PDA

View Full Version : "Long Tossing"

BigPoppa
02-10-2010, 04:01 AM
I see this term used a lot......what exactly does it mean ?

CincyRed44
02-10-2010, 05:29 AM
When a pitcher throws on off days, they soft toss and slowly back up to extend the muscles, tendons, joints etc. in the arm, hence long toss. When long tossing softly throw the ball focus on lengthening the motion and accuracy using properly proscribed mechanics without putting due stress or extra pressure on the arm like when pitching. Basically you just play catch but slowly retreat to create distance.

Warm up
P1---10'---P2
P1------20'------P2
P1---------30'---------P2
P1------------40'------------P2
P1---------------50'---------------P2
P1------------------60'------------------P2
etc.

Depending on age, the maximum distance could be anywhere from 75'to120'. Now for folks at the major league level the distances may be greater I'm not sure. This is the system I used when coaching children from 11 to 19 depending on size, arm strength and developmental level.

Keep in mind this is not just for pitchers. All players can benefit from this activity no matter what position they play. It strengthens the arm. I hope this helps you.

bounty37h
02-10-2010, 09:35 AM
Looks like CR44 covered it all. When I was stil playing (catcher), I would end warmups with a long toss as well to loosen the arm one final time

redsfanfalcon
02-10-2010, 09:39 AM
I know this is a great tool to help strengthen arms as we always did it on any team I played on. The pitchers were especially encouraged to do it. Nice explanation of it!

texasdave
02-10-2010, 10:14 AM
Starting out at 10 feet apart? Maximum distance from between 75 feet to 120 feet? They ought to call it "Short Tossing".

Griffey012
02-10-2010, 11:31 AM
It is also one of the best ways to build up arm strength and velocity. During the off-season it is great to really stretch yourself out almost as far as you can comfortably throw a bullet. In high school this was a staple in my off-season. And between starts I would do as CincyRed44 mentioned above. Once I moved onto college long tossing was not a part of our training regime and my velocity and arm strength took a tremendous hit.

swaisuc
02-10-2010, 11:40 AM
Starting out at 10 feet apart? Maximum distance from between 75 feet to 120 feet? They ought to call it "Short Tossing".

Yea, it normally starts very short but ends very long. I think we usually ended about double that distance.

Ghosts of 1990
02-10-2010, 03:46 PM
Used to kill my arm in college. Supposed to build arm strength. It's pure hell at times. Hello, tendonitis

Boston Red
02-10-2010, 05:45 PM
If it was hurting your arm, it was obviously counterproductive. That's the exact opposite of the goal. Was your coach an idiot?

bounty37h
02-11-2010, 11:34 AM
^Yeah, that sounds like you either had an injury already or bad mechanics, long tossing shouldnt put that much extra stress on your arm. Once I tore my rotator, long tossing was out of the question for me.

Jerome
02-11-2010, 12:29 PM
Warm up
P1---10'---P2
P1------20'------P2
P1---------30'---------P2
P1------------40'------------P2
P1---------------50'---------------P2
P1------------------60'------------------P2
etc.

Awesome.

44Magnum
02-13-2010, 06:37 AM
Long tossing is a bad idea for pitchers. If you don't believe me, check out www.pitching.com, it is explained there.

If it was a good drill for building up arm strength, then why don't outfielders pitch? Theoretically, shouldn't they have the strongest arms in baseball from constantly performing long-toss?

Griffey012
02-13-2010, 01:22 PM
Long tossing is a bad idea for pitchers. If you don't believe me, check out www.pitching.com, it is explained there.

If it was a good drill for building up arm strength, then why don't outfielders pitch? Theoretically, shouldn't they have the strongest arms in baseball from constantly performing long-toss?

Are you trying to sell for this guy's website? He gives a pretty weak argument against long toss. Nobody said long toss was the save all for a pitchers. It is simply another means to help increase arm strength and velocity. There are plenty of other factors to go into velocity such as lower body strength, mechanics, etc.

And why don't outfielders pitch? Because they can't throw strikes, don't have breaking stuff, etc. Nearly every player on the field can crank up a 90mph fastball. They all have ridiculously strong arms that we can all dream of having. Also, outfielders don't constantly perform long toss. Pitchers long toss more than any outfielders.