PDA

View Full Version : What if........?

Vottomatic
02-15-2010, 05:34 PM
......Chapman is the real deal and a future #1 starter, like as in later this season or all of next season?

Where does that put the Reds in World Series conversations?

Chapman
Bailey
Cueto

roby
02-15-2010, 06:26 PM
......Chapman is the real deal and a future #1 starter, like as in later this season or all of next season?

Where does that put the Reds in World Series conversations?

Chapman
Bailey
Cueto

Also, eventually Volquez

UPRedsFan
02-15-2010, 07:33 PM
The answer is... it would put them in 1990 Reds territory for pitching dominance. It's possible there wouldn't be a stronger threesome or foursome in the game. I think their upside is that good

Chris Sabowned
02-15-2010, 08:32 PM
What if......

....we wait till we see the guy pitch at least one time before we give him unreal expectations.

Vottomatic
02-15-2010, 10:21 PM
What if......

....we wait till we see the guy pitch at least one time before we give him unreal expectations.

Geez. I didn't say he was our #1 starter, nor did I say he was going to be a stud. I said WHAT IF?

Pretty much the whole reason the Reds went out on a limb and signed him. They're hoping he'll develop into that affordable #1 starter that they can't afford otherwise. :rolleyes:

Cant Touch This
02-15-2010, 10:54 PM
Geez. I didn't say he was our #1 starter, nor did I say he was going to be a stud. I said WHAT IF?

Pretty much the whole reason the Reds went out on a limb and signed him. They're hoping he'll develop into that affordable #1 starter that they can't afford otherwise. :rolleyes:

Agreed. The thread wasn't entitled "When...." It's a discussion of hope and wishful thinking, not a prediction.

OGB
02-15-2010, 11:04 PM
I have to admit, as stagnant as this franchise has been for the past decade, it's at least fun to think about what could happen if Chapman has the kind of success that pitchers like Francisco Liriano and CC Sabathia had as 21 year olds.
Frankly, I dream of a day when I can go to a game at Great American in August or September and the place is packed and partying because the Reds are in the thick of a pennant race. Hopefully that happens this year.

Jr's Boy
02-16-2010, 12:59 AM
Chris Sabowned,lol
Great screen name.

Ghosts of 1990
02-16-2010, 08:50 AM
I think its too much to expect too soon. I wouldn't expect him to be a factor at this level until later parts of 2011, but thats just my opinion.

Mr Larkin
02-16-2010, 01:13 PM
I think much depends on what the management is going to do. Are they honestly trying to get him ready for this year or are they content to let him work his way through the minors?

For the money they put out to get him, my idea would be that they are trying to get the most out of their investment. Can a 21 year old have a solid season? Sure. Can a 21 year old who has never pitched in the US have that same kind of solid season? I'm not certain. I am one who is hoping and praying that Chapman proves he can handle the situation more sooner than later.

If he can do that, be a factor this season, then the Reds become legit contenders with a young, but strong rotation. Harang and Arroyo will be trade bait.

will5979
02-16-2010, 09:32 PM
Not to be a buzzkill, but 10 years ago the Reds signed another player that had us thinking of World Series, just saying...hopefully I'm talking out of my ass and all of you can laugh at this in 2 years.

urdun
02-16-2010, 09:52 PM
Don't forget Mike Leake rounding out a nice starting five. That would be fun if they could all pitch together for at least 3 years or so.

Chris Sabowned
02-16-2010, 10:31 PM
I wasn't trying to be a buzz kill on this thread. I hope Aroldis turns out to be a great player. I just hope that if he starts out slow we don't jump all over him and throw him under the bus.