PDA

View Full Version : Price hints Chapman could start in majors

OnBaseMachine
02-18-2010, 05:44 PM
This probably deserves a thread of its own.

Price hints Chapman could start in majors
Posted by jfay February 18th, 2010, 5:35 pm

New pitch coach Bryan Price spelled out the plan for Aroldis Chapman and at least hinted that the 21-year-old Cuban could start the year in the big leagues.

“There’s no question that what’s best is we do what is right for him in the long run. He could start anywhere. But we want to assess him and make sure it’s the right place. Maybe it’s in Cincinnati. Maybe it’s somewhere else in our system. Turn him loose. Let him compete and see what he’s all about.”

What’s the The Plan?

“The plan is to get him ready as we do, to get him acclimated to way we do things here both from a throwing perspective and strength and conditioning, which we introduced back in January. We’re going to hone that and improve upon that.

“Then we’re going to get him into ballgames and let him compete. I don’t think there’s any reason to say we’ve got any kind of perimeters on him. We all saw WBC games. We’re looking forward to seeing him in regular games. There’s nothing like watching guys with your own eyes and making assessments where he fits best.”

Price is familiar with Chapman because the two worked together for a week in January. Thursday’s session was more of the same.

“I saw what I’ve seen a few other times before. It’s a live arm and he’s ready to compete. I think this kid could go into a ballgame tomorrow and be ready to compete. He’s extremely athletic. He’s a quick learner. His stuff better now, at least in my opinion, than it was in WBC from a command and delivery standpoint. I’m looking forward to seeing him pitch and learn. He’s going to have to adjust to way the hitters adjust to him. He’s going to have to command the zone consistently and keep himself in good counts.

“There are certain things you can’t answer until he competes . . . there’s a lot of things we don’t know about.”

“Certainly, no one’s in midseason form. One thing we try to do with Aroldis because he comes in with more ballyhoo than our other pitchers – kids that we really like – because he’s from Cuba and comes in with nice signing bonus, we don’t want him to do too much. Spring training is a process. We don’t need to see him throw his best stuff.”

Ramon Hernandez, who caught Chapman, was impressed.

“He throws hard,” Hernandez said. “His command is pretty good. They told he might be a little wild maybe. I was surprised what I saw. He’s got a lot to learn. But he’s got a good change-up, good slider. He needs a little experience. I’m sure the coaches will teach him well. You’re going to see him for a long time if he stays healthy.”

http://cincinnati.com/blogs/reds/2010/02/18/price-hints-chapman-could-start-in-majors/

steig
02-18-2010, 06:10 PM
It's encouraging to read the comments. The main reason why I would support Chapman starting with Cincinnati is that he could get acclimated to the city and life in the majors from the beginning rather than minor league life and then being promoted mid season.

Jpup
02-18-2010, 06:19 PM
The Reds would be nuts to bring him up before the middle of May. Unless I misunderstand his contract, he's starting in Louisville or Carolina.

fearofpopvol1
02-18-2010, 06:31 PM
The Reds would be absolutely nuts to start him in Cincinnati given how long they could control him for and what they would pay for his services.

11larkin11
02-18-2010, 07:02 PM
Good to see Razor Ramon actually likes what he sees, a bit different from our last big name Latin pitcher's first day throwing.

He needs to work on his offspeed stuff. It was his first day, maybe he was trying to impress. But he's a got a good arm. His fastball moves. He's a good real live arm. That's what you need. Put him in the bullpen or whatever.

WMR
02-18-2010, 07:04 PM
It's not happening. Look at his contract. Period.

kbrake
02-18-2010, 07:18 PM
With his contract it really seems like they are just saying all the right things.

Sea Ray
02-18-2010, 07:50 PM
It's not happening. Look at his contract. Period.

A lot is being made of the contract. Basically all the contract says is if he's eligible for arbitration then it will cost the Reds an extra $5mill plus whatever Chapman gets in arbitration or in negotiations with the Reds. If he is a power LH starter in 2013 the Reds will gladly cough up the $5mill and take their chances in arbitration.

As with any young player they'll be watching his arbitration clock. They'd only have to send him out for a few months over the next three years in order to screw up his arbitration status.

