PDA

View Full Version : What a difference 5 years makes...

HalMorrisRules
02-17-2010, 10:59 PM
This was the starting five when ST broke in 2005:

Aaron Harang
Eric Milton
Paul Wilson
Ramon Ortiz
Brandon Claussen

Compare that to the players that Dusty told John Fay are in competition for the fifth spot:
Mike Lincoln
Micah Owings
Justin Lehr
Mike Leake
Matt Maloney
Travis Wood
Aroldis Chapman

So what do you say? Would you take the 5 from 2005 or pick 5 from that list from 2010? Which would have to the better success?

My point in bringing this up is that the depth of starting pitching this year is light years ahead of where the Reds were just a short time ago.

Vottomatic
02-18-2010, 08:03 AM
The depth of the major and minor league rosters is light years ahead of where it was 5 years ago.

We can't even get guys like Frazier, Francisco and Heisey on the major league squad because of who is ahead of them.

Chris Sabowned
02-18-2010, 10:14 AM
I think our depth as far as our lineup goes is great, much better than anytime the last decade.

But, while we do have a lot of potential #5 starters this year, do any of them really jump out at you that much? I think Leake, Wood, and Chapman might still be a year or so away. Plus most people thought Brandon Claussen had some potential back in 2005.

HalMorrisRules
02-18-2010, 10:57 AM
My point in this was to illustrate that these guys are in competition for the FIFTH spot in the rotation and 5 years ago they would had gotten serious consideration for positions 2-5 after Harang.

CySeymour
02-18-2010, 11:13 AM
My point in this was to illustrate that these guys are in competition for the FIFTH spot in the rotation and 5 years ago they would had gotten serious consideration for positions 2-5 after Harang.

Great, great point. We might not like to believe it sometimes, but this organization is in much better shape today than it was back then. Sure, we aren't at the point at the major league level where we all would like, but it certainly is much better than it had been.

ian_madden
02-19-2010, 12:49 AM
Ill take Harang 5 years ago. He was really good. I hope he can get back to what he was then. If not, he should not be our opening day starter. I think that he is a 3 or a 4 now. Lets take some pressure off him.

I think that the guys competing for the 5th starter spot,combined will have better career numbers than our 5 starters combined from 2005. Heck, we can leave out Chapman. What do you think?

mattfeet
02-19-2010, 07:53 AM
I say give the ball to Bronson for opening day. He's been a solid, 200+ innings, 15+ win guy for us and it'd be nice to give him some recognition. Im not sure why people still refer to Harang as our "Ace". He hasn't been that for over two years now, and I cannot see him taking that crown this year, either. Although, Id love it if he proved me wrong.

-Matt

PhillipsHead
02-19-2010, 12:04 PM
Brandon Claussen....Brandon Larson...Eric Milton....

I shudder at the last decade...