?) out of Vandy?

dougdirt
02-11-2010, 11:29 AM
Thank You 72.

I also forgot Read the CFer who signed late and should be in AZL and did the Reds ever sign Christiani (sp?) out of Vandy?

The Reds did sign Chrstiani.

Kingspoint
02-24-2010, 07:50 AM
The schedule works out perfectly for the REDS to have a 4-man rotation until May 19th.

The first time a 5th starter is needed is April 14th.

The second time a 5th starter is needed is April 24th.

The third time a 5th starter is needed is May 4th.

The fourth time a 5th starter is needed is May 19th.

The fifth time a 5th starter is needed is May 24th.

That knowledge changes the whole dynamics of the Opening Day Roster. The REDS can have an extra bat (14 hitters and 10 pitchers), which is great.

Assuming the health to be good for everyone, we'll have:

Arroyo
Harang
Cueto
Bailey

....as our 4 starters through May 18th, with only 3 starts needed before that by a pitcher other than them. Sounds like the perfect job for Micah Owings, who would get those 3 starts, then a 4th start on May 19th if he'd earned it by his showings in his first three starts. If not a 5th starter can be brought up May 19th, or wait until May 24th. One of the pitchers who has been pitching in AAA could get the call up with one of the AA pitchers taking his place (or the "6th" Starter who wasn't ready by the 2nd Week of April).

I don't think the REDS want any of those guys listed in my AAA "starters" coming out of the bullpen while waiting to start games on those dates from above.

It's possible that the REDS go straight to a 5-man rotation out of Spring Training and let every one pitch every 6th day instead of every 5th day until May 19th. One reason to do that is because the REDS have too many pitchers who should be pitching at the AA and AAA level. The easiest way to solve this problem though is to assume that 20% of the staff isn't going to be ready on Opening Day and will need extended Spring Training. Only those who are truly ready will get to pitch at the start of April.

Anyone else, and the REDS are going to want to have them pitching every day.

So, to begin with the AAA starters should look like (among these 6 assuming one won't be healthy enough to be ready the 2nd Week of April):

Wood
Maloney
Lehr
LeCure
Cochran
Thompson

The AA starters should look like this (among these 7 assuming two won't be healthy enough to start or be ready the 2nd Week of April):

Chapman
Smit
Mallett
Klinker
Avery
Jordan Smith
Leake

As soon as May 24th arrives, or Owings proves he's not up to the task, there will be a trickle-up effect that clears up the logjam of pitchers.

You can't have too much pitching, so this is a very, very good thing.

I haven't seen this much "decent" pitching in the REDS' organization since I've been alive to notice (I've been noticing for about 38 years since I was 12 and had access to libraries and The Sporting News and Baseball Digest.).

Kc61
02-24-2010, 10:29 AM
The schedule works out perfectly for the REDS to have a 4-man rotation until May 19th.

The first time a 5th starter is needed is April 14th.

The second time a 5th starter is needed is April 24th.

The third time a 5th starter is needed is May 4th.

The fourth time a 5th starter is needed is May 19th.

The fifth time a 5th starter is needed is May 24th.

That knowledge changes the whole dynamics of the Opening Day Roster. The REDS can have an extra bat (14 hitters and 10 pitchers), which is great.

.).

I'm sure you are correct, but I can't figure this out.

The Reds play from April 7 to April 18 with no off day. Won't they need a fifth starter twice in that period?

My quick look tells me they will need a fifth starter five times through May 11.

I'm probably missing something, please explain. Thanks.

Kingspoint
02-24-2010, 05:11 PM
I'm sure you are correct, but I can't figure this out.

The Reds play from April 7 to April 18 with no off day. Won't they need a fifth starter twice in that period?

My quick look tells me they will need a fifth starter five times through May 11.

I'm probably missing something, please explain. Thanks.

That whole post I made is meaningless. I miscalculated it.

In the perfect scenario with no rainouts the 5th Starter would have 6 starts by May 22nd compared to 10 for the #1 (Arroyo), 10 for the #2 (Harang), 9 for the #3 (Cueto), and 8 for the #4, if I was trying to keep the "best" pitchers on 5 days rotations.

4/05 Arroyo
4/06 Off Day
4/07 Harang
4/08 Cueto
4/09 Bailey
4/10 Arroyo
4/11 5th Starter
4/12 Harang
4/13 Cueto
4/14 Bailey
4/15 Arroyo
4/16 5th Starter
4/17 Harang
4/18 Cueto
4/19 Off Day
4/20 Arroyo
4/21 Bailey
4/22 Harang
4/23 Cueto
4/24 5th Starter
4/25 Arroyo
4/26 Off Day
4/27 Harang
4/28 Cueto
4/29 Bailey
4/30 Arroyo
5/01 5th Starter
5/02 Harang
5/03 Cueto
5/04 Bailey
5/05 Arroyo
5/06 Off Day
5/07 Harang
5/08 Cueto
5/09 Bailey
5/10 Arroyo
5/11 5th Starter
5/12 Harang
5/13 Off Day
5/14 Cueto
5/15 Arroyo
5/16 Bailey
5/17 Harang
5/18 5th Starter
5/19 Cueto
5/20 Arroyo
5/21 Bailey
5/22 Harang
5/23 ....and so on...

