PDA

View Full Version : "The Core"

Mario-Rijo
03-04-2010, 06:17 PM
Watching all the talent on this team is gonna be sweet. Unfortunately I can't help but think about the not too distant future. In a few short seasons we will have to start picking and choosing a few select players to build the club around we simply won't be able to keep them all. Looking around the majors most teams keep one bat and one arm and sometimes another player either a #2 starter to back up that ace or another bat to help their big bat beyond that most teams can't afford to keep. I think it's paramount to recognize who those players are early on.

My question to all is who are your 3, one bat, one arm and 1 more complimentary player to form your core? I assume most might be the same but I know there is bound to be some surprises.

Mine:

Joey Votto

Aroldis Chapman

Jay Bruce

My only concern there is can we afford these 3 in particular, I kind of doubt it but I am hopeful.

medford
03-04-2010, 06:31 PM
Well you have to take a leap and a faith at this point, though it should be a bit more clear by the end of this season, and while future decisions on a guy like Volquez will need to be made sooner than others, I think they still have a few more seasons to figure things out.

Bat: Jay Bruce, it assumes he hits like we think/hope he can. I love Votto, but I think its going to be easier to find a solid bat to play 1st than a solid bat that can play defense to the level of Jay in right.

Arm: Homer, right handed power arm that seems to be "putting it together" Chapman is the obvious choice at this point, but I'd like to see him a few times and watch this season progress before I'd make a decision b/w Homer, Cueto & Chapman

Comp: Leake, again taking a leap of faith at this point, but if its truly a complimentary player (#2 type starting pitcher you mention), then I think Leake's projected ceiling fits more into this roll than the projected ceiling of those listed above or Volquez.

The best news, is that there are a ton of options to choose from in the pitching core and hitting core. The bad news, is that so many are unproven or question marks to one extent or another in the majors. However, you've got to figure that the Red's fair share of prospects will pan out like hope, and if they're smart about their scouting and development, they can trade a few of them before they get super expensive to pick up pieces and prospects to take their place.

Cueto, Homer, Volquez, Chapman, Leake, Wood, Maloney (who am I forgetting), how many teams have a collection of young, cheap arms that are that close to the majors or already there with that high of a collective ceiling?

TRF
03-04-2010, 06:46 PM
Votto - He's the foundation
Cueto - The young Dominican
Heisey - The high upside OF Speed, defense and some pop. no disrespect to Bruce at all.

reds1869
03-04-2010, 07:04 PM
Bat: Votto
Arm:Chapman
Comp: Bruce--though you could just as easily swap him with Votto on my list.

dougdirt
03-04-2010, 07:11 PM
Heisey - The high upside OF Speed, defense and some pop. no disrespect to Bruce at all.

You really think Heisey is going to have better defense and hitting ability than Jay Bruce?

pahster
03-04-2010, 07:17 PM
Votto, Bruce, and Cueto. I like what I've heard about Chapman so far, but I want to see what he does in real games first.

OnBaseMachine
03-04-2010, 07:35 PM

I like Heisey a lot but there's no way on earth I'd take him over Jay Bruce.

BearcatShane
03-04-2010, 09:26 PM
Wait until the time comes. The only guy at this point who has proved he will cost a lot it Votto. Big 2010 on the horizon for Cueto.

Mario-Rijo
03-04-2010, 09:45 PM
Wait until the time comes. The only guy at this point who has proved he will cost a lot it Votto. Big 2010 on the horizon for Cueto.

Alot can and no doubt will happen between now and when that time comes and could very well cause changes in our lists. But no harm to start our individual lists now and tweak it as we go if need be.

Redhook
03-04-2010, 11:16 PM
Votto
Chapman
Bailey

15fan
03-04-2010, 11:27 PM
Jon Nunnally
Bret Tomko
Chris Stynes

Was Eduardo Perez or Dmitri Young the 4th guy in that Enquirer photo ca. 1997?

