PDA

View Full Version : Favorite Sci-Fi

TRF
02-17-2010, 10:00 AM
Star Wars introduced me to Sci-Fi about the age of 9. I remember watching Space: 1999 on tv as a kid, But Star Wars was my first lasting impression. But as good as it was, Serenity, based on the Firefly tv series is hands down my favorite. Fantastic story, excellent action, and Joss Whedon wasn't afraid to kill off favorite characters from the series.

I watched Close Encounters a few weeks ago. Never gets old.

AI was good, but emotionally draining.

I liked Pitch Black in a low budget sort of way, and The Chronicles of Riddick in a high budget with a low budget feel sort of way.

Just saw Avatar. Visually stunning, but I saw that ending about 5 minutes in. Hated that the pilot died, as she was the coolest character IMO.

I'm sure there is more, but for now, its a good start.

RedsBaron
02-17-2010, 10:50 AM
I was 21 when Star Wars came out. It blew me away, and I enjoyed The Empire Strikes Back and Return of the Jedi as well. The three more recent Star Wars films did little for me, and the original trio, while good, no longer are as magical for me, either.
I agree: Serenity was great, but I liked it even better after I finally bought and watched Firefly on DVD.
Bladerunner is a terrific film.
I grew up watching Star Trek, and for a while every other Star Trek film was good, including The Wrath of Kahn, The Voyage Home and The Undiscovered Country. I also liked the TV series Star Trek The Next Generation, but I didn't find the ST:TNG films to be as good as those with characters from the original series.
The original The Day The Earth Stood Still was good.
I really liked Terminator and Terminator 2: Judgment Day. The two Terminator movies made after those two, sans James Cameron, were not nearly as good, and inferior to the TV series The Sarah Connor Chronicles IMO.
Westworld was good.

Johnny Footstool
02-17-2010, 11:25 AM
1. Serenity (after I watched the Firefly series)
2. Serenity (prior to watching Firefly)
3. Firefly
4. Battlestar Galactica (new series)
5. Star Trek II: The Wrath of Khan
6. Aliens
7. The Terminator
8. Star Trek: TNG

jimbo
02-17-2010, 11:43 AM
Not sure I can if I can come to a conclusion of ranking them, but here are a few of my favorites that come to mind:

- I'm pretty much a Trekkie, loved all of the series except for DS9. Of the movies, The Wrath of Khan, The Undiscovered Country, First Contact, and the new Star Trek are my favorites.

- Serenity and Firefly. It's sad to think what the franchise could have become. Some of the best and most entertaining sci-fi writing ever.

- 2001: A Space Odyssey and 2010: The Year We Make Contact. The first one was groundbreaking and my favorite of the two.

- Alien and Aliens. First great mix of horror and space sci-fi, IMO.

- Planet of the Apes

- The Fly. Not sure if some would categorize this one as "Sci-Fi," or not, but it's one of the only movies that I still specifically remember watching at the drive-in theatre.

Caveat Emperor
02-17-2010, 11:44 AM
I was born a few years after the Star Wars craze hit, but got to experience it thanks to the miracle of HBO and VHS. I had all the toys as a kid and loved the movies to pieces. Like RB said, though, the new movies didn't do a ton for me. I still really enjoy the originals, though, and watch them whenever I get an odd urge.

Other sci-fi I'm a big fan of:

- Star Trek: I've watched all the TV shows (except for Voyager, which I gave up on about halfway through) and seen all the movies. Deep Space 9 is the pinnacle of the series for me, though. Once that show hit it's stride midway through it's second season, it blew away anything done in the Trek universe before or after.

- Terminator / Terminator 2: I still prefer the rough-around-the-edges first movie to the much sleeker second one. There's a depressing mood around it that just works.

- The Fifth Element: One of my favorite "popcorn" sci-fi movies of the last 20 years. The plot is about as paper-thin as people accuse "Avater" of having, but it's a fun ride.

- Avatar: Borrows liberally from a bunch of other sources, but everything about the movie just works for me. Unlike TRF, though, I had the ending pegged incorrectly (I thought for certain one of the two leads was going to die). Favorite sci-fi in the past few years.

- Dune (Sci-Fi Miniseries): I've got a soft-spot for Lynch's "take" (read: butchering, I suppose) on the material, but the Sci-Fi production comes surprisingly close to putting Hebert's work on screen.

