1 year, $1M

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=4952390

Joseph
02-28-2010, 12:47 PM
Hey, we have Aaron Miles though.

HokieRed
02-28-2010, 03:09 PM
Hey, we have Aaron Miles though.

Don't forget this means we do not have Wily T.

Ron Madden
02-28-2010, 03:28 PM
Lopez can be a big help to the St Louis offense.

I thought the Cardinals should've signed him weeks ago.

GADawg
02-28-2010, 07:39 PM
wow what a bargain....relatively speaking

mbgrayson
03-01-2010, 08:39 AM
1 year, $1M

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=4952390

Just mentioning Lopez's base salary does not give the fully story. From MLB Traderumors (although the ESPN story also mentions the performance bonuses):

The Cardinals officially signed free agent infielder Felipe Lopez (http://www.baseball-reference.com/players/l/lopezfe01.shtml) to a one-year contract today. The deal is worth $1MM in base salary, plus easily attainable performance bonuses that could be worth up to $1.2MM.

So, in reality, assuming Lopez actually gets to play, he will cost the Cards more like $2.2 million. Still, not too bad of a deal I suppose. While I am not a fan of Lopez, a bones laden contract may be just what he needs.

cincinnati chili
03-02-2010, 10:42 PM
If you want to make a case that collusion is real, he might be the guy. Hard to believe he can't find a better deal. It makes me wonder (seriously) if the commissioner's office is slotting the pay for everyone other than the high $ free agents who would attract scrutiny. There may be injury concerns about guys like Branyan, but I haven't heard any downside to Felo. He's worth at least 4 times this.

Scrap Irony
03-02-2010, 11:09 PM
Great deal for the Cardinals, assuming Lopez hits like he did last season.

He's in a great spot, likely hitting just ahead of Pujols and Holliday. Lopez may score 150 runs this season if he obp's 350 or better. I'm guessing, because he's a Card, 320/390/475 and an All-Star nod at 2B.

(Not to mention at least 130 seasonal conversations about how Jocketty was "asleep" and "screwed up big-time by not trading Taveras for him. Though no one wanted Taveras and Lopez was a FA.)

Ron Madden
03-03-2010, 03:00 AM
Lopez has always had a knack for getting on base. His reputation on defense is what it is.

I thought the Brewers made a wise move picking him up for the stretch run last year and he did a great job for them. I think the Cards made just as wise of move by signing him this year, I'm sure he will help their offense.

WMR
03-03-2010, 03:41 AM
Lopez has always had a knack for getting on base. His reputation on defense is what it is.

I thought the Brewers made a wise move picking him up for the stretch run last year and he did a great job for them. I think the Cards made just as wise of move by signing him this year, I'm sure he will help their offense.

Still wish the Reds had gone for broke and switched him and Phillips defensively. Might've been quite the tandem. He was miscast as a SS in Cincinnati.

Ron Madden
03-03-2010, 03:43 AM
Still wish the Reds had gone for broke and switched him and Phillips defensively. Might've been quite the tandem. He was miscast as a SS in Cincinnati.

Agreed. :beerme: