PDA

View Full Version : Sparky Anderson on mend after hospital stay

OnBaseMachine
02-21-2010, 08:54 PM
Anderson recovering from kidney illness
By Mark Saxon
ESPNLosAngeles.com

Hall of Fame manager Sparky Anderson is recuperating at his Thousand Oaks home after spending 12 days in the hospital with a kidney-related illness.

Anderson, who turns 76 Monday, said doctors told him the illness was caused by an unidentified substance that passed through his kidneys. He took a 12-day course of antibiotics and is feeling better.

"I did well and I didn't think when you get this old, you can do well," Anderson said. "They have no idea what it was and I hope they never find out either."

Anderson has generally stayed away from baseball since he retired as a color analyst on Angels broadcasts after the 1997 season.

"I knew right then that I'd never go back to the ballpark again and I never have," Anderson said. "If I'm driving in the car and a game comes on the radio, I turn it off."

Angels manager Mike Scioscia has invited him to join the team in Tempe, Ariz., but Anderson has declined.

Anderson said the presence of performance-enhancing drugs in the game has nothing to do with his avoidance of baseball.

"I will say this: It's a little unusual that these athletes, some of them, get this awful big. Gosh dang! Is it they're just big and they're strong and they eat better than we did?" Anderson said. "I don't know, but I know this: I'm not out there to blame them."

Anderson won more than 4,000 games and three World Series titles over a 27-year career managing the Cincinnati Reds and Detroit Tigers.

http://sports.espn.go.com/los-angeles/mlb/news/story?id=4934333

redsmetz
02-21-2010, 09:00 PM
Anderson won more than 4,000 games and three World Series titles over a 27-year career managing the Cincinnati Reds and Detroit Tigers.

That would be managed over 4000 games; he won 2194 as a manager.

camisadelgolf
02-21-2010, 09:13 PM
That would be managed over 4000 games; he won 2194 as a manager.
Maybe they decided to include spring training, post season, and exhibition games?

Sea Ray
02-21-2010, 09:29 PM
That's kind of sad that he wants nothing to do with baseball anymore. That sounds unusual that a guy who spent his life in the game now won't even listen on the radio.

mth123
02-21-2010, 09:45 PM
That's kind of sad that he wants nothing to do with baseball anymore. That sounds unusual that a guy who spent his life in the game now won't even listen on the radio.

Sounds like a guy who has a life. He retired from his job and now wants to spend his remaining time on other things.

I feel the same way about my job.

Bob Borkowski
02-21-2010, 10:44 PM
Anderson recovering from kidney illness
By Mark Saxon
ESPNLosAngeles.com

Anderson, who turns 76 Monday, said doctors told him the illness was caused by an unidentified substance that passed through his kidneys.

"They have no idea what it was and I hope they never find out either."

I can't figure how to make sense of this part of the article, especially Sparky's quote. Why would he hope that they never find out what the cause of his difficulty was?

camisadelgolf
02-21-2010, 10:54 PM
I can't figure how to make sense of this part of the article, especially Sparky's quote. Why would he hope that they never find out what the cause of his difficulty was?
I took that to mean that if they could figure out what it was, he would be forced to deal with it. As long as it's a mystery, he doesn't need to bother with any kind of treatment.

BCubb2003
02-21-2010, 11:11 PM
He was always kind of like that, the lovable illogical manager. Sort of Casey Stengel Lite.

chicoruiz
02-22-2010, 07:54 AM
And today's his birthday...have a great one, Skip!

Roy Tucker
02-22-2010, 08:35 AM

I love Sparky, but he was never one to make 100% sense.

Lots of times, he'd say something and I'd just scratch my head saying "what?".

Sea Ray
02-22-2010, 09:56 AM
Sounds like a guy who has a life. He retired from his job and now wants to spend his remaining time on other things.

I feel the same way about my job.

Your job probably isn't as fun as managing in the big leagues. If you were a terribly successful major league manager would you still feel that way?

The other end of the spectrum is Oscar Robertson who is seen courtside for most every UC homegame

westofyou
02-22-2010, 10:03 AM
I love Sparky, but he was never one to make 100% sense.

Lots of times, he'd say something and I'd just scratch my head saying "what?".

Yep, he's not known for his sense making statements.

I also know from what I've read about him that the game gave him as much personal and physical issues/life pondering as it gave him joy, the fact that he prefers to not hang out on the field or the park is hardly a surprise for a 76 year old guy.

Sea Ray
02-22-2010, 09:10 PM
I also know from what I've read about him that the game gave him as much personal and physical issues/life pondering as it gave him joy, the fact that he prefers to not hang out on the field or the park is hardly a surprise for a 76 year old guy.

I agree about coming out to the ballpark but listening to it on the radio? He's flat out avoiding baseball

bucksfan2
02-23-2010, 08:23 AM
I agree about coming out to the ballpark but listening to it on the radio? He's flat out avoiding baseball

If you worked your entire one life in a certain industry, when you retired wouldn't you want to avoid that industry?

Sea Ray
02-23-2010, 09:04 AM
If you worked your entire one life in a certain industry, when you retired wouldn't you want to avoid that industry?

Depends on the industry. Can you imagine Pete Rose saying he wouldn't even listen to a MLB game? And he honestly would have a reason to chuck it all.

BCubb2003
02-23-2010, 09:19 AM
It might be the kind of thing where if he listens, he can't help but get into the game and gets agitated, which isn't good for his health.

Chip R
02-23-2010, 09:23 AM
It might be the kind of thing where if he listens, he can't help but get into the game and gets agitated, which isn't good for his health.

That might be it.

WebScorpion
02-24-2010, 10:25 PM

That was the way I took it too. I think even listening to games causes him to get frustrated that the manager isn't doing things Sparky's way and he gets frustrated. There's no way he could watch Dusty manage...even I want to wring the guy's neck and I don't know a tenth of what Sparky knows about managing.

GAC
02-25-2010, 04:52 AM

Tell him to stay off the game threads then! :p:

RichRed
02-25-2010, 09:26 AM
That was the way I took it too. I think even listening to games causes him to get frustrated that the manager isn't doing things Sparky's way and he gets frustrated. There's no way he could watch Dusty manage...even I want to wring the guy's neck and I don't know a tenth of what Sparky knows about managing.

Sparky would've driven RedsZone crazy, changing pitchers in the middle of an at-bat, for example.

WebScorpion
02-25-2010, 09:49 PM
Sparky would've driven RedsZone crazy, changing pitchers in the middle of an at-bat, for example.

I absolutely agree with that. Sparky was never one to go by the book. He was massively superstitious and made many moves by his 'gut feeling'. He was constantly driving my grandpa into a froth. I loved him because all I saw was the success...I didn't really delve into the logic of it at that age.

GAC
02-26-2010, 04:26 AM
They didn't call him Captain Hook for nothing. ;)