PDA

View Full Version : Reds expect decision from Gomes by Sunday.

Redsfan320
02-19-2010, 11:12 PM
Per MLBTR, Per Fay.

Really hope they get him. If Heisey doesn't work out, imagine Gomes' power platooning with Dickerson's OBP. :thumbup:

Kingspoint
02-20-2010, 03:14 AM
Per MLBTR, Per Fay.

Really hope they get him. If Heisey doesn't work out, imagine Gomes' power platooning with Dickerson's OBP. :thumbup:

That would balance out the Outfield and the Bench.

Vottomatic
02-20-2010, 04:34 AM
I view him as insurance if the young guys don't work out. But if they do, this is a wasted situation, and I'd rather go with Heisey if he does put up good numbers.

ian_madden
02-20-2010, 02:03 PM
I like Gomes, I think he will fit nicely with our other veterans. He is a guy that will step up and pick a fight with someone, we need that on our team. I also think he needs us more than we need him, which is beneficial to us. I say we let the young guys season in AA or AAA 1 more year, Gomes could be the bridge to the next generation. Also, you really cant argue with Gomes body of work last year, he put up really good numbers against lefties. And why would you want Heisey platooning? Let him get plate appearances against both left and right handed pitchers.

Red in Atl
02-20-2010, 03:58 PM
I think it's a total shame that Gomes isn't getting a chance anywhere in baseball, but I have to say that I think he will block progress here for the younger guys, and cause us to spend money, albeit not a lot, but with little pay-off over what would be there anyway for less money. I guess it's a good situation for the Red's, but it does blow for Gomes.

UPRedsFan
02-20-2010, 04:14 PM
We need Gomes. This ensures the young guys Vlad, Frazier, Heisey, Fransisco aren't pushed into playing before they're ready to contribute.

Gomes and Dickerson can platoon until one of the youngsters forces Dusty to make a change. Or Gomes and Nix platoon while Dickerson and Stubbs platoon in center.

BLEEDS
02-20-2010, 04:45 PM
I think he will block progress here for the younger guys, and cause us to spend money, albeit not a lot, but with little pay-off over what would be there anyway for less money.

Who knows how much more than minimum we'll end up paying Gomes if he makes the ML team.

Blocking the youngsters? Probably the best thing for Heisey is to start the year in AAA playing everyday. At most he'd platoon out there in left anyways unless Dickerson really stinks it up.

PEACE

-BLEEDS

1990REDS
02-20-2010, 07:26 PM
I like having gomes as a pinch hitter with some pop from the right side. As long as thats all he is. Dont see him as any type of everyday player.

Redsnake
02-20-2010, 07:49 PM
I really hope he decides to move on. I would rather see someone like Juan Frans., Heisey, Dickerson or Frazier make the club. All would provide better defense than Gomes and save money. Just my opinion.

UPRedsFan
02-20-2010, 08:22 PM
Disagree.

There's a chance we have the best pitching in the division. With a little offense the Reds could contend. We need Gomes' power in left field. I love the young talent, but we don't want to depend on Heisey or Frazier. Gomes hit 20 bombs last year and Nix 15. That needs to be the left field situation until a young guy forces his way onto the field.

Newman4
02-20-2010, 08:31 PM
So who are your five OFers for opening day?

Redsfan320
02-20-2010, 08:41 PM

Mine: Gomes, Stubbs, Bruce, Francisco, and 1 of many, many, many, many, MANY people currently under the team's control.

Newman4
02-20-2010, 08:54 PM
I think Stubbs, Bruce, Dickerson, Gomes and either Nix or Balentein.

Redsfan320
02-20-2010, 09:19 PM
Forget all those "many"s. I knew I was forgetting Dickerson. With that:

Gomes, Stubbs, Dickerson, Bruce, Francisco (but maybe Heisey, Frazier, Alonso, Nix, [preferably not Balentin])

UPRedsFan
02-20-2010, 10:45 PM
Bruce, Stubbs, Dickerson, Gomes, Nix

CRedsLarkin11
02-21-2010, 12:21 AM

I agree and I would probably rather have Balentien but I think it'll be Nix

BLEEDS
02-21-2010, 01:40 AM

Forget all those "many"s. I knew I was forgetting Dickerson. With that:

Gomes, Stubbs, Dickerson, Bruce, Francisco (but maybe Heisey, Frazier, Alonso, Nix, [preferably not Balentin])

You've got to think, unless Balentein truly falls of the face of the planet, he makes the team. The coaches love him, and he pretty much impressed at the end of the season. He has no more options, so he's going to have to be beaten out, convincingly, to be sent packing to waivers.

I think Nix is the guy who has to impress significantly to make this roster. We have a number of OF candidates, and he seems to be the odd-guy out. I think his handedness gives him an advantage since we don't really have another LH-er off the bench unless Dickerson is riding pine that day.

With Gomes in the mix now, I see Bruce, Stubbs, Dickerson, Gomes, and Balentein as pretty much Stone Cold Lead Pipe Locks.

