PDA

View Full Version : Which Prospect make the Opening Day 2010 roster (from tORG)

BLEEDS
02-16-2010, 01:37 PM
Originally posted by WillM

The sort of 'pencilled in' team is something like this:
C - Hernandez, Hanigan
IF - Votto, Phillips, Cabrera, Rolen plus two of Janish/Miles/Sutton
OF - Bruce, Stubbs, Dickerson, Nix, Balentien
SP - Arroyo, Harang, Cueto, Bailey, Maloney
RP - Cordero, Masset, Rhodes, Burton, Herrera, Owings, Lincoln

I count seven top prospects with a chance to make the team out of spring training.

1. Todd Frazier. of all the prospects i believe he has the best shot to make the team. right if he can beat out Dickerson/Nix/Balentien for ABs in LF he could also play some 2b & 3B. even if he was the RH part of a LF platoon he could still get 400 ABs by playing some infield as well. get him a first baseman's mitt & he could spell Votto as well

2. Juan Francisco. LF seems to be his ultimate destination. he has very little experience here. he also has issues with his well discussed poor plate discipline. this combination seems to indicate a start at AAA

3. Yonder Alonso. i am a bit puzzled over the Reds lack of interest in moving Votto to LF. you would have thought having him work out there for a couple of weeks in the instructional league would have been a good idea. i just can't see Alonso making the squad with neither himself nor Votto having any experience in left field.

4. Chris Heisey. to make the team he has to beat out Balentien as the RH part of a LF platoon. problems with this scenarion. #1 he has zero big league ABs & #2 Balentien is out of options. makes me think Heisey starts in AAA

5. Ardolis Chapman. its asking a lot for him to beat out maloney for the last SP slot. could happen but i think he has to be lights out this spring not to start in AAA or AA (AA is my guess)

6. Travis Wood. Wood's AAA numbers were about the same as Maloney's. Maloney has nothing left to learn in AAA. he has to sink or swim in the bigs. my guess is that Wood spends 1/2 a season in AAA

7. Mike Leake. too soon. half a year in AA & half a year in AAA with a 2011 debut seems reasonable.

I agree that Frazier is the most likely to make the team out of this group. His versatility makes him a MUCH better candidate than Miles or Sutton to back-up Rolen at 3B. Especially with Rosales gone, this really opens up a spot for him IMO. And, as stated, he can get spot starts at 2B and the OF as well.

Heisey or Francisco would have to really impress to beat out Balentein, who we'd basically lose from the organization if he doesn't make the 25. I'd love to see it happen though. Not sure if Francisco will ever make the adjustments he needs. His couple of PH's and spot starts against Pitt and Houston scrubs in September didn't tell us anything at all. Heisey is the better bet long-term.

Alonso, as I continue to say, is best served as a trading pawn. He can't play D worth a lick, and so his only spot is at 1B, and Votto is penciled in there for the next 10 years IMO. We - again - have a plethora of OF prospects, Heisey, Francisco, Frazier, Dickerson, Stubbs, Dorn. We have Jay Bruce in RF for the next 10 years (unless he flames out), so these guys are all competing for 2 spots. They are all reaching AAA and their "prime ages" - time to trade some of them, along with Alonso, and get some proven ML talent.

Of the Pitching prospects, I'd say don't be surprised to see Mike Leake get the nod. I could see him knocking down the door, he only has to beat out Maloney.
For sure I'd expect him to get some sort of call-up in 2010.
Any combination of injuries, trades because we're sucking, Volquez not making it back, and Leake tearing up minor league hitters, could land him in the rotation anytime after the ASB if you ask me. Definitely bet on him getting a cup of coffee in September in any worse-use-case scenario for him.

Chapman won't be rushed - I believe he has a critical contract date of May 15, so don't look for him to make the opening day roster no-way no-how.
I really see no reason to bring him up at all in 2010. Let him refine and get comfortable with life and and the minor league before you try to rush him to the bigs.

PEACE

-BLEEDS

Ghosts of 1990
02-16-2010, 01:50 PM
None of them.

Reds have a history of leaving the prospects in AAA or AA out of ST, regardless of performance. They'll go with veterans to round out the bench; especially keep in mind the additions of Cairo and Chris Burke. I hope Cairo nabs a spot, he hit almost .300 last year down the stretch for Philly and made their postseason roster. He also has played on a lot of winning teams and can play anywhere. I also think Nix makes the team, and who knows as long as Gomes doesn't have a team.... he could end up making it late in ST if he comes cheap.

There's like 11 guys vying for 2 spots (position players) if we go with 12 pitchers. None of the above position guys will make the roster unless they go all Josh Hamilton on us.

OGB
02-16-2010, 02:18 PM
None of them.

Reds have a history of leaving the prospects in AAA or AA out of ST, regardless of performance. They'll go with veterans to round out the bench; especially keep in mind the additions of Cairo and Chris Burke. I hope Cairo nabs a spot, he hit almost .300 last year down the stretch for Philly and made their postseason roster. He also has played on a lot of winning teams and can play anywhere.