I'd be shocked if he was on the 25 man roster on Opening Day but that's because I don't think he's ready for the majors; not because of his contract.

dougdirt
02-18-2010, 07:57 PM
A lot is being made of the contract. Basically all the contract says is if he's eligible for arbitration then it will cost the Reds an extra $5mill plus whatever Chapman gets in arbitration or in negotiations with the Reds. If he is a power LH starter in 2013 the Reds will gladly cough up the $5mill and take their chances in arbitration.
I still think you are misreading the contract as stated by Passan. But if you are right, here is what you are going with:
So lets say that Chapman becomes quite good.... what its really saying is for 6 years the Reds can pay him 30.25M or about 60 (25.5 for the first 3, then probably 35 over the next 3 for arbitration because he is very good). That is a HUGE difference over basically 6 weeks.

Blitz Dorsey
02-18-2010, 08:41 PM
What is Fay talking about? Nowhere in those quotes are there any "hints" that Chapman might begin the year with the Reds. Let's say you didn't know anything about Aroldis Chapman and you just read the above quotes. You would conclude that they were talking about a young pitcher who would likely begin the year in the minor leagues but has an outside shot at making the Big League club. Or maybe I need to brush up on my English.

Fay is light years past awful.

Sea Ray
02-18-2010, 09:04 PM
I still think you are misreading the contract as stated by Passan. But if you are right, here is what you are going with:
So lets say that Chapman becomes quite good.... what its really saying is for 6 years the Reds can pay him 30.25M or about 60 (25.5 for the first 3, then probably 35 over the next 3 for arbitration because he is very good). That is a HUGE difference over basically 6 weeks.

Your example assumes he's Tim Lincecum. Not many folks get $35mill in years 4-6. But if he is Tim Lincecum then yes, I agree with your assessment but as a Reds fan I'm thrilled.

I doubt the Reds think there's much chance he'll turn into Tim Lincecum over night. They know he's got a ways to go.

Sea Ray
02-18-2010, 09:11 PM
What is Fay talking about? Nowhere in those quotes are there any "hints" that Chapman might begin the year with the Reds. Let's say you didn't know anything about Aroldis Chapman and you just read the above quotes. You would conclude that they were talking about a young pitcher who would likely begin the year in the minor leagues but has an outside shot at making the Big League club. Or maybe I need to brush up on my English.

Fay is light years past awful.

I agree. It's hype to say that Chapman may start in the majors. It'd be more accurate to say that Price didn't rule out Chapman starting in the majors.

I learned nothing new by reading that article

OnBaseMachine
02-18-2010, 10:12 PM
Chapman impresses in first day
By C. Trent Rosecrans, CNATI.com Posted February 18, 2010 6:29 PM ET

GOODYEAR, Ariz. -- Reds catcher Ramon Hernandez estimated Aroldis Chapman was throwing "about 96, 97 mph" in his first bullpen session on Thursday.

When told that, Chapman laughed and said he didn't know how hard he threw today, but he never throws 100 percent in a bullpen, but he felt good on Thursday as Reds pitcher and catchers reported and went through their first workout at the new spring training complex.

"I wasn't throwing 100 percent, I was working on some of the things I've been working on to get better, but my bullpen sessions have never been 100 percent," Chapman said through interpreter Tony Fossas, the pitching coach for Class A Dayton.

After Fossas, who was born in Cuba and lived there until he was 10, finished interpreting Chapman's answer added, "it looked like" Chapman was throwing 100 percent.

"I don't know what I threw, but I didn't feel like I was going full-out yet," Chapman said.

Chapman threw about 35 pitches in the 10-minute bullpen session after the team stretched, throwing alongside four other pitchers, none of whom were on last year's team. Veteran Jon Adkins said he knew his No. 81 got in some camera shots.

"I said to the other guys, 'boys, we're going to get some pub today, we're in Chapman's group,'" Adkins said.

Reds manager Dusty Baker and pitching coach Bryan PriceMost of the front office watched as Chapman threw his bullpen session, including manager Dusty Baker, pitching coach Bryan Price and general manager Walt Jocketty.

"I was very impressed with his command," Jocketty said after Chapman's bullpen session. "He was consistent around the strike zone."

Hernandez had also heard that Chapman had control issues, but said he didn't really see much of that on Thursday.

"He throws hard, he threw pretty good," Hernandez said. "I'd heard he was a little wild, but I was impressed with what I saw. He's got a lot to learn, but he's got great velocity, a good changeup and slider, so what he needs is a little experience. I'm sure the coaches will work with him and when he gets his chance you'll see him for a long time if he stays healthy.

Despite that, Hernandez said he'd take the veteran exemption when Chapman throws his first round of live batting practice on Wendesday.

