PDA

View Full Version : League of Reds Nation -- the ultimate dynasty

Pages : [1] 2 3

AtomicDumpling
02-24-2010, 10:27 PM
This new league is based on the Redszone Dynasty League, which you may have seen here in the Fantasy Island forum. That league has been a great success, so much so that all 12 owners have returned to play again this year. How often does that happen in fantasy sports?

We received several requests to join the league should any spots open up, but we did not have any openings arise in the existing league. Due to the strong interest we have decided to create a second league using the same format.

12 new owners have accepted the challenge to play with and against their Redszone friends in an active, competitive league over a period of years. All twelve owners are known to be skilled and savvy practitioners of rotisserie baseball so this will be an exciting test of their mettle.

Here is a list of the warring parties:
1. IowaRed
2. reds1869
3. Atomic Dumpling
4. thatcool_guy22
5. Joseph
6. Brutus the Pimp
7. HayPay
8. Tornon
9. Bumstead
10. Vada Pinson Fan
11. HumnHilghtFreel
12. Captain Hook

All owners must use their Redszone username as their team name. No hiding behind anonymous team names here! This makes the game more personal and familiar and encourages people to become more involved and stay that way. Otherwise it is just another anonymous Internet league.

We request a commitment from each owner to pay attention all season long and to play in future years also.

The League of Reds Nation is a dynasty keeper league, which means it will go on for years and all players will be kept from one year to the next. So the idea is to draft a nice blend of current stars and some young prospects that will mature into future stars.

Thanks to each of the team owners for playing. I am excited to start a new season of fantasy baseball. Let's make this a fun, friendly, active and competitive league!

AtomicDumpling
02-24-2010, 10:28 PM
Here are the complete rules:

Yahoo 5x5 Roto standard settings
12 Teams
Mixed League (NL & AL players)
Dynasty Keeper league
30 roster slots + 3 disabled list slots
Max Teams: 12
Scoring Type: Rotisserie
Player Universe: All baseball
New Players Become Available: As soon as Yahoo! adds them
Max Moves: No maximum
Max Trades: No maximum
Trade End Date: August 29, 2010
Waiver Time: 2 days
Waiver Type: Continual rolling list
Can't Cut List Provider: Yahoo! Sports
Trade Review: Commissioner
Post Draft Players: Follow Waiver Rules
Max Games Played: 162
Max Innings Pitched: 1350
Weekly Deadline: Daily - Tomorrow
Start Scoring on: Monday, Mar 29
Roster Positions: C, 1B, 2B, 3B, SS, IF, OF, OF, OF, Util, Util, SP, SP, RP, RP, P, P, P, P, BN, BN, BN, BN, BN, BN, BN, BN, BN, BN, BN, DL, DL, DL
Batters Stat Categories: Runs(R), Home Runs(HR), Runs Batted In(RBI), Stolen Bases(SB), Batting Average(AVG)
Pitchers Stat Categories: Wins(W), Saves(SV), Strikeouts(K), Earned Run Average(ERA), Walks+Hits/IP(WHIP)

Season 1 Draft rules:
1.You have 10 hours to make your pick. If you have not placed your pick within 10 hours, the next player can go ahead and post his pick. You do not lose your pick. You can still make your pick as soon as you return to the website.
2. After you make your pick please email the next player to let him know it is his turn. This will speed up the draft. To send the email click on "Email League" at the top of any league page. Then click on the next player and send him a message.
3. Yahoo will add players to the database after the draft has begun. Any player that is not available in the list at the time of the first pick of the draft will not be eligible to be drafted for the duration of the draft. Those players will be available on waivers after the draft. This rule is to make sure all team owners have an equal shot at all players. The commissioner will keep a list of all players ineligible to be drafted.
4. To make your pick just post your draftee's name on the league message board like this: round.pick Player Name (1.1 Johan Santana or 5.12 Jay Bruce) Then you can add the player to your team by selecting him from the Free Agent list.
5.If you ask someone else to post your pick or your draftee is on waivers the commissioner will add your player to your team page as soon as possible. Before you pick, make sure the player has not already been drafted.
6. You can trade draft picks. The only pick you can't trade is the one that is "on the clock". We learned from experience that can cause long delays.
7. The draft will be a snake draft. Even-numbered rounds will be the reverse of 1st round. Odd-numbered rounds will be the same order as round 1.
8. If you have two consecutive draft picks you do NOT get two time slots before being skipped. For example, if you have the last pick of round 1 and the first pick of round 2 (picks 1.12 and 2.1) you only have 10 hours total to make both picks. If you have not made your picks within 10 hours of the time pick 1.11 was posted then the owner of pick 2.2 can skip you and post his pick.
9. Multiple picks can be skipped. For example, 10 hours have elapsed since pick 4.3 was posted so pick 4.4 is skipped and pick 4.5 is on the clock. If 10 hours later pick 4.5 has not been posted then he is skipped and pick 4.6 is on the clock.

Season 1 Waiver Priority:
The waiver priority for season 1 will be the reverse of the 1st round draft order.

Season 2+ Draft:
The draft will be a snake draft consisting of five rounds. Draft order will be the reverse of prior year's standings. You may not exceed the roster size limit. If you are at the limit when it is your turn to draft you must drop a player before you can draft a player. The dropped player will become draftable immediately -- the next team owner in the draft may select the droppped player without waiting for him to clear waivers. Players added to the Yahoo player pool after the draft begins are not eligible to be drafted and will be placed on waivers after the draft is over. When all five rounds are completed, the commissioner will set a date and time when all undrafted players will be eligible to be added on a first come, first served basis.

Season 2+ Waiver Priority:
Waiver priority will be set as the reverse of the prior year's standings.

Trade Protests:
Trades can be protested only if cheating or collusion is suspected. Trades may not be protested due to being unbalanced, lopsided or stupid. If a trade is protested both owners may state their reasons for making the trade before a decision is made. If after the explanations anyone in the league suspects cheating or collusion then an annonymous vote will be held and 6 or more votes against the trade will nullify it. Owners involved in the trade do not vote, even if they have changed their mind about the trade.

Procedure to prevent tanking, negligence and abandonment:
In order to keep the league fair, competitive and fun we need to ensure all owners pay attention all season long and try to field the best team they can every day. On occasions where an owner's attention wanes it is the commissioner's duty to urge that owner to do a better job. Of course there are justifiable reasons why an owner may neglect his team for a couple days (vacation, sickness etc) so there will be reminders and warnings before resorting to sanctions. If an owner leaves injured players or minor leaguers in his starting lineup or leaves star players on his bench for more than a few days the following process will be initiated:
1st occurence -- A polite reminder will be sent
2nd occurence -- A polite reminder will be sent
3rd occurence -- A warning will be sent
4th occurence -- Offending owner's waiver priority will be set to 12
5th occurence -- Offending owner will lose his 1st round draft pick the following year
6th occurence -- Offending owner will not be invited back the following year

In the event an owner quits mid-season the commissioner must:
1. Appoint a replacement owner if technically possible, or if not
2. He must replace injured/demoted players in the starting lineup with the highest ranked player available on the team at that position. If no player on the team can fill the position the highest ranked free agent must be added and the worst player dropped. Any disputes must be voted on leaguewide. No trades can be made.

AtomicDumpling
02-24-2010, 10:37 PM
How would you guys feel about starting the draft this weekend? We need to get this thing rolling to make sure we finish the draft before Opening Day. We have 30 rounds of drafting to accomplish in about 6 weeks.

I propose we officially start the draft at 8:00am on Saturday the 27th. The first pick will be "on the clock" starting at that time. The first owner will have 10 hours max to make his selection. Hopefully we can get through a couple of rounds over the weekend if everybody checks the site regularly.

- - - - - -

Here is how I am going to determine the draft order:

I found a website that will randomly generate the draft order and email it to all the team owners. This is a way to guarantee that the draft order was indeed generated randomly.

I am entering everybody's email address into the program. Your email will not be spammed. If you did not allow your email address to be seen on the Yahoo league site then you will not receive the email. You should get the email soon.

We can go ahead and start the draft process Thursday or Friday, but the 10 hour clock won't start until Saturday at 8:00am. This means if the owner of the first selection is ready to make his pick before Saturday he can do it, then the 2nd owner can proceed. We might me able to get through a few picks even before the timer is in official use.

If you are going to be away from the Internet for long periods during the draft please let me know ASAP. We can try to arrange a way for you to keep in contact with me or someone else in the league to make sure you get to make your picks in the allotted time.

- - - - - -

Please feel free to post any thoughts, ideas, trade talks, observations or general fantasy baseball chat here. This thread will be our central discussion area for the next eight months. Let's make it active and fun.

Joseph
02-24-2010, 10:46 PM
I'm game to start the draft this weekend. I'll respond more as I have some time tomorrow.

HumnHilghtFreel
02-24-2010, 10:49 PM
I'm down for the weekend for sure. I work on the weekends, but if someone can PM me, I get notifications sent to my phone when my turn is up.

Tornon
02-24-2010, 10:59 PM
I'm fine to start it whenever, wherever

AtomicDumpling
02-24-2010, 11:49 PM
Everyone should be receiving an email in a few minutes from FFToolbox regarding the randomized draft order. FFToolbox provides a free tool that generates a randomized draft order and emails it to all the league participants. In this way everyone can feel secure in knowing the draft order is truly random and not rigged in favor of any one participant.

Joseph you will not receive the email because your email address is private on the Yahoo baseball website. I will post the results here in a few minutes...

AtomicDumpling
02-24-2010, 11:53 PM
Hello,
Atomic Dumpling has used the FFToolbox.com random draft order generator for the "League of Reds Nation -- the ultimate dynasty." league. To verify the results visit this page: http://www.fftoolbox.com/draft_order_generator.cfm?id=19305
The following draft order was randomly generated for your league:
1 - Tornon
2 - Brutus the Pimp
3 - reds1869
4 - thatcoolguy_22
5 - Joseph
6 - Atomic Dumpling
7 - HayPay
8 - Vada Pinson Fan
9 - HumnHilghtFreel
10 - IowaRed
11 - Bumstead
12 - Captain Hook
Regards,
FFToolbox.com
Free Fantasy Sports Info

Captain Hook
02-25-2010, 12:22 AM
I'm fine to start it whenever, wherever

Me to.

thatcoolguy_22
02-25-2010, 12:23 AM
Sweet!

Once again though expect me to be slow on the draft. I am 14 hours ahead of the Eastern Time Zone. However good luck to all!