I couldnt agree more. I'd hate to see one of those young position players on the 25 man but largely relegated to the bench. I know a lot of people aren't sold on Dickerson, but many people are losing track of the fact that with Dickerson/Stubbs/Bruce the Reds already have a very young outfield comprised of some of the organizations best prospects from 2-3 years ago. I'd love to see these 3 get a fair shake as the starting OF for at least a few months. If nothing else, I love the speed and defense they get out of that group--easily covers as much ground as any OF in baseball. Its almost a shame they don't play in a bigger ballpark

BLEEDS
02-16-2010, 03:42 PM
None of Nix/Cairo/Burke are on the 40-man, so I think they're fighting an uphill battle. Many of these guys on the list already are on the 40-man don't have many options either. Balentein is one of them for sure.

It will be interesting, and I tend to agree that it will be hard for a prospect to make the roster, but the idea on this little exercise is to determine who has the best chance.

Saying "none" isn't very fun!! :thumbdown :laugh::duel:

PEACE

-BLEEDS

Vottomatic
02-16-2010, 04:19 PM
Reds will take the 25 players in the beginning of your post.

Some of those prospects will see major league time because there are always injuries. They will get their chance.

malcontent
02-16-2010, 08:41 PM
I'll go along with BLEEDS and say it'll be Frazier.

urdun
02-16-2010, 09:48 PM
Leake, Heisey or Frazier have a shot. I'll give Heisey the nod since according to Marty B he is first on the LF depth chart. Not sure Balentein will impress enough to not get waived.

Kingspoint
02-17-2010, 04:38 AM
Reds will take the 25 players in the beginning of your post.

Some of those prospects will see major league time because there are always injuries. They will get their chance.

I've got to go with that, too. But, I'm not real familiar with "options" and stuff, so I'll defer to others who do.

gedred69
02-17-2010, 11:08 PM
It will be whoever earns it in ST where there are openings/needs, period. Or, the brass are morons. (I wouldn't be surprised if there is a bit of a sleeper in the mix).

Chris Sabowned
02-18-2010, 10:17 AM
If I had to pick one I'd say Francisco. He logged very productive at-bats at the Major League level last year. If he produces in Goodyear, AZ maybe we'll see someone ahead of him traded a la Keppinger last year.

BLEEDS
02-18-2010, 11:39 AM
If I had to pick one I'd say Francisco. He logged very productive at-bats at the Major League level last year. If he produces in Goodyear, AZ maybe we'll see someone ahead of him traded a la Keppinger last year.

I am now starting to lean this way as well. After hearing about how well he did in Winter Ball, and reading some words from Dusty re: Miles having to win a job (anti-Duhsty rhetoric if I ever heard!), I'm thinking he may have a shot at winning a roster spot due to his power. Spot starts at 3B and a good bat off the bench.

Otherwise, I think he's probably best suited to play every day in AAA and be ready for a call-up for the inevitable/likely DL stint for Rolen.

PEACE

-BLEEDS

OGB
02-18-2010, 03:53 PM
It will be interesting, and I tend to agree that it will be hard for a prospect to make the roster, but the idea on this little exercise is to determine who has the best chance.

Saying "none" isn't very fun!! :thumbdown :laugh::duel:

PEACE

-BLEEDS

I'll play your game then, you rogue.
;)

I have to go with Frazier for several reasons.
1) His versatility gives them a potentially potent bat as a reserve at 5 or 6 positions.
2) He has more plate discipline than Francisco, the only one of the 4 who actually has big league experience.
3) If Nix is on the roster, then they already have 3 left handed hitting OF

Looking at Frazier and Heisey closely, its hard to make an argument for one over the other. They have similar K/BB ratios, similar number of plate appearances above high A, similar OPS, and they both have strong 2B/HR numbers. Heisey is better on the base paths and plays a better OF, but Frazier plays more positions. I guess I've just always been more sold on Frazier as a prospect, and so am more willing to view him as ready this year. Hopefully they both are.

texasdave
02-18-2010, 04:01 PM
Frazier with a left hook and DOWN GO BOTH FRANCISCO AND HEISEY!!

Kingspoint
02-19-2010, 06:09 AM
From Rotoworld via the Enquirer and MLBlogs.com w/ Rotoworld comments.

Aroldis Chapman could begin 2010 with the Reds, bypassing the minors entirely, according to new pitching coach Bryan Price.

Price said the Reds are more concerned with the long-run, but he isn't the first member of the organization to suggest that the 21-year-old might be major league ready. As with a number of young pitchers league-wide, spring training will determine where Chapman starts the year. If the idea of Dusty Baker with a young, power arm makes you nervous, you aren't the only one.

General manager Walt Jocketty was impressed by Aroldis Chapman's first bullpen session on Thursday, reports Mark Sheldon of MLB.com.

"Very impressive," Jocketty said in regards to the Cuban left-hander, who threw for about 10 minutes to Ramon Hernandez. "I'd like to see him when a hitter gets in there. He showed good command. Everything was right around the strike zone. I watched him do his fielding drills over there and that was pretty good." Along with Stephen Strasburg, Chapman will be one of the most intriguing arms to watch during spring training, but he is considered a long-shot to start the season in the majors.

PhillipsHead
02-19-2010, 12:03 PM
Only a pitcher has a chance to make it because we will have 11 position players and 12 pitchers. So unless Chapman or Wood make it...the answer is NO ONE.