Price said Chapman would throw every other day, with bullpens on Saturday and Monday, before throwing live batting practice on Wednesday, the day after position players report.

"We're going to let him go out and compete. We've all seen the WBC games and we're really looking forward to seeing him pitch in regular games and compete and see what he does," Price said. "There's nothing like watching guys with your own eyes and making assessments on where he fits best. There's no question that the most important thing is that we do what's right for him in the long run. He can start anywhere, but we want to assess him and wherever he starts it's in the right place, maybe it's in Cincinnati, maybe it's someplace else in our system. We're going to turn him loose, let him compete and see what he's all about."

Although Price and Baker said they want to see Chapman pitch as much as possible before they determine where he starts the season, Chapman is hoping to make his professional debut in Cincinnati.

"That decision only comes from the top, but I think I'm very capable and prepared and I've worked hard for this opportunity," Chapman said. "I'm looking forward to the challenge, but I feel I'm more than capable of being a starter in the big leagues for Cincinnati."

http://cnati.com/spring-training-2010/chapman-impresses-in-first-day-001289/

Red Heeler
02-18-2010, 11:34 PM

Doug, the only way the Reds only pay Chapman $30.25 million is if he doesn't become become arbitration eligible before 2014. If he is arb. eligible after 2012, then he gets $5 million and goes into arbitration. If he is arb. eligible after 2013, he gets $3 million and goes into arbitration. This has been reported in multiple sources. Either Passan is mistaken or you are misinterpreting him.

dougdirt
02-18-2010, 11:53 PM
Doug, the only way the Reds only pay Chapman $30.25 million is if he doesn't become become arbitration eligible before 2014. If he is arb. eligible after 2012, then he gets $5 million and goes into arbitration. If he is arb. eligible after 2013, he gets $3 million and goes into arbitration. This has been reported in multiple sources. Either Passan is mistaken or you are misinterpreting him.

I actually found this from AOL Fanhouse (http://mlb.fanhouse.com/2010/01/12/aroldis-chapmans-contract-with-cincinnati-is-complicated/):

But what we learned Tuesday is that the contract voids if Chapman becomes arbitration eligible in 2013, the rest of his deal converts into a $5 million bonus and he goes into the arbitration pool. If he becomes arbitration eligible in 2014, he gets a $3 million bonus and goes into the arbitration pool. That means that if Chapman is as advertised and makes the Reds out of camp (or early this season), he makes his $15 million bonus, $4 million in base salary over his first three seasons, a $5 million bonus for becoming arbitration eligible early, plus whatever he earns over the next three seasons in arbitration.

Considering the arbitration clause and the fact that the option is a player option, the Reds will be paying at least $30 million and at most somewhere in the ballpark of $45 or 50 million for a player that no one really knows much about. If Chapman turns into the next Randy Johnson, it'll be a bargain.

So either way we want to slice it, it would be downright dumb for the Reds to bring him up before June rolls around, right? If this is right, say he comes up in April with the Reds. He gets his $1.5M bonus each year from 2010 until 2020, plus about $4M in salary over his first three seasons while becoming arbitration eligible in all likelihood in 2013, voiding his current deal and making it 24M over those first 3 years + whatever he gets in arbitration for the next three ($15M bonus+4M for the 3 seasons salary+5M bonus for becoming arb eligible). Even if he is an average to slightly above average pitcher over 3 years of arbitration he probably gets something like 5, 7 and 9M for those seasons for a grand total of 6 years and $45M. If he turns out to be as good as we hope (and the Reds I am sure), then we are probably looking at something like 6-9-12 for a total deal of 6 years and 52M.

Or if the Reds keep him down until June 1st he avoids becoming arb eligible in 2013 and the Reds get him for a total of $30.25M over 6 years. Either way, only the rich or absolutely dumb teams would bring him up before then.

Or am I completely missing something in here?

Red Heeler
02-19-2010, 12:31 AM
I actually found this from AOL Fanhouse (http://mlb.fanhouse.com/2010/01/12/aroldis-chapmans-contract-with-cincinnati-is-complicated/):

So either way we want to slice it, it would be downright dumb for the Reds to bring him up before June rolls around, right? If this is right, say he comes up in April with the Reds. He gets his $1.5M bonus each year from 2010 until 2020, plus about $4M in salary over his first three seasons while becoming arbitration eligible in all likelihood in 2013, voiding his current deal and making it 24M over those first 3 years + whatever he gets in arbitration for the next three ($15M bonus+4M for the 3 seasons salary+5M bonus for becoming arb eligible). Even if he is an average to slightly above average pitcher over 3 years of arbitration he probably gets something like 5, 7 and 9M for those seasons for a grand total of 6 years and $45M. If he turns out to be as good as we hope (and the Reds I am sure), then we are probably looking at something like 6-9-12 for a total deal of 6 years and 52M.

