PDA

View Full Version : Which Reds pitcher has the best stuff to throw a no-no?

icehole3
03-02-2010, 04:01 AM
I like Bailey's stuff the best

Ron Madden
03-02-2010, 04:15 AM
George Culver threw a no-hitter.

So I guess anyone of the above can too.

icehole3
03-02-2010, 04:32 AM
George Culver threw a no-hitter.

So I guess anyone of the above can too.

good morning buddy http://www.sternfannetwork.com/forum/images/smilies/Happy/HappyWave.gif

Ron Madden
03-02-2010, 04:33 AM
good morning buddy http://www.sternfannetwork.com/forum/images/smilies/Happy/HappyWave.gif

Mornin'.

thatcoolguy_22
03-02-2010, 04:40 AM
Bailey's new splitter will lead to enough grounders to give him a good head start on the no-no

reds1869
03-02-2010, 06:49 AM
Homer could easily throw a no hitter during his career.

Always Red
03-02-2010, 07:29 AM
I was lucky enough to sit in the scout seats behind home plate for this game:
http://www.baseball-reference.com/boxes/CIN/CIN200609050.shtml

Arroyo was masterful in the 3 hit shutout of the Giants; the ball was moving all over the place, and he was spotting it. It was the most fun I've had at the ballpark in years, and one of the prettiest games I have ever seen pitched.

When Arroyo is on, he could throw a no-no. Cueto and Homer have more electric stuff, of course.

redsmetz
03-02-2010, 07:57 AM
I agree with AlwaysRed. I was surprised that Arroyo wasn't an option. He was my first thought.

redsmetz
03-02-2010, 08:08 AM
BTW, we're overdue for a no-hitter. It's been over 20 years since Browning threw his perfect game. The franchise has never gone that long without a no-hitter. Prior to this was 19 years from Hod Eller tossing one in May, 1919 until Vandy's back to back no-hitters. The next longest stretch was 18 years from Blackwell's no-hitter in June 1947 (and he almost duplicated Vander Meer's fit in the next game) until Jim Maloney threw his first one in August, 1965. No to jinx anyone, but I think we'll get one this year.

Likewise, it's been almost forty years since we've had a no-hitter thrown against us when Rick Wise did it on 6/23/71. Of course, Ken Holtzman threw one against us nearly three weeks earlier (6/3/71).

oneupper
03-02-2010, 08:17 AM
BTW, we're overdue for a no-hitter. It's been over 20 years since Browning threw his perfect game. The franchise has never gone that long without a no-hitter. Prior to this was 19 years from Hod Eller tossing one in May, 1919 until Vandy's back to back no-hitters. The next longest stretch was 18 years from Blackwell's no-hitter in June 1947 (and he almost duplicated Vander Meer's fit in the next game) until Jim Maloney threw his first one in August, 1965. No to jinx anyone, but I think we'll get one this year.

Likewise, it's been almost forty years since we've had a no-hitter thrown against us when Rick Wise did it on 6/23/71. Of course, Ken Holtzman threw one against us nearly three weeks earlier (6/3/71).

The current team would appear to be quite vulnerable to a no-no. If I had to wager, I'd bet the second streak is more likely to be broken.

bucksfan2
03-02-2010, 08:26 AM
Bailey and Cueto have both had no hit kinds of stuff during games. I give Bailey the nod because I think he has the frame to work deeper into games. But at the same time I have seen games in which Cueto was masterful.

cumberlandreds
03-02-2010, 08:48 AM

It's amazing the Reds haven't had a no hitter thrown against them in nearly 40 years. As you can see by my signature line,1971 was the first season I followed the Reds and I can remember listening to both of those games. Wise hit 2 home runs to boot in his no-no. I would think 40 years would be near a record of not having a no hitter thrown against you. It also shows you how much luck is involved in getting one.

TRF
03-02-2010, 09:40 AM
I picked Cueto as I think he has perfect game stuff. he had low BB rates in the minors, good K rates and of course the D behind him is improved (maybe... not sold on SS being improved).

membengal
03-02-2010, 09:45 AM
Bailey. If he masters the split, and keeps improving command of a fastball that sits around 94 and can go higher, to go with that curve, he's got that kind of stuff.

lollipopcurve
03-02-2010, 09:54 AM
Chapman in September.

Nasty_Boy
03-02-2010, 10:08 AM
I was in the Arroyo boat before I opened this thread. He gets on a roll from time to time with that breaking ball and he dominates a lineup... Not to mention that he would be allowed to throw more pitches if he made it deep into a game with the chance at a no-no.

cumberlandreds
03-02-2010, 10:23 AM
I was in the Arroyo boat before I opened this thread. He gets on a roll from time to time with that breaking ball and he dominates a lineup... Not to mention that he would be allowed to throw more pitches if he made it deep into a game with the chance at a no-no.

I watched him come close to no hitting the Nats a few years back at RFK. He only gave up a soft single to Ryan Zimmerman early in the game. His breaking ball was unhittable that day and he really mixed his speeds very well. I voted for Cueto on this list but thought about a write in for Arroyo too.

OnBaseMachine
03-02-2010, 10:29 AM
Bailey, Chapman, Cueto, and Volquez all have no-hit stuff. But a lot of great pitchers with great stuff have never thrown a no-hitter, like Pedro Martinez, Roger Clemens, and Greg Maddux, among others. I'd give the those four the best chance of throwing a no-hitter. Cueto and Volquez have both flirted with no-hitters so far.

If you recall last April, Volquez threw 8 IP of 1 hit ball against the Astros. The only hit was a Miguel Tejada double off the bottom of the RF wall in the first inning and it could have been caught but Bruce sort of mistimed his jump. I also recell Cueto carrying a no-hitter into the 6th inning at least three different times in his rookie season. All four have the stuff to do it but ya just never know. It takes some luck to go along with skill.

chicoruiz
03-02-2010, 10:37 AM
I was at the Holtzman no-hitter in '71. Wish I'd been at the Wise one instead. As I recall, he also hit two homers. Can't be too many better single-game performances in baseball history- pitch a no-hitter and go yard twice.

Mario-Rijo
03-02-2010, 02:08 PM
I think Chapman just strikes me as the type who could when on his game be unhittable.

TheNext44
03-02-2010, 02:52 PM
I always bet the longshot, so I am going with Justin Lehr, five inning game, called on account of rain. :)

Reds1
03-02-2010, 03:29 PM
No Harang or BA :) I said Bailey

Jpup
03-02-2010, 03:56 PM
Cueto is my favorite in the entire system.

Ron Madden
03-03-2010, 03:18 AM
Cueto is my favorite in the entire system.

Cueto is a favorite of mine as well. I thought might as well play along and vote for him. :)