PDA

View Full Version : Honest Question

BoldOD
03-04-2010, 09:03 PM
I will preface this with the fact that Joey Votto is my favorite current Reds player.

With all the debate about left field and the future position of Yonder Alonso has there been any mention or debate about moving Votto to left field? He's athletic, can cover ground, clearly works hard to learn his position and it's not like he's got a Steve Garvey kind of arm.

MBZags
03-04-2010, 09:44 PM
Well, he did play outfield a little bit in AAA, and I'm sure there have been internal discussions about the possibility of moving Votto. However, until Alonso proves himself more, there's no reason for the Reds to even discuss a move. And I don't see it happening, especially with Jocketty's statements earlier this week: http://marksheldon.mlblogs.com/archives/2010/03/alonso_trying_third_base_outfi.html

BoldOD
03-04-2010, 10:27 PM
Saw Jocketty's comments which made me think of whether it has come up before. Perhaps it's a kick to Alonso that he's not the golden child and needs to prove himself, but it is just interesting in that it would appear that Votto is capable of a LF move.

jredmo2
03-04-2010, 11:56 PM
I am pretty sure Votto played LF for Canada in the WBC. Not sure how he did.

Kingspoint
03-05-2010, 07:43 AM
The Old Red Guard has a thread that covers this subject from top to bottom.

improbus
03-05-2010, 08:13 AM
I will preface this with the fact that Joey Votto is my favorite current Reds player.

With all the debate about left field and the future position of Yonder Alonso has there been any mention or debate about moving Votto to left field? He's athletic, can cover ground, clearly works hard to learn his position and it's not like he's got a Steve Garvey kind of arm.

I don't think you can adjust a big-time major leaguers position for a minor leaguer who may or may not make it. Great players will find a way to make it onto the field. If Yonder can hit, the Reds will find him a spot. Now, if Alonso makes the bigs and starts lighting it up, then we can talk about position changes.

BLEEDS
03-05-2010, 11:39 AM
The Old Red Guard has a thread that covers this subject from top to bottom.

Yeah, it's like a train-wreck/broken record/groundhog day all wrapped into one!

My opinion - Joey Votto is the 1st basemen for this team for the next 10 years.
Alonso is trade bait.

PEACE

-BLEEDS

bounty37h
03-05-2010, 12:49 PM
^this seems most likely to me.

gedred69
03-08-2010, 12:35 AM
Yeah, it's like a train-wreck/broken record/groundhog day all wrapped into one!

My opinion - Joey Votto is the 1st basemen for this team for the next 10 years.
Alonso is trade bait.

PEACE

-BLEEDS

I'm having difficulty understanding why people don't understand this. The only caveat I can think of for Alonzo, is that the Reds want this season to make absolutely, positively, undeniably, 100% sure, Votto is the Rock this team will be built around. Like the Yanks did around O'Neil. (Or so Steinbrenner said).

BigJohn
03-08-2010, 01:24 PM
My God folks, we had a left fielder that was a pure circus out there for 6 or 7 years. I am sure Alonzo can at least jog out there and kick the ball around!

Girevik
03-08-2010, 01:30 PM
I thought I had heard that Votto was reluctant to play OF.

I agree with what most of the others have said....Alonzo has a lot to prove about hitting big league pitching before I think about moving anyone. Have to say, though, that would be a good problem to have.

BLEEDS
03-08-2010, 02:12 PM
My God folks, we had a left fielder that was a pure circus out there for 6 or 7 years. I am sure Alonzo can at least jog out there and kick the ball around!

I would rather put a Heisey out there, who should be able to put up an .800-.850 OPS and can actually field his position very wll, than Alonso.
All reports are that he would be a horrible defender. He's struggling to defend 1B, and he's not a guy who projects to age well.

I just think he projects much better as a 1B/DH type in the AL. We should take advantage of this potential log-jam and trade talent for talent.

