PDA

View Full Version : Redszone Dynasty League 2010 -- Season 2

AtomicDumpling
02-22-2010, 01:09 AM
Welcome to the second season of the Redszone Dynasty League!

All 12 managers from last year have returned to play again this year. I can say from experience that is very unusual in the realm of fantasy sports. It is a testament to the dedication of the managers and the structure of the league.

Last year was a tight struggle all year long. The competition was stiff, yet sportsmanship carried the day. Everybody was friendly and active. Strategies were well-planned, diverse and cunning. Some managers opted for "win now" mode while others built the foundations of a long-term dynasty.

Let's make this season as successful as the first season. As the league evolves it will be interesting to observe the dynasty dynamics as young players mature and older players decline. Our teams are mostly the same as last year, but there will be key differences too. A tantalizing new crop of prospects has burst onto the scene, but meanwhile some well-known players have reached the end of their careers. Some players have moved to new MLB homes via trade or free agency. Others have seen their roles change. It is time to evaluate our squads and adapt to the changing circumstances. Without a redraft trades will be more important than ever.

I encourage everyone to post their thoughts in this thread. It adds a lot of fun to a league when the managers actively discuss the league, debate strategies, negotiate trades, bemoan their misfortunes, talk smack, brag about their successes, commiserate with the bottom dwellers and congratulate the fortunate.

AtomicDumpling
02-22-2010, 01:26 AM
I will post the mostly complete rules here just so we have them in a convenient location for easy consultation. If I missed any rules please let me know. Like we did last year, if anyone has any suggested rules changes please send them to me or post them in this thread. Near the end of the season we can discuss them, then conduct a leaguewide vote. If a rule change is voted in by a majority it will be enacted for the following season.

Yahoo 5x5 Roto standard settings
12 Teams
Mixed League (NL & AL players)
Dynasty Keeper league
30 roster slots + 3 disabled list slots
Max Teams: 12
Scoring Type: Rotisserie
Player Universe: All baseball
New Players Become Available: As soon as Yahoo! adds them
Max Moves: No maximum
Max Trades: No maximum
Trade End Date: August 29, 2010
Waiver Time: 2 days
Waiver Type: Continual rolling list
Can't Cut List Provider: Yahoo! Sports
Trade Review: Commissioner
Post Draft Players: Follow Waiver Rules
Max Games Played: 162
Max Innings Pitched: 1350
Weekly Deadline: Daily - Tomorrow
Start Scoring on: Monday, Mar 29
Roster Positions: C, 1B, 2B, 3B, SS, IF, OF, OF, OF, Util, Util, SP, SP, RP, RP, P, P, P, P, BN, BN, BN, BN, BN, BN, BN, BN, BN, BN, BN, DL, DL, DL
Batters Stat Categories: Runs(R), Home Runs(HR), Runs Batted In(RBI), Stolen Bases(SB), Batting Average(AVG)
Pitchers Stat Categories: Wins(W), Saves(SV), Strikeouts(K), Earned Run Average(ERA), Walks+Hits/IP(WHIP)

Season 1 Draft rules:
1.You have 10 hours to make your pick. If you have not placed your pick within 10 hours, the next player can go ahead and post his pick. You do not lose your pick. You can still make your pick as soon as you return to the website.
2. After you make your pick please email the next player to let him know it is his turn. This will speed up the draft. To send the email click on "Email League" at the top of any league page. Then click on the next player and send him a message.
3. Yahoo will add players to the database after the draft has begun. Any player that is not available in the list at the time of the first pick of the draft will not be eligible to be drafted for the duration of the draft. Those players will be available on waivers after the draft. This rule is to make sure all team owners have an equal shot at all players. The commissioner will keep a list of all players ineligible to be drafted.
4. To make your pick just post your draftee's name on the league message board like this: round.pick Player Name (1.1 Johan Santana or 5.12 Jay Bruce) Then you can add the player to your team by selecting him from the Free Agent list.
5.If you ask someone else to post your pick or your draftee is on waivers the commissioner will add your player to your team page as soon as possible. Before you pick, make sure the player has not already been drafted.
6. You can trade draft picks. The only pick you can't trade is the one that is "on the clock". We learned from experience that can cause long delays.
7. The draft will be a snake draft. Even-numbered rounds will be the reverse of 1st round. Odd-numbered rounds will be the same order as round 1.
8. If you have two consecutive draft picks you do NOT get two time slots before being skipped. For example, if you have the last pick of round 1 and the first pick of round 2 (picks 1.12 and 2.1) you only have 10 hours total to make both picks. If you have not made your picks within 10 hours of the time pick 1.11 was posted then the owner of pick 2.2 can skip you and post his pick.
9. Multiple picks can be skipped. For example, 10 hours have elapsed since pick 4.3 was posted so pick 4.4 is skipped and pick 4.5 is on the clock. If 10 hours later pick 4.5 has not been posted then he is skipped and pick 4.6 is on the clock.

Season 1 Waiver Priority:
The waiver priority for season 1 will be the reverse of the 1st round draft order.

Season 2+ Draft:
The draft will be a snake draft consisting of five rounds. Draft order will be the reverse of prior year's standings. You may not exceed the roster size limit. If you are at the limit when it is your turn to draft you must drop a player before you can draft a player. The dropped player will become draftable immediately -- the next team owner in the draft may select the droppped player without waiting for him to clear waivers. Players added to the Yahoo player pool after the draft begins are not eligible to be drafted and will be placed on waivers after the draft is over. When all five rounds are completed, the commissioner will set a date and time when all undrafted players will be eligible to be added on a first come, first served basis.