Or if the Reds keep him down until June 1st he avoids becoming arb eligible in 2013 and the Reds get him for a total of $30.25M over 6 years. Either way, only the rich or absolutely dumb teams would bring him up before then.

Or am I completely missing something in here?

The way I read it, he gets $30.25 million no matter what happens.

If he is arb. eligible after 2012 then he gets $30.25 plus arb. award in 2013, 2014, and 2015.

If he doesn't become eligible until after 2013, then he gets $30.25 plus arb. award in 2014, 2015, and 2016.

If he doesn't become arb. eligible until after 2014, then he gets $30.25 plus arb. award in 2015, 2016, and 2017.

If his arm becomes detached while throwing tomorrow, he receives $30.25 plus $5 million for the player option in 2015.

Essentially, the Reds are paying Chapman $30.25 million for his pre-arbitration time. It is not nearly the great deal it seemed on the surface.

red-in-la
02-19-2010, 03:57 AM
And how many radar guns break if Bailey, Cueto and Chapman pitch in the first round of the playoffs?

If Chapman does not get hurt, and is a good as the Reds seem to think he is, he is going to be a steal (in today and tomorrow's market) no matter what date he joins the Reds.

TheNext44
02-19-2010, 05:00 AM
I could have this all wrong, but this is how I see Chapman's confusing contract breaking down, assuming he becomes a top of the rotation pitcher:

IF HE IS ARBITRATION ELIGABLE IN 2013

$16M signing bonus paid out over 10 years.
2010 - $1M
2011 - $1M
2012 - $2M
2013 - $11M ($5M bonus + $6M salary)
2014 - $12M ($3M bonus + $9M salary)
2015 - $15M from arbitration
Total - $42M
Plus - $16M signing bonus
Total - $58M

IF HE IS ARBITRATION ELIGABLE IN 2014

2010 - $1M
2011 - $1M
2012 - $2M
2013 - $2M
2014 - $9M ($3M bonus + $6M salary)
2015 - $9M from arbitration (if he is TOR pitcher, he turns down the $5M option)
total - $24M
plus - $16M signing bonus
Total - $40M

So having him pitch before June probably costs the Reds around $18M, if he is a TOR pitcher from 2012 to 2015.

The team should have such worries, but I seriously doubt they will get anywhere near $18M of production from him in those few months as a rookie. The only real reason to bring him up before then is if they think that keeping him in the minors will stunt his development and he needs to face major league pitching now in order to become that TOR starter later. But it's kinda hard to believe that could ever be the case.

icehole3
02-19-2010, 05:09 AM
What if he is Lincecum, you have to make him the ace from day one, right?

Eric_the_Red
02-19-2010, 06:56 AM
I think his contract wording will be a moot point once it is determined he isn't ready for big league action. He'll go to the minors initially not to save money, but to learn how to pitch. I think he has the physical ability, but now needs to work on the mental side of pitching.

Hoosier Red
02-19-2010, 07:10 AM
To be fair to Fay, he doesn't write the headlines.

The problem with this is it creates such huge expectations that now if(when) Chapman has to start in the minors, the 90% of Reds fans who don't bother to be on Redszone, check reds blogs compulsively, etc... will decide that he's a bust.

membengal
02-19-2010, 08:13 AM
Can we keep the Chapman contract discussions to just the one thread, by the way? That discussion is a bit tedious for some, I would imagine, and it has already eaten the other Chapman thread.

A side benefit, by the way, to the Chapman interest, is that Mike Leake will go through his first camp relatively out of the spotlight. And I have high hopes for Mike Leake being a major part of this rotation to start next year. Maybe even by late this year.