- Doctor Who: I grew up watching the cheesy original show on PBS as a kid and saw just about every episode they still have. Didn't think much about it until they rebooted the show on the BBC about 4-5 years ago. The new show has been occasionally amazing, occasionally daft, and normally pretty damn good. Really excited that they've handed the EP reins over to the show's best writer (Stephen Moffat) and really looking forward to the upcoming season.

TRF
02-17-2010, 11:54 AM
If you haven't seen the series Space: Above and Beyond, you really missed out.

Also, I was really enjoying the new Stargate series.

MWM
02-17-2010, 12:01 PM
I can't sit and watch 5 minutes of anything remotely sci-fi, but my wife watched anything and everything sci-fi. Her favorite of all time has to be a show that was on the Scifi channel called Farscape. She LOVES that show. She's owns every season of each iteration of Stargate and the new BSG. But I think Farscape is her favorite.

Roy Tucker
02-17-2010, 12:10 PM
The biggest impact I had was sci-fi from the 50's and 60's. Many Saturday afternoon sci-fi matinees that scared the pee out of me and watched Ghoulardi on Friday nights up in Cleveland.

The Day the Earth Stood Still (1951)
Forbidden Planet (1956)
Invasion of the Body Snatchers (1956)
20 Million Miles to Earth (1957)
It Came From Outer Space (1953)
Them! (1954)
Invaders From Mars (1953)
The Beast from 20.000 Fathoms (1953)
The War of the Worlds (1953)
Village of the Damned (1960)
Panic In Year Zero (1963)
I Married a Monster from Space (1958)

westofyou
02-17-2010, 12:18 PM
I can't sit and watch 5 minutes of anything remotely sci-fi, but my wife watched anything and everything sci-fi. Her favorite of all time has to be a show that was on the Scifi channel called Farscape. She LOVES that show. She's owns every season of each iteration of Stargate and the new BSG. But I think Farscape is her favorite.

Me either, just not into the genre, but I did see the moon landings and have a Major Matt Mason, this film is not Sci Fi in appearance, but in theory it is

The Navigator: A Mediaeval Odyssey (1988)

A young boy in 14th century Cumbria (north of England) keeps getting visions he cannot explain. His village has so far been spared from the black death, but the villagers fear its imminent arrival. With the boy as their guide, a group set out to dig a hole to the other side of the world, so as to fulfil the visions and save the village. At the 'other side' is 20th century New Zealand

http://us.imdb.com/title/tt0095709/

Redhook
02-17-2010, 01:32 PM
E.T.

oneupper
02-17-2010, 01:53 PM
Gattaca
The Matrix
Terminator
Star Trek (the latest one, I liked it a lot)
Planet of the Apes (the first one)

Honorable mention to Starship Troopers...just for the fun of it.
Serenity and the Firefly series also worth mentioning.
I liked "Total Recall" although the critics weren't very nice to it.

I never really liked Star Wars, I was a young adult when it came out. The thought of Ewoks makes me nauseous.

WMR
02-17-2010, 02:12 PM
Sunshine

marcshoe
02-17-2010, 02:41 PM
Good lists. Has anyone mentioned "Dark City"?

And, of course, I'd add "Lost" and "X-Files".

I also liked the first season or so of Sliders, before they started mostly referencing movies, then changed the cast.

MWM
02-17-2010, 02:41 PM
Lost isn't Sci-Fi, IMO. It's mythology.

Redsfan320
02-17-2010, 04:45 PM
I first saw Star Wars about 6 years ago, at the age of 7, and for ~3 years I was the definition of Star Wars Obsession.

westofyou
02-17-2010, 04:54 PM
I first saw Star Wars at age 26... Meh... American Graffiti is still George's best film by far.

RedsBaron
02-17-2010, 05:24 PM
I first saw Star Wars at age 26... Meh... American Graffiti is still George's best film by far.

I loved Star Wars (and still think it deserved the best picture Oscar in 1977), but, yes, American Graffiti is Lucas's best film.

Jack Burton
02-17-2010, 06:19 PM
A New Hope is my favorite, mind blowing how influential it really was.

frenetic wave
02-17-2010, 08:02 PM
The Thing with Kurt Russell is a great sci-fi thriller.