Season 2+ Waiver Priority:
Waiver priority will be set as the reverse of the prior year's standings.

Trade Protests:
Trades can be protested only if cheating or collusion is suspected. Trades may not be protested due to being unbalanced, lopsided or stupid. If a trade is protested both owners may state their reasons for making the trade before a decision is made. If after the explanations anyone in the league suspects cheating or collusion then an annonymous vote will be held and 6 or more votes against the trade will nullify it. Owners involved in the trade do not vote, even if they have changed their mind about the trade.

Procedure to prevent tanking, negligence and abandonment:
In order to keep the league fair, competitive and fun we need to ensure all owners pay attention all season long and try to field the best team they can every day. On occasions where an owner's attention wanes it is the commissioner's duty to urge that owner to do a better job. Of course there are justifiable reasons why an owner may neglect his team for a couple days (vacation, sickness etc) so there will be reminders and warnings before resorting to sanctions. If an owner leaves injured players or minor leaguers in his starting lineup or leaves star players on his bench for more than a few days the following process will be initiated:
1st occurence -- A polite reminder will be sent
2nd occurence -- A polite reminder will be sent
3rd occurence -- A warning will be sent
4th occurence -- Offending owner's waiver priority will be set to 12
5th occurence -- Offending owner will lose his 1st round draft pick the following year
6th occurence -- Offending owner will not be invited back the following year

In the event an owner quits mid-season the commissioner must:
1. Appoint a replacement owner if technically possible, or if not
2. He must replace injured/demoted players in the starting lineup with the highest ranked player available on the team at that position. If no player on the team can fill the position the highest ranked free agent must be added and the worst player dropped. Any disputes must be voted on leaguewide. No trades can be made.

AtomicDumpling
02-25-2010, 04:17 AM
What do you guys think about starting the draft around March 15th? Seems like that would allow us to see what happens in the first 3+ weeks of Spring Training, yet still have plenty of time to complete the five-round draft before opening day.

camisadelgolf
02-25-2010, 10:59 AM
Sounds good to me.

Stephenk29
02-26-2010, 12:15 AM
Anywa we could push that to the 17th? I coach high schools baseball, my schedule is getting nasty.

AtomicDumpling
02-26-2010, 01:26 AM
Anywa we could push that to the 17th? I coach high schools baseball, my schedule is getting nasty.

OK. When it starts getting close to mid-March we can pinpoint the exact day to start.

cinredsfan2000
02-26-2010, 09:33 PM
17th would be better for me also .

AtomicDumpling
02-26-2010, 09:43 PM
17th would be better for me also .

Well that is two votes for starting the 17th. It is fine with me. I just pulled the 15th out of a hat really. Starting the 17th should still give us plenty of time to complete 5 rounds before Opening Day.

mbgrayson
02-28-2010, 11:31 AM
Either way works for me.

gilpdawg
03-09-2010, 03:17 AM
I might be willing to talk about trading up in the draft, if anybody wants to make an offer. But I'm not going to do anything stupid, either. :)

redsfandan
03-09-2010, 05:32 AM
I might be willing to talk about trading up in the draft, if anybody wants to make an offer. But I'm not going to do anything stupid, either. :)
+ 1

I would also be open to dealing a couple arms for one better one.

gilpdawg
03-09-2010, 07:31 AM
+ 1

I would also be open to dealing a couple arms for one better one.
Welllll...I do need some bullpen help. Specifically, saves.

redsfandan
03-15-2010, 09:33 AM
I know this is a little late but there's still a couple days left before draft day.

Anyway, there was a discussion about whether the draft should be a snake draft or a straight draft back in September but only half the league participated in the discussion and there was never a formal vote. I'd like to revisit the topic and for the league to have a vote on it now and I'll state my reasons why.

Like Atomic Dumpling said at the time, snake drafts are NEARLY universal. and he's right. BUT that's for redraft (one year) leagues and the 1st year of keeper leagues. I recently created a poll on another message board asking whether a snake draft or straight draft should be used for a keeper league when it ISN'T the initial draft. 75%+ of the votes ended up being for a straight draft. This was one of the responses:

Yup, just to be clear - if the league is the original dynasty format (where you keep *every* player), the only way to achieve some sort of opportunity for cellar dwellars to improve (and it will still take a while) is to do a straight draft. A snake draft implies teams are fairly if not totally equal to start the season (redraft leagues or year 1 of a dynasty league).

In keeper leagues where there are a lot of new players drafted, as the gap isn't nearly as wide between the best & worst, a snake draft can be justified.

I suspect those who voted snake may be referring to keeper leagues with a lot of players still left to be drafted (but their keepers can be kept perpetually - which is where the dynasty term gets thrown around - but it isn't the original dynasty format). To be clear, the original dynasty format is *every player on your team is kept forever*, and the new draft each year is only for WW players or more importantly, MILB players who enter the draft system.

When you get to a true dynasty setup where all teams keep all their players, the draft consists of MILB players or WW reclamation projects - straight draft is the only way to provide some real means of giving the lower half of teams some hope to rebuild. If you want a league to thrive long-term, it's hard to see a snake draft helping out the bottom-half teams enough to keep their interest.

