PDA

View Full Version : MLB Network "30 Clubs in 30 Days"

Eric_the_Red
02-23-2010, 04:54 PM
FYI - the Reds will be featured on March 23 at 7pm.

If you missed it last year, the show previews each club, their prospects and predicts how they will do in the final standings.

jmcclain19
02-24-2010, 03:01 AM
If you missed it last year, this series is pretty much a must watch for baseball fans.

One hour solely dedicated to each team, their depth chart and their future prospects.

Great way to prepare for the season.

OnBaseMachine
02-24-2010, 10:58 AM
If you missed it last year, this series is pretty much a must watch for baseball fans.

One hour solely dedicated to each team, their depth chart and their future prospects.

Great way to prepare for the season.

Yep.

MLB Network dedicated about 20 minutes of their Hot Stove show to the Reds last night. First, they showed a few clips of Chapman throwing a bullpen session, then Walt Jocketty called in and talked for a few minutes. Later in the show they showed a five minute clip of the Reds most memorable moments in history, and then talked more about the Reds history. You gotta love the MLB Network. They show more Reds coverage in five minutes than ESPN does in three months.

JaxRed
02-24-2010, 02:59 PM
MLB Channel should be devoting 30 minutes to each club every day during spring training. Their coverage is lame.

Eric_the_Red
02-24-2010, 03:10 PM
MLB Channel should be devoting 30 minutes to each club every day during spring training. Their coverage is lame.

So you want 15 new hours of coverage every day during ST? Yeah, that sounds reasonable. :rolleyes:

lollipopcurve
02-24-2010, 03:18 PM

Not sure I'd call it lame, but I haven't been especially impressed. Seems like almost every episode of Hot Stove has to have its Yankees segment, and that drives me nuts.

OnBaseMachine
02-25-2010, 01:18 PM
From Ed Price:

MLB Network will show 78 spring games, featuring 45 live games and all 30 clubs at least three times.

http://twitter.com/ed_price

lollipopcurve
02-25-2010, 01:37 PM
From Ed Price:

MLB Network will show 78 spring games, featuring 45 live games and all 30 clubs at least three times.

sweetness

reds1869
02-25-2010, 04:03 PM
Not sure I'd call it lame, but I haven't been especially impressed. Seems like almost every episode of Hot Stove has to have its Yankees segment, and that drives me nuts.

That probably has something to do with the Yankees being in the mix for virtually every player, don't you think? I don't think their coverage of the Yanks is over the top at all. Hot Stove seems to give coverage equal to how active each club is on the market.

OnBaseMachine
02-26-2010, 04:02 PM
Here's a link to the MLB Network spring training games schedule:

http://mlb.mlb.com/news/press_releases/press_release.jsp?ymd=20100225&content_id=8137628&vkey=pr_mlbcom&fext=.jsp&c_id=mlb

March 5 7:00 p.m. Cleveland Indians @ Cincinnati Reds

March 20 5:00 p.m. Cincinnati Reds @ San Francisco Giants

March 22 4:00 p.m.* Colorado Rockies @ Cincinnati Reds

JaxRed
02-26-2010, 04:17 PM
Yes, I want 15 hours of new coverage every day. If you were assigned to the Reds camp as a reporter you couldn't come up with 30 minutes of stuff? I know I could.

Wouldn't have the Chapman BP session have been neat? A couple player interviews per day?

What if was 3 days a week? Bottom line is 1 hour per team during the whole spring for a channel devoted 24/7 to MLB is just weak.

reds1869
02-26-2010, 04:30 PM
Yes, I want 15 hours of new coverage every day. If you were assigned to the Reds camp as a reporter you couldn't come up with 30 minutes of stuff? I know I could.

Wouldn't have the Chapman BP session have been neat? A couple player interviews per day?

What if was 3 days a week? Bottom line is 1 hour per team during the whole spring for a channel devoted 24/7 to MLB is just weak.

Do you realize how insanely expensive it would be to assign a full crew to each team to provide that level of coverage? Unless you want to pay $20 per month for MLB Network, it ain't happening.

TheNext44
02-26-2010, 04:36 PM

I like the idea. But the problem is that for those 15 hours, you will have at least 97% of fans not interested for 14 and a half of those hours. The ratings for those days would be terrible.

