PDA

View Full Version : Danny Kaye DODGERS song

redsmetz
03-04-2010, 05:29 PM
Here's a little levity, a couple of YouTube presentations, both of Danny Kaye's fabulous DODGERS song. The first is a little singing the song and it's a riot:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kVyjLxdcQ5w

The second is Danny Kaye's version of the song, but animated with Lego characters.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gvqO9q8yi-A&NR=1

And just for fun, you can see if you caught all of the names:

http://www.sporcle.com/games/jametz/kayedodgers

Yachtzee
03-04-2010, 10:22 PM
I wish the Reds had a fun song like that. Maybe WOY can dig one up from the archives. The only Reds songs I can remember are from Blessid Union of Souls and they just aren't quite as fun and catchy.

BCubb2003
03-04-2010, 10:41 PM
I wish the Reds had a fun song like that. Maybe WOY can dig one up from the archives. The only Reds songs I can remember are from Blessid Union of Souls and they just aren't quite as fun and catchy.

The "Talking Baseball" series had a Reds version, but that Danny Kaye song is epic. Great job by the kid to remember it all.

redsmetz
03-05-2010, 10:15 AM
The "Talking Baseball" series had a Reds version, but that Danny Kaye song is epic. Great job by the kid to remember it all.

The kid was terrific, wasn't he? Also the stop action Lego bit was amazing for its action detail. It's a fabulous song that does a great job telling the story of a game. Kaye was a big baseball fan who, I see now, was an original owner in the Mariners franchise.

westofyou
03-05-2010, 10:26 AM
The key to having "cute" or "quirky" songs about your team involves two things, winning baseball and a population base that has access to the entertainment industry.

Unfortunately the Reds tend to get props on bottles of booze more than they get songs written about them.

BCubb2003
03-05-2010, 11:03 AM
The key to having "cute" or "quirky" songs about your team involves two things, winning baseball and a population base that has access to the entertainment industry.

Unfortunately the Reds tend to get props on bottles of booze more than they get songs written about them.

So Nick Lachey and Charlie Sheen aren't representing?

RBA
03-06-2010, 07:19 PM
Looks to me the kid is reading something. But I couldn't watch for too long, it was brutal on my ears.

StillFunkyB
03-07-2010, 12:35 AM
A Dodgers song posted on the Reds message board?

Am I the only one that clicked into this thread thinking it would be something totally different?

I guess that "rivalry" is now completely dead.

Mainspark
03-11-2010, 09:32 PM
I always despised Danny Kaye, specifically because of his over-the-top fawning of the Dodgers.
In the 1970s, there was a season or two where NBC, attempting to bolster its "MLB Game of the Week" ratings, arranged for celebrities to join broadcasters Curt Gowdy and Tony Kubek, spending the entire game in the booth.
One week, Kaye was the celebrity broadcaster for a Reds-Dodgers game.
Hal King, a backup catcher for the Reds, had earlier that year or the previous season hit a walk-off home run (although nobody called it that back then) to cap off a dramatic Reds victory and set off a winning streak that saw the team make up 10 or 12 games on L.A. the last two months of the season and win the 1973 N.L. West title.
In the TV game, King did it again, hitting a late-inning pinch-hit homer that sealed a win for the Reds.
For the remainder of the game, Kaye then kept saying, not once or twice, but four or five or six times, "Hal King is a naughty, naughty boy."
Had I been in the company of the still-alive Elvis at the time, I would have urged him to shoot the television.

redsmetz
03-11-2010, 09:44 PM
I always despised Danny Kaye, specifically because of his over-the-top fawning of the Dodgers.
In the 1970s, there was a season or two where NBC, attempting to bolster its "MLB Game of the Week" ratings, arranged for celebrities to join broadcasters Curt Gowdy and Tony Kubek, spending the entire game in the booth.
One week, Kaye was the celebrity broadcaster for a Reds-Dodgers game.
Hal King, a backup catcher for the Reds, had earlier that year or the previous season hit a walk-off home run (although nobody called it that back then) to cap off a dramatic Reds victory and set off a winning streak that saw the team make up 10 or 12 games on L.A. the last two months of the season and win the 1973 N.L. West title.
In the TV game, King did it again, hitting a late-inning pinch-hit homer that sealed a win for the Reds.
For the remainder of the game, Kaye then kept saying, not once or twice, but four or five or six times, "Hal King is a naughty, naughty boy."
Had I been in the company of the still-alive Elvis at the time, I would have urged him to shoot the television.

IMO, Danny Kaye's too talented to hold a grudge because he's a diehard fan of the Dodgers.

Yachtzee
03-11-2010, 09:50 PM
IMO, Danny Kaye's too talented to hold a grudge because he's a diehard fan of the Dodgers.

I actually find the fact that he was calling Hal King a naughty, naughty boy hilarious.

Degenerate39
03-11-2010, 09:51 PM

We'll get nate to make one

Topcat
03-12-2010, 03:57 AM

Woy who was or is the poster named i think Ryan that does baseball songs on this forum ?

redsmetz
03-12-2010, 06:21 AM
Woy who was or is the poster named i think Ryan that does baseball songs on this forum ?

I think his name is Ryan Parker http://www.ryanparkersongs.com/

I just came across one of his songs on YouTube the other day.