PDA

View Full Version : Online backup or build own setup?

durl
02-28-2010, 11:39 PM
I've been thinking about building a backup system consisting of an external enclosure with hot swappable bays but the online options are intriguing, too. Online would be cheaper up-front, but I still like the idea of having my own setup.

I thought I'd see if others here have online or on-site backups and what made you choose your setup.

macro
02-28-2010, 11:55 PM
I back up to an external hard drive about every three months and store it in a safe at my house. I assume the safe would protect it in a fire, but that may not be a safe assumption. (Pun not intended.) I chose that over online because I couldn't see paying $10/month or whatever when 500GB hard drives were less than $100, and that was three years ago when I bought it.

I also have the same files stored on a laptop and also on an external hard drive that's plugged into my router for more frequent backups. So I think I'm protected against hardware failures, but the fire protection thing gives me pause. The safe is in the basement, but still...

Maybe I should consider an online backup.

dougdirt
03-01-2010, 02:11 AM
If I were to have a fire or my computer stolen, I would be screwed as far as my data goes. But I backup my files to another hard drive that I deem important in the off chance my computer gets messy with a virus or I have a hard drive fail (I have never actually had one just completely fail... had two slowly get bad and need to be replaced).

I do know that in no way, shape or form would I ever pay to backup my data online. It is expensive in the long run and I could buy two hard drives that are 100 GB for less than a years subscription service to an online backup and keep one in my house and one at work (I work at home so that doesn't apply to me, but I am sure it does to others), in my car or another place that won't be effected if my house catches on fire.

macro
03-01-2010, 08:30 AM
Yep, Doug has a point that you could buy two hard drives (one on-site and another off-site) to guard against natural disasters, and that's something I may consider, as well.

nate
03-01-2010, 08:39 AM
I recommend doing both. My data is worth $100/year for online backup fo sho.

I also generally keep current project files on a free Dropbox account. If something goes wonky on my computer overnight, I at least can get at my data.

If it ain't backed up three different places, it ain't backed up.

RedsManRick
03-01-2010, 10:43 AM
Online services such as Mozy or Carbonite are really pretty cheap and easy if you have a decent broadband connection. On site backup is really only useful in the case of catastrophic hard drive failure -- you still have to worry about fire or theft unless you've got a fireproof save you're going to store the back up in...

Reds4Life
03-01-2010, 11:54 AM
The problem with online backup, if you lose your internet connection, can you restore your data? I would guess no. If you have an acual external hard drive, you can, no internet required.

JaxRed
03-01-2010, 12:27 PM
I back up locally but, should online also. Between Mozy and Carbonite..... any suggestions/preferences?