PDA

View Full Version : Podcasts - Which Ones Do You Listen To?

MWM
02-20-2010, 10:28 PM
I'm looking to add a few good podcasts to my library for all my time in the car and at the gym. Which ones do you like and why?

Disclaimer: in the spirit of the board's policies, I'd prefer if folks steered clear of political ones. I have no use for them as it is and I'd rather not get the thread derailed.

MilotheMayor
02-20-2010, 10:40 PM
NPR's All Songs Considered

Especially their live concert series is especially excellent.

Razor Shines
02-21-2010, 01:04 AM
I Love Movies - Doug Benson

Never Not Funny - Jimmy Pardo

The Ricky Gervais Podcast - Ricky Gervais

Comedy Death-Ray Radio - Scott Aukerman

MWM
02-21-2010, 01:34 AM
I Love Movies - Doug Benson

Never Not Funny - Jimmy Pardo

The Ricky Gervais Podcast - Ricky Gervais

Comedy Death-Ray Radio - Scott Aukerman

I've thought about the Rick Gervais one. I'm a big fan of his most of the time.

Redsfaithful
02-21-2010, 09:04 AM
The Dave Ramsey Show
This American Life
The BS Report With Bill Simmons

I really haven't looked for too much else as I don't have a ton of time for podcasts, and these three fill the time I do have pretty adequately. I really only listen to Simmons during football season or if he does something on pop culture that I care about.

SunDeck
02-21-2010, 11:00 AM
Dinner Party Download
Planet Money

Eric_the_Red
02-21-2010, 11:02 AM
Sports:
CNati
ESPN Fantasy Focus Football
ESPN Fantasy Focus Baseball
MLB.com Fantasy 411
The BS Report

Faith:
Desiring God Sermon Audio
Mars Hill Church: Mark Driscoll Audio
North Point Ministries: Andy Stanley
The RELEVANT Podcast
The Village Church - Sermon Audio

Misc:
The Ricky Gervais Podcast

Also, I have hosted a podcast about all things Disney for over four years now. The show is called Mouse Guest Weekly, and along with my wife and a buddy, we discuss the Disney parks, movies, business, etc.

Unassisted
02-21-2010, 02:00 PM
MacBreak Weekly

If you're into technology but not a Mac user, the company that produces it has some other very good technology podcasts at http://twit.tv

OldRightHander
02-21-2010, 04:30 PM
Mostly Christian ministries, the main one being Stand To Reason with Greg Koukl.

redsmetz
02-21-2010, 05:50 PM
NPR's All Songs Considered

Especially their live concert series is especially excellent.

Thanks for the tip on that one. I downloaded a concert with Ray Davies of the Kinks doing their songs with a chorale group. Haven't had a chance to listen to it yet.

bigredbunter
02-21-2010, 10:08 PM
John Hodgeman's "It Happened Today, in the Past"

Short and punchy...Caters to the Slate Magazine demographic. Cracks me up.

RedsManRick
02-21-2010, 10:17 PM
Sports
The BS Report
Baseball Prospectus Radio
FanGraphs Baseball
MLB Fantasy 411
Redleg Nation Radio

Non-Sports
The Adam Corolla Podcast
EconTalk
Freakonomics Radio
This American Life
this WEEK in TECH
37signals Podcast

marcshoe
02-21-2010, 10:39 PM
Besides a couple of faith-based podcast, mostly by people I'm familiar with, including one of my old professors, I've just subscribed to Bob Edwards' podcast. A couple of good shows lately--one with Daniel Ellsberg, the other with a woman who wrote a book on a woman who died in the fifties, but whose cells multiply in ways that haven't yet been explained. Her cells have been used for research ever since, everything from testing the polio vaccine to (shades of Mengele) injecting her cancer cells into unsuspecting patients to see what happened.

oneupper
02-21-2010, 11:12 PM
Stuff You Should Know.

Recent episodes include:

What is the Amish?
Will the Large Hadron Collider destroy the Earth?
and random stuff like that..

Funny and informative

IowaRed
02-22-2010, 09:45 AM
Never Not Funny-Jimmy Pardo

on a side note the guy who runs the cameras on the podcast, Andrew Koenig, who also played "Boner" on the Kirk Cameron/Alan Thicke sitcom "Growing Pains" is missing. He is also the son of actor Walter Koenig, who played Chekov on the original Star Trek series

http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/gossip/2010/02/growing-pains-actor-andrew-koenig-missing.html

Strikes Out Looking
02-22-2010, 09:47 PM
The Tony Kornheiser show, its found at

http://www.espn980.com/audiovault/

klw
02-22-2010, 11:18 PM
I downloaded an NPR podcast for the first time on Sunday. It played fine on my computed but Itunes would not let me transfer it tow my I POD- 2nd generation shffle. It said I was not authorized to do so. Any suggestions?

deltachi8
02-22-2010, 11:34 PM
The BS Report - Bill Simmons

WDW Today - A Disney Trip Planning/New podcast 3x week

WDW Radio - Lou Mongello (Disney world related 1x week)

wolfboy
02-23-2010, 11:01 AM
Besides a couple of faith-based podcast, mostly by people I'm familiar with, including one of my old professors, I've just subscribed to Bob Edwards' podcast. A couple of good shows lately--one with Daniel Ellsberg, the other with a woman who wrote a book on a woman who died in the fifties, but whose cells multiply in ways that haven't yet been explained. Her cells have been used for research ever since, everything from testing the polio vaccine to (shades of Mengele) injecting her cancer cells into unsuspecting patients to see what happened.