Hope that helps,

The fact is that one of the main ways that the weaker teams have to get stronger is through the draft. and a snake draft doesn't help them anymore than it helps the strong teams. And the strong teams don't need the help as much as the weak teams. If we really want this to remain a healthy, competitive league long-term I think those weak teams should have a chance to get back to respectability. A straight draft does that. A snake draft would help the strong teams more than a straight draft would so it would be easier for those strong teams to stay at the top. And I think the strong teams should have to work just as hard as everyone else and not have it easy. And if I remember correctly, Atomic Dumpling also said that he wanted to try to have this league be as realistic as possible. But none of the major sports (MLB, NFL, NBA,) use a snake draft. I think there's a reason for that.

Atomic also said that ...

The snake draft is nearly universal in fantasy leagues. I don't expect the short draft to have much influence on the balance of power in our league. The only players available will be the ones that are not good enough to be on a team now plus a small number of minor leaguers. Remember that most minor leaguers are either already available now or are added during the season by Yahoo using the waiver system. Most prospects are added to the Yahoo player pool when they get called up for a September cup of coffee in the big leagues. I am guessing (based on prior seasons using Yahoo) that only a half dozen top prospects at most will be added before our draft next year. Guys like Stephen Strasburg and Aroldis Chapman might be available -- and those guys will be long gone before this year's winners get to draft at the end of the first round, much less the second round. You're not going to see impact players available in our draft.
and ...

The draft is really going to be a minor affair. It won't make a huge impact on your team. If we expand roster size by one slot then I bet most teams won't draft more than one new player. Most of our teams already have 30 players under control (29 active slots + one player on the DL). So if we expand to a roster of 30 active players you will have to drop one of your current players in order to make a draft pick. Is there going to be somebody available in the draft in March that you couldn't add to your team for free right now? Not many at all. Only a few minor leaguers and maybe a Japanese import. The guys available in the draft are mostly the same guys available on the free agent list right now. So even though the draft is five rounds long, most teams will only make zero, one or two selections anyway. The only really good prospects will probably be snapped up within the first 4-6 picks of the first round. There won't be much left after that.

Well, Yahoo actually did a pretty good job of adding prospects this year and it definitely looks like there's more than a half dozen good prospects available plus a few good players left in the pool from last year. Heck, there were four Reds prospects (Chapman, Alonso, Frazier, & Heisey) added to the pool this year and that's just from the Reds.

Back in September when this discussion was last had, not only did only half the league participate, of the people that did voice an opinion most seemed to favor a switch with only one against it and another indifferent.

So, I'm asking for the league to decide with a formal vote. I've stated my preference and reasons for it. It's up to you guys.

TRF
03-15-2010, 10:54 AM
forgive my ignorance... what's the difference in the two types?

redsfandan
03-15-2010, 03:42 PM
forgive my ignorance... what's the difference in the two types?
No problem. Here's the draft order with a snake draft:

1st Round

1) camisadelgolf is #1
2) redsfandan
3) WMR Ghetty Green
4) CRF2000
5) Gilpdawg
6) reds77
7) The Basecloggers
8) TRF's debacle
9) stephenk29
10) nate
11) mbgrayson
12) Atomic Dumpling

2nd Round

13) Atomic Dumpling
14) mbgrayson
15) nate
16) stephenk29
17) TRF's debacle
18) The Basecloggers
19) reds77
20) Gilpdawg
21) CRF2000
22) WMR Ghetty Green
23) redsfandan
24) camisadelgolf is #1

Rounds 3 & 5 would match round 1 order and round 4 would match round 2's order.

And the draft order with a straight draft:

1st Round

1) camisadelgolf is #1
2) redsfandan
3) WMR Ghetty Green
4) CRF2000
5) Gilpdawg
6) reds77
7) The Basecloggers
8) TRF's debacle
9) stephenk29
10) nate
11) mbgrayson
12) Atomic Dumpling

2nd Round

13) camisadelgolf is #1
14) redsfandan
15) WMR Ghetty Green
16) CRF2000
17) Gilpdawg
18) reds77
19) The Basecloggers
20) TRF's debacle
21) stephenk29
22) nate
23) mbgrayson
24) Atomic Dumpling

In the straight draft the draft order doesn't change (unless picks are traded).

There is obviously going to be a gap between how strong the weak teams are and how strong the weak teams are and a straight draft can provide some real means of giving the lower half of teams some hope to rebuild. For example, there's a big difference between the team owned by Camisadelgolf and the team owned by Atomic Dumpling. Unless the trades that Camisadelgolf makes are lopsided in his favor it will take a while for him to rebuild. A straight draft helps.

TRF
03-15-2010, 03:57 PM
So in what is essentially a supplemental draft, does having the first pick mean that much? If I were camis, I'd want picks 12 & 13. a reverse of how the draft is listed now.

but that's just me.

redsfandan
03-15-2010, 04:18 PM
So in what is essentially a supplemental draft, does having the first pick mean that much? If I were camis, I'd want picks 12 & 13. a reverse of how the draft is listed now.

but that's just me.
Well, the way I look at it, having the 1st pick in a draft like this doesn't mean as much when your next pick isn't until pick 24. So, yeah, I think it could be argued that Atomic Dumpling has better picks since his 2nd pick would be 13th in a snake draft. And the way those two teams look I think Camisadelgolf needs that 13th pick more than Atomic does.

