PDA

View Full Version : Out of Options

nate
02-23-2010, 12:33 PM
From Fangraphs (http://www.fangraphs.com/blogs/index.php/out-of-options-two-notable-position-players/), an article about two players, on being Wladimir Balentien.

OF Wladimir Balentien, Reds

Balentien is another guy who has shown prolific power in the major leagues. With the rise of Michael Saunders in left field and Balentien underperforming in Seattle, the Mariners were forced to jettison the 25 year old outfielder last season. Outside of some home runs, though, Balentien has been poor in the major leagues so far, compiling a terrible wOBA of .285 in his first 559 PAs. Balentien’s solid minor league numbers – two seasons in AAA with .370+ wOBAs – give hope for breakout. CHONE expects a huge power surge and a .358 wOBA in Cincinnati next season.

The question is if he can make the big club. His major league numbers, as mentioned, are very discouraging, and he’s certainly behind Drew Stubbs and Jay Bruce on the depth charts. Chris Dickerson and the newly re-signed Jonny Gomes probably will make the team as well. That leaves Balentien in a fight with Laynce Nix for the 5th outfielder spot, meaning that with a poor spring, Balentien could find himself job-hunting again. I wouldn’t count on it, though, as Balentien could be a major piece in a potentially resurgent Reds lineup.

nate
02-23-2010, 12:34 PM
BTW, I want props for spelling "Wladimir Balentien" correctly without looking it up.

Chip R
02-23-2010, 12:47 PM
BTW, I want props for spelling "Wladimir Balentien" correctly without looking it up.

No dice. You copied straight from the article so you could have just pasted it straight from the article. :p:

nate
02-23-2010, 01:09 PM
No dice. You copied straight from the article so you could have just pasted it straight from the article. :p:

No, no. I typed the post in the order you see it!

Edd Roush
02-23-2010, 01:19 PM
No, no. I typed the post in the order you see it!

I will give you some props. I always miss the second "e" in his last name.

Degenerate39
02-23-2010, 01:30 PM

I'll give you some PEACE

savafan
02-23-2010, 01:41 PM
I'm not giving you props, you misspelled "one" :)

RichRed
02-23-2010, 01:44 PM

Mad wlprops!

I think Balentien makes the team. Jocketty seems to really like him so I think it will take a pretty dismal spring performance for Wlad to be shown the door.

nate
02-23-2010, 02:19 PM

LOLLL that's awesome.

Chip R
02-23-2010, 02:35 PM

He can spell "Balentien" but he can't spell "one".

http://xspblog.files.wordpress.com/2008/05/facepalm.jpg