PDA

View Full Version : Bill James Young Talent Inventory

Benihana
03-06-2010, 02:05 PM
In his 2010 Gold Mine book, Bill James ranks organizations based off of how much talent they have in the organization under the age of 26. From what I've heard, the Reds rank...27th????

Johnny Cueto
Homer Bailey
Edinson Volquez
Mike Leake
Aroldis Chapman (not sure if he was signed when the list was published)
Jay Bruce
Joey Votto (not sure if he counts or not, as he turns 27 this year)
Drew Stubbs
Todd Frazier
Yonder Alonso

WTF????

(Maybe this thread should be in The ORG)

Farnsie
03-06-2010, 03:42 PM
Agreed. WTF!!!??

MBZags
03-06-2010, 03:48 PM
It's especially baffling considering the Reds were ranked 15th last year: http://insidethedodgers.mlblogs.com/archives/2010/03/bill_james_calls_dodgers_11_in.html

What have they done in the interim? Add Chapman and Leake while losing Stewart.

I don't get it.

REDblooded
03-06-2010, 04:19 PM
It's especially baffling considering the Reds were ranked 15th last year: http://insidethedodgers.mlblogs.com/archives/2010/03/bill_james_calls_dodgers_11_in.html

What have they done in the interim? Add Chapman and Leake while losing Stewart.

I don't get it.

Clearly they messed up an amazing draft... :eek:

jk... but if I keep seeing more outings out of Scheppers like the one he put up the other day, I'm really gonna hate Boxberger...

OnBaseMachine
03-06-2010, 08:54 PM
Pretty awful list if you ask me. There's very few teams with more young talent than the Reds. IMO.

Kingspoint
03-07-2010, 01:08 AM
Bill James' opinions ceased to matter once he took a job with the Red Sox.

He became a biased analyst from that day forward.

Kingspoint
03-07-2010, 01:09 AM
Pretty awful list if you ask me. There's very few teams with more young talent than the Reds. IMO.

You read most any comments from anywhere and they all agree that teams would give anything to have the depth the REDS have.

Topcat
03-07-2010, 09:24 PM
You read most any comments from anywhere and they all agree that teams would give anything to have the depth the REDS have.

Agreed and pitching depth is king. I believe the Redsox have equal depth but anyone else no freakin way.

GIDP
03-07-2010, 10:03 PM
Hes crazy. Some of those teams he has above the Reds barely have any talent to begin with.

dougdirt
03-08-2010, 12:25 AM
Agreed and pitching depth is king. I believe the Redsox have equal depth but anyone else no freakin way.

Rays.

klw
03-19-2010, 05:50 PM
C. Trent asked James about the ranking
http://cnati.com/spring-training-201...part-1-001559/

Quote:
CTR: I saw in your book, the Reds weren't very high in your "young talent meter" however, most of the Reds' top players are young and their hope lies mostly in young players.

BJ: Votto should score well in our system, but the guys Hanigan and Janish - even though I absolutely love Paul Janish - they don't score highly on the young talent meter because they haven't yet proven they can play every day on the Major League level.