TRF
03-15-2010, 04:46 PM
honestly, either way won't affect me too much. I'm in the middle, so i see a slight benefit to me for a straight draft. either way, my second pick is just as far away. i think. if the straight draft helps those at the bottom of the standings, then i vote straight draft.

AtomicDumpling
03-15-2010, 05:16 PM
In the future please consult the commissioner before opening up a massive campaign to change the rules in your favor.

AtomicDumpling
03-15-2010, 05:27 PM
I don't think this is the best way to begin a fun new season of fantasy baseball. The best time to debate rules changes is the late-season discussion period we had last year and will have again every year. We already discussed this issue at that time and there was not much support for changing it.

Do we really want to open debates two days before the draft? We have all been getting excited for the new season and just before we get started somebody starts a personal campaign to change the rules.

I want to avoid any strife and discord in the ranks over a minor issue such as late round draft picks to fill out the last couple slots on our 30 man rosters.

Historically speaking, the primary reason why dynasty leagues have snake drafts is to reduce the incentive to tank one's team after a guy realizes he won't win that season. Giving huge draft advantages to the people that finish at the bottom of the standings can create a temptation to "plan ahead" to gain the windfall. We saw last year that the reasons some teams didn't do well were not only because they had too many injuries or too few good players, but also because they left hundreds of GP and IP unused. Do we want to encourage that with a reward of all the top rookies?

In the snake draft the first few picks are worth 100x more than the last few picks. It is going to be sure-fire stars like Stephen Strasburg, Jason Heyward and Aroldis Chapman at the top of the draft compared to some higher-risk, lower-ceiling prospects like Brett Wallace or Chris Carter or maybe some mediocre veterans at the bottom of the draft.

The waiver priority is also the reverse of last year's standings so it favors the losing teams too. As we observed last year the waiver priority is a big advantage.

It think it is obvious that we aren't going to be able to rebuild our teams with late round draft picks. The first few picks of the 1st round will be elite prospects that can really help you out quickly, but the later picks will be used to plug holes in your lineup and fill out your bench. The best way to rebuild your team is to make trades.

I don't really have a strong opinion on the matter because I don't think the short draft will have much influence on our teams. If a majority of the league wants to change the rules now then we can do so. But I don't want any arguing or hard feelings. Please also keep in mind when making your decision that the policy will be in effect for all future seasons, so think not only about how this affects your draft slot for this season but also future seasons as well.

AtomicDumpling
03-15-2010, 05:31 PM
Well, the way I look at it, having the 1st pick in a draft like this doesn't mean as much when your next pick isn't until pick 24. So, yeah, I think it could be argued that Atomic Dumpling has better picks since his 2nd pick would be 13th in a snake draft. And the way those two teams look I think Camisadelgolf needs that 13th pick more than Atomic does.

OK. Then trade me slots. Deal?

I will gladly take your 2nd overall pick of the draft to get a superstar rookie like Jason Heyward instead of the 12th and 13th picks that can only be used to get a dime-a-dozen rookie or a veteran player that nobody wanted last year.

TRF
03-15-2010, 05:36 PM

I will gladly take your 2nd overall pick of the draft to get a superstar rookie instead of the 12th and 13th picks that can only be used to get a dime-a-dozen rookie or a veteran player that nobody wanted last year.

hey, nobody wanted Branyan remember?

I thought the voting was sanctioned. I certainly don't want to step on toes.

This draft is mostly irrelevant, as none of you will pick the right players. I will though and i will then destroy you all.

just sayin' :)

AtomicDumpling
03-15-2010, 05:41 PM
hey, nobody wanted Branyan remember?

I thought the voting was sanctioned. I certainly don't want to step on toes.

This draft is mostly irrelevant, as none of you will pick the right players. I will though and i will then destroy you all.

just sayin' :)

The new season is officially started when the smack talk begins! Well played sir.
:beerme:

redsfandan
03-15-2010, 06:12 PM
In the future please consult the commissioner before opening up a massive campaign to change the rules in your favor.

I will gladly take your 2nd overall pick of the draft to get a superstar rookie instead of the 12th and 13th picks that can only be used to get a dime-a-dozen rookie or a veteran player that nobody wanted last year.
If you check back (either in this thread or the previous redszone dynasty league thread) you and I both touched on the fact that I would have an open spot to pick up someone without dropping someone IF Yahoo recognized that Bedard was on the DL by the time I picked. He isn't. And I've tried to make trades in the last month and haven't received any interest. So, it looks like I'm going to use only ONE draft pick. Believe me there are players in the draft I like. But unless something happens in the next roughly 44 hours I am only taking one player. Which would mean a switch wouldn't benefit me in the least. It also means a trade of one draft pick for two wouldn't make sense.

I don't think this is the best way to begin a fun new season of fantasy baseball. The best time to debate rules changes is the late-season discussion period we had last year and will have again every year. We already discussed this issue at that time and there was not much support for changing it.

Do we really want to open debates two days before the draft? We have all been getting excited for the new season and just before we get started somebody starts a personal campaign to change the rules.

I want to avoid any strife and discord in the ranks over a minor issue such as late round draft picks to fill out the last couple slots on our 30 man rosters.

Historically speaking, the primary reason why dynasty leagues have snake drafts is to reduce the incentive to tank one's team after a guy realizes he won't win that season. Giving huge draft advantages to the people that finish at the bottom of the standings can create a temptation to "plan ahead" to gain the windfall. We saw last year that the reasons some teams didn't do well were not only because they had too many injuries or too few good players, but also because they left hundreds of GP and IP unused. Do we want to encourage that with a reward of all the top rookies?