Sunshine is a great recent one.

2001 is probably my all time favorite sci-fi.

Joseph
02-17-2010, 08:17 PM
I'm 35, Star Wars came out when I was 3 and I was obsessed then for all the cool spaceships and 'monsters' like Chewbacca. Return of the Jedi was the first film I saw in theatres a few years later.

When I got a little older I began to really appreciate all the mythology and other such lore Lucas put into the story and I fell in love with it.

On my honeymoon The Phantom Menace came to theatres and my wonderful wife stood in line with me at the theatre in Myrtle Beach to see it. I, like most, haven't loved the second 3 like I did the first, but Star Wars is the be all end all for me for sci-fi.

Kingspoint
02-17-2010, 09:43 PM
I was at the Premier Midnight showing of "The Empire Strikes Back" with about 8 College Friends. That was a lot of fun.

I still love original "Star Trek" episodes.

Kingspoint
02-17-2010, 09:44 PM
Love the original "The Twilight Zone" episodes.

You can't beat "Talking Tina".

Kingspoint
02-17-2010, 09:46 PM
When I was a kid, I loved "The Time Tunnel". Watching an episode of it now, I can't believe how stupid it was.

Also loved, "Voyage to the Bottom of the Sea" episodes at the time they were new.

Irwin Allen was pretty cool in the '60's.

westofyou
02-17-2010, 10:19 PM
When I was a kid, I loved "The Time Tunnel". Watching an episode of it now, I can't believe how stupid it was.

Also loved, "Voyage to the Bottom of the Sea" episodes at the time they were new.

Irwin Allen was pretty cool in the '60's.

Now yer talking... Land of the Giants is a perfect example of SCI FI camp

BCubb2003
02-17-2010, 10:57 PM
I was always more into Star Wars than Star Trek. Thought the Stars Wars prequels became too slow and ponderous, but if any one of them had come first, it would have been stunning and influential.

THX1138 was a really cool class project.

Loved the dialogue in Serenity.

Loved Terminator, District 9, Blade Runner, Galaxy Quest and Alien.

Thought Avatar was Alien told from the Aliens' point of view. Liked it, but thought the 3-D was flawed.

Never liked Doctor Who. Not impressed by a villain that was a slow-moving garbage can that made an ugly noise.

It's probably fantasy rather than sci-fi, but Cincinnati's own Winsor McCay deserves a lot of credit for his Little Nemo comics.

Johnny Footstool
02-17-2010, 11:15 PM
If you haven't seen the series Space: Above and Beyond, you really missed out.

I agree. It was as if someone decided to make a non-campy version of "Starship Troopers," plus it had the gritty, "anyone can die at any moment" tone of "Battlestar Galactica."

Kingspoint
02-18-2010, 04:18 AM
Now yer talking... Land of the Giants is a perfect example of SCI FI camp

A young Dyan Cannon? Oh, yeah!

http://t0.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:Q2p43yDMxdLfqM:http://www.cloudster.com/Sets%26Vehicles/Spindrift/spindrift17.jpg

GAC
02-18-2010, 04:22 AM
The biggest impact I had was sci-fi from the 50's and 60's. Many Saturday afternoon sci-fi matinees that scared the pee out of me and watched Ghoulardi on Friday nights up in Cleveland.

The Day the Earth Stood Still (1951)
Forbidden Planet (1956)
Invasion of the Body Snatchers (1956)
20 Million Miles to Earth (1957)
It Came From Outer Space (1953)
Them! (1954)
Invaders From Mars (1953)
The Beast from 20.000 Fathoms (1953)
The War of the Worlds (1953)
Village of the Damned (1960)
Panic In Year Zero (1963)
I Married a Monster from Space (1958)

Good stuff. Loved them as a kid growing up.

Amazing Colossal Man (1957)
Earth vs. the Flying Saucers (1956)
Gorgo (1961)

I'm glad to see they are starting to release many on DVD now.

Kingspoint
02-18-2010, 04:23 AM
It was corny, but at the time it was new, "Lost in Space" was cool.

TeamCasey
02-18-2010, 05:33 AM
All time favorite - Close Encounters of the Third Kind

Kingspoint
02-18-2010, 05:59 AM
All time favorite - Close Encounters of the Third Kind

"You want to pass me some of them taters?"

redsfandan
02-18-2010, 06:21 AM
Spaceballs?