HayPay
02-25-2010, 12:50 AM
okay to start whenever

AtomicDumpling
02-25-2010, 12:55 AM
Simply The Best! has changed his team name to match his Redszone username of HayPay. I will update the draft order to reflect the change.

AtomicDumpling
02-25-2010, 02:24 AM
You may have noticed that I added one player to every team and then removed those players again. I bet you are wondering why I did that. The reason is because Yahoo won't allow us to add players from the Free Agent list to our teams until after the draft. That makes sense because you don't want owners picking up players before the draft.

But since we are having a slow message board draft it causes some problems in our league. We need to be able to add the player to our team after we post our selection on the message board. In order to work around this problem I submitted a fake one-round draft to satisfy the requirement. Then I dropped those players from your teams. So now each of us will be able to add the players to our teams when we make our selections. The players will all be on waivers until Saturday though, so for any selections made before Saturday I will have to add the player to your team for you.

I hope my explanation made sense. If not let me know and I will try to explain it better.

AtomicDumpling
02-25-2010, 02:34 AM
With the first pick of the draft Tornon selects:

1.1 Hanley Ramirez

It is now Brutus the Pimp's turn to draft with the 1.2 pick. He can post his selection on the message board at his leisure.

Keep in mind the 10 hour draft timer does not officially begin until 8:00am on Saturday, but if we can get through several picks before then it would give us a small head start. We have basically got 40 days to get through 30 rounds (360 selections), so we need to keep it moving.

reds1869
02-25-2010, 06:34 AM
Good stuff, and already my preferred pick has been taken juuuust ahead of my pick. This will be a blast!

Vada Pinson Fan
02-25-2010, 06:47 AM
Hey guys,

I just noticed in the Yahoo (Green) Title bar sent to us about the "Draft Order is now set" contains a cell phone app (on far right side). I'm likely going to use this to get the trade notifications sent to me. At the very least I'm going to check it out. You might want to do that too.

Wow! Tornon, with the 1st pick, already throws a bit of a twist at us with his selection. I feel bad for ya; reds1869, having to "settle", LOL, for someone else. :) Looks like Brutus is up next. So are we now good to go or are we waiting until Saturday at 8am to officially begin, eh Commish? :)

Good Luck Guys!

Jerry
Vada Pinson Fan

reds1869
02-25-2010, 06:54 AM
Hey guys,
I feel bad for ya; reds1869, having to "settle", LOL, for someone else. :)

Ha ha, it's rough, man. ;)

Tornon
02-25-2010, 09:35 AM
Wow! Tornon, with the 1st pick, already throws a bit of a twist at us with his selection. I feel bad for ya; reds1869, having to "settle", LOL, for someone else. :) Looks like Brutus is up next. So are we now good to go or are we waiting until Saturday at 8am to officially begin, eh Commish? :)

Yea, I usually prefer Hanley over Albert anyway and with it being dynasty & Hanley begin a few years younger just helped me go with him. And I think we are still officially waiting until 8 am Saturday to start, but if it's your turn to pick you can go ahead & do it.

reds1869
02-25-2010, 09:38 AM
Yea, I usually prefer Hanley over Albert anyway and with it being dynasty & Hanley begin a few years younger just helped me go with him. And I think we are still officially waiting until 8 am Saturday to start, but if it's your turn to pick you can go ahead & do it.

You made a great pick. Now I just have to wait on Brutus to make my decision for me...I've got my two choices ready and waiting to pull the trigger. If he takes one of them, I'll take the other. I love your pick of Hanley...he was the best available in my opinion.

I'm going to love this league. I haven't had a chance to play with such knowledgeable fans in other leagues, so you all will provide a real treat!

Brutus
02-25-2010, 12:04 PM
You made a great pick. Now I just have to wait on Brutus to make my decision for me...I've got my two choices ready and waiting to pull the trigger. If he takes one of them, I'll take the other. I love your pick of Hanley...he was the best available in my opinion.

I'm going to love this league. I haven't had a chance to play with such knowledgeable fans in other leagues, so you all will provide a real treat!

I was expecting to have Hanley at my disposal LOL. In fact, I was almost sure of it, though I knew he would be a real possibility to go before me.

I didn't realize we were starting this early (which is OK with me, I have no problems with that). I will be making my pick here within the next few hours (it might not even be that long).

Tornon
02-25-2010, 12:18 PM
I didn't realize we were starting this early (which is OK with me, I have no problems with that). I will be making my pick here within the next few hours (it might not even be that long).

We aren't really starting this early, I technically wasn't supposed to pick until Saturday but since I already knew who I wanted I made my pick just so other people could do the same to get us started early

Brutus
02-25-2010, 12:24 PM
We aren't really starting this early, I technically wasn't supposed to pick until Saturday but since I already knew who I wanted I made my pick just so other people could do the same to get us started early

Not a problem.

By the way, is this a standard rotation draft or snake?

Bumstead
02-25-2010, 12:29 PM
Snake.

We are free to pick now but there is no time limit till Saturday.

Bum

AtomicDumpling
02-25-2010, 12:41 PM
Thanks go to Vada Pinson Fan for bringing the waiver priority list to my attention. Turns out I forgot to change the waiver priority to reflect the reverse of the draft standings. I have now corrected it.

AtomicDumpling
02-25-2010, 12:48 PM
To answer some questions:

-- The draft is a snake draft. The exact draft order is listed in the "Commissioner's Note" section of the Yahoo league homepage. I will keep it updated after each pick is made.

-- The draft has now begun and you are encouraged to make your selections when your turn arises. The 10 hour timer does not officially start until 8:00am Saturday.

-- When your turn arises you need to post your selection on the Yahoo league homepage's message board. Use this format: Round.Pick Player Name -- for example 1.1 Hanley Ramirez or 7.12 Wily Taveras.

-- You can also send messages to the other owners by going to the Yahoo league homepage. Then at the top click on "Email League". Then you can select the owner or owners you would like to contact and send them a message directly from the website.

Bumstead
02-25-2010, 12:51 PM
To answer some questions:

-- The draft is a snake draft. The exact draft order is listed in the "Commissioner's Note" section of the Yahoo league homepage. I will keep it updated after each pick is made.

-- The draft has now begun and you are encouraged to make your selections when your turn arises. The 10 hour timer does not officially start until 8:00am Saturday.

-- When your turn arises you need to post your selection on the Yahoo league homepage's message board. Use this format: Round.Pick -- for example 1.1 Hanley Ramirez or 7.12 Wily Taveras.

Or: Brutus the Pimp takes Willy Taveras with pick 1.2! :D

AtomicDumpling
02-25-2010, 01:07 PM

I was surprised he wasn't taken with the 1.1 pick really. What was Tornon thinking?

Brutus
02-25-2010, 01:44 PM

Won't soon be making that selection with 102.2
:thumbup:

Brutus
02-25-2010, 03:25 PM
Albert Pujols is now a pimp.

reds1869
02-25-2010, 03:52 PM
With pick 1.3 I select Joe Mauer.

AtomicDumpling
02-25-2010, 04:38 PM
Thanks for keeping the draft moving guys. Well done.

Good picks too. I knew I had no shot at Pujols, but I thought maybe Mauer would still be available for me at pick #1.6.

I added the players to your teams. You should be able to do it yourself after the players come off waivers on Saturday.

reds1869
02-25-2010, 07:59 PM
Thanks for keeping the draft moving guys. Well done.

Good picks too. I knew I had no shot at Pujols, but I thought maybe Mauer would still be available for me at pick #1.6.

I added the players to your teams. You should be able to do it yourself after the players come off waivers on Saturday.

I'm really happy to have snagged Mauer. There is no one on his planet at catcher, much like with Ramirez and Pujols at their respective positions.

Tornon
02-25-2010, 08:29 PM
I'm really happy to have snagged Mauer. There is no one on his planet at catcher, much like with Ramirez and Pujols at their respective positions.

The only issues I'd have with picking him is hasn't there been talking with some of his injury issues with having to move him off of catcher possibly? He wouldn't be quite so elite with his numbers at 1B

reds1869
02-25-2010, 09:40 PM
The only issues I'd have with picking him is hasn't there been talking with some of his injury issues with having to move him off of catcher possibly? He wouldn't be quite so elite with his numbers at 1B

It's possible, but I think he'll stick at catcher for quite a few years.

thatcoolguy_22
02-25-2010, 11:30 PM
Sorry guys I didn't realize we were already starting.

pick 1.4 Evan Longoria

AtomicDumpling
02-25-2010, 11:39 PM

pick 1.4 Evan Longoria

Another good pick.

A note to all: Please remember to post your pick on the Yahoo league homepage message board, then email the owner of the next pick to let him know he is on the clock.

HayPay
02-26-2010, 12:10 AM
I Want Strasburg!

AtomicDumpling
02-26-2010, 12:13 AM
I Want Strasburg!

You better take him in the 1st round then. :eek:

reds1869
02-26-2010, 06:20 AM

pick 1.4 Evan Longoria

Great pick!

thatcoolguy_22
02-26-2010, 07:02 AM
Cheers fellas! Sorry didn't know about posting on the yahoo site as well. Will take care of it on the next pick. 30 rounds of this is going to be fun. I'm curious to see how the picks in rounds 12-20 stack up. minor leaguer with high upside but a year or 2 away or a 35 year old .780 OPS OF.

I think it would have been really interesting if we could have gone to some more SABR friendly stats though :) Its not too late!

I was seriously debating Braun/Longoria... I hope I made the right choice. both are elite players.

Vada Pinson Fan
02-26-2010, 08:18 AM
Thanks go to Vada Pinson Fan for bringing the waiver priority list to my attention. Turns out I forgot to change the waiver priority to reflect the reverse of the draft standings. I have now corrected it.

No problem. :) We're all here to help but truth be told you have pointed out many more things to me than I have to you. So thanks goes to you Atomic for all you've done setting up our League of Reds Nation! It'll be a blast and already is lots of fun!

Great picks guys! Save somebody for me, LOL! :thumbup:

HayPay
02-26-2010, 11:30 AM
Come on guys lets get this draft rolling.

Brutus
02-26-2010, 11:48 AM
Come on guys lets get this draft rolling.

In fairness, most people didn't think we were going to start until this weekend, or thereabouts. I know I didn't. I would not even have known had I not checked RZ yesterday.

I'm all for getting going too, but I actually was hoping to have a few days in advance to prepare. Since it's an email draft with time between picks, I don't feel rushed, at least (LOL).