In the snake draft the first few picks are worth 100x more than the last few picks. It is going to be sure-fire stars like Stephen Strasburg, Jason Heyward and Aroldis Chapman at the top of the draft compared to some higher-risk, lower-ceiling prospects like Brett Wallace or Chris Carter or maybe some mediocre veterans at the bottom of the draft.

The waiver priority is also the reverse of last year's standings so it favors the losing teams too. As we observed last year the waiver priority is a big advantage.

It think it is obvious that we aren't going to be able to rebuild our teams with late round draft picks. The first few picks of the 1st round will be elite prospects that can really help you out quickly, but the later picks will be used to plug holes in your lineup and fill out your bench. The best way to rebuild your team is to make trades.
There was never a formal vote on this back in September and when it was discussed it seemed to me like you thought the effect of the draft would be minimal and how many prospects would be added wouldn't be that many. It still seems like you share that opinion. Which is fine. But that doesn't mean I'll agree with that opinion of how much the draft matters and there ARE alot more good players in the pool that are available than you or I probably expected. Like I said before, back then it seemed, at least to me, like you were the only person against a straight draft. And I had the impression back then that if there had been a vote taken of the people that actually participated in the discussion it would already be a straight draft. All I'm doing is asking for that vote now. I agree this is last second and I apologize for that but I think there is validity to the reasons that I've stated to why a straight draft is more fair.

This would be a move that would that WOULD benefit the other weak teams and would be more fair, imo, than a snake draft. Going back to this

I don't really have a strong opinion on the matter because I don't think the short draft will have much influence on our teams. If a majority of the league wants to change the rules now then we can do so. But I don't want any arguing or hard feelings. Please also keep in mind when making your decision that the policy will be in effect for all future seasons, so think not only about how this affects your draft slot for this season but also future seasons as well.
This isn't a personal campaign to benefit me, especially since I'm planning on only taking one guy. This would be a move to benefit the league as a whole not just for this season but for future seasons as well. Like I've said, there was never a formal vote on this back in September and, at least in my opinion, there's more good players available in the draft than you're implying (Napoli was already picked up accidentally, there's also Weeks, Borbon, Alonso, Frazier, Heisey, Scott Sizemore, Conor Jackson, Michael Saunders, Michael Stanton, Desmond Jennings, Carlos Santana, Pedro Alvarez, Dustin Ackley, Justin Smoak, Jesus Montero, Austin Jackson, .... I could go on. And those are only some of the position players).

I want to avoid any strife and discord in the ranks ... But I don't want any arguing or hard feelings.
Same here. There's no personal motive on my part to change the rules to benefit me. And I don't want hard feelings either. I don't see a problem with a vote though. If people vote down the move that's fine. I just think it should be up to the league as a whole. NOT just a few people.

TRF
03-15-2010, 06:47 PM
If you check back (either in this thread or the previous redszone dynasty league thread) you and I both touched on the fact that I would have an open spot to pick up someone without dropping someone IF Yahoo recognized that Bedard was on the DL by the time I picked. He isn't. And I've tried to make trades in the last month and haven't received any interest. So, it looks like I'm going to use only ONE draft pick. Believe me there are players in the draft I like. But unless something happens in the next roughly 44 hours I am only taking one player. Which would mean a switch wouldn't benefit me in the least. It also means a trade of one draft pick for two wouldn't make sense.

You are holing on to Joba, Latos, Holland and Feliz, all competing for the 5th starter spot, and only one of them likely to win that spot on their team. Joba won't, Latos has a shot, though slim. One of Holland/Feliz COULD wint the spot in Texas, but I bet it won't be Feliz.

I don't think Maybin is worth keeping. if you like ALL these guys over what is available, well that is your choice. Me? I'd drop at least 3 of them. I bet no one clamors after Joba. he's a reliever, and I think the Yankees know it too. Hughes will win the 5th start IMO.

nate
03-15-2010, 07:01 PM

I don't see this as the case at all.

redsfandan
03-15-2010, 07:12 PM
You are holing on to Joba, Latos, Holland and Feliz, all competing for the 5th starter spot, and only one of them likely to win that spot on their team. Joba won't, Latos has a shot, though slim. One of Holland/Feliz COULD wint the spot in Texas, but I bet it won't be Feliz.

I don't think Maybin is worth keeping. if you like ALL these guys over what is available, well that is your choice. Me? I'd drop at least 3 of them. I bet no one clamors after Joba. he's a reliever, and I think the Yankees know it too. Hughes will win the 5th start IMO.
Valid arguments. In fact you could make an argument that I should drop Jarrod Parker too. But I'm not gonna. Like I said before, unless either Yahoo lists Bedard on the DL or I make a trade in the next day and a half (both doubtful) I'm only drafting ONE player. Call me crazy and I'll understand. But, even though there are other players available that I like, I think the chances of me using even my 2nd pick are slim and none.

(By the way, can you tell me that any of those players will be better than who would be available at pick 14? I can't. And if we made this switch that's when my 2nd pick would be. Nah, ONE player. That's all I'm planning to draft)

I didn't propose that potential change for any reason except for one: imo, it's more fair, it did seem to me like there was support for a switch, but there was never a vote on it. ok, so that's more than one reason. but, those are the ONLY reasons that I proposed the switch. My mistake is not proposing an actual vote a few weeks ago. After yahoo added a bunch of players to the player pool and that poll I mentioned was in the majority for a straight draft for dynasty leagues that aren't in their initial year. For that I DO apologize. But, between the amount of players added to the player pool and the amount of support for the switch back in Sept that I perceived I didn't think there would be a problem with putting it up for an actual vote. Doing this at the last minute? Yeah, that's on me. But I've made my case and that's all I can do. I've gotta get going cuz I've got a lot to do and no time to do it. It's up to you guys.

