PDA

View Full Version : Puppy Shopping

blumj
02-17-2010, 05:31 PM
Our 18 year old beagle mix died about 6 months ago, and I think we're ready to start over.

http://www.capeannanimalaid.com/newsite/adoptabledogs.html

We already decided on a shelter dog, and a male retriever mix is our first choice. This shelter is close enough for us to get to before they open in the morning, and they're already closed for the night and the site updated, so nobody will be adopted before we can get there. Anyone see anything they like?

RedsBaron
02-17-2010, 05:34 PM
I liked them all but Sirena was my favorite.
Good luck.

blumj
02-17-2010, 05:51 PM
I liked them all but Sirena was my favorite.
Good luck.

Thanks. I like her a lot, too, but one family member is very attached to us getting a male dog.

Redsfan320
02-17-2010, 06:02 PM
I like Serafin myself, although Simmon looked good too.

edabbs44
02-17-2010, 09:12 PM
Oscar...I am a dachshund owner. Great breed.

Kingspoint
02-17-2010, 09:47 PM
Couldn't pay me a million dollars to own a Beagle. The howling is just too much.

sonny
02-17-2010, 09:49 PM
Get a mastiff and ride to work in style!

reds1869
02-18-2010, 07:47 AM
I'll add another vote for Oscar.

bucksfan2
02-18-2010, 08:26 AM
Don't think you can go wrong with a lab mix. They are great dogs, but they do chew when they are young.

When my wife and I went to pick out dogs we were set on one dog. We showed up at the shelter and another dog ran right up to us and was jumping on our legs. The dog we originally had wanted held back. We just kind of said the dog picked us.

Don't get your heart set on one dog until you get out to the shelter.

SunDeck
02-18-2010, 09:03 AM
Thanks. I like her a lot, too, but one family member is very attached to us getting a male dog.

In all the dogs I've owned- and I have dearly loved my boys- the females have been much easier to train. I'm no dog whisperer, but I have also noticed a difference in the way they acclimate to family and kids (their pack, I guess).

And your choice should also be based on your lifestyle. If you're willing to exercise the dog hard every day, those retriever/shepherd mixes will be great. But if you don't make them work off their energy, they will chew your house to shreds for two years. Those are the ones I'd get- I think just about any shepherd mix (I have one now) is a great dog, especially since their breeding makes them want to always come back to you (my old girl used to herd my male Lab and bring him back!)

Good luck!

bucksfan2
02-18-2010, 09:12 AM
Im partial to males myself. Never had a female dog, grown too accustomed to saying good boy that I don't want to change my ways.

TeamCasey
02-18-2010, 10:31 AM
Serafin

klw
02-18-2010, 11:22 AM
I would vote for Bella or Claudia. Both beagle or beagle mix. Bella being older would be a plus as you won't need to go through housebreaking her which should help with the transition from an older dog. Nice group of puppies.

blumj
02-18-2010, 04:51 PM
bump

klw
02-18-2010, 05:02 PM
Did you go down to see the pups in person?

blumj
02-18-2010, 05:11 PM
Did you go down to see the pups in person?
I didn't, but other family members did. I haven't met him yet, but he's on his way home now.

bucksfan2
02-19-2010, 08:21 AM
Looks pretty similar to my dog. Palmer is black and white, a little more white than yours, and has a longer strip of white going back towards the top of his head.

blumj
02-19-2010, 09:57 AM
Looks pretty similar to my dog. Palmer is black and white, a little more white than yours, and has a longer strip of white going back towards the top of his head.

That picture makes his white areas look sharper than in real life, it also makes him seem a little stockier than he is, he's such a whispy little thing. I'll change it once I have something other than the one I saved off the shelter site. It was pretty neat seeing the picture come down off the site while I was waiting, though.

We're still working on his name if anyone wants to make suggestions.

Red Heeler
02-19-2010, 11:19 AM
That picture makes his white areas look sharper than in real life, it also makes him seem a little stockier than he is, he's such a whispy little thing. I'll change it once I have something other than the one I saved off the shelter site. It was pretty neat seeing the picture come down off the site while I was waiting, though.

Some friendly advise from a veterinarian. Name him anything but "Lucky."

Trust me on this one:thumbup:

RBA
02-19-2010, 11:45 AM
Must be me, I thought the topic was "Puppy Shooting"

Who would shoot a puppy?

blumj
02-19-2010, 12:51 PM
Some friendly advise from a veterinarian. Name him anything but "Lucky."

Trust me on this one:thumbup:
And I'll take it. But I bet not wanting to tempt fate like that comes pretty naturally to most baseball fans.

blumj
02-19-2010, 12:53 PM
Must be me, I thought the topic was "Puppy Shooting"

Who would shoot a puppy?
That's typically how I figure out that it's time to clean my screen.