Vada Pinson Fan
02-26-2010, 01:45 PM
Yeah, I'd like to see the next pick happen but like Brutus said most people didn't think we were going to start until Saturday morning. Hopefully I've put the extra time to good use.

Wonder if Taveras is predicting 100 SB's for the Nat's like he did our Redlegs last year. LOL!:rolleyes:

Vada Pinson Fan
02-26-2010, 06:14 PM
I'm sure some are wondering when the next pick will come. Joseph and I are in another league together so in addition to receiving his notice from the team choosing just before him, I sent a PM and an email to him earlier today. So hopefully he gets online and sees one of his notices to draft.

Jerry
Vada Pinson Fan

Joseph
02-26-2010, 06:22 PM
1.5 Tim Lincecum.

Let the questioning begin.

I debated Utley, I debated Kemp, I debated Braun, but I obviously decided on the freak.

reds1869
02-26-2010, 06:25 PM
1.5 Tim Lincecum.

I debated Utley, I debated Kemp, I debated Braun, but I obviously decided on the freak.

I like it. No questions from me.

Brutus
02-26-2010, 07:10 PM
1.5 Tim Lincecum.

Does his video game likeness come with it?

"We throw it inside when we have to... and we don't listen to that."

Vada Pinson Fan
02-26-2010, 07:16 PM
I won't say a thing Joseph.... until October :p: :)

AtomicDumpling
02-26-2010, 08:00 PM
1.6 Ryan Braun

Championship!

Tornon
02-26-2010, 08:04 PM
1.6 Ryan Braun

Championship!

Hmm.. I didn't think the Kansas City reliever would go this early

AtomicDumpling
02-26-2010, 08:08 PM
1.5 Tim Lincecum.

Lincecum was a great pick. I don't think anybody will question that. Dude has won two Cy Young Awards in a row and is still very young. Very solid selection.

AtomicDumpling
02-26-2010, 08:10 PM
Hmm.. I didn't think the Kansas City reliever would go this early

Darn. I accidentally picked up the Brewers outfielder instead. Shoot!

AtomicDumpling
02-26-2010, 08:24 PM
With the 7th pick of the first round HayPay selects: Ryan Howard of the Philadelphia Phillies.

HayPay is still at work but asked me in advance to post his pick for him so we could keep the draft moving.

Vada Pinson Fan is now on the clock.

HumnHilghtFreel
02-26-2010, 08:55 PM
I was hoping Howard would last up till my pick. I still have some tricks up my sleeve yet though!

AtomicDumpling
02-26-2010, 09:01 PM
I was hoping Howard would last up till my pick. I still have some tricks up my sleeve yet though!

You're going to need them! :beerme:

Vada Pinson Fan
02-26-2010, 09:41 PM
I have selected as you probably know by now Prince Fielder. At age 25 (won't even be 26 until May 9th) and the steady, dependable stats he provides it didn't take long to pull the trigger over the other few guys I had in mind.

I thought about Ryan Howard previously to him being taken but his splits vs Lefthanders concerned me. I wont comment on other players until they have been drafted. So let me hear some trash talk back!!! In case you guys didn't know; my last name is King. So King selected Prince!!!! Karma Baby Karma!!!

HumnHilghtFreel
02-26-2010, 09:50 PM
With the 9th pick, in all my brilliance,I have selected King Felix Hernandez!

Joseph
02-26-2010, 10:15 PM
Way to take the pitcher brother!

And in answer to prior posed questions, yes his video game double does come with Timmy, so I get to double all his stats right?

and c'mon Vada, October is a long way off. You know we'll both forget by then.

Vada Pinson Fan
02-26-2010, 11:43 PM
c'mon Vada, October is a long way off. You know we'll both forget by then.

Sadly, you're right Joseph. :) The old grey matter just isn't what it used to be. :eek::(:cry::cry::cry::scared::shocked::pray:

HayPay
02-27-2010, 12:20 AM
Might be the first time I've ever seen Felix picked in the first round! He's good but WOW!

AtomicDumpling
02-27-2010, 01:30 AM
Important Note:
Remember the 10 hour timer starts at 8:00am Saturday morning!

If a manager has been on the clock for 10 hours the next manager in line can skip him.

If you get skipped you can make your pick as soon as you visit the league website again.

Brutus
02-27-2010, 01:44 AM
Important Note:
Remember the 10 hour timer starts at 8:00am Saturday morning!

If a manager has been on the clock for 10 hours the next manager in line can skip him.

If you get skipped you can make your pick as soon as you visit the league website again.

Is there going to be some leeway in the cases where a pick is made late at night? I keep odd hours, so I can't see this affecting me personally, at least too much. However, I can see some sticky situations.

Say an owner makes a pick at midnight. The next owner would be on the clock and have to pick by 10 AM. Considering many folks are sleeping during that time and then get up for work, I could see how that kind of scenario might cause some problems. I don't anticipate having a problem, as I'm fortunate in that I have an occupation where I'm able to work from home. But not everyone is so lucky, LOL.

Are there any measures to give those folks the benefit of the doubt?

thatcoolguy_22
02-27-2010, 02:27 AM
When I have a pick coming up I'm going to try and send my top 2/3 to atomic. With the time zone difference, its rough over here. Basically take your AM time and switch it to PM, then add a couple of hours and you see where I'm at... I don't think it should really be much of a problem though for most. The differences between picks 211 and 213 are minimal, if you do accidently miss your window.

AtomicDumpling
02-27-2010, 02:32 AM
Is there going to be some leeway in the cases where a pick is made late at night? I keep odd hours, so I can't see this affecting me personally, at least too much. However, I can see some sticky situations.

Say an owner makes a pick at midnight. The next owner would be on the clock and have to pick by 10 AM. Considering many folks are sleeping during that time and then get up for work, I could see how that kind of scenario might cause some problems. I don't anticipate having a problem, as I'm fortunate in that I have an occupation where I'm able to work from home. But not everyone is so lucky, LOL.

Are there any measures to give those folks the benefit of the doubt?

Unfortunately, the 10 hour time limit has to be enforced without exceptions or else it will cause arguments. As commissioner I try to avoid arguments. We all agreed to the rule and we really need to keep the draft moving.

I am happy to make arrangements to keep in contact with people via email, text message or phone call. A couple of people have already made such arrangements. So there are plenty of ways to keep up to date on the draft and get your picks in on time.

If your turn is coming up and you are going to be away from a computer just send a short list of players to me or another person in the league and have them post your pick for you. You can send me a text message asking for draft updates. (PM me for my cell phone number). Or you can call me for an update.

In the worst case scenario a manager may get skipped, but it won't cost them too much because they can make their pick as soon as they log into the website. It is highly unlikely that more than a couple of picks will have been made in that interval, so the quality of available players will not have changed.

Without that time limit people don't feel any pressure to check the site often and then the draft gets really, really slow. Too slow.

Last year in the Redszone Dynasty League we had one guy that got skipped about five times, and a couple of guys that got skipped once. That was all. And that includes the last few rounds when we used a 6 hour limit.

I have participated in three slow drafts using the time limit in the last couple of years. All of those drafts went smoothly. Sure, people got skipped a few times but it was never a problem and it didn't have any effect on the quality of their teams. I think we will be OK.

Vada Pinson Fan
02-27-2010, 08:03 AM
I agree with Atomic on the 10 hour maximum time limit to make a team's current selection. Once a commissioner opens the door by not strictly adhereing to the rules, problems can and will begin. Now having said that, I'll probably have it happen to me! I hope not b/c I try to check in often like right now as the official start of 8:00am Saturday has begun.

reds1869
02-27-2010, 08:04 AM
I hope things start rolling now. I'm itching to make my next couple of picks!

Brutus
02-27-2010, 09:49 AM
Unfortunately, the 10 hour time limit has to be enforced without exceptions or else it will cause arguments. As commissioner I try to avoid arguments. We all agreed to the rule and we really need to keep the draft moving.

I am happy to make arrangements to keep in contact with people via email, text message or phone call. A couple of people have already made such arrangements. So there are plenty of ways to keep up to date on the draft and get your picks in on time.

If your turn is coming up and you are going to be away from a computer just send a short list of players to me or another person in the league and have them post your pick for you. You can send me a text message asking for draft updates. (PM me for my cell phone number). Or you can call me for an update.

In the worst case scenario a manager may get skipped, but it won't cost them too much because they can make their pick as soon as they log into the website. It is highly unlikely that more than a couple of picks will have been made in that interval, so the quality of available players will not have changed.

Without that time limit people don't feel any pressure to check the site often and then the draft gets really, really slow. Too slow.

Last year in the Redszone Dynasty League we had one guy that got skipped about five times, and a couple of guys that got skipped once. That was all. And that includes the last few rounds when we used a 6 hour limit.

I have participated in three slow drafts using the time limit in the last couple of years. All of those drafts went smoothly. Sure, people got skipped a few times but it was never a problem and it didn't have any effect on the quality of their teams. I think we will be OK.

I'm definitely all for the time limit. I think it's a fair policy. As I said, given my situation, I probably won't be affected by it. I just could see how maybe someone checked the site at 11 PM immediately after someone just picked, but still one or two people are picking before them, and go to bed thinking it wouldn't be their turn until the next early afternoon. Then voila, two picks occurred late at night lol. I do think the rule is a good one, but in a situation like that, I could see how someone may feel slighted a bit.

In any event, thanks for answering the question. Not a big deal. Just was curious about that.

Vada Pinson Fan
02-27-2010, 10:34 AM
Suggestion- If everyone (except "thatcoolguy-not really practical) would give their cell phone or home phone number's to our Commish Atomic Dumpling via email or a Redszone PM the drafting process would be faster. You could even request a text. Atomic said on this thread that he would gladly give his number out if it would help (with the draft). Be sure and share your 1st name with the Commish so Atomic can ask whomever answers your phone for you by your real name. I can't imagine, LOL, if he called and asked my wife and asked her "Is Vada there?" :) She would tell him that he has the wrong number.

Now no one wants to be bothered around the hours of 11PM through 6 or 7am (if you work a 2nd or 3rd shift let Atomic know) but at all other times this could be a benefit to us all. I have already PM'd my cell # to Atomic. Perhaps you will want to too. Just a thought.

reds1869
02-27-2010, 11:13 AM
Suggestion- If everyone (except "thatcoolguy-not really practical) would give their cell phone or home phone number's to our Commish Atomic Dumpling via email or a Redszone PM the drafting process would be faster. You could even request a text. Atomic said on this thread that he would gladly give his number out if it would help (with the draft). Be sure and share your 1st name with the Commish so Atomic can ask whomever answers your phone for you by your real name. I can't imagine, LOL, if he called and asked my wife and asked her "Is Vada there?" :) She would tell him that he has the wrong number.