I believe this is the book/author from the podcast. Very interesting subject.

http://www.amazon.com/Immortal-Life-Henrietta-Lacks/dp/1400052173/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1266937313&sr=8-1

Sea Ray
02-23-2010, 06:46 PM
The Tony Kornheiser show, its found at

http://www.espn980.com/audiovault/

Is Tony Kornheiser still doing radio? I thought he'd given up radio

Strikes Out Looking
02-26-2010, 03:08 PM
Is Tony Kornheiser still doing radio? I thought he'd given up radio

He's been back since the Fall--10 to 12 am in DC.

Sea Ray
02-26-2010, 03:34 PM
He's been back since the Fall--10 to 12 am in DC.

Cool. Can you tell me which channel? Maybe they're available on Wi Fi radio.

George Anderson
02-27-2010, 11:48 AM

I just bought a wifi receiver and it is beyond cool. I can listen to radio or podcasts whether in Ireland, California or Russia all withing the matter of seconds.

http://www.sjgreatdeals.com/sngwft1.html

improbus
02-27-2010, 11:56 AM
BS Report
NBA today - Ryen Russillo is fantastic on this show
Adam Carolla Podcast (sometimes)
I Love Movies
Indiefeed (all genre whenever possible)
The Bugle (w John Oliver from the Daily Show - very British and with more puns than you could possibly imagine)
The History of Rome (a necessity for a Latin Teacher)
Many Various Language Learning Podcasts
ESPN Soccernet
EPL Talk (not many of the interviews, just the recaps)
Norman Centuries/Byzantine Rulers (by Lars Brownsworth)
The Club Trillion Podcast
Spider and The Henchman

Strikes Out Looking
02-27-2010, 04:52 PM

I don't know about that--his station is found at http://www.espn980.com, they do stream it as well as podcasting it.

thorn
02-27-2010, 09:22 PM
I'm currently trying to learn some Spanish, so I downloaded Coffee Break Spanish, radio lingua. They have other languages as well, like French, etc. I got it straight from the app store on my iPod touch. They are broken down into 20-30 minute lessons, really good stuff.

marcshoe
06-06-2010, 01:42 AM
Bumping this to say i'm going podcast crazy right now. The best one i've found is Dan Carlin's Hardcore History, with the Apache Tears episode being the most compelling. I'm downloading a bunch right now, and am particularly looking forward to a podcast of norse eddas and sagas.

lidspinner
06-06-2010, 02:19 AM
The NORML daily audio stash

marcshoe
09-18-2010, 11:28 PM
Sports:
CNati
ESPN Fantasy Focus Football
ESPN Fantasy Focus Baseball
MLB.com Fantasy 411
The BS Report

Faith:
Desiring God Sermon Audio
Mars Hill Church: Mark Driscoll Audio
North Point Ministries: Andy Stanley
The RELEVANT Podcast
The Village Church - Sermon Audio

Misc:
The Ricky Gervais Podcast

Also, I have hosted a podcast about all things Disney for over four years now. The show is called Mouse Guest Weekly, and along with my wife and a buddy, we discuss the Disney parks, movies, business, etc.

I knew someone had mentioned the Relevant podcast, and I just wanted to note that they read my question response at the end of the podcast this week. I'm the one (marcshoe, also my old cincy.com board name) who wanted to pay money to find out government secrets (which politicians were giant marionettes, etc.)

BillDoran
09-21-2010, 12:00 PM
Bat Segundo - Great author interviews with big name authors paired with book snark. I find Edward Champion entertaining.

GIDP
09-21-2010, 12:16 PM
Not to get off topic but what programs do you guys use for downloading podcast and putting them onto your ipod.

I dont use Itunes because that program is awful.

Eric_the_Red
09-21-2010, 02:03 PM
I knew someone had mentioned the Relevant podcast, and I just wanted to note that they read my question response at the end of the podcast this week. I'm the one (marcshoe, also my old cincy.com board name) who wanted to pay money to find out government secrets (which politicians were giant marionettes, etc.)

Haven't listened to this week's show yet, but I'll keep an ear out for your response. :thumbup:

Eric_the_Red
09-21-2010, 02:04 PM
Not to get off topic but what programs do you guys use for downloading podcast and putting them onto your ipod.

I dont use Itunes because that program is awful.

I use iTunes because it is.....um, not awful?

OldRightHander
09-21-2010, 02:58 PM
I have an ipod touch. I just download them from itunes straight to the ipod instead of downloading them on the computer and transferring them.