JaxRed
02-26-2010, 04:49 PM
I've always thought that MLB should partner with local university broadcast schools on this. You get Arizona, Arizona State, Northern Arizona, and they produce the pieces for you.

They get valuable experience.... you get content.

Heath
02-27-2010, 09:57 AM
I've always thought that MLB should partner with local university broadcast schools on this. You get Arizona, Arizona State, Northern Arizona, and they produce the pieces for you.

That's a great way for experience, but as professional TV people tell you - you are looking for perfection and professionalism at all times. MLB Network needs to throw a no-no everytime out to keep their channel.

Now, how this pertains to how John Kruk keeps his job, I have no idea.

pahster
02-27-2010, 11:12 AM

Have you ever watched student-produced broadcast media? It tends to be pretty awful, even when it's made by students from elite programs (and none of the J-schools you listed qualify as such).

TheNext44
02-27-2010, 02:39 PM
Have you ever watched student-produced broadcast media? It tends to be pretty awful, even when it's made by students from elite programs (and none of the J-schools you listed qualify as such).

The Dynamite Goes Boom

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W45DRy7M1no

OnBaseMachine
03-04-2010, 01:17 PM
•ROJAS THE VOICE: Victor Rojas, once a pitcher in the Los Angeles Angels’ minor-league system and son of Cookie Rojas, a former Royals star who was once manager of the Angels, was chosen the new television play-by-play voice of the team. Rojas, 42, is leaving MLB Network to fill the spot left by Rory Markas, who died suddenly in January.

Rojas will work with analyst Mark Gubicza, a former Royals pitcher, on Fox Sports West and Los Angeles station KCOP broadcasts. Rojas was born in Miami and mostly raised in Overland Park, when his dad played for the Royals.

http://www.kansascity.com/2010/03/03/1787673/baseball-news-upton-signs-51-million.html

That sucks. Rojas was one of my favorites on the MLB Network.

BoydsOfSummer
03-04-2010, 01:33 PM
Why couldn't it have been that Arnsbager (or whatever} he annoys me. Victor I liked.

TheNext44
03-16-2010, 04:10 PM
Just watched the 30 in 30 on the Astros. It was a lovefest. The one of the Reds should be informative, but it's hard to take their analysis seriously after all the praise they laid on the Astro's.

membengal
03-16-2010, 04:13 PM
Nothing quite says world series contender like Geoff Blum hitting 5th...

TRF
03-16-2010, 04:27 PM
The Dynamite Goes Boom

reminds me of my first time in front of the camera in college...

which is why i went into the production side.

TheNext44
03-16-2010, 04:43 PM

I work on the production side and I can't tell you how many educated, intelligent people have stood in front of the camera and teleprompter and ended up looking like babbling buffoons. Some were politicians who makes speeches for a living but could not for the life of them read off a teleprompter. It definitely is a skill.

Hoosier Red
03-16-2010, 05:17 PM

I was a sports communications major in college and for a few years I really liked to listen to my tapes. As I got older I realized something.

I sucked.(though my call of IU coming back to beat Illinois in overtime was rather strong I must say.)

I certainly wouldn't watch myself do reports no matter who they were on.

Tony Cloninger
03-16-2010, 07:28 PM
Boy...that is painful to watch. Poor guy.

OnBaseMachine
03-22-2010, 03:11 PM
Also, from the MLB Network:

The Cincinnati Reds will be featured tomorrow, March 23, at 10pm ET on MLB Network’s Spring Training series 30 Clubs in 30 Days. The episode will feature field reports, Johnny Gomes mic’ed up for the MLBN cameras, interviews with Dusty Baker, Aaron Harang, Bronson Arroyo, Jay Bruce, Scott Rolen, Joey Votto and Homer Bailey, as well as predictions and analysis from MLB Network’s Barry Larkin and John Hart.

http://cincinnati.com/blogs/reds/2010/03/22/programming-reminders/

blumj
03-22-2010, 03:20 PM
Just watched the 30 in 30 on the Astros. It was a lovefest. The one of the Reds should be informative, but it's hard to take their analysis seriously after all the praise they laid on the Astro's.

Oh, they are ALL lovefests, it's that sort of series.

RFS62
03-22-2010, 08:58 PM
Boy...that is painful to watch. Poor guy.

No kidding. I wonder how he likes working as a waiter at Fridays now.