Now no one wants to be bothered around the hours of 11PM through 6 or 7am (if you work a 2nd or 3rd shift let Atomic know) but at all other times this could be a benefit to us all. I have already PM'd my cell # to Atomic. Perhaps you will want to too. Just a thought.

Great idea. I've just sent Atomic my cell number.

Bumstead
02-27-2010, 12:25 PM
1.11 Tulo
2.2 Justin Upton

We'll see how that goes...

AtomicDumpling
02-27-2010, 12:28 PM
Draft update

Tornon 1.1 Hanley Ramirez
Brutus the Pimp 1.2 Albert Pujols
reds1869 1.3 Joe Mauer
thatcoolguy_22 1.4 Evan Longoria
Joseph 1.5 Tim Lincecum
Atomic Dumpling 1.6 Ryan Braun
HayPay 1.7 Ryan Howard
Vada Pinson Fan 1.8 Prince Fielder
HumnHilghtFreel 1.9 Felix Hernandez
IowaRed 1.10 Matt Kemp
Bumstead 1.11 Troy Tulowitski
Captain Hook 1.12 Mark Teixeira
Captain Hook 2.1 Jose Reyes
Bumstead 2.2 Justin Upton
IowaRed 2.3 Miguel Cabrera
HumnHilghtFreel 2.4
Vada Pinson Fan 2.5
HayPay 2.6
Atomic Dumpling 2.7
Joseph 2.8
thatcoolguy_22 2.9
reds1869 2.10
Brutus the Pimp 2.11
Tornon 2.12

-- HumnHilghtFreel is now on the clock for pick 2.4

-- The 10 hour time limit is now in effect!

-- You can now add your player to your team from the free agent list after you post your pick.

-- Refer to post #2 in this thread to see all the league rules -- especially the draft rules.

-- Remember to email the next guy in line after you make your picks.

Everyone has done a great job so far. Hopefully everyone is having fun and getting the players they wanted. It would be nice if we can get through at least a couple rounds this weekend.

AtomicDumpling
02-27-2010, 12:29 PM
1.11 Tulo
2.2 Justin Upton

We'll see how that goes...

Two young stud hitters. What more could you ask for? Well done.

HumnHilghtFreel
02-27-2010, 02:55 PM
I"m headed home from work right now, ill make my pick as soon as I get to my computer and see the whole board

Brutus
02-27-2010, 03:09 PM
I"m headed home from work right now, ill make my pick as soon as I get to my computer and see the whole board

What's that? Hideki Matsui is your pick? Good choice!

Vada Pinson Fan
02-27-2010, 03:49 PM
I'm here and waiting to make my selection just as soon as HumnHilghtFreel makes his just before me. Just a heads up. Not trying to rush you because I Freel Your Pain!!! LOL!

HumnHilghtFreel
02-27-2010, 03:59 PM
Sorry for the holdup folks!

Pick 2.4 Zack Greinke

Love having a stacked rotation,and I definitely have one here thus far.

Vada Pinson Fan
02-27-2010, 04:22 PM
My pick 2.5 has been made and it's Chase Utley. Prince Fielder and Chase Utley so far!!!
"Beisbol been berry berry good to me!!!!!!!!!!!" HayPay has been sent an email.

AtomicDumpling
02-27-2010, 04:55 PM
HayPay is still at work. He works 2nd shift. I sent him a text message with a draft update. Hopefully he can text me his pick soon.

Update: HayPay selects David Wright with pick 2.6

Atomic Dumpling is now on the clock. Since I was planning to take Wright I will need a couple minutes to choose someone else.

AtomicDumpling
02-27-2010, 07:14 PM
With the seventh pick of the second round Atomic Dumpling selects Alex Rodriguez.

Championship!

It seems like he has been a superstar for centuries, but he is still just 34 years old and I think he will continue to put up MVP numbers for a few years even without the PEDs.

Joseph is on the clock with his 2.8 pick.

Joseph
02-27-2010, 07:19 PM
2.8 Jacoby Ellsbury

SB title here I come!

AtomicDumpling
02-27-2010, 08:42 PM
A possible trade is in the works...

reds1869
02-27-2010, 08:43 PM

Ooh the suspense! :D

Vada Pinson Fan
02-27-2010, 09:23 PM
I see some movements between teams going on! Hey, I'm always willing to listen to any offers but prefer serious ones.
See moves: http://baseball.fantasysports.yahoo.com/b1/238361

thatcoolguy_22
02-27-2010, 09:34 PM
2.9 Ian Kinsler

reds1869
02-27-2010, 09:47 PM
2.10 Jon Lester

AtomicDumpling
02-27-2010, 09:53 PM
2.9 Ian Kinsler

2.10 Jon Lester

Good picks guys. Stay tuned because you may get another turn quickly.

We have really moved the draft along today. Nice. Don't forget to add your chosen player to your team after posting your pick on the message board!

Brutus the Pimp is on the clock with pick 2.11 and then Tornon has two consecutive picks -- but only one 10 hour timer.

Brutus
02-27-2010, 10:14 PM
2.11 Carl Crawford

Tornon
02-27-2010, 10:27 PM
2.12 Matt Holliday
3.1 Mark Reynolds

let the power of the M's prevail

Brutus
02-27-2010, 10:45 PM
I struggled with this one. Was leaning toward Reynolds, but when he went off the board, it was slightly easier for me.

3.2 Ryan Zimmerman

reds1869
02-27-2010, 10:53 PM
3.3 Joey Votto

Perhaps a round early based on past performance, but I think he will post much bigger power numbers this season and in the future. And I'm almost certain he will continue to hit for average. Besides, I was going to take Zimmerman so I had to go with plan B.

Brutus
02-27-2010, 10:59 PM
3.3 Joey Votto

Perhaps a round early based on past performance, but I think he will post much bigger power numbers this season and in the future. And I'm almost certain he will continue to hit for average. Besides, I was going to take Zimmerman so I had to go with plan B.

I think you took him at the right time. I even considered taking him despite having Pujols. In the end, I didn't think it was worth doing at the expense of letting a premium position slip away, but nonetheless it was the right time to take him IMHO.

reds1869
02-27-2010, 11:00 PM
I think you took him at the right time. I even considered taking him despite having Pujols. In the end, I didn't think it was worth doing at the expense of letting a premium position slip away, but nonetheless it was the right time to take him IMHO.

I'm glad to have some validation. Fangraphs agrees with me, too. I think you made an excellent pick with Zimmerman.

Brutus
02-27-2010, 11:04 PM
I'm glad to have some validation. Fangraphs agrees with me, too. I think you made an excellent pick with Zimmerman.

Yeah I'm actually glad Reynolds got taken. He's clearly the more glamorous pick of the two, but I was trying to talk myself into taking Zimmerman instead, if both were available, because I think he's (seemingly) in the process of taking his game to another level. I think Zimmerman is someone that will be very reliable for the next several years.

thatcoolguy_22
02-27-2010, 11:32 PM
3.4 Brian McCann

Premium position, age 26, and top tier. I really wanted CC here but I have a hard time every year making myself draft pitching... :)

AtomicDumpling
02-28-2010, 01:12 AM

Presenting the first trade of the season:

HayPay has traded David Wright to Atomic Dumpling for Alex Rodriguez.

The two players were drafted consecutively. David Wright was selected with the 2.6 pick and A-Rod was taken with the 2.7 pick. We were discussing our selections and decided to make the swap.

HayPay
02-28-2010, 01:23 AM
Presenting the first trade of the season:

HayPay has traded David Wright to Atomic Dumpling for Alex Rodriguez.

The two players were drafted consecutively. David Wright was selected with the 2.6 pick and A-Rod was taken with the 2.7 pick. We were discussing our selections and decided to make the swap.

Dont forget to tellem about the 10 Bucks you gave me! Just keepn it real!

AtomicDumpling
02-28-2010, 01:40 AM
Dont forget to tellem about the 10 Bucks you gave me! Just keepn it real!

Wait a minute, I thought you were giving me the $10. :nono:

thatcoolguy_22
02-28-2010, 09:02 AM
we might have our first 10 hour victim... picks 6-whenever get ready ;)

Joseph
02-28-2010, 09:23 AM
As Lee Corso says, not so fast my friend.

3.5 Adrian Gonzalez

reds1869
02-28-2010, 09:23 AM
As Lee Corso says, not so fast my friend.

3.5 Adrian Gonzalez

In before the buzzer...nicely done on a great pick.

IowaRed
02-28-2010, 11:02 AM
I'm not sure I understand the trade rules. The 2 managers just make the trade and then we decide whether we want to protest after it's already been done? I obviously wouldn't have a problem with the A-Rod/Wright trade and wouldn't suspect cheating/collusion but shouldn't we have at least a 1-day review period so that Yahoo just didn't make the switch and then have to switch back if there is a problem?

AtomicDumpling
02-28-2010, 01:02 PM
3.6 Jimmy Rollins

Championship!

AtomicDumpling
02-28-2010, 01:08 PM
I texted HayPay to let him know his turn was up. He called back immediately and asked me to post his pick as:

3.7 Clayton Kershaw

Vada Pinson Fan is now on the clock with pick 3.8!

Vada Pinson Fan
02-28-2010, 01:12 PM
I'm here and will be making my pick within an hour.

Vada Pinson Fan
02-28-2010, 01:56 PM
Pick 3.8 Ben Zobrist (2B, SS, OF)

C'mon guys, where's the chatter around here? Good pick in your opinion or bad? Or :dunno:

Joseph
02-28-2010, 01:59 PM
nice pick.

Vada Pinson Fan
02-28-2010, 02:15 PM
Thank You Joseph. It came down to 4 guys and Zobrist at this time in my opinion represented the best value.

AtomicDumpling
02-28-2010, 02:21 PM
I'm not sure I understand the trade rules. The 2 managers just make the trade and then we decide whether we want to protest after it's already been done? I obviously wouldn't have a problem with the A-Rod/Wright trade and wouldn't suspect cheating/collusion but shouldn't we have at least a 1-day review period so that Yahoo just didn't make the switch and then have to switch back if there is a problem?

If anyone has a real problem with any trade you can feel free to send me a private message detailing your concerns. If your argument has merit I will take action -- either by quickly and quietly canceling the trade or putting it up to a non-anonymous league-wide vote or merely by asking the two owners to re-work the trade. Cheating and collusion are the only reasons to cancel a trade. Don't protest a trade because you think it is lopsided or stupid. We are all experienced skilled managers here so nobody is going to get taken advantage of by a ruthless bully.