RFS62
02-20-2010, 04:54 PM

Cujo

blumj
02-20-2010, 06:16 PM
Cujo

My cat has been acting like she thinks the puppy's a crazed, diseased, killer.

Red Heeler
02-22-2010, 10:02 AM
Cujo

In vet school, I had a patient named Cujo. I spent the better part of two weeks trying to nurse that dog back to health. His owners were ready to give up on him. On what was to be their last visit, I gave him a pep-talk on the way to the exam room where they were waiting to say good-bye.

Red Heeler, "Look, Cujo, things aren't looking so good here. I need you to put on a good show. Look alive when you go in there."

Cujo was money. When he walked into the exam room he wagged his tail as hard as he could. He grinned a big doggy grin. He jumped up on the little girl. He barked a happy bark. Truly the performance of a lifetime. The owners agreed to give him a few more days.

Four days later, the last thing he did before he walked out the door to go home for good was bite me.

blumj
02-22-2010, 10:26 AM
In vet school, I had a patient named Cujo. I spent the better part of two weeks trying to nurse that dog back to health. His owners were ready to give up on him. On what was to be their last visit, I gave him a pep-talk on the way to the exam room where they were waiting to say good-bye.

Red Heeler, "Look, Cujo, things aren't looking so good here. I need you to put on a good show. Look alive when you go in there."

Cujo was money. When he walked into the exam room he wagged his tail as hard as he could. He grinned a big doggy grin. He jumped up on the little girl. He barked a happy bark. Truly the performance of a lifetime. The owners agreed to give him a few more days.

Four days later, the last thing he did before he walked out the door to go home for good was bite me.

What was wrong with him?

Red Heeler
02-22-2010, 12:59 PM
What was wrong with him?

Odd case. First, we removed a lung lobe that had twisted around itself and died. After that, he should have been OK, but he kept building up fluid in his abdomen. A few days following the removal of the lung lobe, we did an exploratory surgery of his abdomen. There, we found a hole in his stomach. The surgeons repaired the hole in the stomach, but he continued to build the fluid in his abdomen, presumably from peritonitis due to the stomach perforation. That was the point where the family had decided to give up on him.

I really built a bond with that dog. At the time, I had the dog that inspired my moniker on this site. Wyatt, the red heeler, was the most loving dog you could ask for to anyone in the family, but he was a monster to anyone outside the family. Cujo was the same kind of dog.

blumj
02-23-2010, 10:14 AM
I really don't know how people in your profession do it, I can't even imagine. Strange situation, this was our family vet for more than 15 years, she was so great with us and our pets: http://abcnews.go.com/WN/joan-baruffaldi-family-accuses-husband-deth/story?id=9174523 . I haven't been to the clinic since it happened, but we're taking the puppy there for his first visit tomorrow.

Red Heeler
02-23-2010, 02:08 PM
I really don't know how people in your profession do it, I can't even imagine. Strange situation, this was our family vet for more than 15 years, she was so great with us and our pets: http://abcnews.go.com/WN/joan-baruffaldi-family-accuses-husband-deth/story?id=9174523 . I haven't been to the clinic since it happened, but we're taking the puppy there for his first visit tomorrow.

Wow! Tough story. I don't think she committed suicide.

Puffy
02-24-2010, 11:52 AM
I just filled out an application with Emerald Coast Golden Retriever Rescue for this dog:

http://www.ecgrr.com/content/view/614/88/
http://img.villagephotos.com/p/2004-9/825505/10004_Callie_Side.jpg

I've been saying for two years I was going to rescue a dog to team with my terror, errr, my Chocolate Lab, but methinks I might finally have gone and done it. We'll see how the adoption process goes and whether someone adopts her with priority over me.

blumj
02-25-2010, 08:46 AM
I just filled out an application with Emerald Coast Golden Retriever Rescue for this dog:

I've been saying for two years I was going to rescue a dog to team with my terror, errr, my Chocolate Lab, but methinks I might finally have gone and done it. We'll see how the adoption process goes and whether someone adopts her with priority over me.
Good for you, I hope you get her. I did kind of want a golden, I've never had one, but they seem like really wonderful dogs.

Red Heeler
02-25-2010, 12:15 PM
Good for you, I hope you get her. I did kind of want a golden, I've never had one, but they seem like really wonderful dogs.

Old goldens are simply the best dogs on the planet. Young goldens can be quite hyper. They need lots of training and exercise.