AtomicDumpling
03-15-2010, 07:29 PM
Time to get this thing rolling folks! The draft officially starts at noon on Wednesday March 17th -- St. Patrick's Day. That is two days from now.

We will be having a five round draft with a 10 hour time limit for each selection.

Season 2+ Draft:
The draft will be a snake draft consisting of five rounds. Draft order will be the reverse of prior year's standings. You may not exceed the roster size limit. If you are at the limit when it is your turn to draft you must drop a player before you can draft a player. The dropped player will become draftable immediately -- the next team owner in the draft may select the droppped player without waiting for him to clear waivers. Players added to the Yahoo player pool after the draft begins are not eligible to be drafted and will be placed on waivers after the draft is over. When all five rounds are completed, the commissioner will set a date and time when all undrafted players will be eligible to be added on a first come, first served basis.

Season 2+ Waiver Priority:
Waiver priority will be set as the reverse of the prior year's standings.

Here is the draft order:
1) camisadelgolf is #1
2) redsfandan
3) WMR Ghetty Green
4) CRF2000
5) Gilpdawg
6) reds77
7) The Basecloggers
8) TRF's debacle
9) stephenk29
10) nate
11) mbgrayson
12) Atomic Dumpling

If you will be away from your computer during the draft and would like updates via text message feel free to send me your cell number via PM on Redszone. You may also submit your picks via PM or text message.

There has been a motion to change the rules for the draft. Redsfandan wants to change the draft from a snake draft to a straight draft. If we get 7 votes to change the rule by noon on Wednesday the rule will be changed. Please respond to me with your vote ASAP. Keep in mind the rule change would apply to future seasons as well as this one.

In the future please send all rule change suggestions to the commissioner so we can include them in a discussion at the end of the season.

Thanks again to everyone for playing in the league again this year. Let's do our best to make this league as fun, friendly, active and competitive as it was last year.

Remember: The draft begins at 12:00 noon on March 17th. Camisadelgolf is #1 has the first pick. There is a 10 hour time limit on each pick.

Good luck with your teams this year!

WMR
03-15-2010, 08:31 PM
I don't see this as the case at all.

Me either. RFD's argument just makes sense.

I think having a straight draft for this type of draft would be more fair. We already know who the 'best' and 'worst' teams are. It would be like doing a snake draft for the NBA or NFL draft.

nate
03-15-2010, 09:37 PM
To be honest, I wasn't really planning on drafting anyone. That might change between now and Wednesday.

AtomicDumpling
03-15-2010, 09:55 PM
I don't have a preference either way on the draft. I am perfectly happy with a snake or straight draft. I don't see the draft having much influence on my team one way or the other. I might draft a bench player or a fringe prospect. It depends on who is available when my turn comes up I guess.

mbgrayson
03-15-2010, 10:12 PM
I see the arguments on each side, but I will go with 'straight' draft.

I don't think anyone tanks to get a marginally better player in the next year's draft, at least not that I saw.

I do think we need to encourage parity. Snake would be better for my slot, but I still vote for straight draft. That just seems to more closely follow real MLB.

gilpdawg
03-16-2010, 07:26 AM
I vote for straight as well.

TRF
03-16-2010, 10:50 AM
I have 5 slots open. a snake draft benefits me, but I'll vote for the straight draft.

and RFD, i can think of 10 guys I'd rather have than Joba.

nate
03-16-2010, 12:03 PM
It doesn't matter to me.

redsfandan
03-16-2010, 05:03 PM
and RFD, i can think of 10 guys I'd rather have than Joba.
That's fine. But again, even if the switch is made my 2nd pick would be 14th, not 10th.

cinredsfan2000
03-16-2010, 08:48 PM
Id rather it be straight draft.But majority rules either way i dont have a problem w/snake draft either.

Stephenk29
03-16-2010, 09:37 PM
I'm fine with either. Snake helps me the most this year, but I see straight as the best long term.

Straight.

AtomicDumpling
03-17-2010, 05:28 AM
I apologize to those of you that complained about not getting a chance to express your views on the draft structure before the voting started. I realize some people have a sour taste in their mouths over this. I understand your concerns. Unfortunately the issue blew up only two days before the draft and we did not have time to go through the discussion and voting phases like we did last year on the other rule changes. This is exactly why the system is set up to consider these issues in the late summer when there is plenty of time to give everyone a chance to discuss their viewpoints before the vote. We had an established procedure in place and it was not followed this time and it has led to hard feelings. As commissioner I feel responsible for this and I will do my best to make sure it doesn't happen again.

Unfortunately in this case the system was bypassed without authorization and only one person got to state his views on the issue. This will not happen again. As we did last year, if anyone has any ideas for rule changes please send them to me. I will compile a list. When the time comes to consider potential changes I will fairly explain both sides of the issue and open up the discussion for all to contribute, and then we will have a public vote.

The vote tally for the proposed rule change so far appears to be 7 votes for a straight draft and 3 votes for a snake draft. I am going to officially declare this draft will be a straight draft.