PEACE

-BLEEDS

BigJohn
03-08-2010, 02:21 PM
1B/DH type in the AL

where have we heard that before???
:)

BLEEDS
03-08-2010, 03:52 PM
1B/DH type in the AL

where have we heard that before???
:)

I don't know, I'm sure many times - if you have a specific reference I'd love to hear it!

The knock on Alonso, from day one, is that he was SOOO unathletic that he projected to at be below average at every position, with the possible exception of 1B.
I'm sure he was the BAA - although many would argue we should have gone with Gordan Beckham - but given that we have him now, and Joey Votto has soared to great heights (and worked his butt off to get good defensively at 1B), this is a good problem to have - assuming you are planning to trade the kid versus do something stupid like ask Joey Votto to move to the OF.

PEACE

-BLEEDS

sivman17
03-08-2010, 11:31 PM
If Votto doesn't want to move to LF, then you don't move him. You keep him as happy as can be. Especially with his "mental issues," you don't want to move him to LF and have it affect his performance at the plate. If Alonso wants to play it's up to him to catch or learn LF or whatever it takes.

Votto stays put.

BigJohn
03-15-2010, 07:01 AM
http://mlb.mlb.com/mlb/minorleagues/prospects/y2009/profile.jsp?t=p_top&pid=475174

http://www.redreporter.com/2010/2/24/1323661/red-reposter-omg-votto-and-alonso

Ghosts of 1990
03-15-2010, 02:33 PM

I don't really know what you're asking but I understand what it is in regards to. I feel like Votto is the cornerstone of the franchise and they know they have a sure, bonafide big league hitter in Votto; and they're not going to do anything to risk that. They won't trade him or move him in positions. He's like a Todd Helton without hitting in Coors field really. He could still have 10 more years of production. I think if anyone is to be moved or to play another position, it's going to be Yonder.

Girevik
03-15-2010, 02:44 PM
II think if anyone is to be moved or to play another position, it's going to be Yonder.

The problem is, what position? From what I've heard, he's so unathletic that he's barely a decent firstbaseman. I haven't heard any talk that he could play anywhere else with any level of success.

BLEEDS
03-15-2010, 02:56 PM
The problem is, what position? From what I've heard, he's so unathletic that he's barely a decent firstbaseman. I haven't heard any talk that he could play anywhere else with any level of success.

I wouldn't even go that far. Have you seen him play 1B so far this Spring? He doesn't look like he has a clue. How many errors thus far?
Sure it's only Spring, but sheeesh!

I think he's a DH. He ain't getting any smaller.

I hope he tears it up in AAA this year, and we can trade him for a decent return. Put him with a Harang and we should be able to get something nice and useful for us in a position of need.

PEACE

-BLEEDS

Vottomatic
03-15-2010, 09:33 PM
I would rather put a Heisey out there, who should be able to put up an .800-.850 OPS and can actually field his position very wll, than Alonso.
All reports are that he would be a horrible defender. He's struggling to defend 1B, and he's not a guy who projects to age well.

I just think he projects much better as a 1B/DH type in the AL. We should take advantage of this potential log-jam and trade talent for talent.

PEACE

-BLEEDS

I have felt this way for awhile.

Alonso is on the block. They're just waiting for him to put up stellar numbers in triple AAA to go with his reputation and high prospect ranking.

Heisey is the LFer of the future.

Your future outfield is LF Heisey, CF Stubbs/Dickerson RF Bruce.........with Dickerson backing up all positions. I'm still not completely sold on Stubbs, but I want to be.

Vottomatic
03-15-2010, 09:34 PM
I wouldn't even go that far. Have you seen him play 1B so far this Spring? He doesn't look like he has a clue. How many errors thus far?
Sure it's only Spring, but sheeesh!

I think he's a DH. He ain't getting any smaller.

I hope he tears it up in AAA this year, and we can trade him for a decent return. Put him with a Harang and we should be able to get something nice and useful for us in a position of need.

PEACE

-BLEEDS

He's not Edgar Martinez yet, but that's who he reminds me of. A DH definitely.