TRF
02-18-2010, 09:25 AM
I agree. It was as if someone decided to make a non-campy version of "Starship Troopers," plus it had the gritty, "anyone can die at any moment" tone of "Battlestar Galactica."

The flap jacks episode and chiggy von richtoven were two of the best. and at the time it was state of the art cgi.

flyer85
02-18-2010, 11:43 AM
Blade Runner
Serenity/Firefly
Independence Day

Nugget
02-18-2010, 11:48 AM
Logan's Run
Bicentennial Man

Not sure if Sci-Fi or more Dystopian epic (which is probably where Logan's Run fits in too) but Mad Max.

TRF
02-18-2010, 01:02 PM
Blade Runner
Serenity/Firefly
Independence Day

Independence Day?

ugh.

RFS62
02-18-2010, 01:42 PM
Serenity

Alien and Aliens

Terminator and T2

The Empire Strikes Back

Chip R
02-18-2010, 01:55 PM
What does everyolne think of Babylon 5? A friend of mine has loaned me the 1st season on DVD and it's pretty good so far.

GAC
02-19-2010, 04:01 AM
It was corny, but at the time it was new, "Lost in Space" was cool.

Very campy, but never missed an episode as a kid. That and Outer Limits. Also loved Roy Thinnes in The Invaders.

And West World....

http://www.sinemaestro.com/uploads/posts/2009-06/1246393584_westworld-yul_l.jpg

Kingspoint
02-19-2010, 04:35 AM
"West World" scared the bejesus out of me when I saw it at the theater.

Hey, Frankenstein gave me nightmares as a kid. I don't do the "horror" movies well.

marcshoe
02-20-2010, 03:37 PM
Quantum Leap belongs on the list. I would have mentioned that earlier, but my brain has turned to swiss cheese.

redsfandan
02-20-2010, 06:30 PM
The Lawnmower Man

OldRightHander
02-20-2010, 11:36 PM
What does everyolne think of Babylon 5? A friend of mine has loaned me the 1st season on DVD and it's pretty good so far.

I really enjoyed it. I've got the DVDs as well. I was surprised it hadn't been mentioned yet.

Yachtzee
02-21-2010, 11:34 PM
Chalk me up as another Star Wars fan, but only of Episodes 4-6. I always felt that what set those films apart from other Sci-Fi at the time was how it seemed so much more "realistic" than other space movies. The space ships looked like they'd been through a lot, with blast marks, dirt and grime. Add to that the characters in the film, especially Han Solo, Princess Leia, and Old Ben Kenobi, even Yoda seemed so natural. They were sarcastic, witty, and flawed instead of being overblow hero types. The only real mistake in those films was the obvious introduction of the Ewoks to appeal to young kids. I think Lucas really forgot about that when he made Episodes 1-3, where all the spaceships are squeaky clean CGI models and the characters all stiff and one-dimensional. I actually found the animated versions of Obi Wan and Anakin in The Clone Wars tv series to be more life-like than the live action versions played by Ewan McGregor and Hayden Christiansen.

I've enjoyed Star Trek as well, mainly the Wrath of Khan and The Voyage Home and some of the Original Series episodes. Never really got into the Next Generation and its progeny, which sometimes seemed as exciting as watching live sessions of UN Security Counsel meetings.

As a kid, I loved Space:1999 and Lost in Space, as well as the anime "Star Blazers" series, which was on after school every day for a few years.

Others:
Battlestar Gallactica (original series, excluding Gallactica:1980). I haven't seen the new version yet.
The Fifth Element
Dune
Blade Runner
Space: Above and Beyond
Red Dwarf

Johnny Footstool
02-22-2010, 12:04 AM
Others:
Battlestar Gallactica (original series, excluding Gallactica:1980). I haven't seen the new version yet.
The Fifth Element
Dune
Blade Runner
Space: Above and Beyond
Red Dwarf

If you liked the original Battlestar Galactica and Space: Above and Beyond, it is imperative that you start watching the new Battlestar Galactica. It is fantastic.