I am sorry if you disagree with this verdict but I had to make a decision and chose to go with the majority even though the process was not entirely fair.

Hopefully we can get past this problem and everyone will still enjoy the draft and have lots of fun during the season. In my humble opinion the draft change is a minor issue that won't have much effect on our league, but only time will tell. So let's get on to the fun stuff...

AtomicDumpling
03-17-2010, 05:35 AM
The Draft begins today at Noon. There is a 10 hour time limit per pick. If you get skipped you can make your pick as soon as you return to the website. The draft format will be the same as last year. You post your pick in the "Recent Messages" section of the Yahoo league homepage. Then you add your chosen player to your team from the free agent list. Then you email the next person in line to notify him it is his turn to draft.

The draft order is:
1) camisadelgolf is #1
2) redsfandan
3) WMR Ghetty Green
4) CRF2000
5) Gilpdawg
6) reds77
7) The Basecloggers
8) TRF's debacle
9) stephenk29
10) nate
11) mbgrayson
12) Atomic Dumpling

The draft order will be the same each round. It is not a snake draft.

If you have reached the maximum roster size of 30 players (plus DL slots) you will have to drop a player when you make your draft selection. Any dropped players become immediately available to be drafted.

TRF
03-17-2010, 12:53 PM
That's fine. But again, even if the switch is made my 2nd pick would be 14th, not 10th.

true, but since i am so much better at this than all of you, the guy i would want will still be there. :)

AtomicDumpling
03-17-2010, 02:09 PM
Congratulations to Camisadelgolf for selecting Jason Heyward with the first pick of the draft.

You just picked up a perennial All Star hitter. He is the most impressive player I have seen come around in a long, long time. Strasburg is great too, but I think you made the right decision by grabbing Heyward.

TRF
03-17-2010, 02:35 PM
Solid pick, but his pitching is pretty thin. I'd have gone with Chapman or Strasburg in his position, but that's just me.

NEXT! lets get this draft moving.

AtomicDumpling
03-17-2010, 03:21 PM
Redsfandan is on the clock for the second pick of the first round.

Will he take the guy we all expect him to take or does he have something else up his sleeve? Will he go straight or will he dare to be different? Stay tuned to find out...

TRF
03-17-2010, 03:22 PM
Just as long as he doesn't pick Janish...

:)

TRF
03-17-2010, 03:25 PM
Hey, dan should go ahead and drop Dukes now that he's out of a job. that's two spots for him :)

nate
03-17-2010, 03:26 PM
TRF is going to pick Stubbs.

:cool:

TRF
03-17-2010, 03:30 PM
grr.

I might. not with the first pick though, but I have at least 5 roster spots and maybe 6 if a certain pitcher of mine doesn't sign with someone soon.

redsfandan
03-17-2010, 04:58 PM
Hey, dan should go ahead and drop Dukes now that he's out of a job. that's two spots for him :)
Two? I know Dukes is a big guy but he's not big enough to take up two spots.

TRF
03-17-2010, 06:00 PM
funny. i meant two for you. total. now PICK!!!

redsfandan
03-17-2010, 06:34 PM
funny. i meant two for you. total. now PICK!!!
I understood what you meant. Just didn't, and still don't, understand why you'd think I'd have two spots now. Anyway, ...

gosh you're impatient. lol ;)

AtomicDumpling
03-17-2010, 09:14 PM
Redsfandan took Desmond Jennings with the second pick of the first round.

He threw us a curveball on that one. I thought he would take Strasburg. Jennings will be a very solid fantasy stats producer as soon as they call him up to the Rays. He seems a lot like Rays outfielder Carl Crawford, but I think he may turn out more like Grady Sizemore. Of course both are fantasy studs. I agree with Dan that Jennings is a safer pick than Strasburg due to injury concerns, but Strasburg sure looks like he will be an ace to me.

WMR
03-17-2010, 09:17 PM
Nice! :D

WMR
03-17-2010, 09:18 PM
Hmmm.... who to take, who to take......

WMR
03-18-2010, 02:54 AM
Strasburg is the pick.

AtomicDumpling
03-18-2010, 03:12 AM
Strasburg is the pick.

I sure didn't think Strasburg would make it down to you at the 3rd pick. Congratulations!

TRF
03-19-2010, 03:16 PM
does the draft have a set number of rounds or is it until everyone has a 30 man roster?

AtomicDumpling
03-19-2010, 03:38 PM
does the draft have a set number of rounds or is it until everyone has a 30 man roster?

Five rounds.

TRF
03-19-2010, 06:25 PM
So is baseclogger being skipped? I can wait, but I'd like to pick soon.

TRF
03-19-2010, 08:46 PM
Baseclogger and I have both picked, stephenk29 is up.

I took Julio Borbon, and since i knew Heywood, Chapman and Strasburg would be gone, he was always my first pick. top of the order hitter, hit .312 in 157 AB's and stole 19 bases. And he's got a little pop, could hit 15.

He's my Rajah Davis. but with some power

AtomicDumpling
03-19-2010, 09:10 PM
Baseclogger and I have both picked, stephenk29 is up.

I took Julio Borbon, and since i knew Heywood, Chapman and Strasburg would be gone, he was always my first pick. top of the order hitter, hit .312 in 157 AB's and stole 19 bases. And he's got a little pop, could hit 15.

