PDA

View Full Version : Am I the only one pumped for Opening Day?

redsfan30
02-22-2010, 11:29 AM
I can't put my finger on why, but I am more excited for Opening Day than I have been in a long, long time. We're only six weeks away. Maybe it's the prospect of a full and healthy season from Joey Votto? Maybe it's the seemingly grown-up Homer Bailey? Maybe it's the signings of Aroldis Chapman and Orlando Cabrera? Maybe it's a full year of Scott Rolen? I don't know.

I do know that I'm on pins and needles awaiting the next six weeks to go by. I'm not sure I've been this excited for the season to get here this far in advance of Opening Day. It's usually a week or two ahead before I start to get this feeling.

Am I alone?

Homer Bailey
02-22-2010, 11:32 AM
The only reason I'm not completely stoked is that I could easily see Carpenter 3 hitting us on opening day.

But other than that, I'm (foolishly) optimistic about this season!

redsfan30
02-22-2010, 11:38 AM
The Reds have drawn some studs on Opening Day each of the last few years and with the exception of Brandon Webb, none of them were dominating.

2004: Kerry Wood
2005: Pedro Martinez
2006: Carlos Zambrano
2007: Carlos Zambrano
2008: Brandon Webb
2009: Johan Santana

Without looking up the numbers, Brandon Webb is the only one to shut the team down completely. Hopefully this year they can add Carpenter to the not-on-his-game-early category.

OnBaseMachine
02-22-2010, 11:43 AM
I am very excited about Opening Day and the 2010 season. I'm always ready for baseball season, but the baseball fever really hit me the day the Reds signed Aroldis Chapman. I'm pumped up about this team. They may not make the playoffs this year but I think they are going to be very much improved. IMO, the Reds have as much good young talent as any other team in baseball except for maybe the Rays, who are ahead of everybody.

Only 11 days until the first spring training game and only six weeks from Opening Day!

membengal
02-22-2010, 11:50 AM
Yeah, for some reason, a lot more spring to my step as a Reds fan this year. The Chapman signing really helped my mental outlook, seeing the Reds spend money toward what appears to be a plan really helped.

Add in Votto, Bruce, Stubbs, Bailey, Cueto and the still young talent with this team makes it one to look forward to.

bucksfan2
02-22-2010, 11:56 AM
Im excited for opening day, but more excited for warmer weather.

reds1869
02-22-2010, 12:17 PM
I'm very excited for Opening Day this year. This Reds team could make some legitimate noise; that's not the usual "hope springs eternal" optimism, that's my honest opinion. Not only does the future look promising, we have a chance to put the division favorite in an early hole. Of course, that does work both ways. :)

Jpup
02-22-2010, 12:26 PM
I'm excited for next week and the beginning of Spring Training games. Opening Day is long way away in my baseball mind. I love watching Spring games.

redsmetz
02-22-2010, 12:56 PM
When the weather first warmed up last week, I put my Reds hat on instead of my stocking cap. I got more and more comments from people about it. Yesterday at Mass, I wore my Reds shirt and another parishioner came up to and said she was really excited for Spring Training to start, etc. I think I'm going to have to organize another parish group going to a game this season! And my daughter's spring training illustration (http://thefinestmuffins.blogspot.com/2010/02/happy-spring.html) put some spring in the step too!