Red Heeler
02-19-2010, 08:16 AM
I could have this all wrong, but this is how I see Chapman's confusing contract breaking down, assuming he becomes a top of the rotation pitcher:

IF HE IS ARBITRATION ELIGABLE IN 2013

2010 - $1M
2011 - $1M
2012 - $2M
2013 - $11M ($5M bonus + $6M salary)
2014 - $12M ($3M bonus + $9M salary)
2015 - $15M from arbitration
Total - $42M
Plus - $16M signing bonus
Total - $58M

IF HE IS ARBITRATION ELIGABLE IN 2014

2010 - $1M
2011 - $1M
2012 - $2M
2013 - $2M
2014 - $9M ($3M bonus + $6M salary)
2015 - $9M from arbitration (if he is TOR pitcher, he turns down the $5M option)
total - $24M
plus - $16M signing bonus
Total - $40M

So having him pitch before June probably costs the Reds around $18M, if he is a TOR pitcher from 2012 to 2015.

The team should have such worries, but I seriously doubt they will get anywhere near $18M of production from him in those few months as a rookie. The only real reason to bring him up before then is if they think that keeping him in the minors will stunt his development and he needs to face major league pitching now in order to become that TOR starter later. But it's kinda hard to believe that could ever be the case.

It won't cost them anything to bring him up early. If he is arbitration eligible in 2013, he gets a $5 million bonus that year, but no bonus the following year. If he is not eligible in 2013, he gets $2 million in salary. Then in 2014, if he is eligible, he gets $3 million bonus plus arbitration award. He would then also be arbitration eligible in 2015 and 2016.

The bonus for the Reds for keeping him in the minors until June is that they will still have him under control for 2016. The money paid out will be the same.

membengal
02-19-2010, 08:16 AM
Oh, and as for Chapman, heaven knows I am no expert, or even an experienced amateur observer, but Chapman passes the initial eyeball test for this middle-aged baseball fan. Long, lanky, and with what looks to me to be a rather relatively stress-free delivery. Very nice at first glance. If he is indeed as coachable as the early reports are, there are seeds to be hopeful about here indeed.

flyer85
02-19-2010, 10:41 AM
seeing that his the clock on his days as a Red are ticking then if the Reds believe he is close to ready then let him have a go at it.

REDREAD
02-19-2010, 11:49 AM
Good to see Razor Ramon actually likes what he sees, a bit different from our last big name Latin pitcher's first day throwing.

:lol: I thought of that same quote. I wondered if people would key in on Ramon saying "he's got a lot to learn" :lol:

Chip R
02-19-2010, 02:04 PM
To be fair to Fay, he doesn't write the headlines.

Thank goodness.

Mario-Rijo
02-19-2010, 02:31 PM
The way I read it, he gets $30.25 million no matter what happens.

If he is arb. eligible after 2012 then he gets $30.25 plus arb. award in 2013, 2014, and 2015.

If he doesn't become eligible until after 2013, then he gets $30.25 plus arb. award in 2014, 2015, and 2016.

If he doesn't become arb. eligible until after 2014, then he gets $30.25 plus arb. award in 2015, 2016, and 2017.

If his arm becomes detached while throwing tomorrow, he receives $30.25 plus $5 million for the player option in 2015.

Essentially, the Reds are paying Chapman $30.25 million for his pre-arbitration time. It is not nearly the great deal it seemed on the surface.

It's looking more than ever like 3 years (maybe 4) and dealt if he is as good as we hoped.

OnBaseMachine
02-19-2010, 04:15 PM
Baseball Prospectus is projecting Chapman to post a 4.27 ERA with 93 strikeouts in 72 innings this season. But here's the kicker: they have him in the group of players who could disappoint, saying normally a 4.27 ERA and 11.6 K/9 would be a good rookie season but there are higher expectations for Chapman because of his contract. I don't know about you guys, but if Chapman posts a 4.27 ERA and 11.6 K/9 this year, I'm going to be thrilled. And he's probably going to win the NL Rookie of the Year.

lollipopcurve
02-19-2010, 04:23 PM
Baseball Prospectus is projecting Chapman to post a 4.27 ERA with 93 strikeouts in 72 innings this season. But here's the kicker: they have him in the group of players who could disappoint, saying normally a 4.27 ERA and 11.6 K/9 would be a good rookie season but there are huge expectations for Chapman. I don't know about you guys, but if Chapman posts a 4.27 ERA and 11.6 K/9 this year, I'm going to be thrilled. And he's probably going to win the NL Rookie of the Year.

I don't know about ROY, but I agree that that would be a very nice debut for Chapman.

reds44
02-19-2010, 04:28 PM
I'm just worried he's going to peak too early, and his arm is going to be shot by the time August and September roll around. There's not really a way to prevent that this year, though.

membengal
02-19-2010, 04:36 PM
He's been a year-round pitcher while in Cuba, for the most part, no? That's what I thought I read, anyway. And has actually gotten more rest than usual heading into this camp?