Of course, 1 Rain Out and everything changes. Trying to predict any scenario is fruitless.

Guess we do need a 5th Starter right out of the gate. I'm guessing that the 5th Starter will be between who pitches best in Spring Training among Owings, Wood, Maloney and Lehr. I can't see anyone else even being considered. I'll put my hat in the Owings ring...that he'll pitch the best this Spring.

mth123
02-24-2010, 05:45 PM
That whole post I made is meaningless. I miscalculated it.

In the perfect scenario with no rainouts the 5th Starter would have 6 starts by May 22nd compared to 10 for the #1 (Arroyo), 10 for the #2 (Harang), 9 for the #3 (Cueto), and 8 for the #4, if I was trying to keep the "best" pitchers on 5 days rotations.

4/05 Arroyo
4/06 Off Day
4/07 Harang
4/08 Cueto
4/09 Bailey
4/10 Arroyo
4/11 5th Starter
4/12 Harang
4/13 Cueto
4/14 Bailey
4/15 Arroyo
4/16 5th Starter
4/17 Harang
4/18 Cueto
4/19 Off Day
4/20 Arroyo
4/21 Bailey
4/22 Harang
4/23 Cueto
4/24 5th Starter
4/25 Arroyo
4/26 Off Day
4/27 Harang
4/28 Cueto
4/29 Bailey
4/30 Arroyo
5/01 5th Starter
5/02 Harang
5/03 Cueto
5/04 Bailey
5/05 Arroyo
5/06 Off Day
5/07 Harang
5/08 Cueto
5/09 Bailey
5/10 Arroyo
5/11 5th Starter
5/12 Harang
5/13 Off Day
5/14 Cueto
5/15 Arroyo
5/16 Bailey
5/17 Harang
5/18 5th Starter
5/19 Cueto
5/20 Arroyo
5/21 Bailey
5/22 Harang
5/23 ....and so on...

Of course, 1 Rain Out and everything changes. Trying to predict any scenario is fruitless.

Guess we do need a 5th Starter right out of the gate. I'm guessing that the 5th Starter will be between who pitches best in Spring Training among Owings, Wood, Maloney and Lehr. I can't see anyone else even being considered. I'll put my hat in the Owings ring...that he'll pitch the best this Spring.

Kip Wells? Mike Lincoln:ughmamoru? Personally, I think Maloney and Wells should be the only candidates. They are just holding the spot until Chapman has put in enough time to keep his contract from escalating.

Not only do I think Owings should be in the pen, I can actually see him becoming a pretty solid middle reliever down there. Maybe a guy in the mix for the 7th inning in a close game.

Kingspoint
02-24-2010, 07:10 PM
Kip Wells? Mike Lincoln:ughmamoru? Personally, I think Maloney and Wells should be the only candidates. They are just holding the spot until Chapman has put in enough time to keep his contract from escalating.

Not only do I think Owings should be in the pen, I can actually see him becoming a pretty solid middle reliever down there. Maybe a guy in the mix for the 7th inning in a close game.

I think Wells' career has been over for some time. Every time he pitches is a bad day for the REDS. I certainly hope he doesn't take up a roster spot at any level.

camisadelgolf
02-24-2010, 07:59 PM
I think Wells' career has been over for some time. Every time he pitches is a bad day for the REDS. I certainly hope he doesn't take up a roster spot at any level.
Hyperbole much?

Just for measure, the Reds were 5-5 in games in which he pitched (and that was with horrible run support). I'm not too impressed by the guy either, but to say he's a waste of a roster spot at any level might be a bit of a stretch. Even if he were, Jocketty has shown that he's willing to part with veteran minor leaguers in favor of younger players (Scott Sauerbeck, Jon Adkins, Aaron Fultz, Ron Flores, Adam Pettyjohn, Camilo Vazquez, Jeff Kennard, Justin Lehr, Tom Shearn, Jim Brower . . . ). Granted, a couple of those guys have been re-signed, but I don't they'll pitch in the organization much longer. Besides, which AA pitchers do you see them blocking?

Edd Roush
02-25-2010, 10:37 PM
What are the odds that Satterwhite makes Dayton's roster? Also what are the odds that he starts in the outfield for Dayton?