PDA

View Full Version : Ax handle bats

Chip R
03-01-2010, 09:52 AM
http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/html/mariners/2011212331_mari28.html

chicoruiz
03-01-2010, 10:05 AM
What ever happened to the bamboo bat thing? I believe it was Princeton who was following that...

wheels
03-01-2010, 10:11 AM
They look pretty legit. I dig 'em.

westofyou
03-01-2010, 10:21 AM
http://baseballmusings.com/

Three weeks ago I spoke with a bat manufacturer at a baseball charity event. He explained the difference between ash and maple bats. The fibers of the ash bats are similar to straws. Bundled together, they give the bat strength and flexibility. The maple fibers, on the other hand, are bundled tooth picks. That makes the bat stiff, and gives it the tendency to shear when it breaks, rather than shatter. This person thought maple bats would be banned within the next couple of years. The axe handle may save them.

AtomicDumpling
03-01-2010, 11:58 AM
Another selling point, one that went over big with MLB, is that the ax-handle forces hitters to hold the bat in a way that it hits a ball with its face grain. Extensive testing by MLB over the years has found that having balls connect with the face grain — away from the label — substantially reduces the amount of broken bats.

I found that passage the most interesting part of the article. If I were a player I would insist on bats without a label. If the label causes more broken bats then get rid of it or move it elsewhere on the bat. When your bat breaks on a swing it is almost always a weak ground ball or flair that is easily turned into an out by the defense. If you can reduce the number of broken bats it would lead to fewer outs and better stats. Get rid of the label!

jmcclain19
03-01-2010, 12:04 PM
Don Mattingly has a company that's been selling bats for a few years with a triangulated handle. It hasn't really gained any traction so I'm curious why the anon source thinks this axe handle bat will suddenly flourish. Baseball at its core is a fundamentally conservative game reistant to change - especially about the equipment.

http://www.mattinglybaseball.com/v-grip_technology.html

gonelong
03-01-2010, 12:45 PM
I found that passage the most interesting part of the article. If I were a player I would insist on bats without a label. If the label causes more broken bats then get rid of it or move it elsewhere on the bat. When your bat breaks on a swing it is almost always a weak ground ball or flair that is easily turned into an out by the defense. If you can reduce the number of broken bats it would lead to fewer outs and better stats. Get rid of the label!

The label itself is just a marker for the weakest part of the bat so removing it would lead to more broken bats.

Manufacturer's put the label on the flat of the grain to give the player a reference point. If you strike the ball on the label side, good chance it'll break. If the ball is struck with the opposite side, good chance it'll break there too.

The two sides are the grain of the wood and are the strongest.

Edit: Louisville Slugger says ... (http://www.slugger.com/technology/wood.html)

GL

SirFelixCat
03-01-2010, 01:35 PM
While I can't speak of it yet, Mizuno has a 90-day guarantee on their bamboo bats.

Linky (http://www.mizunousa.com/equipment.nsf/1/10dia1-bats-bb/340113?opendocument&div=baseball/softball&cat=10dia1-bats-bb)
Seeing as I am the manager/player of a wood bat 35+ league team, I'm really curious as to how well these things hit....

Sea Ray
03-02-2010, 11:41 AM
It seems to me these ax handled bats would tend to go flying after a hard, major league swing. I wonder if holding onto the bats is a problem?

RANDY IN INDY
03-02-2010, 12:16 PM
My 12 year old son had a Mizuno bamboo bat that he used in the cage a good bit last season. I felt it was a little heavy and not as lively as the ash and maple bats. He now uses a Louisville Slugger white ash bat. The ball seems to jump more off the ash bat.

SirFelixCat
03-02-2010, 01:04 PM
My 12 year old son had a Mizuno bamboo bat that he used in the cage a good bit last season. I felt it was a little heavy and not as lively as the ash and maple bats. He now uses a Louisville Slugger white ash bat. The ball seems to jump more off the ash bat.

I'm going to buying 2-3 bats for the season:

The bamboo Mizuno, a couple of Viper Ash blems. I'm curious to see/feel/hear the difference.

westofyou
03-11-2010, 09:29 AM
Tampa Bay Rays call for action against maple bats after injury to pitcher David Price

http://www.tampabay.com/sports/baseball/rays/article1078906.ece

FORT MYERS — Afterward, when his bloodied right hand was bandaged and he could joke about the barrel of the broken maple bat that came flying at his face and knocked him to the ground, David Price acknowledged the obvious.

"It could have been a lot worse than what it is right now," the Rays' prized young left-hander said.

Price, 24, was lucky, escaping Wednesday's scary situation with only what the team described as an abrasion on his right hand near the base of his thumb — similar to a scraped hand when falling off a bike. Stitches weren't needed, an X-ray was negative, Price says he won't even skip a start and the Rays are confident that even if he does miss time, his preparation for the season won't be affected.

"It was more of a scare, I guess, than anything else," Price said.

But to Rays manager Joe Maddon, long a crusader about the dangers of maple bats, it was another example of the increasing potential for something worse, perhaps horribly bad, to happen if Major League Baseball doesn't take swift action.

"The maple bat is turning into the Claymore mine of baseball," Maddon said, referencing a dangerous wartime weapon. "I don't like it. If we're going to wait for somebody to actually get killed or impaled, we're going to wait way too long. Something needs to be done."

Boston pitcher Jon Lester, watching from the dugout when Price was hit, had similarly strong words.

"Kind of sucks that baseball hasn't done a very good job with the maple bats," he said. "They're a danger to the game, they're a danger to all the players and the fans. Hopefully we can eventually do something with those bats."

MLB has studied the issue and instituted a ban in the minors of some of the maple bats, which tend to shatter more easily. But it has not taken action at the major-league level, which is how Boston's Adrian Beltre came to the plate Wednesday in the second inning swinging a 34-inch, 32-ounce maple X-Bat.

After zipping through the first inning, Price was startled when Kevin Youkilis' liner sailed by him to start the second. Price then threw what he considered a good fastball — "Too good of a pitch," executive vice president Andrew Friedman joked with him later — that broke Beltre's bat, the barrel and the ball both heading toward the mound. Price remained unclear on exactly what happened, though the swelling and bruise near his thumb were reminders.

"I tried to make a play on the ball, I guess out of the corner of my eye I saw the bat and I just threw my hands up, luckily," Price said.

"I didn't really know what hit me. It just kind of knocked me back and I just kind of laid there and then it was like, 'All right, I guess I'm okay.' And then I get up, and when I looked at my hand is when it started really bleeding."

Around the field, the Rays thought the worst, not knowing if he had been hit in the face or if the blood was the result of the bat shard piercing his hand.

"I just saw him down and immediately you think, 'Oh, no,' " centerfielder B.J. Upton said. "That's definitely not what we need right now, not with him."

"That's the worst I've ever seen — usually it goes by the pitcher and not hit him," shortstop Jason Bartlett said. "I gave up on the play (Beltre got an infield single) as soon as I saw it. Even the umpires out there were saying they have to stop these bats."

Maddon's first thought was, "Thank God it's his right hand." But later he said he'd feel the same if it was one of his star pitchers hurt by a maple bat or a fan in the stands. "We've had enough warnings," he said. "It's dangerous. It's wrong."

TRF
03-11-2010, 10:57 AM
If MLB won't ban them, the players need to police themselves. If I'm David Price, i take to task any of my teammates using one. Can't be hypocritical about this.