RedsBaron
02-22-2010, 07:07 AM
Chalk me up as another Star Wars fan, but only of Episodes 4-6. I always felt that what set those films apart from other Sci-Fi at the time was how it seemed so much more "realistic" than other space movies. The space ships looked like they'd been through a lot, with blast marks, dirt and grime. Add to that the characters in the film, especially Han Solo, Princess Leia, and Old Ben Kenobi, even Yoda seemed so natural. They were sarcastic, witty, and flawed instead of being overblow hero types. The only real mistake in those films was the obvious introduction of the Ewoks to appeal to young kids. I think Lucas really forgot about that when he made Episodes 1-3, where all the spaceships are squeaky clean CGI models and the characters all stiff and one-dimensional. I actually found the animated versions of Obi Wan and Anakin in The Clone Wars tv series to be more life-like than the live action versions played by Ewan McGregor and Hayden Christiansen.

I've enjoyed Star Trek as well, mainly the Wrath of Khan and The Voyage Home and some of the Original Series episodes. Never really got into the Next Generation and its progeny, which sometimes seemed as exciting as watching live sessions of UN Security Counsel meetings.

Others:

Blade Runner

I liked Blade Runner.
I too have never watched the new version of Battlestar Galactica; I enjoyed the original even though the scripts were so-so. The early episodes had Jane Seymour, and Maren Jensen was easy on the eyes, while Dirk Benedict added charm.
I actually preferred Star Trek: The Next Generation to the original (as actors Patrick Stewart is the 1927 Yankees and William Shatner is the 1962 Mets), but I liked the original as well.
As for Star Wars, I totally agree with you. There are similarities between Harrison Ford's Han Solo and Nathan Fillion's Malcolm Reynolds in Firefly/Serenity, though both characters also are similar to Clark Gable/Errol Flynn characters from decades earlier. Even in the first three films (episodes 4-6), George Lucas's scripts didn't have as much humor, nor were the characters as well drawn, as those of Josh Wheldon's Firefly. The final three films (episodes 1-3) were virtually humor free and ponderous.
An underlying theme in the original Star Wars films was the defeat of a technologically superior force by an outmanned band of rebels with spirit. Ironically, George Lucas concluded the saga by becoming wrapped up in technology (and merchandising). Serenity was a far superior film to the final three Star Wars movies.

Caveat Emperor
02-22-2010, 08:02 AM
Even in the first three films (episodes 4-6), George Lucas's scripts didn't have as much humor, nor were the characters as well drawn, as those of Josh Weldon's Firefly.

Firefly is my ultimate "don't get the hype" sci-fi of the last decade. I borrowed the DVDs from a friend and watched it -- thought it was good, but absolutely nothing special.

I guess while some people see "well drawn" characters, I see a main that's trying to hard to be a new-era Han Solo and a lot of well-worn bits pulled liberally from other science fiction (notably Star Wars and the animated series Cowbow Bebop). Definitely an entertaining show, but certainly not groundbreaking and "tragedy that it was cancelled" material.

Guess I'm not much of a Whedon-fan, though -- I thought "Buffy" / "Angel" were pretty unwatchable.

Johnny Footstool
02-22-2010, 09:43 AM
Nathan Fillion has said that he based his Mal Reynolds character on Indiana Jones, specifically in the way that he takes a beating. Getting punched hurts him, and it shows. His knees get wobbly.

Joss Whedon has talked about "Firefly" as "'Star Wars,' but with nine Han Solos."

Revering4Blue
04-04-2010, 01:16 PM
Godzilla gearing up for new big-screen rampage

http://www.reuters.com/article/idUSTRE62T0LW20100330

Everyone's favorite gigantic, havoc-wreaking lizard, Godzilla, is on his way back to the big screen via Legendary Pictures, which has acquired the rights to develop and produce a new feature based on the iconic Toho Co. character. Warner Bros. will co-produce, co-finance and distribute through its deal with Legendary, and Toho will roll out the film in Japan.

The new film is aiming for a 2012 release.

"Godzilla is one of the world's most powerful pop culture icons, and we at Legendary are thrilled to be able to create a modern epic based on this long-loved Toho franchise," said Thomas Tull, chairman and CEO of Legendary. "Our plans are to produce the Godzilla that we, as fans, would want to see. We intend to do justice to those essential elements that have allowed this character to remain as pop-culturally relevant for as long as it has."