The fastest and surest way to destroy a league is to veto trades. Allowing competing owners to review trades made by other owners is a guaranteed way to start arguments and create bitterness. There is nothing worse than having an exciting trade derailed by jealous competitors.

We want to encourage trades in this league. Without a yearly redraft, trades are the primary and most effective method of improving and balancing your team. We can't have a system where making a trade creates a confrontational and combative situation where owners are forced to defend and explain their moves to hostile opponents. That will cause a natural hesitancy and reluctance to make trades and will lead to a stale, boring, inactive league. Nor can we have a system where people can anonymously torpedo their competitors' moves for often selfish reasons.

This is a league among established members of the Redszone community with reputations to uphold. There is no prize money to tempt people to behave unethically. I don't think we are going to see people cheating or colluding, so there is no reason to enact a veto process that will surely lead to strife and ill will.

Trades are about combined stats and roster balance, not famous names. Strategies vary widely in dynasty leagues, so a trade that may seem wacko at first glance will probably make perfect sense if you look deeper. Some people may be planning years in advance while others are trying to optimize for the short term. People have different opinions of a player's value and we don't have the right to overrule them just because we don't agree.

People played fantasy sports for decades before the veto was invented. In the early days of Internet-based fantasy sports it was often possible for one person to get two teams in one league, so cheating and collusion was a problem -- especially if money was involved. But somehow newcomers to fantasy sports came to believe the veto was there so other owners could judge the balance of a trade. My experience has proven most trades are vetoed to keep a strong owner from improving his team rather than prevent cheating. Vetoes only have a place in big-money leagues and random public leagues without a commissioner.

We definitely need to keep our league fair, and we will. But we also need to keep it friendly, active and fun.

AtomicDumpling
02-28-2010, 02:23 PM
Pick 3.8 Ben Zobrist (2B, SS, OF)

C'mon guys, where's the chatter around here? Good pick in your opinion or bad? Or :dunno:

Zobrist came out of nowhere last season to have a fantastic year. If he can do it again this year then you will get great value with this selection.

Tornon
02-28-2010, 02:49 PM
I dunno, I'm still a little skeptical of Zobrist

IowaRed
02-28-2010, 03:08 PM
Ok and while I certainly disagree with a lot of what you said, I was really asking about the procedure. I've never been in a league in 15 years of fantasy sports where the trade was made and passed, THEN the rest of the league was notified and allowed to review and protest if necessary. If you are going to trust the leagues participants to be honest, knowledgable, reputable, and non-hostile, don't you have to trust them not to veto trades because they don't want somebody to have a good team or other ridiculous reason?

AtomicDumpling
02-28-2010, 03:27 PM
Ok and while I certainly disagree with a lot of what you said, I was really asking about the procedure. I've never been in a league in 15 years of fantasy sports where the trade was made and passed, THEN the rest of the league was notified and allowed to review and protest if necessary. If you are going to trust the leagues participants to be honest, knowledgable, reputable, and non-hostile, don't you have to trust them not to veto trades because they don't want somebody to have a good team or other ridiculous reason?

Well I respect your opinion. Maybe the topic will come up at the end of the season when we discuss possible rule changes for next year.

The rules and settings in this league are based on solid experience as a commissioner and player in previous leagues, including the Redszone Dynasty League on which this league is based. These rules are not experimental or based on personal preference but rather are the battle hardened, time tested result from years of hard-earned experience. I don't anticipate problems but you never know. I am not a dictatorial commissioner hungry for power. I am perfectly happy to listen to all suggestions and am willing to make changes that will improve the league. These are the rules for this year, but we will discuss any new ideas at the end of the season for possible implementation next season.

This trade procedure has worked well in other leagues and I think it will be fine again, but we can monitor the situation as the season progresses and make changes if necessary.

Like any other transaction, a trade doesn't take effect until the next day. So there will be time to correct any egregious trades if we need to.

Brutus
02-28-2010, 03:38 PM
Isn't now a good time to discuss rule changes, at least changes that don't affect the draft, considering the league hasn't even started yet? I would think this is a perfect time to discuss rules. It seems like if people thought something should be discussed, there's no reason waiting another year since we're still a month from the season beginning.

I'm neither here nor there on the trade thing. I have been in leagues where protests or votes can be made on trades, but I've almost never protested any. The only time I've had issues with trades that are lopsided are because they were lopsided among friends and other owners didn't at least get a heads up that someone was available for trade.

I can see Iowa's point, though. There needs to be mutual trust both ways.

I'll admit I don't agree with the 'these are the rules' philosophy for this year. It's not even March. If folks think something should be discussed in advance, I don't see a reason to put that off until next season.

HumnHilghtFreel
02-28-2010, 03:45 PM
Maybe a little bit of a reach here, but with pick 3.9 I have taken Chone Figgins.

I'm expecting a big year from him, and getting good speed numbers from a corner spot is a huge plus to me.

Tornon
02-28-2010, 03:57 PM
I loved having Figgins on my team last year

Brutus
02-28-2010, 04:15 PM
Panda sighting!

reds1869
02-28-2010, 04:15 PM
Nice picks.

AtomicDumpling
02-28-2010, 04:16 PM
Geez. Do we really need to haggle over rules right now? This is supposed to be fun.

It is not a "these are the rules" approach when the rules were included in the invitation and posted in post #2 of this thread.

There is mutual trust both ways. I trust all of you not to cheat and not to protest trades without good reason. I hope you all trust me to be impartial and not to intervene in the league without good reason. Once the season starts I will be just another player in the league and will probably never have to intervene as commissioner. I see myself as the guy that sets up the league and gets the ball rolling. This is a fun hobby for me. I really don't like arguing or debating things.

The draft is well underway. People are making their selections based on the current rules. It wouldn't be fair to make changes now. The rules are all very standard, common, normal rules that really don't need to be debated. There is nothing unusual or out of the ordinary here. Standard 5x5 roto league with 30 man rosters.

We have a full day to protest a trade as it stands. If a trade is so out of line as to warrant a reversal I think it will be called out immediately. Adding an extra day or two only slows down the trading process without any benefit. If a majority of owners feel it necessary to put in a trade delay we can do so.

I really don't see the issue here. Just don't cheat and you won't have a problem. If anybody cheats the trade will be reversed. It is as simple as that. I really, really don't think there will be any cheating.

AtomicDumpling
02-28-2010, 04:20 PM
Chone Figgins and Pablo Sandoval have been selected. Bumstead is now on the clock to be followed by Captain Hook.

reds1869
02-28-2010, 04:22 PM
Well said, commish. I think the rules are just fine.

AtomicDumpling
02-28-2010, 04:27 PM
Panda sighting!

Sandoval will be an interesting player to watch this year. Too bad he doesn't qualify at catcher anymore. It was a good selection by IowaRed.

thatcoolguy_22
02-28-2010, 04:30 PM
Thanks please keep the updates running on redszone. I will be at work for the next 10 hours and do not have access to the yahoo site (air force filters the internet...)

i like the panda pick. well played. also zobrist still qualifies at SS so as long as he stays close to what he did last year he will be a steal.

IowaRed
02-28-2010, 06:26 PM
I did miss the trade rules in the invite and was quite surprised to see them as they are when I went back and checked. I agree that the rules shouldn't be changed once a draft starts (unless there is a blatant error made during set-up). We obviously have differences of opinion concerning trades, vetos, and the trust we have in fellow competitors who we really don't know and that isn't necessarily a bad thing. I'm hoping it all works out and this is a long-running, competitive and high quality league.

Vada Pinson Fan
02-28-2010, 08:59 PM
Wow guys take a deep breath and fagetaboudit. :)

As far as Zobrist goes when I narrowed it from 4 to 2 players, it came down to BZ and Pablo Sandoval. Usually I don't like to take a guy that has just the one outstanding year but with his position flexability,speed, size, power, + lack of quality at the position(s) I (may) need him, at that point it became an obvious choice for my team I'm building. Ask me in October........................................... ................................2020, LOL, if I made the right choice, LOL!!!!

Jerry

PS- Who's up? Wonder if I'll get a chance to make a pick tonight? I'll be up til midnight ET. then may still make a pick up until one am. for those drafting after me.

HayPay
02-28-2010, 09:30 PM
Iowa Red is now on the clock.Good job guys were speedn up abit.

HayPay
02-28-2010, 11:04 PM
Human Highlight Freel is now on the clock. Iowa Red selects B.J. Upton with pick 4.3.

HumnHilghtFreel
03-01-2010, 01:49 AM
Pick 4.4 Aaron Hill

AtomicDumpling
03-01-2010, 02:08 AM
Pick 4.4 Aaron Hill

His numbers were fantastic last year.

Vada Pinson Fan
03-01-2010, 03:14 AM
4.5 Adam Wainwright_________3/1___2:48am EDT = Time selected
3.8 Ben Zobrist ____________ 2/28___1:55pm
2.5 Chase Utley ____________2/27___4:16pm
1.8 Prince Fielder ___________2/26___9:31pm

HayPay
03-01-2010, 08:13 AM
With pick4.6 HayPay select Roy Halladay! Getting out of the A.L. East and on a good team, and getting to face a pitcher! Like Tom Petty sings "The Sky Was The Limit."

Vada Pinson Fan
03-01-2010, 08:19 AM
Nice pick Hay. I considered Roy but I'm sure if you look at Wainwright you know why I took Adam. I had Halladay on a CBS league team last year and he had a stretch where he couldn't buy a win and may have had a tired arm at that point in time but what a great horse of a pitcher he is. Good Luck!!! He should do very well with the Phillies.

Jerry

Tornon
03-01-2010, 09:23 AM
Halladay's also moving to the NL though.. that could be kind of evil

Bumstead
03-01-2010, 09:48 AM
3.11 Justin Verlander
4.2 Dan Haren

Pretty happy with that.

The rules are fine with me. In the many leagues I have participated in, the one thing that has caused the most problems has been giving other owners the ability to vote on the validity of every trade. It's really hard to understand what each owner is thinking even when the trade "seems" somewhat one-sided to the owners not involved.

Bum

Brutus
03-01-2010, 10:15 AM
I don't think anyone should be happy with their roster unless they've assembled an outfield of Austin Kearns, Wily Taveras and Wily Mo Pena. Somebody. Go ahead. Make this happen.

