#Oakland releases Willy Taveras, per press release. #MLB

:mooner:

:beerme:

davereds24
02-09-2010, 01:30 PM
breaking news

Farnsie
02-09-2010, 01:31 PM
I wonder who's next to give him a shot....

Farnsie
02-09-2010, 01:32 PM
...or not

HalMorrisRules
02-09-2010, 01:32 PM
Shocking, shocking I say!

Vottomatic
02-09-2010, 01:37 PM
If Jim Bowden were still GM of the Nationals, he'd call Willy because he's a former Red. ;)

wojo1025
02-09-2010, 03:46 PM
Just out of curiosity ... could the Reds be interested in bringing him back in on a minor league deal now? He wouldn't be a bad bench player IMO as long as he's brought in KNOWING that's his role

brachial pleXUs
02-09-2010, 04:14 PM
Just out of curiosity ... could the Reds be interested in bringing him back in on a minor league deal now? He wouldn't be a bad bench player IMO as long as he's brought in KNOWING that's his role

But could Dusty resist using him as the everyday leadoff hitter? You have to give your manager the tools to succeed, and deprive him of the tools to make an enormous ass out of himself.

DannyB
02-09-2010, 04:29 PM

Any team can sigh him for the minimum,the As are on the hook for the balance.

Farnsie
02-09-2010, 04:50 PM
I still can't wrap my head around just how Taveras could be That crappy...

Do you remember this epic thread by LouisvilleCARDS...?

http://www.redszone.com/forums/showthread.php?t=77834

redsof72
02-09-2010, 04:50 PM
It would be somewhat ironic, though infuriating to many on this board, if the Reds signed Tavaras to a minor league contract and now had the same player back, only with Oakland paying his salary (or at least all but the minimum of 400k). Problem with Tavarez, as everyone here knows, is that he is the type of player who has to be starting (and playing well enough to justify his starting spot) or he is of no value because he is limited to one defensive position. He does not fit the profile of a bench player. Still, you could stick him in Triple-A as an insurance policy. No chance it happens with the Reds though due to the PR firestorm this would create.

He will find a job somewhere. The Yankees had Freddy Guzman on their roster late last season and in the playoffs strictly to serve as a pinch runner and nothing else.

Revering4Blue
02-09-2010, 09:58 PM
Breath easy, fellow Redzoners.

According to ESPN.com's Jerry Crasnick, Astros general manager Ed Wade said he would be interested in bringing Willy Taveras to camp on a minor league contract if he clears waivers
The Athletics released Taveras on Tuesday after trading for him from the Reds last week. With his mix of speed and solid defense, Taveras could be a solid fourth or fifth outfielder on most teams at a minimal cost -- including the Astros.

bounty37h
02-10-2010, 09:40 AM
I thought I had read they had put him on waivers when the trade was made, or is this he just cleared waiver yesterday?

goreds2
02-10-2010, 03:49 PM
Sail on.....Again Willie.

Hey Meat
02-12-2010, 03:33 PM
? Why would you pick up a guy in a trade and then dump him? I live in a farm team town for the A's-Midland Texas, don't understand this. Glad to be through with WIlly as a Red, puzzled by this. Did I miss something?

FlyerFanatic
02-12-2010, 03:36 PM
? Why would you pick up a guy in a trade and then dump him? I live in a farm team town for the A's-Midland Texas, don't understand this. Glad to be through with WIlly as a Red, puzzled by this. Did I miss something?

jocketty prob made it part of the deal for the A's to get rosales, which is really who they wanted.

texasdave
02-12-2010, 03:47 PM

I really don't understand it either. Even if you think the guy isn't gonna make the squad why not bring him to Spring Training? He's yours so take a look at him. You can DFA him at any time.

BLEEDS
02-12-2010, 06:25 PM
Don't want to waste the roster spot probably.

Plus, what's the worst thing that happens? - he has a good spring and then you waste 200-300 PA's on him before you remember he REALLY REALLY SUCKS!!!

PEACE

-BLEEDS

Griffey012
02-13-2010, 03:42 PM
I don't think RedZone has ever been so united on a topic as: Willy Taveras Sucks.

icee82
02-14-2010, 12:56 PM
I doubt if WJ would bring back Tavares after trading him. My guess is there might be a "gentlemen's agreement" to that effect. I think there is too much "water under the bridge" between Taveras and the entire organization. Maybe they could sign both Tavares and Corey Patterson to a minor league deal. Dusty would probably ask to be transferred to Louisville and Rick Sweet could get his shot!!! Now this is thinking!!!:rolleyes:

TheBigLebowski
02-15-2010, 04:28 PM
Don't want to waste the roster spot probably.

Plus, what's the worst thing that happens? - he has a good spring and then you waste 200-300 PA's on him before you remember he REALLY REALLY SUCKS!!!

PEACE

-BLEEDS

Or, the more likely scenario, you watch him play CF with the baseball acumen of a potato sack of ball peen hammers, artfully bat leadoff while never making contact and realize he is REALLY REALLY FAST and you got an absolute steal.

I don't get this deal and I never have. Aaron Miles, although he has a certain veteran creaminess about him, is SLOW. Willy was super-fast and a fan favorite.

BLEEDS
02-15-2010, 04:49 PM
Or, the more likely scenario, you watch him play CF with the baseball acumen of a potato sack of ball peen hammers, artfully bat leadoff while never making contact and realize he is REALLY REALLY FAST and you got an absolute steal.

I don't get this deal and I never have. Aaron Miles, although he has a certain veteran creaminess about him, is SLOW. Willy was super-fast and a fan favorite.

I can't tell which parts of this are sarcastic, but I'll assume the third sentence of the second paragraph is.

As far as the first two sentences of the second paragraph, for the reds the deal is to free up approximately $1.8M and replace a guy whose only asset is a pinch runner for a guy who might be able to give you a decent pinch-hit AB every now and then, and might have a turnaround year.

Bottom line is, they both suck, Taveras probably a tad more, but at least we're saving some money.

PEACE

-BLEEDS