Speaking of exercise, Labs need lots of it, too. The ones that I have seen that are in good condition have all been working dogs. Pet Labs tend to get overweight in a hurry. There are a host of health problems related to obesity in dogs, so it is something to pay close attention to.

Redsfan320
02-25-2010, 03:13 PM
My family's had 2 goldens. One is doing fine at age 8, the other had to be put down last month at age 12. Great dogs.

blumj
02-25-2010, 03:47 PM
Old goldens are simply the best dogs on the planet. Young goldens can be quite hyper. They need lots of training and exercise.

Speaking of exercise, Labs need lots of it, too. The ones that I have seen that are in good condition have all been working dogs. Pet Labs tend to get overweight in a hurry. There are a host of health problems related to obesity in dogs, so it is something to pay close attention to.
Thanks, we went through some of that with the beagle mix so we're aware and hopefully won't make the same mistakes again.

Funny thing about puppies, yesterday, Wiley acted like going out in the rain was torture, today, it's the most fun thing in the world. Three days ago, the cat was the scariest thing he ever saw, today, its just another toy, although it's a toy that doesn't particularly want to play with him. If you haven't had a young one in a while and have the ability to take care of one, I recommend it. I forgot how much fun this is.

Raisor
02-26-2010, 12:32 PM
Brittney puppies are the cutest things on the planet.

blumj
02-28-2010, 04:55 PM
Brittney puppies are the cutest things on the planet.
Kittens are the cutest things on the planet, IMO. The only problem with kittens is that they grow up to be cats, and cats are smart enough to figure out that we're nothing special.

RedsManRick
02-28-2010, 05:01 PM

My parents have two labs, a 2.5 year old boy named Samson (Sammy) and a 1.5 year old female named Jasmine (Jazzy) . I thought Sammy was a bundle of energy until they brought Jazzy home. She's insane and completely jealous of Sammy -- anything he shows the slightest interest in, she has to have. Whether it's somebody petting him or him picking up a toy. She'll jump in between, run over to steal the toy, you name it. Just crazy. We're hoping she chills out as she gets older (and after my parents breed them...)

thatcoolguy_22
03-01-2010, 10:01 AM
Every time I skim through the thread topics on the non-chatter side I have read this title as Puppy Shooting. I have now clicked on it twice... Go with an australian shepherd. I have had 2. Easiest dogs to train I have ever had. The 1st one died from Parvo (yes he was vaccinated) but he was a genius when it came to dogs. I taught him all the basic tricks; sit, stay, lay down, roll over, but he also some learned some pretty good ones as well, play dead (from a bang bang sound), catch a frisbee, and how to open the fridge on command (was working on him getting a beer out of the fridge before he died. Genius as far as dogs go. The other Aussie I had I gave to my boss when I found out I was coming to Korea. He's wicked smart too but not on the 1st ones level.

Either way enjoy your new pet.

blumj
03-26-2010, 09:53 AM

Adoption pending? Did you get her?

Puffy
03-26-2010, 11:36 AM
No, I did not get her. She got adopted by her foster family.

But I went through all the processes so I am pre-approved for the next time.

blumj
03-26-2010, 11:41 AM
No, I did not get her. She got adopted by her foster family.

But I went through all the processes so I am pre-approved for the next time.

Good luck, I hope you find your new dog soon. But it's great that she found her home without having to leave her home.

HumnHilghtFreel
03-26-2010, 02:32 PM
As somebody that works in a shelter, thanks for going through a shelter. lol

blumj
03-27-2010, 04:27 PM
As somebody that works in a shelter, thanks for going through a shelter. lol
You're very welcome. How do you stop yourself from bringing 12 dogs and 30 cats home with you?

Yachtzee
03-27-2010, 11:11 PM
Just watched "Babe" with my kids. I love the Border Collies in that film. My current dog is a 13 year-old Border Collie mix and I love her. Heck of a dog to train, because they're so smart and tend to have a dominant streak to them (love to herd just about anything and everything, even other dogs and children). When we were doing obedience school, the trainer said that Border Collies will test you at every opportunity, and they aren't easily trained using food as a motivator (unlike, say, retrievers, who will do just about anything for a treat). Once you train them though, they are awesome. Their smarts, speed and agility make them excellent agility dogs. I only wish we had had a good agility park around when she was young.

HumnHilghtFreel
03-28-2010, 04:22 PM
You're very welcome. How do you stop yourself from bringing 12 dogs and 30 cats home with you?

The cats part is easy, I'm allergic to them :lol:

The dogs, however, it's hard not to take them all home. But seeing them come and go, you know they're for the most part going to good homes.

I'm moving soon though, and when I get into the new house, I expect to have at least 2 new additions lol