HayPay
03-01-2010, 10:56 AM
Get ready "Brutus". I predict "Atomic Dumpling" will make his next selection by noon. My prediction is B. Phillips or Gr. Sizemore.

AtomicDumpling
03-01-2010, 11:49 AM
Get ready "Brutus". I predict "Atomic Dumpling" will make his next selection by noon. My prediction is B. Phillips or Gr. Sizemore.

You were right about the noon prediction.

With the seventh pick of the fourth round Atomic Dumpling selects:

4.7 Victor Martinez

Championship!

Vada Pinson Fan
03-01-2010, 12:13 PM
I don't think anyone should be happy with their roster unless they've assembled an outfield of Austin Kearns, Wily Taveras and Wily Mo Pena. Somebody. Go ahead. Make this happen.

Sadly Brutus, our Reds already did, not so long ago:( :confused: but now they're gone:dancingco:bowrofl::wave: (The Wonder Years-Wonder why we thought they would be any good?) but not forgotten, so we don't make the same mistake(s) yet again!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Joseph
03-01-2010, 12:56 PM
4.8 Beckham, Gordon. 3B, though I'd like him listed as a second baseman please.

thats just me doing an impression of the guys doing the draft each year, I know he'll get 2b eligibility sometime in April and we have no control over that setting.

Brutus
03-01-2010, 01:24 PM
I really wanted Beckham, and considered him for this next pick. It may be too early for him relative to this year, but that's probably a pick that will be enjoyed for the next several. Good pick, Joseph.

reds1869
03-01-2010, 01:59 PM
4.8 Beckham, Gordon. 3B, though I'd like him listed as a second baseman please.

thats just me doing an impression of the guys doing the draft each year, I know he'll get 2b eligibility sometime in April and we have no control over that setting.

Superb pick. As so often happens, I was leaning towards him with my next pick. Oh well, nice snag!

Vada Pinson Fan
03-01-2010, 02:50 PM
Nice pick Joseph. I also agree and think Beckham should reward you for years to come. I also gave thought to Victor Martinez and that pick of Martinez was also a nice selection by Atomic. I had Victor on my team during his injury year where he went on the DL for quite a long time and I didn't want history, LOL, to bite me in the butt again. One of those debated picks where I went back and forth between Wainwright and V-Mart, Came close to taking Victor but went with my original plan to take Wainwright here(rd.4) if he was available. I'm thinking Benito Santiago should come out of retirement and have a big year for me as my 30th round selection!!! j/k LOL!!!

The draft seems to have slowed down again so I'm hoping the front of the draft guys breeze through their picks and we can pick up some momentum. Continued success guys!!!

reds1869
03-01-2010, 02:57 PM
Nice pick Joseph. I also agree and think Beckham should reward you for years to come. I also gave thought to Victor Martinez and that pick of Martinez was also a nice selection by Atomic. I had Victor on my team during his injury year where he went on the DL for quite a long time and I didn't want history, LOL, to bite me in the butt again. One of those debated picks where I went back and forth between Wainwright and V-Mart, Came close to taking Victor but went with my original plan to take Wainwright here(rd.4) if he was available. I'm thinking Benito Santiago should come out of retirement and have a big year for me as my 30th round selection!!! j/k LOL!!!

The draft seems to have slowed down again so I'm hoping the front of the draft guys breeze through their picks and we can pick up some momentum. Continued success guys!!!

thatcoolguy is on a big time shift, so it will be slow when his picks come around. As soon as he picks and I see it, I'm on mine!

thatcoolguy_22
03-01-2010, 03:58 PM
Sorry for the delay fellas.

4.9 Grady Sizemore

"Count it"

Vada Pinson Fan
03-01-2010, 04:44 PM
thatcoolguy is on a big time shift, so it will be slow when his picks come around. As soon as he picks and I see it, I'm on mine!

Thanks reds1869. I always like to give people drafting after me notice that, for example, "I'm here and will be drafting soon". Just a good sportsmanship thing.

Wonder whom out of all of us has taken the longest to draft? Just curious. Everyone has done a pretty good job so far but as with anything we can always do better!

Tornon
03-01-2010, 04:57 PM
I think I've been one of the shortest so far, but it doesn't hurt being one of the bookends & getting the 2 picks right next to each other

HumnHilghtFreel
03-01-2010, 06:01 PM
Thanks reds1869. I always like to give people drafting after me notice that, for example, "I'm here and will be drafting soon". Just a good sportsmanship thing.

Wonder whom out of all of us has taken the longest to draft? Just curious. Everyone has done a pretty good job so far but as with anything we can always do better!

I kinda hung you out to dry last night with when I picked. I have to work around my work schedule, sorry for that

Joseph
03-01-2010, 06:12 PM
Thanks for the affirmation folks. Obviously if this was a single year draft this is way too high for Beckham, but as this is set up as a long term keeper league type deal I think we all have reconsidered our priorities. Solid vets like Jeter are still out there, but young kids like Beckham and others are coming off in hopes of putting together a dynasty. Yeah there certainly are players who would have given more production THIS year, but for years to come the gamble obviously is that he has a lot to offer.

reds1869
03-01-2010, 06:50 PM
4.10 Robinson Cano.

Brutus
03-01-2010, 08:17 PM
Really caught off guard, as I think I had Cano penciled in this pick for my team for about 24 hours LOL. So I'll have to adjust on the fly and go with B.P. at 4.11.

So the 4-11 is BP at 4.11.

Tornon
03-01-2010, 08:27 PM
Well, I guess we are starting a trend because I for sure was going with Markakis & Phillips so I had to shift a bit as well and had to go a little older than I wanted

4.12 Nick Markakis
5.1 Brian Roberts

Go Orioles

Brutus
03-01-2010, 08:32 PM
I will be making my next pick here very shortly. Hold tight with me and reds1869 will be back up on the clock. Shouldn't be too long.

Brutus
03-01-2010, 08:59 PM
5.2 Curtis Granderson

reds1869
03-01-2010, 09:19 PM
5.3 Elvis Andrus. The future is now...I feel good about this kid.

Tornon
03-01-2010, 09:29 PM
5.3 Elvis Andrus. The future is now...I feel good about this kid.

Pffft.. he ain't nothin but a hound dog

reds1869
03-01-2010, 09:54 PM
Pffft.. he ain't nothin but a hound dog

And you'll be cryin' all the time. :D

Joseph
03-01-2010, 10:22 PM
I think my pick will hit while I'm asleep, so to keep things moving I'm going to PM my top choices to Atomic so things can keep going.

Vada Pinson Fan
03-01-2010, 11:31 PM
Thanks for the affirmation folks. Obviously if this was a single year draft this is way too high for Beckham, but as this is set up as a long term keeper league type deal I think we all have reconsidered our priorities. Solid vets like Jeter are still out there, but young kids like Beckham and others are coming off in hopes of putting together a dynasty. Yeah there certainly are players who would have given more production THIS year, but for years to come the gamble obviously is that he has a lot to offer.

Ran across an interesting article in today's Cincinnati Enquirer about how many Reds fans feel the Reds should have taken Beckham with their 8th pick in the first round that year instead of Yonder Alonso. Valid points are made that no one knew Joey Votto would be THIS good and the offensive talents of Alonso made him just too good to pass up. If I have 2 guys of somewhat similar collegiate talent, I take the one that offers greater position flexibilty (Beckham) and with the Reds having nobody in the pipeline at that time at 3rd and using starter Edwin Encarnacion, I would have thought the Reds would have indeed taken Gordon Beckham. Oh well, the Reds also passed on drafting Derek Jeter and Tim Lincecum so not drafting Beckham certainly isn't a surprise.

Vada Pinson Fan
03-01-2010, 11:36 PM
I think my pick will hit while I'm asleep, so to keep things moving I'm going to PM my top choices to Atomic so things can keep going.

Thanks Joseph. I'll make my pick too just like last night when it was somewhere around 2am when I made my selection (2 rounds ago), I think it was. It is appreciated alot to have the advance notice Joseph!!! Thanks again.

Jerry

AtomicDumpling
03-02-2010, 12:04 AM

I got the PM with your picks. I will be up for a couple more hours, so if thatcoolguy_22 posts his pick soon we may get through 3-5 picks yet tonight.

thatcoolguy_22
03-02-2010, 01:41 AM
Sorry fellas, just got off of work

5.4 Kendry Morales

AtomicDumpling
03-02-2010, 02:03 AM
5.5 Adam Lind -- Joseph
5.6 Kevin Youkilis -- Atomic Dumpling

HayPay is on the clock...

HayPay
03-02-2010, 02:18 AM
Pick 5.7 HayPay select OF Jay Bruuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuce!

AtomicDumpling
03-02-2010, 02:31 AM
Pick 5.7 HayPay select OF Jay Bruuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuce!

Might have to work out a trade after the draft. :beerme:

Vada Pinson Fan
03-02-2010, 07:11 AM
5.8 Jason Bay

reds1869
03-02-2010, 07:16 AM
5.8 Jason Bay

Nice pick. I hope there are still some good players left for my next pick, lol. That is the worst thing about a snake draft!

thatcoolguy_22
03-02-2010, 08:03 AM
Nice pick. I hope there are still some good players left for my next pick, lol. That is the worst thing about a snake draft!

True. When I'm close to a bookend I usually end up reaching for players. I expect a run on 1B or SP only to see the run on catchers happen and I'm left with ramon hernandez or the like...

reds1869
03-02-2010, 08:07 AM
True. When I'm close to a bookend I usually end up reaching for players. I expect a run on 1B or SP only to see the run on catchers happen and I'm left with ramon hernandez or the like...

I'm glad I snagged Mauer early. My worry is outfielders. There are plenty of solid ones, of course, but the elite ones are almost gone.

HayPay
03-02-2010, 11:18 AM
j bruce is available for the taking. i would think that trading him for a 7th and 9th round selection would be a fair price. i will throw in my 15th round selection.

Bumstead
03-02-2010, 11:33 AM
j bruce is available for the taking. i would think that trading him for a 7th and 9th round selection would be a fair price. i will throw in my 15th round selection.

For my 5th round pick? How about 6th/8th/15th?

edited: never mind. I was confused. I don't want to trade picks for him at this point.

Vada Pinson Fan
03-02-2010, 11:34 AM
Forgot to mention previously that HumnHilghtFreel has been notified it's his turn (5.9) through the league emailer right after I made my pick.

