PDA

View Full Version : The Ball sounds different...

TRF
02-22-2010, 01:21 PM
I saw this in the ST update thread regarding Yonder Alonso...

I watched Yonder Alonso hit in the cage. It sounded different off of his bat. The ball just jumped. I'll have some video of that up at some point.

in honor of the best shape of my life thread.

klw
02-22-2010, 01:24 PM
Its because Alonso is still using an aluminum bat.

My question when I read that earlier is whether it meant it sounded different from the other hitters or if it meant that it sounded different from Alonso last year. I know that usualy it is a comparison to other players but as this phrase is usually broken out with the first time someone is seen I didn't know.

bucksfan2
02-22-2010, 01:24 PM
Maybe there was cork in the bat.

Crosley68
02-22-2010, 08:29 PM
Maybe this is more reasonable: In the video I saw, Yonder was hitting in the last cage next to block walls, the other guys were hitting in the middle of the building. I would imagine that the sound coming back to the camera or listener off a wall would sound louder and crisper that from a cage with nothing around it. Or maybe he just swings faster or uses a different wood bat. ;-)

Joseph
02-22-2010, 08:39 PM
Steroids?

Kidding, I just wanted to be the first to say it.

HumnHilghtFreel
02-22-2010, 08:55 PM
Not to be a downer or anything, but I watched the video of the BP session in question, and I didn't really get that feeling listening to the crack of the bat. The last time I heard it and really said "wow" was the first time I watched Hamilton at bat. It seemed like a thunderclap.

camisadelgolf
02-22-2010, 09:16 PM
For what it's worth, the ball sounded different coming off Willy Taveras' bat, too. It was like hearing a brick hit a piece of Styrofoam.

paulrichjr
02-22-2010, 11:00 PM
For what it's worth, the ball sounded different coming off Willy Taveras' bat, too. It was like hearing a brick hit a piece of Styrofoam.

:clap:

thatcoolguy_22
02-22-2010, 11:04 PM

hahahahahaha

thanks for the sig :thumbup:

klw
02-22-2010, 11:25 PM

His bat hit the ball?

reds44
02-22-2010, 11:30 PM
Norris Hopper is a strong dude, I can hear it.

cincrazy
02-22-2010, 11:41 PM
I remember watching Jose Guillen live for the first time. The guy hasn't exactly had an illustrious career, but the sound of the ball coming off his bat when he was on was magical.

gm
02-23-2010, 12:49 AM
Not to be a downer or anything, but I watched the video of the BP session in question, and I didn't really get that feeling listening to the crack of the bat. The last time I heard it and really said "wow" was the first time I watched Hamilton at bat. It seemed like a thunderclap.

Josh Gibson

Mark McGwire

Josh Hamilton

Ron Madden
02-23-2010, 05:02 AM
Josh Gibson

Mark McGwire

Josh Hamilton

Never got to see Josh Gibson but I would add Ken Griffey Jr. to the list.

klw
02-23-2010, 07:39 AM
http://webusers.npl.illinois.edu/~a-nathan/pob/glanz-nytimes.htm
The physics of sound off of the bat

klw
02-23-2010, 07:42 AM
http://projectprospect.com/article/2009/07/14/bryce-harper-scouting-report
Bryce Harper

He gets ideal extension, and shows and uncanny ability to consistently square up the ball. Turn up your volume and watch it again, the ball sounds different off his bat. Is sounds like there's a small explosion, or shotgun blast each time cowhide meets wood. With Harper, the wood almost always wins.

redsmetz
02-23-2010, 08:16 AM
Josh Gibson

Mark McGwire

Josh Hamilton

Buck O'Neil in Ken Burns' Baseball said there were three players he heard hit that had dramatically different sounds off their bat: Babe Ruth, Josh Gibson and Bo Jackson.