He's my Rajah Davis. but with some power

Solid pick TRF. If Borbon picks up where he left off last season he will be a key part of your team for years to come.

Stephenk29
03-20-2010, 01:19 AM
my apologies, had our first Varsity baseball game tonight, so it was a long day/night. I'll make my pick here shortly!

Stephenk29
03-20-2010, 01:32 AM
Michael Stanton, OF, Marlins

redsfandan
03-20-2010, 01:37 AM
Nice pick.

nate
03-20-2010, 09:57 AM
I took Kevin Correia.

mbgrayson
03-20-2010, 10:36 AM
I took Carlos Santana.

I love the music, and the guy can catch too!

http://www.santana.com/

AtomicDumpling
03-20-2010, 03:39 PM
1.12 Octavio Dotel

Championship!

TRF
03-22-2010, 05:00 PM
1.12 Octavio Dotel

Championship!

bwahahaha. no.

Not this year buddy.

TRF
03-22-2010, 05:57 PM
pick 2.8 TRF's debacle selects Ian Desmond, SS/2B eligible from the Washington Nationals.

sweet.Both my picks so far are who I wanted in each round. haven't felt cheated yet.

TRF
03-26-2010, 11:58 AM
I just posted my new trading block. I'm offering Mark Reynolds to the best offer. He's a 4 category player, so I'll need to be knocked over by the offer.

redsfandan
03-27-2010, 11:36 AM
Hey guys, I just wanted to throw out a possible 'small' wrinkle for people to consider. I've been checking out the "League of Reds Nation -- the ultimate dynasty" thread occassionally (partly cuz with a name like that it's just GOT to be the ultimate!).

Anyway, I noticed that Atomic said that he would allow something in that league that I thought was interesting so I thought I'd throw out this "wrinkle" for people in this league to consider/use. Trading waiver priorities. I know it might sound silly. But sometimes if I'm trying to make a trade and the other owner and I are close, but we can't quite get to the point where there's an agreement, something like being able to move my waiver priority up would make it a little easier for me to part with a specific player to seal the deal. I know it might not sound like much but sometimes it can come in handy. And sometimes when I'm talking trade I, for one, am just looking for something to make it easier to say "yes, i can agree to that".

I've checked with Atomic and he said that he didn't have a problem with people doing that. So, hopefully, this can be the kind of thing that can make the league a little more interesting this year (and in a good way).

gilpdawg
05-11-2010, 08:58 AM
I gained 4 points yesterday. Maybe my anemic offense is starting to wake up.

TRF
05-11-2010, 10:42 AM
Last year, pitching was my strength. this year someone cut my ponytail off.

gilpdawg
07-12-2010, 09:32 AM
We've become the "silent league." I just wanted to bump this thread to possibly get some discussion going. And check out my box from Sunday. Putrid. I'm ready for the break now. :)

gilpdawg
10-03-2010, 10:38 PM
Hey, I'll take third place. Gimme my bronze medal!

mbgrayson
10-04-2010, 09:52 AM
Final 2010 Standings:

1. Atomic Dumpling 112.5
2. mbgrayson 98
3. Gilpdawg 76
4. camisadelgolf is #1 75
5. nate 65
6. TRF's debacle 64
7. dan's Killer Rabbits 61.5
8. stephenk29 51.5
9. reds77 48.5
10. CRF2000 46.5
11. WMR Ghetty Green 43.5
12. The Basecloggers 38
Last standings update: Mon Oct 04 02:31am MDT

AtomicDumpling
10-17-2010, 11:32 PM
Sorry I have been so quiet guys. I have been extremely busy and have been having computer problems, so unfortunately my Redszone time has been non-existent.

I will get the ball rolling our the Redszone Dynasty League again soon.

TRF
01-24-2011, 02:48 PM
Sorry I have been so quiet guys. I have been extremely busy and have been having computer problems, so unfortunately my Redszone time has been non-existent.

I will get the ball rolling our the Redszone Dynasty League again soon.

quicker.. :)

AtomicDumpling
01-25-2011, 04:01 PM
I think Yahoo fantasy leagues open up two weeks from today. The last few years it has been the Tuesday after the Super Bowl, which would be February 8th this year.

AtomicDumpling
01-26-2011, 02:18 AM
I will create the league on Yahoo as soon as they open for business. We will be limited to 30 players per team, so if you have more than 30 players on your team due to players that finished the season on the Disabled List you will have to tell me which ones you are dropping before I can enter your team. If a player is still listed as eligible for the Disabled List at the time I input the rosters I will place him on the DL for you and he will not count toward your 30 man roster limit. I believe very few players if any will be eligible for the DL in February, possibly only guys with long-term injuries. As it stands right now most teams do have more than 30 players under their control, but you will have to be down to 30 by February 10th so I can enter the rosters into the system.

We will have the slow draft beginning sometime around March 10th. You will not have to decide which of your 30 players to drop before the draft. You will go into the draft with 30 players, if you choose to make a draft pick each round you will have to drop a player when you make your draft choice. Players dropped during the draft immediately become available to be drafted by other teams. Some people will likely make only 1-3 picks, others will make 5+ picks during the draft. When your turn comes up in the draft you can either drop a player and make a pick, or you can pass your turn.

Obviously, teams will not be allowed to pick up free agents before the draft. We will however be allowed to begin making trades as soon as I get all the rosters into the system. In fact, you can start making trades now. If a trade is made before the draft but one of the owners drops out of the league before the draft then all trades he made are canceled.