Vada Pinson Fan
03-02-2010, 11:40 AM

Thank you reds1869. Jason Bay seemed to make the most sense for me at that time and I was looking for an outfielder to give me plus points in all five scoring categories. Bay fit the bill. Had a bit of reservation about him playing in the Mets new ball park (2009) but if Bay can't deal with its pitcher friendliness who can? I think it's more what batter faces what pitcher at that point in time more so than anything else this side of Yellowstone Park! LOL.

I know what you mean about a snake draft and wondering what's going to be left when it's your/my turn. That's why I prefer to draft 6th in a 12 team league. Always right there in the middle as opposed to being on the bookends and waiting for a seemingly eternity to pick again especially in a slow draft like this.

Good Luck to you "reds"!!!

Jerry

AtomicDumpling
03-02-2010, 01:10 PM
On behalf of HumnHilghtFreel:

5.9 Andrew McCutchen

IowaRed is now on the clock and has been sent an email.

reds1869
03-02-2010, 01:46 PM

Haypay, I sent a pm your way. I also meant to still include your 15th rounder in there. Let me know what you think, I'm open to negotiation.

HayPay
03-02-2010, 02:03 PM
The wheels on the Bus go round and round!

Vada Pinson Fan
03-02-2010, 02:30 PM
The wheels on the Bus go round and round!

Too funny and very timely!

AtomicDumpling
03-02-2010, 02:48 PM
I am happy with the level of enthusiasm and energy happening in this league right now. Everybody is participating in the discussion. The draft is going smoothly because everyone is paying close attention. Trade talks are flying. This is going to be a fun season.

What do you guys think of the slow draft format? Do you like being able to take your time and make a wise decision? Or would you rather burn through it in a blaze of glory in a 90 minute live draft?

reds1869
03-02-2010, 02:56 PM
I am happy with the level of enthusiasm and energy happening in this league right now. Everybody is participating in the discussion. The draft is going smoothly because everyone is paying close attention. Trade talks are flying. This is going to be a fun season.

What do you guys think of the slow draft format? Do you like being able to take your time and make a wise decision? Or would you rather burn through it in a blaze of glory in a 90 minute live draft?

I absolutely love the slow draft. I was telling my wife how I'm spending all day thinking about draft strategy, lol.

I responded to your message...the trade is official.

AtomicDumpling
03-02-2010, 03:00 PM
Breaking News Alert

ESPN is reporting that Jay Bruce has been traded to reds1869. Let's go now to our Cincinnati bureau for further details...

HayPay has traded outfielder Jay Bruce and his 15th round pick to reds1869 in exchange for his 8th and 9th round picks.

The official draft order has been updated in the Commissioner's Note section of the Yahoo league homepage.

Bumstead
03-02-2010, 03:00 PM

I like doing the draft like this. Everybody has time to make their picks and half the league isn't "auto-picking." It makes the draft a lot more interesting.

Bum

HumnHilghtFreel
03-02-2010, 03:53 PM
IowaRed has taken Morneau I saw, Bumstead, you're up

Bumstead
03-02-2010, 04:02 PM
5.11 Andre Ethier.

reds1869
03-02-2010, 04:34 PM
5.11 Andre Ethier.

Nice pick.

Bumstead
03-02-2010, 04:42 PM
Thanks. Was considering McCutchen and then Bam! Biff! Bap! he was gone...:eek:

reds1869
03-02-2010, 04:43 PM
Thanks. Was considering McCutchen and then Bam! Biff! Bap! he was gone...:eek:

I was interested in both of those guys. You can tell the people in this league think a like, i.e. we think of nothing but baseball most of the time.

Vada Pinson Fan
03-02-2010, 04:44 PM
Hey Bum, Good choice. I had been doing some extra research on Ethier and I was going to give him some strong consideration and hoped he would survive another couple of rounds.

Enjoy your artful dodger, Bum!

Jerry

Vada Pinson Fan
03-02-2010, 04:48 PM
Breaking News Alert

ESPN is reporting that Jay Bruce has been traded to reds1869. Let's go now to our Cincinnati bureau for further details...

HayPay has traded outfielder Jay Bruce and his 15th round pick to reds1869 in exchange for his 8th and 9th round picks.

The official draft order has been updated in the Commissioner's Note section of the Yahoo league homepage.

That's cool how you announced the trade Mr. Commissioner. Nice touch!!!

HumnHilghtFreel
03-02-2010, 04:57 PM
I get antsy for the turn to make its way back to me now that I'm off work LOL

I'm sitting here going through all my options

reds1869
03-02-2010, 05:04 PM
That's cool how you announced the trade Mr. Commissioner. Nice touch!!!

I agree, that was awesome!

Vada Pinson Fan
03-02-2010, 05:10 PM

I know how you feel but lately I've just been hoping for an afternoon or evening pick :) instead of waiting up til 2am, :sleep: . However this draft is alot of fun and enjoy it regardless of the time.....and wait.

Good Luck wih your remaining draft HHF!!!

Jerry

Captain Hook
03-02-2010, 05:26 PM

With the 12th or 1st pick your waiting a long time.It's very easy to get antsy and not only that you change your mind about what you want to do almost every time someone picks even if that pick isn't someone you're thinking about.

I like this though.Take your time when your up and there should be no questioning yourself in the end.No excuses either.

Vada Pinson Fan
03-02-2010, 05:32 PM
With the 12th or 1st pick your waiting a long time.It's very easy to get antsy and not only that you change your mind about what you want to do almost every time someone picks even if that pick isn't someone you're thinking about.

I like this though.Take your time when your up and there should be no questioning yourself in the end.No excuses either.

Absolutely Captain and you along with Tornon have it twice as nice,j/k, having to wait extra long between the times your selections roll around since yours are bunched together.

Bumstead
03-02-2010, 05:36 PM
6.2 Josh Johnson

Iowa Red is on the clock.

Bum

HumnHilghtFreel
03-02-2010, 06:00 PM
6.3 IowaRed takes Matt Wieters
6.4 I took Michael Bourn

A bit of an interesting pick, a tough choice for me to go with there, but it was a calculated maneuver. With Figgins, McCutcheon and now Bourn, I feel like I should be able to make a strong run at Runs and SB with all the guys also having fairly high averages hopefully.

Definitely going to need to supplement my power somehow now though

Tornon
03-02-2010, 06:21 PM
Absolutely Captain and you along with Tornon have it twice as nice,j/k, having to wait extra long between the times your selections roll around since yours are bunched together.

On the one hand it kinda sucks because I know I will have to wait awhile between picks after I make 2, but on the other hand I can basically take 24 hours off after I make picks rather than sitting on call not wanting people to wait on me

Vada Pinson Fan
03-02-2010, 08:01 PM
I agree with you Tornon. This is so much fun I'd really rather not want to wait 24 hrs. but what choice do you have? Good Luck to you!!!

I will make my pick right around 8:15pm. Having trade talks right now.

With selection 6.5 Team Vada Pinson Fan selects (using the voice of Yankee's PA announcer ret. Bob Shepard) D E R E K___ J E T E R

HayPay has been notified.

AtomicDumpling
03-02-2010, 08:51 PM
HayPay is still at work so I texted him to let him know it is his turn. He will probably let me know who he wants to pick soon.

Update: HayPay selects 6.6 Jonathan Broxton.

AtomicDumpling
03-02-2010, 10:16 PM
6.7 Billy Butler

Championship!

HayPay
03-03-2010, 07:18 AM
From my calculations pick #6.8 has approx.? 55 minutes b4 That Cool Guy at #6.9 is on the clock.

That cool guy will be on the clock at 8:16 am East D.T.

thatcoolguy_22
03-03-2010, 08:03 AM
From my calculations pick #6.8 has approx.? 55 minutes b4 That Cool Guy at #6.9 is on the clock.

That cool guy will be on the clock at 8:16 am East D.T.

reds1869
03-03-2010, 08:13 AM

Don't take my guy...don't take my guy...don't take my guy. ;)

thatcoolguy_22
03-03-2010, 08:27 AM
time now 10:25am est. I'm assuming I'm good to go right?

6.9 Tommy Hanson

and if that was your guy then we think eerily alike. You have gotten 2 of my guys already if you include the Bruce trade (that I didn't see was offered until it was already finalized :) )

thatcoolguy_22
03-03-2010, 08:31 AM
Now everyone hurry up and pick and I might be able to get my 7.4 in before bed time :D

reds1869
03-03-2010, 08:31 AM
time now 10:25am est. I'm assuming I'm good to go right?

6.9 Tommy Hanson

and if that was your guy then we think eerily alike. You have gotten 2 of my guys already if you include the Bruce trade (that I didn't see was offered until it was already finalized :) )

And...you did it. Unbelievable! Great pick, though.

thatcoolguy_22
03-03-2010, 08:33 AM
And...you did it. Unbelievable! Great pick, though.

HAHAHAHAHA! You got me on Joey Votto. One pick before I was going to take him. Touche kind sir!

And don't forget Joseph can pick at any time. 6.8 is still good, but when its your pick you can feel free to jump

reds1869
03-03-2010, 08:37 AM
HAHAHAHAHA! You got me on Joey Votto. One pick before I was going to take him. Touche kind sir!

We need to get together if I'm ever in Korea or when you are back in the states...great minds think alike! I guess now we are even.

My next pick is 6.10 Aramis Ramirez. Yep, I took a Cub...sue me.

thatcoolguy_22
03-03-2010, 08:44 AM
We need to get together if I'm ever in Korea or when you are back in the states...great minds think alike! I guess now we are even.

I'm game. I'm going to catch a home stand at GABP in June.

reds1869
03-03-2010, 08:54 AM
I'm game. I'm going to catch a home stand at GABP in June.

Sweet. Let me know the details when you get a chance.

Tornon
03-03-2010, 09:02 AM
It looks like Joseph took Jason Heyward with his pick that got skipped

reds1869
03-03-2010, 09:03 AM
It looks like Joseph took Jason Heyward with his pick that got skipped

Yep, that was a nice pick. Now let's see if I can swipe one from coolguy's list again. :D

Tornon
03-03-2010, 09:04 AM
Well I have my 2 picks ready when Brutus picks.. I guess I have to assume that he will be picking one of them with the way this draft seems to be going?

reds1869
03-03-2010, 09:09 AM
Well I have my 2 picks ready when Brutus picks.. I guess I have to assume that he will be picking one of them with the way this draft seems to be going?