I just don't know that pre-worrying about usage is necessary...

Red Heeler
02-19-2010, 06:21 PM
It's looking more than ever like 3 years (maybe 4) and dealt if he is as good as we hoped.

It isn't too much of a problem if he is really, really good fairly soon. If so, he will make about an extra $30 million in arbitration. Six years of an ace for about $10 million a year ain't bad, though nowhere near the bargain that most thought we were getting when the deal was first announced.

His contract becomes a problem if he develops like Johnny Cueto, good enough that you can't keep him in the minors, but taking a few years to develop into a top of the rotation starter. If it takes him 2-3 years in the majors before he is a TOR starter, then that is a bunch of money to pay for the right to develop him.

dougdirt
02-19-2010, 06:41 PM
He's been a year-round pitcher while in Cuba, for the most part, no? That's what I thought I read, anyway. And has actually gotten more rest than usual heading into this camp?

I just don't know that pre-worrying about usage is necessary...

While his team may have played 'year round' in Cuba, he never threw more than 120 innings in a year.

OnBaseMachine
02-19-2010, 06:42 PM
While his team may have played 'year round' in Cuba, he never threw more than 120 innings in a year.

And he just started pitching about six or seven years ago, so his arm is pretty fresh.

traderumor
02-19-2010, 08:15 PM
Baseball Prospectus is projecting Chapman to post a 4.27 ERA with 93 strikeouts in 72 innings this season. But here's the kicker: they have him in the group of players who could disappoint, saying normally a 4.27 ERA and 11.6 K/9 would be a good rookie season but there are huge expectations for Chapman. I don't know about you guys, but if Chapman posts a 4.27 ERA and 11.6 K/9 this year, I'm going to be thrilled. And he's probably going to win the NL Rookie of the Year.Disappoint who? Reds management? Because that is really the only group that I care about who will be evaluating his performance. Fan expectations don't mean squat.

Scrap Irony
02-19-2010, 08:50 PM
No way a 4.27 ERA with more than 11 K's/9 is in any way disappointing.

Give me that and I'll be one happy guy with Chapman's start to is big league career. (I'd also consider him an early darkhorse for the 2011 Cy Young Award and probably the ace the the new-look Red rotation-- assuming, of course, other pitchers haven't done better.)

OnBaseMachine
02-20-2010, 09:51 PM
Chapman getting comfortable on mound
Rookie hurler works on command during second session
By Jesse Sanchez / MLB.com

02/20/10 3:31 PM EST

GOODYEAR, Ariz. -- Reds rookie Aroldis Chapman threw his second bullpen session of the week Saturday and said he is starting to feel more comfortable each time he goes out on the mound.

"Today was really good. It went fine," Chapman said. "I think the week is getting better as it goes."

Chapman primarily threw four-seam fastballs during his 10-minute session but also mixed in a few sliders, changeups and two-seam fastballs. Veteran catcher Corky Miller caught Chapman's session Saturday. Ramon Hernandez caught Chapman's first bullpen session Thursday.

Class A Dayton pitching coach Tony Fossas and Reds pitching coach Bryan Price stood behind Chapman during the session.

"Everybody knows about his power and everybody knows that he has to work on his command," Miller said. "Today was a command day, where he was going to try to throw it over the plate. I don't know how hard he is throwing. It's hard to tell when a guy is around the zone."

Overall, Chapman said he did not feel as strong as he felt Thursday but is pleased with the progress he is making. He is working on his mechanics, which is normal for pitchers at this point of the season.

"Nobody here is in midseason form," Price said. "He was missing down and away to the left-handed hitters because his shoulder would come open and he'd carry the ball to that side of the plate. But it's a quick adjustment and he understands right away what he needs to do. His aptitude is also what makes him special beyond just his ability to throw the ball."

Chapman will get another chance to show his stuff soon. He is scheduled to throw another bullpen Monday and face live hitters on Wednesday and Saturday. After facing live hitters, he'll likely throw at least one more bullpen before pitching in a game.

"What I'm looking forward to is watching him face live hitters and seeing how he goes about his business and the adjustments he makes when needed," Price said. "I want to see how he handles the running game and anything that happens in a game."

Chapman will be ready.

"I'm feeling a lot more comfortable here," he said. "I'm getting to know my teammates and getting closer to them."

http://cincinnati.reds.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20100220&content_id=8103930&vkey=news_cin&fext=.jsp&c_id=cin