HokieRed
03-04-2010, 11:58 PM
Votto, Bruce, Alonso on the position side; we'll only be able to keep two of three after Votto and Bruce reach free agency.
Homer, Chapman, Cueto on the pitching side; I'm guessing Homer is the best of the three.

bucksfan2
03-05-2010, 09:23 AM
Votto - Best overall player in the Reds system. Equal offensive splits. Hits the ball hard. Can hit for average, power, and find 1b. All around package if you ask me.

Bailey - Ace stuff was shown at the end of last year. Tall, power, RH pitcher. Came into his own last season and has to best stuff.

Bruce - Bruce has had a disappointing MLB career so far. Power is there but plate presence was poor. Great defender in RF and that doesn't slump. I expect him to put it together as he progresses as a major leaguer.

After Bruce the next position player I would choose is Stubbs but guys like Cueto, Chapman and Leake rank ahead of him as of right now.

lollipopcurve
03-05-2010, 09:31 AM
Bat -- Votto
Arm -- Chapman (he's already on a long-term deal, so this one's a fait accompli)

Other -- too soon to tell, but if Bruce explodes this year, he'd be the choice.

Bats are safer than arms.

TRF
03-05-2010, 10:31 AM
You really think Heisey is going to have better defense and hitting ability than Jay Bruce?

I think he'll be here longer. And yes, since he's a natural CF, he's likely a bit faster and a bit better defender minus the arm of Bruce.

In an ideal world, Bruce is the logical choice, but I see him pricing himself out of Cincinnati. Heisey could be Mike Cameron.

Jpup
03-05-2010, 10:34 AM
Cueto, Bruce, and Votto. Chapman to be added soon, hopefully.

Nasty_Boy
03-05-2010, 10:45 AM
Wow, some lofty praise for Heisey... Who wouldn't want a Mike Cameron? I just don't think he'll ever reach that status.

Bat : Bruce - He has a much higher upside than Votto... Even though Votto is amazing, I think we seen him at his best last season. He was GREAT last year, and I hope he gets better just not sure it will happen.

Arm : Bailey - This one was tough, because Chapman could be special but I think Homer is the safer bet. Don't know if I would have said the same thing at this time last year. lol

Other : Toss up between Votto and Chapman... Just not sure. If Chapman reaches his full potential then he could be more important than everyone in the organization.

membengal
03-05-2010, 10:49 AM
Bailey, Cueto, Chapman, Leake, Volquez.

Get two or three of those to pan out, and this team is set for years.

RedEye
03-05-2010, 11:24 AM
At first, I thought this was a misplaced movie thread in the ORG.

Anyway, my choices are:

Dickerson
Maloney
Masset

Just kidding. Mine are the same as most:

Votto
Bailey
Bruce

I thought about Chapman a lot, but I want to see him pitch in games before including him over Homer. Actually, the fact that I had so many tough decisions in order to narrow it to three made me feel pretty good about "The Core." I think that the original poster is right, though, that the team in its current financial state will most likely not be able to keep more than three players long term. It is a little early for this discussion now, but it will be more and more interesting over the next several seasons.

corkedbat
03-06-2010, 12:24 AM
Can't argue with:

Votto
Chapman (or Cueto)
Bruce (him reaching "Monster" status is a jey to this franchise IMO)

A name who has not been mentioned though, and who I think will be at the very core of this franchise's success. is Frazier, IMO.

I don't look for him to be a perrennial all-star or even necessarily among the 1st five or six names mentioned when you discuss the team's best. I can see him providing a passable glove at move than one position though along with solid onbase skills with decent HR power and solid gap player. I see him being a "glue" type of guy, made even more valuable by his right-handed bat.

mth123
03-06-2010, 03:54 AM
Hard to stick to 3.

Bailey
Bruce
Chapman

But Votto, Cueto, Volquez. Leake and either Alonso or whoever they get for him would be the rest of the core.

REDblooded
03-06-2010, 05:24 AM
Cueto/Bailey/Chapman... If the reds have 3 arms that work out and are amazing, can build the rest around that...

Blitz Dorsey
03-06-2010, 12:59 PM
Votto
Cueto
Bruce