Yep, and he'll take one of mine if you don't do it first! Hopefully you guys can fly through them so I can pick before work. If not, it will be a bit before I can make my selection, and I really don't know who I want until you all are done decimating my list.

thatcoolguy_22
03-03-2010, 09:10 AM
Yep, that was a nice pick. Now let's see if I can swipe one from coolguy's list again. :D

Now why would you say something like that? ;)

Hopefully you guys can fly through them so I can pick before work. If not, it will be a bit before I can make my selection, and I really don't know who I want until you all are done decimating my list.

substitute sleep for work and I'm in his boat

Brutus
03-03-2010, 10:09 AM

Tommy Hanson was GOING to be my pick here. But low and behold I log on to find he just got taken two picks before, and would have been taken a pick before.

Unreal.

Brutus
03-03-2010, 10:12 AM
6.11 goes Yovani Gallardo, thanks for that(un)cool guy that just took Hanson from underneath me lol

Tornon
03-03-2010, 10:14 AM
Well my picks went through as planned..

6.12 Ichiro
7.1 Adam Dunn

Went a little bit older, but guys that should still be productive for awhile

thatcoolguy_22
03-03-2010, 10:15 AM
I'm going to take Wily Taveras in the 7th. Now someone take my next pick! (good move on Gallardo he was going to leave the building at 7.4)

Brutus
03-03-2010, 10:27 AM
7.2 to Ubaldo Jiminez.

HayPay
03-03-2010, 10:39 AM
looks like reds1869 is on the clock again with pick 7.3 and then thatcoolguy will be able to get some sleep. im glad joseph got his pick in Heyward is a monster!

thatcoolguy_22
03-03-2010, 10:47 AM
looks like reds1869 is on the clock again with pick 7.3 and then thatcoolguy will be able to get some sleep. im glad joseph got his pick in Heyward is a monster!

I'm out fellas. I sent my top 2 choices to AD for my pick. Heyward is going to be a beast. I'm thinking Grendel mixed with one of those armor clad bears in Golden Compass. Easy

Vada Pinson Fan
03-03-2010, 11:26 AM
Well I should have known you: Joseph would be the guy to take Jason Heyward right off of my next pick list. You just made an outstanding selection!!! Now if and when Bobby Cox tells Heyward he has made the team your slection is golden!!! For those that may not have seen Mr. Heyward to this point- Jason is an almost slightly larger size clone of Fred McGriff and the guy seemingly hits like there is no tomorrow. A tip of the cap (my highest compliment) to you Joseph. I kept pushing the envelope and hopefully wanting a better bargain for him in a later round but obviously I waited too long. Congratulations!!! :) :notworthy

HumnHilghtFreel
03-03-2010, 11:33 AM
I never know when to take the young guys that havent quite made the show yet. I actually had Heyward high on my draft board(oh yeah, i totally have a dry erase board). Good pick

Joseph
03-03-2010, 11:48 AM
Yeah, the pick fell just like I was afraid would happen to me and I didn't get in a pick to Atomic. I still got the guy I wanted to take though, so aside from making you guys wait the full ten hours no harm no foul.

I really have been impressed with Heyward in what I have seen. If he and Beckham live up to the hype I should have a couple beasts in the coming seasons. I don't know how solid either will be this year, but if I have to take some lumps this year to dominate down the line I can live with that.

Though hopefully I'll end up with a reasonable balance.

Vada Pinson Fan
03-03-2010, 12:28 PM
I never know when to take the young guys that havent quite made the show yet. I actually had Heyward high on my draft board(oh yeah, i totally have a dry erase board). Good pick

That's the problem with top minor league guys in a league such as ours. it's a gut feeling combined with how the draft is unfolding and like Joseph said he may take some lumps this year in lieu of a masher that may pan out to be the equal of a 1.1 selection down the road.

Joseph
03-03-2010, 12:46 PM
Thats certainly my hope Jerry.

HumnHilghtFreel
03-03-2010, 02:16 PM
Reds1869 and thatcoolguy have picked by proxy, Adam Jones and Jair Jurrjens.

Joseph is back on the clock

Tornon
03-03-2010, 02:50 PM
Joseph appears to have taken Cole Hamels

AtomicDumpling
03-03-2010, 03:21 PM
7.6 Johan Santana

Championship!

Little bit of injury risk here, but he could also be the best pitcher in the whole flippin' league too. I'll go for it.

HayPay is on the clock for 7.7 so I will text him a draft update. He works 2nd shift. He will likely respond soon.

Bumstead
03-03-2010, 03:23 PM
7.6 Johan Santana

Championship!

Little bit of injury risk here, but he could also be the best pitcher in the whole flippin' league too. I'll go for it.

ahhhh....the temptation has been removed! :D

HumnHilghtFreel
03-03-2010, 03:28 PM
If Santana lasted to me he was going to be taken. Great value pick in the 7th round lol

Joseph
03-03-2010, 03:30 PM
Sorry I wasn't able to post on here when I made my picks. Thanks for you guys picking up the slack. Work is picky about what sites I can access.

AtomicDumpling
03-03-2010, 03:32 PM
If Santana lasted to me he was going to be taken. Great value pick in the 7th round lol

If he is fully recovered from his surgery it will be a steal. If he is still injured it could be a total bust. From what I have heard he is healthy. He has already been named the Opening Day starter, so that is a good sign.

AtomicDumpling
03-03-2010, 03:33 PM
Sorry I wasn't able to post on here when I made my picks. Thanks for you guys picking up the slack. Work is picky about what sites I can access.

Just tell them you have priorities. The League of Reds Nation is far more important than routine job-related functions.

Tornon
03-03-2010, 03:41 PM
I had flirted with taking Santana for the past couple picks.. but I always hate taking pitchers in the early rounds

AtomicDumpling
03-03-2010, 03:43 PM
I had flirted with taking Santana for the past couple picks.. but I always hate taking pitchers in the early rounds

I... Just... Could... Not... Resist... Any... Longer!

Brutus
03-03-2010, 04:27 PM
I agree on Santana. I was scared off by his low(er) strikeout rate the last two years. But I also recognize injuries played a part. He could wind up giving second round value if he bounces back.

I wasn't willing to take the risk, but it may be one I should have taken.

reds1869
03-03-2010, 05:01 PM
Great picks, everyone. I was glad I could pick up Jones, he is going to be a five-tool monster (he already is close). I was also amused because the other guys taken around my pick were targets of mine.

Vada Pinson Fan
03-03-2010, 05:23 PM
7.8 Michael Young had to draft him now b/c 3B really thins out now and probably the last 3rd baseman available that will give you good numbers in 4 out of 5 categories. Certainly not a great pick but a necessary one.

On HayPay's pick of Stephen Strasburg, HayPay sent notice to AtomicDumpling and our Commish was away from his computer and asked me to post HayPay's pick for him.

HumnHilghtFreel
03-03-2010, 05:31 PM
7.9 Shin-Soo Choo

He fits the bill of what I'm going for with this team perfectly.

IowaRed is on the clock

thatcoolguy_22
03-03-2010, 05:41 PM
7.9 Shin-Soo Choo

He fits the bill of what I'm going for with this team perfectly.

IowaRed is on the clock

Watch out for him having to go to korea. I talk to guys that are forced to serve (the "enlisted" versions of these guys are called conscripts). The rule is pretty serious. Even Americans born and raised, with Korean ties are forced to serve. The military will usually keep those guys out of korea.

HumnHilghtFreel
03-03-2010, 05:48 PM
Watch out for him having to go to korea. I talk to guys that are forced to serve (the "enlisted" versions of these guys are called conscripts). The rule is pretty serious. Even Americans born and raised, with Korean ties are forced to serve. The military will usually keep those guys out of korea.

I just read up on it. Apparantly he may be able to play for the Korean team to fulfill his service.

My strategy for this team could very well blow up in my face, but it's something I wanted to try, going speed heavy. Lots of runs, fairly strong averages, lots and lots of SB

AtomicDumpling
03-03-2010, 05:58 PM
I just read up on it. Apparantly he may be able to play for the Korean team to fulfill his service.

My strategy for this team could very well blow up in my face, but it's something I wanted to try, going speed heavy. Lots of runs, fairly strong averages, lots and lots of SB

Yeah I looked strongly at Choo too. His numbers look really good but ultimately it was the military service that scared me off. I am sure he will find a way out of it, but you never know. Enjoy his 5 category production!

HumnHilghtFreel
03-03-2010, 08:10 PM
IowaRed has taken Josh Beckett, Bumstead is on the clock

Vada Pinson Fan
03-03-2010, 09:13 PM

Perhaps you might want to forward your picks to AtomicDumpling. It would be like having your picks in a queue. Just an idea. :) Posting on here, I guess could be done the same way but might be asking too much of Atomic. If anyone wants to post here but can't because of work, etc. feel free to email your thoughts to me and I'll post your quoted thoughts here for you if that would help.

Vada Pinson Fan
03-03-2010, 11:28 PM
Hello new spam email account :D

I've got spam filters in place and I've also listed my email addy in the O.R.G. and where I got the most spam from was signing up with Sandbox and their fantasy baseball leagues. I used an unusual name only associated with my Sandbox account and I still see in the bulk mail (if and when I look at the subject line) junk email from partners and others associated in some form or fashion with Sandbox. And besides, if need be, I can always delete this listed addy and make a new with np.

I decided why invite a potential problem so please remove your post and or my quote. I wouldn't ever quote someone's email addy in a thread like you did. Oh well, my bad.

Jerry

HayPay
03-04-2010, 12:04 AM
last pick was made at 7:03 i guess so Bumstead has untill 5:03am. wow this 10 hour window is getting interesting. Capt. Hook be prepared to draft u Scallywag.LOL

HayPay
03-04-2010, 12:50 AM
last pick was made at 7:03 i guess so Bumstead has untill 5:03am. wow this 10 hour window is getting interesting. Capt. Hook be prepared to draft u Scallywag.LOL

Nick am I right or when does the clock go off on next pick?

Captain Hook
03-04-2010, 01:36 AM

I will be making my pick very soon but I can't seem to find Scallywag anywhere on my draft board.Maybe I should take a little more time doing some research before I pick?:p:

AtomicDumpling
03-04-2010, 02:04 AM
I will be making my pick very soon but I can't seem to find Scallywag anywhere on my draft board.Maybe I should take a little more time doing some research before I pick?:p:

Ahoy matey! I reckon ye shan't draft recruits else they be Pittsburgh Pirates or I'll send ya to Davey Jones' locker. Arrr! Shiver me timbers ye scurvy dog.

:duel:

HayPay
03-04-2010, 09:17 AM
With pick8.2 of the draft Bunstead selects SP David Price. Iowa Red is now on the clock.