PEACE

-BLEEDS

nemesis
02-21-2010, 12:26 PM
With Gomes in the mix now, I see Bruce, Stubbs, Dickerson, Gomes, and Balentein as pretty much Stone Cold Lead Pipe Locks.

PEACE

-BLEEDS

I agree. But this bench will make Duuuhsty's head hurt. Balentien will have to be the LH part of the LF platoon as a RH. Which I dunno if Dusty can compute...

I see him using or misusing Balentien against LHP's as a pinch hitter and just giving away outs...

Also what kind of camp can we expect now from the kids? They all know they have virtually no chance of making the team. Guys like Heisey, Frazier and Francisco I thought all had legitimate shots... Heisey was given the #1 spot in LF in the offseason. Does the acquiring of Gomes signal a lack of faith?

To me the team seems to be shooting for the postseason this year. With next year being a semi rebuilding year. Probably having to deal away at least a handful of guys in the minors. Quite frankly Valakia, Frazier, Alonso, Heisey, Francisco, Cozart, Dorn and Denove will all be ML ready. So some deals will have to be made...

Redsfan320
02-21-2010, 02:10 PM
Now Walt's promised that "We'll know something by tomorrow."

JayBruceFan
02-21-2010, 02:10 PM
My 5 Opening Day OFs are:

Stubbs, Bruce, Dickerson, Gomes and Balentein.

malcontent
02-21-2010, 04:39 PM

Yeah. I agree with that.

malcontent
02-21-2010, 04:43 PM
Guys like Heisey, Frazier and Francisco I thought all had legitimate shots.
I think Frazier has a pretty good shot, initially as a utility IF.

Francisco can use the AAA time to work on pitch selection and LF. IMO, it really wouldn't hurt him to learn to play some 1B, as well.

Heisey is gonna need to put up some legit numbers in AAA.

UPRedsFan
02-21-2010, 05:51 PM
I don't understand the fascination with Balentein?

He's got a career OBP below .300. He had 100 decent ab's for the Reds last year.

If he has a great sping, bring him north. But if anyone outplays him, Walt should cut him loose. He's 26 this year and if he hasn't figured it out yet, we don't have time or room to be patient for him. I'd rather have Nix as a veteran left handed hitter off the bench.

markymark69
02-21-2010, 10:58 PM
I really can't believe it has taken this long. What is Gomes waiting on? I know he is probably upset that he didn't get a major league offer or a tendered deal from the Reds, but it's not like other teams are beating down his door to sign him or it doesn't appear that way.

I like what he did last year and he should get another shot with the Reds --- it's almost a mortal lock that he makes the team if they sign him, which again points to what is the deal?

If he doesn't sign tomorrow, I say forget it. Just please make it stop and sign already.

Mr Larkin
02-22-2010, 04:01 AM
Gomes, in my way of thinking, is more of an insurane policy. You may not have to use him, but he is there just in case. I believe that the youngsters are on the verge, but I don't know if any will break away from the pack in ST.

Kingspoint
02-22-2010, 04:39 AM
I think Nix is the guy who has to impress significantly to make this roster. We have a number of OF candidates, and he seems to be the odd-guy out. I think his left-handedness gives him an advantage since we don't really have another LH-er off the bench unless Dickerson is riding pine that day.

With Hanigan a RH, Janish a RH, Owings a RH, Balentien a RH, that's too many RH's.

Sutton is a SH and Miles is a SH, as one of those two should make the team. That almost ensures that the other player is going to be a LH, unless Balentien gets traded.

Sutton played 1B, 2B, 3B, SS, RF & LF last year for the REDS and Louisville.

With him as a Switch-hitter, it's possible that Miles even makes the team, too, and if Gomes is signed, then they have 2 Switch-Hitters on the bench and Dickerson on the bench for half of the games in a semi-platoon with Gomes, but Dickerson basically becomes the 4th Outfielder.

Assuming we add Gomes I could see:

S-Sutton UI/UO (For getting on base and playing any defensive position, but CF.
L-Dickerson OF (For SB's and getting on base and playing all 3 OF positions)
R-Hanigan C (For average and getting on base and backup Catcher)
R-Janish SS (For backup Defense at SS; seems like a waste since he's not needed to backup 2B, and he's not likely to play any 3B for late-inning Defensive replacement, though he could and he should)
L-Nix OF (For LH-Power, and better defense than Gomes; also easy to replace in mid-season in case Heisey, Dorn, or Alonso force their way into the Majors)
R-Owings P (Owings is the RH-Power bat off the bench, though he remains a pitcher)

Though young, Balentien gets traded or released, unless he has a great Spring and Nix doesn't do well. Miles doesn't make the team. Heisey plays full-time at AAA.

That's 13 regulars, and 11 Pitchers with Owings as one of the pitchers. Janish is the weakest link "as a Bench" player, as he doesn't offer speed, power or average, and doesn't play enough positions defensively. He'd be better for the team as a starter where he could bat 8th and his Defense could be used every inning. Cabrera, at least offers average.

PhatHead
02-22-2010, 09:22 AM
I bet Gomes the the Reds have agreed on the base salary and years of a contract and are just hammering out some details like player/team options and maybe some incentives.