PDA

View Full Version : Let's get the young guys lots of playing time

HUHUH
02-17-2010, 08:44 PM
I recently posted a similar thread to Hal McCoy's blog, but have been thinking more about this:

The poster said effectively that "Frazier and Heisey shouldn't make the team unless they win starting positions". The old implied adage that players "need at-bats/experience" is what is at play here. Let me cut to the chase:

How about a bench of Frazier, Alonso, Heisey, Francisco, Valaika, etc?

The old adage is that it is preferable that young players get maximum playing time in the minors instead of wasting away on the MLB bench.
First, we know there will be injuries and reasons to sit the so-called "starting" players throughout the season. We know that guys on the MLB roster throughout the season will probably get a few hundred at-bats, not to mention the benefits of being around the big-leaguers all year. Secondly, am I naive in thinking that these guys still need to learn how to hit the cut off guy, move runners over, bunt, etc? If so, then perhaps we should fire the minor league coaches and re-think youth baseball nationwide. For chrissakes, Dickerson is 28 and has probably (as all of them have) been playing organized ball since he was 5. If we still have to teach these guys to bunt, there is a bigger problem to address. A 28 year old in the NBA is a 10 year veteran and a 28 year old in the NFL is retired or in the hospital.

These guys are the future of the organization. Instead of relying on retreads such as Gomes and Nix, lets let them play.

I haven't mentioned pitching at all yet. But the sentiment is the same. "Chapman needs to start in the minors in order to get his innings in". "We don't want to rush him to the majors".

We just signed a guy with maybe one of the best arms around. I'd rather see him in the bullpen or rotation, helping the team and learning the ropes, than have him relegated to Dayton in order to "eat up the innings".

I think that most in baseball have a serious problem with adhering to the old adages. I'd argue about batting order issues (why the #4 guy should be the power guy, etc) but would not make any headway with the powers that be. When will someone in this sport begin to think outside the box instead of acting as clones?

Knightro28
02-17-2010, 09:51 PM
The more time they waste away on the Major League bench, the quicker they become free agents.

HUHUH
02-17-2010, 09:54 PM
As opposed to wasted at-bats in Louisville? Those at-bats will be redeemed when? how?

HUHUH
02-17-2010, 09:57 PM
And oh yeah by "waste away" you mean doesn't play or contribute? In that case get rid of them. My intent is that they DO contribute.

Vottomatic
02-17-2010, 10:34 PM
No offense, but I hate the idea of your post.

Major league baseball seasons are filled with injuries. There will be plenty of opportunities for our minor league players who are at the highest level.

But meanwhile, they should stay ready getting at-bats in the minors, if they aren't going to start for the major league team.

Griffey012
02-17-2010, 10:34 PM
I agree with you in the sense that if Frazier, or Heisey, or someone has as good of a spring if not better than one of the older guys like Nix then they should be in the starting spot from day 1 no question (actually Nix should have to have a ridiculous spring to have the job given to him). However I have to disagree that if they do not win the starting job then they should be playing every day in Louisville. If the plan is to have these guys be everyday players at some point then there is no better way to prep for that than by playing everyday. Being a bench player you need to have skills at multiple positions, and be able to pinch hit on queue, which is very hard to do.

Unless you have blinders on your glasses that allow you to not see past next season then your argument makes no sense for the good of the ballclub.

PhillipsHead
02-19-2010, 12:12 PM
The young guys need to stay in Triple-A and wait for their shots either due to injury or in the future. None of our young position players make the team unless they go on an absolute tear in Spring.

brm7675
02-19-2010, 12:24 PM
young players need to play and play everyday and sitting on the bench will do nothing bunt strunt their growth as players. All those you listed need to be in AAA and getting in 250-300 AB's this season and playing every day, not sitting on teh Reds bench never seeing any game action.

I recently posted a similar thread to Hal McCoy's blog, but have been thinking more about this:

The poster said effectively that "Frazier and Heisey shouldn't make the team unless they win starting positions". The old implied adage that players "need at-bats/experience" is what is at play here. Let me cut to the chase:

How about a bench of Frazier, Alonso, Heisey, Francisco, Valaika, etc?

The old adage is that it is preferable that young players get maximum playing time in the minors instead of wasting away on the MLB bench.
First, we know there will be injuries and reasons to sit the so-called "starting" players throughout the season. We know that guys on the MLB roster throughout the season will probably get a few hundred at-bats, not to mention the benefits of being around the big-leaguers all year. Secondly, am I naive in thinking that these guys still need to learn how to hit the cut off guy, move runners over, bunt, etc? If so, then perhaps we should fire the minor league coaches and re-think youth baseball nationwide. For chrissakes, Dickerson is 28 and has probably (as all of them have) been playing organized ball since he was 5. If we still have to teach these guys to bunt, there is a bigger problem to address. A 28 year old in the NBA is a 10 year veteran and a 28 year old in the NFL is retired or in the hospital.

These guys are the future of the organization. Instead of relying on retreads such as Gomes and Nix, lets let them play.

I haven't mentioned pitching at all yet. But the sentiment is the same. "Chapman needs to start in the minors in order to get his innings in". "We don't want to rush him to the majors".

We just signed a guy with maybe one of the best arms around. I'd rather see him in the bullpen or rotation, helping the team and learning the ropes, than have him relegated to Dayton in order to "eat up the innings".

I think that most in baseball have a serious problem with adhering to the old adages. I'd argue about batting order issues (why the #4 guy should be the power guy, etc) but would not make any headway with the powers that be. When will someone in this sport begin to think outside the box instead of acting as clones?

Mr Larkin
02-19-2010, 03:37 PM
How did keeping Willie Mo Pena on the bench work out? He never reached his potential. If he had options to go back to AAA and get some seasoning, then I think his career would have been better. He may still have some good years, but not like it was expected.

ian_madden
02-20-2010, 01:18 PM
I like how you are trying to think outside the box, but I think that it is the wrong approach. We don't have the money to pay these young guys to ride the bench. We need to "maximize" them by not bringing them up till they are ready, and a starter. We need to delay arbitration as long as possible. We all believe these guys are going to be good, some great, they are going to demand a lot of money, money we don't have. If your the player you want to be in the big leagues, you make more money, and your living your dream. We have to do what is best for the organization, not the individual players personal wants.

As far as Chapman goes, he WILL NOT start this year in majors, if so we threw away millions of dollars away.